[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When's the last time you saw an original fantasy setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 19
File: generic fantasy characters.png (32 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
generic fantasy characters.png
32 KB, 600x450
When's the last time you saw an original fantasy setting? Has the genre become so stable that there's nothing more to discover? Can something be more than just "like Tolkien but X"?

Let's be real, medieval times sucked. The feudal system was born from a necessity to repel bandits. No one could get anything done without an infrastructure, so there were harsh roles to combat harsh environments. And then throw magic and other races into the mix and it should be even harder to maintain. It feels like everything is being bent to accommodate the experience of becoming powerful rather than interacting with a world that reacts back. I get that we want to play the most interesting people that do the most interesting stuff, but it sacrifices the world for it.
>>
There is no original fantasy setting.
People will just accuse any "original" idea as being a reskin of something that has already been done.
>>
>>47554872
>There is no original fantasy setting.
Bible?
>>
>>47554891
>Bible
>original
Jews did it first.
>>
>>47554891
>bible
>original setting
I don't have any reaction images on my phone
>>
>>47554891
Zoroastrianism did it first.
>>
File: chow150_markwinters.jpg (378 KB, 650x1158) Image search: [Google]
chow150_markwinters.jpg
378 KB, 650x1158
Try looking beyond the DnD-styled RPG settings. Go read and actual book or two. You can start with Tolkien, because the anglo-saxon, generally low magic, setting of his is a far cry from the direction the settings you lament tend to take. It's also a case where world building has been heavily emphasised, and no concern whatsoever has been given to playing a character in that world.

Then while you're at it, sit down and think about originality for its own sake, vs trying to make something that's actually good.
>>
>>47554910
>original
>jews
>>
>>47554797
The Endless games (Specifically Endless Legend)
The Elder Scrolls
The Edge Chronicles
The Dark Crystal, Never-Ending Story and practically every 60s-80s fantasy movie ever made
The Dreamlands
And like a hundred more I can't name.
If you wanna know how recent they are, Endless Legend was made two years ago and has 3 extensive expansion packs that expand on both story and gameplay. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Turn Based or 4X strategy games.
>>
>>47554797
Being original is massively overrated.
>>
>Let's be real, medieval times sucked
Compared to XX century and onwards yes.
For an average person though, XII century was the best period to live until later half of XIX century
Almost all technological and cultural advancement during those ages benefitted only the upper strata, nobility and burgeoise, while peasants were getting only a scraps of that. Scraps that weren't anywhere close compensating for worsening climatic conditions and developement of political systems far more oppresive towards low classes than feudalism.
>>
>>47554891
>Bible
Fanfic of Sumerian mythology but with one superpowerful deity who can't be wrong, perfect at all times and people either worship him or pay the price.
>>
>>47554797
Or you could like... just use some imagination. Just because a world has swords in it doesn't automatically mean it has to be super historically accurate medieval Europe. It also doesn't have to be "Tolkien but X". Personally I dislike many many aspects of Tolkien's work and would never base a fantasy setting on it.

I dunno... I feel like a super weeaboo saying this, but watch some fukken anime or read some manga or something, boot up your inspiration drives and get your imagination going. Magi, Dungeon Meshi, there's lots of stuff out there that's neither Tolkien nor historic-accuracy fap.
>>
File: swag victory.png (1 MB, 942x530) Image search: [Google]
swag victory.png
1 MB, 942x530
>>47554979
Ayup.
>>
>>47554797
>Can something be more than just "like Tolkien but X"?

Yes, easily. For starters, you can take the other half of Tolkien, because the "like Tolkien but X" snowclone genre had not that much Tolkien in it to begin with and has now photocopy-of-photocopied itself even further away.

For example, did you know that Tolkien elves had +2 Con, loved the seas more than the forests, and the books never say they had pointy ears? Also, the extra manuscripts suggest they originally used rudimentary telepathy to communicate amongst themselves, but this mostly fell out of use with the combination of the development of language and meeting nonelven races who did not share this ability.
>>
>>47554797
Yes. Doing something original -well- is much harder than doing something unoriginal well. An axe doesn't function worse than a spiked chain because it's not original.
>>
File: Cultists.png (3 MB, 1080x667) Image search: [Google]
Cultists.png
3 MB, 1080x667
>>47555041
>using the tools of heretic gods
while I applaud you for your good taste in gaming, dustfag go home
>>
File: lowlife.jpg (108 KB, 360x494) Image search: [Google]
lowlife.jpg
108 KB, 360x494
The "Low Life" setting for Savage Worlds is about as original as fantasy gets.
>>
>>47554979
>Elder Scrolls
>literally started as an inhouse game of D&D
>>
>>47555122
Yes, but look at it now. While Arena and Daggerfall were fairly generic, I'll give you that, Kirkbride is who really started to make the setting of the Elder Scrolls stand out. If you don't trust me, go replay Morrowind.
>>
>>47554872
>There is no original fantasy setting
Conan?
>>
>>47555092
u just mad 'cause ur made of weak flesh and the scions of the virtual endless 2 swag 4 u
>>
>>47555155
Conan was based off of Lovecraft's Dreamlands if I'm correct.
>>47555161
>being this much of a shill
do you like never being able to feel anything?
>>
>>47554797
I've tried (and failed) to explain this to my local autist, the one who constantly slurs "Hurrrrr you stole that from X" whenever I'm running games.

Nothing is unique. Nothing. Everything can be related to anything else. The South Park Simpsons episode covered it perfectly. However, what matters is not the inspiration, but what you do with it.
>>
>>47555265
>Conan was based off of Lovecraft's Dreamlands if I'm correct.
This is so wrong I don't even remember what right feels like anymore.
>>
>>47554797
>Let's be real, medieval times sucked. The feudal system was born from a necessity to repel bandits. No one could get anything done without an infrastructure, so there were harsh roles to combat harsh environments. And then throw magic and other races into the mix and it should be even harder to maintain. It feels like everything is being bent to accommodate the experience of becoming powerful rather than interacting with a world that reacts back.
Yo OP, you should talk to these guys: >>47550155
>>
>>47555265
>Conan was based off of Lovecraft's Dreamlands if I'm correct.
I always though it was some sort of fake history.
>>
>>47555478
Some of the monsters Conan stabbed were imported from Lovecraft tho
>>
>>47554797
Warhammer RPG V2 was pretty great as a med-fan setting or even just a basis
You can have high interaction dynamics if you don't care about following the canon and enough time to craft enough probable reactions of the universe at least partially
>>
>>47555533
>>47555265
Robert and Howard were best friends and happily shared notes, ideas and stories with each other. The two of them played off each other well, with Robert countering Howard's despair and nihilism with heroism and passion.
>>
Outside of DnD/RPGs and Video Games, the generic fantasy setting has been on the out since the late 80s. You'll still see mages and knights and sometimes dragons around, but even the stuff that has swords these days tends to be a little less medieval and a little further along.
>>
>>47554797
Never.

I did saw some creative fantasy settings, but they didn't look like medieval western europe.
>>
>>47555154
>Kirkbride worship
It's still a boring hero's journey, except it has desert Drow.
>>
>>47555273
It was unique when it first appeared ,so how can you know that it's not unique if you didn't even tried to create it?
>>
File: 957567.jpg (19 KB, 276x415) Image search: [Google]
957567.jpg
19 KB, 276x415
>>47554797
Read the Iron Dragon's Daughter recently, that's pretty original. Sort of like a magitek cyberpunk Alice in Wonderland with elements of Evangelion.
>>
File: LAUGH.png (331 KB, 784x542) Image search: [Google]
LAUGH.png
331 KB, 784x542
>>47554891
>Bible
>Original
>>
File: lol.gif (491 KB, 480x250) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
491 KB, 480x250
>>47554797
>Let's be real, medieval times sucked. The feudal system was born from a necessity to repel bandits. No one could get anything done without an infrastructure, so there were harsh roles to combat harsh environments.
>>
>>47555273
This. Especially if you're running a fantasy game, everything you come up with will be a remix at best, if not a straight up ripoff - and that's fine. Almost every plot will have been done before, but you can still imbue it with new meaning thru new contexts, perspectives, emphasises. Like that's literally all Shakespeare did.
>>
>>47554991
This.
>>
Wasn't the last original book Don Quixote? Or something like that?
>>
>>47555023
Dungeon Meshi is fucking great. It takes time to talk about things we hardly ever hear in fantasy. Like cooking in a dungeon and dungeon ecology.
>>
>>47555549
>Well Howard, ur such a fag. How about I stab your nerdy-ass monsters in my next book?
>>
>>47554797
>Let's be real, medieval times sucked. The feudal system was born from a necessity to repel bandits. No one could get anything done without an infrastructure, so there were harsh roles to combat harsh environments. And then throw magic and other races into the mix and it should be even harder to maintain. It feels like everything is being bent to accommodate the experience of becoming powerful rather than interacting with a world that reacts back. I get that we want to play the most interesting people that do the most interesting stuff, but it sacrifices the world for it.
So what, you want to play Game of Thrones? Fantasy settings don't need to be a 'realistic' interpretation of your bro-history conception of feudal times. They're based on myth more than history, legends of valiant heroes, dastardly villains, big ass monsters, etc. No shit it's unrealistic, but the idea of doing a setting that takes a more 'realistic' approach to real-world history with some fantasy elements isn't exactly 'original' either: look at Game of Thrones or Warhammer Fantasy (especially what I remember of WFRP).
Really the fantasy settings that I find most interesting are the ones that take the mythmaking impulse to different areas of history other than feudal Britain, Germany, and occasionally Japan to be 'exotic'. What about a fantasy take on a stone age society, where the forests are deep and uncharted and all you have is a pointy stick? Or a society suffering under (or shaking off) a colonial empire? Of course all of these have been done before - the Wolf Brother series of YA books did the former, Ursula Le Guin sometimes deals with the latter - but they're settings that still feel fresh compared to your standard DnD shit.
>>
>>47555940
except Don Quixote is a clear pastiche of chivalric romances
>>
>>47554797
>Medieval times sucked
>The feudal system was brutal
I mean, I only ever took a basic Medieval History 101 class in uni before I dropped out, but kind of the overarching theme of the course was that those two statements aren't true.

Like, I didn't retain much and it was a while ago, but you should take a look, do some research and whatnot, you'll find things weren't quite what you think.

Go watch some episodes of Medieval Lives with Terry Jones on youtube.
>>
>>47556013
You know Robert E. Howard commited suicide, right?

Like, I adore both figures, just saying you're foisting this alpha broham persona on a person who was pretty sensitive and timid. And that makes you look dumb.
>>
>>47556112
I imagine he said it with a lisp.
>>
>>47556046
But doesn't it deconstruct them? Before it was cool to deconstruct, I mean.
>>
File: 1408976475450.png (414 KB, 530x464) Image search: [Google]
1408976475450.png
414 KB, 530x464
>One half of /tg/
>Every fantasy setting is try hard original edgy shit now! I want the old tropes back!

>Other half of /tg/
>Every fantasy setting is generic tropes and Tolien rip offs! I want something new and original!

Every hour of every fucking day
>>
>>47556437
>You
>I didn't read a single post in this thread and I'll try to act superior to everyone!

In every fucking thread there's a fag like you.
>>
>>47555533
Yes, and that was it. Howard developed Conan and his other characters on his own, Lovercaftian monster and entities were just a friendly shout out as per>>47555549
>>
>>47556437
>4chan is filled with contrarians

say it ain't so
>>
File: sizedimage (1).png (118 KB, 455x402) Image search: [Google]
sizedimage (1).png
118 KB, 455x402
Is it really all that important that a setting is original? Wouldn't you rather have a setting made with love (and possibly some verisimilitude) than one made specifically to be original? Personally, I find the worst thing I know is when people think they're clever - which is part of the reason I could never like Terry Pratchett as much as I wanted to.
>>
>>47554797
>Has the genre become so stable that there's nothing more to discover?
Not at all. In fact the "genre" such as it's defined, is incredibly versatile. Alice in Wonderland, for instance, is a fantasy story. So is Peter Pan. It's stupid, creative people that keep going back to the hoary old cliches that are the problem, and a too narrow conception of what fantasy can be, almost inevitably copying Tolkien, and doing it incredibly poorly.
>>
Planescape at the time was a very avant-garde setting for D&D, and still my favourite today.
>>
>>47558045
I, conversely, think it sucks balls.
>>
>>47558236
Why do you think that anon?
>>
>>47557909
Exactly this. If you're tired of playing in settings based in Tolkien, workshop a playable setting based on Wizard of Oz, or Conan the Barbarian, or even go back to Tolkien's inspiration and write right out of mythology.

Personally, I avoid Tolkien-esque like the plague. It pretty much only worked when Tolkien did it, although obviously some of the staple races and things translate well to other works.
>>
>>47556097
Medieval Lives gave you the impression that it didn't suck for easily 90% of the population?
It's one of the few periods of world history where "brutish and short" applies.
>>
>>47558259
It's an everything sandwich full of mayonnaise, tooth paste and bicycles.
>>
The Clay that Woke is pretty interesting.
>>
>>47558685
I don't see the comparison.
>>
>>47554944
>And Volcano spoke: Let there be Volcano! And there was a Volcano.
>>
>>47558813
I do. It's everything to the point of being nothing. It isn't a setting, it's all settings and that isn't for a lot of people. They want a single cohesive setting to explore in depth.
>>
It is irrelevant if something is 'totally unqiue' for it to be actually unique and original.

For example; combine sword and sorcery themes in a bronze-age setting set on two planets that use stargates to go between them and fill them with some sci-fi style races instead of fantasy. There you go, that's a pretty unique setting.

Using lots of generic parts is fine because I see it from the opposite direction; EVERY fantasy setting is unique.
>>
>>47558861
You should see Golarion. It's not a setting either, it's a theme park.
>>
>>47558867
Isn't this Golarion?
>>
>>47554872
Yes there is. It's called reality. People set their first fiction in reality.
>>
>>47554797
>When's the last time you saw an original fantasy setting?
Attack on Pokemon Hunter was pretty close.
The individual pieces were pre-used, but the composite was definitely greater than the sum of its parts, and led to unique character challenges and themes.
>>
>>47554910
>implying the tanakh is not part of the bible
>>
>>47554797
Inverse World is pretty cool. It's set on the inside of some magical megastructure. The sun lies at the center of the world, and the sky is made of stone. There are floating islands, but since the light comes from the same direction as gravity is pulling, life on them is based around tangled jungles of vines and creepers hanging off the bottom. The places most similar to our world are in the semi-liquid cloud sea, where the islands and cities have light refracted to them from the water vapor to create a sort of all-pervasive aurora. And everyone has an elemental alignment based on where they're born. Born on an island, you're earth-aligned, stocky and strong. Born in the water or a cloud, and you're water-aligned, having traits of a fish. Born in the open sky, and you're air-aligned, having wings.
>>
>>47554891
what is gilgamesh
>>
>>47554797
have you tried anything from the Dragonriders of Pern series?

I've yet to see anything like it.
>>
>>47554797
Transformers. Its lore is unique. Nothing like it came before, though there have been many copies since.
>>
File: 350px-Dreadfort_Big.jpg (42 KB, 350x261) Image search: [Google]
350px-Dreadfort_Big.jpg
42 KB, 350x261
>>47554797

"Originality" is a trap which claims a lot of amateur writers and worldbuilders.

Try to be contrarian and turn every cliche you know on its head? People won't like it, because it's just a shallow subversion. Try to be counter-contrarian and play it all straight? People also won't like it, because you're just regurgitating a bunch of tropes and cliches with no real substance.

Some people here are advising you to just transplant your setting from "Medieval Europe" to some other region/time period. I caution against that. Exchanging your poorly-informed understanding of Medevial Europe with your poorly-informed understanding of [Insert Region Here] will not accomplish anything. Mostly because the world will still be functionally identical to any other, except the names and buildings are different.

You bring up "Like Tolkien but X". I should remind you Tolkien's work was nothing like modern fantasy worldbuilding. D&D stuff is just a pastiche of kitchen sink fantasy and mythology tropes thrown in together, with the understnading your're supposed to take out or keep stuff at your discretion.

So instead I offer this advice: write what you like, and make sure you're skilled enough to keep things interesting and consistent. To again use Tolkien, he liked Vikings. Like, he REALLY liked Vikings. So he put Vikings in his story. But by virtue of his worldbuilding, he couldn't make them seafarers. So he made them horsemen. And he made horses a part of their culture, but didn't go overboard and say "These are the Horselords of the Horselands. They are the most skilled Horsemen in the realm, and they worship the Horse-God." He gave them culture and history and personality beyond some simple gimmick. And he did this all throughout his writings. It worked, because above all he liked what he was writing and he was skilled enough to make it interesting.
>>
>>47556046
It's a PARODY of chivalric romances, at least the first part, and a pretty funny one at that. I don't know what the fuck you thought you were reading if you thought it was serious
>>
>>47556437
maybe we could have something original that isn't edgy?

Er, actually, wait no. we got that with early seasons Adventure Time, and /tg/ never really latched onto it.

Nevermind you're right they're just insatiable.
>>
>>47558884
>>47558896

By this point, what isn't Golarion?
>>
>>47559026
To anyone who hasn't read it, it's essentially about a guy who reads so many chivalry novels he goes insane and decides to become a knight-errant
>>
>>47558958
Ohh, this is neat. Where is this from?
>>
>>47554797
One Piece?

>>47556097
or some LindyBeige.
>>
>>47559129
He's like the ultimate weeaboo.
>>
>>47559001
vikings on horses... Isn't that basically the mongols?
>>
>>47555041
The top of the guy's helmet looks like a smiley face
>>
>>47559161
I wonder if we should make an updated version for the modern times.

>Thats not a windmill! It's obviously a titan!
>>
File: 1446152960335.png (5 KB, 383x140) Image search: [Google]
1446152960335.png
5 KB, 383x140
>>47556488

In his defense, that is how most "Fantasy setting, what do?" threads are like.

>Everything's grimderp and edgy, I just wanna save a princess from a dragon.
>Fuck you fag, everything's just generic Medieval Europe, I wanna play fantasy Byzantium with a bunch of political intrigue!
>Gurm is a hack, GoTfags please leave
>It's all Tolkien's fault
>Is LotR grimdark?
>Is LotR noblebright?
>Well in MY setting, Elves are like Aztecs
>Well, in MY setting, Elves are like Mongolians
>Well, in MY setting, Elves are niggers
>tfw you'll never play in a heroic cliche setting cause all everyone wants is political intrigue and shades of grey
>tfw you just want something interesting but everyone just wants to play Tolkien simulator.

Am I missing anything?
>>
File: 1449736868460.jpg (29 KB, 366x321) Image search: [Google]
1449736868460.jpg
29 KB, 366x321
>>47559163

Rohan's nothing like the Mongols, famiglia.
>>
>>47559181
>he white knights a cam-girl called SW33TY THANG online.
>a DBZ-fan mexican otaku follows him around.
>>
>>47559001
One of the best moments of the Rohirrim is kinda ruined in the movies.

They get so riled up about the battle of the Pelennor Fields they begin singing so loudly that they're heard all the way to Gondor. It's only after they see Theoden and Eowyn wounded that they shut up, go back to formation and being chanting "DEATH" like they do in the movie
>>
>>47559182
That a pretty big myriad of POVs, Anon. Specially on 4chan.
>>
File: 1428822528835.jpg (145 KB, 493x800) Image search: [Google]
1428822528835.jpg
145 KB, 493x800
>>47559182
>>
>>47559219
then I guess he's not vikings on horseback, is he.
>>
>>47559182
where are you people finding all of your political intrigue campaigns? I know a guy who would kill to be in one of those.
>>
File: 1450739551040.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1450739551040.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>47559406

>Implying all Vikings ever did was pillage and burn

Also

>Rohan
>he
>>
>>47559400
>/v/ in a nutshell.jpg
>/tg/, the new /v/, in a nutshell.jpg
>frankly almost every board but /s4s/ and /trash/.jpg

>>47559438
>implying all mongols ever did was pillage and burn
>>
>>47558861
I have to greatly disagree. I think it has enough to be it's own setting. Things like Sigil, the Cant, the Factions, the Outlands, the Blood War, and the interactivity and connectivity of the multiverse. The realms of gods and the dead. There's plenty for it to stand on it;s own, and I maintain Planescape is best used as a setting that's on it's own.
>>
>>47559478

>implying all mongols ever did was pillage and burn

Only further reinforces my point, anon.

The guy seems to think Vikings on horseback are functionally identical to Mongols, because he seems to think both societies only raided places and destroyed whatever shit they couldn't steal.
>>
How about, instead of sitting here and whining, you...I don't know...
Make something original?
>>
>>47559696
Because that's impossiburu.
>>
>>47559696

>instead of sitting here and whining
>zachbraffandjohnmcginley.jpg
>>
>>47558867
You mean literally Stargate SG1?
>>
>>47559417

"Political intrigue" is a borderline meme. It's a catchall term for totally real scenarios where a GM watches GoT and tries to sell the players on a campaign about conniving nobles and backroom deals. Apparently this happens all the time and half of /tg/ yearns for the days when this wasn't a consideration in a fantasy game.
>>
Why not a flat world, with the setting being on the underside?

Whole societies clinging to the bottom.
>>
>>47560509

>my setting is Australia
>>
File: 23 Weeks Selfie.png (779 KB, 1296x1050) Image search: [Google]
23 Weeks Selfie.png
779 KB, 1296x1050
>>47560537
Minus the petrol-huffing niggers and war-ending emus, Bruce.
>>
File: Letters from Emu Jima.jpg (23 KB, 320x352) Image search: [Google]
Letters from Emu Jima.jpg
23 KB, 320x352
>>47560554

>war-ending emus
>>
There are a whole bunch of settings, everyone just likes Tolkien more.

Even heard of Glorantha?
>>
Who cares? They don't exist.
>>
>>47560645

Considering the entire point of traditional RPGs is creating worlds and exploring them, saying "who cares they don't exist" every time people have worldbuilding discussions is thirty-two different flavors of asinine.

1/10 got me to reply here's your (You)
>>
>>47558574
He's talking about the documentary, not the dinner and show that you saw when you were twelve. Go read a book.
>>
>>47555860
It's pretty original, kind of like a mix of other stuff that already exist
>>
>>47558981

Isn't that the one where dragonriders fight malevolent space fungus and there's a lot of graphic rape scenes?
>>
>>47554872
There are, but those settings inevitably disappear up their own butt trying to keep things organized.
>>
>>47561149

>those settings inevitably disappear up their own butt trying to keep things organized.

Another common pitfall for worldbuilding.

People get so obsessed with filling their world with a bunch of useless information, it becomes a mess of folders within folders of pointless crap.

Nobody needs to know that across the world there are the ruins of the Kingdom of Akarath, formed ten thousand years ago when the Knights of the Last Sun pushed out the genrathi demons using their magic krallish swords.
>>
>>47561207
this. it also pays to have a sense of scale. Whenever I build "worlds" for my campaigns they're regions probably no bigger than half the US. You can cram a lot of shit into 100 square miles and frankly I get kind of put off when I see worldbuilding that spans continents or god forbid entire planets. It looks grandiose but it just makes the world feel empty because you're still gonna cram traveling from one city to the next in one session;; all it's gonna do is make you look retarded for putting plot points so far away from each other.
>>
>>47560630
The Uz did nothing wrong
>>
>>47554979
>Endless Legend
My African American companion
>>
>>47558966
A huge overhyped nerd
>>
You just embrace it and go full Neverending Story. That is the only correct way.
>>
File: 1464700025831.jpg (593 KB, 2500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1464700025831.jpg
593 KB, 2500x1500
>>47561935

This is also good advice.

Middle Earth is huge, which is why travelling across it took up the entire trilogy.
>>
>>47561935
That's a good rule of thumb that I largely adhere to without thinking about it. When I worldbuild I usually start with an area about the size of a midsize US state and add regions of a similar size until I have maybe 10 or 15 of them and call it done.
>>
>>47561935
Indeed. Think about your story or campaign, and how much area they can cover. Focus on that area, and give the rest of the world a broad-strokes treatment.

I'm currently planning a campaign that's pretty much limited to a single region (probably with an explicit rule that characters reaching a certain level or leaving the area are no longer part of the story), and I'd really like to make a setting that's a single city one day, when I'm better at it.

On that subject, have you seen any interesting cities lately?
>>
>>47554797
>Elusive
>Sneaky
Aren't these incredibly similar?
>>
>>47563518
They are, though elusive implies hard to get/find and sneaky implies underhanded.
>>
>>47555092
Buzz off, you creepy robot cultists. You can't get anything done without mind-fucking somebody else into doing it for you.
>>
>>47563518

It could also be a misspelling of "Illusive" which means shifty and deceptive.
>>
>>47563642
Dwarves aren't usually called illusive though.

But I do like me some criminal Dwarves. For whatever reason they make great crime families.
>>
>>47563688

They aren't usually called elusive either.

Neither is a term I'd apply to dwarves. When I think of standard fantasy dwarves, I think of descriptors like "surly".
>>
>>47563476
A full RPG set in a typical DnD world but where the entire campaign happens within the confines of one city. Like it would be a realistic size city, where it will actually take a decent time to walk from one side to another, and with tons of different districts and neighborhoods, different factions, where you could spend days of quests and shit in one little area
>>
>>47563731
Oddly enough, the old impression of dwarves had them more like gnomes, so elusive would definitely apply.

Not sure, but it may have been Tolkien that really made the gruff burly and husky bearded miner trope popular
>>
>>47554991
Underrated post
>>
>>47563784

Odd, considering his dwarves really weren't like that. Gimli was a little rough around the edges but that was really just him.

Of course his Elves also were nothing like modern D&D Elves.
>>
>>47563784
I thought Snowhite came first.
>>
>>47563765
Any details?

There's always Sigil, I guess.
>>
>>47558958
If the sun is in the middle of the world and the sky is stone what do they stand on? Sounds pretty poorly thought out tbqh.
>>
>>47563860
True. Obviously Peter Jackson had an affect on things later on. But still, yeah, his dwarves were pretty beardy, the whole "delving too deep" things, etc.

And his elves were very different. Tall seafarers who are basically marooned on a shitty continent full of short-lived humans who constantly fuck things up but reluctantly help them sometimes. And they were pretty much superhumans rather than the dainty pointy-eared archers we see all the time in fantasy settings.

Original Tolkien was actually really cool. I mean, consider that the whole place was supposed to basically be saxon-era Europe. Reading the original actually gives a cool "new" perspective on the fantasy setting. Would be cool for someone to play a game following more closely to Tolkien rather than the later peter-jackson-esque style. Like the other guy mentioned, for example, the elves would be superhumans who love the sea and think humans are trouble.

Also, semi-related, I'd love to see a sci Fi setting or universe where there is no massive human faction called "the empire" or "imperium" or some derivative of that. Like take those tropes and turn them on their heads. Make humans be the isolated nomadic space pirates and raiders (think elder and dark elder in 40k), maybe the big powerhouse empire is by some nasty ugly alien bug race
>>
>>47559529
I took a class on the mongols in college and I was amazed by how much they did that wasn't pillaging and raping. I mean yeah there was a lot of that but the average person doesn't realize how much Ghenghis and his sons ruled and how organized it was before it all fell apart a few generations later.
>>
>>47563976

Jackson's take on the Lord of the Rings is pretty true to the original books, just with a little more flair added in for the sake of cinematic drama.

Can't say the same for the Hobbit movies though.

I actually am running a fantasy game which has a few leafs taken out of Tolkien's book, but I'd be stroking my dick if I said it was exactly like what he described.
>>
>>47563922
No. The original snow white had dwarves that were of the gnome-type. Like in the brothers Grimm. Even once you get to the Disney cartoon, which actually came out the same year as the hobbit, they got a little fatter and beardy and gruff, but were still more like gnomes.
>>
>>47564049
It was close in some ways, but it made some stylistic changes. It basically took the overall feel to being more high medieval instead of migration era. Like Aragon's sword being a big two handed longsword, where the books talk about him having a shield, and it's likely that Tolkien would have pictured anduril as being like a really ornate Viking sword
>>
>>47563976
but obviously you still need to call the human civilization "the empire" and make them the brash, cocky "better than you" elf like people.

Wait didn't this already happen with some pulp space genre? Serious question, not being sarcastic.
>>
>>47564079
Why were they then greedy, digging deep into the mines, and having valuable gems/gold that don't want to let go of?
>>
>>47564279
Well those tropes were still associated with gnomes as well. The lines blur at some point.

I'm just saying that the idea of dwarves being slightly shorter than humans, but way stockier and stronger, super gruff and tough warriors, etc.

I mean even gnomes share the whole mining and greed thing.
>>
>>47564272
No idea. Maybe it's been done before.
>>
>>47555773
>Not knowing it's about how the idea of prophecy in fantasy is silly.
>Desert Drow.
Great bait, friendo.
>>
>>47562358
Darkness humans more like worthless humans, uz are trash uz eat shit lie down and die uz you'll go back to underworld that you love so much
>>
>>47554797
I think Avatar:TLA/LoK was the last really original setting I saw, at least which comes readily to mind.

There's also Earthsea, if you like.
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.