[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>party tries to capture every single fucking person, monster,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: fwug this.png (3 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
fwug this.png
3 KB, 299x300
>party tries to capture every single fucking person, monster, animal, or zombie they fight alive so they can 'interrogate' them

What do they expect to find out, exactly?
>>
they're grasping desperately for plot hooks
>>
>>47617639
About their lives, their dreams, their quirks.
And most importantly:

Their name.
>>
>>47617639
Obviously the power that's inside, anon.
>>
File: 1447059952417.png (890 KB, 500x638) Image search: [Google]
1447059952417.png
890 KB, 500x638
>>47617639
What music they're into
>>
>party tries to search the broom closet for several minutes, finding no clues that uncover more plot

Players are silly.
Don't be surprised; don't be afraid to feed their assumptions, either.
>>
File: The Undertaker HD Wallpaper_1.jpg (1 MB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
The Undertaker HD Wallpaper_1.jpg
1 MB, 1152x864
>>47617681
>>
>that one guy who insists we talk to any mob which looks like it could have some intelligence, even if it attacks us
>it didn't work with the ghouls
>it didn't work with the tentacle demon thing
>it didn't work with the drow cultist who summoned it
>he's gonna try until it works though
>>
>>47620874
Maybe give him what he wants at least once?
>>
File: tell me.png (179 KB, 626x323) Image search: [Google]
tell me.png
179 KB, 626x323
>>47617669
I think a better question would be why the prisoner's employer wears the mask.
>>
>>47620898
I'm not the DM, just the druid who gives him a chance by casting a non offensive spell if I go first and gets the first attack in the face
>the ghouls bit me
>the tentacle monster grappled the rogue and nearly killed her
>the drow had a ton of willpower and couldn't be persuaded to not stick his poisoned knife in the same rogue
>>
File: Angry commisar.png (133 KB, 232x221) Image search: [Google]
Angry commisar.png
133 KB, 232x221
>>47617669
>Their name.

Jesus christ stop asking for that, they are mooks! MOOKS! AAAAAH!
>>
>>47617673
Underrated post.
>>
>>47620898
That will just encourage him.
>>
File: 1458517622077.jpg (55 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458517622077.jpg
55 KB, 640x640
>>47617639
>Person
what they know
>Monster
What they have
>animals
do they taste good?
>zombies
braaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnssssss.
>>
>>47617669
>'N-name?'
>'No sir, oh no, I'm just a support NPC, I don't got one o' them fancy 'names', y'see?'
>'Don't really got a past, either. I was spawned in five minutes before y'all got here. Hell of a thing, that.'

Don't try to question mooks
>>
File: Buster.jpg (66 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Buster.jpg
66 KB, 250x250
>>47617639
>subtlety is wasted on so many

Awright buster, we gotta few questions for you!
>aloha snackbar [detonates shoe bomb]

Maybe after a few of the PCs are hospitalised and/or permanently maimed, we can expect them to figure out that changing their irritatingly obsessive behaviour could prove beneficial to the party in the long run.
>>
>>47620874
Why doesn't the GM tell him once and for all that it's not worth trying?
>>
>>47617639

"Who is your daddy and what does he do?"
>>
>>47620983
>stick his poisoned knife in the same rogue
Too lewd.
>>
>>47617639
They expect to find out that they themselves are good people. And who the one fuck in their midst is who is actually trying to kill everything in sight because they harbor a ridiculous bloodlust.
>>
>>47617639
>What do they expect to find out, exactly?

Try capturing and interrogating them to find out.
>>
>>47621049
Then make something up.
>>
>>47617639
I don't know, but eventually you should just have the animals giving accurate information.

Only the animals.
>>
Idea. Just say "he tells you his name". The PC now knows the name in character. You can give a meta explanation for why they don't hear the name out of character.

Too smartass?
>>
File: no_Secrets.png (140 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
no_Secrets.png
140 KB, 500x250
If that was me, I'd be capturing them so I can try to learn enemy plans, location of traps, other enemies in the area, locations of other strongholds, location of treasure, and other useful stuff. Also, it's practically begging the GM to use those exchanges to deliver lore and plot info.

Of course, the problem with any type of intelligence-gathering in RPGs is that it requires the GM to be willing to give you the information you want. That usually isn't the case, as GMs are a fickle bunch who quickly tire of giving out information they didn't plan to give. And when they do stop rewarding intelligence-gathering (or in extreme cases, contrive scenarios whose sole purpose of punishing the party's standard procedure), they risk pushing the party a step closer to adopting murderhobo behaviors.

On the other hand, if your players simply killed all the enemies without once questioning their motives, you might be coming to us asking why they're all heartless, brainless killers who don't leave anyone alive or try to learn anything about the world.
>>
>>47623053
Clever girl.
>>
>>47623300
If they do it multiple times I see no problem with them getting the same information each time. Why would mook b know everything mook a knew and then some?
>>
>>47623404
Mook B could have been buddies with a quartermaster who knew where the treasure was, while Mook A might have had to cover few guard shifts and seen prisoners taken to area Y. Mook C might have been snooping around somewhere he wasn't supposed to, and Mook D might be the commander's cousin.
>>
I'd lean into it. Give them a few more nothings, and then something big. Too big. Unveil the beginnings of a giant monster conspiracy, to the point where they can't believe this nobody would know anything about it. They're obviously just lying, right? But as they go on, more stories spill out. The bear they captured talks, and knows about it. The zombie? A lot smarter than it looks, and is willing to spill the beans. And all this isolated confessions are lining up.

This isn't a bad thing. This is an opportunity. They want info? Give it to them.
>>
>>47617666

Nailed it. They're looking for hidden treasures to go plunder, encampments to raid, the list goes on.
>>
Our party does this but instead of interrogating them, we either adopt or befriend them.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.