[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that 4e never got a Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 4e.jpg (97 KB, 600x285) Image search: [Google]
4e.jpg
97 KB, 600x285
Why is it that 4e never got a Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights style video game, even though 4e was better suited to computerized gameplay than basically any other tabletop RPG ever made?

On a scale of highly improbable to impossible, how hard would it be to make this happen?
>>
>>47631956
How hard would it be to recreate FFT?

I am not a programmer, I do not know
>>
>>47631956
>even though 4e was better suited to computerized gameplay than basically any other tabletop RPG ever made
Actually it wasn't. Interrupts would be very annoying to program into a videogame but are a lot easier to play out in a tabletop format.
>>
Neverwinter Online is pretty much 4E.
>>
>>47631956
They did though, it's just called Neverwinter, and it's terrible.
>>
>>47632026
>attack hits
>game slows/pauses, allows you to select a reaction from a list of glowing reaction icons
>game returns to normal speed/unpauses, combat continues
Easy.

>>47632061
It's not though. It doesn't work the same way as the tabletop game at all, it just borrows some terminology.
>>
>>47632026
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>47631956
PC gayming was already dead.
Consoles have no time for this nerds bullshit.
>>
>>47632015
It had a PSP port with bits of extra content, then the director made an actual remake with psp Tactics Ogre. Now he's stuck in development hell for a crowdfunded tactic rpg that was supposed to be a spriritual successor.

>>47631956
I think the Neverwinter MMO is based of 4e. It isn't much of a tabletop RPG, but it's a decent MMO. Or at least was when I played during the first tiamat patch.
>>
>>47632111
>attack hits
>game slows/pauses, allows you to select a reaction from a list of glowing reaction icons
>game returns to normal speed/unpauses, combat continues
>Easy.

That's a horrible mechanic. Install Yu Gi Oh Kaibas Revenge or something and see for yourself.
>>
>>47631956
D&D based games ran afoul of some gaming industry memes during the 4th edition.

The baked bean salesmen and accountant lawyers that become executives don't know anything about the industry, but like to believe that they possess business shaman magic and can see trends before anyone else. Usually this results on them all spotting the same false indicators and moving all their resources around to make themselves right, even when the fundamental idea is wrong.

One of these imaginary trends was the much-vaunted death of the PC gaming market, which has proven to be completely fucking retarded. Since D&D based games only really exist on PC, none of them got made.
>>
>>47632449
>Install Yu Gi Oh Kaibas Revenge

I'm sorry, what? I don't generally install children's anime card games because I do not generally play children's anime card games.
>>
>>47632651
>One of these imaginary trends was the much-vaunted death of the PC gaming market, which has proven to be completely fucking retarded. Since D&D based games only really exist on PC, none of them got made.
It's less that, and more that the MMO, and later the F2P online-only games killed the western RPG for the better part of a decade.
>>
>>47632026
Very much this. Reactions would be very annoying to deal with.
>>
There was that Neverwinter MMO, wasn't there?
>>
>>47631956
Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale. It was released on Xbox live Arcade in 2011. It prided itself on being based on 4e.
>>
>>47632653
The other guy is right though, imagine if you had to play a little quicktime game after every single time you got hit, would really break combat.
>>
>>47633210
Although it was shit.
>>
>>47633299
But reactions don't occur on every hit, xcom deals with reactions and it plays perfectly fine.
>>
>>47633321
It exists though.
>>
>>47632339
Oh shit, is that what happened to that "FFT but you swap viewpoints to see the war" thing?

>>47632653
>not willing to play Pretty Pony Girl Power Weaboo Social Justice Furry Adventure in pursuit of the betterment of his craft
>>
>>47633337
Yes, but that's because a character in Xcom either:
>Has a passive ability that allows them to take a reaction on X condition (such as Return Fire in XCOM2)
or:
>The character spends their own action preparing this single specific reaction

Or, in old x-com, it was just automatic reaction shots based on remaining TU at the end of a turn.

But that usually only gives a character a single, automatic type of reaction, wheras a 4e character might have half a dozen or more reaction abilities to pick from, some being encounter or daily powers.
>>
>>47633210
They promised me Gamma World. :(
>>
Eberron Unlimited is 4e.
>>
>>47634031
>Eberron Unlimited
You mean DDO? It came out during 3.5, and was based on the spell points system from Unearthed Aracana.
>>
>>47633497
It's been a while, but from what I remember 4e only allows one reaction per round for each character. Assuming the AI controls most of the party, that doesn't sound like too much to ask.
>>
>>47631956
Man I know, th system is so crispy that it would make the PERFECT videogame and not even that hard to program, you have the whole system right there. Some little tactical game to play. Damn no body made anything like it.
>>
>>47631956
>Why is it that 4e never got a Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights style video game, even though 4e was better suited to computerized gameplay than basically any other tabletop RPG ever made?
Licensing. Atari (I think) had exclusive rights to D&D video games for 90% of 4e's life.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.