[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a simple fantasy tabletop RPG with realistic combat OTHER
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: image006.jpg (48 KB, 401x727) Image search: [Google]
image006.jpg
48 KB, 401x727
What is a simple fantasy tabletop RPG with realistic combat OTHER than GURPS or Savage Worlds? (My players are sick of both).
>>
>>47637058
>fantasy RPG
>realistic combat
:/
>>
>>47637058
Riddle of Steel
Barbarians of Lemoria
RuneQuest (notably more crunch)
The Burning Wheel
>>
File: 001.jpg (794 KB, 1600x1147) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
794 KB, 1600x1147
>>47637070
This is the issue I ran into as well. By realistic I meant that I want most people to die in 1-2 hits of a sword without armor. Magic is optional. This kind of shit only seems to happen in GURPS.
>>
>>47637199
See >>47637184
>>
>>47637199
Riddle of steel then. It's a bit more finicky, but a groin hit from a lucerne hammer will kill
>>
Theres a three part special about burning wheel combat. Heres part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXX42WGZqYU

I dont know if theres a better resource for that currently.
>>
File: 002.jpg (775 KB, 1600x1163) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
775 KB, 1600x1163
>>47637419
This sounds like a nightmare to be honest. I think the idea is interesting but all the terms, actions, and new information would need to be learned. Not to mention all the players (including myself) would have to forget seemingly everything we know about our current favorite fantasy tabletop games.

I've always thought Burning Wheel is this incredibly interesting (but unreachable) game that I don't have the patience to learn.
>>
>>47637058
Might sound like bait, but
>Basic D&D
Simple, lethal, and simulates a range of weapons and armor.

It becomes progressively less realistic the more you get into unrealistic things, but magic, HP totals, damage, and so on never reach the level of bloat that they do in later editions.

For my money, Savage Worlds did not seem to have any special quality of realism or believability. It's just another way of stacking up some numbers and saying "Joe the fighter has more fight points than Tim the thief".
>>
>>47637979
You could throw out fight mechanics and just roll swords against each other.

You DID ask for realistic combat...

If you want realistic, "fight!" is for realistic.
>>
File: gutsybait.jpg (145 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
gutsybait.jpg
145 KB, 680x989
>>47637058
>fantasy tabletop RPG with realistic combat
>>
File: 003.jpg (604 KB, 1186x1600) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
604 KB, 1186x1600
>>47638613
Fuck's sake.
I want a system with realistic medieval weapon fighting that slightly favors the PCs. The reason I said fantasy is because I want it to account for possibly magic effects such as being lit aflame or explosions.
>>
>>47639033
Ars Magica, WFRP, any OSR of basic dnd, dungeon world, runequest, Reign, A Song of Fire and Ice, Harn World, AGE felt pretty brutal as well.
>>
>>47637419
the burning wheel core rules anyone??
>>
>>47639033

Just make your own faggot.

Basic weapons deal d6
Everyone has 10 health base.

There you go, everyone dies in 2-3 hits.
>>
File: 004.jpg (751 KB, 1600x1159) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
751 KB, 1600x1159
>>47639724
I was actually working on something similar to this. I just don't want to start working on something that may end up being broken if there is a perfect game that was already made by professional designers who did all the heavy lifting for me.
>>
Song of swords?

>>47566756
>>
>>47639404
It doesn't exist in PDF form, so one would have to scan the pages to share.

If people weren't so intimidated to play it I would say its worth the buy, but its been a year now and people are wankers.

Unless you were asking for the book title, which is "Burning Wheel Gold" which I doubt.
>>
>>47639404
>>47640426
https://mega.nz/#F!0pZkQAoY!WOv8QDEY6vaG1BdiVOBofw
>>
Song of Swords (free but poorly laid out book)
Riddle of Steel (out of print but easily tormented)
Blade of the Iron Throne
RuneQuest 6 (free version available)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (if it's the lethality you care about, fairly easily tormented)
Basic Roleplaying
Burning Wheel
Rolemaster
Harnmaster
Wild Fields if you happen to be Polish
Aquelarre, maybe, I don't know much about the game.
Maybe some of the OSR stock (easily found in their thread)

The Riddle of Steel descendents, the first three on this list, are probably the most realistic but also the most complex. RuneQuest and BRP are still up there and detailed, but less chunky. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is pretty simple but much less detailed. OSR games are dirt simple but extremely broad in their scope, and not very detailed. The other games I have only heard about, and can provide no feedback on.

You're actually spoiled for choice in this genre, at multiple levels of complexity and lethality.
>>
>>47640538
I am a dumb phoneposter. I mean download the books, not torture them eternally.
>>
>>47640538
>literally about to make this list
My melanin enhanced kindred!
>>
File: 1463547657431.gif (777 KB, 233x173) Image search: [Google]
1463547657431.gif
777 KB, 233x173
>>47640538
>Easily tormented
:(
>>
>>47640443
Is this real life
>>
>>47640538
In Aquelarre you used to be able to die in the character creation, I think they repaired that in the new edition than has goat art. It's a brp based game and very much makes you be smart about who and what do you fight because lots of monsters will make mincemeat of nearly all parties and even humans tend to be hard to fight with if now well equiped and trained.
>>
>>47641050
I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Anyone have links/uploads?
>>
Runequest/ Openquest/ Legend. You can get the basic rules free, or practically free. Fairly brutal and realistic combat, but still a relatively simple system.
>>
>>47637276
Groin hit from a lot of thing will kill.
As we discovered from the mace wielding psychopath played by our GMs girlfriend
>>
>>47639033
King Arthur Pendragon is pretty solid. The combat rules are not complicated (though they can be unintuitive if you're used to other games, a lot of people forget you only get to move OR fight in one turn). It's much more interested in the stakes and consequences of each fight than taking the time to play it out in detail. A knight's armour will deflect 90% of attacks, but crits are always a risk and are extremely dangerous. A single solid wound will put you out of a fight, and that can be terrifying if it happens in the press of battle. The players usually have an advantage because they have more opportunities to invoke their Passions to give themselves an edge over unimportant NPCs, but even so you're taking your life in your hands every time you draw steel.
>>
>>47643216
why is it always the girlfriends?

>>47643313
Agreed, Pendragon is pretty good for what you are looking for if you dont like the complexity of Riddles combat system.
>>
File: nerf lancelot now.jpg (183 KB, 819x473) Image search: [Google]
nerf lancelot now.jpg
183 KB, 819x473
>>47643313
>A single solid wound will put you out of a fight

This can't be emphasised enough. Pendragon combat is absolutely brutal. Even with light wounds you're likely to spend time in bed healing up, and a single major wound is a bloody catastrophe unless you luck out on the Valorous and Current HP rolls and can keep on fighting. And even then you're going to be spending time in bed for a while, hopefully under the supervision of a good healer.

The Passions are something I'd love other games took up. I can't remember any other game where you can literally love your wife so much you aim better when defending her, or hate Welshmen so much you're unstoppable against one of them in a tournament.
>>
>>47637070
>>47638613
How to spot dnd-faggot 101
>>
>>47637058
GURPS with a different tone/ruleset.
>>
>>47637058
I feel let down that vikings never wore horned helmets.

>I always wanted to meet a horny viking.
>>
>>47643684

>The Passions are something I'd love other games took up. I can't remember any other game where you can literally love your wife so much you aim better when defending her, or hate Welshmen so much you're unstoppable against one of them in a tournament.

Fate works that way, more or less, though the mechanic is more general and dependent on a meta-currency.

Pendragon doesn't get enough love. It's old now, but few games so thoroughly accomplish what they set out to do. It has a narrow premise, and the rules totally support it. The passions are perfect for emulating tales of chivalry, even down to the temporary madness.

Sometimes you just hate Saxons so much that you have to run off into the woods to live as a hermit for a while.
>>
File: lancelot fails a SAN check.jpg (108 KB, 547x426) Image search: [Google]
lancelot fails a SAN check.jpg
108 KB, 547x426
>>47648312
The Saxon-hatin' madman is in good company. Even Lancelot went mad sometimes.
>>
>>47643313
Anyone have a link? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
>>
File: 005.jpg (288 KB, 1200x739) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
288 KB, 1200x739
>>47648162
A bit of a letdown, but they look neat otherwise.
>>
>>47637058
MYFAROG m8
>>
>>47643684
Passions are in RuneQuest and work the same way.
>>
>>47637058
>What is a simple fantasy tabletop RPG with realistic combat OTHER than GURPS or Savage Worlds?
Sword Path Glory (would be fantasy with some sourcebook with monsters and magic, never released, use the magic system from rhand morningstar, its almost what would be on the never released sourcebook)
Rhand Morninsgtar Mission (its actually science fantasy [instead of monsters its aliens and its post apocaliptyic] but you still have magic)
Riddle of Steel
Rolemaster
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.