[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wild West
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17
File: Hell on Wheels.jpg (24 KB, 301x338) Image search: [Google]
Hell on Wheels.jpg
24 KB, 301x338
Sup /tg/

So I have been on a bit of a wild west kick lately, watching old westerns and Hell on Wheels and it got me thinking. In /tg/'s humble opinion what is the best system to run a wild west game in?
>>
GURPS
>>
>>47564207
Fuck you.

Savage Worlds: Deadlands.
>>
>>47564278
Fuck you
Gurps
>>
>>47564278
Fuck you.

F.A.T.A.L
>>
File: 1444565563820.jpg (15 KB, 250x150) Image search: [Google]
1444565563820.jpg
15 KB, 250x150
>>47564278
It's a legitimate answer.
>>
>>47564278

I prefer Deadlands classic, for a more realistic game. Savage Worlds is inherently pretty pulpy.

Aces and Eights is good, too.
>>
Fuck all of you. Aces and Eights.
>>
>>47564278
>>47564283
>>47564284
Ladies. Ladies, all your systems are pretty, cept you F.A.T.A.L., your a filthily filthily whore.
>>
>>47564278
What's with the goddamn belligerence? Fucker
>>
>>47564291

It's not impossible that the guy who said "GURPS" gave the subject careful consideration, weighed the various options, and came to the conclusion that GURPS was the appropriate system for the desired game.

However, it's far more likely that he answered "GURPS" because of the meme of saying "GURPS" whenever someone asks for a system. In which case, "fuck you" is an appropriate response.
>>
>>47564313
Can't have a western without a few whores mate.
>>
>>47564361
Yeah, but let's stay clear of Sandpaper Sally, ok?
>>
>>47564179

Whatever system you and your players are comfortable with. If that means Pathfinder, so be it.
>>
>>47564380
Warty Wanda is my most popular gal though. Sandpaper Sally is still better than Gummy Gertrude though.
>>
File: 1454237776146.png (62 KB, 318x186) Image search: [Google]
1454237776146.png
62 KB, 318x186
>>47564338
What's more likely is that GURPS is genuinely the most appropriate system to have fun with, and easily the most balanced and straightforward game too.
>>
>>47564426
said no one ever
>>
>>47564338
Well when I say it, that's how I generally feel. Gurps really is a pretty good choice for most if not all games.

It bears repeating and can be stated tersely.
>>
>>47564462
Not any of those anons but it is really a good system. You are complaining about memeing without considering the proper answer and I'm entirely sure you are memeing without having ever played it. There's things gurps isnt great about...I dont like the basic magic system and nor i like the auxiliary ones, but gunfights? sword fights? setting with guns AND sword?

GURPS is definetely a good choice. Western has guns, arrows, spears, horses, knife fights. GURPS does all that very well.

think before you type, senpai
>>
>>47564308
I've wanted to try this, but there's so little information out there about it.
>>
>>47564296
Nothing quite like playing poker with evil spirits to gain enough power to cast magic. Good luck with them red jokers.
>>
>>47564497
>Western has guns, arrows, spears, horses, knife fights
Man, mix in some undead, a werewolf or two, maybe a wendingo? That's some classic Americana Arcana
>>
L5R. Replace Katana wank with Six-Shooter wank change the names to setting appropriate things and go. You even have a dueling mechanic that is basically "Guys stare each other down until one flinches and they kill each other."
>>
I've been using pathfinder for mine. Although its been super weird so far
>>
>>47565151
I'd imagine it would; bloated HP per level and static damage values on guns? Preposterous. Hardly any way to introduce a sense of brutal mortality. Everyone is a cheesecake armored blimp and guns are just peashooters
>>
Would you include stand-ins for famous western characters or actors? Eastwood's man with no name, Wayne's Rooster Cogburn, Maureen O'Hara's Katie Howard, Slim Pickens, or Sam Elliott?
>>
>>47564179
Dogs in the Vineyard - probably what I would pick because I've always wanted to play it and it's about the human interactions and bad decisions people in those stories make.

RuneQuest 6 - Because the combat is terrific, it easily allows for cowboys and indians action, gives some esoteric fantasy options I like with limitations in wild west stories (Asian magic, Native American shamanism), and it's far easier to GM than GURPs.
>>
File: d6 mini6.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
d6 mini6.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47564179
This does a good enough job. Give me a minute, and I'll upload the small module that I made on doing quick-draw fights.
>>
>>47564179
>>47567504
>>
File: Gunslinger.jpg (25 KB, 409x587) Image search: [Google]
Gunslinger.jpg
25 KB, 409x587
Has anyone here done a Wild West campaign?
>>
>>47564278
I really enjoyed wild west stuff in GURPS, good shoot outs and quick draw, everything was there. There are even mass combat rules and a variety of magic/supernatural things to choose from if you want. Even has a gadget system for steampunk inventor shenanigans.
>>
>>47567672
Once ran my group through the plot of Appaloosa. They didn't realize it until after the fact.
>>
File: sixth-gun.jpg (251 KB, 1200x758) Image search: [Google]
sixth-gun.jpg
251 KB, 1200x758
I once tried to run a game based off The 6th Gun using Deadlands but it didn't workout too well
>>
>>47568410
>Deadlands
I'm not super familiar with the game. Give me a bit of opinion on the tone?
>>
>>47568450
Western with spooky shit, Texas Rangers fighting zombies, Indian shamans, magical con men.
>>
>>47568004
Ran mine through Open Range.
>>
Yo, I hate to be an utter faggot, but does anyone have the Aces and Eights PDF?

I really, really need it.
>>
File: gunslinger-town.jpg (482 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gunslinger-town.jpg
482 KB, 1920x1080
>>47568606
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5by390gva9csz9g/Aces+%26+Eights.pdf

Have fun, broski.
>>
>>47568487
What this guy said

Sixth Gun is about an undead Confederate General and his four henchmen trying to gather six pistols really weapon from the dawn of time that currently look like pistols so he can usher in the apocalypse

Each gun does something different
One lets you see the future
One lets you heal from anything
One hits like a cannon
One spreads plague
One shoots hellfire
And another Raises the Dead

The series is a pretty great Weird West story
>>
>>47568689
Also meant to quote this guy>>47568450
>>
>>47564207
>>47564278
Y'all ain't shit.
Wild Cards: Sons of the Gun
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Wild_Cards
>>
>>47568487
I haven't done much with Deadlands, but my favorite part of reading over the book was that the counterpart to the Confederate Texas Ranger special service agents was the Union Pinkerton agents
Except instead of being cowboy lawmen they're more like brass-and-electric Men In Black with crazy Tesla/Edison gadgetry.
>>
>>47568806
Made a homebrew kinda based off this concept, ended up going a different direction but still great fun. Revolved around characters being "lucky" and having luck points to use liberally, along with a weird idea of an auto-adjusting difficulty.

Pity I'm lazy and never got around to actually writing the thing out properly
>>
>>47564179
Cattlepunk.
>>
>>47568643
Fuck, thanks, Anon! I've been looking for days!

Seriously, I fucking love you, man. THANK YOU!
>>
>>47569447
Just pass it on, my negroid. Every Western loves a man of good Christian charity.
>>
>>47568643
Skimmed through this, I love this already!
>>
>>47568410
there is actually an official Sixth Gun rpg setting with the Savage World rules in case you didn't know.
https://www.peginc.com/product-category/sixth-gun/
>>
>>47570163
I had no idea
Thank you kind Anon
>>
>>47564179
It *really* depends on what you want out of it. There've been a few answers already, and they're all correct *depending* on what vibe you're going for. I can only offer my thoughts on games I've played.

If you want lots of grit, knife-edge fights, and realism: GURPS. GURPS can have various things scaled up and down via optional/alternate rules. You can run it light, you can run it heavy, you can make it super-realistic or super-cinematic, you can add in magic (or Aliens, if your players are Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford), you can add in steampunk nonsense, you can throw it into a multi-verse thing with The man in Black fleeing across the Desert, and the Gunslinger following him. At its' core, it's quite gritty.

Deadlands (Classic) or Deadlands Reloaded (Savage Worlds):
Deadlands Classic is sweet as hell. Character generation is done by drawing cards from a deck, and cards and poker chips figure into gameplay in a big way. CAUTION! Deadlands is "Weird West", which means there's Wendigos, Zombies, skinwalkers, magic and Curses, all sorts of weird shit. You *can* strip it out, and it will still work just fine.
Deadlands Reloaded is the same setting remade in Savage Worlds (which drew a fair bit of design from the original Deadlands.) The rules aren't *quite* as... I want to say Quirky... as the original, and to be honest, that's kind of a bummer. Some of the offbeat and unusual rules really lend a lot of flavour to the game.
Nonetheless, either version of Deadlands is really cool if you don't mind weirdness and magic in your westerns. CAUTION! There is a GURPS Deadlands series. I say this as a die-hard GURPS player: NO. Play original (or Reloaded) Deadlands, or play something else in GURPS.

Pathfinder:
No. Sow's Ear, Silk Purse. Play something with rules that actually facilitate the genre of game.
>>
Did someone say Deadlands Classic?!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bye6lS3ntxw-cEhQTV80WU56c0k
>>
File: Cowboys and Dragons tiny.png (19 KB, 250x65) Image search: [Google]
Cowboys and Dragons tiny.png
19 KB, 250x65
I've been working for the past six months on a 3.5 campaign setting based on the wild west (well, broadly speaking it's based on the mid-to-late 1800s, just a focus on the wild west right now) called Cowboys and Dragons. In fact, I was just transcribing some weapon stats when I happened to notice this thread.

The main changes I've made to the standard 3.5 rules are making massive damage into your con score (and thus it's possible, though not certain, to put down most characters with a single bullet) and giving two handed ranged weapons a greater benefit to hit, in the same way that two handed melee weapons have a greater benefit to damage.

As for the setting in general, it's about 10 years after "the great war" which serves as a combination of WW1, the American Civil War, the Napoleonic Wars, the Russian Civil War, the Satsuma rebellion, basically the greatest hits of the 1800s and early 1900s. We got steampunk, we got the return of magic and dragons, we got robot cowboys with man-portable gatling guns, and everybody's on cocaine and laudanum.

Hopefully, it turns out okay.
>>
Is it even possible to play Aces & Eights without the shotclock? I think it's an interesting mechanic, but I play most of my games online and it seems like it would be a bit clunky to use.
>>
Since this is the western thread.

Anyone here plays Doomtown reloaded?
what do you think of it?
>>
>>47564179
>Hell on Wheels

Is that comin' back, or what? It's been more than half a year now.
>>
>>47564179
Pathfinder
>>
File: 1397151440001.png (26 KB, 397x262) Image search: [Google]
1397151440001.png
26 KB, 397x262
whatever you do don't use the D6 system

I bought a local western-themed D6 game and it was a serious mistake

1 minute of dice launching and calculations per gunshot fired
>>
>>47573766
>6 sided dice
>six bullets in gun
>what could go wrong?
>>
File: cowboy.jpg (244 KB, 570x1000) Image search: [Google]
cowboy.jpg
244 KB, 570x1000
>>47570958
>>47573369
This sounds like a horrible idea. But at the least, an interesting setting.

>>47570958
If you have it in PDF format and there's a fair amount of fluff, go ahead and upload that shit. Can't speak for everyone else, but I can't stand 3.5; won't stop me from using a neat setting with other rules, though.

>>47573766
You hush. Dunno what game you were talking about, but MiniSix has never steered me wrong. Most fights are over in a few minutes where Pathfinder would take us half the night. With my fancy-schmancy quickdraw rules, it's even thematic and tense as balls while still rolling fast.
>>
File: DRAGONART.png (589 KB, 520x751) Image search: [Google]
DRAGONART.png
589 KB, 520x751
>>47564179
Iron Kingdoms
>>
>>47576157
>I shot this guy!
>First I look how many dice I can launch
>Then I add the total of all the D6s
>Opponent looks how many dice he can roll for defense
>Then he adds the total of all the D6s
>I roll for damage
>He rolls for toughness
>We consult the damage chart to see how much he is wounded

It's. Fucking. Slow.
>>
>>47576298
Christ, that's literally "baby's first homebrew".
>>
File: 1389191433001.jpg (25 KB, 335x478) Image search: [Google]
1389191433001.jpg
25 KB, 335x478
>>47576315
It's fucked beyond repair, better switch to a better system.
>>
>>47576298
Sure, it SOUNDS slow. But it's honestly not. If you know what damage you're doing and what your toughness it, what you just described takes about thirty seconds. I've yet to find anything faster--there's no need, really--that was worth the change over.

What, is eating too slow for you as well? Or do you prefer to just inject your sustenance straight in, get that irritatingly slow chewing and taste out of the way nice and quick-like?
>>
File: 1450441115001.jpg (22 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
1450441115001.jpg
22 KB, 533x477
>>47576352
>I've yet to find anything faster
Like, any game with fix AC and toughness threshold?
One man can dream, I guess.
>>
>>47576386
The only games with AC I've tried was Pathfinder. And I've no interest in playing that again.
>>
>>47576344
>badwrongfun
Look, buddy, this was a good thread. People play a system you don't like, you play a system others don't like. Probably should let it go before you drive other people away from a good topic that no one ever talks about here.
>>
>>47576415
It was you who was aggressive, fuckface. I was just stating why I was thinking it's slow.
Jeez
>>
>>47576386
>>47576443
MiniSix works with set-number defenses as standard. Not really necessary, but it removes about half the rolling you were bitching about. Going back to OpenD6 mechanics is optional.
>>
File: holy gunslinger.jpg (50 KB, 640x897) Image search: [Google]
holy gunslinger.jpg
50 KB, 640x897
>>47564179
Bumping. Not nearly enough people discuss Westerns in /tg/.

Does anyone have good stories?
>>
>>47576157
>.pdf
I thought this option seemed neater: http://cowboys-and-dragons.wikia.com/wiki/Cowboys_and_Dragons

Still under construction, but I like to leave enough empty space on the map for players to move about, make things up.
>>
Well, other than Deadlands, which already got some coverage here, I'd think you could brew something great in Song Of Swords + Ballad of the Laser Whale.
Very deadly, great combat, optional magic.
You can get both PDFs over in the SoS general. But the layout is bad as of now, so it might be hard to dig into
>>
>>47564179
Ops and Tactics

http://www.opsandtactics.com/

The Cap and Ball weapons are in Modern Magika, that's because no one uses them unless magic is evolved.

But the cartridge guns are in Armory.
>>
>>47578236

I forgot, you can also fan revolvers if you want to.
>>
>>47568806
Anyone here played or run a wild cards game? Seems decent for a 'lighter' rules western, though I feel like actual poker mechanics for resolution would increase immersion.

So yeah, thoughts or feedback from folks who have tried it?
>>
>>47565202
>Everyone is a cheesecake armored blimp

Just stopped by to say That's my fetish
>>
I'm making a cowboy character for a modified cyberpunk 2020 game coming up and was hoping for some fun ideas to spruce up this character. My first thoughts were hologram spurs
>>
Aces and Eights is designed for it. But it's quite crunchy and finding a book won't be easy.
It's very well-researched and in-depth, from what I've heard.
>>
>>47580273
I want to play the setting with a rule-set I'm more familiar with. Not sure I like the rules for Wild Cards, but the setting seems dope.
>>
>>47580786
See >>47568643 as far as "hard to find," goes. I've posted it for people who want it.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.