[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Julius Caesar learn about a portal leading to your setting, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 31
File: julius-caesar-costume.jpg (332 KB, 1750x2500) Image search: [Google]
julius-caesar-costume.jpg
332 KB, 1750x2500
Julius Caesar learn about a portal leading to your setting, and is ready to start a full planar invasion, mobilizing the entirety of the Roman Empire army for a total war.
What happens?
>>
>>47578135
>Sci-fi setting
Obliterated, probably a few captured and experimented on by the Forgemasters.
>Feudal Setting
He probably wins all the initial battles, the planet has decent enough technology but it really isn't united or populous enough to deal with the Roman Empire. That being said, he doesn't have the men to hold a world, not even close.
>>
>>47578135
Gets wished out of reality by his elvish counter part, who is also over 160 years old.

J/k, they do a gay orgy because elves and romans are both degenerates.
>>
>>47578185
>hat being said, he doesn't have the men to hold a world, not even close.
That's why the Roman Empire relied on finding local nobility willing to bend the knee, pay the taxes, embrace the roman culture, and enroll new fighters, and put them in charge of the new conquered area.
>>
>Eclipse Phase
The Rubicon basically no longer exists because Europe is mostly glacier now. I'd love to hear how Caesar plans to get off Earth and conquer the solar system, though.
>>
File: Joystealer1.jpg (37 KB, 400x543) Image search: [Google]
Joystealer1.jpg
37 KB, 400x543
>>47578135
His zeal and lust for power is gobbled up by joystealers who take it upon themselves to disrupt foreign powers by drinking the emotions of those who seek to invade. His army is unable to even touch the incorporeal fey, and they awaken a day later, unable to speak coherently, not a single hint of emotion, and are barely aware of where they are. They become jaded and uncaring, and no speech or rally cry can rouse them. Julius gives the fuck up, goes home, and the broken man is overthrown and the army gives no fucks as they are walked to the gallows by the new men in power.
>>
>>47578135
I'm sure he'll have fun with the Dragons and Golems
>>
File: 1462939120671.jpg (191 KB, 595x784) Image search: [Google]
1462939120671.jpg
191 KB, 595x784
>>47578135
He'd get blown the fuck out by magic.
>>
>>47578135
Which Caesar
Caesar the party monster who became pontifex maximus to pay off his debts?
Caesar the conqueror of gaul?
Caesar dictator for life?
Julius Caesar, Queen of Bythinia?
All of the above?
>>
File: SpearGuy.jpg (3 MB, 2480x3508) Image search: [Google]
SpearGuy.jpg
3 MB, 2480x3508
>>47578135
The local demigods tell him to get lost, or else.

The last guys who tried this sort of thing wound up extinct and they were a lot more dangerous than any human army.
>>
>>47578296
That actually never happens in the lore, reminder that Thay got their shit kicked in by a !not-mongol Horde whose highest level caster in PnP is a 10th level cleric.
>>
>>47578135
See Gate: And thus the jsdf fought there
>>
>>47578324
If it's the realms, the last guys who did it just ended up importing their pantheon and founding new countries.
>>
File: 1385804452139.gif (563 KB, 374x354) Image search: [Google]
1385804452139.gif
563 KB, 374x354
A) Be BTFO by guns

B) Be BTFO by crazy cannibals

C) The last of the humans bow before Ceaser and they merrily slaughter savages side-by-side.
>>
>>47578351
The who?
>>
File: roman 3-3.jpg (395 KB, 1828x2124) Image search: [Google]
roman 3-3.jpg
395 KB, 1828x2124
wether he wins or loses...
this needs a caption
>>
>>47578351
what?
>>
>>47578135
The setting I made or the one I'm playing? The first is medieval fantasy, the second is JoJo
>>
>>47578135
Julius Caesaer launches a grand invasion into the Other World. Initial success is had as it seems the armed forces of the local political groups are mostly depleted, and the nobility that can be reached are easily willing to bend the knee in return for protection. The culture seems remarkably similar, although metalurgical advances of this Other World is slightly advanced. Had everyone not been mostly dead from plague and war, perhaps the Empire could have been challenged?

The new lands allow the Roman Empire to import more grain, export more farmers and - in a genius bid - the disgruntled legionaires who had served under Caesar his in Gallic campaigns and during the Civil War can easily be re-settled in the vast interiors of a climate that's mostly like Italy. This curtails civic discontment, allows Caesaer to bribe the people with more free stuff (land and grain!) and hydras are probably one hell of a hit in the arena, those few who can be captured.
Having taken control over the Pytheria States, Caesar is declared Augustus twice-over. All is well. His meglomania increases.

He is assassinated.

The Roman Empire descends into chaos, but without the lynch-pin of the Egypt grain supply and the need to placate Cleopetra and Ptlomaemaic Egypt to ensure continued trade, Mark Antony can instead flee to Pytheria through the portal (which I imagine is easily defended once fortified).
eventually
It's an interdimensional roman civil war with the exhaused Pytherian city-states once again getting the short end of the stick.
Approximately 6 years after the Invasion, the Singing Plague returns. Romans from Earth do not have Herd Immunity, do have a high population density and aren't familiar with magic. Probably 70-80% mortality rate, both planes.

Let's call it a late game win for the Fallen Stars, but a good show on the Romans side.
>>
>>47578135
>What happens?

>Day one: This land is incredible, but confusing. A veritable army of small mechanical creatures toddles around our scouts, offering them dried and rotted food. At first we thought this a trick, but the creatures seem genuinely unable to understand that we do not wish to partake of their offerings. Still, they have been very helpful, able to work without pause setting up our camp.

>Day two: Some of the creatures have begun showing our scouts features of the local area. Many strange devices and machines have been discovered, although our hosts seem confused that we do not understand the devices' purposes, and believe that we are their creators. Their attempts to trick us into consuming their offal have become more devious.

>Day three: Several of our scouts have reported becoming ill, and their hair falls out as though they are old men. Our hosts are unable to explain the malaise, but have redoubled their efforts to goad us into eating what they claim is food.

>Day four: I awoke this morning to the taste of blood in my mouth, and discovered that several of my teeth had come out in the night. All my men are similarly afflicted. Fourteen have died from mysterious bleeding, and we are all very ill. Coming to this place was a mistake. Our hosts seem unwilling or unable to understand our concerns, despite the zeal with which they claim to desire becoming our servants.

>Day five: All my men are dead. This world is a poisoned heart, and we are poisoned for daring to trod upon it.
>>
>>47578135
>Fairie the Lost game
If the modern world of darkness, he gets fucked because of tech advantage.
If into the Fairie lands, he's more than fucked.
>Forgotten Realms
forgotten Realms
>5th ed game
kinda like >>47578185
Though it depends upon if he finds a useable bit of the Lost Age of Magic and what he does about it.
>>
>>47578135

He gets rekt and counterinvaded, entire Earth is then enslaved.
>>
Good luck, I'm behind 700,000 steppe nomads.
>>
File: 1464829709699.png (86 KB, 300x265) Image search: [Google]
1464829709699.png
86 KB, 300x265
>>47578807
Heeeey, nuclear apocalypse, all right!
>>
He stumbles into a universe where the Roman State has survived into the Pike and Shotte era.

Outside of Christianity, he probably rolls with it.
>>
File: 1462827384649.png (36 KB, 876x928) Image search: [Google]
1462827384649.png
36 KB, 876x928
>>47578996
>Caesar stumbles into a setting where the Roman State survived into the musket and early rifle era
>Napoleon and his armies stumble into this same setting
Place your bets.

Personally, my bet is on Napoleon acting like the massive Romaboo he is and teaming up with Caesar
>>
>>47578135
>Anima
He'll probably wreck some chaos for a while until someone of level 6 or above comes and slaughters his army.
If a particularly sadistic wizard is around somewhere and is aware of the invasion, he may redirect the portal to Moth and watch the unfolding horror.
>>
>>47578135
They get wiped out by swarms of random monsters just like the rest of humanity.
>>
>>47578135
Setting I'm working on:

Probably fucked because I based the empire in it a bit like the old Roman Empire, but into late Medieval technology and low level magic.

But it might be a good fight, as the empire just got wrecked pretty hard in an huge war 80 years back, and is big fragmented right now. If Caesar allied with one of the more rebellious Great Cities, he might be a deciding force in the war.
>>
>>47578996
>>47579111
>Caesar and Napoleon decide the want to team up and conquer the multiverese
>Team up with Alexander, Genghis, and Khalid al-Walid on their way

Can the greatest military minds in human history conquer the multiverse?
>>
File: metal_slug___firepower_by_av3r.jpg (171 KB, 1080x739) Image search: [Google]
metal_slug___firepower_by_av3r.jpg
171 KB, 1080x739
>>47578135
he sees this and then his army is just wiped out in one encounter.
then the party asks what the fuck was with the easy fight

if you're assuming without party intervention, the same but with less shenanigans and more professionalism.
>>
>>47578135
He and his army get sold stuff. Possibly "authenic" roman memorablia.
>>
>>47578324
Image source?
>>
>>47578135
Assuming they can find a few greedy mages or the like to support their cause, things probably go well. This would also mean more stability for Rome, as the Emperor could live in a world with a bunch of healing magic.
>>
File: roman cry for help.jpg (547 KB, 1828x2124) Image search: [Google]
roman cry for help.jpg
547 KB, 1828x2124
>>
File: dean33.jpg (17 KB, 432x326) Image search: [Google]
dean33.jpg
17 KB, 432x326
>>47579496
Dunno. Found it in a random google search months ago.
>>
>>47579334
>Can the greatest military minds in human history save their waifus from the clutches of the evil waifu hoarder?
FTFY
>>
>>47579496
>>47579949
Found a smaller, watermarked version through reverse image search.
http://hellcherr.deviantart.com/art/Dark-Crusader-Armor-462210344

Nothing in the resolution I posted, but the DevArt account seems legit; there are other posts with similar armor styles.
>>
>>47578135
"How convenient! The names of these places are in latin! Granted, it's a kind of bastard latin, and- wait... these people are Germans? Well, at least they don't style their hair with rancid butter."

The first skirmish would be a blood bath. Musketeers would set up a volley line and engage at 100 yards. The invasion would probably fall apart once the Grand Kingdom put together a full army with artillery and mounted support, and that's not taking magic and hero agents into account.
>>
File: clown suicide.gif (4 MB, 270x263) Image search: [Google]
clown suicide.gif
4 MB, 270x263
>>47579874
>Julian the Apostate could have not died so young with magic
>we live in a world without magic
>>
>>47578135
The portal opens near a city. The SWAT officers singlehandedly wipe out the mysteriously murderous people who are pouring out of the portal.
>>
File: 1462627117153.png (4 MB, 1778x2014) Image search: [Google]
1462627117153.png
4 MB, 1778x2014
>>47580056
>"How convenient! The names of these places are in latin! Granted, it's a kind of bastard latin, and- wait... these people are Germans?"
Oh Caesar, you and I are going to have a field trip with these "Romans"
>>
>>47578135
Does pretty well at first, conquer a few villages and towns. Wrecks the !not-Arabs (if he lands in the desert) and is allowed to live in peace. If he attacks a major civ, he gets BTFO by combined armies of !not-Kievan Rus, !not Wales, !not-Ameri-Rome, !not-England, !not-Germany, !not-Mongolia, and !not-Italy. The Inquisition and Magicians also help.
>>
>>47578135
This is stupid and the question is shit, but this gives me an idea. My D&D group will now soon be traveling to the elemental plane of Rome!
>>
>>47578135
They get a citation for unauthorized use of a dimensional portal. Their court date's in a week, and they face a hefty fine.
>>
>legion get's infected
>undead legion
>>
Depends which planet he lands on.
>>
>>47578135

>running an EP game
>portal opens up into post-fall Italy

Hoo boy. The first and most pressing dangers will be the nuclear winter, exposing the legions to freezing temperatures, a dearth of food and non-contaminated water, and high levels of ionizing radiation which will lead to radiation poisoning if they somehow manage to survive for longer than a month.

Which they won't, not in large numbers anyway, given that a single TITAN war machine could rip through the legionnaires by the thousands and leave the rest mortified that they are fighting a mechanical god. Rogue nanomachine clouds will strip a given element from anything it passes over - one century will flop to the ground as the calcium is harvested from their skeleton, another will shrivel into stacks of dried protein as all of their water is taken, etc.

If there are any that survive even that, they will be infected by the exsurgent virus and, for a time develop reality0bending powers before they metamorphosize into the chimeric echoes of long extinct and subsumed aliens.

Except for one runner.

He'll make it back through the portal, speaking of a hell of frost and steel and eating dust. They will close the portal for ever, and after this one messenger will drop an virus-laden tear into an aqueduct and doom humanity in that timeline.
>>
File: bd_dvd-hot_07.png (1 MB, 1033x1448) Image search: [Google]
bd_dvd-hot_07.png
1 MB, 1033x1448
>>47578135
>>
He and his army get flattened by orbital bombardment.
>>
>>47578135
Assuming the portal he found leads to the one city that remains intact (thus avoiding being ripped apart at the atomic level the instant he stepped through the portal)?

Well, since I assume his men don't have full body suits of any kind, after a few hours about 75% of his forces succumb to a strange sickness that leaves them convulsing on the ground for anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. Then 50% of those men die, 48% of them become near-mindless savages driven only by instinct, 1% of them become massive monstrosities that want to kill all living things, and the final 1% become immune to the sickness and find their capabilities and skills greatly enhanced.

Aside from all that, they find themselves in the twisted, jumbled remains of a city where all of this has already happened to most of the population (hundreds of thousands). The landscape is warped, nothing where it's supposed to be, and the layout of the city seems to change whenever you're not looking, making reliable navigation almost impossible. Hopefully a few of those who survived the sickness without being corrupted by it also survived the bloodbath afterward, since they're the only ones that can find their way. The technology is vaguely "early industrial", though with everything gone to shit there isn't much to be found that works.

Assuming the entire Roman army doesn't tear itself apart when it first succumbs to the sickness, the few that remain might eventually find the small enclave of survivors near the center of the city (I say might because, again, the city is hell to navigate), in a heavily fortified and decently stocked base. If they're smart, they'll join up in the interest of mutual survival. If they attack instead, they'll get mowed down by the enclave's firearms, wasting the majority of the enclave's stockpiled ammunition and making life a bit harder for the people that need that ammunition to protect themselves while scouring the city for supplies.
>>
>>47582017
>after a few hours about 75% of his forces succumb to a strange sickness

Just to be clear, the other 25% will still succumb to this sickness at some point, it will just take longer, as a small portion of the population seems to have some amount of resistance to it.
>>
>All these faggot teenagers going on about how badass their setting is
>>
>>47578135

They die to horrible magic they can't comprehend, and professional armies that use firearms and dinosaurs?
>>
>>47582056
>Being upset that some people play sci-fi or high magic fantasy games
>>
>>47578135
>Basically Wild Cards, on a custom not!Earth with some fun subtle magic thrown in for shits and gigs.
Honestly, putting the Legions against even a mundane Old West setting will fuck them over. Much less one with magic.
>>
Depending on the planet, technology ranges from none to early machine age. So he would either have a real easy time or get torn apart by artillery. If he adapts and manages to use both technology and magic he could probably start a decent empire.
>>
>>47578135
A big fat mistake on their part
>>
>>47578508
First panel
>I hate gauls

Second panel
>my grandfather hated them too

Or
For Jupiter's sake shut up

Gallia delenda est
>>
Whatever happens, we have got
The Kalashnikov, and they have not.
>>
>>47578135
>Sci-fi setting
They would be crushed under a single tank's treads
>Magical-modern-weird setting
A hail of gunfire and magical hailstorm later they are lost
>not!Viking setting
Finally an enemy worth fighting!
>Renaissance setting
Canons and alchemists' fire
>Gothic Horror Victorian setting
There's a guy who scorches any and all things within one mile radius of himself
>Swords and sorcery setting
Julius wins
>>
>>47582186
High magic, which you may as well throw in sci-fi in there too because it pretty much is, is a setting for idiots and simpletons. People that can't figure out how to make something creatively without shrugging and mumbling "magic did it".
>>
>>47578135

He'd ruin everything for everyone by breaking the already landed empire's focus from holding off the Rotwood infection that plagues the land, allowing said growth to fester and take over the plane.

GG Caesar.
>>
How large was the entirety of the roman army? Because the crab people in my setting are numerous at the time of my current campaign.
>>
Qwp
>>
Brutus stabs him, unfortunate timing for this portal i must say
>>
>>47579961
>evil waifu hoarder
Found my next BBEG
>>
>>47578135
the idles of march happens
>>
Depends on how old he is and how quickly he gets some magic going for him. Also where he comes out. Assuming he came out in a relatively isolated area and was able to get himself some wizards. I notice a lot of people bringing up magic, and i guess depending on setting it could make a pretty big difference, but realistically a few magic casters aren't worth that much. I mean i know that wizards and whatnot kill most fighting classes at high levels, but even then you throw enough dudes with swords and spears at them and they loose. Furthermore how many uberpowerful wizards are their really? They tend to be pretty uncommon. Weaker practicioneers wouldn't pose that much of a threat to a large organized army. It would probably come down to how strong the organized military of the setting is, and typically most settings have pretty disorganized and fragmented leadership, cause that makes it easier for the pc's to be special snowflakes and go around being heroes. I don't think he'd be able to do much more than take a foothold. I don't think he'd conquer the whole setting, but it could happen i suppose. Man will do anything to get his wheat.
>>
File: magic-school-bus-2-300x242.jpg (27 KB, 300x242) Image search: [Google]
magic-school-bus-2-300x242.jpg
27 KB, 300x242
>>47578135
https://youtu.be/xFxrzSrVv0I?t=168
>>
>>47578135
Depends on the time period of the setting. He'd lose if he came in at any time further along than 700 years into the setting since at that point there are two nations with more manpower and organization than Rome at its peak and half a dozen that are at least a difficult challenge.

If he showed up in the most recent setting a local garrison army of a backwater planetary capital area could wipe his forces with a few hundred tanks, mechs, fighters, a few odd star-ships, and several thousand augmented infantry. Even in melee combat Roman Legions can't face genetically-altered cybernetic troopers with powered armor and vibroblades.

If he showed up in the early days of the setting he could win though. The amount of mass chaos in the beginning of the setting is like the migration period but with three separate species all at once. Throw in a human invasion with actual organization and slightly better tech and the world is his for the taking. It would take decades, but if the entire empire was actually behind him with no traitors and the gift of absolute power he might make it happen.
>>
>>47584421

Jap attack choppers and Ride of the Valkyries. Fucktards sitting on their helmets. Putting random spears into a Ballista. Obligatory insane Loli battle bruiser. Obligatory retarded Genki girl with bullshit fighting skills in the military. Looks like shit.
>>
>>47578807
Engine hearts campaign?
>>
>>47584523
And this also assumes that nobody in the setting actually knows that the portal goes to earth. If they knew that he would lose horribly, because the setting is filled with creatures that used to live on earth but no longer do. If they found a portal on their planet going back they would immediately stop fighting each other and storm back in with a vengeance. When they finally do find earth in my current cannon the only thing that stops them from causing a terran bloodbath is the fact that most species have forgotten about their roots after three millennia away from home and only one species bears a grudge that long.
>>
>>47584551
It's a combination of Jap ultra nationalism and a harem show. That's about it.
>>
>>47583018

>I hate fun! Grrrr!
>>
>>47578135

> Champions setting
Little difficult. On one hand, a few capes or the USDMT could handle it. Portals to wherever aren't that rare (government has one). On the other hand, how long is tge portal open? How easily could a villian use it to go back to Rome? Would any Roman deaths cause time paradoxes? Would Ceasar's? Did this happen and the betrayal was some ancient Roman cover up? Was it a long con by not!Vandal Savage? Find out next week.

>Pokemon setting

The natives are strangers to war. The few with the capacity for lethal violence are villians. One villian sees the ultimate challange, the other a perfect oppertunity. Most people are boned. Wild Pokemon are dangerous, but it'd make sense if the Romans could train them too.
>>
>>47585114

>pokemon + romans

FUCKING CODEX ALERA
>>
>>47578135
GATE: Thus the Adepta Sororita fought there.
>>
>>47578135
My setting is an apocalyptic early middle ages nightmare world where all communication has broken down to city level and the largest governments are counties or baronies. The forests are infested with horrible abominations, raiders descend from the north as they have been evicted by said abominations and seek new lands, and nature itself is seeking the corruption/destruction of sentient life.

Poor Caesar.
>>
>>47578135
He teams up with the already existing Roman army which is fighting battalions of Cowboys.

Not even kidding.
>>
>>47578135

Gauls retake northern europe, persia invades southern empire.
>>
File: 1396430445648.jpg (459 KB, 634x872) Image search: [Google]
1396430445648.jpg
459 KB, 634x872
>>47578135
Most likely, they get eaten by grues.

Well, magical beasts, anyways, considering the flatlands are filled with the damn things and have an ecology that would make Deathworlders feel right at home before slaughtering them mercilessly.
>>
File: 1453737319387.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1453737319387.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>47580345
what.
>>
Depends on where they end up and who they fight.
Not-Japan would be difficult only because of their island nature and the large population of Dragons present. However, Rome could build enough ships and learn how to take down dragons easily enough.
The main continent has a large collection of small kingdoms and empires, any of which would be easy pickings on their own. However they all have an intricate and convoluted web of alliances, cease-fire pacts and personal ties that once you start a fight, slow the entire region will move against you.
Rome woukd face an endless tide of everything from aloof fae, greedy goblins, prideful humans to the most debased monsters, all set forth to defend their homelands and friends.
To the west are Drow, who are forever stuck in their personal disputes and civil wars. Again, though, any outsiders who would move against them and you'll see every house, every temple and every city band together as one, united and unbreakable force.
Once threats are gone though, straight back to back-stabbing, even as they make their way back to their own homes, they'll be raiding and raping all their neighbours on the way.
Further west still is unknown, dwarves and wild magic lay that way but if this would be easier or harder is unknown.

To the East, across the waters, is Caledonia, an enormous Empire who has claimed more then half the world by this point.
Caledonia though, is slow to react.
Should Rome be sucsessful in taking lots of cannons and procurring the rescipe to gun powder, they can easily build an kingdom for themselves before the Empress even hears of what has happened.
It'd be years before an army was raised to march against them. However small fleets and garrisons are scattered everywhere, so Rome is facing near constant small attacks and forts will grow around them like mushrooms, to keep them hemmed in.
Caledonia would win a drawn out conflict but may be willing to ignore a thorn should it be to difficult to pull out.
>>
>>47581946
gate is shit tho
>>
>>47587466
The ocean itself that lays between is full of scattered islands, atolls and more.
Any single community would be easy to shift or kill and Rome could have most the Ocean to themselves in just a few years.
The worse they would face are Pirates who could be hunted individually or even bought, the Caledonian navy who'll leave them alone as long as their tea, alcohol, gold and slave imports remain untouched and the occasional abyssian sea monster.

Finally to the south is the truely unknown.
No known map exists to that place, and the few who ever travel far enought and return are inconsistant, lava rain and volcanos spewing freezing mists, flying cities and vast, empty, fortresses of stone floating on the waters surface.
It is thought that this is where the gods dwell.
>>
>>47587473
Stop confusing opion with fact.
>>
>>47587572
>opion
opinion.
What the fuck autocorrect?
>>
>>47578135
There is a brief period of immense confusion, followed by a lot of Roman soldiers panicking because holy shit did they just invade Olympus and why is that guy throwing lightning at me?

Basically, the local Society garrison crushes the army with varying amounts of bloodshed depending on where they show up. The world on the far side of the portal falls shortly thereafter, once people are done debating the ethics of interdimensional imperialism.
>>
>>47587551
>The worse they would face are Pirates who could be hunted individually or even bought
Julius Caesar has some experience with pirates.

http://www.livius.org/sources/content/plutarch/plutarchs-caesar/caesar-and-the-pirates/

>[2.1] First, when the pirates demanded a ransom of twenty talents, Caesar burst out laughing. They did not know, he said, who it was that they had captured, and he volunteered to pay fifty.

>[2.2] Then, when he had sent his followers to the various cities in order to raise the money and was left with one friend and two servants among these Cilicians, about the most bloodthirsty people in the world, he treated them so highhandedly that, whenever he wanted to sleep, he would send to them and tell them to stop talking.

>[2.3] For thirty-eight days, with the greatest unconcern, he joined in all their games and exercises, just as if he was their leader instead of their prisoner.

>[2.4] He also wrote poems and speeches which he read aloud to them, and if they failed to admire his work, he would call them to their faces illiterate savages, and would often laughingly threaten to have them all hanged. They were much taken with this and attributed his freedom of speech to a kind of simplicity in his character or boyish playfulness.

>[2.5] However, the ransom arrived from Miletus and, as soon as he had paid it and been set free, he immediately manned some ships and set sail from the harbor of Miletus against the pirates. He found them still there, lying at anchor off the island, and he captured nearly all of them.
>>
>>47584636
Can't we just use nukes?
How about Nukes that are immune to magic?
>>
>[2.6] He took their property as spoils of war and put the men themselves into the prison at Pergamon. He then went in person to [Marcus] Junius, the governorof Asia, thinking it proper that he, as praetor in charge of the province, should see to the punishment of the prisoners.

>[2.7] Junius, however, cast longing eyes at the money, which came to a considerable sum, and kept saying that he needed time to look into the case.Caesar paid no further attention to him. He went to Pergamon, took the pirates out of prison and crucified the lot of them, just as he had often told them he would do when he was on the island and they imagined that he was joking.
>>
File: 1433639131642.png (41 KB, 299x289) Image search: [Google]
1433639131642.png
41 KB, 299x289
he'll have to deal with not one, not three, but two armies of tarrasque mechas

so i guess he's fucked
as is everyone
>>
>>47587727
>>47587738
Well, guess Rome now rules the Lapis Ocean then.
They wouldn't have much trouble once they got black powder production up and running and as long as they leave the Caledonian colonies alone, they pretty much have no opposition.
C'est la vie rich and and most culturally diverse region of the world, farewell Pacific Island-expies. You'll all be speaking Latin inside a generation.
>>
>KOTOR-era Star Wars
Bitch please, the Republic did it first and better.

>Cyberpunk set in the 2070s
The last moments of Caesar's army are that of terror as their formations are cut down by what they think of as automatic miniature pilum-throwers that tear through their armour like paper.
Anyone who somehow survives long enough to close in to hand to hand discovers mere human might is no match for cybernetic limbs holding monomolecular blades.
>>
>>47579334
>no clausewitz or sun tze
>>
Vampires. Vampires everywhere.

I want to see this undead Romebowl play out. It would be glorious.
>>
He probably conquers a country or ten, then settles down as the next twenty have all formed a mutual defense pact.
>>
>>47578135
>Julius Caesar
>empire
>>
>>47588517
god damn it Paradox
>>
He'll conquer most of the world, settle in Constantinople knock-off and spend the rest of his life sulking that Rome knock-off is overrun by zombies and poisonous plants.
>>
File: Internal Drama.jpg (402 KB, 837x818) Image search: [Google]
Internal Drama.jpg
402 KB, 837x818
>>47578135
Umm...

I honestly don't know what would happen as the campaign is, well, pic related.

Does Rome just start appearing in Australia 20 minutes into the future?
Are they microscopic, launching a full take over of poor little Teresa's body?
Do they need special equipment to survive this intimately familiar but alien environment?
There is so many questions about physics and biology that need answering before we can even address WHAT the Roman Empire would do.
Frankly I'm thinking the portal alters them and they become a new faction inside Teresa's body, alongside the anthropomorphic Immune System, the Scientists researching her insides, Space Aids and the dozen or so bacterial and viral cultures that have set up long term infections and the test-type biological and nano-tech medicines that were administered.

>Doctor, it's terrible.
>What is it?
>The results have come back for her blood and well, take a look.
*Horrified Gasp*
>Dear God! Rubella has started a senate.
>>
File: Claudius_crop.jpg (6 MB, 2340x3092) Image search: [Google]
Claudius_crop.jpg
6 MB, 2340x3092
Still ends up getting stabbed during his attempt to solidify his power.
Still the civil war of the triumvirate.
Augustus still too busy developing the empire.
Tiberius is unlikely to care about more places to conquer after his German experiences
Maybe Caligula is crazy enough to try something.
Claudius would still all be about recovery from the above two.
Nero was way to into his personal pleasures to care about that.
There was always loads of extra space full of ideas and materials the Romans didn't have all around them at all times, adding more of it wont change the fundamentals of the Empire.
>>
>>47578135
He gets stabbed to death by the liberators before he gets very far and that's it.
>>
>>47578846
>Though it depends upon if he finds a useable bit of the Lost Age of Magic and what he does about it.

Setting up bonfires and torching all the magicians, naturally. The one thing romans hate more than sciences was magic.
>>
>>47578135
>invasion of lvl 1 commoners into D&D

Wildlife gets fat for a while.
>>
File: ermor scouting party.jpg (381 KB, 1346x722) Image search: [Google]
ermor scouting party.jpg
381 KB, 1346x722
>>47578135
>Dominions 4 setting
They have the extreme misfortune to invade Ashen Empire territory and are swiftly added to the undead legions of Ermor.
>>
>>47578135
enchained lightning. thats what happens...

or in even shorter: wizards. wizards happen
>>
>>47578135
He's surprised when a veritable tide of Orcs charge out of the portal and invade the Roman Empire, separate Warbands engaging in gureilla tactics, looting and pillaging without compassion or interest in settlement.

Their ludicrous speed, resilience, strength, and cunning leaving the Romans woefull ill equipped for a war with such a ferocious, rampaging army of monsters.

Rome burns, the Empire is shattered, the natives of my plane seek to find a way to destroy this Portal to leave the Orcs trapped on another world, mopping up the remainder with firearms (and the Dragon-King's secret Half-Dragon Sorcerer army).
>>
>>47578135
Assuming my fantasy setting?

The legions *die*. My setting is late Renaissance/early Age of Exploration. There's guns, yo.
>>
Seeing as my current game is a low fantasy bronze age world, with the PCs as Phoenician traders, I think that the Romans would just roll over the entire setting.

Romans vs Sea People, GO.
>>
>>47588686
>roman legionaries
>lvl 1 commoners
KEK
E
K
>>
File: 1460157125230.jpg (41 KB, 424x636) Image search: [Google]
1460157125230.jpg
41 KB, 424x636
>>47578135
He gets crushed by the superheroes on the other side and his world is conquered in the name of FREEDOM! 'MUUURICA!
>>
>>47578135
They bro it up. My setting is based on the Roman empire, so they probably just help each other deal with shit. I mean, they would walk out and be greeted by guys with Latin names wearing Roman fashion, using Roman weapons etc. etc.

The entire point of the setting is to explore the conditions of the end of the Roman Republic. The dude would fit right in.
>>
File: do-show-.jpg (213 KB, 885x1080) Image search: [Google]
do-show-.jpg
213 KB, 885x1080
>>47578135
He enters Creation. He will probably be exalted in the next hour or so. He might make a long lasting Roman Country.
>>
>>47589522
Fine, level 5 Commoners with a bunch of Teamwork feats.
>>
>>47578135
>Currently playing fantasy STALKER

"Blowout soon Imperator."
>>
>>47589374
>He's surprised when a veritable tide of Orcs charge out of the portal and invade the Roman Empire, separate Warbands engaging in gureilla tactics, looting and pillaging without compassion or interest in settlement.
You write that like Romans didn't submit barbarians for breakfast and welcome them as part of the in the Roman Empire for lunch.
>>
>>47589948
Those barbarians considered guerilla warfare to be dishonorable, though.
>>
>>47578227
And it worked right up until those people figured they had more to gain by themselves than they did as a part of a decentralized and eventually horribly unstable empire, which is what the Roman Empire is about to be even if this is one of the times it is doing well because they're committing the ENTIRETY of the Roman Army instead of what the legions were typically committed to: keeping the empire from fucking imploding or being invaded by barbarians.

The entire Roman army then proceeds to fuck up a single kingdom before a crusade of some manner is called or the Roman logistics train breaks down as the homeland is plunged into Civil Revolt #XXVII because of the absence of the ENTIRETY OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE NOW ENGAGED IN TOTAL WAR.
>>
>>47589841

This is pretty much the best case scenario for him. Creation rewards heroism with some of the highest-level power available in the setting.

Despite it being a fantasy death world, it may be one of the most survivable worlds for a moral hero to get dropped in.
>>
File: 198765429.jpg (81 KB, 629x900) Image search: [Google]
198765429.jpg
81 KB, 629x900
>>47590023
Indeed, that's what I thought.

He would make a pretty powerful deathlord.
>>
Caligula crosses the portal ahead of his legions and attempts to have sex with absolutely everything.

He is later found dead in a barn having been fucked to death by like 20 elves and a donkey.

Some of the legionaries decide to be cool mercenary guys with pretty outdated tactics, but they're good heavy infantry so they get a lot of work.

The rest go back home because they realize that the empire is basically fucked if they spend their time in some weird magic world instead of at home preventing the fall of the Roman Empire from happening 400 years early.
>>
Y'know, I've seen variants on this thread a bunch of times, but I think this is the first time where the invading force would lose against most settings.
>>
>>47587572

No, GATE is in fact absolute garbage.

It's the most generic of all fantasy settings, and it's the most generic of all WESTERN-themed fantasy setting getting stomped by the absolutely incompetent JSDF that somehow manages to fend off the inquiries of not only the Super-Nations of the world that actually have experience being anything more than bait for China to do something stupid, but the entirety of the UN as well.
>>
Well... the multiracial Fantasy Roman Empire is just starting to enter the Pike and Shot era, and has magic and literal Divine Right. The Empress probably offers him a Ducal title if he'll take his troops and slice another chunk off the remnants of the Orc Empire in concert with the warden of the Eastern Marches.
>>
>>47584882

Jap ultra-nationalism is a joke on it's own.
>>
File: Blue Supergiant.jpg (525 KB, 1743x1080) Image search: [Google]
Blue Supergiant.jpg
525 KB, 1743x1080
>>47578135
Setting is on an Alderson disk around a Blue SuperGiant called Nuith.
Despite the massive economic growth and population explosion in the wake of the Glass Crown affair, this has been focused mainly on Underside so much of the property of Mirrorside remains unoccupied and unused.
The assuming the portal doesn't trigger any alarm or defence systems and opened far enough away from any occupied region, they would have a vast region rich in natural resources where they could remain hidden for decades, easily.

However, once found, any hostile attempt will be swiftly ended and they will be forced to submit to the rule of the Seventh Crown.
If the portal was found early on, they would be rounded up and forced to submit anyway before being handed a small parcel of land of their own.
Either way, the portal is getting a military base set up on both sides and the ancient world will be 'civilised'.
>>
>>47588534
Forgive op, this error had never killed somebody.
>>
>>47590170
>Butthurt Burger Detected
>>
>>47590170
And yet it got a novel series, manga series and two seasons of anime.

So no, your opinion is objectively wrong here.
>>
>>47589844
t. barbarian
you try fighting as a trained unit for 20 years, see if you're still a lvl 5 commoner and not a lvl shitton fighter
>>
File: Caesar_in_Gaul.jpg (435 KB, 1920x1131) Image search: [Google]
Caesar_in_Gaul.jpg
435 KB, 1920x1131
>>47578135

I don't understand.

Julius Caesar achieved everything he did IRL because he was very careful, diplomatic, and resourceful. He was never the type to declare "total war" on some strange empire he doesn't know anything about.

If Julius Caesar found some crazy fantasy world with dragons and wizards and shit he'd probably start out by learning everything he can about the land and its inhabitants. He'd be hiring local translators and scouts and interacting with everyone he could get in contact with. Upon realizing how dangerous the land is he'd be very cautious and thoughtful about the whole thing.

I think Caesar would do pretty good in a fantasy setting, assuming some freak accident or evil wizard didn't kill him off.
>>
>>47590568
You know how many seasons a series gets isn't a good measure of how good it is, right? There are plenty of shitty shows that have 10+ seasons and a bunch of really good shows that only got 2 or fewer.
>>
>>47584882
It's shit.
>>
>>47592587
You can't be that stupid, can you?
A show needs ratings, this is evidence that people watch the show.
Low ratings tend to get shows killed off.
To get multiple seasons you'll need consistantly high ratings.
That means you are consistantly getting lots of people to view your show.
That means people need to find something in or take something away from your show that has them come back to continue viewing it.
Which means that on some level, you show needs to be good.

Is this to difficult to understand?
>>
>>47593313
It's a fucking Harem show!

It's a show for moefags, hikkis, neets, and otaku.

OF COURSE IT GETS RATINGS YOU FUCK!
>>
>>47578135
depends on where they land.
>beastkin
they now have a whole lot of genetic material to play with once they take every piece of knowledge from the roman minds.
>elves
the romans get guerrilla warfared to death by a bunch of autistic knife people.
>the human orc alliance
they open up with diplomacy but if that fails they destroy by holy paladins who are like a mix of Halo Spartans and x-men and orc warriors who become like steel.
>>
>>47593313
>50 shades of gray is the best book ever!
>>
>>47578135
Defends on where they show up. But 99% of the time they get their asses obliterated by mechs. If it's on a station, by the security guards. If it's on a planet, probably by either the government or the guards.

It's a gundam inspired setting where mechs are errywere.
>>
>>47590170
I think I would enjoy it a lot... if not for the Japanese ultra-nationalism. As it is, I try and ignore all the political shit in favor of 'modern soldiers in fantasy land', which is pretty neat.
>>
Depends on what era he drops into, most equal utter defeat as most of the known world is already under the sway of a single Empire. Oddly enough, if he attempts to integrate himself into the political structure he could have a Consulate position over the Empire in a decade or less, especially with a loyal standing army willing to colonize one of the more wild territories.
>>
>>47590498
>>47590568
Weeaboos confirmed to have shit taste and confuse mass quantity with mass quality.

Wew lad. Gonna need to fire up the grill, we're cooking that Nips fish tonight.
>>
>>47578135
Depends on exactly when in the setting he arrives but if we suppose that he will appear at the height of the Holy Empire of the Tetrarchy he would likely win the majority if not all of his battles. He would probably be able to turn alot of the newly subjugated tribes and foreign foes over to his side as my empire isn't the most friendly of places for tribes considered to be barbaric. Local allies would potentially negate the superior man power numbers of the Tetrarchy. However I estimate that Caesar's supply lines would be stretched dangerously long, especially as the Tetrarchy would try to eradicate or collect for themselves any of the local resources availible. In the end I suppose that Caesar and the Tetrarchy would come to a ceasefire and negotiate a peace treaty in which a reasonble large piece of the Tetrarchy is ceded to the SPQR. This border would then in a short while become extremely militarised as the romans are seen as the new big threat. Probably as soon as Caesar leaves the conquered region and returns to Rome/earth a holy war/ reconquista will be called in which the Tetrarchy will launch a gigantic counter attack to reclaim the lost lands.
>>
>>47590597
They're NPCs dumbas and not particularly skilled ones either. An individual Legionnaire will die to a level 7 PC.
>>
Assuming he doesn't end up enslaved under the yoke of the Hinterlords or end up someplace like Zhar and die instantly, whatever local power he tries to invade will probably kick his shit in and use his soldiers as ablative armor. If he gets lucky Isha will take an interest in the Romans militarism and save him.
>>
>>47590568
So did SAO.
>>
File: 1420393501004.jpg (285 KB, 2109x1000) Image search: [Google]
1420393501004.jpg
285 KB, 2109x1000
>>47578135
They'll be glad to hear that something very close to Romans were already there, but advanced into the Late Medieval age.

Not sure he'd be able to conquer anything other than shitty Halfling lands though, or the oriental islands
>>
>>47578135
He gets BTFO by the big bad's army,or by the bigger bad,or the biggest bad (Yeah,kinda suffers from the dbz effect),or by our party being incredibly incompetent but somehow pulling victories out our asses because of the very lenient take on the already op classes(looking at you wizard)
>>
>>47597186
They're npcs fighting npcs, disparaging them means nothing until the pcs come bearing down.
>>
>>47578135
He is killed by masses of cannon and handgunners.
>>
>>47585377
Sounds like Gaul to me.
>>
All of the races that would give a fuck fight back and win because they have fucking magic.
>>
Depends on where the portal opens, none of the outcomes are good though. Least unpleasant would be getting run over by a mobile fortress or shot by golems. But if he's really unlucky his legion might step into the nest of a Labyrinth, which basically traps you in a vivid hallucination as it drains your soul away.
>>
>>47578135
The Roman Empire collapses due to a lack of troops needed to maintain borders, collect taxes, fight insurgencies, and maintain civil infrastructure. The invading armies are easilly killed off due to a complete and total lack of an effective supply line that prevents their aquisition and proper maintenance of standard equipment. Finaly, the Rome-hating impersonator of Julius Gaius Ceasar III, son of Julius Gaius Ceasar II, son of Julius Gaius Ceasar I is revealed by the monumental, and frankly incredible tactical and strategic blunders that lead to the instant and total annihallation of the Empire and her military institution.
>>
>>47578135
Most of the military goes missing, assumed EbGB: Eaten by Giant Bugs.

In both settings.
>>
File: 84633768.jpg (60 KB, 560x609) Image search: [Google]
84633768.jpg
60 KB, 560x609
>>47578135

Romans as some sort of Tsurani?

Then have them invade Midkemia at the same time as the Tsurani.

Three way war.

Romans crush everyone. If only through sheer numbers.

They might have some trouble with the random roaming wizards.

And a certain Valheru if they push too hard.
>>
>>47578135
Literally Furies of Calderon happens. Or a very close approximation.
>>
A Polish Cowgirl armed with a whip fights them to a standstill. Seriously, it's like Batman and Wonder woman had a kid.
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.