[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best star wars rpg system/newbie friendly/rules
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: star_wars_battlefront_dice.0.jpg (149 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_battlefront_dice.0.jpg
149 KB, 1280x720
What's the best star wars rpg system/newbie friendly/rules light?

Basically having to homebrew the shit out of some stuff. Friends love sw imperial alliance but want "more"

What system will let me combine them best/easiest?
>>
File: darths0001.jpg (168 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
darths0001.jpg
168 KB, 600x800
>>47621633
>Star Wars setting
>Easy to mod
>Incredibly flexible
>No boring franchise game

StarORE

>free
>fast
>excellent

To appreciate what it can do you should have a look at Reign, A Dirty World, Better Angels, Wild Talents, Monsters and Other Childish Things, and the ORE Toolkit. But you can play out of the box, the mechanics are very easy.

You won't find better mechanics, or a game that scales and mods better than ORE. Fluff with anything you like, from OT to Rebels, and may I suggest the Ultimate Visual Guide?
>>
Star Wars d20. Or Savage worlds with the sci-fi companion
>>
>>47621633
the d6
FFG's Star wars RPGs
or >>47622029
>>
>>47622029

Seems interesting, but are there any additional lists for enemies and vehicles, or does the GM have to roll them up himself?
>>
>>47621633
Star Wars D6
>>
I personally say Star Wars D20 by Wizards of the Coast (NOT the Saga Edition) because it's easy to understand, fun, and super duper easy to mod/homebrew for.
>>
File: Dr000001.jpg (56 KB, 800x501) Image search: [Google]
Dr000001.jpg
56 KB, 800x501
>>47622259
It's 13 pages, dude.
There's a brilliant concept behind it, but you have to make your own details.

If you want pages of tables and lists then it depends on what flavor you are looking for.
For OT the WEG Star Wars is hard to beat. The mechanics are old, but the fluff is on point.
For Prequels and cartoons the FFG license is the only official source.
StarORE is for people who own Star Wars art books and write articles on Wookipedia.
>>
>>47622075
Star Wars D20 sucks major balls
>>
D6 or FFG.
People getting butthurt about the FFG dice need to shut the fuck up, realise it's not that hard to work out the results of a roll, there are conversion tables in the corebook for regular dice and the beginner boxes for all three gamelines have a set inside them.

What're you trying to homebrew, OP?
>>
>>47622520
Personally, I just downloaded an apk. file.
The major problems I have with the FFG system are.
>redundant and unbalanced talent trees (and related expansion books moneygrabbing)
>awful gear balancing in a system that is pretty gear based
>dark side force users getting mechanically fucked

But overall, it's a decent system which satisfies OP criteria.

WEG d6 is also solid and fairly easy, if a bit dated.
>>
>>47622316
This.
>>
>D20 because DnD
>This is wisdom because all I know
Don't ever handle fire arms. Please.

While Star Wars in Force mode is one of the few non DnD settings that can work with D20 mechanics, I don't know why anyone would want to spend hours resolving combat when there's actually decent systems available.
>>
File: image.jpg (298 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298 KB, 752x1063
>>47621633
FFG Feels the most like Star Wars. It's cinematic with a really immersive dice mechanic.
D20 feels too much like D&D in space. Too crunchy.
D6 would be my second choice. Good system but still doesn't achieve that cooperative story telling you get with FFG.

As for FFG being too expensive, you get what you pay for.
>>
>>47624203
>redundant and unbalanced talent trees
Wut
>dark side users getting mechanically fucked
That's why it's the fucking dark side, genius. It may be the quick and easy path, but in the end it ruins all who embrace it.
>>
Really gonna second the ffg games.

The dice and strain systems really the only hard things to pick up.

The obligation system teaches newbies how to rp and gives their characters histories that matter.

It's easy to mix too as most of the stats and rules are simple.
>>
http://d6holocron.com/downloads/books/REUP.pdf

Star Wars d6 by megaparsecs. If you backtrack the URL for this particular book, the site also has every other SWd6 book in PDF form.

Dark Side users are explicitly NPCs, though, to the point that if you accumulate too many Dark Side points you hand the sheet over to the DM as a new villain and make a new character.
>>
>>47625523
>wut
Example off the top of my head: Quartermaster tree. Meh talents, and the pathing is truly awful, allowing no choice.
Some other trees are almost identical, only with redesigned pathways.
I'm surprised that a company that gave us a good classless system with their 40k rpgs employs such a system.
Well, at $7 the specialization deck and $30-$40 the expansion book, not entirely surprised

>It may be the quick and easy path
Yeah, but it's not even quick and easy. The dice isn't better, the hp/strain is a poor tradeoff, and on top of it you gain massive penalties for the whole party.
A system where the dark side is more powerful but where you give DS token to the GM, making it a short term advantage but a long term disaster, would have been great mechanically and thematically perfect.
Insted it's just "get fucked, and get fucked on top of it".
>fucking
>genius
who peed in you coffee, anon? Chill out.

On top of it, AoE rules are completely redundant with EotE (FoD, a bit less). Most companies would have released a Core Rulebook and expansions for the various experiences, instead of those parallel product lines.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.