[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> 1st Printing April 1995 > Page 9 > A Note About Pronouns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: phb_2ed_r2.gif (49 KB, 362x475) Image search: [Google]
phb_2ed_r2.gif
49 KB, 362x475
> 1st Printing April 1995
> Page 9
> A Note About Pronouns
> "The male pronoun (he, him, his) is used exclusively throughout the AD&D game rules. We hope that this won't be construed by anyone to be an attempt to exclude females from the game or imply their exclusion. Centuries of use have neutered the male pronoun. In written material it is clear, concise, and familiar. Nothing else is. "
>>
>>47624572
Ok
>>
Times change. All order is fleeting. Adapt or perish.
>>
>>47624601

Not really. This shit is cyclical: The roaring 20s was the height of sexual freedom. Then there was WWII, and everything went back to normal. After that, there was the Summer of Love, which became the Autumn of Discontent and the Winter of Selling-Out Big Time.

We're just waiting for the next war.
>>
>>47624572
Would it upset you less if Paizo wasted page space to write the opposite?

5e has the best use of pronouns.
>>
>>47624601
Shape or be shaped
>>
>>47624633
>>5e has the best use of pronouns.
How does 5e use pronouns?
>>
>>47624666
It's second person, spells or abilities targeting creatures say "creature" or "it", targeting players it say "they" or "he or she" (the last one is very rare).
>>
>>47624572
Personally I prefer what 3E did, which was have the pronouns for a class match up with that class' iconic character.

So Mialee was a female wizard, so wizards were "she". Tordek was a male fighter so fighters were "he". And so on.

I miss having iconics, too...
>>
Why is this even a problem? What compels you to give a shit about what pronouns are used on a rulebook?
>>
>>47624841
I personally don't, but people who do are so fucking annoying
>>
>>47624808
That is actually pretty clever. At last I found something about 3e I like.
>>
>>47624841
neo/pol/ brainwashing
>>
>>47624921
Pathfinder does it too.
>>
>>47624841
Why do you browse /tg/ if you don't read rulebooks? because if you did you'd know why this is a problem.
>>
>>47624999
Yeah but pathfinder is just a shittier 3.5 so why even mention it.
>>
>>47624921
It sounds clever, but it's actually a nightmare to read.
>>
>>47624841
Because muddying the flow of language for political reasons where it does not belong is cancer.

>>47624935
> Implying that pointing out how standard English works is brainwashing.
Reason is the greatest enemy of ideology.
>>
>>47624754
>Using "they" as singular
I blame my 8th grade English teacher, but that just bugs me a lot.

Not as much as can/may mixup (but what bugs me about that is, because of my dad, I habitually correct people and it makes me look like an ass).
>>
>>47625042
...why?
>>
>>47626696
Even the most SJW approved style guides don't recommend alternating pronouns, It's distracting as fuck but Pathfinder takes it to the next level because of how it's written; tens of different authors writing in completely different styles using different pronouns and often alternative been them mid-sentence.
>>
>>47624754
That's clear, almost as concise, and a lot less familiar.
>Nothing else is.
>>
>>47624572
Yes, and?

>>47625019
I do, and I still don't see.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.