[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would I use to run a Sherlock Holmes inspired investigation-type
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Sherlock.jpg (125 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Sherlock.jpg
125 KB, 630x420
What would I use to run a Sherlock Holmes inspired investigation-type of game? Or does the mystery genre not translate well to tabletop?
>>
File: Average WoD Session.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
Average WoD Session.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>47614913

Any system with an "Investigation" skill handles it well.

When it comes to detective work in TTRPGs, it's almost entirely built around your ability to construct an interesting and challenging mystery and your players' ability to solve those mysteries without meta-gaming.

Mystery is totally possible in any RPG. You just need the right players.

The only part the system plays is helping you incorporate pertinent thematic elements into the game. For example, you probably wouldn't use Worlds of Darkness for your Bladerunner-style cybernoir game.

Probably.
>>
>>47614913
Bump for curiosity myself.
>>
>>47614913
Here's an article with a bunch of good tips on how to do this:

http://mythcreants.com/blog/five-tips-for-running-a-mystery-game/
>>
>>47614913

Ahem, I believe I can be of some help. I'm running a mystery adventure in Shadowrun 5th, of all things, and my group's crazy about it. You know you got them when they're speculating like mad, scribble down everything you say, and there's this absolutely dumbfounded look on their faces when they put together the clues. The chance they ever go here is so minor I'll type up the adventure if you like.

The aformentioned five tips in the link here >>47617667
are good (esp 2,3,and 4), but I did it slightly differently. The players were presented with a case of a missing person, last spotted with her boyfriend and their ganger friend. The logical places to investigate to find her were her apt, her boyfriend's apt, the gang crashpad, and try to trace her online. All pretty basic stuff. At each location were a series of clues. To notice the clue required a roll, but it was the interpretation that mattered. "Perception" would be rolled for most clues (multiple times, whenever apropos for a clue) and the appropriate academic skill for interpretation. As each location could be searched by multiple people, this gave a reasonable chance to find the clue, but if a specific clue was missed, there was little chance it would be so big as to prevent the investigation's progress. The relevant story was presented by many means - when a comlink was found, its messages and search history were sometimes relevant, each one giving a little insight into the character. In one case, they used the metadata on her social media's pictures to find where a party took place. It's really a lot like writing a novel, but with less words.
>>
>>47614913
if you have a DM who would be willing to time and energy into creating a scene with loads of detail sure. i would put most of your skill points in spot, listen, sneak, gather info, knowledge everything, and none in diplomacy and a low charisma score. i would go with an urban ranger
>>
>>47614913
GUMSHOE
>>
>>47614913
>>47618854
The biggest problem I run into when planning a mystery session is making it so that failure is possible, but if it happens, its because the players didn't figure things out in time; not because they cocked up some tests.
>>
>>47614913
Have good players.
>>
>>47615398
I still love how the animators were able to sneak in that spoiler for V:TMB
>>
>>47619205
Agreed.
>>
>>47614913
ITT:
People who've somehow never heard of CoC or Gumshoe. How does that happen? Surely you are familiar with SOME investigation based RPGs.
>>
>>47619264
That's ultimately exactly what happened. They arrived in time to see her die...the twist? They call her office...and she's at her desk. Who's in the trunk? Which one is real?
>>
>>47618854
>The chance they ever go here is so minor I'll type up the adventure if you like.
DO IT. It's always nice to hear a good story, especially one you can steal liberally from.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.