[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make a lich a good guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 36
File: 1464828396387.jpg (77 KB, 736x668) Image search: [Google]
1464828396387.jpg
77 KB, 736x668
How do you make a lich a good guy?
>>
>>47589323
Call them an arch-lich
>>
File: Sokushinbutsu.jpg (315 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
Sokushinbutsu.jpg
315 KB, 1000x800
>>
A) Change what it means to be a lich so it's not just evil wizards willing to sacrifice their humanity to attain immortality, thus letting good wizards become liches too.
B) Make the lich remorseful; 1000 years of loneliness tends to drive them mad, but there's always the chance a lich would swing the other way and realize "hey maybe other people are actually worth hanging out with and I should be less of a dick to them." He probably won't be great at doing good, but he's trying!
>>
>>47589323
If you can't figure out how to do it yourself, I have zero faith in your ability to do it well.
>>
>>47589323
make the PC's the bad guys
>>
>>47589671
They usually do that on their own.
>>
Depends on the setting. Liches are almost always evil due to inherent nature of necromancy, though most times it usually leaves the lich with their own free will. Have it be the spirit of a sorecerous hero who was raised to fight off greater evils.

This is actually an idea I've been looking at for awhile for a BBEG. Ancient king raised from the dead to fight an immortal dragon he defeated during his reign, but because abhorrence of necromancy he's effectively being hunted down.
>>
First, make him not a murderhobo. Then, make him speak inspirational speeches, make good political decisions,

Allows mortals to live in his necrokingdom, trades, does diplomacy. All for the sake of strenghtening the kingdom and keeping citizens satisfied and working well. Free thought, free will, maybe even democracy and capitalism. Sounds kind of dindu, yea?

All for the sake of his mad dream of ruling the galaxy someday. Scientists and workers will make something to reach for the sky, and... THE STARS WILL BE CONQUERED, AND GODS WILL KNEEL OR DIE. ALL WHO OPPOSES THE WILL OF MASTER OF DEATH AND LIFE SHALL be persuaded to not oppose or PERISH.
>>
>>47589323
By doing it? Negative energy isn't evil in of itself and if its your setting you can just do it because your the creator or dm.
>>
Unless liching explicitly requires one to be bad guy, there's nothing wrong with being a benevolent undead wizard. I guess stench of decay would upset petitioners for some time, but once all your flesh falls off, you are going to do fine. Particularly in typical fantasy where nothing ever changes.
>>
>>47589457
All I heard at the very end of that paragraph was Mr. Meeseeks talking about Jerry's golf swing.
>>
Have his undead love him, and serve him willingly.
>>
File: latest-1.jpg (84 KB, 424x566) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.jpg
84 KB, 424x566
"The end justifies the means"
>>
In one campaign I had a lich guarding an planar gate that led to an eldritch horror dimension. Gate couldn't be destroyed without serious problems, so he just made sure no one ever used it.
>>
File: Archlich.jpg (99 KB, 550x811) Image search: [Google]
Archlich.jpg
99 KB, 550x811
Archlich
>>
Have him be evil but not a dick. As in by this point he's lost all desire to conquer and enslave. He does bare minimum to maintain his existence out of pure habit. Which in this case, because of his mastery, means sucking life essence out of cattle like once a year.

Now he's gotten bored and started visiting human towns just to break the tedium. Vivisecting people lost it's allure quite some time ago and the meatsacks walking around and talking is interesting again.

Could be entertaining people as a clown because seeing people happy is one of the major things he hasn't seen in an eternity.
>>
>>47589323
By not making it a bad guy.
You know, like a nice person or something.
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>47589323
>>
>>47589323
>>47589323
Don't play D&D or any D&D setting.
>>
File: 58dbd8_5536685.jpg (688 KB, 800x2835) Image search: [Google]
58dbd8_5536685.jpg
688 KB, 800x2835
>>
Make the lich a girl
She's nice and polite to everyone
She pays her taxes
During times of war she contributes to the kingdom's armies
>>
Make him a wizard who became a lich in order to extend his lifestpan to continue fighting the forces of evil.
>>
File: Savior.jpg (329 KB, 561x750) Image search: [Google]
Savior.jpg
329 KB, 561x750
Like this.
>>
File: 1464715493974.png (225 KB, 986x553) Image search: [Google]
1464715493974.png
225 KB, 986x553
>>47591610
>lich
>>
>>47591422
Explosion!
>>
Eccentric researcher who accidently became a lich. Views their condition humorously, and makes jokes all the time.

Wizard simply in love with knowledge. Viewed becoming a lich as a step towards learning everything they could. Is now a one-lich library and wealth of information, serving in an advisory role to the nobles.

These are just off the top of my head.
>>
>>47589323
>How do you make a lich a good guy?
They seek to defy death for a good reason? Perhaps they have a vision of X, and became a lich to make sure that X does not happen, for instance?
>>
How good of a person does a lich have to be before letting them (un)live is a responsible, ethical decision?
>>
>Ancient wizard yearning for immortality
>Sacrifices humanity and becomes undead
>Thousand years pass, and he grows cold and lonely
>Goes out and sees the world under a disguise
>Yearlong quest where he sees the highs and low of humanity, falls back in love with everything he gave up a millenia ago
>Wishes to express his love of life by presenting the entire world with gifts
>Marshals his godly knowledge of magic to stop time for a night
>Goes across the lands with magic, hiding gifts in the homes of people he has deemed of being the pinnacle of virtue
>Vows to do so every year on the anniversary of his revelation
>Nicholas, the Christmas Lich
>>
>>47589323
The funny thing is the closest things we have to liches in real life are living buddhas.

Who are essentially Buddhas that come so fucking close to reaching enlightenment and ascending before death, that they're spiritually still alive meditating.
>>
>>47589323
ask yourself how is a lich inherently evil
>>
>>47592046

I love it
>>
File: 1367973358987.jpg (90 KB, 331x562) Image search: [Google]
1367973358987.jpg
90 KB, 331x562
>>47590017
"But ends are SHAPED by the means!"
>>
>>47590017
Fucker killed his own granddaughter and the local sociopaths called him out on this.
>>
>>47589323
I had a friendly lich running a kind of private magic forensics lab for a party while they tracked down a different lich. The good lich was growing plants in the undead trying to use them as a way to convert negative energy into life energy. He did however run into snags where the undead negative energy was too strong so only particularly resiliant and often monsterlike plants would survive transplants. Also it had some corrupting properties on lesser autonomous plantlife. Eventually he had to be stopped but not before he marched his small army of shambling plants and zombies against an outbreak of plague zombies and helped save the city.
>>
Lich tries to raise dead as favor to grieving families and to give dead a second chance at life. When that doesn't work (and it never does) the raised congregate around him. Now he's the beloved mayor of Bonetown where the undead are allowed to live a happy quiet unlife away from the fearful judging eyes of the living.
>>
>>47592891
>Bonetown

Are they also constantly harassed by teenaged migrants who try to steal the "Welcome to Bonetown" sign or just stand around giggling all day?
>>
>>47591637
Supposedly he became immortal after an innocent (himself) was sacrificed.

Pretty lichy.
>>
>>47590386
You going to contribute anything other than "I don't like D&D, and you shouldn't either!"?
>>
>>47592920
This occurance is in fact the potential trigger to a long standing political tension and (un)livist predjudice between Bonetown and the neighorboring kingdoms of the living that the party must negotiate.
>>
File: bjorn.jpg (476 KB, 1927x1379) Image search: [Google]
bjorn.jpg
476 KB, 1927x1379
>>
>>47592834
You didn't kill the misguided guy did you? Seems almost cruel to.
>>
>>47593180
And he hits on a Canoness...doesn't matter that he's a Dreadnought.
>>
>>47592942
>not knowing about True Resurrection
>>
>>47591660
You can't accidentally become a lich, unless you change it fundamentally, since the ritual to become one requires a willing participant
>>
File: Skelly1.jpg (57 KB, 370x650) Image search: [Google]
Skelly1.jpg
57 KB, 370x650
>>47590168
>clown litch
>>
>>47589323
Dont make them a lich or a lich that wants to revert.
>>
File: 1024px-The_Shitterton_Sign.jpg (196 KB, 1024x821) Image search: [Google]
1024px-The_Shitterton_Sign.jpg
196 KB, 1024x821
>>47592920
>>47593027
Solution: carve all road signs into the living rock to prevent delinquents from making off with them.
>>
>>47592424
Too give him credit he did not know at the time and felt really bad about.

What would you do if a bunch of do gooders went into your crib you use to bind evil hell spawn and as a base against BBEG and started to rek shit up ?
>>
>>47589323
There was a thread a long while back about using schools of magic besides necromancy to turn yourself immortal. The body of an evocation lich would be shaped from invisible force, the body of a transmutation lich would be turned into living iron, etc.
>>
>>47589323
He became a lich to protect his descendents. Its easier than you think.
>>
>>47589323

He used to be an asshole but now he's the party's cool uncle.
>>
>>47589323
Give him a different motivation.
>>
A good guy got cursed to live eternally as a lich.

Some guy got ressurected against his will to be used for evil, but he managed to break free and retain his will.

A band of heroes tried to stop a lich ritual and one of the heroes accidentally stumbled into it and became the focus.

Guy becomes a lich to eternally guard a sacred area or keep some bad guy locked up. Bad guy eventually dies but the guardian is still around, now with nothing in particular to do.
>>
>>47589379
This is the non-evil way of becoming a lich in my setting.
>>
>>47589323
Being more interested in a stable and long-time rule than "kill everyone immediately so I run out of resources!!!"

Undead are an unlimited workforce so the population can spend its time on services/creative professions. Those skellingtons gotta be replaced due to wear and tear though.
>>
>>47594802
Try to talk with them like a reasonable adult?
>>
>>47597222
You clearly aren't warlock material.
>>
>>47590017
I hope you like rotting in hell at the end, stupid eldritch blast fucker.
>>
File: 1335752410451.png (53 KB, 1231x681) Image search: [Google]
1335752410451.png
53 KB, 1231x681
>>47589323

Technically, it's about a necromancer, but potato, tomato.
>>
>>47597235
CRAAAAAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIN
>>
>>47589845
>All for the sake of his mad dream of ruling the galaxy someday. Scientists and workers will make something to reach for the sky, and... THE STARS WILL BE CONQUERED, AND GODS WILL KNEEL OR DIE. ALL WHO OPPOSES THE WILL OF MASTER OF DEATH AND LIFE SHALL be persuaded to not oppose or PERISH.

[Celestia Regina Intensifies]
>>
>>47597286
>Celestia Regina

That's Latin for "Queen of Heaven" right?
>>
>>47597259
What an idealistic fucking pussy. Thinking that society will ever evolve into something nice without him. He should've made himself a lich and continued to manipulate it from shadows to further his goals. Maybe he did, and it was a decoy.
>>
>>47592424
To be fair... he was still a more relatable and well-adjusted individual than the fucking psychotic Sorceress and serial killer Ranger.
>>
>>47589323
Necromancy is not inherently evil, just magic powered by the neutral underworld. The worst thing he does is disrespect the bodies of the dead
>>
>>47597712
citation needed

some DnD necromancy spells have evil descriptor
>>
>>47589340
Kek, this is basically it. It's is basically rebelling against the natural order, something inherently chaotic and/or evil.

You basically can not have Good Liches outside of you want one, basically everything that a 'Good Lich' provides, there is a simpler, more good-aligned and reasonable way to accomplish.
>>
>>47597888
I meant in that specific setting
>>
>>47597925 #

So for a human in DnD 5e, what is an easier good alligned way to become an ageless being that can regenerate if that body is destroyed and doesn't have a metabolism with all the baggage that comes with it?
>>
>>47598686
Becoming an Elan. Repeated use of Reincarnation.
>>
>>47589323
Didn't one if the AD&D supplements have a chaotic good bard lich?
>>
>>47598746
>Becoming an Elan.

Sorry. I meant to specify "as a human in 5e".
Can you please answer that?
>>
Pic related isn't a terrible example.

Just need something worse than eating souls for them to be preventing. Got to break a few thousand eggs a day if you want a galactic lighthouse.
>>
>>47589457
Great now you made me think the lich is acting like sorin Markov...
"I'm a jerk....for the greater good"
>>
Liches in my campaigns are typically nerds who have a whole lot of time on their hands.
Once my group came accross a lich in his dungeon which itself was a massive library and as long as they didn't fuck with his reading time they would have gone unnoticed.
They did get his attention trying to take one of his books of the shelf and they ended up paying their way out with an ancient almanac.
He was much more interested in the record tomato yeild from 600 years ago than another group of merderhobos trying to gank him again.
>>
The world is being taken over by a great evil. A mighty team is on the verge of destroying it once and for all, but they fail, all dying horribly. All except the wizard that is. Bruised and broken, he manages to escape, utilizing his most powerful spell to warp him back in time. However, it's difficult to control the spell and he goes too far back.

He knows what he must do. He sacrifices his very humanity, and countless innocent lives to become a powerful lich, living long enough to witness the rise of his old group. He becomes the big bad, sending minions to fight the party, but it's all secretly to train them for the far more powerful foe to come.
>>
>>47589892
Lichdom tends to require you to do horrible things in pursuit of sustaining your life, tearing your soul out, and forcibly binding it to this world in defiance of the natural order in most DnD depictions.
>>
>>47591422
>>47592891
A perfect description of one of my old characters.
>>
>>47598744
You misunderstand what I meant, my point was that the reason often comes after the idea.

I have this great idea, it is X. Now, how can I fit X in to a story? My point was that if you take the end product say, I want an this resting place guarded, an order is created in secret with their charge handed down from generation to generation.

Lets say, I need somebody here to await a message, let us create a Golem who can be tasked with recording it.

My point was that in fiction, especially young-adult fiction, the really cool idea tends to be the center point with the plot dropped in around it. Do not get me wrong, I do love some of the adults and have very fond memories reading them.
>>
>>47597888
>some

Exactly. There are probably spells with the evil descriptor in every school.
>>
>>47599351
Sure, in Book of Vile Darkness.
>>
>>47599310

I don't understand what you are saying.
>>
>>47592993
D&D and all D&D settings are geared toward liches being evil. It's deep underpinning that's very central to the particular flavor of the D&D genre.
By throwing in non-evil liches you're suddenly opening the door to non-evil intelligent undead like vampire hunters. This makes organizations that hunt undead seem less like societies of monster-hunters and more like a fantastical KKK. So now you have to justify how these crazy assholes can go around killing non-evil undead without provocation without being evil themselves. At this point you have to struggle with whether alignment is truly objective, which defuses all ambiguity by creating a bland moral divide, or subjective, which makes alignment a meaningless doodad in an amoral world.

Or you can avoid all this by playing something else.
>>
>>47599363

A quick look I found,evil non necromancy spells in these books.
planar handbook, spell compendium, sandstorm, dragon magic, defenders of the faith,tome of battle,stormwrack, players handbooks,ghostwalk,heroes of horror,draconomicon,dragons of faerun,oriental adventures,
Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn, frostburn,miniatures handbook, heroes of battle,complete adventurer,unapproachable east,complete arcana,complete mage.

There may even be a metamagic that can turn evil spells good.
>>
>>47599426
>Or you can avoid all this by playing something else

This is what I did.
>>
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 740x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227 KB, 740x1024
>>47599426

What are ways you would recommend to attain lichdom (or a functional equivalent that does doesnn't require periodic infusions of expensive materials to keep going) in a Non-DnD fantasy game where morality is not objective?
>>
>>47599726
>Non-DnD fantasy game
Via fucking magic?
>>
File: Jack.jpg (26 KB, 630x390) Image search: [Google]
Jack.jpg
26 KB, 630x390
>>47599386
Authors and creators think of a really cool idea that does not make much sense or is an inversion of something that already exists.

This example is a Good-Aligned Lich, this is a contradiction in both folklore and the majority of standard fantasy settings as Lichs are evil, the act to become one requires the mage to commit a brutally evil act, or several, to become a Lich.

Once the idea is create, the Lich is that Good, they then have to come up with a reason to place him in a setting or a story. Almost every single time a Good Aligned lich is placed in fiction there is a better alternative.

>>47598744
Pic related, this is what you want.
>>
>>47593428

fucking what? links.
>>
>>47599749
>Via fucking magic?

Yes. What I am asking is what forms of rituals would you recommend that take.
>>
File: 1232489256165.jpg (268 KB, 769x1200) Image search: [Google]
1232489256165.jpg
268 KB, 769x1200
>>47589323
oh that's dirt fucking simple.

Most liches are power-mad fucks trying to escape death.

Make a lich that doesn't care if he dies, he just wants to accomplish a goal and isn't going to live long enough normally. Madness can take him as long as he strives to complete the task.

Say..... saving the world from climate change.

Sealing the door to a cthulian horror.

Shutting down the warp.

Making peep marshmellows at an affordable price for every walk of life.

It really doesn't matter.
>>
>>47599772
I think he's referring to that female Inquisitor from Fenris he met during the SW's little war with the big I.
>>
File: 1270561646022.jpg (72 KB, 401x609) Image search: [Google]
1270561646022.jpg
72 KB, 401x609
>>47599810
Fist you make a magic circle.
Fill it with magic dust.
Get the magic faries to dance the magic ritual.
Carve the magic cheese in the ancient tradition that makes it airborn.
Sing the magic song of the eldars.
Wiggle the fingers.
Jiggle the butt.
And wave it around like you just don't care.

BAM! Non-D&D magical lichdom ritual.
>>
File: b3gxeMm.gif (856 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
b3gxeMm.gif
856 KB, 500x281
>>47599903
>Making peep marshmellows at an affordable price for every walk of life.

>The Ancient Lich has an army of animated marshmallow chickens
>>
File: 3.jpg (171 KB, 640x821) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
171 KB, 640x821
>>47599932
oh, I should clarify.

The faeries alternate between breakdancing and waltzing mid-air.
>>
>>47591402
Got the rest of these comics? They never fail to make me giggle.

I also love this interpretation of a "good" lich.
>>
>>47599960

He Mad.
>>
>>47599810
Call upon the god of life and god of time, making the appropriate sacrifices. The ritual happens at the same time that a rare species of snake, contained in its own separate magical circle, sheds its skin, Then you drink the potion, which is mostly a well proportioned poison, and fall into a deep slumber. When you awake,the snake is dead and you are immortal.
>>
Make his goals more noble. Rather than being greedy for power and eternal life, maybe he sought immortality to be a repository for information, a guide for anyone who seeks him out. Maybe he's seen enough kingdoms fall over themselves and collapse or rush into useless wars that he offers advice with long reaching vision to kings and other powerful figures. Or maybe he just needs to be immortal to fight a much greater evil that just can't be beaten in a single lifetime.
>>
>>47589323
Empathy.
>>
>>47599726
Over the course of a bout a year, the candidate must regular imbibe a tonic composed of water, jet, ground bones, and fresh blood.

This tonic saps the candidate's physical strength, rendering him virtually helpless toward the end of his regimen (which means that servants are a necessity).

This will culminate in his death. If the tonic was well-mixed and his soul is strong, his spirit will return to the place of his death and possess the nearest humanoid corpse it can find, becoming a full-fledged Lich.
>>
>Once, long ago, there was a malicious, evil sorcerer. More monster than man, willing to go far beyond the realms of cruelty to further pursue his power and knowledge.

>However, the one thing the sorcerer feared more than all else, was death. He would do anything to achieve immortality.

>Countless atrocities were committed in the name of escaping his rightful end, and finally it seemed the sorcerer had succeeded.

>Never before was a man so cruel and malicious as he. And with his lichdom, the sorcerer believed he would cultivate his unmatched power with no limit to his experimentation and efforts. Not even death could take that from him any longer.

>And he was right. For a while. But the Lich quickly discovered his cruelty had unforeseen limitation. And one that only came with his undeath: time. Time to reflect. Time to learn. Time to repent. And in those countless centuries of unending, misshapen life, the Lich grew tired of his pursuit of power. And with no desire for anything more, he discovered empathy for all the pain caused, and lives wasted by his goals. Goals that felt so small as he'd live to see even great nations fall and rise.

>He felt sadness for those he harmed. He felt disgust for the monster he had become. But more than anything, he felt the creeping fear of his death return once more.

>And so the Lich locked himself away from the world. Deep in the halls of his great keep. He would repent for his sins in solitude, too afraid to end his shadow of life once and for all, but similarly terrified of bringing harm to anyone like he once had done so easily. And perhaps one day, he would find a means to pay this world back for all the suffering he had caused in his frivolous quest.

Eh, I tried. Time's a bitch. I figure even the most vile person could have a change of heart given enough time to reflect.
>>
File: necro family.png (796 KB, 1912x4838) Image search: [Google]
necro family.png
796 KB, 1912x4838
>>47589323
Why has this not been posted?
>>
>>47602650
Because here the necromancer actually dies and has nothing to do with lichdom?
>>
>>47589323
>becoming a lich is not auto-evil
Simply, the process, whatever done, is just a process rather than a moral event horizon.

>lichified by someone else
This pretty simply passes off the work and moral requirements to someone else, and is about as difficult as the above to justify. Say, parents trying to save their child, or the successful test subject of a necromancer, or "I was delivering the pizza, tripped and fell into the magic circle, and this happened. The wizard-guy was pretty mad, which was funny. The real kicker though? I misread the address, he didn't even order the pizza!"

>reformed over time
1000 years after their story, what happens? Not every lich is vanquished, not every lich is stopped, so what happens if, ages after their plans have come to fruition, the lich has to deal with still being? The world kept turning, the darkness ran out of juice or the world adapted, and the lich is left to think, to experience unlife for aeons still. One possibility, is that they have a simple, gradual, change of heart. Indeed, they might have a whole fucking lot of changes of heart, you can just set the time period to when the lich is on the backswing to being good again.
>>
>>47599189
agreed.
>>
>>47590198
Nobody? Really? You guys suck.
>>
File: Gwyndolin_in_the_tomb.png (1 MB, 798x855) Image search: [Google]
Gwyndolin_in_the_tomb.png
1 MB, 798x855
>>47589323
Good examples
>Elder statesman rebuilding nation
>Elder cleric in religion that venerates the old
>>47589379

Neutral examples
>Old mage holding ancient lore
>Old mage cataloging something
>Old mage holding mage guild in order for centuries
>>47590017

ect, just try to be open minded
>>
File: rich.jpg (515 KB, 1200x808) Image search: [Google]
rich.jpg
515 KB, 1200x808
>>47600103
S/he doesn't even have to be especially noble, just not be "EBUL 4 EBUL'S SAKE LOL111". Have it be interested in making its kingdom a trade juggernaut (best way to create wealth), everything fucking up trade routes or market synergy will get clamped down hard upon. Sharia sentences for theft and if you piss off the merchant barons you'll be a zombie within a week. People abiding the law have it pretty good though, but they also know not to rock the boat.
>>
>>47589323

Just call him Jesus
>>
>>47589457
like a lich that is AGGRESSIVELY kind.
>"Here, I made these cookies for you."
>"N-no thanks Mister."
>"Eat the cookies, Linda."
>"I don't want to eat the cookies."
>"EAT THE COOKIES."
>"I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE!"
>>
File: SMT-Daisoujou.jpg (34 KB, 467x547) Image search: [Google]
SMT-Daisoujou.jpg
34 KB, 467x547
>>47589379
So is that who this guy is based on?
>>
>>47604238
>a trade juggernaut (best way to create wealth)
that's not true tho
>>
>>47591402
The last time I saw this comic I could've slayed the lich.
Time flies
>>
>>47589323
>relatively peaceful being living in seclusion in a dark mire
>shouldn't be anyone around for dozens of miles, just the way he likes it
>people suddenly start showing up in the area, just wandering around
>more and more arrive
>eventually they start to infest the area directly around his house
>some of them even break in
>he becomes impatient, throws them out, comes out of his abode and sees the seemingly endless hoard of migrants
>he shouts "WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY SWAMP?"
>queue adventure with talking animal friend

boom million dollar idea
>>
>>47590198
Yay!

Drew!
>>
in my last campaign we came across a lich in a small room in a cathedral. he'd been there for centuries, studying shit. when we told him about our condition (see below), he was curious enough to want to keep us around and see how we would affect stuff. he was a helpful, nice old guy.

(we kept resurrecting after death and were psychicly connected to each other so whatever we knew as players all other players and their characters knew too. think like an mmorpg, except it had an in-campaign reason too. when we resurrected we resurrected on the day we died, but it was as if we hadn't been on that world before, so everytime we got party-wiped things got worse.)
>>
>>47604238
Replace lich with vampire and you've got a bbeg, my players made up way back when. I say made up, because he never picked a fight with them, nor did they even confirm the whole ancient vampire with a stranglehold over a grand duchy either.

Point is, you'd be surprised what you can do with power and 0 chances of a succession crisis.

>>47605177
It is if they control some bottleneck in an important trade route and can demand as much tax as they desire from their mercantile (enthralled or otherwise controlled, duh) population.
>>
>>47589323

nice hat and dress.
>>
>>47606232
>could have slayed
Slain. It's "could've slain."
>>
>>47594577
mein nigger
>>
>>47591637
>possess his own body
>still bears his scars
>phenomenal cosmic power

he's the stereotypical arch-lich
>>
>>47589323

have him fight something even more evil
>>
>>47597422
>the fucking psychotic Sorceress
There actually was a deleted cutscene that somewhat redeemed Qara. It showed that she really does have a ridiculous amount of power that she manages to keep in check, which makes her boasting and annoyance at being lectured more understandable. It also showed Sand in a slightly more sinister and sleazy light (which makes sense, considering he's ex-Hosttower), which makes her hostility towards him more justified.

It's a shame it got cut, 'cause yeah, without it she really does come off as almost CE.
>>
>>47592046
stealing
>>
>>47589911
S/he's found a loophole or key to necromancy that doesn't pain the spirits who inhabit their bodies. Some may be refugees from an afterlife of suffering who want a chance at redemption that the lich has afforded them post-mortem.

>>47590055
This is fucking great. S/he sacrificed her/his mortality & humanity, maybe the love of family & friends, to protect the realms from an illimitable holocause of abject horrors just beyond the gate.

Generally making lichdom be an awful, self-sacrificial price s/he had to pay for a greater good.
>>
>>47599300
Why is the natural order a good thing though? We humans defy it constantly for better lives. Especially in a setting where the afterlife is 'you lose all memories and we slowly transform you into a mindless angel to serve our whims' like even the good afterlives in Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>47589323
Baelnorn
>>
File: Martyr Logarius.png (526 KB, 532x572) Image search: [Google]
Martyr Logarius.png
526 KB, 532x572
>>47590055
>>
>>47589716
>Liches are almost always evil

Nope. Always.
>>
>>47589892
>Unless liching explicitly requires one to be bad guy

It does.
>>
>>47608667

>All systems are D&D
>>
>>47608682
>I'm 14 and know all about liches from my J-RPGs.
>>
Lich sacrificed his soul, his alignment, his social connections to keed dying knowledge from leaving this plane of existence.
Yes, he become evil. He refused to stay good because his character is not important, keeping knowledge is.
>>
File: lichman 1.jpg (268 KB, 800x1232) Image search: [Google]
lichman 1.jpg
268 KB, 800x1232
>>47589323
give them a disarming name and a couple of friends.
>>
>>47599426
But it's wrong.

D&D has a lot of good and neutral liches.
>>
Last mage from a High Magick Circle goes lich because hi is last keeper of a spell that corrects orbit of a planet and dont let it fall to the sun.
Magick is forbidden and he cannot bestow his knowledge on someone else because he cant find any capable students.
Official propaganda sends wave after wave of heroes to his cave to finally kill him.
>>
>>47599903
>Saving the world from climate change
That could be seen as a negative by many groups especially druids
Youre literally going to have to hold nature in a status field to accomplish that
>>
>>47608920
And for the rest of the world it looks like this:
-Old dead man chants on the top of necrotic spire surrounded by undead and after all that all world becomes colder.
>>
>>47608667
>>47608707

>My opinion is canon.

No. Just fuck you, man. That you think all liches are and should be evil doesn't mean it should be that way.
>>
>>47599755
>this is a contradiction in both folklore and the majority of standard fantasy settings

Liches don't come from folklore, but almost purely from sword&fantasy books.
>>
>>47589323
make im the lesser of two evils
>>
>>47608911
>a lot
Really now?

Baelnorns are rare as fuck requiring both the consent of the candidate and a huge community ritual.

Dragon magazine (the first official source to mention non-evil Liches) stressed that although neutral Liches were possible they should be extremely rare to the point of being unheard of.

Eberron has the Undying but it gives very few shits about the alignment system, making it irrelevant.

And if you're going to drag 4e, the biggest departure from D&D fluff in the franchise, then you really have no leg to stand on.
>>
>>47609504
Person can be good while still have evil alignment.
>>
>>47609074
Really? Is that what you think?

>>47609011
"Imma turn myself into an immortal undead thing!" Totally sane and good.
>>
>>47609590
>Person can be good while still have evil alignment.

And people say 3.x doesn't cause brain damage.
>>
>>47609011
>When confronted with a conflicting viewpoint, the Millennial responds with a tantrum.

Go back to your Tumblr hugbox.
>>
File: 1460925159853.jpg (105 KB, 1024x663) Image search: [Google]
1460925159853.jpg
105 KB, 1024x663
>ALL THINGS DIE HERO! ONCE ALL ARE GONE; ONCE ALL IS RUIN! EVERY MAN, WOMAN AND CHILD DEAD! EVERY CITY DUST AND AIR! WHEN EVERY GOD HAS LOST THEIR NAME! THERE WILL STILL BE ME. I WILL BE ALL THAT REMAINS.
>DO NOT LOOK SO SHOCKED! I NEVER SAID THAT /I/ WISHED TO HARM A SOUL; ALL THINGS DIE, EXCEPT ME, ONLY I WILL BE LEFT...ALONE.
He looks upwards a moment.
>FOR AEONS I HAVE BEEN ALONE, PREPARING FOR THAT DAY; SO THAT WHEN ALL ARE GONE, I WILL ENDURE WITHOUT THE MADNESS OF LONELINESS...AND WHEN IT COMES. I WILL REMEMBER; I WILL REMEMBER EACH DEATH! EACH CITY! EACH SORROW! EACH MISTAKE! AND I WILL WAIT! I WILL STAND AND MAKE SURE THAT WHEN NEW LIFE COMES; IT WILL NOT MAKE THE MISTAKES THAT WE...THAT I, MADE.
>AND THE LAND WILL KNOW MY MAGIC. I WILL RETURN LIFE TO IT! I WILL CRAFT IT INTO A PARADISE, WHERE NONE WILL SUFFER, WHERE THE DEAD WILL RULE SOFTLY BY SERVING AND WHERE WHAT WE WERE IS REMEMBERED; WHERE LIFE HAS A VALUE. WE WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN; AND WHEN THE BODIES OF MAN RISE UP FROM THE GRAVES AND LEAD THE NEW PEOPLE, THEY WILL DO MORE THAN REMEMBER; THEY WILL NEVER FORGET, THAT WE CAME BEFORE! AND WE LIVED! LOVED! DIED! ALL TOO BRIEFLY! LIKE FIREFLIES IN THE DUSK LIGHT!
>WHEN ALL THINGS ARE DEAD; WILL IT MATTER IF AFTER THEY ARE GONE THE NEW WORLD BELONGS TO THE DEAD?
>>
Make them catacomb saints.
>>
>>47605174
Help, I'm having Matador flashbacks
>>
>>47605174
Maybe not that specific mummy, but that's the concept, yes.
>>
>>47606303
There we go!
>>
>>47600503
Nice actually. Shows that the guy isn't a monster and that sooner or later conscience will knock on the door.
>>
>>47609504
Archliches aren't evil.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Archlich

They gain their lichdom through a process that doesn't require living sacrifices but it is much harder to achieve compared to the evil way. Think of it like the magic users in the Dark sun setting. The evil wizards suck up power from the earth destroying the environment and levels up quicker, while the good wizard doesn't damage the earth but takes a lot longer to level up.
>>
http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/liche.html
>>
File: 1260137244527.jpg (253 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1260137244527.jpg
253 KB, 1280x1024
>>47608924
>>Saving the world from climate change

>That could be seen as a negative by many groups especially druids
>Youre literally going to have to hold nature in a status field to accomplish that

Wut? Avoiding mass extinction would be right at the top of most druid's checklists. Even the ones that worship change should know that the RATE of change is what's important and holy shit guys we've got to stop the fire demons from pumping out all those greenhouse gases from their evil volcano.

Also, wtf is a status field? Did you mean stasis?
>>
File: Oak_full.png (188 KB, 480x563) Image search: [Google]
Oak_full.png
188 KB, 480x563
Has anybody ever played the game Demigod? There was pic related, who is an ancient captain of the guard who stood in front of the city so long that he basically turned into a Thousand Sons Marine, as in, dust in his armor, but keeps defending the city and raising the spirits of dead warriors for help.
Don't know if that counts as lich-y, tho, as he didn't do any ritual for it, iirc.
>>
>>47589323
I want to bone her
>>
>>47591422
Holy shit, I would destroy her booty, Anon. She sounds way too fucken cute.
>>
>>47609504
Isnt the lich in princes of apocalypse for 5e a normal, neutral dude that ended up being a lich without looking specifically for it ?
>>
>>47589323
Have the litch's goals be good. Imagine if a litch woke up to find his country has turned to fascism. Oppression, mismanagement and government approved theft, purges of opponents amongst the population, etc etc. Has the adventurers stopped and dug beneath the surface of the country or kingdom they're in today? Or are they just out for the bounty the guy with the crown has posted on the guy who's out to get him? Given a litch's abilities he's going to be hard to stop. He might be trying to put the system right, like the Shadow, or be trying to bust up the parts of the system that're harming the people, doing it like Magneto.
"Great. We're here to kill zombie Captain America. Who do I talk to to bet against us?"
>>
>>47589323
Introduce something that's far worse than the Lich, that the Lich becomes a Lich to destroy/keep at bay.

It's debatable how "good" he has to be, to be considered a "good guy" but generally I think its a universal fact of life that if you kill someone, and this leaves the entire world worse for the wear and not because of their own doing, then that person was one of the "good guys".
>>
>>47589323
make him do good shit.
>>
>>47591422
Why is it important that she pays her taxes?
>>
>>47620571
So that we know that she's not an anarchist. Because anarchists are edgy.
>>
>>47589323
Baelnorn
>>
File: Baelnorn.jpg (104 KB, 400x548) Image search: [Google]
Baelnorn.jpg
104 KB, 400x548
>>47620728
Beat me to it. Of course they're fucking elves though as if those assholes didn't live long enough already.
>>
>>47609074
You're a tard, the word literally means corpse in half a dozen northern european languages.
>>
>>47620883
I am honestly surprised no one said it earlier.
>>
>>47589323
>that pic
I now need a Dia de los Muertos themed loch in a campaign which will never happen thanks OP
>>
>>47621033
In Pathfinder, their a monsters like that , so if you do play it, you can use it as an extra-planer creature.
>>
>>47613807
The armor in this image would look a lot better and feel somehow realer if the woman were simply bare chested. The nipple pasties change it from "bare-breasted warrior" to "warrior-themed stripper."
>>
>>47613907
Man that game was nice. And yeah, Oak counts perfectly.
>>
>>47599960
does each individual fairy have to alternate, or does there need to be an even number of fairies who each is doing one or the other in alternating order? getting this shit straight is important, because you do NOT want to fuck up a ritual like this.
>>
>>47589323
The twin skeleton sisters were cuter
>>
File: 1404271027369.jpg (135 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
1404271027369.jpg
135 KB, 469x463
>>47606272
>>
bimp
>>
>>47589323
Nazi Liches.
>>
>>47611587
This is great anon
>>
>>47589475
What? Wtf does this even mean? If you haven't learnt something yet, you're bad at it? Wtf, op is just asking for advice. It's edgy pieces of shit like you that ruin this board.
>>
>>47611587
Postapoc Millenial KIng?
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.