[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think an interstellar human culture that had instantaneous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
What do you think an interstellar human culture that had instantaneous communication but no FTL travel would be like?

Assume that information can be instantaneously transmitted over any distance, but humans can't be scanned and reconstituted on the other side, and brains can't be uploaded or treated like "information".
>>
>>47545905
Shitposting beyond the speed of light and not much else.
>>
>>47545946
You might be right.

>Say that to my face not online fucker I'm gonna kick the shit out of you
>Go ahead here's my address
>I'm gonna kill you faggot
>What are you going to do, my entire culture will be supplanted by the time you get here
>>
>>47545905
Only old fags can tri star.

That tri star.
>>
>>47545905

Well, aside from >>47545946, scientific discoveries could be coordinated and info could be shared.

>You discovered [PHYSICS PROPERTY]
>We discovered [WONDER MATERIAL]
>And they discovered [MEDICAL SCIENCE ADVANCEMENT]
>Let's trade info!
>Or combine discoveries!
>Or implement the new shit we've learned!

Imagine a race that hasn't discovered vaccines yet, or imagine we haven't discovered how to turn some common material into some super form with massive utility, or some other race discovered an easy way to do something else we do better. Throw that around and all races with access are having an easier time surviving. I'd say forget trading info, even, just put all that info up for free and let everyone with access peruse the libraries of scientific knowledge for anything of value to their own research.

If someone figured out a cheap way to manufacture carbon nanomaterials or create cheap alternative energy sources, we'd want to hear about them. And to a race whose gone this long without knowing about vaccines, they'd certainly want to know that they don't have to deal with certain debilitating diseases anymore.

But for the layman it's shitposting and a whole bunch of new alien TV show seasons to catch on SpessFlix. Imagine a whole new market for historical documentaries on a large budget, niche fanbases cropping up around everyone favorite historical figures from other species, and new genres about multiple species hanging out together even though without FTL they'll never really ever stand together across the vast and empty gulfs of space and time.

Also, no lag time for other planets. High-speed internet for everyone in every solar system. Instantaneous feedback or direct control of robot probes far from human controllers.
>>
I suspect that if there's a push for maintaining relationships across lightyears of space, there'd be a push towards better telepresence. People could collaborate or socialize despite distance if they had the tools for it, and with instant transmission it's mostly just a matter of implementation -- starting as simple as multi-user VR and maybe going as far as hard-light holograms or whatever kind of projection tech you want to believe in. You could easily do something like piloting a robotic avatar with a neural interface -- it'd be more or less as good as being there.
>>
>>47545905
Advanced virtual reality would probably be kinda big. People from anywhere in the galaxy could interact in a virtual world and the distance wouldn't really make any difference.
>>
>>47547785
>>47547978

Second life but with aliens. That'd be pretty sweet.

You could probably build a virtual room and play some multi-species PnP with alien nerds.
>>
>>47548027
Why a "Second life but with aliens" when you can have "Matrix but with aliens"?
>>
>>47545905
You'd get very different cultures for each colony, and lots of stereotypes about what any given colony thinks of the others. It'd be similar to how it is now, with people in different countries discussing things far away from eachother.

The flow of ideas would mean there'd still be a general sense of unity through shared entertainment and information, but the distance would prevent any tangible contact.

I would imagine movie and game culture being more popular. Things that people can share between worlds and discuss are going to be more interesting than rebels blowing up a chemical plant on a random island on Omicron 5 or wherever.

Think about the difference between local news, national news, and world news.
>>
>>47548066

Because I don't want to die in real life if I die in the Matrix with aliens.
>>
>>47548066
>>47549346

Though VR xenophilia would be great, by the way.
>>
File: 1436576486646.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1436576486646.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>47549346
>not wanting to die
>>
>>47549420

nihilist memes plz go
>>
Wasnt this the case in the Ender series?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.