[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>setting has big, blonde barbarians living in the north >of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>setting has big, blonde barbarians living in the north
>of course it looks like Siberia and not Scandinavia
>oriental kingdom is a mishmash of Japan and China
>paladins serve a 'Lord of Light, Fire God and similar Not Christian bullshit
>every desert country must look like Persia

fantasy is trash, it's all the same shit
>>
File: 1437255577814.jpg (593 KB, 2500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1437255577814.jpg
593 KB, 2500x1500
>ITT
>>
>every desert country must look like Persia
It would be actually cool if there would be more Persia and less Arabia in typical oriental fantasy.
>>
>>47538666
Never understood why anybody wants to including boring and retarded cultures with no history or myths (Persia, India, Central Asia, Russia, Africa, etc.) in games.

I play gamest to feel like a heroic legend, not some nameless mudfarming dindo.
>>
>>47538729
>Russia
>India
>Persia
>no history

are you fucking retarded?
>>
File: 1433096758599.jpg (69 KB, 639x476) Image search: [Google]
1433096758599.jpg
69 KB, 639x476
>>47538729
>no history or myths (Persia, India, Central Asia, Russia, Africa, etc.)
What am i reading right here?
>>
>>47538740
>>47538744
If these people had culture in the first place then why did colonists have to come and force culture on them at all?
>>
>>47538771

>trying to go full super-saiyan on your trolling so early in a thread.

Rookie mistake, you need to ease into the trolling bro
>>
>>47538544
You don't play games, so why do you care?
>>
>>47538771
0/10 see me after class
>>
the beauty of a generic setting is that it can allow the author/DM/whatever the freedom to write interesting scenarios/stories that aren't reliant on lengthy exposition or gimmicks
>>
File: 1449965196209.gif (2 MB, 257x300) Image search: [Google]
1449965196209.gif
2 MB, 257x300
>>47538771
As a fellow /pol/tard, I admire your enthusiasm, but one must learn subtlety brother.
>>
>>47539389
/pol/tards play games?

Do you argue with your DM that the fair skinned northerners should have more INT than the dark skinned people of the south?
>>
>>47538729
This is painful. Absolutely painful. What cultures do you consider interesting that you're willing to discount Hindi myth as nonexistent?
>>
>>47538544
>medieval space empires
>aliens that look like humans but with rubber masks, or are [Earth animal]men (bugmen, apemen, lizardmen)
>ancient precursor race
>proud warrior race
>genocidal alien race that's the "space locusts"
>wise/spiritual race
>robots act like stereotypical stupid fucking robots

sci-fi is trash, it's all the same shit

I love my sci-fi pls someone make cool sci-fi setting
>>
>>47539439
I'm the GM...and Elves normally do.
>>
>>47539458
Don't reply to trolls, dummy.
>>
>>47538568
I really want to run a game in this setting, just to see how far I can get before I kill all of my players with boredom.
>>
>>47538729
So, you're from southern U.S.A. then?
>>
>>47539439
I thought this easy just standard?

Truly it is a fictional world if it's the opposite.
>>
>>47539464
Star Wars A-D canon?
>>
>>47539464
Read The Culture series.

The medieval space empires don't exist, the aliens can be very weird (even though pan-humanity is a thing), there are not one "ancient precursor race" but many species turning over, subliming, or retiring from Galactic affairs, there is one proud warrior race (they lost the war), the space locusts grey goo/berserker probes are treated like typhoons or other dangerous weather events, there's really no wise/spiritual species, and the robots act like... Well, they're generally pretty full of character, I'd say.
>>
>>47538544
>game ISN'T being run in GURPS
Into the trash it goes!
>>
>>47539838
truly a post of the ages
>>
>>47539598
Not an argument.

You must be from Sweden.
>>
>>47540166
Don't forget about Universally Preferable Behavior.
>>
>>47539439
Would you do something different in your games?
>>
>>47539643
You're boring.
>>
>>47538544
>>47538568
That's what i love tbqh

i hate it when fantasy settings are trying to be "unique"

i love the old classic, castles and knights and forests in the west, snow and ice and blonde niggers in the north, sand and durkas in the east, etc.

if it tries to be "unique" it belongs in the trash
>>
>setting has an EEEEEVIL country populated exclusively by EEEEEVIL people, where the sun doesn't shine, the rivers are made of blood and the ground is made of broken glass
inb4 "oh, you mean [real place]"
>>
>>47540641
Fuck you, I like muh settan of greaco-roman hinduistic archimedes-punk.
>>
>>47540672
archimedes punk?
>>
>>47540641
I feel the same way. Now "standard, cliche"adventures are rare, and everyone is trying to out-edge each other and to "deconstruct the concept of adventuring"
>>
>>47540643
So, Detroit.
>>
>>47540643
>The twist is that the evil goverment is actually a democracy and even today the dark lord of darkness has an 80% approval raiting.
JUST LIKE [X]
>>
>>47538744
Bait
>>
>>47538729
>India
>no history or myths
Jesus fucking christ the ignorance.
>>
>>47540993
The evil empire wants to spread its evil and destructive ideas about democracy and eglatarianism across the globe, by force if necessary, and dismisses the obvious and divinely granted right to rule by the monarchy. They claim to be liberators, but they are out to destroy our entire way of life. Can you resist the foreign "liberators", /tg/?
>>
>>47539439
>/pol/tards play games?
It might come as a shock, but we are all humans who have intrests beyond gassing kikes and heiling Hitler.
>>
File: 1435884254029.png (746 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1435884254029.png
746 KB, 1280x720
>>47540965
Pic unrelated, I hope? The only non-standard thing about Maoyuu is the economical approach. The setting itself is pretty standard except for the fact that nobody has a name
>>
>>47540641
Kill yourself.
>>
>>47541089
...Huh. I kind of thought you guys were literally born in underground warrens, heiling your way out of fetid birthing sacks and eating the weakest of your litter. Then Saruman shows up and slaps you upside the face with a hand covered in white paint and you ride off to make people miserable. Or maybe I'm thinking of uruk-hai.
>>
File: worldbuilding in a nutshell.jpg (27 KB, 476x349) Image search: [Google]
worldbuilding in a nutshell.jpg
27 KB, 476x349
>>47540965

>Now "standard, cliche" adventures are rare, and everyone is trying to out-edge each other and to "deconstruct the concept of adventuring"
>Now
>fucking implying

I don't like contrarianism for the sake of contrarianism either, but anyone who thinks "shades of grey", anti-heroes, and deconstruction are some kind of new fad is delusional.

Game of Thrones is not some new cutting-edge deconstruction of fantasy cliche. Mostly because it's based on an insanely popular book series started almost two decades ago. It did not start any kind of new trend. Anyone who says otherwise is a shallow mouthbreather who doesn't actually read or watch anything unless Buzzfeed talks about it, or they're a grognard just looking for some new target for bitching.

Look at any point in literature/media history and you'll find popular stories where the protagonists aren't all paragons of goodguyhood, the villains' aren't Snidley Whiplash, and the world is painted in some kind of complexity. Spaghetti westerns, samurai movies, Shakespeare's plays, Robin Hood stories, the goddamn Odyssey; all of them feature characters and story themes someone here on /tg/ would call edgy bullshit. Shoot, if Fistful of Dollars came out today people here would call the Man With No Name a Coldsteel-tier edgelord and dismiss that scene where he kills those hecklers as "nuthin personnel, kid." Then go on some rant how modern media is just too contrary and edgy and how they just want to kill a dragon and rescue a damsel.

Guess what, those saccharine damsel-rescuing knight in shining armor stories? Those are an exception, not the norm, and mostly exist as religious allegories more than anything else. Because since the beginning of time audiences typically don't enjoy stories with all the depth of the plot progression outlines you see in basic fiction writing classes.
>>
>>47539439
Yes, we do play games. And no, I wouldn't argue that.
>>
>>47541089
>we are all humans

Except for those niggers and kikes amirite?
>>
>>47541123
Yeah, I dunno where the idea that anything that isn't, "knight in shining armor rescues the princess" is contrarian edge-ville came from.
>>
>>47541166

I firmly believe it's guys on 4chan who just hate Game of Thrones.
>>
>>47541166
It's part of a backlash against today's hyper-cynical and dark media in general. Give it a few years and it'll reach the mainstream. About a year after that, the "I miss shows and games with depth and realistic characters" will start, and the cycle will start over again. It seems to do a flip about every 6-8 years or so.
>>
>>47541103
I think he was including that as an example of the kind of stuff he liked, in that it was emblematic of what he might call a standard adventure story.
>>
>>47541153
The longer you actually browse /pol/, the more you'll see that they are not 100% rigid and mindless in their beliefs. It's just a meme. Sure, they may mean it when they talk about niggers and/or Muslims ruining their country, but then you have the same people turning around and praising Ben Carson without even taking race into account.
>>
>>47541218
>It's part of a backlash against today's hyper-cynical and dark media in general.
If I may add my two cents, the media has gotten hyper-cynical and dark because a handful of guys do the dark, "edgy" and "gray morality" thing really well, rake in loads of money and every untalented hack and their mother tries to cash in on it.

Hell, I'll just name a few recent movies. Remember how the last two Lord of the Rings movies had a pretty dark appeal, grimy looking battlefields and epic battle scenes with hordes upon hordes of men and monsters fighting? Remember how it was cool and everyone loved it? Remember how it was a bestselling trilogy? And then the hacks without talent came along and decided to shoehorn in those superficial elements while completely missing why it worked in Lord of the Rings?

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland? It needed a Lord of the Rings-esque battle scene and political babble because... it worked for Peter Jackson.

That Noah movie from a few years back? God just flooding the planet isn't good enough, we need battle scenes with crazy monsters and shit because that worked for Peter Jackson.

Snow White and the Huntsman? Who cares about staying loyal to the source material, we need a dark and grimy appeal and cool fight scenes. Because it fucking worked for Peter Jackson.

I also believe the cycle will start all over again, but it will start because one or a handful of moviemakers will make a bright, lighthearted movie that everyone loves because it's well written, plays with established clichés without being contrarian etc. And talentless hacks will see this and copy the superficial elements of this movie or these movies until we all get sick of it.

>>47541274
>>
>>47539439

They can just play Myfarog.
>>
>>47541274
As a black guy who browses /pol/ I have to say that you clearly don't understand how averages work. Have you ever realized that it's possible to at the same time admit that black people score one standard deviation below the white average (making the majority of them borderline retarded) and accept that certain black people are not only intelligent but right on the money with their political or social ideas? Hell, the author of the Bell Curve himself stated that the facts of his research don't suddenly make Obama any dumber. A man of his level is just much less common among black people as a whole than a man of equivalent intelligence would be among white people, East Asians or Jews.
>>
>>47541274
Did they vote for that Vampire LARPer in Florida who ran for Congress? This is important for my future political ambitions.
>>
>>47541309
Also Lamentations of the Flame Princess and 40k.
>>
>>47541293
>Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland
I honestly have never seen an uglier movie in my life. Every last character was from the depths of uncanny valley hell. Even the bright colors managed to look feverish and miserable. And then Johnny Depp was put in ugly makeup and left to Johnny Depp it up with no regard for any other actor, because it worked for PotC. Christ on a crutch, what a mess of a movie
>>
>>47541293

I haven't seen the first Snow White reboot movie, but I've heard it was actually pretty good and did the Gothic fantasy bit pretty well.

If "Conan the Conqueror" winds up being as good as it's looking (Sword and Sorcery "The Unforgiven" with Arnold) then we might be near that new threshold of a great movie getting aped by hacks.
>>
>>47538544
That's nice. Sorry you can't have fun. Bye.
>>
>>47541293
Never expected to see anyone calling LOTR dark.
>>
>>47541293

>I also believe the cycle will start all over again, but it will start because one or a handful of moviemakers will make a bright, lighthearted movie that everyone loves because it's well written, plays with established clichés without being contrarian etc. And talentless hacks will see this and copy the superficial elements of this movie or these movies until we all get sick of it.

I'd say that Zootopia would be that movie, if I weren't convinced that the next trend is going to be edgy, R-rated superhero movies, that try to copy a particular one and get it all wrong.
>>
>>47541347

What's /pol/ about LotFP? Besides the art trying way too hard to look like a death metal album cover for teenagers, it seemed like a generic OSR clone.
>>
>>47541366
But it is. Right from the beginning.
>>
File: theherowedeserve.jpg (361 KB, 1000x926) Image search: [Google]
theherowedeserve.jpg
361 KB, 1000x926
>>47541103
You can have a interesting twist in an standard setting, without the need of ruining the classic fantasy feel, like pick related.
Record of Loddoss War was based on an campaign the author made for his friends. I just want that,man.
>>
>>47541374
>that the next trend is going to be edgy, R-rated superhero movies, that try to copy a particular one and get it all wrong.
And that's sad, because I remember the 90s and Aughts edgy and dark R rated superhero movies, and it was the worst fucking thing.
>>
>>47541103
It literally starts with the hero seeing that the great evil being is a underwhelming waifubait who spent most her life in a library, hears her point out that the human world is pretty rubbish, and forms an alliance with her. Sounds like a pretty unorthodox start to me desu senpai.
>>
>>47541397

Oh, but this time they'll have a lot more randumb black humor and break the 4th wall all the time. It'll be so much better.
>>
>>47541374
>R-rated superhero movies, that try to copy a particular one and get it all wrong.
>that
>"next" trend
Zack Snyder on the line for you, he wants to know what you thought of "Man of Steel," circa 2013

he's been thinking about releasing a Director's Cut with a little less color and a little more neck-snapping
>>
>>47538544
You could also go full on Hyperborean Age/Conan and you'd be right to have it like that, although the Barbarians would really more be generally celtic/black celtic like Conan and dark haired. It would however, be cold as balls.

If there were Asians they would probably be some kind of Steppe Nomad, but with a funny name nobody ever heard of because "primeval before recorded history and this cycle of civilization" there probably wouldn't be paladins because that is not a Conan thing, if you have priests the nicest thing you are going to get is some mild mannered one like a Catholic Village Priest, but they probably worship some Elk Goddess or something.

And yes, there is a certain amount of ignorant Orientalism/generic Arabesque fantasy to it. It speaks to a place that never was except in the dreams of young boys dreaming of a sweeping continent while reading books and playing in the yards and streets of a Victorian childhood. Men that grew up and wrote in pulp magazines, and occasionally, better publications.

Lovecraft, Howard, others. Although I think Clark Ashton Smith captures a greater sense of lushness, generally. Lovecraft was interested in the cosmogony, and his marbled cities were in the Dreamlands. Howard was interested in the fights and the heroes. Clark Ashton Smith was interested specifically, in the oeuvre, the setting, more. The characters are really just to illustrate the backdrop to the story and get kicked in the teeth for being bastards (standard pulp stuff, necessary to the form and paying the bills. I think he liked scenery anyways, living out in the desert in a fucking hut, basically.)
>>
>>47539464
Ancient precursors are my favorite thing in every form of fiction.
>>
>>47541366
I hope you're not trying to imply that he's wrong.
>>
>>47541374

That's less of a trend and more DC just trying to force it down everyone's throats because they're a bunch of morons.

Deadpool was one of the most lighthearted superhero movies I've ever seen, even with the violence.
>>
>>47541416

Gritty and dark is one thing, and it's not new to superhero movies. What I meant was more what I said in >>47541414

It'll be that, but with more poor attempts at pop culture jokes and self-awareness.
>>
>>47538544
so what does your setting look like?
>>
>>47538544
What do you propose instead?
>>
>>47541440
It seems like those things are kind of at odds with each other, though. Not saying that folks might not attempt some kind of hideous Deadpool - Man of Steel fusion, just that I have no idea what such a film might look like.

I mean, one of them was practically a right-out comedy, and the other one could have had a big light-up "DO NOT LAUGH" sign up the whole time for how fucking dour it was. Or are you not thinking of DC movies here at all?
>>
>>47539439
The amount of /pol/acks that replied to his comment disturbs me. I wonder just how large is the crossover between /tg/ and /pol/?
>>
>>47541435
Deadpool (The movie, not the character) also knew when to crack jokes and when to shut the fuck up and let the drama happen, and had the characters actually react to Deadpool logically. That is, they barely tolerated the masked lunatic unless they needed something from him. Hacks won't understand either of those, and the movies will be intolerable because of it.
>>
>>47541463

> Not saying that folks might not attempt some kind of hideous Deadpool - Man of Steel fusion, just that I have no idea what such a film might look like

But DC is already doing that.
>>
>>47541118
lol fucking tasteless peasant, YOU kill yourself with your lowbrow taste
>>
>>47541484
Fuck me, I'd forgotten about that.
Welp. Nevermind, then.
>>
File: 1357311250317_zps2a3b5d92.png (951 KB, 1022x874) Image search: [Google]
1357311250317_zps2a3b5d92.png
951 KB, 1022x874
>>47541532

They're also planning a Harley Quinn spinoff movie
>>
>>47541469

It's pretty big, all of the boards cross over to a certain extent. The non-Jap hobby boards are likely to have a higher crossover so far as i can tell. My native board is /o/ and some days you'd think it was either /m/, /tg/, /k/, or /pol/ depending on the topic being discussed. A lot of carfags are also nerds who buy models for example, while others are normalfags who like outdoorsy stuff.

/tg/ probably shares the neckbeard/MRA-lite libertarian/autistic contingent with /pol/. There are /pol/ posts here all the time these days. It doesn't bother me that much, but what does bother me is how every fucking thread becomes a pissing contest between /pol/, people who don't like /pol/, and people who are shitposting and pretending to be one of the former.

tl;dr ignore it, it's like this on every board
>>
>>47541484
Why is it that the DC movies so retard tier, but the cartoons and actual comics are breddy gud, while Marvel is exactly the other way around?
>>
>>47541569
I really wish /pol/ would be made into an actual containment board, a place to...concentrate...all its posters in one place and not let them leave. Almost a permanent camp, in fact. A camp to concentrate undesirables in...why didn't anyone think of this before now?
>>
File: 1452669135282.jpg (49 KB, 226x387) Image search: [Google]
1452669135282.jpg
49 KB, 226x387
>>47541570

Because DC, in their infinite wisdom, put Zack Snyder in charge of their new round of movies. The guy who very clearly believes we're all massive pussies for wanting superheroes to save people instead of punish them. Who thinks shooting Jimmy Olsen in the fucking head is "having fun". And then they hire a bunch of hack who think Snyder has it right and make them write their spinoff movies.

Say what you will about Chris Nolan and his take on the movies, at least Batman actually acted like a hero. Snyder is the kind of guy who'd call you a moralfag if you thought his Batman was a thug.

I feel so bad for Ben Affleck.
>>
>>47541469
hi, i'm from /s4s/
the last digits of your reply are funny
>>
>>47541434
LOTR has the most two dimensional characers possible what's so dark about cartoonishly evil for the sake of it Orcs and Sauron?
>>
>>47541457
It's a setting where every guy has two dicks so he can fuck while getting a blowjob and every woman is a whore.
>>
File: dare you enter.jpg (5 KB, 200x149) Image search: [Google]
dare you enter.jpg
5 KB, 200x149
>>47541639
>obligatory
>>
>>47541609
I concur.

/pol/lacks are, as a general rule, horrible human beings.
>>
>>47541631
What does simple characters have to do with the darkness of a work at all? Are you stupid, or baiting?
>>
File: Polishing Turds.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Polishing Turds.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>47541617
To DC's credit they've began minimizing Snyder's role in the upcoming films. IIRC they stripped a lot of creative control from him for the solo Batfleck film and made Affleck an EP on top of him writing/directing/starring. As a fan of his behind-the-curtain work I'm actually pretty excited to see how he pulls it together.
>>
>>47541683
It has everything to do with it you daft cuntfuck do you think Powerpuff girls are dark because of Mojo Jojo since he's evil? The only dark thing about LOTR are the grey colors in the movie because every fuckwit in Hollywood thinks that the only colors allowed in medieval settings are grey, brown and black. So fuck you LOTR is just a glorified kids book like Snow White.
>>
File: Bnwi5cYIYAA-3z0.jpg-large.jpg (41 KB, 640x642) Image search: [Google]
Bnwi5cYIYAA-3z0.jpg-large.jpg
41 KB, 640x642
>>47541703

I like the idea he's getting more control, because I think on the surface he's perfect for Batman.

But the damage is done. It's still the same Batman who gunned down a bunch of people with a minigun, hurled a car full of people into a gas truck, branded sex offenders to make sure they died in prison, and believes "if there's even a 1% chance he could go crazy..." is a valid justification for murdering someone.
>>
>>47541733
>forgetting green
>>
>>47541326
That's essentially what I was trying to say. /pol/ is, using the dictionary definition of the word, less racist than your average politically active liberal. They openly admit that blacks can easily rise above nigger culture, and chose to scorn those that are too stupid to even try.
>>
>>47541830
Would say "less racist" per se, its a different type of racism altogether. The american right treats other races as savages, while the american left treats them as children.
>>
>>47539439
Of course
I mean theres always racial holy war
yes that is an actual ttrpg
>>
>>47541830
>/pol/ is less racist than your average politically active liberal
>They openly admit that blacks can easily rise above nigger culture
this is complete bullshit and you know it. /pol/ thinks the difference in intelligence is almost entirely genetic and will bring up counterexamples to the idea that culture is responsible (SAT scores between poor whites and rich blacks, Minnesota twin study, etc.) if you ever argue differently
the idea that /pol/ isn't even that racist is laughable. libertarian threads are basically dead these days and (other than US presidential threads) basically every thread is on how bad niggers, muslims, immigrants, or women are. Go into any general politics thread and ask what the most important issue is to people when they vote, and the vast majority of the time the answer is going to contain the phrase "white race" or immigration
>>
>>47541869
>The american right treats other races as savages
We only treat the savage ones as savages.
>>
File: barrow-wight2.jpg (88 KB, 540x460) Image search: [Google]
barrow-wight2.jpg
88 KB, 540x460
>>47541733
I'm just gonna go with "you don't know what you're talking about," then. It's the most likely possibility.
Darkness as to do with the TONE of a work. The TONE of a work is its general feeling. For example, the Powerpuff Girls has a generally light feeling. Some episodes don't even have fighting, and even when fighting does happen, it can be very comical in nature.

Lord of the Rings has a generally heavy feeling. There aren't very many jokes, and there are sad parts when people die, and many people die in this work. Fights are not comical in the Lord of the Rings.

It's worth mentioning that tone doesn't only have to mortality: there are parts with mortality in the Powerpuff Girls and there are parts of Lord of the Rings without mortality. In one episode of the Powerpuff Girls, the girls destroy an alien invasion by devouring them alive, because the aliens are actually just broccoli monsters. In the Fellowship of the Ring, the beginning of the story, there is not much death and destruction yet, but there is a general air of malaise and menace. Pic related. The Powerpuff Girls is a light show, the Lord of the Rings were dark books.

A more complex point is that the existence of good, even objective good, does not make a work "light," or even not dark. Despite grand themes of goodness versus evil, the Lord of the Rings takes a generally melancholic view of the world. It's worth noting that many characters in the Lord of the Rings that are initially good come to tragic ends: Boromir, Denethor, and Isildur are all examples of this. The general theme of several of these deaths, in fact, is a complication of the "good vs. evil" perspective you claim Lord of the Rings takes. Boromir's downfall was brought about by his attempt to steal the Ring for good ends (the destruction of Mordor) but the ongoing theme at play is that offensive violence for the sake of Good is not right and that power, even taken for good, corrupts. That's not a light theme.

Any questions?
>>
>>47541911
So the ability to reconize patterns is racist now?
>>
>>47541396

Lodoss war I think is an example of go big or go home. It unabashedly went with a classical, quaint by the books D&D adventure and was all the more charming and wonderful for it. I normally do like more inventive and lush fantasy worlds but lodoss war was, albeit from watching it back as a wee lad in 8th grade or so, the one setting to make me feel sad when it ended because I realized I'd never go on such an adventure like that.

>>47541374

I'm still waiting in vain for cape-bubble to burst. I have to accept it is never going to in all honesty, it's just going to become a standard new genre.
>>
File: tumblr_mxqrrwxWNR1s7wpvto6_1280.jpg (215 KB, 508x687) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxqrrwxWNR1s7wpvto6_1280.jpg
215 KB, 508x687
>>47541922
This is the man of higher understanding.
I'll only add that in case of colors, they are super-important in creating said tone of work, if it's visual.
No matter if its conscious or subconscious, this is how art works.
You want to tell a melancholic, heavy story, you use damp, dark desaturated coloring.
You want to tell a lighthearted tale, colors are yoiu friends.
Most good artists do this instinctively, those who don't do it either are shit or contrarian fags.
>>
>>47541479

Yeah, the core of it that made it work: The movie never tried to pretend he wasn't a deeply messed up person. He wasn't charmingly quirky or lolrandum. He was a deeply fucked up person using humour to deal with it a lot of the time.

It also didn't go the other way and go 'Because he's fucked up, he'll never be happy'. It had him find joy where he could and even hope for some unambiguous happiness.

For an R rated superhero movie it had a lot of hope and simple joy in life.

But so many people are going to see it as 'Look, R rated superheroes work!' rather than 'Hey, well written characters and engaging plots work!'
>>
>>47542035
That said, I fucking love Fallout 4 using bright-ass primary colors because of how it adds to the tone. The Pre-War world was bright and sunny and colorful, and the ruins still are, but they're decayed over and dusty now, with a thick coat of grime over it. Then the Institute hits you with sleek lines and sparkling clean everything, and the overall effect is of a brick to the face. For all the many, many things FO4 fucked up, the color palette was not one of them.
>>
File: IMG__201605152__025603.jpg (238 KB, 435x575) Image search: [Google]
IMG__201605152__025603.jpg
238 KB, 435x575
>>47541652
Oh c'mon we're not all bad.

Here is /pol/ relaxing and just having fun at a jewish summer camp.
>>
>>47541922

You know, you'd think /tg/ of all places would have more people who understand LOTR this well.

That said, I find it funny when people bitch about the lack of vibrant and diverse color in the movies. You know, considering how little color is ever described in the books. And when color is mentioned, it's always, you guessed it, blacks, browns, greens, and greys. Especially grey. Always grey.
>>
>>47540641
Patrician Tier tastes: The Post

10/10 I'll take another, sir
>>
>>47542274
I remember lots of blue. And white.
>>
>>47542035
>>47542274
Aw, shucks. Thanks.
Color in LotR is interesting, though, because I don't think grey was as important as a signifier of tone in the works as much as it was as a theme: Gandalf the Grey, for example. It seems to be used as a symbol of true or divine wisdom. Gandalf's mentor, Nienna, a Valar Queen of grief, endurance, and wisdom, is also described as wearing a gray hood. It doesn't seem far-fetched to me that Gandalf borrowed his mode of dress in the Shire from her, whatever that might mean.

I just really like Lord of the Rings. There are plenty of other folks on /tg/ with comparable or even superior knowledge.

>>47542481
I feel like we're also doing a disservice by failing to bring up white, as well, I was right about to bring that up. Gandalf the White seems significant somehow, as does the White Tree of Gondor. Purity is the most obvious application, but the troubling exception to that would be Saruman. I'm not sure about that -- he still thought of himself as pure, but even so he adopted a cloak of many colors, which I guess could be seen as compromising the plainness of pure white, maybe indicating vanity overtaking virtue. I dunno, that might be a little out-there but it seems to work.
>>
>>47540641
So, Lord of the Rings belongs in the trash? Because it was pretty unique at the time, you know.
>>
>>47542504
Don't overthink symbolics, Tolkien apparently didn't really like that kind of stuff so he didn't really give a damn about it when writing his books. Most of the symbolism is pretty obvious (tree=nature=good, fire=destruction~industry, things like that), and sometimes there is none intended.
>>
My desert city is based on Jerusalem and Otoyome Monogatari, and other desert towns are based on some shit I read about an English explorer in Africa and how much he hated it and everyone and everything was terrible.

We haven't really gotten to not!africa yet, though.
>>
File: 424-800.jpg (97 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
424-800.jpg
97 KB, 800x600
>>47542607

This, really. The relationship between White and purity is probably the only solid symbolism I'd see as present, and that probably had more to do with his Catholocism than anything else.

I think he just did shit like describe the ocean as grey because he really liked the image of foggy, overcast beaches.
>>
>>47541387
Don't you know?
Anything a SJW doesn't like is /pol/. Absolutelly anything regardless of sense and context.
Once they discovered there was a place they could blame everything they don't like to, what little capacity of debate they had disappeared.
It's all /pol/ now. /pol/ forever.
>>
>>47541569
I'm /tg/ and /ck/ and I go to /a/ to shitpost and beg for manga recommendations. I go to /mu/ or /tv/ when I'm feeling really frisky, and I go to /fa/ when I just wanna chill out and look at pictures of pretty people.

I only go to /pol/ when something major happens, or if I wanna talk about hip hop.
>>
>>47541123
>Look at any point in literature/media history and you'll find popular stories where the protagonists aren't all paragons of goodguyhood, the villains' aren't Snidley Whiplash, and the world is painted in some kind of complexity.
Sure. But the common trend has been towards settings where all the paragons of goodguyhood are violently murdered in the first chapter, the protagonists are Snidley Whiplash, and nothing is ever more complex than "in the grim derpness of the distant past, everyone is a bag of assholes trying to kill you for indeterminate reasons."
>>
>>47542766

>But the common trend has been towards settings where all the paragons of goodguyhood are violently murdered in the first chapter, the protagonists are Snidley Whiplash, and nothing is ever more complex than "in the grim derpness of the distant past, everyone is a bag of assholes trying to kill you for indeterminate reasons."
>common trend

I hear people say this all the fucking time, and I still don't know where they get the idea it's some mass phenomenon. The only thing I can think of that's at all like this is Game of Thrones. And not even that is anywhere this bad, even if Dan and Dave are hacks who think boobs and blood are all you need for a compelling story.
>>
>>47542812
>Dan and Dave are hacks
Geniuses, really. GRRM is the hack, and it's a miracle they actually got two decent seasons out of such a clusterfuck.
>>
>>47542937
Which is strange to say, since that's where things started to go more off course from the books
>>
>>47541366
LoTR is dark in the books and darker in the films. Frodo leaves the shire to save it only to feel like he has no home to go back to, hence he decides to leave the shire and go to the elf lands. Merry, Pippin and Sam gain more fame and fortune for their actions in the shire after they all get back than frodo ever does for saving the world. Every anniversary of the day Frodo got stabbed by the ring wraith he feels his blade in him and the terror he felt at that moment. This is all dark shit that happened even after they defeated Sauron and most of the danger had passed, mind you.
>>
>>47542741
True enough. The converse is also true, anything /pol/ doesn't like is SJW. No matter who wins, we all lose.
>>
>>47540965
How the fuck do you deconstruct an adventure?
>>
File: table and bear.png (960 KB, 825x614) Image search: [Google]
table and bear.png
960 KB, 825x614
I just want a fun setting to play in. Even if it's filled to the brim with cliches, I won't mind it at all if it's enjoyable.
>>
>>47543191
Underrated post tbqh famiglia
>>
>>47542996
The show got progressively worse as it deviated more from the books.
>>
>>47543191
It depends on what you find enjoyable. Personnally, I tried, but standard fantasy "y'all start in a tavern and gotta save the princess" stuff just doesn't do it for me. Because in general, the plot and setting is so fucking full of holes that I lose any kind of will in my suspension of disbelief.

I don't mind dragons, what I mind is dragons stealing princesses for no other reason than "yeah, dragons do that, right?" Fairy tales are well and good, but seriously undermining to play in, because nothing makes sense.
>>
>>47543135

I think he's talking about an apparent influx of stories where "the dragon's really the good guy!' or "every person you meet is terrible, especially the person sending you on quests!"

I should note I've never actually seen any situations like this, not even in That Guy/GM stories. Yet despite that, people bitch about it constantly.
>>
>>47543273
>undermining
*underwhelming
>>
>>47543273
>Fairy tales are well and good, but seriously undermining to play in, because nothing makes sense.
So you don't play fantasy, ever

Unless you've invented a totally believable setting that also has magic, in which case I would alsobsolutely love to hear about it
>>
>>47543319
You lack reading comprehension. And no, fantasy isn't the same thing as fairy tales. Fairy tales are the medium of a moral story, fantasy is simply a setting (rather than a genre, really).
>>
>>47543353
Fuck you
>>
>>47543298
It usually ends with the DM saying sacrastically "good job, heroes" with a smug face.
>>
I just want to play in a campaign where the enemy isn't all undead. Every game of 3.5 I've played has been just go fight the undead. I HATE DEATH EFFECTS, NEGATIVE ENERGY, AND INCORPOREAL ENEMIES

REMVOE UNDEAD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>47538771
I want /pol/ to leave
>>
>>47543456

That's just narrative convenience.

Undead are a convenient enemy faction because they're mindless, easy to take on one-on-one, and there's a very simple explanation how the BBEG has so many of them.

There's also the fact it voids any ethical questions, but honestly I feel that's not nearly as big a consideration for players as people like to think. No one really feels any guilt over the stormtroopers in Star Wars dying even though they're all normal people and no they aren't clones and were never meant to be clones
>>
>>47543507
I just want to kill some anything that isn't undead. When I go into a dungeon, I want to fight something that isn't undead. Maybe some orcs or an ooze. But its always undead. Undead this, undead that. Knock knock, you're fighting a dragon. BUT ITS AN UNDEAD DRAGON!
>>
>>47538771
>why did colonists have to come and force culture on them at all?
>Russia has its culture from colonizing
>Russia has been colonized

You know, Russia had colonies and hasn't been colonized.

Not to mention you're wrong about the other countries regarding culture as well
>>
>>47538729
Either this is bait or you're American
>>
>>47540641
>blonde niggers in the north
I'm confused, but intrigued.
>>
>>47543529
>>47543532
>replying to hours old trolls
>>
>>47543528

I can understand why there's undead in a dungeon. You're probably not the first group of adventurers making their way through there, you know.

That said I feel you. Fighting skelemen and zombies all the time gets tiring. I wish more GMs knew it's possible to get creative with enemies without coming off as a tryhard or getting too wacky.
>>
>>47542607
You're confusing "symbolism" with "allegory." Tolkien publicly claimed that he disliked allegory in his foreword to the second edition. In fact, he included in his "allegories I don't agree with" section the one that equated the Scouring of the Shire with the industrialization of England. Frankly speaking, I think it would be a little bizarre to claim that a linguist would have a categorical problem with symbols in general.
>>47542650
>and that probably had more to do with his Catholocism than anything else.
Isn't that an argument FOR the interpretation of his use of white as a symbol, not against? I'm a little confused.
It's obviously true that color was not exclusively used as a means of conveying themes, but I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that some colors had meaning in the work.
>>
>>47543561
I get why they do it but its seems like every campaign starts off as:

You're a budding group of Adventurers. You fight some orcs and humans working together. You find some strange symbols while fighting them. Turns out its part of an evil cult. AND THAT EVIL CULT LOVES UNDEAD. YOU MUST SLAUGHTER UNDEAD. FOREVER.

Hell, I played a campaign with my brother where we were both elves, and he played a ranger. He decided to pick favored enemy(orc) since our backstory was we were raised by a human druid hermit who ended up being slaughtered by orcs. We fought orcs maybe twice before the campaign just turned into Undead: The Undeadening Part 2 - Undead Boogaloo
>>
>>47541570
Backroom deals. Neither company wants the other stepping in their slice of Jell-O.
>>
>>47543585

I simply mean Tolkien himself conflated white with purity instead of making a conscious association.
>>
>>47543507
Undead are also probably the only enemy type that is really prevalent at every CR at least off the top of my head for 3.5. I imagine with all the books that's probably not as exclusive to undead
>>
>>47542607
>>47542650
>>47543585
>2016
>implying that what he 'intended' is possible to ascertain or in any way relevant to the text's meaning
>>
>>47540993
I love this idea
>If I, Azorbog the Annihilator, get elected, I promise social security reforms, greater investments in education, and the invasion and pillage of the elven kingdoms to the east
>>
>>47538666
I like my desert countries to be:
>Australia as seen in Mad Max or Tank Girl
>Disney's Alladin
>Tunisia at the height of French colonial rule
>New Mexico as seen in westerns.

I like my north to be Siberia, with Siberians. Fuck the swedes. They're too genial now.
>>
>>47543738

This is true. Like most other XP bag monster types like orcs or hobgoblins are kind of a bell curve with CRs, right? Most of them are in the middle.

>>47543828
>obligatory "build a wall" joke.
>>
>>47543904
>"If me, Grogthak, elected warchief, me build wall taller than oliphaunt, entirely out of blood and bones of human and elf oppressors!"
>>
>>47543585
Yeah I guess.
I just think there's no point in going too far extrapolating the subtext of the LotR. Stuff like in >>47542504 is alright, but there's no point in writing a full essay about why Saruman has a rainbow robe because Tolkien himself probably didn't think too much about it.
>>
>>47543936

>"Grogthak will build wall and make Man and Elf pay for it. Grogthak make Black Horde great again."
>>Elf protesters shouting at stage
>"Go home and get job, Elf-things. Go home and get job."
>>
File: lit.jpg (47 KB, 500x529) Image search: [Google]
lit.jpg
47 KB, 500x529
>>47543952
>tfw double (You)s
When it comes to Tolkien, I feel like it might be harder to overestimate how much he thought about things than to underestimate it. Don't forget that this was a series born at least partially out of a desire to create a more full world for his invented languages to inhabit.
>>47543789
I wish I knew more about that guy so I could argue the point, but I'll just have to settle for admiring how smug he looks in that picture of yours
>>
File: 1463711235353.png (852 KB, 525x3320) Image search: [Google]
1463711235353.png
852 KB, 525x3320
>>47543507
That's the reason I like playing good aligned necromancers.
>>
>>47544142

>Good necromancer
>Stephen Universe
>>
>>47543738
The different bunches of enemies at different CRs is a good thing, honestly. I just grab a monster manual, find some stuff that's appropriate for the players levels, and the work's done for me. Now they're in a swamp dungeon with a couple frogmen, sentient plants, and a slug monster because that's all stuff relevant to their level.
>>
File: 1376614246288.jpg (63 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
1376614246288.jpg
63 KB, 427x640
>>47543546
yo where da civilized women at
>>
>>47544169
Not even trolling, I'm meh on SU but the shit with the Cluster (As explained to me by a friend who loves that shit) basically outlines why I like non-evil undead.
Since, once all is said and done, the undead are us, gone through tragedy and loss, damaged by it and yet its basically used as a moral license to destroy 'em.

Its straight up fun as fuck to play someone who doesn't think of the lost and the damned as just bundles of XP. In the right game of course.

On the other side of the coin I once played a dude that gassed an entire hobo village because there was a bounty on 'em, so go figure.
>>
>>47544031
It's Roland Barthes. Basically his thesis is that you shouldn't get hung up on what the author intended because a) it's impossible to really know and b) even if an author intended for something they wrote to be interpreted one way they can never stop people approaching the text from new angles and with new interpretations. Basically 'meaning' is constructed in a reader's response to a text, and their interpretation isn't more or less valid because of the degree to which it coincides (or doesn't) with the author's interpretation. In other words, while Tolkien may or may not have intended the reader to respond in a certain way to the colour of Gandalf's robe, the text has since taken on a life of its own beyond what Tolkien intended through the act of being read and discussed and the reader is free to interpret the meaning of Gandalf's sartorial decisions in any way they choose.
>>
>>47544344
Yeah, I got that from a reverse image search, but I don't really know much about how to respond to "death of the author" ideas, other than "Well, even if they didn't intend this, it's a conclusion that could be drawn from the work."
>>
>>47544187
>The different bunches of enemies at different CRs is a good thing
Unless you're playing a ranger. Or you want to pick a theme for an enemy, but you don't know when the players will face them. Or you want a more specific theme or setting for your campaign

There's benefits of "level 5-8 is where all the swampy stuff is", but there's plenty of reasons why you might want bog monsters across all levels as well
>>
>>47544394
Yeah. The difference is that it's *a* conclusion, not *the* conclusion. It's perfectly valid (if a bit boring) to outright ignore all the symbolism in the text, but that doesn't mean that choosing not to ignore it is incorrect.
>>
>>47539439
of course we do. we're normal fucking people who just happen to spend some of our free time lurking on /pol/ because not everyone likes being flooded with liberal media 24/7. get over it.
>>
>>47544142
>Shitven Jewniverse

opinion discarded
>>
>>47544394
Try reading Borges "Pierre Merard: Author of the Quixote". It show you how the same book can change its meaning depending on the person who wrote it, even if its copied word by word.
>>
>>47541911
>implying they're wrong about IQ
>implying libertarians aren't a joke
I SURE DO LOVE THOSE TRADITIONAL GAMES
>>>/b/

>>47538544
That shit is truly dull, why does nobody want to play an Eberron campaign with me?
>>
>>47541911
Why are you complaining about /pol/ backing up their opinions with studies and evidence? Is it because the red pill is too hard to swallow?
>>
>>47544602
SJWs can't into facts and logic.
>>
>>47541309
/pol/ here, myfarog has a shitty font and too much arbitrary rolling. I can now no longer say Varg did nothing wrong.
There are even worse games you could have suggested though.
>>
>come into thread to shitpost
>get called a racist for saying I go on /pol/

I swear to god this board is like 90% tumblr nowadays
>>
File: 2931501-1437172071820.gif (2 MB, 213x160) Image search: [Google]
2931501-1437172071820.gif
2 MB, 213x160
>>47543043
Well, someone wins...
>>
File: corn.jpg (85 KB, 959x653) Image search: [Google]
corn.jpg
85 KB, 959x653
>>47543191
Just play D&D like you usually do, but have the DM read all the books in appendix N this time, like he should have.

Does nobody read the DMG anymore?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mmhq4uPKXt1qz4rgp.png (106 KB, 468x347) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mmhq4uPKXt1qz4rgp.png
106 KB, 468x347
>>47544643

Admitting you're shitposting doesn't excuse you for shitposting.
>>
>>47543456
Look who made an elven bard with HUGE DEXTERITY and only equipped a rapier.
>>
>>47544688
>implying that anything else would've been done in a thread like this
>>
>>47541034
I'd love to play in a campaign like this.

Did that fucking lich take over after the pretender king legalized gay marriage?
>>
>>47544738
>King was drawn and quartered and purged from the annals after rumours of him """"abusing"""" his wife made the rounds
>it is up to you to restore his name and bring the throne-hogging evil queen to justice
>>
>>47541569
>people who are shitposting and pretending to be one of the former
The rest of /tg/?
>>
>>47544555

From what I've heard about it, I'd probably like the show if the protagonist wasn't a fatass little retard with a ruby shoved in his navel.
>>
>>47544702
nah I played a elf druid in one, halfling rogue in another, and human gunslinger in the last
>>
>>47541469
It definitely seems to have got worse too - I remember coming here like 3+ years ago and never seeing stuff like this. Can't they just delete it already?
>>
>>47544948
Ah. Well I was dumb enough to do it once, and we came upon an unoccupied cave.

It was unoccupied in the sense that a warehouse is unoccupied, but still full of boxes. This cave was full of zombies.
After that I still hadn't learned my lesson and we raided a haunted house. Fuck.

Cue the paladin detecting evil, and the party idiot scaling to the second floor because the most concentrated evil was there... only to get a boot to the face as he climbed in the window.
>>
>>47541879
That has rules which contradict its message because all the nonwhites have superpowers, and is impossible to play because you can't calculate your base accuracy.

Yeah. They should have just made a setting.
>>
>>47541469
YUGE

But mainly they've been posting more because they reply to shit like that. People bitch about that sort of thing more these days, so naturally they see it and respond.

It's like what they say about tripfags feeding on attention and going away if you don't reply, but actually true. They're still here of course, they always have been, but they just post about traditional games instead.
>>
>>47544962
Whiners complain about pol more, or bring in their own shitty politics, so they reply to it. Post about traditional games and it won't happen.

Hitler did nothing wrong.
>>
>>47538544
Eberron tho. The books are cheap as shit too.
The Black Company series has a campaign setting too, but don't buy it you cunts I want to get the cheapest online listing before someone else gets it.
>>
>>47545112
People call it /pol/ nowdays but its just that everywhere you go its likely that half of the population on it won't share your political leanings.
go back to your safe space faggot
>>
>>47545168
>>>/trash/
>>
>>47540985

lol
>>
>>47538568
>No pirates
dropped
>>
>>47544801
Personally I always pretend to be /pol/, but in fact I'm merely taking the piss.

Sometimes I even (You) myself with tumblr-tier posts.
>>
>>47545320
>Sometimes I even (You) myself with tumblr-tier posts.
Well, this is playing dirty.
>>
>>47545331
I do it for the Lulz, because someone has to.
>>
>>47545331
This is actually why you should just assume anonymous is just one person like in the old days.
>>
>>47538729
I mean...you just had to play Smite to know how wrong you are.
>>
>>47543506
I want you to go back to tumblr but that ain't happening either is it?
>>
>>47540965
>mfw all the olds tropes are hackneyed and boring to everyone
>mfw I just started a year ago and have yet to get to play any of the classics
>mfw I will never defend a town from orcs
>mfw I will never rescue a princess from anything
>mfw I will never encounter a cult
>mfw I will never be sent to stop a ritual
>mfw I will never guard a caravan
>mfw I will never provide security at a public function
>mfw I have no face because I won't get to do any of this
Oh well, I guess I can have just as much fun discovering how misunderstood monsters are every game...
>>
>>47546175
>become DM
>run a game where PC's guard a caravan secretly transporting a Princess
>get attacked by Orc Cultists
>PCs left for dead, have to track Orcs to ritual site where the Princess will soon be sacrificed.

Adapt and thrive anon.
>>
>>47541830
People would be less opposed to a lot of /pol/ ideas if y'all stopped throwing slurs around and casually insulting people instead of talking to people like equals. It doesn't matter how right you are if people don't like you. Appeals to emotion work better on the masses, and that's why the liberals/SJW/cucks/buzzword-of-the-week are winning.
>>
>>47547259
>SJWs aren't the ones throwing insults around

Where have you been the last decade or so?
>>
>>47541631
>cartoonishly evil for the sake of it
You've either never read Tolkien or you completely missed the point of his cosmology, almost definitely the former
>>
>>47547538
Just to help illustrate how stupid that was, you're saying it's somehow shocking a demon and the army of semi-sentient elf knock-offs he's essentially mind controlling the whole series are evil
>>
>>47540993
>>47541034
>>
>>47544602
Because the evidence very rarely actually supports their opinions.
>>
File: qyok7dsujbdjruibbztg.jpg (50 KB, 669x415) Image search: [Google]
qyok7dsujbdjruibbztg.jpg
50 KB, 669x415
>>47541366
It is, but doesn't wallows on it as if it were a happy pig on the mud. And there's the promise of bacon to give one hope.
>>
>>47543546
He means scandinavians, not albino-africans
>>
File: 001.jpg (59 KB, 384x816) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
59 KB, 384x816
>>47541639
Okay, it's almost perfect. Now, are the guys hun lizardfolk, and are the women chocoelves?

Do they fuck them with both dicks?
>>
>>47538568
Not gonna lie, I'd like to play in this setting. This type of shit is fine, so long as its self-aware
>>
>>47538771
You what? How can any society not have culture? Do you literally think some groups are just robots? A colonist forcing something down another person's throat doesn't mean they didn't have anything previously, either. That's super-retarded logic
>>
>>47538568
>Yggdraseal
Topkek
>>
>>47548163
That kind of person tends to assume they know everything, so if they are ignorant about a certain culture they're happy to go around claiming there's no such culture
>>
>>47538544
None of this things are actually a problem. Fantasy is rooted in reality. Having blond people in the cold north is just logical, they've been adapted to that enviroment, having black people in the desert is logical as well. These things became archetypes because they make sense. You might as well complain about fantasy settings having gravity and green grass.
>>
>>47544935
its a pretty damn solid show if you like fantasy and cartoons. Steven IS obnoxious but gets better as the series progresses. He pretty much acts like most nerdy 12-year olds, and he's certainly less annoying than a lot of other cartoon characters.

If you can get past his behaviour early on in the series and don't take him too seriously, you'll find the show pretty enjoyable, unless you hate lesbians
>>
>>47543828
>>47543936
I would like to elect Tolkien orcs as warchiefs. They are competent commanders, specially in the movie's version. They only lose because of divine intervention and undead swarms.
>>
>>47548185
You're not entirely wrong, but northern regions certainly don't mean the people will inevitably be blonde. In the real world, most people native to cold regions don't have blonde hair.

Then again, I usually make them just that in my settings. I just like blonde hair
>>
>>47548184
That's funny, but also really sad
>>
>>47541034
Dude that's the Modern world right now. The French Revolution was a mistake, mankind should never have rid itself of Monarchy, and Nobility. All of those philosophies are the downfall of Western society.
>>
File: Oh Empire, Wide and Glorious.jpg (23 KB, 599x510) Image search: [Google]
Oh Empire, Wide and Glorious.jpg
23 KB, 599x510
>>47539598
>So, you're from southern U.S.A. then?

Not even we are that dumb, anon.
>>
>>47548262
Well, Sauron and the Nazgul are competent commanders, the only thing keeping orcs together is Sauron subduing their will. If it wasn't for him they'd all just run away, which is what they do at the end.

The Uruk-hai are the exception, since they were specifically bred to be competent soldiers by Saruman
>>
>>47548307
Not all people living in cold regions are blond, but all blond people come from cold regions. If the setting is based off fantasy-Europe, blond barbarians living in the North is very much logical.
>>
>>47548445
Nepotism is a useless system, it assigns merit to someone based on the merit of their parents and ancestors. There's something to be said for hereditary traits, but you can't put the stake of entire societies and nations based on expecting someone to be like their progenitors.

If anything, a life of power and luxury just creates a bunch of incompetent smacked-asses managing everything. Not to say that isn't completely rampant in our society as well. But at least democracy and capitalism had good intentions, even if its not a lot better
>>
File: 1461742940062.jpg (68 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1461742940062.jpg
68 KB, 650x650
>>47543789
>stating the current year in any part of your argument makes you look an enlightened scholar among barbarians.

why dont you just call them Hitler while your at it? Im sure that will give more credibility to your argument

Pic humerus but unrelated
>>
>>47538544
Fail to see the problem with any of that.

That's because there isn't.
>>
File: kicks.jpg (89 KB, 562x420) Image search: [Google]
kicks.jpg
89 KB, 562x420
>>47538771
but these kicks are sick and they were made in a colonized country

checkmate
>>
>>47541570
The last good marvel movie to come out was winter soldier and that's not even the best one. There are maybe 3 good ones in the whole MCU
>>
>>47541426
Same here my fellow of African decent
>>
>>47545351
sometimes I can swear I'm trying to argue with the same guy posting like 4 different people. someone's I think I'm the only other person here. besides the data miners and shills.
>>
File: blond.jpg (18 KB, 275x350) Image search: [Google]
blond.jpg
18 KB, 275x350
>>47548578
Not quite. Australian aboriginals have a distinct mutation that also makes it possible for them to be naturally blond.

Then you have groups like Berbers, who aren't quite white, haven't significantly mingled with europeans and possess a genetic profile close to that of other Africans but still could be mistaken for europeans on occasion, and can be blond.

Even in Asia there can be blond people due to very early interactions with europeans
>>
>>47548835
Those shoes are literally Sonic Fanfiction tier
>>
>>47548617
Monarchy and Capitalism have and can exist in one state simultaneously. And you are foolish to believe Nepotism is worse in a system like Monarchy, then Democracy.

Democracy can suffer greatly under the abusive power of one single demagogue or populist candidate.

In a democracy, Men are prone to make quick profit off power if they are limited to x amount of years in office. But for Nobles and Kings, a lifespan dedicated to leading an entire nation and empire is what separated the Peasent from Noble.

In fact, it is poor tradition for Democracy in the Western world to degenerate into nothing but corrupt dictators. A distinct difference between Monarchy and Dictatorship will be self apparent.
>>
>>47539464
>or are [Earth animal]men (bugmen, apemen, lizardmen)
this literally triggers me the most
I love how Twillight Imperium plays, but i'd kick the designer in the head for the core races. Expansions are bit better tho.
>>
>>47549021
You have a very idealized idea of monarchies
>>
>>47541745
>It's still the same Batman who gunned down a bunch of people with a minigun, hurled a car full of people into a gas truck, branded sex offenders to make sure they died in prison

what

are these literally all things that happen in the the batman vs. superman movie
>>
>>47549102
Yes

That's the power of Snyder's edge
>>
>>47549089
>he'd rather be ruled by the current clusterfuck of a system than someone literally bred and raised to lead
>>
>>47549021
Nepotism is bad in any form. But completely forced and institutionalized in a monarchy or any form of feudalism, while more just a product of cracks in the system in democracy. I can't say either system is great, and don't.

I feel like all these systems have a shelf-life that they have before failing. Monarchies in Europe did fail. And now, the current one is failing (in some parts of the world)
>>
>>47549150
Again: You have an extremely idealized idea of monarchies. You're imagining some wise warrior in gleaming armor leading his people, while in reality monarchs were just a bunch of particularly inbred rich people. There were good kings and there were bad kings, and in end most of them were just mediocre, as it can be expected from any proffesion
>>
>>47549150
I hate to be trite, but "the grass is always greener".

Do you think the common person living in a monarchy was really as well off as someone living in democracy? There are other factors at work, to be sure.

But I think the fact that there used to be a rebellion every Tuesday in a monarchy, while there are few now, speaks to how well off people are under the different systems.
>>
>>47539598
Hey don't lump us in with this mouth breather
>>
>>47549102

Yes.

He also dropped his "remove Superman" attitude immediately when he found out his Earth mom has the same name as Bruce Wayne's
>>
>>47541532
Dat file name though
>>
>>47548940
But these are exceptions, there are no significant population of blond Africans or blond Asians. Only Europeans are naturally blond. In South America albino Native Americans with blond hair were persecuted because they thought it was unnatural.
>>
>>47541920
Fair point
>>
>>47543561
>>47543676

I know these posts are hours old but I need some clarification from /tg here. I started playing PnP in college and I have never once hit a 'cliche', even when DMing or playing hackneyed premises. I was actually visibly ecstatic when one of our sessions was 'the blacksmith was murdered and you're on the chopping block unless you can prove someone else killed him'. It seriously doesn't matter what the setup is, it's all about execution, and even then it seems essentially impossible to constantly rerun the basic fantasy formula unless you're actively trying to run a boring game. Off the top of my head, scenarios I've played and run from multiple DMS....

-Fighting a bunch of electric lizards in a water filled cave
-Fighting off an octopus on a burning ship
-Chasing a wizard through a city trying to kidnap a princess
-Fighting a horde of inquisitors and their angel of Pelor with a tank busting through the church wall

Like, if you are the kind of person who enjoys DMing don't you try to come up with creative stuff? I can't really wrap my head around a person who DMs and actively avoids creativity.
>>
File: berbers.jpg (85 KB, 394x380) Image search: [Google]
berbers.jpg
85 KB, 394x380
>>47549960
Berbers are not some extra rare isolated tribe m8 there's almost 40 million of them. And there's still the abbos.

Just in case you misinterpreted the one in the picture in the previous post was an abbo, these are berbers. And they're indigenous to Africa. African = Black is much more of a generalization than you might think.
>>
>>47541922
And screen caped, thanks man that is one of the best break downs of the lotr series I have ever seen.
>>
>>47544962
>Can't they just delete it already?

Where do you think people go when their board is deleted? They go everywhere else
>>
>>47545141
The Black Company is great. One of the moments that stuck with me the most was when one of the immortal super liches sat down on a stump and started eating some jerky. It was just a little touch that reminded everyone that even the unstoppable magical juggernaut was still human, if only a little bit.
>>
>>47546771
not him, but fuck it I'm gonna do this
>>
>>47549289
So do you suppose that we will experience a cycle or an evolution in Gov't?

What comes next when the modern man grows tired of Democracy, yet still holds bad taste over Monarchy?
>>
File: 1452579974496.jpg (365 KB, 1280x1705) Image search: [Google]
1452579974496.jpg
365 KB, 1280x1705
>>47538544

>setting has short, skinny, redheaded barbarians living in the west
>of course it looks like Ontario and not Ireland
>oriental kingdom is a mishmash of Tibet and Singapore
>Druids serve a 'Lady of Peace', 'Nature Goddess' and similar Not Neopagan bullshit
>every desert country must look like New Mexico.

Hipsters are trash, it's all the same shit
>>
File: 8mP1PAzCfs-4.png (23 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
8mP1PAzCfs-4.png
23 KB, 300x250
>>47548947
You say that like it's a bad thing, kiddo
>>
>>47546118
I'm not from tumblr, you weak white cuckold nigger nazi neomillennial faggot jew kike ALASKAN BITCH WHORE
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.