[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/epg/ - Eclipse Phase General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 72
File: Exsurgent.png (684 KB, 819x368) Image search: [Google]
Exsurgent.png
684 KB, 819x368
Async Bad Touch edition

OFFICIAL BOOKS
>Eclipse Phase PDFs
http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>Zone Stalkers
http://www.mediafire.com/view/d0hpgo776xpx50p/Eclipse_Phase_Zone_Stalkers.pdf
>Morph Recognition Guide
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4bjbba89kw8v0y/Eclipse_Phase_Morph_Recognition_Guide_%286098716%29.pdf
>Million Year Echo
http://www.mediafire.com/view/f53f1c5yq777tpk/Million_Year_Echo.pdf
>Firewall (Updated):
http://www.mediafire.com/view/9jg6q9d9kqa59qu/Eclipse_Phase_Firewall_(7029562).pdf
>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf

PLAY AIDS:
>10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>Advice for new players and GMs
http://pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>Online character creator
http://eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
https://sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet
>Package Character Creator
https://firewallagency.wordpress.com/

COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
http://awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Ander's Sandberg's Eclipse Phase fanmade content, including several modules
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>Farcast: An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>The Ultimate's Guide to Combat
http://eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf

/EPG/ HOMEBREW CONTENT
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

Previous Thread: >>47543310
>>
File: jovian movies.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1358) Image search: [Google]
jovian movies.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1358
>>
File: Faust 2.jpg (256 KB, 408x1254) Image search: [Google]
Faust 2.jpg
256 KB, 408x1254
>>47584887
>>
File: 1463608569282.png (598 KB, 1128x727) Image search: [Google]
1463608569282.png
598 KB, 1128x727
>>47584887
Do Firewalls ever get to retire? What's their pension plan like?
>>
>>47586977
Sentinels don't retire. They just send a mindwiped fork to live their civilian lives.
>>
>>47586977
Depends on the GM, how much the sentinel knows, and how valuable they are to the organization. They basically never get paid retirement (since they're not paid in the first place), but might be let go with only minor psychosurgery to protect Firewall's secrets.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 636x485) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 636x485
>>47586977
laughing_OZMA_agents.picrelated
>>
>>47586977
There is a snippet about that in one of the books. Lets leave it on that when they retire they accept their minds to be edited.
>>
Does anyone play as OZMA agents?
>>
>>47586977
Makes me wonder what retirement in Eclipse Phase is like at all, if it's even a thing in most places. You're physically capable of working for as long as you can, sleeving into a new body as and when your old one wears out, unless you're in an area that restricts access to resleeving. Presumably in places like the Republic, where resleeving isn't such a prevalent thing, there's going to be a population of older people in older bodies, that you wouldn't necessarily find in mainstream societies elsewhere.

Could make for an interesting character concept; somebody who has defected from the Republic (though, obviously, you'd have to justify how they did it) when faced with old age in a body that's slowly falling apart.
>>
we should roll a firewall server
>>
>>47590492
In hypercorp economies, retirement means "I have enough money that I can live off the interest on my bank account" - though of course, you can always unretire.

Non-capitalist economies don't have jobs in the first place; retirement basically means that the community acknowledges that you've done enough to not need to be on the roster for community tasks. If you want to lean on your rep, though, people will probably ask that you contribute.
>>
>>47590594
Is there a server creation chart somewhere?
>>
>>47586977
Why would you retire? It's not like you age.
>>
>>47590852
Yes, it's in the epg homebrew content link in the OP
>>
File: Em.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Em.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Haven't checked out /epg/ in a while, here's a character questionnaire I wrote a while ago. It would be cool if someone could add it to the relevant google doc.
>>
>>47591493
> about 10 when the fall happened.
>I was actually one of the first humans to actually be born rimwards.

Aren't those mutually exclusive?
>>
File: jovian dreadnauts.jpg (132 KB, 800x999) Image search: [Google]
jovian dreadnauts.jpg
132 KB, 800x999
>>47591666
depends on the definition of rimward you use, but jovian orbit may mean you're correct
>>
File: ultimate 2.jpg (152 KB, 1032x1600) Image search: [Google]
ultimate 2.jpg
152 KB, 1032x1600
So what's the real difference between an exhuman and an optimization focused transhuman? Does it just come down to attitude at that point? Likewise, if an Ultimate stops caring about the human form are they just an exhuman?
>>
>>47591818
Titan had a major post-colonization migration wave prior to the fall, which suggests that people had been living there for at least a few decades prior.
>>
>tfw you love the Fate hack but Eclipse Phase fans all love crunchy rules and sweet, sweet gear tables
>>
>>47590492
I'm going to call it "otium". You take time off from working for however long you can afford to do so, then get back into things, whether it's in the same position or in another field entirely. If you work on other qualifications during your otium, you can even move up.
>>
>>47592286
Wouldn't it be a much better idea to just drop down to part time work so you remain qualified for the position?
>>
>>47591859

Exhuman can be lateral, not just forward. You might decide for your particular idiom being a Xenomorph is superior to being a normal human, so you give yourself acid blood or that weird mouth-in-mouth thing, or something else crazy. Exhumanism is about discarding or working around "human" elements to adapt to your environment - which can just be all reality if that's your style.

Also, because not all exhumans think about what they're doing before they decide to try it, they're usually a big bonkers trying to fine tune their brains and bodies to the extreme.
>>
>>47592329
Because that's not really equivalent to retirement.
>>
>>47592451
So fucking what? Do you want to be doing unpaid internships when you go back to work?
>>
>>47586977
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
>>
>>47591859
Exhumans are transhumana who don't play nice with others. It's a political designation more than a scientific one.
>>
>>47592640
The ones who are taking large amounts of time off have the means to do so and have enough experience that it's not a problem.
>>
>>47593489
>The ones who are taking large amounts of time off
Who?

>enough experience that it's not a problem.
Hire me Boeing, I'm an expert aerospace engineer from the 1970s
>>
File: argonaut.jpg (290 KB, 1200x569) Image search: [Google]
argonaut.jpg
290 KB, 1200x569
>>47593651
>Hire me Boeing, I'm an expert aerospace engineer from the 1970s
And I've been building and fine tuning esoteric, custom, super efficient engines for the past forty years.
>>
>>47593651
I'm still on /epg/, right? How could someone miss the point so badly?
>>
Any word on new books?
>>
>>47594010
The short fiction just came out for purchase, so soon.
>>
>>47594037

I just want X-Risks already.
>>
>>47593940
So apparently I decided to retire by starting my own business and not getting paid for it?

>>47593981
If your point was that only the rich can retire, then you never actually said that. If not, you still didn't make your point.
>>
>>47594137
>So apparently I decided to retire by starting my own business and not getting paid for it?
>>47594137
Post-scarcity society? Oh, sorry, you preffer the cozy life of corporativism.
>>
>>47594173
Rep is a form of payment. The point is that in that scenario the guy didn't stop working.
>>
Can a Seed AI meditate?
>>
>>47591666

My reading of the epg backstory was that there were humans living in the far out bits of the galaxy before the fall but there were not many. With those that were out beyond mars mostly being small stations of scientists or prospectors for water/minerals for mars. With the fall there was then a huge influx of people that perviously would have had no reason or even the economic means to ever venture that far out.

The character i described there is probably still a bit of a stretch on the epg timeline but I wanted to try and imagine what someone that had only grown up in an anarchist hab would be like. Mostly because people kept throwing around the anarcho-kiddie meme and it got me imagining about what a real anarchist kid would do with their life.
>>
>>47596285

Probably, but it would be so very very different from what we think of as meditation.

Maybe something like trying to reduce their cpu usage, cutting down on every unnecessary sub process to make their mind 'blank', maybe even starting to 'lose' themselves in the mediation by shutting down core personality functions.
>>
>>47596390
Read Rimward
>Prior to the Fall, Earth’s northernmost nations, with the conspicuous exception of Russia, bought in heavily to transhumanism. Climate change on Earth had disrupted ocean currents that once kept northern Europe warm and livable. The populations of Scandinavia, Canada, and other northern countries had huddled into overcrowded, frozen conurbations, and now they left them in a mass migration for Titan.
>>
>>47596529
I think we need a real climatologist. I just remember the stuff about Earth's state being complete bullshit.
>>
>>47596599
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation
>>
>>47596721
I meant deserts where there shouldn't be deserts, but
>The most recent data from NASA suggests that the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation has not slowed down, but may have actually sped up slightly in the recent past.
kek
>>
>>47596757
Wasn't a lot of the weird stuff due to TITAN activity?

And the citation supporting that particular AMOC claim leaves a ton to be desired.
>>
>>47596917
DESU, I skipped most of it because I thought that most of the pre-Fall history stuff was complete bullshit.
>>
>>47596959
>DESU
If you're going to weeb, at least do it properly
>>
>>47597119
>he doesn't know about the word filters
>>
>>47597119

Try abbreviating Tango Bravo Hotel, Foxtrot Alpha Mike.

desu senpai
>>
File: 1458744367-20160323after.png (35 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1458744367-20160323after.png
35 KB, 360x360
>>47592036
>tfw you'd love a rules light version of EP but FATE has just as much needless complexity in its own asinine way
>>
>>47591493
>It would be cool if someone could add it to the relevant google doc.
The doc is publicly editable, there's nothing stopping you from doing it yourself

>>47591859
>So what's the real difference between an exhuman and an optimization focused transhuman?
There isn't one

>Likewise, if an Ultimate stops caring about the human form are they just an exhuman?
They are regardless of what they care about
>>
Would it be too much to have a secret raptorbot waifu back home?
>>
>>47598070
>>
>>47598043
No, ultimates are not exhumans. They're the luddites of tomorrow.
>>
>>47592036
>>47597915

Got an alternative rules-light system that can actually manage the transhuman future?
>>
>>47599702
The rules-heavy version can barely do it
>>
>>47599765
That's more because it has a bunch of barely-relevant crunch and specializations on top of piles of kludges because flat probabilities suck at vaguely stimulationist play.
>>
File: 6eQSy.gif (30 KB, 125x175) Image search: [Google]
6eQSy.gif
30 KB, 125x175
>>47599832
>flat probabilities suck at vaguely stimulationist play.

Jesus Christ, here we go again
>>
How is tourism viewed?
>>
>>47600743

In many locales, it is a viable and often successful industry. Egocasting makes space tourism relatively easy, just rent a body for your stay.
>>
File: messinachasm.png (3 MB, 842x2243) Image search: [Google]
messinachasm.png
3 MB, 842x2243
>>
>>47599842
I apologize for nothink.

>>47600743
As with most things in EP, depends strongly on the habitat. The Jovian Republic and many Brinkers are going to be basically 'no go' as far as tourism. Anarchists, are hit or miss - they don't mind you showing up, but it's easy to be politely (but firmly) shown the door if they don't like you for some reason (including 'you make an ass of yourself'). The corps love tourists, as long as you can pay, and there are plenty of spots that sell themselves as tourist attractions.
>>
File: ptera-tronic synth.jpg (101 KB, 1200x706) Image search: [Google]
ptera-tronic synth.jpg
101 KB, 1200x706
>>47598070
I forced my Neo-corvid indenture to become a robot peterdactyl
>>
File: Armory.png (1 MB, 1195x755) Image search: [Google]
Armory.png
1 MB, 1195x755
You've just been transferred or moved operations to an unfamiliar city in the inner system, and you need to gear up. What's your character's go-to solution for armament and tech?
>>
File: venusgliders.png (1 MB, 1226x792) Image search: [Google]
venusgliders.png
1 MB, 1226x792
>>
How do you guys run (or play in) EP campaigns? Are they generally episodic, where each session or every few sessions the team gets a new mission and they're not related? Or do you have an overarching plot?
>>
Let's assume a big Martian city-state has an anarchist terrorist cell, and they are competent and professional. What would they want and what would they do to get this this?
>>
>>47603164
Who fucking cares? There's always a solution.

That said, I spend f-rep for intel, a-rep for gear, and g-rep for extraction.

Unless it's a merc job, then I burn rep with the client for all of that, and fall back on a-rep and g-rep if the client comes up short.
>>
>>47604558
>What would they want?
Depends how ambitious they are. It could range from "dismantle the state" to "get rid of one coercively hierarchical organization."

>what would they to do get this?
Look at historical anarchist activity, which includes:
>propaganda of the deed
They assassinate political figures to inspire the masses to rise up.
>blac bloc
If the group is large enough they all dress in black, walk down a street, and break shit.
>sabotage
Have them do physical damage to the infrastructure needed to maintain hierarchies.
>>
>>47603164
Blueprint Library for weapons and drones, mostly acquired through services rendered to anarchists. Enough hacking skills to produce the weapons in situ.
>>
>>47603164
Depends on what is allowed and what I have to do.

It's most likely second skin, smart skin, fireproofed armor clothing with refractive glazing and chameleon coating and a fireproofed armor vest with refractive glazing a total of 23/15 points of armor which looks just like normal clothing, only a bit shiny but who cares it's the future.

As of weapons, a knife and a medium pistol with infrared laser sight.

As of tech, specs, ecto, utilitool, some nanobandages. As of drugs, drive, klar, grin, MRDR and kick.

Morph doesn't really matter, but if it's a guard or guard deluxe, no drugs are needed and there's a repair spray instead of nanobandages.

That's pretty much it and should all be around [High], which I can afford at any time with credits or L4 favors.
>>
>>47598447
>>47602321
Cute
So that's a no, then?
>>
Why would one use flayer bullets instead of biter bullets? The price category is the same, but biter does way more damage.
>>
>>47602321
>pterodactyl with a crest and no tail
>bipedal stance
>no uropatagia
>brachiopatagia not connected to legs
>anisodactyly

I give this pterosaur a 2/10 - accidental bird
>>
>>47606522
Could be a dsungaripterus.
>>
>>47606625
The only complaint that would fix is the tail, and then the skull would be all wrong
>>
>>47599702
GURPS. To make it rules-lite, just don't roll for everything.
>>
File: Anurognathus.png (242 KB, 800x618) Image search: [Google]
Anurognathus.png
242 KB, 800x618
>>
>>47606730
But what about rolling for breathing? How can we play dnd without it?
>>
>>47604558
Anarchists can do damage, but on Mars they're pretty limited in what real permanent change they can accomplish. Professional anarchists are less likely to be making political or symbolic statements, and more likely to be supporting anarchists elsewhere in the system by gathering intelligence and sabotaging corp plans.

This means taking out (politically, assassinations do nothing in eclipse phase) any effective anti-anarchist personnel, stealing blueprints for any useful tech, infiltrating corporate networks, etc, and then sending the information back home. If they do any general shit-stirring or terrorist bombing at all, it's mostly as a distraction/irritant for strategic purposes, rather than anything like a real attempt at change.
>>
>>47603164
Stay beneath notice, note what everyone else is carrying, pick up what the locals throw away.
>>
>>47607811
>on Mars they're pretty limited in what real permanent change they can accomplish
Slightly redirect an incoming iceteroid
>>
>>47604558
>What would they want

You'd probably have some broad statements as goals - let's take "end hypercorporate control of Mars", but day-to-day operations would probably be a more pressing concern. Like most guerilla groups, a successful cell is going to have to make the local population like them more than they like the people they're opposing. So things like helping to smuggle out indentures, breaking DRM on fabbers, offering gene-hacking services to mitigate the problems of cheap biomorphs, providing resolution services to solve local disputes, etc. etc. are going to be the bread-and-butter stuff that the cell does. This sort of thing helps build up trust with the community, which is going to be valuable should the state come a-knocking, extends your network of contracts and helps to erode the hypercorporate lifestyle and way of thinking in the area.

There's always the option of bombing stuff, killing personnel and destroying infrastructure, but I'd like to imagine that a cell would generally be more interested in increasing the likelihood of mass social unrest and upheaval over direct, violent action. If what you want in your game is bomb-tossing anarchists shouting "viva la revolution!", there's space in the game for that sort of thing too though.
>>
>>47607916
It's probably worth distinguishing between full anarchists and barsoomian nationalists or other autonomists here, in terms of what their goals are. The latter are much more likely to work within and around the system, and focus on getting sympathetic people elected. Anarchists probably can't make much political headway.
>>
>>47607849
Stellificate Jupiter with some extreme pressure nukes.
>>
>>47608090
>Anarchists probably can't make much political headway.

Or any headway in any area, for that matter. Hence I believe there'd be quite a difference between what their stated aims are, and what their day-to-day operations are. The stuff they actually do is likely to help further their goals in the long run, and aid in their overall survival, but I'd personally portray them as doing the groundwork for setting up the systems that'll help spark the revolution, rather than them believing they're on the cusp of overthrowing the oligarchs. A Mars that's one-day-before-the-revolution would look quite a bit different to the Mars that's presented in the books.
>>
>>47608099
Iceteroids are already being tossed at Mars for terraforming, making it a pretty viable strategy
>>
File: martian-sexpot.jpg (678 KB, 630x993) Image search: [Google]
martian-sexpot.jpg
678 KB, 630x993
>>
>>47585508

You know, I'd like to imagine the Jovians would be all over some sick ass power armor to help them fight against people who sleeve into bodies capable of olympic/superhuman strength and endurance.
>>
>>47609083
This doesn't help you very much against people who have superhuman strength and endurance, and even more badass power armor (with 200% more nanomachines).
>>
>>47609274
Nanomachines only help with repair when it comes to power armor.
>>
>>47609274

Oh well, I imagine where it really matters the ones that have to take care of any real threats arn't bothered by the idea of sleeving into a body that can do the job anyways when push comes to shove.
>>
>>47609083
They're definitely all over that. Won't help much. The bigger problem is speed. When the other guy comes in with reflex boosters and level 2 neurachem, you're pretty boned.

>>47609299
>What's a medichine?
>>
>>47609455
reading comprehension, m8
>>
>>47606725
It doesn't have a skull, its a stylized robot
>>
>>47609274
If attacking the body doesn't work, what about attacking the soul?
>>
>>47609465
Are you suggesting that medichines are not, in fact, nanomachines? M8?
>>
File: Jovian marine in exoframe.jpg (253 KB, 1280x1811) Image search: [Google]
Jovian marine in exoframe.jpg
253 KB, 1280x1811
>>47609274
What jove really had going for it militarily is their fleet and position. The still fleshy military is better for morale and discipline within the population, its more of a lifestyle choice than it is a strategic one. Still, it will be useful, for whatever tiny value it is worth.
>>
File: jovian movies 2.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1358) Image search: [Google]
jovian movies 2.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1358
>>47609538
we at the spaceborne Anti-Vatican are working on the means to do just that. We know that if we make the superstitious of jupiter believe their souls are at risk from a ornate cole bubble in the belt filled with neo-octopi clergymen and sluty scum nuns the civilized system will have scored a massive victory.
>>
>>47609555
Are you suggesting that they do shit when it comes to power armor?
>>
File: Oh gosh!.jpg (22 KB, 210x229) Image search: [Google]
Oh gosh!.jpg
22 KB, 210x229
>>47609617

I love fucking everything about this picture. If I ever run an EP game this will be a thing in setting.

Speaking of which, how much media not made or produced in the Republic is filtered? Obviously there is a big block on various technologies but surly people can enjoy a PC made sitcom or something right?
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 367x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 367x576
>>47598921
Anyone not actively trying to perfect the human to Seed AI transition is a Luddite.
>>
>>47609617
I was thinking more along the lines of driving tranhumans insane with Hannibal Lecter esque speeches or implanted traumatic memories.

>>47609658
>how much media not made or produced in the Republic is filtered?
All of it. All of the Republic-produced media is filtered, too.
>>
>>47609653

>>47609299
>Nanomachines only help with repair when it comes to power armor.
>>
>>47609658
>how much media not made or produced in the Republic is filtered?
Depends on who owns your comms array
>>
>>47609691
Just broadcast video, audio, and XP of the Fall across all channels 24/7.

If that doesn't snap the Jovian's out of it, I don't know what would.
>>
>>47609691
>>47609726

Welp, I just found my new criminal enterprise.

>Have A rep with the 4chan scum swarms, work to smuggle 1 minute movies, Valis-New Shanghai Animes, and classic cartoons and TV shows from pre-fall Earth into the Republic.
>>
>>47609762
Except those are blocked, too. Everything is blocked thanks to the 5 censoring agencies having cockfights over what is and isn't allowed.
>>
>>47609658
>muh Space Best Korea
It's shit.
>>
How important is it to have opinions?
>>
>>47611626
Depends. Where are you and what is your social status?
>>
>>47611678
I am nowhere and I am a nobody.
>>
>>47611708
Then you have no need to ask.
>>
>>47611070

Something a "Transhuman" would say you fucking freak. Don't you think you have enough limbs to jerk off your twelve different genitals?
>>
File: Reclaimers.jpg (218 KB, 758x1103) Image search: [Google]
Reclaimers.jpg
218 KB, 758x1103
>>
Would someone who took the Infolife background and thus was an AGI need a muse?
>>
>>47613814

Yeah, there's nothing about being an AGI that means you don't need a Muse, they handle a lot of low-level mesh interactions so you don't constantly have to and so on.

Also, very hard to psychotherapy yourself.
>>
>>47613814
Need? No. Could they have one? Yes, definitely.
>>
>>47609770
Insert a greifer/courtier manufacturing platform into the Jovian well to troll the hardest
>>
File: GrieferMorph.png (444 KB, 581x1283) Image search: [Google]
GrieferMorph.png
444 KB, 581x1283
>>
>>47609455
Uh, Jovians use reflex boosters and neurachem. The stuff they're really careful about is nanotech and continuity loss. The basic "Jovian Soldier" profile from NPC File 1 has Reflex Boosters for example.
>>
>>47614043
No synthmorphs.
>>
>>47614807

Not that I don't agree with you, but I would point out the NPC File statline is for career soldiers who are combat veterans, often of the Fall.

Jove doesn't have the time or money to cram every 15 year old kid on his citizenship tour full of cyberware.

Though that has to be an anime somewhere.
>>
>>47614807
>continuity loss
This meme needs to end. People wake up from surgery all the time with no san check needed.
>>
>>47614951

Well, really, the Continuity check chart is a mix between large time disparity and "remembering dying". It concerns a mix of events which might cause SV damage due to continuity related problems. Surgery is usually less than a day, but to wake up and realized to missed a week of your life is probably freaky.

Especially since technically you didn't miss it, but that version of you isn't kicking around anymore.
>>
File: image.jpg (160 KB, 540x557) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160 KB, 540x557
>>47614872
I imagine there is a world of difference between Jovian teenagers serving their 4 years and dedicated career soldiers. I doubt the former are rarely, if ever, placed in harm's way.
>>
>>47609762

>implying people haven't already tried that already

Come on, think.
>>
>>47615039

Well, the conscription is a big part of military readiness in Jove, and nothing in the book actually says their tour of duty isn't a normal one. So if shit happens they're all right there. But at the same time, when you're not actually in direct wartime and you're a grunt fresh out of basic, what are you actually doing with your time? Because as evidenced by the NPC file there is a definite block of competent career soldiers to do the serious work while the pre-citizens stand around with assault rifles, look youthful and probably move heavy objects around. I think that section even says they'll give people who need it specialist training before assigning them to duty, so most of them left over are just FNGs or rookie soldiers.

Hopefully the Republic doesn't use their kids like XCOM rookies.
>>
File: synthmorph.jpg (108 KB, 800x950) Image search: [Google]
synthmorph.jpg
108 KB, 800x950
So what jobs in Eclipse Phase are not performed by automation or robotics? Why are transhuman egos preferred for said jobs? The books mention deep space mining, habitat construction, Mesh security (usually, not always) and terraforming, and /epg/ likes to frequently talk about prostitution. What else? Hard mode: reason cannot be "someone or some political entity is showing off that they have money/a lot of rep to be able to employ people like this"

Bonus question: If basic biomods are a thing, would that make people on average more lazy about their physical health? Pretty sure exercise helps mentally as well as physically, but if no one does it anymore, isn't that kind of a bad thing?
>>
If you die and are restacked or retrieved from a back up, do you consider the original dead and the next one an exact copy, or is it the same person?
>>
so I'm confused, if post-scarcity is a thing, and nanofabricators are a thing, why are markets and bazaars and storefronts still mentioned as existing in the setting, especially among the scum and the souks of Mars? I mean, I'd like for SOME stuff to be familiar to a human from the 21st century and have "normal" shit like actual, physical stores, and I don't want to baffle my potential players by going "you want to shop at a store? what are you some kinda stupid fucking Jovian luddite?", but this is one of those small details that confuses me
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 680x961) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 680x961
>>47615269
AIs have an active skill limit of 40 so any job that requires a high level of expertise will need to be done by actual transhuman egos.
>>
>>47615319
Post-scarcity isn't universal, and it's not a thing at the levels of commerce you see in the Inner System. Markets still exist where scarcity still exists.
>>
>>47615269

A transhuman will be preferred for jobs which an AI might accomplish for one of two or three reasons, at least the way ALI limitations and conditions are spread out.

If it's a situation where snap judgments, adaptation or improvisation might occur, you can't put an ALI in charge of it. They have coded limitations, represented by their physical incapability of defaulting. The moment you run into an issue outside it's codebase, the ALI is going to go "Whelp, can't do anything about that". Transhumans can coordinate AIs or substitute for AIs and have that ability to go "okay, not sure if this will work but I can try it".

Second, AI have hard caps on skills, 80 on Know ain't so bad, but the 40 on Active can hurt. They can get gear bonuses and all that same as everybody else, but especially when it comes to social skills an ALI will always lag behind a decently talented transhuman. In these cases, ALI make better support for a transhuman operator.

Third, in the Inner System or anywhere resembling Old or Transitional Economies, AIs are expensive. Like, a decent month's living expenses expensive for some of the decent shit. And they're IP owned by the company who makes them, so forking, copying or editing them without expensive licensing or permissions will get you in a heap of trouble. Conversely, contracting an indenture to shovel rocks on Mars is much less expensive for probably the same skill level, and depending on the terms of the contract, you can do whatever the fuck you like to the indenture.
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 736x1084) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 736x1084
>>47615317
Your consciousness doesn't transfer so it's an exact copy of you. The original is dead. Don't let any
>but what is consciousness?
>do we die every time we sleep?
philosophical masturbators convince you otherwise.
>>
>>47615319

EP isn't truly "post-scarcity" in that there are not scarce things, but, especially compared with today, most people don't need to worry about, say, availability of shit like clean air and water or food. Assuming you're not a complete hobo, you can exist just fine anywhere in EP.

Also, public nanofab is still "public", you have to leave your home to utilize it, so you're going to run into business who can fab on demand or already have premade objects ready to go, no waiting for the customer. In particularly, with things like Scum barges, there's a certain amount of barter and rarity going on. You can't fab a "real" Earth Artifact, and if Kris Engel Mindfuck is trading his primo special blend of drugs that only he makes for XPs, that's still an open trade.

Think of it this way. Performance wise, there's probably not much difference between one brand of tennis shoe or the other, right? But if you're the kind of guy who likes Nikes, and you have to go to the Nike store (or an affiliated fab shop) to get those shoes you'll go down and get that storefront action rather than download Johnny Open Source sneakers.
>>
>>47615419
Does the same apply for resleeving?
>>
>>47615419
Then why is everyone so cool with it?
>>
File: image.gif (226 KB, 335x716) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
226 KB, 335x716
>>47615733
If I recall correctly resleeving physically transfers brain neutrons gradually so it's possible consciousness is maintained. It's been awhile since I've read that section so I can't make a definitive statement.

>>47615837
>t. frankfreak scum
When something seems convenient and beneficial people will rationalize its use any way they can.
>>
>>47616111
>neutrons
neurons
>>
>>47615837
The ones who weren't didn't make it off Earth.
>>
>>47614807
Neurachem involves fundamentally altering brain chemistry, complete with in vivo genetic modification if the morph isn't design with it from the ground up.
>>
File: Exowalker 1.jpg (128 KB, 930x859) Image search: [Google]
Exowalker 1.jpg
128 KB, 930x859
>>
>>47615419
>Your consciousness doesn't transfer
These words don't even mean anything
>>
>>47617363
To you, perhaps.
>>
>>47617958
No, objectively. There is no method, not even a hypothetical one, by which one could actually check whether it's true or not. This is because the concepts involved are made-up nonsense holdovers from humanity's infancy.
>>
>>47615837
it's too convenient to think about
>>
File: EgoBridge.png (3 MB, 1706x1032) Image search: [Google]
EgoBridge.png
3 MB, 1706x1032
>>
File: 11-19-14.png (13 KB, 611x163) Image search: [Google]
11-19-14.png
13 KB, 611x163
>>
>>47617332
And reflex boosters rewire the whole nervous system with room temp superconductors. Neurachem is just super-adrenaline. Either way, the medicine of the setting can do it trivially.

>>47614951
Continuity loss as in things which make you roll continuity checks, and uploads/backups/infomorphs additionally in the case of things which the Jovians don't like.
>>
>>47620357
>Neurachem is just super-adrenaline
Not remotely plausible, nor is it what is stated in the books.
>>
>>47619340
>I held my hand to make it not be weird
>it was still weird
>>
>>47615269

I imagine with whatever modifications are in place you can basically eat what you want and never get fat. But exercise would still be a thing because those sorts of mods probably don't come cheap and exercise is more then just keeping your body in shape. For example, just because you're rocking a awesome body doesn't automatically make you an expert martial artist or athlete. You'd still have to practice those things and that can't be done with just skill softs or pure virtual training.

Pondering this got me to thinking of an character who's a former MMA athlete who opened her own gym on Mars but advertises middle/upper class hypercorp types as a way to blow off stress after a long shift.
>>
>>47620890
Honestly I just don't bother trying to make anything involving the speed stat make sense in fiction, as it is really weird and doesn't really make sense.
>>
File: indian airlines spaceliner.jpg (215 KB, 1920x1081) Image search: [Google]
indian airlines spaceliner.jpg
215 KB, 1920x1081
>>
>>47622303
>Don't you want any control surfaces?
>Nah
>>
>>47622303
All that technology and they didn't even install a single toilet.
>>
>>47619340
>being in two bodies at once is less stressful than "suddenly" being in another body with a short amount of "continuity loss"
Bullshit.
>>
>>47623838
What about suddenly being without a body?
>>
>>47624301
In a software environment designed for that when you've done it before?
>>
>>47622529
they only shit in designated shitting airlocks
>>
>>47625308
When it's the first time out of my body and I've been murdered.
>>
File: SimulspaceError.png (3 MB, 1279x831) Image search: [Google]
SimulspaceError.png
3 MB, 1279x831
>>
What alternate places would you set the Kepler station in Continuity if it wasn't a one shot, but the prologue to a wider campaign? I considered either setting it somewhere in the Main Belt, or still having it be in its default location, but with the availability of an antimatter courier docked at the ejected communications module of the Kepler that the PCs can use, assuming they escape. That way they can escape with their bodies intact if need be.
>>
>>47627218
JUST
>>
>>47626259
What about all of the other situations in which you have to make continuity checks?
>>
>>47627378
Remind me where it is by default?
>>
>>47615733
Yes.
IIRC it was mentioned in the book that there's an option of "gradual" resleeving, where your "Ego map" is transferred into the new morph part by part. Basically cut and paste, so for an hour (if into/from biomorph transfer) or less you feel funny at two places at the same time.
I'd call bullshit on that one, as slicing off (metaphorically - though "rerouting neurons" or whatever is in effect the same thing) a part of one's brain/cyberbrain/code-whatever while simultaneously running it will just maim or kill one's mind.
The norm is "shutting you down" for a time, making a copy of your Ego (the Ego Map), then transferring said info into a sleeve brain/cyberbrain. And then deleting the original Ego by wiping his sleeve's brain. And then deleting the (unconscious - should be just "dead data") ego map stored in the ego bridge or stack or whatever.

Now ignore last two steps and all kinds of hilarity ensues with multiple Johnny Johnsonses indistinguishable from one another running around, with only one of them being legit JJ. At least for a week after which all of them accumulate enough unique experience to have their Egos become incompatible.
It's a staple for all kind of soultrafficking/forknapping/postfucking_up genre stories.
>>
>>47627407

Kuiper Belt, 40 AU from the sun.
>>
>>47627588

I think there's a reintegration chart in Transhuman which says the difficulty for integrating forks up to like, 6 months, but it's almost always never worth it because the fork's memories almost always undergo corruption vs the integrating ego. And the SV costs are nuts.

As for the Ego Bridge, it's important to point out it doesn't just store ego prints, it's capable of emulating them to. The "conscious" resleeve basically involves distributing your ego through the emulator first.
>>
>>47627588
>I'd call bullshit on that one, as slicing off (metaphorically - though "rerouting neurons" or whatever is in effect the same thing) a part of one's brain/cyberbrain/code-whatever while simultaneously running it will just maim or kill one's mind.
Thie idea is that you're leaving the original in place while slowly replacing its inputs with those of the new morph. Simultaneously, the copied sections in the new morph are slaved to the original's mental processes.

Ought to work in principle, but this seems way harder than a simple rewrite.
>>
>>47627389
There would some scenarios less stressful than the two bodies at once situation, just as there are more stressful scenarios.
Besides, all are equally stressful when the dice always roll a 99.
>>
>>47626259
Alienation is high for first-time infomorphs. If you remember being murdered, that's stressful. If you're from a recent backup, you should be prepared to hear that something bad happened. A longer gap is stressful because you have to catch up and shit like that. If you could take a cortical stack and delete the death memory and add in an out-of-body experience in which the death is explained, it would probably be best, but that would take some psychosurgery.
>>
>>47627752
>>47627774
It looks immensely harder due to light-speed lag and more mundane phenomena slowing down information exchange. Basically impossible to seamlessly synchronize everywhere further than 1 light second or not connected via hardware like optic cable.
Judging by myself though. If some guys are OK with experiencing "some other" place and body with a lag of 500ms "on the other end", then good for them, personally I'd be freaked out way more I'm pissed off by similar lag in vidya.

Even then it's a lame crutch for feeling OK while knowing that "real you" just died/had his brains wiped "back there". An ego "feeling" input from both ends is still emulated in the bridge/run in "old" sleeve and is still wiped, otherwise it would be alpha forking (same thing, but making an alpha fork after wiping off the original is somehow legal in 80% of populated spaces).
>>
>>47628034
>I'm pissed off by similar lag in vidya.
This is lag in parts of your brain talking to each other. That goes beyond simple input lag.
>>
>>47628034
Oh yeah, can't be done at distance
>>
>>47628034

I think the distance you can do the "sleeve with continuity" is way shorter than one light second anyway. I'll check the exact distance, but I think it's so short you could only do it on an planetary sleeve or otherwise immediately local, and the system just doesn't work if you need to Egocast a distance between planetary bodies.

Long-rang egocasting has it's own kind of "lag" anyway, with the rough abstraction of a complete egocast transmission taking about 10x as long as just a regular data transmission.
>>
>>47628186
Mesh distance maxes out at like 50,000 km, so the resleeve limit is probably similar.
>>
>>47626259
It you've ever respawned in a videogame, it's pretty much that. Nothing to stress over really.
>>
>>47628224
Wouldn't actually feeling death, rather than seeing the puppet you control die, make a pretty big difference?
>>
Not sure if it's explicitly called out in a sourcebook...

But when doing any sort of mental/organizational work (scientific, planning, etc), why doesn't everyone just strap their infomorph into a 100x subjective time setup and get a year of work done in a realtime week?
>>
>>47629241
1. The cap is x60
2. That level of acceleration is very expensive and bandwidth-heavy, so only a small amount of people can get it.
3. People go nuts when in acceleration that long.
>>
>>47629241
>>47629330

Yeah, at that level, fork hives or multitasking is much more common.

It should be noted just being in an infomorph gives you more speed and means you don't need to sleep, so you already get more shit done than most people anyway. Combine with some forks working in parallel you get stuff decently done hopefully without a shitload of expense and the need for psych bills.
>>
>>47629185
I'd assume so, but I haven't died, so I can't really know how traumatic it is. Presumably being murdered would be really unpleasant.
>>
>>47628224
No.
Having a pod or any other sleeve killed while controlling it via puppet sock is alike to vidya respawn. And that is in case of remote control with very limited sensory input, not jamming with almost full input.

Not to mention, that in a vidya only a tool "dies". It doesn't even die properly, it's just a reset. A vidya character can take the most gruesome damage yet the player will barely feel anything except frustration.
Accidentally slicing your finger with a kitchen knife is a way more acute and terrifying feeling than being beaten to a pulp by a horde of monsters in a vidya.

Same with knowing that something very alike to yourself got killed or brainwiped some time ago.

>>47629241
They do. In case of indentured infomorphs, at least.
Those 1-3 km habitats for tens or hundreds of thousand of people controlled with most sophisticated technology don't just appear out of nowhere.
It takes 2 to 3 years to build a battleship or a navy carrier, and that's mostly the frame - time necessary to plan and produce all the equipment isn't counted there. Same big ass ships need thousands of people to operate properly, I'd imagine space habitats with controlled environment requiring even more people to operate properly - which doesn't happen most times, probably thanks to hundreds of dumbed down AIs running the machines and a dozen or two informorphs on speeds controlling said AIs and doing all the planning.
>>
>>47631203

A theoretical "100x" time dilation isn't the same as just an enhanced speed. Theoretically you are getting more done both ways, But using infomorphs already has a greater "speed" and can be coupled with specialized servers and software to make them more efficient.

Actually trying to run an operation in that high a time dilation is a terrible idea unless you can do it completely isolated, so much time is going to pass "inside" compared to outside whenever you need to check something not running at high speeds. This is a big part of why the Lost project became such a kerfuffle.
>>
>>47609617

I want that crab on my fucking payroll.
>>
>>47631921
But nothing besides details of implementation was fundamentally wrong with the Lost Gen plan, right? Besides getting better nannies and possibly a smaller batch size.

Unless the mental instability part of time dialation is inherent, and thus would just fuck up any child even if their parents and community were in there for a comparable amount of time.
>>
>>47632097

Well, Watts-MacLeod was leaked into the Futura genetics somewhere, so there was definitely some shadowy conspiracy involved there. But, on the other hand, Lost do get one "extra" mental disorder aside from the ones their Psi requires, so yeah they were definitely fucked up by other factors to.

I think the dilation mechanism is "inherent", at least as related to outside stimulus. Unless the whole conditioning and socializing apparatus operates at the same rate as the egos, the time delay in response related to outside is going to cause problems. Otherwise if you don't require any contact with the outside world you shouldn't fuck with anybody's time sense or experience problematic lag.
>>
File: EP-08-233-Lost-Massacre.jpg (72 KB, 571x336) Image search: [Google]
EP-08-233-Lost-Massacre.jpg
72 KB, 571x336
>>
File: Argonaut Psychosurgeon.png (427 KB, 448x1430) Image search: [Google]
Argonaut Psychosurgeon.png
427 KB, 448x1430
>>
File: ChessBoxing.png (3 MB, 1704x1006) Image search: [Google]
ChessBoxing.png
3 MB, 1704x1006
>>
File: Nanotechnology And You.jpg (265 KB, 970x1424) Image search: [Google]
Nanotechnology And You.jpg
265 KB, 970x1424
>>
File: Public Safety.jpg (288 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Public Safety.jpg
288 KB, 800x600
>>
File: 4chanScumSwarm.png (138 KB, 1236x1215) Image search: [Google]
4chanScumSwarm.png
138 KB, 1236x1215
>>
File: The Eye.png (2 MB, 1194x771) Image search: [Google]
The Eye.png
2 MB, 1194x771
>>
>tfw waiting to be resleeved
>>
Which is the lewdest morph, Pleasure Pods excepted?
>>
>>47643150
Obviously neotenic with no sex characteristics.
>>
File: neo-corvid docking operator.jpg (132 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
neo-corvid docking operator.jpg
132 KB, 1000x750
>>47643150
neo-bonobo
>>
File: Ediolons.jpg (905 KB, 1920x1920) Image search: [Google]
Ediolons.jpg
905 KB, 1920x1920
>>
File: case 2.jpg (332 KB, 1568x1920) Image search: [Google]
case 2.jpg
332 KB, 1568x1920
>>
File: boss and horsetron.jpg (652 KB, 1470x1900) Image search: [Google]
boss and horsetron.jpg
652 KB, 1470x1900
>>
>>
File: devon-fay-statue-001.jpg (676 KB, 1278x1926) Image search: [Google]
devon-fay-statue-001.jpg
676 KB, 1278x1926
>>
>>47643150
Bouncers, because they have twice as many hands to hold.
>>
File: neotechnic and synthtaur.jpg (597 KB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
neotechnic and synthtaur.jpg
597 KB, 1500x2000
>>47643150
the sculpted silicone coated synthtaur
>>
My players keep complaining that melee is worthless. Is it really so?
>>
>>47646745
It completely depends on the level of security.
>>
>>47645448

>spoiler

That is very lewd
>>
File: Laughing Barsoomian Girls.png (377 KB, 577x359) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Barsoomian Girls.png
377 KB, 577x359
>>
File: d17.jpg (250 KB, 1400x1012) Image search: [Google]
d17.jpg
250 KB, 1400x1012
>>
File: img-sb_cyberpunk_pub.jpg (599 KB, 1158x818) Image search: [Google]
img-sb_cyberpunk_pub.jpg
599 KB, 1158x818
Momentary rant: People need to stop evangelizing the Singularity and actually get off their asses and do something. Sick of the Singularity being treated like the fucking Rapture.
>>
>>47649564
It's not fucking Rapture. It's fucking Apocalypse. And it has already happened.
>>
>>47650079
I'm talking real world. Not EP. People are wanking the Singularity like it's a transhumanist suicide comet spaceship.
>>
>>47650112
This isn't the EP forums.
>>
>>47650112
Only idiots at this point. It's a dying idea, even in the kind of autistic internet forums where it was originally super popular. People stopped drinking the Kurzweil kool-aid and realized that it's not anywhere close to happening or is potentially just impossible.
>>
>>47650112
Well, real world tends to be either a hugbox for lazy fucks or a crab bucket, or both sometimes. There are very few people who do something. So, singularity won't happen. Either because no one does anything and/or everyone actively prevents everyone from doing anything.

Ignore this post, I'm drunk and bored.
>>
>>47650112
People hope they will become higher beings through magic, it's the new age of aquarius.

What they don't realize is that only the rich people would transcend, everybody else would just become even poorer.
>>
>>47650280
False. The Singularity is the great equalizer. It doesn't matter how much money you had before; afterward, everyone is equal.

"Dead or worse" is the ultimate expression of equality.
>>
>>47615837
The ones who aren't get marginalized and killed off pretty quickly. It's just such a huge advantage for populations to be okay with it that evolution favors those populations.
>>
>>47615419
For all purposes, it's as close as you can get.
>>
File: surveillance.png (2 MB, 1194x772) Image search: [Google]
surveillance.png
2 MB, 1194x772
>>
File: LLOTV 2.jpg (846 KB, 1920x804) Image search: [Google]
LLOTV 2.jpg
846 KB, 1920x804
>>
One thing that bugs me about Eclipse Phase is that, for a game about existential threats, it doesn't present game structures and tools to actually follow through on it.

Let's say the absolute worst case scenario happens in game. Someone (probably the PCs) fucks up badly enough that a seed AI gets loose, or there's a mass Exsurgent outbreak, or there's a astropolitical meltdown that causes Fall 2.0: You Could Have Prevented This Edition.

Now what?
>>
>>47655091
Erasure squad or antimatter bombs
>>
File: martian hussler.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1358) Image search: [Google]
martian hussler.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1358
>>47655091
start ramping up all threats to unreasonable levels and contrive some reason for the players, if not their characters, to keep coming back. You're right that the follow through on massive threats is on the GM, and those situations totally change the conditions under which a party has to operate. I suppose if you want to swing it you have to step up and plot it out.
>>
>>47655091

Well, usually that's an end-state, same as, for example, a lot of Call of Cthulhu scenarios/campaigns.

"Well, Azathoth got summoned for 5 seconds and the entire city has been reduced to a nuclear wasteland, gg."
>>
>>47655235
To late, pal. The virus is loose on the mesh. The seed AI has already figured out how to kill any resistance you might put up. War has broken out, and the WMDs are loose. Erasure squads and antimatter were the last option, and that's that.

>>47655247
I mean, yes, I could wing it. I'm a decent enough GM for that. But also I like to think about what I might do ahead of time.

>>47655318
That's closest to what I'm going for, but I'm not super familiar with CoC or Delta Green. How do they handle "the cultists succeed, it's all over but the dying", or the part before that (where the cultists might succeed, but the conclusion is not forgone).
>>
File: face by prada.jpg (200 KB, 905x606) Image search: [Google]
face by prada.jpg
200 KB, 905x606
this is surrealy tacky
>>
>>47655685

Check out Firewall, it discusses a lot of the organization's history and several of it's projects and operations, some of which are concerned with doomsday scenarios, it might give you an idea to at least outline to your players if they fuck things up beyond all recognition
>>
File: Destroyer 4.png (227 KB, 1024x334) Image search: [Google]
Destroyer 4.png
227 KB, 1024x334
>>
>>47639318

Now it gets me to thinking.

Reddit would probably be a super massive Simulspace where literally every subreddit would essentially be a building that grows in size based on it's topic and popularity so yo the major ones like News and worldnews (internsteller news?) would be massive and have the smaller semi relevant subreddits as speicific rooms within each building.
>>
It's been a while since the last book.
Are there more in the works?
>>
>>47659585
Theoretically, there's an x-risks book coming out...sometime.

>>47656627
One option might be to restore them from backup, decades or centuries down the line from one of Firewall's black sites. Still, past that point you're making it up as you go along.
>>
>>47655091
After fighting the good fight and losing, you wake up 1000 years later on an emergency backup Earth.
>>
>>47661056
You wake up and it was all a simulation. You're being sent for remedial training.
>>
>>47662240
Nah. Something like the end of the world is exactly where you don't pull the "it was a simulation" thing. There are places for it, but EP is so dense with possible mindfucks that more sleight of hand is needed for simulation shenanigans.

What you can do: have the players assemble for a mission, and do their backups as normal...except after the backup, they wake up thousands of years in the future. It's real, and now they have to figure out what to do with humanity after the end. Next session, they continue the mission, utterly unaware (in character) of future events...but they know that this mission could be the end. Or the next one. Or the next one...
>>
>>47662486
You literally scrap the setting because someone fucked up? That's a bit extreme.
>>
>>47663434
That's literally what Firewall was founded to fight. Existential threats are civilization-scale 'rocks fall, everyone dies'. Firewall exists to stop them, but Firewall is not perfect. Sooner or later, someone, somewhere, will fuck up.
>>
>>47663493
Sentinel groups are plan A. You're not even allowing for plan B to work?
>>
>>47663529

Waking up 1000 years in the future from a backup catalog IS plan B
>>
>>47663562
Sounds more like plan Z
>>
>>47663529
Sometimes plan B fails, too, and eventually plans C, D, and E, will misfire or not be in place to handle an important contingency.

The Backup Clique exists because they know that Firewall is fighting a losing battle with entropy. The idea that transhumanity is living on borrowed time is right there in the name - Eclipse Phase.
>>
>>47655091
If an event similar to the fall happened (IE, 95% of transhumanity wiped away) then there would still be like 25 million transhumans left, mostly around the outer system probably.

So there's your setting. Brinkers, Survivors, the remains of the Titanian Commonweath all struggling over the ruins of a whole star system. Kinda like The Road or Mad Max but with light seconds of distance. Everything inside the Main Belt is a horror show, but people still need to try to get that close for metals and such.

I agree though, I wish there was some more information on what the setting might become if you fail.
>>
>>47664866
>struggling over the ruins of a whole star system
Why? There's tons of room and everyone is equipped to access the resources. The only reason everyone is fighting over oil in Mad Max is that most of the infrastructure is gone. In EP though you can make your own infrastructure way faster than you can go somewhere else.
>>
>>47665346
With what he described things still sound fairly active and coherent on in postwar Jove and Saturn.
>>
>>47664866
Weird brinker colonies are a damn hard sell for x-threats, and surprisingly numerous. A game egocasting between a loose post-second fall brinker alliance to try to reunite into a viable fighting force to retake the system from aliens or exurgents would be pretty fun. It could also be a tedious nightmare of super tight security and dogmatic isolationist lunatics. Hell, the second fall doesn't even need to have happened, the blinkers just think it did.
>>
File: ASTURIAS BLACK FLAG.png (1 MB, 1192x727) Image search: [Google]
ASTURIAS BLACK FLAG.png
1 MB, 1192x727
>>
File: asturias.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
asturias.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>>47666542
Plan de contingencia de mis amores.
>>
>>47666542
Is there any reason for the name of that operation?
>>
>>47665346
I was thinking more the semi-nomadic part of mad max, like the character rather than the setting.

>>47666964
The Asturias flag was a flag used in the Reconquista of Spain, and bears the alpha and omega, representing Revelations 1:8

'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

It seems appropriate for the return of the TITANs. I'm not sure what the black part of it means, but the black standard of islam is a thing, which might factor into it.
>>
>>47667209
The black standard being the flag that the army which fights the Dajjal bears.
>>
>>47667209
I know that, I'm from Asturias. That's why I find it weird.

In Spain, Asturias has been seen historically as a poor region, full of ignorant miners and hot-blooded extreme left-winged socialists (not necessarily communists).

It may also be related to the fact it is a principality, and has some famous prizes, and sometimes to the beginnings of the Reconquista.

Still, a weird selection. And by the way, it is not any cross, the flag represents the Cross of Victory, a relic which supposedly don Pelayo was carried in the pseudo-legendary beginnings of the Reconquista.
>>
>>47666964
>>47667209
>>47667245

I'm going to guess it's a combination of such symbolism, and black flags are also typical symbolism in certain funerals.

T-Day/ASTURIAS BLACK FLAG is basically a "judgment day, shit's fucked, rip us" scenario, so a couple of such symbols is appropriate.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 72

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.