[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any one else here has a group that reunites like once or twice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 1394151742297.jpg (336 KB, 935x1000) Image search: [Google]
1394151742297.jpg
336 KB, 935x1000
Any one else here has a group that reunites like once or twice a month?
How can I (the DM) make everytime we come together worthwhile?
>>
>>47618308
Your question is irrelevant and your plight ignored because you committed the classic blunder.

You posted with images of cats, you fucking idiot. Do you know what you've done?
>>
>>47618308
What kind of cat are these?
>>
File: Cats&Cash15.jpg (57 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Cats&Cash15.jpg
57 KB, 600x450
>>
>>47618308
I have two groups like that. We just have all day sessions
>>
>>47618641
gold
no really

>>47618996
That is very good but not possible with my group.
>>
>>47618308
Minimize the time you spend not actually playing. You don't meet too often, so if you can get everyone a day/afternoon/few hours of not having to deal with the outside world and just play some tabletop is the best thing you can do.

Get a quiet room if you can, have things set up beforehand, have food readily available (getting food can be a huge time waster in the middle of the game). Basically, set it up so that when your players walk into the room, they enter your game world, and they don't leave until the day is done.
>>
>>47618308
Yes but our groups are suposed to be weekly
>>
Play some game like w.o.d where you have massive amounts of personal downtime and come together to deal with problems or do real investigations.

That or play a series of short adventures, revolving around several adventure groups.

My group meets once a month but we hang out/play for close to 15 hours and switch out gms for half sessions. Three of us also have a small dark heresy game focusing around different cells of a inquisitor, only bringing out all characters in massive missions.
>>
>>47618308

My group meets once every month. Sometimes twice a month if nobody is busy as fuck.

The most important thing I can stress is keep the goddamn game on track. As a player it irks me to no end to put aside a portion of my time to dedicate to playing -and I have to drive five fucking hours to visit these chucklefucks- and to not spend it playing is like a loogie in my face. If dipshits want to socialize with me they can call me any other fucking day of the month. That day is for gaming. Get as much play time as you can in, have structured and dedicated breaks, say for lunch, but besides that your main job is to keep these knuckleheads focused.
>>
Bawdy wenches.
>>
bamp
>>
>>47618308
have cats for the players to pet, duh
>>
>>47618308
>Any one else here has a group that reunites like once or twice a month?
Once everybody is out of school and busy with families and careers, you'll be lucky if you get to play once or twice a month.
>>
>>47618308
I have a group like that and it's in another city to boot.

All day sessions, and we all cook together for lunch.
>>
>>47619582
This. You want to sit and tell funny stories and crack one-liners? Go to a fucking comedy store and do stand up.

Sit, play, stay on target. The GM can keep his foot on the gas and not let up on what the characters are up to. No ideas? Send in ninjas. Not literally but you get the idea. There's a lull? Give them something to negotiate, a problem, interaction or puzzle.
>>
>>47618308
Where can I get more pictures of cats like these ones?
>>
>>47619582
>>47621985
I dunno guys, I think if your group reaches this point you need to ask yourself:

do you really want to game?

especially when you're older and it's harder for you to see your friends on a regular basis. I mean if all of you really do love getting together to play the D&D then you should crack that whip. but if it's really just about wanting to see each other and hang out maybe it's best to forget the game and just hang out on a regular basis.

secret third option: you're the only one who wants to game. everyone else is all about hanging out, but you wouldn't be with these fuckers if they aren't gonna play D&D. in that case you should probably just find a new group.
>>
File: caracals2.jpg (126 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
caracals2.jpg
126 KB, 1200x800
>>47622097
At least for me 'game day' is a decent excuse to get out of the house that will fly with the wife. So we play games, burn some meat and catch up on shit.

Getting "pissed and causing havoc day" isn't so great a reason.
>>
>>47622152
I assume by "games" you mean various board and card games. that's different. board games are usually played in turns, and the progression isn't terribly chaotic. if people get sidetracked it's easy to get back to what you were doing.

but OP and the two I replied to were talking about RPGs, which y'know are sorta different in terms of progression and level of immersion. when I get together with friends I love playing card games and shit, but I'm not gonna casually whip out my dice and D&D books unless we discussed playing together beforehand.
>>
File: caracals1.jpg (51 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
caracals1.jpg
51 KB, 600x440
>>47622263
Depends, we've had some fairly long rpg campaigns and stuff, board and card games we'll drag out when someone doesn't feel like GM'ing, low on numbers or we're all a bit beat up to come up with something.
We met 22 years ago through rpg's and still continue to play them as time allows. Most of us have jobs, kids, wives and other various stuff which keeps us tied up, but if we can get 1-2x a month its a thing we'll all make time to do.
>>
>>47622328
well whatever floats your guys' boat then. I just don't find RPGs terribly conducive to shooting the shit; it's hard to be Bollox the elf hacker, then have a long discussion with other players, then go back to being Bollox, like "what was I doing again? where are we?" at least with board/card games the state of the game is easily indicated and hard to forget, and I don't have to act and think in character, and there's a clear, discernible goal to achieve, so getting distracted isn't as much of a problem.

before and after playing RPGs is when we usually do any kind of catching up.
>>
>>47618641

Long-haired abyssinians, known also as somali cats.
>>
>>47618308
By being the dm and not being lazy.
>>
>>47618308
I'm running a group like that right now OP. If anything, make sure your sessions don't end on cliff hangers or partway through a dangerous place. Try and give them lots of things to do during the long downtime they'll have. Let them explore the city, speak to NPCS etc and get to you through email/text/whatever.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.