[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Tank Commanders Need to Stick Their Head Out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 40k-pask.jpg (42 KB, 400x287) Image search: [Google]
40k-pask.jpg
42 KB, 400x287
To field an ig tank commander, does the tank commander have to dangerously stick his head out of the vehicle? Can I field one with the top of the tank closed.
>>
>>47624283
The chances of getting shot by a lost bullet are affordable considering the superior tactical view you get sticking your head out. This is the IG, son.
>>
There were actually small view ports in the cupola just so that in a serious firefight the commander could still have some vision. That's just our tanks though, IG might not care if the commander gets shot up a bit.
>>
Raising your head out improves your awareness fucking lot because the view ports that vehicles have have small FoV. In combat situation it is not adviced because dead commander means dead tank. But you can open the hatch a little and peek out. Those gem like things on IG tank are the view ports btw
>>
This is 40k. He might reasonably be assumed to have a force field built into his hat that matches the tank's AV.
>>
See that hatch behind his back?
I'm starting to suspect that it is there to keep him from being shot in the back by his own guardsmen.
>>
>>47624314
>considering the superior tactical view you get sticking your head out.

This is almost just as true in real life.
>>
>>47624283
I'd say it's okay, so long as you have something to denote that it's your command tank, like a distinct painted symbol on the outside or something.
>>
>>47624283
>>47624367 is right, but in a combat situation a real commander would only slightly peak out of the hatch. some tanks even have the so called "umbrella" position for the commanders hatch where the top part still protects the commander
>pic related

the russians on the other hand have the hinge of the hatch in front, protectiong the commander if he opens the hatch in combat. but with the added malus of having to look over it when trying to look in front of the tank. this is mostly because of doctrine differences: while the west usually has their hatches open in combat and buttoning up only during artillery or chemical attacks, eastern tankers are expected to fight all buttoned up
for more info go on /k/ and search for the /thg/ thread
>>
>>47624314
What's that quote from a tank commander about- hold on, internet.

>Col Martin ended his briefing at Bovington by quoting a Second World War tank commander just after an engagement with the enemy. The anonymous officer said: "The 75mm is firing but the 37mm is firing traverse round the wrong way. The Browning has jammed. I am saying 'driver advance' on the radio set and the driver, who cannot hear me, is reversing and as I look out of the top of the turret and see 12 enemy tanks 50 yards away someone hands me a cheese sandwich."

Yeah, that's about right.
>>
>>47625681
>"umbrella" position
I know what I'm putting on all my IG tanks now.
>>
>>47624283
rules wise, yes you can field a tank commandet inside his tank, just be sure to put a marker or indicator on the tank
>>
>>47624283
Since the IG are WWI/WWII in space, I feel it's relevant to mention that most tankers in WWII kept the hatches open, since it massively increased their situational awareness, which was more useful for surviving and fighting than keeping everyone inside the tank. Only in really short range engagements would they close up.
>>
>>47627333
post pics when you're done
>>
>>47624283
with modern tanks? no you don't need to raise your head out.

with tanks from ww2? yea you pretty much needed to raise your head out so you have perfect vision. IG is modelled after soldiers from ww2 so it fits the setting, plus it shows how fucking badass they are.
>>
>>47630388
they still do, go ask /k/ about it if you don't believe me
>>
>>47630388
They will soon. The U.S. Army is removing the CROWS system from all of their Abrams tanks. They're upset about how the CROWS, while it gives the commander safety and thermal vision, still heavily limits what they can see. Even if they open the hatch and peek out normally, now they have the system sitting in front of them and blocking their view.
>>
>>47631180
What's Crows?
>>
>>47632846
It's a remotely operated weapon (generally a machinegun) on top of a vehicle. Keeps the person who is using it safe while operating it. However, as anon has stated, they're so tall that they hinder a tank commander's vision, and thus situational awareness. That's why they're making low profile versions.
>>
File: brad pitt fury.jpg (282 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
brad pitt fury.jpg
282 KB, 1280x720
Of course it's more dangerous but sometimes you need to get a better vision of the battlefield, communicate with infantry around your tank, or man mounted machine guns or other weapons.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.