[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ever played a game where you or a party member was (plot twist)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: download (13).jpg (7 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
download (13).jpg
7 KB, 209x241
Ever played a game where you or a party member was (plot twist) the evil all this time ?
>>
I ran a game where I planned on having one of the party members pull an "ultimate betrayal" and steal the McGuffin to hand over to the BBEG. I made the worst mistake and actually told the player in question that I wanted him to do it, and he then proceeded to make it painfully obvious that he was an evil guy instead if laying in wait for the time in which I'd tell him to do it. Thankfully the game didn't last long, and in my defence it was near the beginning of my GMing career, so I very much doubt I would make the same mistake again. If I were to do it now it would probably hand off the job to an NPC, but even then the act of "ultimate betrayal" has to really be done right in order for your players to not feel totally cheated and go e up on the game. Something GMs should keep in mind is, pulling this kind of thing shouldn't be seen as "you weren't expecting that, now I win" but more as "didn't see that one coming, how will you solve this problem now?" And to make sure that there is an out the players can figure out in order to triumph. The game is supposed to be played together after all, and shouldn't turn into a GM vs PC scenario.
>>
>>47544357
The one time I played a monk, yeah, that was the plot.

He was actually an agent of a sinister cabal intent on restoring the Star of Darkness for their own nefarious purposes after it had been disrupted by heroes years ago.
>>
>>47544357

Yes, once, and i was the traitor.

What happened was that me and the Dm of the time often DM in turns. our adventure was coming to a close, and i was going too DM the next game soon. However, rather than start up a new game, i wanted to continue the plotline we had going, so my character (which was already slipping frm CN to CE) decided to stab the party in the back after the dragon was laid low and the day was saved. Not by killing them, but by knocking them out (with the help of some mercenaries) and stealing all the loot, and most of the dragon.

the next campaign was a long struggle against the evil sorceror and his force of simulacrum dragons, who was trying to first turn himself into a half-deamon (he already had some deamon blood, which is why he was a sorcerer), and then become the immortal emperor/high priest of some backwater kingdom.
>>
>>47544357
i played a rogue trader game where the whole party was traitors the whole time and we had a big dumb mexican standoff and shot eachother and until we all died the end
>>
>>47544357
Yes. But I I got over the "evil = interest and clever" a couple years ago.
>>
Every time I make a character I flip a coin to see if I'll have them easily just say fuck it and join a villain (usually far before I really know any details about any BBEG or whatever) if they actually ask along the lines of some cliche "we're not so different" speech. None of my group knows about this, and it hasn't really come up in any games so far in the 10 years I've been playing RPGs
>>
>>47544357
at the end of the Rogue Trader games I host, I have the players who have the most corruption vs those who have the least in a mutiny for control of the ship. They each get a set number of crew and other things they've picked up over the course of the campaign. It sort of plays out like a small risk game with heroes leading the forces.
>>
>>47544357
I played a ghost rider undead style chappie who called himself Penance.

NOBODY COULD HAVE SEEN THAT TWIST COMING OH MY GOSH
>>
I'm kind of betraying my DnD party, although I think it's for the greater good in the long run. I'll admit it will be difficult for them to see it that way from their point of view.
>>
No but every time I have a bad guy or demon make an offer to my players, they take it with little or no maneuvering.

Had two in a Only War game, a stormtrooper and psyker sell their souls to the first deamon that offered them power. One sold out for 5 wounds and a fate point, another for 3 more psyker power in a situation that the deamon even told them it could not harm them at the moment.
>>
>>47544796
>Something GMs should keep in mind is, pulling this kind of thing shouldn't be seen as "you weren't expecting that, now I win" but more as "didn't see that one coming, how will you solve this problem now?" And to make sure that there is an out the players can figure out in order to triumph. The game is supposed to be played together after all, and shouldn't turn into a GM vs PC scenario.

This is probably the best and most succinct advice I've ever seen about how to properly handle the "PC was the villain" twist, and I've been here since the board was born.
>>
>>47544357
I once played in a party of bad guys that all pretended to be good guys so they could betray the others
At the end I revealed that I was actually a good guy pretending to be a bad guy pretending to be good
It was good fun, some kind of freeform SF crossover game halfway between rpg and murder mystery party
We were handed pre-made characters
>An animu-overpowered cyber samurai bent on wiping out the replicants (coincidentally he tought we were all replicants)
>A hobo-murdering, mind-bending, soul-snatching, panty-dropping mad scientist
>The white-supremacist president of the united states, who was actually an alien emulating a global scale game of chess by eliminating every black person
>Jesus Christ (the one I played)
>>
File: 1334628464173[2].jpg (17 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
1334628464173[2].jpg
17 KB, 350x277
>>47544357
>Play good party
>Every single party member is secretly evil
>They're all hiding it from the other players
>Meanwhile, they all try to frame other players for their own evil actions
>>
>>47544357
Not evil but an agent for another city that was sending some of the ancient treasures and knowledge that were meant for the party's city to his city without anyone finding out because they were things that, at the time, were not the primary concern and just ended up being forgotten about by everyone else.
>>
>>47544357
One of the Banes in Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales reads as such:
Secret Agent (Bad Guy) (10)
You’re secretly working for a government whose interests do NOT align with the party. Your job is to make sure that the party doesn’t screw things up for your bosses. You can do it subtly, or you can do it overtly when the time comes, but if you fail you’re probably going to end up in a gulag somewhere. Talk to your GM about what exactly you’re trying to prevent the party from doing. It shouldn’t just be the main goal of the campaign unless you’re really into being a teamkilling fucktard but something secondary that the party could conceivably be persuaded not to do or prevented from doing without ruining their long term goals.

So this kind of thing can come up quite easily.
>>
>>47547480
I played a campaign in PF where I wasn't exactly evil, but I was scouting the area for possible colonization by another empire.
>>
>>47546853
I didn't know you were playing paranoia?
>>
>>47546186
Th-thanks.
>>
>>47544357
>Ever played a game where you or a party member was (plot twist) the evil all this time ?

I'm currently playing one where my I'm the actually evil one. Not hard when your a pragmatic noblewoman who generally doesn't empathize with others, supplying materials, equipment, and leadership to a group of magical girls.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.