[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /tg/ have such a deep hate for people who want to play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 20
File: 1455161240697.png (904 KB, 564x780) Image search: [Google]
1455161240697.png
904 KB, 564x780
Why does /tg/ have such a deep hate for people who want to play japanese culture? Anything other than that, such as African, Arabic, European etc seems to be just fine, but once someone mentions they want to play in an asian setting/as an asian character (Or one inspired by their culture), everyone's sperging out and goes "FUCK OFF YOU WEEABOO". What's the deal with that?
>>
>>47593444
Yall ever been on the Internet for an extended period of time?

Shit. Son. You dun goofed.
>>
>>47593444
Largely cuz it seems to be less actual japanese shit and more "wow, anime is cool"
You can tell because every fucking weeb whines about how guns were bad when japan fucking loved their guns.
Also, are those guys doing the olympic ball toss thing, but with grenades? That's p. cool.
>>
Same reason Fedoras and trench coats are considered bad now. They're associated with shitheads even if the individual things aren't bad.

If you want to run a Not-Asian campaign go for it man. Nobody will care after you start rolling the dice.
>>
>>47593444
Nice trips.

But /tg/ isn't one entity. It's a silly generalisation fallacy, and you're making the assumption that they are fine with other things (so another generalisation).

It's also probably due to bad experiences with Anime themes. But here's some good advice. All these stories, tales and anecdotes about the bad anime players, etc. lack any distinct evidence and one could argue they are simply cirlcejerked anecdotes designed to feed a certain mentality.
>>
>>47593444
When tg was founded, it was a test board created from "Warhammer wednesays" on /b/. So a large number of our core memes came from those days when "what is this faggotry?" And "a cat is fine too" were in the now. One of those was also WEEABOO, so there ya go.
>>
>>47593444
>Why does /tg/ have such a deep hate for people who want to play japanese culture?
Because of the greatest sword ever created, the katana, I guess?
>>
>>47593543
Why do you think it's called "shot" put?
>>
>>47593600
That's what bothering me about it. Asian culture is so much more than MUH KATANAS CAN CUT THE SKY stuff and I just think it's a shame people miss out on such concepts.
>>
>>47593444
I dunno man, I'd play a japanese sailor/pirate who clobbers his enemies with a rope bomb before he blows them to smitherees with it.

I'd even research WW2 US marines slang and weeabooize it for kicks and I'd write his background around US WW2 pacific war propaganda, because that would work great to explain why the fuck there's a japanese sailor in a team of tomb raiders. Thinking about it, I'd probably just make him a Monuments Man for that purpose.

RETURN DA ANCIENT ART TO THE HOMELANDS.
>>
>>47593926
Then don't play a ninja or a samurai.
>>
>>47593926
>That's what bothering me about it.
That's something which bothers most people about asian culture indeed.

>Asian culture is so much more than MUH KATANAS CAN CUT THE SKY stuff
Whether that is the case or not, we never stop hearing from these katana people do we? Even though European swords are easily better then theirs?

>I just think it's a shame people miss out on such concepts.
What concepts? What is the European people missing?
>>
>>47594012
>Even though European swords are easily better then theirs?
>What concepts? What is the European people missing?
>Blah blah blah muh Europe
So which are you? A rootless American or an underage Scandi faggot?
>>
>>47594058
(Different anon)
European swords could be considered better due to the fact that the vast majority of iron in Japan was low quality (hence the continuous folding of japanese swords)

No clue what they meant about the other shit
>>
>>47593543
This, Legend of the 5 rings doesnt tend to be shitted on, and thats because they stick to the Japanese culture (even to the extremes) instead of the "wow my katana its so cool, look how I am a ninja, so deep and mysterious"
>>
>>47594108
That's sort of true, but a simplification. In any case the anti-weebs don't really care about the specifics, they just want to bash Japan because they're triggered by anime or something.

>>47594119
Lo5R is ULTRA weaboo. It's more weaboo than Naruto, what with all the honorabu conductu shit they've loaded it with.
>>
>>47594058
>So which are you? A rootless American or an underage Scandi faggot?
I am a grown up Scandinavian (yes, those exist).
OP (you?) asked:
>Why does /tg/ have such a deep hate for people who want to play japanese culture?
My answer:
>Because of the greatest sword ever created, the katana, I guess?
And that makes me a faggot? Fuck off.
>>
>>47594108
>European swords could be considered better due to the fact that the vast majority of iron in Japan was low quality (hence the continuous folding of japanese swords)
European swords were better for a number of reasons. What about something as simple as a crossguard?
>>
>>47594108
They could be considered better because there's slightly less work required to make them? The folding is what fixes the problems with the ore. If a sword has been folded like that, the problems no longer affect it.
>>47594119
L5R is fantasy, not historically accurate to anything. Saying that it sticks to Japanese anything is like saying that Game of Thrones sticks to British culture. It's a fantasy setting with Fantasy samurai and a fantasy culture that is only loosely based on a real culture.
>>
>>47593444
Because, as with furries and MLP fans, it's not the material that's rage-inducing, it's the kind of awful fan that can't stop talking about how is favorite X is the best thing ever and all the rest is shit and you're stupid for not liking it, and keeps injecting it in unrelated discussions. We would hate zoroastrian settings if people never shut the fuck up about it.

tl;dr: Nerdy autism=good. Proselytism=bad.
>>
>>47594157
>OP (you?) asked:
>>Why does /tg/ have such a deep hate for people who want to play japanese culture?
>My answer:
>>Because of the greatest sword ever created, the katana, I guess?
>And that makes me a faggot? Fuck off.
I wasn't OP. I was responding directly to your post, if you look you'll notice that my post actually links to your post so you can see exactly what I take issue with.

It's always the Scandinavians that start this shit, because the rest of Europe actually accomplished something after 900AD.
>>
>>47594170
Tsuba.
>>
>>47594199
>Tsuba.
Not a crossguard.

>>47594197
>It's always the Scandinavians that start this shit, because the rest of Europe actually accomplished something after 900AD.
That is hilarious. So, you don't know much about history then?
>>
>>47594237
>Not a crossguard.
Then what is it? It's a bit of metal between the blade and the handle that is strong and wide enough to stop someone from slicing your fingers thin.
>>
>>47594178
non mass producible weapons are shit
>>
Bacause animu and it's fans
I could seriously admire japanese culture and history as much as any other, but fact that it is object of mass cult by hordes of insufferable retards makes it repulsive.
>>
>>47594352
Only if you need to arm tons and tons of dudes with them.
And considering that the Japs had massed produced spears, bows, and firearms, not having massed produced swords isn't much of an issue.
If you're comparing them on a "how hard would it be to arm 10,000 dudes with this", sure, Jap swords lose out to just about all contemporary designs.
>>
>>47594329
>Then what is it? It's a bit of metal between the blade and the handle that is strong and wide enough to stop someone from slicing your fingers thin.
It's still not a CROSSguard (and not as effective, which should be easy too see). As for you, what are you even trying to argue here? I am very well aware that the theaters of war, that is Europe / Asia looked very different and therefore implied different weapon developments. I have never heard anyone arguing for Asian superiority/equality technologically wise though.

"It's always the Scandinavians that start this shit, because the rest of Europe actually accomplished something after 900AD."

Which also, again, is false.
>>
>>47594441
>As for you, what are you even trying to argue here?
That they had a guard between their hand and the blade and that saying they didn't is disingenuous. Cross-guards that are actually cruciform weren't even universal in Europe.
>>
>>47594470
>That they had a guard between their hand and the blade and that saying they didn't is disingenuous. Cross-guards that are actually cruciform weren't even universal in Europe.
But that is not what I am asking for is it? It is the development of guards, of swords itself.
Once Asia (whatever?) arrived with the katana, they basically stuck with it. You wouldn't find a rapier in Asia would you?
>>
File: feather1a.jpg (36 KB, 615x461) Image search: [Google]
feather1a.jpg
36 KB, 615x461
>>47594108
We folded our swords here in Europe too. Iron/steel bloom-making metallurgy simply doesn't produce sword-quality metal straight up. And if we crank up the heat in the blast furnace to get a fully molten state metallurgy, then we won't even get forgeable metal out of it, instead we get pig iron that has to be fined, almost certainly carburised, and then folded a bit all said and done.

All min all, what's described as poor quality materials in Japan here is simply the reality of metallurgy back before the late 19th century or so (and considerably later as well as everyone wasn't cutting edge here, even in the west).

See: Alan Williams, The Sword and the Crucible.
>>
>>47594558
Except they were constantly developing their swords.
"katana" literally just means sword. Saying that they figured out a singular design and then never changed it is... well, it's exactly like saying that anyone in Europe just stuck with Viking swords forever until they developed guns.
>>
>>47594614
>We folded our swords here in Europe too.
Indeed, Ulfberht swords for instance.
>>
>>47594631
Viking swords get A for effort, though.
>>
>>47594197
Something something Gustavus Adolphus something something Swedish Empire...
>>
If Japan is ever mentioned some retard inevitably leaps in to shitpost about how it isn't Europe, or about anime and weebs, or Japanese superiority (rarely now. Euroboos are way more common than weebs now). Especially popular is the favorite conversation on swords, because some people's self evaluation as a human being depends on whether or not people on the Internet understand and believe their half baked theories on arms and armor from two disparate cultures that formed in completely different environments. Thus, Japan is inherently impossible to talk about on /tg/.

The nationalistic dickwaving is getting pretty fucking stupid. Both retards screaming about muh katana and retards screaming about muh longsword. You aren't even using actual facts. It's always some misunderstood argument about folding metal or a half understood statement about pre-industrial Japan's iron production and the quality of its steel. No matter how much actual fact is cited by people like KM, no matter how much real sources are cited. So much shitposting that could be avoided if people just read a fucking book.
>>
>>47594631
>"katana" literally just means sword.
And also a specific kind of sword from later on when they weren't really fighting with swords anymore.
The Tachi is the precursor to the specific-weapon-katana and was a full-blown war weapon with large tsuba and a different taper to its blade. Of course, Tachi also means another type of sword from before they started making curved ones, but it's spelled differently in moonrunes.
All of them collectively called katana, because Japan loves to use the same word for different things and English doesn't do so well when trying to separate words that are only differentiated by minor changes in a glyph.
>>
File: Tsuba 12.jpg (191 KB, 704x764) Image search: [Google]
Tsuba 12.jpg
191 KB, 704x764
>>47594441
>and not as effective, which should be easy too see

It's easy enough to miss that I haven't noticed any major difference from what kendo and HEMA I've done.

>>47594470
A cross guard is a very specific type of guard. We can have a full baskethilt, and all the protection that brings with it, without a cross. A guard plate, like a tsuba, isn't a crossguard.

Now going form that to claiming a guard plate is necessarily inferior to a cross, that's a jump I'm not willing to make.
>>
>>47594698
>Something something Gustavus Adolphus something something Swedish Empire...
That is one, uhm I guess, not even noteworthy example indeed. Because in the end, it wasn't that important was it?

>>47594631
>"katana" literally just means sword. Saying that they figured out a singular design and then never changed it is... well, it's exactly like saying that anyone in Europe just stuck with Viking swords forever until they developed guns.
Except it is not. A rapier/shortsword/longsword/etc is not a viking sword is it? In Asia though, it seems to me, and this may very well be predjudice, that they stuck with a particular form. The katana does not look that different from "Guntō" (2nd world war) does it?
>>
>>47594441
>"It's always the Scandinavians that start this shit, because the rest of Europe actually accomplished something after 900AD."

>be pagan
>fight each other
>become catholic
>fight each other
>become protestant
>stalemate with the catholics
>lose to Russia
>declare an empire
>smuggle some tea from the Caribbean
>lose to Britain
>Sweden elects a Frenchman as king
>1/3 of the population flees to America
>lose to Germany
>win the Eurovision a few times
>import 1 trillion Somalis
Pretty good history desu senpai
>>
>>47594765
>It's easy enough to miss that I haven't noticed any major difference from what kendo and HEMA I've done.
No difference then between a katana and a rapier?
>>
>>47594012
OP here.

>European swords are easily better
True. But just for the point, we don't only play what's better, do we? If that was the case, it's most likely you'd just see a party of full-plated knights or with the weapon that deals the most damage and such.

>Concepts
I suppose there are no concept which couldn't be transferred to European settings, of course. But some of them may lose some of their feel, on the way. For example, the diplomatic Chancellors.
>>
File: Katana_brique.png (414 KB, 554x790) Image search: [Google]
Katana_brique.png
414 KB, 554x790
>>47594790
The gunto is a katana. Just like how the sword used by mad Jack Churchill is a claymore (Of the small variety).
Imperial Japan was running on a rose tinted bushido/military glorification ideal (That never really existed before that) and their officer swords were more for show than anything (Though still sharp).
>>
>>47594811
>Pretty good history desu senpai
And you are from?
>>
>>47594790
Man, you really need to read more about katanas before shitposting about them. Their design, length, and curve was in flux for hundreds of years before settling into a fairly standard form during the Tokugawa shogunate. That's not to mention all of the various variant weapons that came and went over time like the giant two handers. Yeah, you don't see hilts change, but you see a lot of variance in the actual blade.
>>
>>47594862
>Man, you really need to read more about katanas before shitposting about them. Their design, length, and curve was in flux for hundreds of years before settling into a fairly standard form during the Tokugawa shogunate. That's not to mention all of the various variant weapons that came and went over time like the giant two handers. Yeah, you don't see hilts change, but you see a lot of variance in the actual blade.
You are probably correct. However, what I am asking for is an analogy between European and Asian swordsmanship. And I don't find it. The different types of swords that develop in Europe does not have an equivalent do they? Which is basically the only thing that I am trying to argue.
>>
>>47594923
I'm... honestly not sure what you're asking. An analogy between European and Asian swordsmanship? Both had sword fighting systems. Do you mean the sheer variance in different types of swords in Europe? Arming swords, falchions, sabers, longswords, etc?
>>
File: Jeff Pringle.jpg (25 KB, 682x252) Image search: [Google]
Jeff Pringle.jpg
25 KB, 682x252
>>47594649
Well, the famous, "really special" ones may actually be an exception there. They were with imported crucible steel, and the crucible process (turning iron into steel) is an alternative to folding bloomery steel, they both refine the smelting product into useful material. I'd expect the smiths to quickly notice that folding was unnecessary here (as it's an "until its done" process more than "always do it X times"), and then skip that.

On the other hand, these Ulfberth swords may be just another knockoff of the real ones, which would have been made using more conventional European metallurgy, ie folding.

>>47594739
>And also a specific kind of sword from later on when they weren't really fighting with swords anymore.

The katana was in use in the second half of the 13th century, if not earlier. It then saw a lot of general use, changing in shape this way and that, until the Edo period (roughly 17th century and onwards) made large battles a rarity. And even later it still remained in deadly serious use; self defence, duels, vendettas, assorted unrest. You're no less dead just because you weren't killed on the battlefield.

>>47594735
>So much shitposting that could be avoided if people just read a fucking book.
In addition to The Sword and the Crucible, I recommend:
Williams, The Knight and the Blast Furnace
Kapp, Kapp and Yoshihara, The Craft of the Japanese Sword
Manfred Sachse, Damascus Steel
As well as http://www.mediafire.com/download/j1wyomznimm/Feuerbach_-_Damascus.pdf and http://www.mediafire.com/download/zoyjlnmyjtw/Wootz_articles.zip
There's also some material in Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani's Arms and Armor from Iran.
>>
>>47594923
Most different types of swords were eventually abandoned because better things were designed. In fact, swords from all over the world eventually hit a sort of singularity. Mid-length, slightly curved blades that can be used from horseback became the gold standard and pretty much didn't change until WW1, when development universally ceased because we got serious modern warfare. There's really not that much difference between a cavalry saber and a late katana.
>>
>>47595018
And don't forget those wacky Meiji swords which are katana blades mounted on European style saber hilts.
>>
>>47594790
>In Asia though, it seems to me, and this may very well be predjudice, that they stuck with a particular form

So a straight mamluk sword is the same as a niuweidao, which is the same as a tachi, which is the same as a khanda...
>>
>>47595018
>Most different types of swords were eventually abandoned because better things were designed.
Of course they were. That is why you see an evolution in European swordmanship. From "viking swords" (scandinavia) to, for instance, short swords. The very characteristics behind those swords were different.

I would like to reiterate
Because of the katana.

>>47595015
>On the other hand, these Ulfberth swords may be just another knockoff of the real ones, which would have been made using more conventional European metallurgy, ie folding.
And no one argues otherwise, at all.
>>
>>47595115
>So a straight mamluk sword is the same as a niuweidao, which is the same as a tachi, which is the same as a khanda...
Asia in this instance implies Japan.
>>
File: 1361559516452.jpg (369 KB, 2562x1772) Image search: [Google]
1361559516452.jpg
369 KB, 2562x1772
>>47595130
>The very characteristics behind those swords were different.
And this isn't true for Asian (Even just Japanese) swords because what? They happen to look similar aesthetically? The internal composition, length, shape, center of balance, and all other aspects changed dramatically. Even things like the hilts, which look very similar through the ages, changed, with differing numbers of pins and completely different widths on the guards.
>>
>>47595130
Sorry mate, you appear to be arguing a point only you understand, possibly along with a paranoid delusion.
>>
>>47595184
>And this isn't true for Asian (Even just Japanese) swords because what? They happen to look similar aesthetically? The internal composition, length, shape, center of balance, and all other aspects changed dramatically. Even things like the hilts, which look very similar through the ages, changed, with differing numbers of pins and completely different widths on the guards.
And the shape is still the same. Compare a longsword with a rapier. That is something very different.
>>
>>47594108
>>47594614
>>47594649
We STOPPED folding after the napoleonic wars.

Sabers from that period can still delaminate when they come appart along the layers.

Differences in sword design are older than that, but idiots posting shit about inferior japanese metal don't care about that shit, or about the fact that using iron sand to producue weapons was a fuck important practice that altered the political balance within Japan significantly.

Honestly, if you want a terrible modern-day comparison, it was the shale oil of the professional warrior class.
>>
>>47595210
So yes, your entire argument is about aesthetics.
Appearance means literally NOTHING. Rapiers are often heavier than "longswords" and have a completely different tolerance to bending because the internal composition and center of balance is far, faaaaaaaar more important than the looks.
>>
File: YW3s0i2.png (511 KB, 636x418) Image search: [Google]
YW3s0i2.png
511 KB, 636x418
>>47595018
>There's really not that much difference between a cavalry saber and a late katana.

Remember kids, online you don't have to know even the most basic shit about the topic you're writing on.
>>
>>47594790
Um, changing the face of Christianity, one of the big five religions, by preserving the German Protestants, thus leading to the future rise of Prussia and the downfall of Austria, thus having theoretically infinite effects up to our own time is kinda a big deal.

Without the Swedish phase, Thirty Years War would have been a Catholic victory in less than half the time.
>>
>>47595277
Yes, because one curved sword that you can use from horseback and another curved sword that you can use from horseback are completely and totally different and someone who knows how to utilize the one would be completely lost if given the other.
>>
>>47593444
Because Japanese culture is just a byproduct of tang dynasty's culture with the arts and aesthetics becoming far more autistic due to scarcer resources/luxuries, handing the responsibility of developing and refining their language to rich housewives that have too much freetime and who also spend all day being judgmental uppity bitches far too concerned about capturing the emotional tone of their day to day melodramatic affairs and isolationism.
>>
>>47595210
Quite. Japanese sword design explored many variations of a single design.

European sword design explored many different designs.
>>
>>47593444

>Anything other than that, such as African, Arabic, European etc seems to be just fine

Everyone's arguing about swords for the millionth time, and I'm just here wanting to know when OP has ever seen something African (except Egypt) in a TTRPG.
>>
>>47595322
The problem with African culture is that your average mildly educated neckbeard is going to pidgeon hole the entirety of it on Shaka's Zulus.
>>
>>47595359
The problem with African culture is that the history is poorly preserved, there's massive interference from the colonial period and nobody can do a half-decent job of selling it to the rest of the world anyway.
>>
File: Uchigatana kamakura lozenges.jpg (93 KB, 640x442) Image search: [Google]
Uchigatana kamakura lozenges.jpg
93 KB, 640x442
>>47595305
I guess nothing's really stopping you form using the katana on horseback, but it wasn't really intended for that. It's an infantry weapon, while the cavalry rides around (and some infantry runs around) with tachi, and as such remained a weapon for the grunts as long as the elite was on horseback.
>>
>>47595321
Thank you. English isn't my mother tounge, and what you just said is something that I have been trying to say for quite a while. Thank you.

Besides that,
>>47595196
>Sorry mate, you appear to be arguing a point only you understand, possibly along with a paranoid delusion.
Well, from the very beginning I was trying to argue one particular point (I think (?)).
(i) A reason why European people dislike asian culture is because of the katana.
--Because according to some people, it is the best sword ever created. These people are not that rare these days, for some reason.
-----Some people, me included, disagree. I don't find an analogy for the "katana" in the European sword "evolution". One doesn't find much of an "evolution" at all if one looks at japanese swords. Even if one does, it does not compare to the European ones. Sorry, I just don't see it. That is, the evolution of swords in Europe does not compare to the one in Asia.
>>
>>47595388
That's a problem with cultures that developed around oral traditions.

Also you might think of colonialism as a massive interference, but the African rulers are the ones who willingly participated in the slave trade, and based most of their economy and social structure on collecting and exporting slaves. Hell the sudden abolishment of institutionalized slavery without anytime to reform their economy and social structure was probably a key factor of why Africa is such a shithole today.
>>
>>47595305
Anon, Katanas had a fixed maximum length by law at that point, which made them about five inches shorter than your standard euro military saber.

Never mind that you're comparing a one-handed sword from a culture that's been renowed for making thin swords since antiquity to a hand-and-half sword from the fatso swords end of Eurasia.
>>
>>47595419
>does not compare to the one in Asia.

What kind of fucking brain damage does it take to be unable to distinguish Japan from all of Asia? How can someone that stupid survive?
>>
>>47595516
>>Also you might think of colonialism as a massive interference, but the African rulers are the ones who willingly participated in the slave trade, and based most of their economy and social structure on collecting and exporting slaves
That's not what I meant.

If European cultures hadn't actually taken over the territory and build schools/churches/hospitals/whatever, what we'd have today would be a more exotic and authentic African culture to base fantasy shit in. As it is, we're stuck for information beyond pith helmets and grass skirts, because as you said, there's no written record.
>>
>>47595580
You and I both know African's contact with Europe stretches at least as far back as the 14th century.
>>
>>47593444
Basically, it's because most of /tg/ has dealt with someone who demands to play something inspired by an Asian cartoon - not even actual Asian culture, just the cartoon shit - regardless of his inappropriate of it is, and will throw a shit fit if you say no. It's lead to a "once burned, twice shy" mentality.
>>
>>47595311
The Tang dynasty was a foreign dynasty, Anon. The ruling house preserved some of the most basic steppe culture institutions, which you can see in action among the Ottomans and other steppe dynasties.

The Chinese just pretended that their ching-chong totes Han nip-nog Emperors or their sons went mad whenever they acted upon those.
>>
>>47595616
>You and I both know African's contact with Europe stretches at least as far back as the 14th century.

Now I don't know about you, but in my history, Spain was ruled by Africans for a long time and America is to Subsaharan Africans basically what Australia is to the Britsh.
>>
>>47593444
Because, it could become a weeb shitfest....
>>
>>47594790
Those swords weren't combat swords, they're like the cowboy revolvers imperial germany gave to its officers in WW1: they look kinda cool, and they signify that you are important. They aren't actually for use as weapons.
>>
>>47594157
>I am a grown up Scandinavian (yes, those exist).
I love how these faggots get called out as much if not more than Americans and yet they still feel like everyone else thinks they're better.

Its a perfect storm where their racism, jingoism, and overall ignorance despite 'good education' really goes beyond what your standard American-band dumbasses can muster.
>>
File: Master Crafted Bastard Sword.jpg (31 KB, 467x350) Image search: [Google]
Master Crafted Bastard Sword.jpg
31 KB, 467x350
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.
>>
>>47594119
>This, Legend of the 5 rings doesnt tend to be shitted on, and thats because they stick to the Japanese culture (even to the extremes) instead of the "wow my katana its so cool, look how I am a ninja, so deep and mysterious"

>L5R
>Historically accurate

This is the funniest post i've seen on /tg/.
>>
>>47593591
This is an old lie, and you might want to stop perpetuating it.

Really, the "warhammer wednesdays" only mattered to the warhammer kids, and were ignored by the larger population of 4chan. You really think a single day of spam was enough to warrant a board? If anything, there would have been /an/ long before /tg/, and /fur/ before that if that's how moot decided to make boards.

But no, the more logical conclusion, and the likely origin of the name "traditional games" (rather than /40k/ or /wh/ or /war games/) was all the misplaced D&D threads that showed up in /v/ and /b/. D&D was clearly not a "video" game, hence the creation of a "traditional" game board.

It's also interesting to note that moot has admitted to having played D&D, but not ever having played 40k.
>>
File: Assimilation.jpg (106 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Assimilation.jpg
106 KB, 250x250
>>47593567
>assumptions are bad
>generalisations are wrong
>evidence is required
>one could argue

You can argue non-sequiturs all you like, sport, but this isn't a court of law. /tg/ is Neckbeard Island in a frothing sea of self-loathing otaku, /b/tards and /d/viants. We call it 4chan. Source: The 4chan catalog.

It's not fallacy that ponyfags became so insufferable here - and elsewhere - that they were quarantined by the powers that be, which - wait for it - act as "one entity." It's not silly that continually abrasive conduct by its adherents can make certain subjects toxic.

QED
>>
>>47597116
>This is an old lie

Liar.
>>
>>47594765
>It's easy enough to miss that I haven't noticed any major difference from what kendo and HEMA I've done.
Because your HEMA doesn't take into account dangerous mordhau practices that turn a European bastard sword/longsword into a bludgeoning tool able to cave in a man's skull. Or collapse the wind-pipe. Heavy, dense quillons are good on a sword as they give you an additional surface with which to strike with, and is pretty good at fucking up armor. Or simply hooking a neck.
>>
>>47599900
HEMA is larping with more expensive equipment.

Anyone who thinks it's a good example of real life combat is probably retarded or a fatlus or most probably both.
>>
>>47593444
I have no problem with people who want to play in settings based on Aisian or Japanese culture. I love a little Legend of the Five Rings from time to time.

The problem with Japanese Samurai in the west is twofold. One, massive over-exposure on the 90's and second FUCKING KATANA PLONKERS.
>>
Being actually Japanese I can tell you weebs fucking ruined it for people who genuinely want to play and eastern character or setting.

I can get away with it at the tables because people think I'm playing a racial thing. (But if I'm being honest I like my characters based off my Europen side but I digress)
I've got no issue with someone playing a Easter character but if it's weeb I have no problem crucifying them, because weebs are actually fucking racist pricks.
>>
>>47594396

winner
>>
>>47601525
It depends. HEMA is good for Sabre or Rapier combat because this can be practiced realistically and safely.

Sure as fuck isn't good with longswords though.
>>
>>47602316
reminder that weeb doesn't even mean weeb anymore. it just means someone that likes japanese things. what it should mean is "someone who likes japan but doesn't know anything about it". i am fairly knowledgeable about most things Japanese (pop culture, language, history, politics, ect...). I even know a lot about anime/manga but at least I know what I'm talking about. Weeb is such a shitty term that makes the people that actually know shit about Japan and Japanese stuff.
>>
>>47602660
Fair but regardless it's awful when these animu faggots distil my culture down to their fucking wifus and shitty Cosco katanas.

If you know shit about Japan and your repscting the culture do whatever and all the power to you!
You just don't see the same level of disrespect and "watering down" of European culture that you do of Japanese with the shitty weebs.
>>
>>47602316
>weebs are actually fucking racist pricks.
did all the anime characters photoshopped into trump hats not tip you off?
>>
>>47602660
At the end of the day I blame naruto and naruto like things for a lot of the shitty weeb stuff in /tg/

Fuck I hate anime
>>
>>47603061
I live in Canada so thank god I haven't had to deal with the trump shit.

But no not really. Up here I deal with a lot of fadora fags with fox tails attached to their belts saying Kuwai and shit when they tag their pictures
>>
>>47602316
I played a character based on Miyamoto Musashi a while back and the group weeb didn't like it. I like to think that's a good sign that I'm not one of the bad ones.
>>
>>47593444
Pretty much this >>47593543

Anime and video game culture spawned a generation of people who are interested in Japan and Japanese culture, and some of them take it to obnoxious extremes.

In true 4chan fashion, all people interested in Asia, and specifically Japan, are stereotyped as the lowest common denominator, just as it stereotypes any group. But I agree, there's nothing wrong with a Japanese-type setting or Asian-type setting in and of itself.
>>
>>47603039
You can get katanas at costco?
>>
>>47593444
Its fine with me if the Japanese forces in question are from the Russo-Japanese wars, or WW2.

Japs have always been pretty ingenious with their warfare. using MGs offensively in the Russo-Japanese wars, managing to capture large areas of china and the philipines in WW2. And lets not forget almost wiping the entire US fleet in a single surprise move. Pity they always get outproduced by larger nations.
>>
>>47593444
To be fair by the way, people who take an interest in Africa are sympathizers to "dindu nuffins" and Middle East to terrorist "mudslimes", and either way you are now a puppet of the devilish Jewish conspiracy and a "good goy".

4chan is not a nice place, anon.
>>
>>47603192
Idk what the fuck the yanks can get their hands on at Costco. It seems to sell everything down there. But I just mean the katanas they sell in bulk at green earth or at cons and shit. Fake ones that these fadora types seem to think are real.
If a peice from your sword collection came from a mall that shit ain't real.
>>
>>47593444

Because weaboos, just like furfags, compulsively try to insert their stuff into every single setting they ever play in.

If you want to make a cool, asian themed fantasy setting and run a game in it, awesome, go nuts man.

But if you just want to play some dude with a katana in every single game I run, I'm going to smack you with a book and tell you to police your weebness.

Also because the people who are way into it are the worst generation ever, who grew up on anime rather than reading books, so there's that too.

It's not like any of you fuckers ever bring up stuff like Tales of the Otori, it's always just "omg, this anime/manga is so good, I took japanese in highschool, this is the art for my character, the purple hair is really important, waaa"
>>
>>47603039
I agree, I'm just mad because as a genuine fan of Japanese history and culture as well as someone who has admittedly tons of knowledge about anime/manga weeb has become a term that means "someone who likes Japan/Japanese things" rather than "an idiot who thinks Japan is the best and has no idea what they're talking about"
>>47603071
then you hate weebs, not anime.
>>
>>47593628
What they are doing in OP's pic is closer to hammer throw.
>>
File: 07_1452146286127774.jpg (94 KB, 660x300) Image search: [Google]
07_1452146286127774.jpg
94 KB, 660x300
>>47593444
Because the same hallmarks of a good Asian theme happen to also be the warning signs of cringe worthy weeb-shit.

Much like indie games on Steam Greenlight have to try twice as hard to be noticed in the piles of shit, Asian-themed players have to try twice as hard to prove they want to have something genuinely interesting. It's not fair, but that's just the way things are.
>>
>>47603285
No, weapons are sold at Wal-mart. And even then, only in the Southern States where uttering 'gun-laws' can start a lynch mob.
>>
>>47603391
See idk about that, when I use weeb I'm exclusively referring to the fucks in fadoras talking bout about how their katana was folded 1000 times. The typical stereotype. I don't know anyone to use weeb just to talk about people into general Japanese shit.

If a hommie just likes my peoples shit that's cool. Your just a person with interests.

Nah I hate both. There is a handful and decent anime out there. But most of it is pretty garbage. In Japan it really is the lowest common denominator for entertainment. For some reason the west makes it bigger than it really is. Like its a cartoon. No different then like spongebob is here, it's for kids.

Now Japanese cinema. That shit is clutch.
>>
>>47603647
America is a fucking circus. I seriously sometimes wonder if the whole nation is just a parody of extremes, and it will all turn out to be a performance art peice and then they'll hand it back to England.
>>
>>47603674
>The typical stereotype
See that I can get behind. But the majority of people on the internet and irl use it to refer to people that like Japanese things.
>Like its a cartoon. No different then like spongebob is here, it's for kids.
Anime for the most part is way darker than American cartoons and usually has more complex themes. I'm not exaggerating here. Just watch some shit on Cartoon Network or Nick nowadays. Now let's not kid ourselves, there ARE anime for kids, but there is anime for an older audience as well. Anime is a medium, not a genre and to categorize it as such is unfair to the people that actually make quality anime (both in terms of technical animation craft as well as story/characters/setting). But I will say that manga generally appeals to a greater range of people due to the lack of restrictions that it has that anime has to abide by due to censorship laws.
>Now Japanese cinema. That shit is clutch.
I watch both.
>>
>>47603711
>whole nation is just a parody of extremes
Not parody. In its own warped way, it works.
>it will all turn out to be a performance art peice
Well some cities do that
>then they'll hand it back to England.
Okay now that's just hopeless Brit-wank. Like when Chinese dream of annexing London the same way Brits did Hong Kong.
>>
>>47603766
>Anime for the most part is way darker than American cartoons and usually has more complex themes. I'm not exaggerating here. Just watch some shit on Cartoon Network or Nick nowadays. Now let's not kid ourselves, there ARE anime for kids, but there is anime for an older audience as well. Anime is a medium, not a genre and to categorize it as such is unfair to the people that actually make quality anime (both in terms of technical animation craft as well as story/characters/setting). But I will say that manga generally appeals to a greater range of people due to the lack of restrictions that it has that anime has to abide by due to censorship laws.

What cracks me up is how western weaboos go on and on about how anime is mature and not for kids, but the japanese DO consider it fairly childish and people who keep watching it as adults are still considered huge dorks.
>>
>>47603285
I know at least one of my swords isn't real. Or at least, I highly doubt that it is. I'm pretty sure it wasn't made by Elves, and it doesn't look like it's been used before.

Speaking of Elves, why are they such faggots?
>>
>>47603843
I'm not in the dark on how the Japanese think it's childish. But to compare it with Western cartoons is greatly overestimating the quality of Western cartoons, both in terms of narrative as well as animation quality. Anime is generally more high quality than American cartoons in almost every category.
>>
>>47603865
>But to compare it with Western cartoons is greatly overestimating the quality of Western cartoons,
Futurama is the best thing that was ever put on air and I would be perfectly happy if every other show in the world was canceled if it meant I could have futurama back for just one more day.
>>
>>47603989
Say what you will about Futurama's comedy (it's pretty good I will admit) but in terms of animation quality it doesn't trump some of the more high-budget shows that anime produces. That's just a fact. Enjoyment factor has nothing to do with it, some anime is just technically better in terms of anime quality (and sometimes in terms of story or setting/worldbuilding as well)
>>
>>47603865
I wouldn't say high quality, more that there's far, far more variety compared to the western animation because of the way the culture/industry works. You have the Doraemons for kids, Narutos for the twelve year olds, Hellsings and ghosts in the shells for the slightly older, and so on. Western animation for most part seemed directed at kids; anime, less so.
Back on topic though, I really don't see why some people are equating the entirety of western arms history with that of Japan, which was possibly the most isolated asian nation there was. Take a look at China, for instance. Or their vassal states in the north or south. There's plenty of variety there.
>>
>>47594441
>europe actually accomplished something after 900 AD

Yeah, like be such a fucking poverty stricken shithole that even the Mongols didn't bother invading the place.
>>
>>47603626
>Asian-themed players have to try twice as hard

Thats just like real asian people.
>>
File: 1 2.png (478 KB, 697x441) Image search: [Google]
1 2.png
478 KB, 697x441
It's like people who ask "Why do people hate people who vape?"

If you have to ask, you're probably part of the problem.
>>
>>47593444
Several reasons:
-As noted, those players latch onto one or two elements of cool and ignore the rest of those, you know, role playing relevant elements.
-Squealing fanboyz are annoying regardless of the actual target of their squeals.
-Not least because of the aforementioned willful ignorance of that which they squeal about.
-/tg/ doesn't like "fans" of any stripe, but especially hates squealers.
-Anonymity keeps the Internet Hate Machine fed.
-Derision of "the other" is a natural defense mecha.. you know what, I'm done.

TLDR: Because people suck.
>>
>>47604100
I wanted to point out that a lot of western animation, although for kids, has a lot humor that is not understood by kids, and certainly not for kids.

The animation might make it appeal to kids, but the writing is often riddled with hidden meaning meant for the older generations, kind of like movies during times with heavy censorship.

I think anime is just more recognized and understood at the moment - theres currently a larger medium for distribution, which never really existed for western cartoons.
>>
>>47595616
Make it 400 to 300 bc.
>>
>>47605786
Make it at least second millennium BC. There was trade between Egypt and Greece.
>>
>>47593444
>asian setting equals japanese culture
>>
>>47593444
It's simple. /tg/ will try to deny this, but listen. /tg/ is full of white people and whites prefer European culture and aesthetics for their fantasies. Asiatic culture is the only one that can actually compete in depth, myth, and coolness. White's can't stand for this, and so it is put down. Other cultures like African or Arabic act as largely hipster and alt settings that are cool only occasionally. They may act like anime and weeb faggots are the problem, but they are in fact rare and many western settings and themes over-exemplify the european culture they are based on. Westaboos are more accepted as a result.
>>
>>47606163
it also should be noted that even if one is not white and on /tg/ they are very likely to be located in a western culture, and therefore the outcome is largely the same.
>>
File: bones.jpg (162 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
bones.jpg
162 KB, 300x450
>>47606163
That's silly. You're silly.
>>
>>47606181
it isn't though. /tg/ acts as if weebs are a huge problem, when in fact they are a huge minority. Look at shows like Game of Thrones or the popularity of Lord of the Rings. Non-weebs who prefer classic fantasy are far more prevalent and the hatred for weebs are generated because of this bias in preferred fantasy. If you look at it from an unbiased perspective you'll find both are just nerdy shit, and the western weeb who worships asian culture as superior is a rare thing.
>>
>>47605895
Hey, this is an US board, so a Vietnamese setting wouldn't be about freedom fighters who rapidly adapted the gun and the multi-stage anti-ship missile in order to manifest destiny on all the people surrounding them but about tiny, cave-dwelling and man-eating trolls who just want to kill all humans.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (16 KB, 182x247) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
16 KB, 182x247
>>47594441
>>47605376
Funnily, the long cruciformed crossguard apparently first appeared on swords in mongolian graves and on iranian swords.
>>
>>47604025
They were doing that CGI back in the fucking 90s. Believe me, that shit stacks the fuck up to what anime was doing at the time.
>>
>>47606227
>>47606163

basically this, the whole nippon steel thing went out of fashion around the turn of the millennium and we're left with a bunch of old guard sticklers dancing on Tolkien's desiccated corpse making ching-chong noises

even as now the most popular fantasy series are things that might as well be titled "A song of me pointing out everything that was wrong with LotR and Wheel of Time" prepare to have everything that's to outside of people's comfort zone criticised for being weeb garbage

this includes classic D&D settings like planescape, spelljammer, dark sun and ravenholm which people who have never heard of them immediately identify as anime bullshit
>>
>>47606435
>even as now the most popular fantasy series are things that might as well be titled "A song of me pointing out everything that was wrong with LotR and Wheel of Time"

...and those are all already over two decades old as well. The most recent trend in fantasy novels I'm aware of was urban fantasy.
>>
>>47593444
>why no nip setting?
Because it brings out the spaghetti in people.
>>
File: 2398388251.gif (428 KB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
2398388251.gif
428 KB, 500x209
>it's another katana vs long sword debate
>>
I lived in Japan for 3 years. 2 as a child and 1 as an adult. I hate weebs and like Japanese history. Some fascinating naval battles between the nips and Koreans.
>>
Because "Japanese culture" is not so secret talk for weeb scum. Not "I want to play a historical war game set in medieval Japan".
>>
>>47606840
>hates weebs
>is a weeb

Why don't you just sudoku yourself then?
>>
>>47606853

Living in Japan makes me a weeb? I have no interest in anime, manga, J-pop. I do like Japanese food/cooking and Japanese history.
>>
>>47606435
>ravenholm
What class is Gordon?
>>
>>47603766
No I'm serious. It really is for kids.
I lived in Japan for a while. Kind of a make your own birthright trip.
Anyway anime is ligit for children. Yeah you've got the super mature stuff like AoT or whatever but that's largely for teenaged audiences and they know they can sell it in North America now that we've developed and audience for its distribution. But like a 25 year old in Japan is getting the same side eye glance from his dad for watching cartoons as the 25 year old here. Weebs exist in Japan as well.
The weeb is a universily hated thing, and anime really is for kids. No matter how much people try to sell it as
"oh look at the animation it's so good technically and artistically. No seriously the plot is so deep and such good narrative"
It's just a defence for liking kids stuff. Now like it if you like it, that's fine. But own that it's a kids thing don't try to over sell it as something it's not.
>>
>>47606862
You are the worst kind of weaboo, the kind that thinks he's somehow better than other weaboos when you're really just a boring weaboo.
>>
>47607311
Swiggity swoo, here's your (you)
>>
>>47594142

>Lo5R is ULTRA weaboo. It's more weaboo than Naruto, what with all the honorabu conductu shit they've loaded it with.

That's fine though since the system is built around that culture and not just including it in because katanas and ninjas are cool.
>>
>>47595535
>katanas
>thin
dude, those tended to be pretty fat blades.
>>
>>47607500
Read the paragraph again. That's exactly what I wrote.
>>
>>47607088
>Weebs exist in Japan as well.
As in losers who stay indoors and are obsessed with anime, or as in losers who are creepily obsessed with a foreign culture while still only absorbing the surface details?
>>
>>47593444
How about this? Japanese culture is stupid and weird.
>>
>>47607822
Kek

But to answer your question, both. Mostly the losers who stay inside and are obsessed with anime.
But there is a small sect of people in Japan who do weeb teir shit with American 1950's greaser culture. Look it up its funny AF.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (37 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
37 KB, 800x600
>>47607896
That could be said of all cultures though.
>>
>>47607910
Jesus. I haven't seen this many pompadours since the time I accidently google image searched pompadours.
>>
>>47607822
>>47607910
Goddamit now you two are making me remember that dweeb who moved to japan and decided to make a living drawing porn.
>>
>>47607992
Right? You want to talk about weird Japan. Most people haven't even scrached the surface
>>
>>47608111
Do you have any advice for other things? Do the brazilians get up to anything stupid?
>>
>>47607088
Marketed towards kids, yeah. Maybe only traditionally socially acceptable for kids. But if there's something in something animated for adults to appreciate, then there's nothing wrong with that.

You're posting on /tg/. Most of what's talked about here is "kids stuff" in the eyes of others, as well.
>>
>>47593444
Because this imageboard was based on a japanese anime imageboard, and /a/ is the sum total of the sole purpose of this imageboard, and now even a jap runs it
>>
>>47595616
Acutally Europe and Africa have been in contact since forever desu, Egypt or Carthage for example. Only retarded Americans think as Africa as only the black parts too.
>>
>>47593444
Ancient 4chan bias that became a meme, that in turn became part of 4chan's "culture"
>>
>>47608160
What arent the Brazilians up to?

But for weird subcultures

LeSape
Clock Crew
sonich
Rockabilly (which you already saw)
Cromulently Flanderous
Pro Anorexia
Miss Barbie Venezuela
Looners
Feederism
Elevator enthusiasts
Bills (From the Congo)
Rubber Duck Racing
Mexican Pointy Boots
Real life super heros
Cult of Cybele (old one but fucking hilarious to read)
Rubber Dolls
HP Lovecraft historical society (this one is actually really cool)
Abecedarians
Adult Babies
Suspensioners

and My all time favorite weird subculture

Renegades (Botswana Deathmetal enthusiasts)
>>
>>47608405
"Africa" is more and more to the layman becoming the Subsaharan, kind of like how the Orient became "Asia"
>>
File: CfFgc2_UEAAK-2_.jpg (58 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CfFgc2_UEAAK-2_.jpg
58 KB, 600x450
I hate anti-weebs more than actual weebs. Its just people who watch Filthy Frank because they think their humor is "superior." What they dont realize is they are just as bad as the people they are cringing at.
You cant even say the word Japan without people going "WEABOO XD"
>>
>>47608477
>LeSape
There's nothing wrong with having a suit in colors that aren't grey
>Clock Crew
The thing from newgrounds?
>>47608512
>Filthy Frank
I know nothing about him other than the summary of the first google result and I already want to punch him.
>>
>>47607088
>anime is for kids
>when shit like GiTS exists
yeah right faggot. you are talking out of your ass and you know it. I lived in Japan as well so I have no illusions that anime is looked down upon as a kidish activity. That doesn't mean the actual material of anime actually is kidish. It's actually more mature than a lot of western cartoons because it appeals to a much larger range of genres/ages.
>>
>>47593444
Nothing wrong with Japanese settings, but they do tend to attract ignorant weebs and ヱアブーs and shit

it's more a vendetta against the playerbase that moved into a vendetta against the thing, kind of like what you see with the shills for CERTAIN systems around here
>>
>>47608512
Man, the only good things on Frank's channel are those cooking videos.
>>
>>47593444
>why does /tg/
>proceeds to describe something only a small minority of /tg/ does

Why do faggots make retarded threads like these all the time?
>>
File: FATAL.jpg (245 KB, 728x942) Image search: [Google]
FATAL.jpg
245 KB, 728x942
>>47609340
>kind of like what you see with the shills for CERTAIN systems around here

You mean this?
>>
>>47609391
Does anyone shill for FATAL?
It's more of a meme, really.
>>
File: 1379017005969.jpg (225 KB, 641x901) Image search: [Google]
1379017005969.jpg
225 KB, 641x901
Mostly because it's only understood at the surface level, I think. That can be from both the weebs and euroboos, but realistically we tend to see more of the weebs online and hence it tinges our perception over here. Both want to have their dick-waving contest in some way or another, and really only learn about the other to spite them.

As a student of Japanese philosophy however, I can say that a real appreciation and understanding of the genuine culture can make for neat /tg/ things, and giving your world's cultures more flavors than 'Elves' and 'Not-British' ect. With an understanding of both, you can start to play with and merge the two into something creative that allows you to be exotic and have katanas and the like without having to just make a 'Not-Japan' place/race ect.

For example, Shakespeare's Poet-King idea from the Tempest, who changes reality with the power of words and creating context (the Tempest is full of self-wank about how he did this), easily fits in with the Japanese idea of Kotodama, and then from there you can create a civilization where bards are considered sacred and powerful because they have such power ect.

tl;dr: just actually learn about other cultures more than just to say how much they're shit
>>
>>47594108
>European swords could be considered better due to the fact that the vast majority of iron in Japan was low quality (hence the continuous folding of japanese swords)

Japanese swords are not different from European swords because of folding the metal. Everyone folded the metal for sword blades until blast furnaces could make large amounts of uniform steel.

Japanese swords are primary different than European swords because Japanese smiths jointed together multiple pieces of steel with different carbon content and hardness, while European swords were mostly a single carbon steel. There are pros and cons to each method and neither are inherently superior for blade construction.
>>
>>47609528
>For example, Shakespeare's Poet-King idea from the Tempest, who changes reality with the power of words and creating context (the Tempest is full of self-wank about how he did this), easily fits in with the Japanese idea of Kotodama

From what I remember, the theories of art influencing people of Shakespear's time weren't based on Kanji representing platonic concepts in the flesh and Japanese being the language of the gods, but on the Hippocratean theory of humors.
>>
>>47594558
Taiji jiang. Look it up.
It's chink stuff.
I'm so sad Chinese culture gets labeled as weaboo thanks to autists equating it with Japanesea stuff.
>>
>>47595153
So say Japan you nonce, it's not that hard
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.