[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dnd 3.5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
hey /tg/ I just bought the core rulebooks off of ebay, any recommendations? stories, character sheet, homebrew shit?

also Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e general
>>
>>47532913
You making your own session or using one of the big ones?
>>
Just throw it in the nearest dumpster
>>
>>47532980
>waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
>>47532913
Go find some friends and fuck around in a generic RPG setting. Its more fun than it sounds.
>>
>>47532913
>any recommendations?
Get Tome of Battle and use those classes instead of fighter, paladin, and monk.
>character sheet
Most people use myth weavers.
>homebrew shit
Avoid it.
>>
>>47532913
the Ravenloft stuff was pretty cool
>>
>>47532970
My own. It's been like forever since I last played 3.5e and I'm really excited being the DM this time
>>
>>47533835
Good thing is that you can find just about every 3.5 pdf online just by searching "[title] pdf".

I'd recommend both the Lords of Darkness book and the Book of Vile Darkness, because their "no holds barred" approach allowed them to really get creative and to explore all sorts of ideas.

I also really like the Oriental Adventures book, mostly because it introduced me to the Legend of the Five Rings setting, which is fantastic. There's also a bunch of L5R games that you might want to try out later, if the Oriental Adventures book piques your interest. (Keep in mind that the general power of the OA classes and monsters are rather on the low end of the spectrum).

Also, the Faerunian Campaign setting is almost a must-have book, even if you don't plan on playing in Faerun. It's rich in ideas, and while it almost tries to stick to a "generic" fantasy world, that means there's a lot of neat things that are easy to port into your own fantasy world.
>>
>>47534016
I already have a shit ton of pdfs on my google drive, I'll definitely take a closer look on the ones you've pointed out
>>
>>47532913

If you're all new and just starting out, dont go too fucking crazy with books because 3.5 has like 100 of them.

If you're looking to expand out of the main three, I'd reccomend the other monster manals (The go up to like...5?) , Player's Handbook 2, and maybe the Complete <Blank> line of books.

Tome of Battle is also a lot of fun, it gives the martial classes special moves and stuff and brings them more in line with casters for power variety and stuff.

Just take it easy and have fun, if you try and nitpick and rules lawyer real hard nobody will have any fun because the rules are sometimes weird and dont make a lot of sense. (Sell iron pots as iron by weight, profit!).

I'd also advise avoiding any deep online discussions on class power levels and shit because It'll probably ruin your experience and impression of the system starting out. Just make some doods, kills some goblins, and kick around. Worry about all that other shit when it happens if it becomes a problem.
>>
>>47532913
>recommendations
Return them and buy the 5e books instead. You're only setting yourself up for pain and misery with 3.5.
>>
File: trophy for not liking thing.jpg (28 KB, 300x381) Image search: [Google]
trophy for not liking thing.jpg
28 KB, 300x381
>>47532980
>I DON'T LIKE THIS THING, SO NO ONE ELSE IS ALLOWED TO EITHER!
>>
>>47534730
Seconded.
>>
>>47532913
Core 3.5 is absolute fucking shit outside of its full casters, the Bard, and MAYBE the Rogue due to them having UMD, and I'm not saying that because of them being brokenly powerful, I'm saying that because everything that's not under that classification is a one trick pony with highly limited combat and noncombat potential that very quickly become unfun to play and end up defined more by what magic items and feats they have than their abilities.

Even so, I'd suggest using the Psion in place of the Sorceror/Wizard, the Factotum and the Psychic Rogue from http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b in place of the Rogue, the Tome of Battle and Psychic Warrior classes in place of the Fighter, the Barbarian, and the Paladin, and the Wildshape Ranger variant in place of the vanilla Ranger, only keeping the Bard because it's the only class in the PHB that sits at the sweet spot of balance.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.