[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to run a game where players are guards of the city
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 81IKoRHGQNL.jpg (369 KB, 1070x956) Image search: [Google]
81IKoRHGQNL.jpg
369 KB, 1070x956
I'd like to run a game where players are guards of the city watch. Basically fantasy Cops. I'm just having trouble figuring out what they'd actually do. You got any ideas /tg/?
>>
>>47547416
Watch Cops and loosly based it off of that. For a silly one, see Reno 911.
>>
watch Skyrim Cops, and do something off that. It's a parody of Cops, and is set in a fantasy realm so... It fits in.
>>
>>47547461
Yeah, watch Reno 911 and Super Troopers because that's more likely what you're going to get.
>>
If you wanna play it straight, have them introduced through some day to day boring shit (drunk and disorderly barbarians at a tavern -- non-lethal apprehension, of course) and then have a murder. A fantastic murder. Something magical, or some kind of clues that suggest a wild beast. Maybe the victim was turned to stone? Anyway, have some weird clues -- glowing tattoos, a jeweled brooch that clearly doesnt belong to a peasant barmaid, whatever -- and then create a massive conspiracy around it that these city guards begin investigating that takes them to the highest echelons of society. Have the corrupt guard chief take them off the case when they get close. Have them go rogue. Have them realize the wealthiest and most powerful are involved. Take cues from the seedy underground scenes of 8mm, the Nick Cage movie. Have there be super secret bordellos where you can pay to murder slave girls hidden in lavish underground spots accessible only through the basement of a trade guild... or the sewers, guided by a madman/beggar who everyone discounts when he mutters about a death cult with blood on its hands led by a lizardman death priest living in the city and paying fealty to a basilisk.

Start small, make the clues stack layers and layers of hard-to-ignore suggestions of a conspiracy until it blows up in their faces and have them race to the heart of a horrible truth involving the most powerful men and women in the city -- and forces beyond mortal ken.
>>
>>47547416

Just go read the Terry Pratchet Night watch/guards guards! books. It'll really write itself after that.

Have a NPC Sam Vimes they have to answer too.
>>
>>47547627
This Anon has it right.

Start small.

With, say, a dragon.
>>
I came in here to post Guards, Guards, and I see /tg/ is well ahead of me. Excellent.
>>
>>47547627
Guard Chief seems currupt, but only to try and keep his men alive and safe, he kicks them off the case to protect them under the guise that he got paid off, hoping that they, no longer held by red tape, can solve the mystery. Leave gold bonus/hush money optional.
>>
>>47547416
Have them play the equivalent of Police Detectives. That means less breaking up drunken brawls and more magical mysteries and actual threats.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.