[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ DnD 5e general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: DSC_0010.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0010.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Thread question: what's the best way to lay out combat? Theater of the mind, grid maps and miniatures, or a balanced mix?
>>
>>47545872
I considered that too but last time I considered that and asked this thread about it they told me that DMPCs are generally an unwise idea. I still keep it as an option but try to avoid it if the can.
>>
>>47545511
>"Treated as" for purposes of using an object is not the same as "IS"

In the context of "treating as", you're treating it in relation to the rules that apply to ranged weapon attacks. You're a terrible rules lawyer.

>If it was a weapon it would be in the weapons table, it would do 1d4+str damage on impact etc etc

Not all improvised weapons use 1d4. Read how improvised weapons work.

>>47545616
>improvised weapons aren't weapons shitposter
Oh, it's this dumb asspie again. Cite some rules then that enforce your point, oh wait, you can't because you don't have a book and you don't know how to read.

Also, he said "If" you worthless illiterate. Do you want a little bitty flowchart so it doesn't confuse you?
>>
Daily reminder to hide and ignore shitposters
>>
>>47545956
Now now, while I understand your frustration and agree with your point, there's no need to start the new thread with insults and name-calling.
>>
>>47545941
I make DMPCs all the time, sometimes the party just needs a little boost, just as long as you make sure they're the ones that shine
>>
>>47545372
>be starting out in a dungeon
>just added some gay guy to our group, good RPer
>first room he finds is ornate chest
>trickster rouge uses mage hand to open the chest
>"you see at least 2000 gold in there"
>guy decides to take it
>dm asks "are you SURE you want to do that?"
>gives him an obvious ISHYGDDT look
>decided to take gold
>fails dex save
>loses his hand
>rouge kills mimic while gay druid cries in the corner over his hand
>tries to pray to his god to restore it
>DM has him roll a d100, gets a 50-something
>"your god doesn't answer"
>basically just quits the group after that
>>
>>47546031
>quitting after losing a hand
>as a druid

He missed out on a badass living wood hand
>>
>>47546031
>losing your hand for one failed dex save
Yeah, I'd leave too
>>
>>47546085
>>47546077
Uh, I mean, what he said
>>
>>47546031
>Mimics
>lose a hand on a dex save
I would probably have left just at the mimic part, fuck your 1E holdovers
>>
>>47546077
>>47546105
>playing CoS
>using dark powers rules
>have a custom terror track for each player
>none of them has died or failed a powers check yet

Goddammit, I really need to kill these guys

Good thing next session is Death House Part 2
>>
>>47545941
A DMPC is a tool, as long as you don't see it as your way of playing the game and just as a way to supplement the players it's all cool.
>>
>>47546152
>Playing Ravenloft to intentionally dick the players over
This is why people would recoil in horror at the thought of playing RL in 2E. You could make compelling, fun stories and shit, but half the time it was just an excuse for DMs to be assholes.
>>
>>47546031
>people still trap chests in dungeons
I swear this was falling out of style in 1996, but here we are.
>>
>>47546027
>>47546163
Ok then. Then what I will do is ask the party to make sure it's ok with them and then roll with it if they are.

If I do make one, I'll probably make a war cleric half orc. That way it's reasonable for them to sit out most social interactions and such.
>>
>>47546285
Them being the DMPC, not the players.
>>
>>47546245
You do know what terror tracks are right? All of these guys have backstories that tie into the whole thing, I adapted when black roses bloom and built two more adventures, printed full-color maps, custom miniatures, translated and updated dark powers rules, built a world, a pantheon and have a huge overarching plot involving the GOOlock's patron, the bard's murdered family, the fighter's PTSD and the ranger's curse he doesn't know about a bunch of other stuff

I want to make them into victorian horror heroes, not dick them over
>>
File: 1401097695115.gif (2 MB, 400x215) Image search: [Google]
1401097695115.gif
2 MB, 400x215
>>47546031
It went a bit differently with us

>missed first game-night so I'm lvl 1 and everyone else is lvl 2
>find chest in a cave
>get the great idea to trigger it from a safe distance
>nobody objects
>everyone thought they would be like DS mimics
>arms, legs, getting up "slowly", that sorta thing
>a lvl 1 monk standing alone in a cave, intensely staring a chest and aiming with a dart
>5 lvl 2 PCs watching the events unfold from behind a corner a couple meters back

>mfw nobody expected the chameleon-esque tongue
>mfw it took a bite out of my side
>mfw I needed a blood-mage to cast a dialysis spell on me every couple days until my god granted me a new kidney
>>
>>47545868
<theater of the mind
Please just say "verbal description." Please.
>>
>>47546390
Unfortunate situations make for the best stories, hence why I like to give people permanent injuries
>>
>>47546461
My apologies. I didn't know there was anything wrong with calling it "theater of the mind" since that's the way I usually hear it described.
>>
>>47546501
>>47546461
There isn't anything wrong with it. It's been used to refer to playing tabletop RPGs without battlemats or other visual aids for years now.
>>
>>47546258
Literally the only times I've seen mimics in play was BG2 and someone who decided to run a 1E module and picked wrong (we ended up scrapping the game halfway and getting our 1E kick with Secret of Bone Hill)
>>
>>47546390
>DM starts using illusions and traps and hidden monsters everywhere
>entire party has ten foot poles
>intensely scrutinizing the floor, walls, ceiling
>using sturdy metal jacks to wedge every doorway open (even those without doors) just in case, going back at least three rooms
>mirrors around corners
>bullseye lanterns everywhere
>no object is ever directly handled by PCs, it's always other manipulating objects or summons
>dragging the rescued princess out of the dungeon at the end of a rope just in case she bestows a curse on someone upon being touched or is actually a monster in disguise
>don't even bother with the rest of the dungeon because we assume there's a time limit and we're already over from having tapped every fucking cobblestone with a pole five times
It only took a one hour dungeon run turning into a completely pointless three session slog for the DM to cut that shit out. Turns out PCs who are aware of common adventuring traps and are ACTUALLY doing their absolute damnedest to stay alive aren't actually fun to play or DM for.
Now we run screaming through dungeons, bellowing challenges to whole rooms of creatures at once, because the only traps and dastardly surprises are the ones we prepare for them instead. This is a much more fun game.
>>
File: the_pursuer.jpg (886 KB, 1064x1467) Image search: [Google]
the_pursuer.jpg
886 KB, 1064x1467
I've got the itch to try to craft a character inspired by the pursuer from dark souls 2.Three general questions come to mind.

1) What class/classes would help to assemble this goal?
2) What sort of magic items would I aim to seek during the campaign?
3) What would be a passable way to flesh out the story of a character described so vaguely?

Right now I'm thinking based off the character wielding a magic greatsword, curse resistant greatshield, some sort of magic item giving levitation and safety while falling, and some capability (innate or from a magical item) to unleash a barrage type spell of weak projectiles. Bonus point for companion giant eagle for transport or a means to create a mirror image of himself to fool foes.

For motivation I see it boiling down to a character with a passionate quest to pursue and destroy the undead (or a different setting/plot appropriate foe) but as to whom would command this knight I am uncertain.

Thoughts? Advice? Anon you are being a faggot again?
>>
>>47546501
That's how I'd describe it to new players. It gets the point across.

Also it works because like >>47546522
says, my groups never use battle mats because we're too cheap.
>>
>>47546593
Vengeance
Paladin
>>
>>47546593
First start as a great weapon fighter
Then level ranger and get favored enemy: undead
THEN level Paladin as you see fit.
>>
Hey /tg/, second time 5E player and looking to see if anyone has any tips, tricks or build suggestions to boost out a character theme I'm going for, DM is supportive enough so I should be able to make this work. Looking to make an Necromancer, of course not typically evil so to still fit in with the rest of the party members, more lawful selfish than anything else. Ultimate goal is to master necromancy until he can resurrect his dead adoptive daughter/niece who died young. For now, just the typical wizard with four zombie bouncers kind of guy.

Another player has expressed interest in joining in my build. I'm going Human Wizard Necromancer, he is going Human-Revenant Oath-breaker Paladin. Themed to be the Necromancers older brother and robust warrior, who passed and was reanimated as a Sentient-Skeleton knight to lend his strength in the joint quest to resurrect his daughter. DM was willing to tweak Revenant to instead of having a target to get vengeance on, is linked to the necromancer being alive.

Generally so far all we have is Level 8 group, Wizard Necromancer to gain the obvious +Wizard level to HP, and +Prof to hit. Revenant Paladin boosts them to have his +Cha to damage, and further supports using Inspiring Leader to give them +Level+Cha to Temp HP on a select few of them in lieu of party members, making even the humble skeleton a tough cookie with 32HP pool, +7 to hit for 1d6+5 on attacks.

Are there any tools, feats, spells, rituals or anything else we can pack into this gimmick, since I'd rather not make my undead better via just adding more bodies to the mix as that will clunk up combats too much with useless bodies.
>>
>>47546698
>not just straight Paladin
>>
Are these stats good for a lv1 half-orc bard?
I want him to go college of valor eventually.
Str: 12 (+2)
Dex: 14
Con: 12 (+1)
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 15
>>
>>47546738
Ouch, did you roll for those?

Can you move them around?
>>
>>47546738
You might have a rough time for a while.
>>
File: whatthehell.jpg (288 KB, 1041x823) Image search: [Google]
whatthehell.jpg
288 KB, 1041x823
As someone who doesn't know too much about 5e (or D&D in general for that matter), how would I go about making a Kamen Rider type character?

I've heard that there are conjured weapons but is conjured armor also a thing?
>>
>>47546789
yeah I can, how can I make them viable?
>>
>>47546738
>>47546807
15 str
10 dex
12 con
8 int
12 wis
14 cha

Pick up heavy armor at level 4 for 18 str, in the meantime play full support
>>
>>47546738
If I were to do it, I would make it the following:

Str 14 (+2)
Dex 14
Con 11 (+1)
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 12

Then take your ASI in cha until you get it to a level you feel comfortable with.
>>
How does /5eg/ prefer to come up with stats for their characters?

Standard array? Point buy? 4d6d1?
>>
>>47546804
Yup, Mage Armor could definitely be fluffed as such. You'd probably be looking at a Warlock to get the martial prowess, although an Eldritch Knight would serve just as well, depending on if you want to be more casting or more slashing.
>>
>>47546804
Eldritch Knight with Demon Armor, Heward's Handy Haversack and Boots of Springing & Jumping. Get the spells mirror image and Enhance Ability, both extremely good spells.
Most DMs would probably allow you to use one of your bound weapon slots as for Armor, since you get two as an Eldritch Knight.

Eldritch Knights are amazing at mid and high levels, kinda basic at lower levels though, but that might not be a terrible thing for a newbie.
>>
>>47547149
My group uses point buy because I have them build their characters on their own
>>
>>47546501
>>47546522
It's a weird and pretentious way of saying "use your imagination." It's bad. And just because some people have been using it for years doesn't make it any less bad.
>>
>>47547149
8str8, standard if they puss out or know exactly what they want.

Not a fan of point buy or 4d6d1.
>>
>>47547266
8str8?
>>
>>47547149
I'm OK with the array. I generally let my players choose, but recommend first time players use the array or roll 2d6+6.

I know it's lame, but I've outgrown equating being a hardass with being a good DM.
>>
>>47545956
Oh, it's this poster who not only reeks of autism but also projects the diagnosis he refuses to accept onto others.

Try not to lose control and veer into an autistic rage again.

Thread topic: Are the Barbarian class features are an allegory to asperger's syndrome?
>>
File: 1419579013619.gif (2 MB, 245x281) Image search: [Google]
1419579013619.gif
2 MB, 245x281
>DnD
>not D&D
>>
File: ohgodwhy.png (315 KB, 413x566) Image search: [Google]
ohgodwhy.png
315 KB, 413x566
>>47547310

>Triggered
>>
>>47547149
Depends on whom I play with. If I cannot trust everybody at the table to not get butthurt about perceived imbalance, I use an array. Normally the array in the book.

I prefer method V from the OG unearthed arcana for gonzo goodness.
>>
>>47547253
Fair enough opinion. I personally see nothing wrong with it, nor do I think it is pretentious. It's just another way of saying verbal description. However, I'm open to you explaining what's so bad about it if you're willing to.
>>
>>47547149
I prefer the array or pointbuy since it leaves ability scores just low enough to make it seem like a significant choice between ASI's and feats
>>
>>47547452
If you don't know why "theatre of the mind" sounds pretentious I don't think I can explain it you. It really doesn't need explaining.

Verbal description is a literal description of what happens at the table as you play. As opposed to using models, you just talk, you describe with words. There is no theatre involved. You are not acting, you are playing pretend. You are describing where in the dungeon room the orc is standing. "Theatre of the mind" is just the most unnatural way of saying imagination. It's fucking nonsense. That's not how people talk. Whoever coined that term was trying to sound fancy when they could have used a far more direct, literal and intuitively understandable term. That is the definition of pretentious.
>>
>>47547602
My players haven't started playing yet, but I had them roll scores. I feel like they came out too strong (lots of high rolls).

I want my players to have fun, but I don't want them to be power houses. Would it be wrong for me to make them re-do stats with the point buy system?
>>
>>47547288
>replying to a bookposter
>because of mean words
>doesn't post any book
>calls others autistic and mad

The faggot he was replying to deserved to be chastised way worse, and if you're that guy, follow your own advice.
>>
>>47547665
This post itself is more pretentious than saying "theater of the mind" ever is.
>>
>>47547669
I would just let them have their fun with what they have and do it differently next time if you didn't like how it turned out. Taking things like that away from players will probably just kind of cock blocks them, and the difference would even out at higher levels anyway. So long as they're mostly on the same level I wouldn't worry about it
>>
I need ideas for native planars to the outer plane of Bytopia. I'm thinking some sort of thing based around duality but not sure yet.
>>
File: 5e_OotA_Weapons_Derro-Weapons.png (502 KB, 547x477) Image search: [Google]
5e_OotA_Weapons_Derro-Weapons.png
502 KB, 547x477
>>47547670
Hmm, yeah, I see what you're saying. The best advice I can offer you is to perhaps take a razor blade to the bathroom and lock the door.

On an unrelated note, pic related: anyone have any clever implementations for these weapons, which any character with martial and simple weapon proficiency can wield with proficiency?

It seems to me like it's better to just shove. The athletics check for a shove is on average better than the 8+Str+Proficiency saving throw. I suppose that it's good for characters who don't have athletics proficiency.
>>
File: 1370718719834.gif (1 MB, 290x218) Image search: [Google]
1370718719834.gif
1 MB, 290x218
>>47547797
>Hmm, yeah, I see what you're saying. The best advice I can offer you is to perhaps take a razor blade to the bathroom and lock the door.

Mad as fuck.
>>
>>47546462
Also keeps players from doing dumb shit.
>>
>>47547694
>Nuh uh, your FACE is pretentious!

Yeah, nice counter argument, buddy. A real zinger. Really bowling me over with your unassailable logic.
>>
>>47546804
Read the book.
>>
May end up playing a bard in a lost mine of phandelver campaign,

never played a bard before, in any edition.

Any bard players wanna tell me how to build a bard/play a bard? Probably going to go into Valor school.

was thinking that a half-orc valor bard with a greatsword could be sweet. Either that or a Half-Elf
>>
>>47548350
You don't need a build since you won't go past 5th level.
>>
>>47548410
DM said depending on how the campaign went we may port those characters into something like out of the abyss (obviously he'd scale all that shit up for lvl 5s)

i don't want a build really, builds are dumb in D&D. I mean that I just wanna hear from bard players how they play bards/what's good to do as a bard and all that stuff.
>>
What riding options besides Dogs do I have as a Halfling? Ponies?
>>
>>47548512
Giant wolf spiders.
>>
File: 5e_Build_Bard_Lore_Brangard.png (9 KB, 650x298) Image search: [Google]
5e_Build_Bard_Lore_Brangard.png
9 KB, 650x298
3rd time's the charm
>>47548350
>>47548459
>>47548410
Race: Half-Elf (Wood Elf descent)
Speed: 30ft
Darkvision: 60ft
Fey Ancestry: Advantage on charm saving throws; magic can't put you to sleep
Elf Weapon Training: Proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow
Languages: Common, Elvish, and one extra language of your choice

Background: Outlander
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: One type of musical instrument
Languages: One of your choice
Equipment: A staff, a hunting trap, a trophy from an animal you killed, a set of traveler's clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

Class Proficiencies:
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Violin, flute, lute
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Charisma
Skills: Stealth, Persuasion, Perception

Class Features:
Bard1 Spells:
Bard2: Jack of All Trades, Song of Rest
Bard3:
>Expertise: Stealth, Perception
>Bonus Proficiencies: Performance, Acrobatics, Animal Handling
>Cutting Words
Bard4: ASI
Bard5: Font of Inspiration
Bard6:
>Countercharm
>Additional Magical Secrets: Hunter's Mark, Lightning Arrow
Bard10: Magical Secrets: Swift Quiver, Conjure Woodland Beings
Bard14:
>Peerless Skill
>Magical Secrets: Longstrider, Tree Stride
Bard20: Superior Inspiration
>>
>>47548459
The hardest part is choosing the right spells and thinking of ways to use your skills.

For cantrips, Minor Illusion, Vicious Mockery and Message are always solid choices; Blade ward(pretty crazy if your DM allows you to declare that you always have it up when out of combat) and Thunderclap(insane environment damage out of combat) are alright for valor. Load up on pretty much all the ritual and crowd control spells, get Glyph of Warding especially.

If your DM allows it, craft glyphs up into a bag of holding(its a portal really) and don't be afraid to load buff or healing spells onto them with passwords for your players to use. If the DM allows free action speaking, the adventures can basically call out for spells from your glyph pile as a free action such as Healing Word and Dispel Magic. Enhance Ability also becomes insanely good, since it'll last the full hour without you needing to focus on it, you don't need a bag of holding for that one.
>>
>>47549064
>Blade ward(pretty crazy if your DM allows you to declare that you always have it up when out of combat)

That's retarded.
>>
>>47549064
>200gp healing words
no thanks bucko
>>
>>47549113
It's because cantrips are retarded, you can totally do that. Its just saying I shoot firebolts for an hour straight. I houseruled that you can use cantrips up to ten times your level a day until you have to make exhaustion saves.
>>
>>47549260
While you technically could, no DM worth their salt would allow that kind of flagrant abuse.
>>
>>47548070
Your post said "you're not *acting* you're (just) playing pretend"

Acting is a near synonym for playing pretend, but playing pretend is condescending and acting is more to the point. Theater of the mind is a bit dramatic, but is no longer than "verbal description" and evokes an imagine at least. My presentations at work are verbal descriptions, but they sure as shit ain't playing D&D.
>>
>>47545868
New to 5e and d&d in general.

I am starting a game with some friends who are comparitively veterans. I am looking to make a pirate captain or at least smuggler. Its a low magic campaign set in !carribean.

How would i best go about this?
>>
>>47549814
Do all your friends and especially the DM a favor and read the Player's Handbook, then maybe ask again.
>>
>>47549814
Make a Rogue and go Swashbuckler from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
>>
In an effort to try and improve the transmuter, I was thinking of making the following changes to the Minor Alchemy feature. I added the ability to make minor alterations to your or another's face (fits the later focus on shapeshifting) and I also added gold to the list of materials you can temporarily change other materials into. The main purpose is for shenanigans, and for crafting; you could transmute iron into gold, shape it easily, and then break concentration. It would allow the transmuter to shape iron easily without the need for a forge. You could repair weapons or use it for artistic creation. It's useful and encouraged creativity but is not game breaking, in my mind. What do you think?

Minor Alchemy
Starting at 2nd level when you select the School of Transmutation, you can temporarily alter the physical properties of one creature or non-magical object you can touch. If the target is a creature and willing, you can change it's basic appearance, such as altering its face or changing the color or length of its hair. After 1 hour, or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell), the target's appearance reverts to its original form. If the target is an object, you can change it from one substance into another. To do so, you perform a special alchemical procedure on one object composed entirely of wood, stone (but not a gemstone), iron, copper, silver or gold, transforming it into a different one of those materials. For each 10 minutes you spend performing the procedure, you can transform up to 1 cubic foot of material. After 1 hour, or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell), the material reverts to its original substance.
>>
Why is Tyranny of Dragons considered so bad again?

The dad of one of my players might be joining our table soon, and he used to AD&D. The only thing he really remembers is Tiamat, so I thought it'd be a good idea to run something he might recognize.
>>
Alright, /5eg/
I want to make a few archtypes and have no idea what the fuck I'm doing as far as they go Mostly due to my current toaster crashing when it tries to into PDFs
Can I have a basic guideline layout for doing so with Fighter, please?
>>
>Disguise Self
>To discern that you are disguised, a creature can use its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC.

So, if you pass the DC, do you just know they're disguised magically, or do you automatically see through the disguise at their real appearance?
Is there any other more general text to confirm it?
>>
File: Student.jpg (39 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
Student.jpg
39 KB, 852x480
>>47547253
>He doesn't refer to role playing as "hypothetical mental self examination"
>>
>>47550540
I was under the assumption they know you're disguised magically, but not who you are. Though I can see it being the other way as well.

Both are valid and now I'll probably use both outcomes depending on what I think will lead to cooler moments at the time.
>>
Any good apps for making maps on the iPAD?
>>
File: dark sun art.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
dark sun art.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
New DM here, anybody here ever run a Dark Sun campaign, especially in 5e? It sounds fucking sweet, but I'm curious what the best resource would be for learning about the setting. The Wiki is barely filled in. I heard the 2nd edition kit is a bit light on lore and setting, and I don't have much need for 2nd edition stats. Are the 4th edition books any good?

Also, any good stories from your Dark Sun campaigns?
>>
Woo! I just published my first homebrew on dmsguild!
>>
>>47550481
3rd level: large feature that defines how the archetype fights. Champions get an expanded crit range, Battle Masters get maneuvers, EKs get spells, PDKs get a lackluster support feature.

7th: In most cases, a ribbon feature. Something that doesn't impact combat significantly but provides a unique ability that that type of fighter is capable of.

10th: A small combat feature. BMs get stronger superiority dice, champions get a second fighting style, and EKs can impose disadvantage on a save against their spells.

15th: Another combat feature, more significant than 10th. EKs get a teleport with Action Surge, Champions get another crit range increase, and BMs get a little more longevity to their superiority dice.

18th: Another combat feature. Its power varies greatly between archetypes (champions have by far the strongest).
>>
>>47550481
Fighter is one of the more complicated ones but as long as you follow a few guidelines it should be fine:

Lv3: The meat, this skill defines the subclass (like manouvers for BM, extra crit range for champ and spellcasting for EK) you want this to be unique or to borrow another class' signature skill reduced to 1/3 effectiveness

Lv7: This level is a social/noncombat ability tied to your subclass' stereotype, usually bonuses on a set of skills or the ability to gain bonuses to exploration and roleplay. This is usually called a "ribbon"

Lv10: will usually build upon your lv3 skill to make it more effective or easier to do, or will build upon one of your regular fighter features

Lv15: same as lv10, but may also have something of its own. The EK gains teleportation for instance

Lv18: this is your lesser capstone, so it should be an appropriately thematic subclass skill that also makes use of your prowess as a fighter. Make sure to showoff your creativity here
>>
>>47546804
It's homebrew from the /tg/ archive but it's worth looking at. Skip to page 4. You'll need the Power Fist augment and Transmutation augment but that'll give you a good melee weapon and your armor will have the ability to transmute into regular clothing, switching into armor on command. Overall it's a decent archetype
>>
>>47551233
I like how these start out pretty badly written but each one is a little better
>>
>>47551357
The Magitech Templar's augments or the content in general? I've noticed some are pretty lame but others seem fine
>>
Continuing work on the Automata rules I mentioned a few threads back. For background, I'm looking to implement constructs/beasts of burden in the style of Iron Kingdoms using the 5e rules.

I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far for controlling and giving orders to an Automaton, but I'm playing with rules for giving orders to an uncontrolled automaton. I'm looking to reword the following, but I wanted to know if /5eg/ thinks I'm on the right track:
> An Automaton can be given instructions by any character capable of speaking a language the Automaton understands. As an action, any Character may give an order to an uncontrolled Automaton by speaking a command and making a DC10 Intelligence (Arcana) Check. On a success, the Automaton follows its new orders; on a failure, the Automaton continues its previous behavior.
> If multiple Characters attempt to give orders to an uncontrolled Automaton at the same time, the Intelligence (Arcana) Check becomes contested. The Automaton will follow the orders of the winner of the Contest. However, most Automata are not intelligent enough to parse multiple contradictory sets of orders at the same time: after the contest is resolved, but before any orders are followed, the Automaton must make a DC15 Intelligence Save. The Automaton has disadvantage on this Save if 3 or more Characters are attempting to give it orders. On a failure, the Automaton pauses to parse its new instructions: it is Incapacitated for 1d4 rounds, after which it will follow its orders normally.
Any initial thoughts? For background, Automatons are treated as improved familiars/beast companions. They are class-independent, but rely heavily on a Character's Intelligence score.
>>
>>47551637
>Any initial thoughts?

You're an idiot for not including your previous work in a pastebin or something as a frame of reference.
>>
>>47551669
> Bawwwwwwwww
There is no pastebin. The original post is at >>47421676. In the event that the link gets struckthrough, here's the outline in its entirety:
In the interest of giving characters something to do with their Intelligence score besides skill checks and Wizard spells, I'm looking at making rules for automatons, basically as improved familiars with combat abilities. The rules are intended to be loose enough to apply to other settings, though, so you could practically have a giant ape or somesuch in the same way.

The outline I have so far:
> Automata receive an NPC statblock. By default, active automata will defend themselves only when attacked and take no other actions. They can be given simple commands as an action, which they will follow (on their own initiative) until they complete their orders, drop to 0 HP, or are given new orders.
> Automata can be bonded to via the use of a new spell, which can be cast as a ritual. A player character who knows this spell may cast it themselves; otherwise, they can generally pay the seller of the automaton to perform the Ritual for them. Most Automata have a minimum Intelligence score requirement in order to be bound to a controller.
> Bonding with an automaton allows it to be given new commands at the beginning of its turn. It still acts on its own initiative.
> The controller of a bound automaton can use their reaction (on the automaton's turn) to activate special abilities, listed in the automaton's profile. Example abilities include multiattack, enhanced AC, advantage on one attack, or using the automaton as the origin point of a spell. Activating a a special ability generally requires an intelligence check; if failed, the automaton follows it's most recent orders.

I'd say I hope you're happy, but who the fuck would I be kidding?
>>
File: Ryuutama Battle.png (130 KB, 960x576) Image search: [Google]
Ryuutama Battle.png
130 KB, 960x576
>>47547253

D&D is weird in that grid-based combat is in the PHB as a "variant rule" but combat rules are very heavily based on distance for things like ranged attacks, attacks of opportunity, and so forth. Theater of the mind combat in my experience just turns into a ton of "So how far away did you say that bugbear was again? Am I close enough to hit him??"

Grid-based plays much better but obviously requires more prep time to set up and game time to keep track of.

I really like Ryuutama's system. It uses a frontline/backline system similar to that used in video games like Etrian Odyssey.
It's not simulationist at all but it keeps things clear for players, and fast and loose for the DM.
>>
>>47548512
Boars, wolves, giant weasels, giant wasps
>>
>>47548544
>>47551908
Any more desert-themed options?
>>
File: Heartseeker.jpg (49 KB, 596x435) Image search: [Google]
Heartseeker.jpg
49 KB, 596x435
>>47551923
Big fuckin' stingray.
>>
>>47551923
You could fluff a giant poisonous snake as a sandworm.
>>
>>47551923
Giant lizard, giant goat, giant boar.
>>
>>47550902

Anybody?
>>
File: Nymphology. Blue Magic.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Nymphology. Blue Magic.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47551233
>Blue Mage isn't pdf related

Why
>>
>>47546285
I did a similar thing, I made a monk that is a foreigner to their land. His curiosity encourages the players to ask me more things about the setting, they like his personality, and it falls to them to deal with NPCs socially since he knows little of the land and customs.
>>
How much running water does it take to harm vampires? Would a downpour be enough?
>>
>>47552423
That weakness is based on the folklore of vampires not being able to cross running water. So, think less like rain and more a stream or river. A downpour won't hurt them--if it did it would be extremely silly, considering how rainy Barovia is.
>>
>>47552423
>running water
>not throwing rice or other small objects at them instead

They can always find a way across the water, but it's hard to stop counting in a timely fashion
>>
>>47552423
>>47552454
My problem is my party is in the process of tracking down St Andral's Bones, and that story runs into 6 Vampire Spawn, which is quite the prospect for 3 level 3 characters.
>>
>>47552541
If they talk to the coffin seller during daytime, he doesn't put up a fight and the vampire spawn aren't at risk of fighting the party directly. Once darkness falls after the bones are put back in the church, the spawn are likely to skip town since Strahd's plans are ruined.

Just be sure to have the coffin maker really drill into them how terrifying these creatures are, that they either want to wait it out or get plenty of help.
>>
>>47552694
Based on their rate of progress, they're likely to reach the coffin maker by nightfall. I might be able to run a race to the church, bones in tow and beset by the vampires as fun though. Would that be survivable.
>>
>>47537967
>>47537946
idk if it came up yet but hex doesn't do what this anon is suggesting, just so we're all clear

sorry catching up on everything still, but just, fighter anon, make sure you read hex because it doesnt give people disadvantage on saving throws
>>
Looking for a bit of advice on a plot string I have going.

I'm DMing a campaign where a convent of witches are the central antagonist. Early on, the heroes thwarted the sea hag that they managed to isolate but the heroes never explored their lair due to looming threats. Now they're returning to her sea cave lair to seek evidence on their next target.

Would it be weird to have hags communicate by sending letters or the like? I want them to find some evidence, but the combination of the magic nature of hags alongside the irrational nature of a sea hag makes finding letters and notes somewhat awkward imo.
>>
>>47550459
i don't have the patience right now to get into it but just google something like "fixing tyranny of dragons" and you'll find a shit ton of blog posts about how to fix it. basically the beginning doesnt make any sense and none of the encounters are properly balanced.

but i think its actually pretty fun, i had a group who started it and i was really excited to do it but it fizzled out quick and my new group is doing princes of the apocalypse, which, while also fun. idk. having heard stories about hotdq, i kind of wish we had stuck with that. sounds fun. caravans, floating castles, 1v1 me half dragons. idk. i think its just a lot of work to make actually good.
>>
>>47552948
>a convent of witches

Do you mean a coven? I'm fairly certain most witches don't have a religion organized enough to support a monastery dedicated to their gods. And if they did, it would probably be fairly profane.

Fuck, I meant to make fun of your post but now I have a plot hook.

As for the communication thing, if you're up for a bit of humanization, you could have them be sisters and talking about sisterly stuff apart from being evil, cannibalistic witches (new recipes for cooking captives, spells for attracting handsome males to eat, gossip about that bitchy siren that lives off the coast, etc.)
>>
>>47553004
Well glad to see we both benefit from this. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>47551841
5e is best when you have both combat on a grid and theater of the mind depending on the plot relevance of the encounter and how it plays out.

Grids are for small amounts of creatures and important battles.

Theater of the mind makes hordes reasonable, and speeds simple encounters along.
>>
Hex or square grid?

I've always played square but Hex seems to make much more sense to me.
>>
>>47553130
Hex. Muh battletech spoiled me for movement in more than 4 directions
>>
>>47553130
If I'm going to use grids it's always going to be hex.

Chances are I'm not going to use the grid that much, but my maps are almost always on grid paper anyway.
>>
File: 1360446197163.gif (2 MB, 320x454) Image search: [Google]
1360446197163.gif
2 MB, 320x454
>>47553130
Tape measure.
>>
File: modron race v0-1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
modron race v0-1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Just made some playable modrons, with /tg/'s help on the artwork.

Let me know what you think.
>>
Where are good places to look for a group for online play? I've tried to play with friends but they're all too flakey, we've tried to do 3 different campaigns and by the third or fourth session people stop turning up.
>>
>>47553412
I just want you to know, that I print your stuff out and keep it in the table codex. I have a player who would LOVE to play as a modron, so this one is getting printed in full color!

Have you made an ooze race? One of my players made a deal with a dark deity. Ghaunadaur is the deity to be exact and race is Ghaunadan.
>>
>>47553479
Try playing at the hobby shop and hosting your games there. Online pick up groups suck for anything other than one shot adventures.
>>
>>47553554

Don't have any anywhere near me sadly.
>>
>>47553570
Well, just hosting it in a public place is good enough to improve your player count. Look for a cafe, library or bar. If you can drink and smoke there, that's even better.

Turns out, people show up a lot more to games if its somewhere public, rather than a basement of a stranger.
>>
>>47553479
Roll20.net.
>>
>>47553524

Thanks! Love to hear about people enjoying my stuff.

>Have you made an ooze race?

Not yet. I think the next thing I'm going to make will be myconids. After I revise my current material, of course.
>>
So if I'm a Fighter with a longsword, is there any point to not taking Dueling vs Two Handing with Great Weapon Fighting?
>>
I've been looking through some older DnD stuff for inspiration as to what to run for my group next. Spelljammer sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Has anyone run a Spelljammer 5e campaign?
>>
>>47553412
That's a beautiful and well-balanced homebrew anon, I'm jealous
>>
>>47554243
If you have a longsword and shield dueling and defense are the best styles hands down
>>
File: 1337423722089.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1337423722089.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>Scare players with my DMPC.
>7 foot tall skeletal abomination in black feathered armour.
>Looks like a incredibly tall human with the head of a goat or something and red glowing eyes.
>Everyone assumes he's going to fuck them over or be some Warlock's pet or something.
>Is basically a skeleton version of Mr. Rogers and they all end up loving him.
>>
>>47550902
>>47552119
Just play Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG6FZsqm4q0
>>
>>47554243
Because you want to live forever using a shield and Shield Master.
>>
File: image.jpg (203 KB, 700x684) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203 KB, 700x684
>>47551132
>>47551220
H-here I go...!

landsknecht: Pragmatic masters of the blade, these warriors waste no time attacking when they see an opening, and have mastered the art of channeling their allies' abilities to hit harder.

3rd level: At the beginning of your turn, you may call a damage type from Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder, Acid, or Psychic. let me know if I missed a non-weapon element
Any time an ally does the called type of damage to an enemy you can attack, as an immediate reaction, you can attack the enemy again, doing an additional 1d8 plus your Intelligence modifier of damage of the called type.

7th level: you gain advantage on dexterity checks and saving throws, including initiative and skill checks involving dexterity.

10th level: you can make a second attack of opportunity every round. Your additional damage for called damage types raises to 2d8 plus your intelligence modifier

15th level: You can add an additional damage types to your called elements, and can use both damage types when calculating your extra attacks. You gain advantage on and cannot get disadvantage on attacks of opportunity.

18th level: When you use your action surge, until initiative ends, you double your possible attacks of opportunity for the round, and when you attack an enemy, they provide advantage on attacks against their AC and gain disadvantage on all spell saves until the end of the current round.
>>
>>47555681
Okay, a few critiques:

1- you should stick to "elemental" damage types, so Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder, Acid, Poison

2- Re-word the reaction attack, it makes no sense as is, I get it but you need tighter wording. Look at the sentinel and/or polearm master feats

3- Advantage on dex saving throws is a combat ability, lv7 needs to be noncombat

4- fix the wording in general, try to use key phrases from published materials
>>
>>47553412
That story at the start of the PDF turned me on so hard. You ever consider writing a book?
>>
>>47555681
>>47555759
Also I would make the damage type increase 1d8 to 1d10, not 2d8, to keep consistent with superiority dice
>>
>>47555759
Okay. This is my first foray into homebrew, so thank you.
I forgot poison was a damage type. I feel like a total dumbass. Would radiant and necrotic work for that effect as well?
Essentially how I want to do the class is they run off triggered attacks, and while acting as a formidable offensive force, they're kinda shit without some other source of damage, and the end result is at most four attacks of opportunity every round of combat, if that makes sense.

It isn't too powerful or too weak, is it?
I was thinking of making the 18 a "for the round, and you can use it an equal number of times to your strength modifier per short rest."
>>
>>47555808
As for the 2d8, I felt 1d10 was a little low of an increase from 1d8 for seven levels worth of work without another increase to look forward to.
>>
>>47555813
I would exclude radiant, psychic, necrotic and force because those are more specialized

I have to be brief because I'm at my brother's graduation but I'll help more later
>>
>>47555853
Okie dokie.
Thanks anon, and good luck.
>>
File: Autism.png (1 MB, 800x474) Image search: [Google]
Autism.png
1 MB, 800x474
>>47546461
>>
File: 1460031391229.jpg (55 KB, 300x340) Image search: [Google]
1460031391229.jpg
55 KB, 300x340
>>47546528
>playing in "dungeons"
>>
File: absolutelsa disgusting.jpg (155 KB, 956x856) Image search: [Google]
absolutelsa disgusting.jpg
155 KB, 956x856
>>47546731
>Looking to make an Necromancer
>lawful selfish
>Ultimate goal is to master necromancy until he can resurrect his dead adoptive daughter/niece who died young. For now, just the typical wizard with four zombie bouncers kind of guy.
>>
>>47549064
>If your DM allows it, craft glyphs up into a bag of holding(its a portal really)

LOL are you retarded?

What DM would allow that?

Ahahahahahahaha

You autistic fucking idiot ahahaha
>>
>>47550481
Get a job and buy a computer that works.
>>
>>47549064
Wat
>>
>>47550935
Link it here so we can tell you it's shit.
>>
>>47551637
You're an idiot.
>>
>>47556020
Bills and rent eat up all my income. I make like 100 bucks of extra disposable every pay and most the time it goes to dealing with car stuff
>>
What would be a good name for a school of Dwarven martial arts?
>>
>>47556128
School of the frozen peak
The unmoving stone
the unyielding rock
Drunken master
>>
>>47556128
Grudgewank
>>
>>47556128
Wielder of the inner axe.
>>
>>47556128
Git'Te'Fuk
Puwch acunt
Edbuht thetaint.
>>
so what do people here think of the latest Blood Hunter version from Mercer?

I really like it.
>>
>>47556181
I'm more interested in his Gunslinger.
And when he'll violently decapitate his girlfriend's character for being such a fucking snoozefest.
>>
>>47556211
she's pretty cool in combat, but yeah, not so much out of combat
>>
>>47556234
Anyone with Druid powers can be cool in combat.
But it says leagues when Yogscast's D&D stream's Druid (played by someone who has had ZERO prior knowledge of the game) is more entertaining than Keyleth both in and out of combat.
>>
alright /tg/, I come to you for general advice

new D&D game, seems to be loosely based on WWI. We have a dork cleric/paladin, and either a rogue or wizard so far

played a HElf Swordlock last game, super smooth dude. Wanting something different this time.

What are your favorites so far?
>>
>>47556347
I'm currently playing a Bard that has successfully fooled his party into thinking he is a cleric of Tymora.

I even sell fake potions. I put my hands on their shoulders and say a prayer while casting healing word. It's a lot of fun.
>>
How balanced is this? My goal was to make an abjuration cantrip that was capable of damage.

Unstable Field
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V,S
Duration: 1 round

You create a unsteady field of energy around you.
Until the start of your next turn, you get +1 AC.
If this difference turns a hit into a miss, the
spell effect collapses, and you may throw the
collapsing energy at the attacker as a reaction,
provided they are within 60ft. If you do so, make
a spell attack roll against the attacker. On a hit,
they take 1d4 force damage. At 5th level, increase
the AC by 1 and the damage by 1d4. Increase again at
11th and 17th level.
>>
>>47556360
I'm expecting faith healing charlatan shenanigans. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>47556384
Well, at least it's not overpowered, I guess.
>>
>>47556386
Already done. Healed an injured farmer in front of a shrine to Tymora in Phandalin. The priestess there questioned me, but I have +9 to deception.

Pretty sure one day this is going to bite me in the ass, though it is a hell of a ride!
>>
>>47556416
I'm honestly hoping at some point you have a crisis of faith and you actually pop a level into cleric or two.
>>
>>47556439
I'm open to my character moving into the good alignment. I don't want him to be a munchkin and go Life Cleric to make his healing insane, though.

I'll see where the dice take me.
>>
>>47556128
Way of the Bearded Fist

All you unarmed attacks are headbutt related.
>>
>>47556360
> I put my hands on their shoulders and say a prayer while casting healing word.

It's cute that you have no idea how magic works.
>>
Anyone has Curse of Strahd maps in JPG format, not as that huge PDF that is in trove?
I'm asking because there is one map missing from PDF... gridless barovia
>>
>>47556478
I wasn't even talking about Munchkining.
I was more thinking eventually the mask of cleric actually becomes him.
I'd love to see how his falsehood of faith actually becomes a real, tangible belief in Tymora and to just see what happens because of that.
>>
>>47556499
This pretty much explains the ways of my Dwarven Monk. Minus the wizard stuff.
>>
>>47556360
sadly already done in our first (and so far only) game of 5e. Not by me, but still.
>>
>>47556508
> ITT: no fun allowed
It must be a burden, being as great as you are.
>>
>>47553412
So, excuse me if I'm stating something obvious, I'm a newbie D&D GM trying to put together his first campaign, and I was trying to put some planescape elements in it.

Here's my worry here : are modron players supposed to also add their Dex modifier to their AC ? because it seems incredibly overpowered if they can, you end up with 11+Dexmod+Conmod, which is something even barbarians can't do, and my player who wants to play a modron is planning to make it a wizard, with mage armor... 13+Dexmod+Conmod seems OP as hell at level one, considering that he wouldn't need to eat, sleep, breathe, and couldn't become sick or poisoned

Still, thank you for the homebrew, it's very well made
>>
>>47557027
Multiple sources of AC do not stack unless it explicitly says so. The racial feature in the homebrew says 11+ Con mod, not 11+ Con mod + Dex mod.

For your group's sake, read the book more thoroughly before beginning your game .
>>
>>47555681
>Landsknecht
>Using magical damage types, and being Int based

I don't get it.
>>
>>47557104
It's a vidya thing. Also, words mean whatever anon wants them to mean.
>>
>>47557103
yea, but I just thought it was weird that modrons couldn't use their Dex mod to augment their AC, my group likes it when there's rp elements to justify the rules, and I can't think of anything that would prevent a modron to physically avoid an attack (as in, dodging the blow), which is what I imagine the Dex mod is for
>>
>>47557206
They can. If you have multiple sources of AC, you choose which one to use.
>>
>>47557104

I think it is an animoo thing. Like how all those japanese games use lances as inexplicably infantry weapons that sometimes also resemble corkscrews.
>>
>>47557104
I tried basing it off the similarly named class from a Vidya series.
They don't have an INT or WIS stat at all and instead have TEC, which covers everything from healing to magic damage to simply how much fire damage your fire sword lets out.
I'm all for suggestions for changes, of course.
The INT base isn't supposed to be super duper huge compared to what they let out with their weapons.
>>
>>47557161
>>47557251
>>47557412
>Animoo/Vidya

Oh okay.
I really wouldn't have any advice, I was just confused since when I think of a landsknecht I think more of a guy with a massive sword and flamboyant gear, as opposed to someone channeling magics.
Or a Zweihander wielder from Dark Souls
>>
File: image.jpg (488 KB, 1754x1240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
488 KB, 1754x1240
>>47557614
It's a bit of dumb lost in translation.
In the games in Japanese, the class was simply called SWORDSMAN in English.
Atlus changed the name up when it translated so it would have a similar flair as it did in the Japanese version.
The name change also made a lot more sense due to the fact that the "swordsman" class also had half their skillset reliant on using axes.
>>
Im also playing a bard next saturday. I was planning on going with the classic "spy" (Harper) roleplay: a cocky, charming goof who's smarter than he appears/acts. I dont wanna b annoying but i'd like him to have personality (16 CHA after all)...

Now i've read about >>47556360 and it sounds superfun. Gets my juices flowing. Makes me want to go for something bolder.

Do you guys have any ideas of the same caliber? Original ways of playing the character?

Hivemind FTW
>>
>>47557688
>I dont wanna b annoying
>Harper
Too late.
>>
>>47556515
Right now, he carries an eclectic collection of holy symbols. Just so happens that the town he is in worships Tymora mainly, so he ran with that upon arrival.

But yeah, I'd like to see him go that way, but we'll see what happens.
>>
File: 12133489258.png (259 KB, 524x478) Image search: [Google]
12133489258.png
259 KB, 524x478
>playing human cleric of Moradin
>got the dwarven axe from LMoP that hates trees
>got the belt of dwarvenkind
>tfw my character is now a dwarfaboo

The other players are joking with me saying my character might end up in Dwarfhome when he dies.
>>
>>47555887
>triggered.
>>
>>47557922
Don't worry Urist, your dwarven brothers will accept you with open arms.
Provided you don't clock your head on the doorway.
>>
I'm using Mercer's gunslinger archetype, what would I need to do to build him into a proper cowboy character, perfect for wrangling banditos?
>>
>>47558350
Give him a net. Ask your DM to let you refluff it as a lasso or bolas.
>>
>>47558412
>five foot ranged attack
Why is it so hard to make nets, chains, and lassos usable?
>>
>>47558446
Because you'd rather bitch on a Laotian Crosstitch Website than talk to your DM about it.
>>
>>47558446
Because they're not something any idiot can just swing around and use effectively.
>>
>>47558582
Well I mean even when you're trained with it, the rules always make it stupid hard to work with.
>>
>>47558582
Fighter
Proficiencies
>Nets
>and all the other weapons

>person who is explicitly trained with nets
>is some idiot who, try as he may to properly employ them, just swings them around ineffectively

Nice try, Wizards.
>>
>mage armor invocation is basically a free set of +2 studded armor for everyone in the party
>>
>>47558875
Is studded leather the best balance between AC and DEX for armor?
>>
>>47546804
Blade pact warlock with armour of shadows and tavern brawler.
>>
>>47558925
Breastplate isn't so bad either.

My games have a houseruled "Studded +1" set at the same price as Plate that's basically the playtest's Mithral Shirt, except as a Silk Jack.
>>
>>47558875
It's only on yourself and it's only basically a free set of +1 studded leather armor.
>>
>>47558925
Studded leather is the best armor for dex based characters, like rogues and dex based fighters.

>>47558875
You mean +1 studded leather, or +2 leather, since mage armor gives 13 + dex.
>>
>>47547126

starting with a +1 in your big spellcasting stat is almost certainly a bad idea.

>>47546738

You might be able to dump Dex if you can wear armor. That'll free up a lot of your ASIs.
>>
>clerics who forget they can turn undead.
>>
>>47560003
Dude, I've got a guy in my group so focused on his character's buddy - buddy relationship with his god that he doesn't even remember half his features. When your healbot forgets about Preserve Life entirely...
>>
File: Ihavethatmodel.jpg (64 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Ihavethatmodel.jpg
64 KB, 960x720
>>47545868
oh shit nigger, I actually have that model. Here's what it looks like when someone who actually knows what he's doing tries to paint it.
>>
So I'm running Out of The Abyss with a party of first-time players and wanted to upgrade Stool to an adult myconid as a DMPC. Would it be too much to give him Shillelagh in addition to the usual myconid features? I feel like having him rely on Strength or Dex too much ruins the character.
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 600x728) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 600x728
>>47555681
Fix attempt número uno.

>3rd level: At the beginning of your turn, you may call a damage type from Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder, Acid, or Poison.
Any time an ally does the called type of damage to an enemy adjacent to you, as an immediate reaction, you can attack the enemy again, doing an additional 1d8 plus your Strength or Dexterity modifier of damage of the called type.

>7th level: You grant advantage on ability checks requiring you to act quickly to your allies.

>10th level: you can make a second attack of opportunity every round. Your additional damage for called damage types raises to 1d12 plus your strength or dexterity modifier

>15th level: You can add an additional damage types to your called elements, and can use both damage types when calculating your extra attacks. You gain advantage on and cannot be disadvantaged on attacks of opportunity.

>18th level: Once per turn, as a bonus action, you may double your possible attacks of opportunity for the round, and when you attack an enemy, they grant advantage on attacks against their AC and gain disadvantage on all spell saves until the start of your next turn.
>You may use this ability a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier per short rest.

I changed the modifiers for the chase attacks, finagled with some of the wording, and lowered some dice.
I also changed the 18 so it's now a per turn bonus action that you can crank out based on your INT.
>>
>>47560545

And here are my fixes to your fix:

>3rd level:
At the beginning of your turn, you may call a damage type from Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder, Acid, or Poison.
If an ally inflicts damage of the chosen type upon a creature within your reach you may use your reaction to make an attack against the creature, inflicting extra damage equal to 1d8 + your Intelligence modifier.

>7th level:
TBA

>10th level:
You gain an extra Reaction per round. Furthermore, your [Lv3 feature] damage die increases to 1d12.

>15th level:
You may call an additional damage type when you use [Lv3 feature], and can choose which one to inflict when making the attack.

>18th level:
Making attacks as part of your [lv3 feature] does not use up your reaction.
>>
>>47561109
Oh this is peachy.
Thanks anon.
Now it's just a matter of naming stuff and the level 7.
Everything seem okay beyond that?
>>
>>47560489
What's wrong with running him as-is? The thing be wary of with dmpcs is that is used correctly they should never be anything more than notable NPCs. Unless the party is lacking a member or has been struggling in some area I don't really see a need to make him more than he is.
>>
>>47560213
Yours looks pretty bad to in all honesty.
>>
>>47561248
Honestly it seems slightly underpowered

I would maybe eliminate the need to call out an element and just do the damage of the same type as your ally does

Then change lv 3 to 1d6, lv10 to 2d6 and lv15 to 3d6 (or d8, d10 and d12) so it starts out a bit weaker by comparison but it ends up stronger
>>
>>47561298
See >>47546006
>>
>>47547669

You would come across as a total dick. Let them keep their good stats.
>>
>>47553394
you're probably just memeing but tape measure d&d has always really interested me, it just seems needlessly clunky for no real benefit.
>>
>>47556128
pretty much the only answer is Dwarven Boxing
>>
>>47560489
Just give him Poison Spray.

Stool is already so useful out of combat with the whole free translation spores thing, they don't need real combat ability
>>
How's this for a stat roll system:

>each player rolls a set of stats using 4d6 drop one
>the players can choose any set of stats that were rolled and allocate them as they wish
>>
>>47560213
Thin your paints. Check any of the guides on the WIP threads.
>>
>>47561358
The last bit I want to do is how Landies use their opportunistic fighting styles to fuck with enemies and make em easier to hit. Maybe granting a plus to allied attack rolls to enemies the Landy attacks for the round?
>>
Wizards are doing a thing on Twitch to announce the new storyline (Storm King's Thunder). wotc_dnd on Twitch.
>>
>>47562029
Stupid. One player will inevitably roll high and everyone will want that that array. Just use point-buy, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>47562221
>Storm King's Thunder
OMG Is that the King Lear campaign?
>>
Hey guys I posted about this las thread and didn't get much help, so I'm hoping you guys will be more helpful this time around. Could any of you direct me to a good 5E Artificer Homebrew? Something balanced, centered around building shit that does magicky stuff? I'd really appreciate it as I'm starting a campaign soon and one of my players wants to Artificer but we both find the official one a bit lacking.
>>
>>47562261
Man, you must be a sad fucking individual to be so hostile to anonymous as anonymous. Suicide might just be for you.

Anyway, the point would be that it wouldn't matter because if we're rolling for stats, then we're accepting the chance of someone rolling high stats. This way, everyone will be at the same power level and nobody will feel like they drew the short straw.

Not that it makes a difference, but I use point-buy nearly universally myself. Your assumptions are stupid and you are stupid.
>>
>>47562029
4d6b3 in order. Players may only switch their highest roll elsewhere.

That's what I found nice for my campaigns. There's people that whine about a 'high' number on a useless stat, and there's the Wizard of the group who uses his STR 14 to roleplay as a "not every Wizard is a shutin" kind of guy.
>>
Point buy can eat a dick.
>>
>>47562375
4d6b3?

What does this mean?
>>
>>47562475
Roll 4 six-sided die and use the best three rolls.
>>
So, homebrew question - I had this idea for having the Elves in my setting actually originate from the Ethereal plane - like, their cities and such are located there, rather than the physical.

Currently, I just have them statted as the Eladrin from the PHB. So here's my question:

Is there any concievable way to give a race the ability to turn Ethereal (maybe even once per short rest) without it being OP?

My thought was to let them cast Etherealness once per short rest, but limit them so they are unable to pass through physical obstacles like they can normally. Would that be a significant downgrade?
>>
>>47562517
Get Blink at first level 1/day. Then maybe at 18-20 they get etherealness.
>>
>>47562517
Easy. They can turn Ethereal once per short rest.

They cannot turn back until that short rest is up.
>>
>>47555001
What's Mr. Rogers?
>>
File: 1463079871662.jpg (52 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1463079871662.jpg
52 KB, 450x450
>>47562610
>>
>>47560545
That's a cute loli, can I have her?
>>
>>47562597
I actually really like this - it makes it less of a combat-suited ability and more of a utility one. Plus they have to decide "Is it REALLY worth being stuck for at least an hour in my home plane?"
>>
>>47562622

I duckduckgo'd it.

>Fred McFeely Rogers (March 20, 1928 – February 27, 2003) was an American television personality, puppeteer, educator, Presbyterian minister, composer, songwriter, author, and activist. Rogers was most famous for creating, hosting, and composing the theme music for the educational preschool television series Mister Rogers' Neighborhood (1968–2001), which featured his kind-hearted, gentle, soft-spoken personality and directness to his audiences.[1]

The more you know, I guess.
>>
Sorry I keep bringing this up, I know this isn't Critical Role general but why is Tiberius such a cheating autist faggot? Before this, this very same episode, he also was saying pillar of stone was a dex save that even if they made the save it did full damage when it says "if the target saves they aren't lifted by the pillar" which he interpreted as "well they just don't get pinned they still take the damage though.
https://youtu.be/zGaISHs2s7Q?list=PLqTT_VuffgDP0I6accl0jP5p3kxBRPVPa&t=13285
>>
File: make b8 gr8 again.jpg (158 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
make b8 gr8 again.jpg
158 KB, 1000x1000
>>47562668
>duckduckgo
>>
>>47556256
Is that a good campaign? Never watched it.

The whole Keyleth being boring thing is kinda ironic cause Marisha seems like a bad bitch out of character.
>>
>>47562689
>a caster doesn't understand their spells

stop the presses
>>
File: 1462261232726.png (489 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1462261232726.png
489 KB, 960x1280
>>47562625
No, you can have this one.
>>
>>47562359
Anyone?
>>
>>47562786
is that boy or a girl?
>>
>>47562752
Keyleth is actually pretty much a Miyazaki princess as druid Aang.

The party is entertaining, though the party and chat room as a whole got so sick of Tiberius being a shit they kicked Orion out.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-06-02 01.34.12.png (224 KB, 1928x1064) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-06-02 01.34.12.png
224 KB, 1928x1064
>>47562741
Yes?

>>47562786
I'll take her. But I really want the earlier one too...
>>
>>47562823
Yes.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/watch-dd-live-meltdown-comics

Anyone else watching this? Starts in about 20 mins, there is some pre-show stuff going on now. They are debuting a new story called Storm Kings Thunder, which is rumored to be the next book from WotC.

I'm interested to see the new adventure, and some of the people playing are actually funny comedians. Could be pretty good.
>>
File: 1462258955995.jpg (180 KB, 600x871) Image search: [Google]
1462258955995.jpg
180 KB, 600x871
>>47562823
Ricky is a girl!
Etrian Oddyssey for The DS. Based the landesknecht off That series's similarly named class. The first "Loli" is the Fencer class rep for the fifth game.
>>
>>47562758
It just makes me angry watching it. I get angry whenever I see players try and take advanatage of the DM. As a DM I want to believe everyone is sitting at the table to have fun, and be fair in following the rules and preparing for the game. When I see players metagame, or cheat, or not give a shit when preparing for the game then it makes me want to treat them like a bunch of animals that need to be kept in line.

Like I shouldn't have to train players how to not be fucking dicks and be respectful at the table using the same attitude that I use when teaching a dog not to pee in the house.
>>
File: PinkneyTreasureDragon.jpg (227 KB, 820x1064) Image search: [Google]
PinkneyTreasureDragon.jpg
227 KB, 820x1064
Any tips for playing this NPC, since the PCs are currently doing shit that might get his attention?

>One of the first dragons, a Red Dragon trapped under the sea for reasons
>Rules an undersea kingdom spanning four of the seven seas
>Has the world's second grandest hoard, and the greatest harem of morals- no, he isn't sharing
>Has hours worth of titles, endless waves of servants, has dozens of libraries of books, all that shit

>But he's starting to get bored, realizing that he's seen it all, and that his hoard is worthless, for he's nothing left to do with it
>Interested in the PCs only because they're known to be in battle with his brother, who he hates
>>
>>47561757
It makes it a lot easier to incorporate scenery into your game.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.