[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

What area of 5e aside from the ranger do you think most needs work?
>>
>>47603960
the index
>>
>>47603971
d...dang...

>>47603960
the vague sense of abandonment

(it's high time they stopped this adventures-only era and gave us at least some real setting books beyond FR, and maybe some more character options in something approaching a unified location... maybe -- and I'm just spitballing here -- maybe we could call it a PHB2???)
>>
>>47604001
This. Even if it's just one core book with no splats for each setting I'd be happy.
>>
>>47603960
>What area of 5e aside from the ranger do you think most needs work?
>Thinking of asking the general how they would fix the ranger
>figure it would be best to wait for the next thread
>this question
spooky

Anyway, how would /5eg/ fix the ranger? Not looking for longwinded answers here, just looking to brainstorm with you guys.

>remove spellcasting (obviously)
>give Extra Attack (2)
>give foe slayer at level 6; this isn't OP since it scales with wisdom anyways
>>
>>47604045
>obviously
You realize Ranger has been a caster since inception, yes?

Favored Enemy was comparatively an addon.
>>
>>47604045
>Increase to 1/2 CR and Large size
>Maneuvers for companion and owner.
Based on the beasts. Mounts get some, flying creatures get some, everything else gets some.
>Non-casting variant that doesn't have to do with healing
>>
>>47604045
Fuck it. Ranger has nothing that I want neither in mechanics nor fluff. If beastmaster was done well as a summoner/minion controller sort of character that might be interesting but I don't think it can work well in 5e and it's not a niche I'm dying to fill.
>>
>>47604077
>You realize Ranger has been a caster since inception, yes?
I don't give a shit. Nobody wants the half-baked shit that is Ranger spellcasting.

>change Hunter's Mark to a focus-based class feature as opposed to a spell; scale the higher-level casting features by level instead; upgrade the damage die with levels, maxing at a d10
>>
>>47604172
>Change Ranger to an overspecialized version of archer battlemaster and kill the option for arcane archer that Ranger spells allow
Also Hunter's mark is also on Paladin lists.
>>
>>47604188
>oversimplify my suggestion to make it moot
Not an argument or a worthwhile contribution to the thread. Also Hunter's Mark is not also on the Paladin lists; are you drunk?
>>
>>47604045
A few minor fixes to hunter, like colossus slayer scaling

Beast hp being max + (4×ranger level) and CR scaling slightly

And that's pretty much it, people tend to enjoy ranger in my games
>>
>>47604172
>Nobody wants the half-baked shit that is Ranger spellcasting.

Just because you don't doesn't mean people share your opinion, nobody I know would at least. You should probably stop assuming people agree with you.

>>47604229
Vengeance paladin gets hunter's mark
>>
Would it work for a familiar to use the censer of controlling air elementals? I already have my concentration gone, so any extra elementals would be brilliant.
>>
>>47604346
Sorry, I'll correct myself: nobody with half a brain wants the half-baked shit that is Ranger spellcasting. Anyone who wants to be an arrow-shooty swift-quiver ranger who isn't brain-dead will play a Half-Elf bard.
>>
>>47604346
Also this. If anything I've been disappointed that Bard was a full caster.
>>
>>47604375
>nobody with half a brain wants the half-baked shit that is Ranger

Being insulting to people that don't share your opinion doesn't really help your case. And there is onviously no further discussion to be found here.
>>
>>47604376
>If anything I've been disappointed that Bard was a full caster.
Why's that a disappointment? Aside from the fact that Valor bards are steaming dogshit
>>
>>47604045
Completely rework it. Split the class into 3 basic archetypes.
1/2 caster
Fighter-esque
Beast Companion

Half-Caster would have Nature domains, more spells etc.

Fighter style would have some extra feats thrown in every 8 levels, as well as a couple of BETTER traits/feats

Beast companion able to act without requiring any actions from the ranger. Be able to get stronger beasts, OR
Beast Maneuvers/Spells the ranger must prepare ahead of time (Caster style)

Regardless of which archetype is chosen, the ranger is a caster.
>>
>>47604495
>Fighter style would have some extra feats thrown in every 8 levels, as well as a couple of BETTER traits/feats
What do you think of the current Hunter Archetype?

>>47604455
You're right, I'm being a dink. I think it would be nice if the spellcasting wasn't forced so that the martial component didn't need to be gimped.
>>
>>47604495
>Fighter-esque
>Not a Fighter archetype
??

Also, archetypes don't have enough power in 5e to make 1/2 spellcasting one, or a good animal companion honestly. I think completely reworking it begs the question of what it is supposed to be to begin with, and while I think beastmaster and another nature caster can work there's no real niche to fill I think.
>>
>>47604547
It's mediocre. There's specifically certain perks that are better then the others.
Colossus slayer obviously better then giant killer or horde breaker.

Steel will is shit and shouldn't even be in there. Multiattack defense is good. Escape the horde is OKAY but why bother when there are FEATS and ACTIONS you can do that negate opportunity attacks altogether?

Multiattack was good for both of them.
Evasion, uncanny dodge, or stand against the tide? seriously? Uncanny dodge is OKAY compared to the other two. Evasion is better, but Stand against the tide is clearly best because if an enemy is misses you, can you force it to make another attack against another creature. That's too fucking good, specially if it's a high damage attack.

>>47604555
Why not? Who gives a fuck what the other classes have done. This is about Rangers and how to make them better. Archetypes do make a difference in terms of power. Assassin is far stronger over Swashbuckler. Battlemaster is far better then Champion. School of Abjuration 10x better then a lot of other classes.
>>
For starters i'd say that "pet only takes an action if I use an action to tell it to" bullshit needs to be skullfucked straight back into whatever hole of shitty ideas it crawled out of.
>>
>>47604547
The whole point of half-casters is that you trade fightan power for magic utility. If the ranger could compete with the rogue and fighter in damage, I'd be worried. Everyone should be comparing Rangers to Paladins.

Ranger brings really really important utility to a group, if you want to hex crawl, you'll need one in your party. If you don't like hexcrawls or outdoor survival, then don't play a damn ranger. A big reason rangers are seen as bad, is because a lot DMs never do outdoor shit or do it horribly.
>>
>>47604045
Perhaps some way of burning spell slots for a combat benefit akin to paladin smiting. Maybe burn a spell slot for a bonus action attack or 2 bonus action attacks if you already get one from dual wielding or feats or what have you.
>>
>>47604603
>Archetypes do make a difference in terms of power.
I mean that it doesn't give enough. Archetypes are about 1/3 of the powers, with the base class being the remaining 2/3. So you can't have 1/2 caster archetypes, you can't have 10 features, you can't have a CR 1/2 beast that attacks on its own, you can't have something that is as good a fighter as the fighter - when the base class has a lot of power as well. You can break that structure but I don't think that's a smart decision.
>>
>>47604634
They're the only class that was built to do that. That's why it's bad. They shouldn't have been built to excel ONLY at that. While I understand that's the core idealogy of their class, it shouldn't define their entire kit. They excel at nothing compared to other classes. There should be no class that falls off on the damage end unless they're suppose to and in that they should still excel at something that can be supportive to the group. Because of that, players will time over time choose classes that can better help the group then a ranger because they don't offer enough to be part of a D&D party.
>>
File: 1398358314095.jpg (121 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1398358314095.jpg
121 KB, 640x480
>>47604603
I love when newbies try to min-max, it's cute.
>>
>>47603960
>What area of 5e aside from the ranger do you think most needs work?
Rogues

The base class is mediocre passed Evasion.
Sneak Attack is a joke after a while, although maybe the SCAG cantrips fix that with Magic Initiate.
Everything requires the bonus action which means that most of the time you just "gotta go fast" or maybe even hide depending on whether the DM likes combat stealth that day.
Skills checks are too random, and too many different proficiencies are required for basic burglary.

All of the subclasses rely heavily on at least one aspect of DM fiat:
Thief depends on DM generosity with magic items.

Assassin is completely at the mercy of DM generosity with adjudicating Surprise, and also having no enemy casters around with basic detection magic.

Arcane Trickster depends on consistent and favorable interpretations of illusions and valid targets for charm.

Swashbuckler loses their utility if they don't know the right languages. It's ultimately just a patch for shitty dual wielding rules and general disincentives for melee.

Mastermind relies on DM social buy in and they still suffer from magic detection until the very end.

Inquisitive is based on whether or not the DM throws Investigation a bone.

Coming off of modern systems where Rogue types can stun and counterattack and debuff, the class feels very incomplete.
>>
>>47604491
>Valor Bard
>bad
Found the 3aboo

Also mainly because less of a caster focus, like in older edition, means more time to focus on things that are class abilities. Inspiration should be the main mechanic of the bard imo, not just a side thing.

Jester and Blade in UA both show what you could do with inspiration as a more key thing.
>>
>>47604603
Stand against the tide is worthless against single targets, spread out enemies, or ranged attacks. Evasion or uncanny dodge will see much more consistent use.
>>
>>47604638
They already have it, the problem is that primeval awareness is kinda shit
>>
>>47604665
What other classes are you comparing them to exactly and what do you expect from them? And what experiences have you had with them?
>>
>>47604045
>Anyway, how would /5eg/ fix the ranger? Not looking for longwinded answers here, just looking to brainstorm with you guys.

You build it like the Warlock, AKA give it two archetype choices.

Warlocks have a cool thing going for them getting to pick both a Pact Boon and a Patron, allowing nine different varieties of warlock. Sure, there's some annoying overlap with the find familiar ritual, but it otherwise works nicely.

To make the Ranger work, you need to give them two choices, Combat and Support.

For combat, let them be Archers, Tempests, or Scouts. Archers get really cool bonuses to ranged attacks of all sorts. Tempests are masters of two weapon fighting. Scouts are a catch-all school for other weapons built around skirmishing, dealing extra damage dice as long as they move during the turn they strike (from the 3.5 class).

For support, Rangers get to be Seekers, Beastmasters, or Striders. Seekers are attuned to the mystical essence of the wild and get druidic spellcasting. Beastmasters get a better version of the current animal companion rules, as well as powers to revive their beast from near death and command it from afar. Striders are skill monkey rangers with neither magic nor animal friends, but they excel at scouting, leading a party in the wild, and using terrain against their foes.

Hooray, you have a class that keeps the Ranger motif while providing distinct roles no other class quite fills.
>>
>>47604771
> primeval awareness is kinda shit

I think your DM is kinda shit. Being able to find those creature types at such low level is pretty awesome and can lead to some fun adventures.
>>
/5eg/ should be renamed /whine/
>>
>>47604840
I am the DM, and while I try and make exploration and general rangering a big part of my campaigns you can't honestly say primeval awareness is at the same level as smite
>>
Cofession time. I trolled one of my more autistic athiest players by making a reward for a long campaign arc be a boon/brand by Pelor I stole the idea from critical role. His character spat on the ground cursing the god and then he chopped his fucking arm off. The player looked super buttmad, how do I have Pelor respond to this? I'm afraid that doing what I think Pelor wouls do with make the player ragequit.
>>
>>47604836
The magic option will trump the other two and then we're back to square one, except now the class is stuck with (presumably) 1/3 casting instead of 1/2.

Additionally, Hunters are pretty flexible now with regards to switching between melee and ranged so enforced specialization would ultimately hurt the class.
>>
>>47604909
Wow "would do will make the player ragequit".
>>
File: 1463419788477.jpg (6 KB, 197x206) Image search: [Google]
1463419788477.jpg
6 KB, 197x206
Why do people hate on Halflings and gnomes? They lighten the mood in any given situation
>>
>>47604909
Indifferently

He cut his arm off, that's punishment enough. If anything and you really want to make it sting you can have Pelor cauterize his arm so it can never be regrown.

Either way that player can suck a dick, if I gave one of my players a divine boon and he did something like that out of OOC autismo I would make him be constantly accosted by bands of clerics, paladins, holy avengers and even devas
>>
>>47604909
You could also do the opposite of what >>47604984
says, and give them divinely granted regeneration, no matter what he does, he comes back hearty and whole the next morning, waking only with the sunrise.
>>
>>47604926
>I'm afraid that doing what I think Pelor would do will make the player ragequit.

WWPD
>>
>>47604909
>athiest
5e implies Forgotten Realms implies atheists are fucked anyway.

There are Old Testament and Olympian stories where the God(s) will continuously try to court a hero that rejects them, or indirectly fuck with them (kraken) and then offer another carrot.
>>
>>47604909
Pelor's the god of the sun right? Make it so that wherever he walks there's just a constant aura of shade, like somebody's holding an umbrella over him.

He clearly doesn't want the sun's gifts.
>>
>>47605008
I like that approach too, Pelor's gift becomes like divine herpes
>>
>>47605048
>Pelor
>Forgotten Realms
>>
>>47604863
You're the DM? Jesus Christ, you're an insufferable hot mess, I feel sorry for the ranger in your group. You must be absolute shit if you can't see nor felt the adventuring, derailing and hexcrawling rangers can do. Read the damn DMG on Wilderness, and read up the old AD&D Wilderness Survival guide and Dungeoneer Survival Guides for oldfag cred. Give your ranger some bloops n' bleeps on his radar, make it an aasimar babe.

Anyways, Smite is great burst damage and its kinda paladin's thing, comparing it to Primeval Awareness is very silly.
>>
>>47604961
Because deep down, everyone knows that halflings are the most powerful race on the planet and if they ever rise to power to forge a nation of their own...It's game over.
>>
>>47605085
It's not a radar. It tells you if something, not what or how many, is somewhat nearby you, not where it is. You cannot seek out adventure based on it, it changes almost nothing. Seriously, give me one example of it being interesting or useful. I don't agree they need to be able to burn slots for damage or anything but I definitely don't think that feature is generally good or useful.
>>
>>47604909
You could have the brand remain on his stump maybe. It's a god-given mark, it might not be so easy to get rid of. OT, how is the character justified to hate/not believe in the gods? It's always amusing when players think it makes sense to just not believe in gods, one of my fellow players refused a god since he was so... dumb? and had to run away from her followers and leave the party.
>>
>>47604732
>Assassin is completely at the mercy of DM generosity with adjudicating Surprise
I was under the impression there were hard and fast rules for this.
>>
>>47605275
Sneak attack is entirely achievable, everything specific to the assassination archetype excepting advantage in the first round if you have the initiative is entirely dependent on the DM setting up viable situations, or allowing you to do the same routinely to function.
Yes, that's somewhat true for every situation in the game, but it's more effort on everyones part regarding assassin.
>>
>Annoyed by lack of distinction between Gnomes and Halflings
>Refluf Gnomes to be more colorful, take DMG's tip and make Halflings little mouse people
>can't shake the feeling I'll be accused of being a furry

I think I've been sitting in these threads for too long.
>>
>>47605209
I know it's not radar, I was just being bombastic, but you can triangulate with it(character hirelings are glorious). Good way of finding dragon lairs. Remember, it's UP TO 6 Miles in favored, meaning you can change how big it is.

Read Primeval Awareness, it does tell what the creature types are that you sense, just not the number nor exact location. Did you honesty tell your Ranger "You sense spooky stuff around you"? Oh god hilarious.

>>47605275
Stealth and Surprise is DM fiat land, always will be. Perhaps you should read the book and find out.
>>
Why is Grog so fucking based?

https://youtu.be/1GY3HTZE5R0?list=PLqTT_VuffgDP0I6accl0jP5p3kxBRPVPa&t=4135
>>
>>47604909
>I started shit and the player told me to fuck off in character
>how should I fuck up the situation more?
Either he's causing problems in your games and you need to talk to him like an adult or you should fuck off with your bullshit. If he wants to play a retarded character, let him (as long as he isn't disrupting anyone else's fun). Don't spit in his face and get upset when he's mad at you.
>>
>>47604732
>where Rogue types can stun and counterattack and debuff
I miss 4e
>>
>>47605317
Maybe it's just the lower levels then, as a half caster with Hunter's Mark being pretty vital in combat Primeval just doesn't do enough at all. At the same time, you were advocating for it based on how powerful it could be on lower levels, so that shouldn't be it. Have you really had someone triangulate the location of a specific creature they're trying to find, on low levels? In that case it seems much easier to just track them, or you know not go there because it's the same as randomly hearing of the location of an ogre lair and just deciding to go there. That's not a reward or benefit from using the feature, it's just the ability to find new plot hooks.
>>
>>47605317
>Perhaps you should read the book and find out.
Well hey! Fuck you too buddy! I was just trying to get you to clarify something you said, based on my memory of the rule books from reading them myself, but if you want to be an ass about it, that's cool too!
>>
>>47605353
Gah, I just got into 5e and just bumped into this show... I'm 10 episodes in and fairly hooked. Travis and Sam are fucking hilarious, I'd watch this shit it if it were just "The Adventures of Grog and Scanlon". Though I gotta say Orion is a metagaming dick most of the time (yes, I know he's gone later on) and half the stuff Marissa says is cringy as fuuuck. Ashley is goddamn adorable but doesn't seem to be fitting into her role very well (does she get better later on?). Worst part of the show for me though is comparing it to my own group... we're terrible and I wish our DM was half as good as Matt. ;_;
>>
>>47605353
I don't get the love for Grog. He's the typical dumb brute character with a player not really interested in anything beyond combat
>>
>>47605402
It's played well, I think that's mostly it. Being clever and creative with expressing and roleplaying a character can make it really entertaining despite being stereotypical.
>>
>>47605395
I'm not that far but how does Orion metagame? If anything I'd say Percy is the worst for that, rollplaying, staying silent and having very few good moments. And I don't quite agree with Sam, he has good moments for sure but the lulrandumb is way too much at some times.
>>
>>47605048
>implying the wall is still a thing
>implying the wall is a thing for people who aren't in the realms
The wall is literally just Ao being a moron.
>>
>>47605411
>Being clever and creative with expressing and roleplaying a character
He's invisible if the party isn't killing something.
>>
>>47605402
>Dumb Childlike Brute
FTFY

Grog likes things other than combat. Like, grog, and women, and beards, and hanging off boats pretending hes flying, and grog, and keylith pretending shes in a rowboat while shes an earth elemental, and grog, and women, and scanlen, and pike.

>>47605440
Hes roleplaying by himself in the video with an NPC trying to haggle.
>>
>>47605440
For the most part, yes. But he has moments where I'm impressed at his wit, like here haggling for a lower price and stuff.
>>
>>47605353
i have to say grog and scanlan are the best in that group; Vax is a little behind them, and the rest just do not work for me. Keylith is a joke half the time, percy is a power gamer, pike is irrelevant, and Vex... I rarely if ever see her do anything character wise.
>>
>>47605454
This. He doesn't hog the spotlight but most of the time when he siezes the spotlight its usually fucking golden.
>>
>>47605424
Orion gets worse and worse as it goes on. He starts coming up with convoluted strategies that he shouldn't really be able to execute, tries to fudge the rules to succeed at things, calls for DM fiat from his backstory and generally obsesses over becoming the main character. Pity, I liked Tiberius best out of the party.

Scanlan a shit. I don't get how anyone likes him. He's interchangeably gross or creepy while trying to be the suave bard.
>>
>>47605483
I did hear that about him, just curious since he said he was at ep 10, I'm at 7 and he's still cool. I liked him best the early episodes for sure, in the city he was great, but good to know.

Scanlan just shat on a bed, I get what you mean there.
>>
>>47605521
>>47605483
I think scanlan grows on you, the pike x scanlan thing goes from creepy to adorable over time. Its like I definitely get its creepy at the start but then you see scanlan repeatedly risk his life for her doing shit a lot of people wouldn't go out of their way to do even roleplaying. I think its because as time goes on he ends up contrasting with tiberius. While tiberius is busy metagaming and trying to become the main character you see that scanlan roled a bard basically for the sole reason to be a bro, he doesn't do the manipulate npcs to be a douche thing that most bards do. You basically never see scanlan face for the party. He also never fights over magic items, never fights for party gold, ect. He just sings songs to inspire allies so they shine in the spotlight and loves pike.

Scanlan is based.
>>
Suggestions for dealing with paralysis?

4/5 of the party have the ability to paralyze the enemy on a save ends and its invalidating nearly every encounter I throw at them

Thanks to a combination of portent and lucky to force bad saves, they took down an ancient dragon at level 7
>>
>>47605577
>I think scanlan grows on you
He really doesn't. He's that guy and not even funny at it. He's an illustration of why a lot of DMs ban short races besides dwarves.
>>
>>47605586
Don't legendary creatures have auto saves on conditions?
>>
>>47605586
How do they paralyze? An ancient dragon has legendary saves, really high bonuses, and is a very large size (gargantuan?) monster. Anyway, if portent and lucky are the problem, more encounters a day could be one solution.
>>
>>47605587
I dunno his songs have been pretty funny so far (though not always). And he's been fucking clutch with Banish more than once.

Tiberius definitely metagames but more annoying is how he just always has to be the center of attention, helping out constantly even when it's not needed. Kinda careless with his fireballs some days too.

>>47605586
Animal swarms are immune to lots of things, paralyze included. Go Indiana Jones on their ass.
>>
>>47605599
>>47605604

3 legendary resistances, 4 casts

And a +9 save vs DC 16-20 doesn't go off that often when met with the above mentioned portend and unlucky
>>
>>47605719
What are those 4 ways though?
>>
>>47605886
And they should not have spell save DCs of 20 at level 7, that's on you.
>>
>>47605587
Yes he does. Scanlan is one of the most powerful and helpful characters in the group. He's been the MVP more than a few times. I get that at the start his jokes might be a bit cringy but as the episodes go by there's no way to not admire how he comes up with a song for every time he uses Bardic Inspiration and how he is one of the smartest characters regarding, making use of his resources as best as possible to help everyone else.

And on top of that, Sam as well as Travis does his best to not metagame and stay in character the whole time, which is more than any DM expects of a player.
>>
Would it be bad to have crits do double total damage instead of just double dice damage? Makes spells a bit worse and crits (champs, rogues and barbs?) a bit better, but champ is the reportedly the worst fighter archetype, rogues already get a lot out of crits so it's a small thing comparatively, and barb has twice the chance in certain circumstances so a very small buff. Is there any other problems? It just seems a lot simpler, I've considered doing the Matt Mercer houserule of doing Dice x 2 + mods, but it would be simpler this way I think.
>>
>>47605974
Rage damage would be doubled I guess so a bit of a bigger deal for barbs than I thought.
>>
File: 1242353463343.jpg (36 KB, 575x113) Image search: [Google]
1242353463343.jpg
36 KB, 575x113
Can someone clarify this?

Does this mean I can only start transcribing 2nd level rituals as a level 5 warlock?
>>
>>47606327
>Rounded up
Nigga please
>>
>>47606327
At fifth level, you can transcribe 3rd level spells. Round up, bitch.
>>
>>47606339
Right, that didn't click when I read it.

Thanks.
>>
>>47605353
Why are there so many whores on the table?
>>
>>47605353
And why is there an obnoxious chat on the stream?

Why is the first half of the first episode full of attention whoring and jarring "blahblah is now following!" popups?
>>
I've mostly moved to using retroclones (primarily S&W) when I DM, but I think 5e is the best of the modern (3e onward) D&D versions by far. I'm currently playing in a campaign that uses 5e rules but is very heavily inspired by old school play, and it works very well. Wouldn't have worked half as well with 3.5, and would have been too wargame-y with 4e (which I realize some people like, and which I realize can be compared to the original game's use of Chainmail rules for resolving combat, but the feel is way different since Chainmail was based on historical wargames and 4e feels more like a lighter version of modern sci-fi or fantasy wargames).

Anyway, 5e is very good, and I was wondering if there are any hacks or fanmade supplements that make it more sword-and-sorcery-ish, in particular with regard to the magic.

Anybody got anything for me?
>>
Did someone homebrew Rebuke/Command Undead features for ivul clerics?

I'd like to compare mine with those since I want to throw a Necroguy towards my group, and I don't want it to be OP in case someone wants to use the features in the future.
>>
>>47607468
I think oathbreakers have something like that, you could check that out
>>
>>47607279
>S&W
Spice and Wolf retroclone? Wat.
>>
>>47604836
> Pact Boon
> An archetype choice
>>
>>47607581
I'd guess Swords and Wizardry.
>>
>>47607622
Hmm. Maybe Smith & Wesson?
>>
>>47607546
Already checked, but the level differences are what makes me doubt a bit. I guess it's better to show what I have than explain it:

Channel Divinity: Rebuke Undead (level 2)
As an action, target one Undead creature you can see within 30 feet of you to give it Advantage on Melee Attack Rolls while the Undead is still within 30 feet of you. Also, the creature gains Advantage against Saving Throws against Turn Undead for the duration of this feature, even if it or you move further away than 30 feet. These effects last for 1 minute.

Channel Divinity: Command Undead (level 5)
You can use this if you picked Rebuke Undead at level 2. As an Action, choose one Undead you can see within 60 feet of you. The target must succeed on a Wisdom Saving Throw or obey your commands for the following 2 hours, or until you use this Channel Divinity option again.
Intelligent Undead are harder to control this way. If the target has an Intelligence of 8 or more, it has Advantage on its Saving Throw. If the target as an Intelligence of 12 or more, it can repeat the Saving Throw at the end of every hour until it succeeds and breaks free.
If the Undead succeeds on its save, you can’t use this feature on it again. An Undead whose CR is equal or greater than your level is Immune to this effect.
At level 8, the Undead obeys you for 7 hours. At level 11, for 13 hours. At level 14, for 18 hours. At level 17, for 24 hours.

I think Rebuke Undead is solid, I'm not sure if the Command Undead is. I will add fluff text/fix grammar once I'm sold on this shit.
>>
>play rogue
>have expertise
>play other class
>don't even bother with skill checks because performing skill checks without expertise feels like a handicap
>>
So I'm working on upgrading a helmed horror into something slightly stronger for a dungeon I'm making. This upgraded helmed horror is going to be called a helmed nightmare, and it's going to have the following changes:

>Strength is going to be bumped up to 22
>con is going to bumped to 18
>going to give it 4 extra HD, which will make is new total HP 100
>going to give it immunity to fire
>going to increase its size to large
>going to drop his dex to 10
>going to increase the damage of its sword to 2D8 magic slashing + 1D8 fire (D8 becomes D10 when wielded in both hands)

Thoughts? Also, how much would this increase the CR by? I would check the book but I'm at work atm so limited resources.

Also, here is the normal helmed horror to compare the changes to : http://www.aidedd.org/dnd/monstres.php?vo=helmed-horror
>>
>>47604322
I like the elegance of that. I think fixes should be minor and fitting with the established tone.
>>
Will any of the UA playtest archetypes/classes become officially sanctioned (not necessarily without modification) by WotC? Like, will it only happen on book releases of which we've only had the EE companion and SCAG? Are those homebrew archetypes like the Blood Magic and Deathbloom Druid officially sanctioned? Can they be used in Adventure League? Will they be published?

Also, any word on a NaturalCrit version of the PHB?
>>
>>47607581
>>47607622
>>47607665
It's Swords & Wizardry.
>>
>>47608495
And should we expect that Minotaurs are not ever going to be officially released? They were in the UA Waterborne package which has since been curated and implemented in SCAG. Seeing as Minotaurs are not available in SCAG, is it safe to assume they will never be an official 5e playable race?
>>
File: Ranger Fix.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ranger Fix.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47604045
>Anyway, how would /5eg/ fix the ranger?

I defy you and post a longwinded answer anyway.
>>
>>47608563
They might come out officially when the new monster manual comes out in November. If not, then it's probably never going to get made officially.
>>
>>47608576
Vanish (Core) and Ambush (Stalker) offer the common benefit of hiding as a bonus action.
>>
File: Ranger Fix v2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ranger Fix v2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47608705
Hmm, good point. I'll tweak Vanish.
>>
File: Hero Tokens.png (3 MB, 1056x2917) Image search: [Google]
Hero Tokens.png
3 MB, 1056x2917
Anybody else here make their own tokens?
>>
>>47604045
Get rid of favored enemy. It's the most absolutely retarded feature in the game. I was going to say 'one of the most', then I realized I couldn't actually think of one that was more retarded
>>
I played the playtest with the isle of dread adventure and also one with a shit ton if caverns of monsters, bugbears, goblins, kobolds and the like. Which playtest packet had the best alternatives for the classes that disappoint you?
>>
>>47608842
What would you replace it with?
>>
File: Villain Tokens.png (5 MB, 1112x4976) Image search: [Google]
Villain Tokens.png
5 MB, 1112x4976
>>47608824

Well fuck it, I don't care if nobody asked for more, here's fucking more.
>>
>>47608921
>slim shady
fukkin lol. why.
>>
>>47608950

Was testing out the Token Tool. Sadly I forgot about Dre.
>>
>>47608824
>>47608921
I generally prefer to use minis. If I do use tokens I usually use pennies and I only use them if the party is fighting a hoard of enemies all at once. I just don't like cardboard tokens personally.

However I do like your tokens. Good job on making them
>>
>>47608842
>Get rid of favored enemy.

Heathen.
>>
>>47609025

Thanks Anon, I'll make some more sheets in the future.
>>
Haven't been around in a while, is/was there supposed to be an announcement on the next module sometime this month? I thought I saw them post something on twitter a few weeks back.
>>
>>47609086
oh lol fuck me its right on the D&D front page.
>>
>>47609067
Sounds like a solid plan. If I may make a suggestion though, I would advice against putting real people's faces on them. It just looks strange and out of place. Just a suggestion.
>>
>>47609097

Oh, those were for a laugh. They went over pretty well last few games though. One of my players went with Geoffery from Fresh Prince, another guy decided to play as a horse for some odd reason.
>>
>>47609158
That would have been my first pick. For a minute there I had convinced myself his name was Benson but that was the name of the black butler from Soap.
>>
>>47603960
Sorcerers. Either they're not good enough, or wizards are too good. As it is, they're just thing you can use to do a cheesy multiclass with a warlock.

If the sorcerer lore really speaks to you way more than the wizard, it's certainly a playable class... you have to deal with the fact that they're a lot worse than a very similar class. Like if there was a "Fighter" and a "Super Fighter" class or something.
>>
>>47605586
Lucky doesn't work on enemy saves.

>>47607597
It comes in at level 3. Just like sorcerer metamagic.
>>
>>47609294
To be fair, the sorc is basically missing an entire base class feature worth of power. Exactly like the ranger.
>>
So are the druid circles and blood magic stuff worth looking into, or are they just Wizards trying to reinforce their "pay us for Homebrew" scheme?
>>
>>47609307
I have always thought that getting sorcerer points on short rest would make them on par with erryone else.
>>
>>47609397
Sounds about right actually, though, if i remember correctly they also have a strictly worse spell selection than the wizard - but I have no idea how to quantify that in terms of "powerlevel."
>>
>>47609417
it makes them better than warlocks, but IDGAF
>>
>>47609489
Warlocks don't seem that great to me anyway.
>>
So what's the point of choosing any Hunter features that don't maximize the number of enemies you can attack in a turn?

>colossus hunter
>giant killer
Just play a barbarian of a fighter if you want to bruise up a big bad guy at close range. A Hunter that doesn't spend the majority of the battle attacking a bunch of enemies per turn is just a stunted Fighter.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 700x815) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 700x815
A friend of mine wants to make a ranger notable for what would be best described as a ship-to-ship war crossbow for his ranger for a high-seas campaign, that can be dismounted from the ship and used as a personal weapon, despite it's massive bulk and firepower.
What would be the best way to make this thing a reality?
>>
>>47609745

Allow extra damage and range, but it costs an action to dismount from the ship, and he suffers -5 movement while carrying the crossbow and can only Dodge with disadvantage.
>>
>>47609797
What damage size would you recommend?
The party rogue (swashbuckler of course) has a pistol sidearm that I'm bouncing between 1d6 and 1d8 for its damage, and possibly even striking damage as proper conical bullets haven't been invented yet.
The main issue with the war crossbow is it started life as a big game hunting harpoon gun that the ranger fixed up and modified to the monstrosity it is now.

Ranger's player is super into the design of this, to the point that he's refluffing his ranger spells to be much more mundane (cure wounds is packed medical supplies, hail of thorns is fragmentary rounds, stuff like that) and I don't wanna screw him out of the concept, but I also wanna keep his bad self viable. Call it fiat for liking the concept so much too.
>>
>>47609745
Have him use a regular heavy crossbow for the day-to-day but take alchemist tool proficiency as part of his background and let him create a limited but renewable supply of potions of growth so that he can get all huge every once in a while.
>>
>>47609353
Huh?
Wizards releases most ideas it has for future publication in Unearthed Arcana online. They have people beta test it for free, then they decide what they want to change. Check Wizards, it's free to download. I've seen reddit posts where they have everything you can download for free.

If you're paying for that stuff, then I have a bridge I want to sell you.
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 850x770) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 850x770
>>47609979
Well it's not that he wants to be bigger, just wants a really big crossbow that initially started life as a whale-equivalent hunting weapon and was tinkered with to the point it became the monstrosity it is now.
>>
>>47610039
You could up the damage to 1d12 and say it doesn't count as a crossbow so that the loading property can no longer be ignored to even it out and emphasize that it is really big.
>>
>>47610039
2d10 damage, can only be fired once per round, no matter what feats you have, and you need to burn a bonus action to reload.
>>
>>47610134
>>47610189
Not being able to apply crossbow expert makes it worse than just reskinning a heavy crossbow
>>
>>47608850
Anybody? Fuckers obviously don't know why you're talking about when you say that they had better versions of classes in the playtest.
>>
>>47610282
I have to agree.
I like the -move idea and The disadvantage on evasion thing, but maybe a siege mode like in monster Hunter where it stops movement for extra damage and suchlike but for added reload times.
>>
>>47610282
There has to be some kind of limiting factor as weapons are not meant to do lots of damage on their own as martials gain class features and raise their ability scores in order to do more damage. If you were to make a weapon that does lots of damage you would have to some kind of sucky drawback or basically treat it like a spell and limit the amount of times the character can use it.
>>
>>47610538
Perhaps more damage is not the way to go then. Maybe it should have a special function, like bolts that pin foes if they fail a DC or harpoon shots that pull targets or something
>>
>>47609968
Have you thought about allowing him the spell-less ranger from UA? It's technically inferior to the standard, but it might match what he's aiming for better. And you can always boost whatever shortcomings crop up as weapon mods or something
>>
>>47610584
At that point I'd say go Battlemaster Fighter since the the maneuvers would let you do stuff like that while also doing more damage and only a few of them are limited to melee weapons, but that would yet again require a compromise on the player's part.
>>
>>47610688
You could just attach maneuver dice as part of the function of the weapon. Start off small and as the player keeps tinkering with it he gets more dice/maneuvers. You can even make it part of the adventure where he has to harvest monster parts or otherwise collect rare materials to enhance his weapon.
>>
>>47610038
Druid circles and blood magic were not written by people under wizards payroll but by players hoping to sell them on the DM guild. Wizards highlighted each in a UA release, but I highly doubt they were actually play tested by wizards or anyone but the creator.
>>
>>47610819
That could work, so long as the other PCs are getting similar advancements throughout the game.
>>
File: Ambuscade ranger 1.0.jpg (319 KB, 817x943) Image search: [Google]
Ambuscade ranger 1.0.jpg
319 KB, 817x943
>>47604045
>>
>>47605424
Percy eventually starts sharing his quips with the whole group instead of just Keyleth. I don't think he metagames, personally, he just has the most experience with tabletop games.

Tiberius on the other hand does all sorts of shit that quite clearly either upsets Matt or the rest of the group. Everything from hitting his party with fireballs, claiming his character did stuff after-the-fact, telling other players what to do, misreading his spells or items, arguing with the DM, arguing with his party, staying out of a Beholder fight because he knows what a Beholder is and what Lairs are (though his character doesn't), redoing his turns...really I can just keep going. There's one episode where he tries to buy every single mirror in Emon to construct an Archimedes ray after Percy fails, and also send a letter to his father to declare war on Whitestone; he tries to get their keep's prison converted into a barracks to hold all the troops.

I liked Tiberius, but Orion caused a lot of obvious problems within the group. Since he left, the group hasn't had any constant issues. Marisha will always fuck up her spells, this is just predestined. Laura and Liam bicker; their characters are twins, so it isn't always awkward. Matt, two episodes in a row, lost his cool for a moment when Marisha and Laura complained about the cost of things. There was a little tension for several episodes when you could tell the SPK table realized the VVG table had way more magic items than them (this was highlighted by Vax having two of the party's three cloaks).
>>
>>47609745
Sounds like Detritus from Discworld. Is a troll and had a ballista as personal weapon
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 503x489) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 503x489
>>47611306
He more based it off Monster Hunter's heavy bowguns and other similar weapons, especially throughout Vidya, but I could see that.
>>
>>47611179
I also agree about Percy not metagaming. He acts naturally and it's quite the boring guy, but I think the boring part is because sometimes he chooses to remain silent about things he know for experience, or so it looks since when he has to act, he acts decisively. He strikes me as the guy who holds back so the newcomers experience the game by themselves.
>>
>>47611152
>Ambuscade
>Sneak attack on ranger

Fuck off already
>>
Any tips to someone who is completely new to D&D and DM a session with people who are also completely fresh to D&D?
>>
>>47611152
Just subclass rogue holy fucking shit
>>
>>47608824
The pictures are nice originally, but why are most of them pixellated/jagged? Do you not have PS or something?
>>
File: colville.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
colville.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>47611588
Watch Matt Colville's YouTube series on how to be a good DM. He's entertaining to watch and gets straight to the point. Critical Role is also often recommended, but comparing yourself to Matt Mercer (who's been honing his craft for decades) will just make you feel like you suck.
>>
>>47611583
Oh hey, it's the me-against-the-world edgy autistic of the general whose only ever criticism is
>"Fuck off."
Ever considered suicide?

>>47611152
Do you have any other homebrews?
>>
File: Sahuagin Baron.png (155 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Sahuagin Baron.png
155 KB, 300x300
>>47608824
I make a ton. I made a Photoshop template with a simple emboss, tend to quickly remove the background of pictures and throw something fitting behind it from a collection of textures I have.
>>
>>47611588
I say this with sincerity, read the rule books. So many problems can be avoiding with a solid understand of the rules.

Also, if a ruling question comes up and you don't want to halt the session to look up a rule, then feel free as the DM to make a quick ruling decision and look it up post session.

Most importantly, make sure both you and the players are having fun. Everyone having a fun time is the main way to ensure everything goes smoothly. Even if the worst things happen to the party in the end game wise, if everyone was having fun then all will be fine.
>>
I'm playing a dragonborn Draconic Sorcerer and just hit level 8, wondering if I should opt for Elemental Adept or bump my CHA from 18 to 20. I took Spell Sniper at 4.
Just about every spell I can cast (above 1st anyway) is fire-based or utility. Fire resistance seems relatively common which is why I'd opt for EA, but it's secondary effect seems mostly useless. I have a homebrew spell that can, once a day, make an enemy one level weaker against fire, give them DA on saving throws vs fire, and fire-based spells gain ADV to hit them, so I feel that bosses are already covered and taking a feat solely for smaller encounters isn't great.

Any opinions on it? Probably going to go with the CHA increase if no one sways me otherwise.
>>
>>47611681
>>47611773
Thanks lads. Hope I don't fuck up.
>>
File: Halfbreed 1.0.jpg (259 KB, 817x621) Image search: [Google]
Halfbreed 1.0.jpg
259 KB, 817x621
>>47611705
Only one other for 5e.
>>47611650
>>47611583
What would you suggest as an alternative? This homebrew still contains all of the core ranger minus spellcasting, which seems like way too much to jam into a rogue archetype.

I keep on getting one or two people shitting on this but I never get constructive criticism.
>>
>>47611793
get the CHA to 20, you already have a much better version of elemental adept anyway
>>
>>47611681
>Matt Colville
>Matt Mercer
So, Matts are great DMs and everyone needs to have a friend named Matt. Good knowledge.
>>
>>47611843
What you're trying to do is take one class's special gimmick and jam it into another for the sake of just getting extra damage.
Instead of just haphazardly slapping something another class does and remove any need of ever risking a rogue level, do something a little different, make something unique.

As it is, Ambuscade is just a better rogue on paper.
If a homebrew ever makes you think "why would anyone bother with XYZ when my homebrew exists" then you're not doing it quite right.

My suggestion would be to make your "sneak attacks" give a disadvantage of some sort to the enemy rather than just taking Rogue's Sneak Attack.
>>
>>47611837
Oh, you WILL fuck up, but hopefully your players won't notice too often. I've DMed one three-month campaign (working on a more developed setting for a much larger sequel arc to follow up with now) and I still fuck up all the time.

We play Pathfinder, so I'm always finding obscure rules and concepts that I had no idea about (5E is much easier on that regard) and often I just make up rulings on the fly so I don't have to hold up the game sift through the online PRD.

Are you running a premade campaign or a homebrew one? The standard recommendation for new DMs is to run a premade one, but I went straight into homebrew because I just wouldn't enjoy running someone else's material with no room to expand and change it.
>>
>>47611923
Okay, that *is* a good idea. I'll mull things over and get back to /5eg/ with v1.1. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>47611843
rogue archetype: Ambusher

3rd level: Ambuscade (hide), Skirmisher's stealth

9th level: Ambuscade (no surprise)

13th level Ambuscade (single attack)

17th level Full ambuscade

There you go
>>
>>47611937
I might be running a homebrew one if things go well since there's still a lot of time until the session. However I haven't really prepared any assets yet (we'll be using Roll20) but I'll get working on them soon.
>>
>>47612015
Or here, more ranger-y

3rd level: Ambuscade (Immune to surprise, hide), Skirmisher's stealth, martial weapons

9th level: 1 favored terrain and 1 favored enemy

13th level Ambuscade (single attack)

17th level Full ambuscade
>>
>>47608197
this is my fear if my rogue ever dies.

at least theres bards too.
>>
File: Strong Ranger.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Strong Ranger.pdf
1 B, 486x500
i'm working on a ranger fix you're all going to btfo me about, but here it is

it needs serious nerfing, its too strong, but my goal was to make a strong ranger that felt good.

but i'll admit its way too powerful as is. like unspecced could top dpr charts powerful right now. but uh maybe just think about it as "in the ideas stage"
>>
>>47612349
I hate it

Hunter's strike is sneak attack without requirements

It has no favored enemy or terrain

Those two things alone make me hate it

I would never allow it,maybe someone else would though
>>
>>47611793
charisma for sure
>>
>>47612452
i literally left favored terrain (natural explorer is what its called in the phb as well as in this homebew...) unchanged except added languages to it because i took out favored enemy.

originally i had hunters strike doing flat damage that changed with level, but i figured you guys would hate it more. idk what to change it to, but i agree it needs to change. i want ranger to have some kind of striking power.

do you mind if i ask you what you like about favored enemy?
>>
>>47612502
me again, actually now that i think about it taking hunters strike out would go a long way towards balancing the class... perhaps every ranger getting a powerful pet is enough of a low end damage boost.
>>
>>47612502
It's a signature ability of the class, I like signature abilities

I also make exploration and interaction very important in my games

By the way I also hate the animal companion at level 1, and the animal companion changes in general, I hate the fact that you fused both archetypes and changed the names, I just hate everything about it

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like i'm being negative for negativity's sake, but the whole thing just physically repulses me
>>
File: eor19E.png (43 KB, 607x465) Image search: [Google]
eor19E.png
43 KB, 607x465
>catfolk basically confirmed for VGTM
>>
>>47612599
>By the way I also hate the animal companion at level 1, and the animal companion changes in general, I hate the fact that you fused both archetypes and changed the names, I just hate everything about it
>Sorry, I don't mean to sound like i'm being negative for negativity's sake, but the whole thing just physically repulses me
i can dig this its a work in progress
>It's a signature ability of the class, I like signature abilities
but is there actually something you like about it?
>I also make exploration and interaction very important in my games
this is a fair point, but i feel like natural explorer already basically does the aspects of this that favored enemy does. otherwise i'm not sure what your point is because i didn't take out anything that does this from the base ranger.

>>47612708
i really hope he adds some demonic cat named enemy to the next campaign instead of releasing a cat player race.
>>
Say a creature is immune to cold damage. What happens if someone attacks them with Frostbite or Ray of Frost? Do they still get disadvantage on the former and -10ft speed on the latter or no, since those are riders of the cold damage?
>>
>>47612599
Holy fuck, this poster reeks of autism.

>I HATE IT I HATE I HATE IT REEEEEEEEE!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

You can't even articulate what you dislike about the class. Sad!
>>
>>47612749
I don't think anything in the rules protects them from it, but I would probably say no.
>>
>>47608657
It minotaur doesn't come with Volo's guide, it will def be in the Dragonlance supplement if that happens.
>>
>>47611583
The 2E stalker had sneak attack; tl;dr, just about everything that could be done with most of the classes was already done in AD&D, including shit everyone hates.
>>
>>47612749
Things like poison blades only affect them if they take damage, it has to be specified. So RAW they still suffer the effects, in play I'd decide based on how the monster is immune to the element (if encased in frost, being immune to cold temperatures wouldn't help).
>>
What is the best class/some tips for a one-shot? I've played a few before and the characters just feel weak in terms of characterization, since there's no time to develop or explore them.
>>
>>47613072
What level? Usually I run one-shots at around lv10
>>
>>47613104
Level 3. Every one up to this has been level 1 because of new players.
>>
>>47613072
Then you have to play someone more outspoken and bombastic.
>>
>>47613134
All classes pretty much come into their own by lv3, just pick what you like
>>
>>47613072
The best thing to make for a one off is a character who will hold up solidly in combat while having both an interesting and broadly inclusive personality. For example I made a rogue human with the healer feat for a ravenloft one off who was whole heartedly dedicated to saving and healing the citizens trapped in Barovia. It was very fun.
>>
>>47613146
>>47613167
Thanks, I'll try to be a bit more notable, a thief sounds quite cool.
>>
Is it more common for creatures to have piercing resistance or slashing resistance? It just depends on the type of armor they have, right?
>>
>>47612502
It seems balanced to me considered sneak attack can trigger multiple times. Perhaps change it so that it is still favored enemy, but every couple of levels you get two new enemies. Favored enemies take the extra 1d6+ whatever bonuses each time they get hit/1 per turn
>>
>>47613072
>one-shot
Wild Mage
>>
File: 50131276_p0.png (270 KB, 709x678) Image search: [Google]
50131276_p0.png
270 KB, 709x678
>>47613694
i'm considering just switching it to giving the ranger hunters mark for free at level 1? i feel like i've given my version too many sources of extra damage for sure. need to tone down a lot of the level 11 abilities as well.

the thing about favored enemy.... is.... i like the idea, but it seems like its always either a) your gm is a homie and throws you favored enemies or lets you know what the big bad of the game is going to be and you pick that, or b) your gm isn't a homie and you only use favored enemy every so often. so idk. i'd rather just emphasize the other exploratory parts of the ranger and give them some kind of striking ability like in ad&d where they just got to do their level in damage to all "giants" or whatever it was. which was pretty much every non human.

i might switch it up and make their pet more of a scout but make an archetype that gets to be pet focused.... pets im conflicted about as well because on the one hand they are awesome, on the other it kind of feels like theres only a few good choices and otherwise you're gimping yourself. maybe i'll try and make an invocation style system to add abilities to pets so you can trick it out as a fighter, hunting companion, sensor, etc. or i'm just overthinking it. not sure yet.

the flaw (well, one major flaw) in mine currently is its starting to feel too much like another type of fighter with weirder abilities, instead of a hunter/pet/exploration class with some striking ability. its hard to keep it distinct for me and i suck at homebrew.
>>
>>47613694
Sneak attack can only trigger once per turn
>>
So question /tg/. Any idea what would happen if a Druid transformed into a giant toad ate a vampire/vampire spawn?
>>
>>47614218
>*burp*
>>
>>47613701
>nuke party 1 hour into the session
mvp right here
>>
>>47614218
I don't think anything special would happen. I'm not sure if giant toads fully engulf their grapple victims or not. If they do the only Special thing would be I guess the vampires most form could become trapped in the toad for as long as the toad druid could hold his breath.
>>
>>47605317
>Stealth and Surprise is DM fiat land

Then what's the point of stealth and perception rolls?
>>
>>47614359
Mist*
>>
How much Wisdom do you typically expect Rangers to have? Once they max out Dex, do they tend to pump Wisdom or focus on other stats? What's the general spread to start with and as you level?
>>
>>47614460
Constitution is generally as or more important than wisdom imo. Wisdom helps your skills but you have a lot of abilities to help you in your role, and wisdom helps your spells but concentration saves are more important than wisdom for most of your spells, as they are typically heals or buffs. Constitution helps with that (concentration) as well as keeping you alive. This is less true if you are ranged-focused.

If your party relies on you to be the sensor of the party (ie have good perception) then put more points into wisdom, sure, maybe even pick up observant. But if you're in melee you probably want at least 16 or so constitution, with more always being a plus.
>>
>Rangers have Spells Known restrictions
>Paladins can cast whatever the fuck they want
>Rangers cast nature magic "like Druids"
>Druids can also cast whatever the fuck they want
This seems like an easy fix to wipe some of the suck off the class.
>>
File: 1464548169012.jpg (31 KB, 427x518) Image search: [Google]
1464548169012.jpg
31 KB, 427x518
Are rangers really that bad.
Like sure, their combat numbers aren't fantastic. However, favored terrain seems pretty dope.
Plus they have a whole skill point more than the fighter
>>
>>47614565
Yeah Ranger spellcasting doesn't make any sense to me.
>You have learned to use the magical essence of nature to cast spells, much like Druids.
What does that mean? Druids are granted magic by nature itself/nature gods:
>Druids revere nature above all, gaining their spells and other magical powers either from the force of nature itself or from a nature deity.
So Rangers just find out how to do this on their own? They may like the wilderness but they're hunters more than protectors, I don't really see nature or nature gods granting them that kind of power. And even if that is the case, they should just have Druid spells in that case.
>>
>>47614772
>Are rangers really that bad.
yes, unfortunately
>>
>>47614772
Favored Terrain, like Favored Enemy, basically relies on your DM throwing you bones.
If you're not in that biome,
if you're not facing those creatures,
if your party has no reason to be stealthy,
if your party has no reason to track those creatures,
if your DM generally glosses over the "exploration" pillar,
if wilderness survival (camping, finding food, avoiding random encounters) doesn't factor into your campaign,
then those features just don't do anything for you. You are simply a worse Fighter.
>>
>>47614359
Yes, giant toads cam swallow.
It's more the consumption of Tainted flesh that I'm concerned about.
>>
>>47614772
play a fucking bard or druid and you'll be better off
>>
Ranger is the only class in the game that relies on opponents being certain types, or being in certain environments. That sort of specialization should be left to feats, not stapled into the core so that you're gimped half the time and adequate the other half.
>>
>>47614460
Rangers have a lot of weapon/armor styles so it's impossible to pin down a typical build when not even max Dex is a given.

14-16 Wis s the typical start and may get maxed or may never get touched depending on what Feats you need, whether someone else is the Perception-bitch, and whether you dabble into Cleric/Druid MC or MI.
>>
>>47612708
>Catfolk
>Forgotten Realms

So it's going to be the people who shapeshift into jaguars from Maztica?

Does that mean we'll see the Lythari too?
>>
>>47613701
>>47614354
>be Tiefling for fire resistance
>Always stay 20ft away from the party
Done. Wild Sorcerer is already the most fun class.
>>
So if there's no Ranger, are there any classes that need buffs that you could give those features to? Favored terrain fits very well for land druids for example.
>>
>>47614886
Any half-decent DM should factor the player's character choices into the game anyway. If they don't, it's a good chance to talk with them about it. Characters and adventures in a vacuum (unless it's like a one-off at a con but even that's a specific kind of thing that should be accounted for by both parties).
>>
What if Rangers had the Favored Terrain and Favored Enemy benefits for everything? Would that be too powerful? I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to just say they are experts in exploring everywhere and hunting everything.
>>
>>47614965
Jesus Christ dude, the DM already has enough on his plate. There aren't many monsters in 5e, and blaming the DM for the logical results of your shitty taste in PCs is poor form.

Just play a character. Own your decisions.
>>
>>47614958
Not really a buff, but I'd revamp the beastmaster and give it to the barbarian as a subclass. They don't have many good subclasses and it suits the tone of the class.
>>
>>47608787

>you gain proficiency in two saving throws

that's dumb
>>
Low level Rangers: spend a week studying or tracking a new favored enemy or terrain to change it.
Mid level Rangers: spend 8 hours studying or tracking a new enemy or terrain to change one
High level Rangers: Change all favored enemies or terrains on a short rest.

13th Age solved this shit years ago.
>>
>>47615093
Too bad 13th Age was the result of people looking at a system that rubbed people the wrong way for being too dry, fluffless, and boring, with magic items that were for awhile especially dry, fluffless, and boring, and thought "what we need to do is make an even more dry fluffless and boring version."
>>
>>47615093
Do they have spellcasting still? If so, how do they learn spells? I think a wilderness specialist type guy is ok for a class but I never got where the spells came from.
>>
>>47614965
>Any half-decent DM
I don't think people realize just how uncommon that is
>>
>>47615139
And now you have the edition with the quality class and the quality mechanics that you deserve. :^)

>>47615152
Nothing is changed besides a footnote to the existing Favored X features. If you want to mess with spells or no spells then you're on your own.
>>
>>47615271
>And now you have the edition with the quality class and the quality mechanics that you deserve. :^)

Oh no, a class I never liked isn't very good, whatever shall I do
>>
>>47614965
DM: hmm, I'll think I'll run a couple of ramp up adventures before transporting the party to exotic planes or have them find a spelljamming ship.

Ranger: "Hey guys, I plan on having my character stay in generic forests. You're not going to bully my character right?"

DM: "fuck."
>>
>>47614965
>>47614997
Or if it's too much work for the DM to factor in their favoured terrain/enemy, the DM could just **talk to the player about what adventure they're gonna run when they're making the character**
The favoured enemy thing is even a great motivation for why the ranger is on the quest in the first place, having that conversation will make your life as a DM easier
>>
>>47614921
I am currently going through the capabilities of every creature, by type, to identify the most common attacks. I'll use this to make a homebrew that has Favored Enemies swappable and provide passive (and possibly active) benefits while known.

For example, Aberration on the whoel can ask you to make: 10 Con, 7 Wis, 6 Dex, 3 Str, 2 Int, and no Cha saves. Five of those Con saves are against Poison/Disease, two vs. Paralyze, and the other three are additional damage. There's three Wis vs. Charm, two vs. Fear, one vs. confusion, and one vs. "giving up a secret". Dex is just dodging Beholder/Spectator beams, not getting skunked by Fluumphs, and not being blinded by Gibbering Mouthers. There's surprisingly little Psychic damage going out from aberrations.

So if you were fighting aberrants (particularly slaad, beholders, chuul, otyugh, or aboleths), you'd want to have good Con. So Favored Enemy: Aberration will give you a bonus to your Con saves vs. effects that deal Poison damage or apply Poisoned and Disease; these attacks aren't actually doing Poison damage for the most part, just Poisoning/Diseasing you. This won't help you in a fight with a mind flayer or a gibbering mouther, but oh well.

This will, however, help you if you're fighting certain poisonous Beasts, like snakes or spiders. Rather than Poisoning enemies, the majority of poisonous Beasts are simply doing Poison damage (save Con to take half). There's about ten of these, and maybe three or four actually Poison. So your knowledge of aberrant toxins and how to protect yourself against them has some bleed-over to fighting poisonous beasts and other monsters.
>>
>>47615491
The other big thing in the Beast category is attacks that ask for a Strength save or be knocked Prone (20 of these), creatures that have bonus attacks or stronger attacks against Prone targets (7), or creatures that auto-Grapple on hit (9, with a 10th that asks for a Str save). Of those auto-grapplers, five Restrain you.

So for Favored Enemy: Beast, something like Advantage on Strength saves vs. being knocked Prone would be hugely valuable, and maybe this could also apply to forced movement. There's even two Aberrants that Str or prone/shove you, so there's some bleed over that way as well. Advantage on checks to escape Grapple would also help immensely. And since there's also a large amount of Poison damage going around, but relatively few of them are Poisoning, resistance to Poison damage instead of another bonus to saves.
>>
>>47615434
>whatever shall I do
Reply to posts about said class on a Tibetan shadowplay gallery.
>>
>>47615507
>>47615491
Each Favored Enemy will have three benefits. You get to pick one of those when you set your FE, which can occur either over downtime or once you've reached a certain number of Nature and Survival checks (limit one each per long rest). The idea is that you're spending time remembering or investigating creature lore, practicing maneuvers useful against them, and gathering the materials (be they herbal or hand-made) that give you an edge over those creatures. Since the number of checks required is greater than two, you can't be swapping a Favored Enemy out every fucking day when you take a nap; you need to be taking non-rest time to gather this stuff, too, and it can potentially take you a while to accomplish if your Nature/Survival sucks.

As the Ranger gains levels, you'll get another Favored Enemy, and the option to take a second benefit from either of them, and eventually a third, maybe even a fourth or fifth depending on balance. You could take all three benefits from one FE, or mix and match. An Aberrant/Beast Ranger who takes +Con vs. Poison/Disease from Aberrant and Resistance vs. Poison from Beast would be the ultimate spider-stomper.

On top of all of this, to give some offensive oomph since you shouldn't just be hard to kill but still shittier than a Fighter vs. these critters, I want to give the Ranger a certain number of free advantage attacks against their Favored Enemies. X times per short (long?) rest, increasing with level, you can make an attack against one of your Favored Enemies with advantage. You're tossing some kind of solution or herb at them that they find noxious, or you know what parts of their anatomy are the least defended, or how to exploit gaps in their usual fighting style. I'm also thinking about this eventually being grantable to a specific ally with a bonus action, but probably only on their next attack before your turn, since making it an out-of-turn reaction thing steps all over Commander's Strike.
>>
Could anyone explain to me why both Wizards and sorcerers had the amounts of spells they could cast per day reduced so much? In third, Wizards had straight 4's and Sorcerers had straight 6's. Why the drastic reduction?
>>
>>47615535
Balance. Cantrips make up for the loss of spell slots a lot though.
>>
>>47615535
They wanted to bring them more in line with fighters etc.

Of course, fighterfags are still in a permanent stage of anger and sadness over the fact that they cannot teleport, raise the dead, etc., so they are still just as pissed as they ever were.
>>
>>47615535
don't ask why the number is low now, ask why it was so high before
>>
File: Strong Ranger.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Strong Ranger.pdf
1 B, 486x500
ok since we all love rangers and homebrew, heres an updated ranger homebrew from what i posted earlier.

"Strong Ranger" (because I wanted to make a strong version of the ranger class.

peruse it a bit if you don't mind and leme know what you think. i think animal companion needs some finesse, and i might just limit rangers to a set cr, unless they pick a beast master specialty in which case they can change it, but miss out on a fighting style and whirldwind attack or what have you. but i like rangers having an animal companion in their core class...

i wish there was a good way to make it such that it didn't have to be a combatant companion. i guess the damage falls off sharply so it doesnt really have to be, so much as as sensor and potentially a status effect/ability pet.

kind of still want to make an invocation style system to upgrade your animal companion, instead of just increasing cr at different levels. but i don't know.
>>
>>47615535
Arcane Restoration effects
No dead spell slots if you prep the wrong spell
Scaling Cantrips
More generally powerful class features
>>
Scout Fighter from unearthed arcana kits of old is just a better ranger. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>47615596
Loss of minion-mancy hurts, plus the Favored Terrain problem is still there. No Pass Without Trace or Goodberry tech or Lesser Restoration either.

You can take Martial Adept and be a better rounded Battlemaster though. Same with Monster Hunter.
>>
>>47615563
>encounter a problem the party wants to solve without magic
>come up with a creative solution as a Fighter
>literally any other class can do the exact same shit
>the magic classes could also decide "fuck it" and do it with magic even easier, or find an even better solution
That's why Fighterfags are mad, not because they can't cast Teleport.
>>
>>47614772
Combat-wise, rangers are on par with the other classes, except for multi-target damage, where they are actually ahead.

The problems are:
-The hunter's single-target damage options are uninteresting
-Beastmaster companion hp is slightly lover than it should
-The capstone is bad compared to the others

Mechanically, ranger is mostly fine
>>
>>47615774
-Favored features usually end up as ribbons, (Level 1 could be a dead level!)
-Very small number of spells known
>>
>>47615684
>using a daily, class resource that in many cases you only get one a day of, to do something the party could have done without, is shocking and objectionable

So let me get this straight, you're butthurt about... wizards who burn preciously spell slots (of which they get about 1/4th that in prior editions) to help the party, when they could just let other people take care of it? Christ.
>>
>>47615910
I guess, if you want to see it that way

Level 1 is supposed to last less than a session anyway, and I have yet to host a ranger that complains about their number of spells known

Overall I have yet to find a complaint from a PC ranger at all, it's mostly on the internet that people complain
>>
>>47615953
The wizard could also take care of it himself without expending a spell slot.
He has the option to do what everyone else is doing, or do it even better.
>>
>>47615993
That's just bad GMing, how can you not consider stats like Str and Dex when it's about physical puzzles and the like? If the button you need to get to is 100 ft. up, who climbs up there? If the metal door is locked, who gets you through? Without spending resources, of course.
>>
>>47615993
If he invests in the physical stats/feats/class levels of course
>>
>>47615958
>Level 1 is supposed to last less than a session anyway
True, but often players use that first session to decide whether to stick with things or not. The fragility of low level characters doesn't help things.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.