[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solo Games Forever Alone Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 30
File: forever alone D&D.jpg (10 KB, 249x202) Image search: [Google]
forever alone D&D.jpg
10 KB, 249x202
Come one bro, you know you don't have a group. You're never leaving Mom's Basement™ but you still want to game? This threads for you. So post 'em!

Lone Wolf: https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

The Tombs of Kings (Requires BD&D or Tunnels & Trolls needed): http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1464026032545.pdf
>>
File: 4AD cover.jpg (64 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
4AD cover.jpg
64 KB, 500x750
4 Against the Darkness Solo RPG

No miniatures are needed. All you need is the book, a pencil, two six sided dice, and grid paper.

You choose four character types from the classic classes (warrior, wizard, rogue, halfling, dwarf, barbarian, cleric, elf), equip them, and start adventuring in dungeons created by dice rolls and by your choices. When you enter a room, you generate its content on a series of random tables. You will meet monsters, fight them, hopefully defeat them (or decide that discretion is the better part of valor!), you'll manage your resources (healing, spells, life points, equipment), grab treasure, dodge traps, find clues, and even accept quests from the monsters you meet. Your characters can level up and become better at what they do, but it will not be easy.

SPAM filter isn't letting me post the url....

Main: file dropper doott com/4againstdarknessebookengl1
>>
>>47532510
Adventure 1 "Caves of the Kobold Slave Masters": file dropper doott com com/4adcavesofthekoboldslavemastersadventure
>>
>>47532510
Adventure 2 " Dark Waters":
file dropper doott com/4addarkwatersebook
>>
File: Dark Waters cover.jpg (50 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
Dark Waters cover.jpg
50 KB, 500x750
>>47532565
>>
File: Star Smuggler.jpg (79 KB, 438x748) Image search: [Google]
Star Smuggler.jpg
79 KB, 438x748
Star Smuggler complete:

http://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_starsmuggler.html
>>
I'm the only one that plays these games. I knew it.
>>
>>47532881

OP I didn't ask for these feels
>>
These look cool OP. Thanks!
>>
>>47532355
>The Tombs of Kings

Is lost to the sands of time. IE 404. Repost plz?
>>
>>47532881

Nah, dude, I have a pretty sizable Solo subfolder in my RPG stuff, and we have threads from time to time.
>>
>>47534004

Got it.
>>
>>47532355
Those are a thing that exists? daum.
>>
File: Hikikimori.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Hikikimori.pdf
1 B, 486x500
This one's almost a writing exercise. It's interesting, though.
>>
File: Half Sized Adventures.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Half Sized Adventures.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47536143

Yep. Solo gaming was a big deal in old wargaming circles, because much like in chess, it offered a way to analyze your strategy and find weak spots, which you often didn't get in a real play. There you might be paired with a schlub that couldn't beat a basic strategem at all, or a genius who wipes the floor with you, leaving you wondering what just happened. Trying to poke holes in your own strategies can offer valuable insights into your strengths and weaknesses, and what your opponents are doing.

When RPGs grew out of wargaming, solo gaming came along with it. Tunnels and Trolls was a big solo system, while Traveller had good support for solo play as well, coming as it did from serious wargaming guys. TSR published a number of solo modules intended to fix the problem where you had a group that wanted to play D&D but nobody had enough experience to do it.

Gamebooks also became a big thing in the 80s, along with Choose Your Own Adventure type books, but they died out by the early 90s, due to both the rise of cheap video games and a glut of bad CYOA books cashing in on the fad.

Solo RPGs have seen a resurgence in recent years, though, with stuff like the various GM emulators, and new solo systems and modules and gamebooks being produced for the niche market.
I mean sure, video games are nice, but sometimes you really want to roll some dice, and getting a group together can be just as much a headache now as it was in the 80s..
>>
Been playing a solo KD campaign. It's actually pretty fun because you can focus resources on what you want instead of letting other people have a say.
>>
>>47536240
Interestin history, thanks anon.
>>
File: MythicGME.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
MythicGME.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47532881

No you're not. I personally use PDF related, along with Classic Traveller
>>
File: 1391916508932.jpg (2 MB, 2078x2140) Image search: [Google]
1391916508932.jpg
2 MB, 2078x2140
>>47532355
Traveller is a fantastic solo game. I recommend rolling a character (or a small party) and begin a campaign in the merchant marine. The core book has a bunch of random roll tables to use every time something happens, and it has enough flavor and replayability to keep you coming back.
>>
>>47536918
>>47538632
How?
I am new to actually playing /tg/ames.
>>
>>47539505

I should write up a FAQ for this stuff.

First figure out what you want kind of game you want to play, and then figure out what system and tools you'll need to handle it.
Quickest fix will be a gamebook, see the Lone Wolf link in OP for some freely available ones. These are basically a simple RPG system bolted on to a CYOA. (The book kind of CYOAs, not the lame internet memes)

There are also solo modules for some systems, which are a bit like gamebooks, but with more game and less book. A lot of systems back in the 80s had these to teach you the rules, a practice I wish hadn't stopped. TSR's modules fall under this heading.

Then you have systems designed for solo play. Old ones include T&T, which is kind of fun, but its modules are very old school with random stuff happening out of the blue. If you dig that, go for it.
Traveller has support for solo play right out of the box, as its trade system can let you play as a merchant captain with no other players. It has robust tables for generating other stuff, and a pretty good combat system for solo wargaming if you want to handle shootouts in a bar or something.
Modern solo systems include: Scarlet Heroes, which is D&D with PC power ramped up to let a single PC handle old school modules, with all the mobs of enemies that implies.
De Profundis, a game of Lovecraftian correspondence for one or more players
Raiders of the Ruins of Kanthe, a solo dungeon crawler
Norse Odyssey, a solo game about Viking raiders
And quite a few more.

Another modern invention is the GM Emulator, a kind of master table system/advanced Magic 8 ball thing, usually with some narrative structure rules attached, that can take the place of a GM in any system, whether it's designed for solo play or not.
Mythic was the first, and is the heftiest one around. Since then there have been several others: Conjectural Roleplaying's Gamemaster Emulator (CRGE), Perilous Intersections, and The 9Qs. New ones pop up now and then.
>>
>>47540431
First of all thank you for answering my question.

I am aligned to Sci-Fi,however also wiling to give good'ol fantasy adventure too.
>>
>>47540559
Sorry forgot to add the question -
So , what should I choose ?
>>
>>47540559

Sci-fi, huh? Traveller is probably your best friend, then. It's long been the benchmark for good sci-fi systems. Its default setting is a no-Lucas, no-Roddenberry, classic SF literature-inspired space opera universe with a noir twist,

Grab The Traveller Book from here:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!DkdyQITY!Y1VxiiEtuqDwhHo5wEw65w

Also useful are the supplements, especially S1-1001 Characters, S4-Citizens of the Imperium, S6-76 Patrons, and S7-Traders and Gunboats.

Book 7, Merchant Prince, may be handy if you want a specifically merchant-focused game. It includes extra stuff for trade-based games, and a Merchant career for characters.

If you want a more general adventure game, you might want a GM emulator. Mythic, posted above, is good, but pretty heavy on the crunch. Here's a more lightweight alternative. Use whichever you prefer.
>>
>>47540702
Other Anon here,what would you suggest for Fantasy Role Playing?
>>
>>47540702
Thanks for the traveller link senpai

Also Mythic isn't that complex, it takes a good day to seize how it works, and then you only need two pages of tables.
>>
>>47532355
>You're never leaving Mom's Basement™ but you still want to game?
Roll20 or, in times of desperation, pbp
>>
>>47532355
Also, why not vidya gaem if you're alone anyway
>>
File: srsly_.jpg (13 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
srsly_.jpg
13 KB, 500x456
>>47541015
Back in my days we used our imagination.
>>
I played through Battlecon: Devestation of Indines first solo dungeon.

Just managed to eek out a win but it actually felt pretty satisfying.
>>
>>47540890

Scarlet Heroes is pretty good, and has rules that help mitigate the problems of the lone hero in a fantasy milieu. It also has its own mini GM emulator system of tables for generating adventures and stuff at the back of the book.

>>47541000

No, Mythic's not super complex, but it's the biggest GME around, and when you consider he's learning a whole new RPG system AND a GM emulator on top, a lighter GME might be preferable. (And some folks just plain prefer the lighter ones anyway.)

>>47541015

Because nothing about vidjeo games can quite scratch the itch to roll some dice and build some stories of your own.
>>
>>47541069

Oh, SH link, some assembly required:

anonfiles com /file/39790a27e43f0e205a8aae3291a491a2
>>
File: Traveller Solo - Star Trader.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Traveller Solo - Star Trader.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
File: Perilous Intersections.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Perilous Intersections.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47540890
Tunnels&Trolls
>>
File: the_plant - jeu solo.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
the_plant - jeu solo.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Anyone tested this?
I might do so soon.
>>
This is glorious! I made this thread yesterday. Headed to my 10 HR a day corporate wage slave, souless office job. Worked all day. Get treated like shit by evil boss. Come home to my one bedroom apartment. Crack open a beer and see I am not alone. Thx guys you have restored my faith in gamers at least.
>>
File: 1438542272562.gif (813 KB, 303x303) Image search: [Google]
1438542272562.gif
813 KB, 303x303
>>47545636
>>
File: TFT_DQ1.jpg (126 KB, 1024x822) Image search: [Google]
TFT_DQ1.jpg
126 KB, 1024x822
>>47532355
The Fantasy Trip from Metagaming - very tactical, 8 solo adventures. Designed by Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games it's essentially Proto-GURPS.
>>
File: De Profundis.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
De Profundis.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47549418
>8 solo adventures.

Ooh, I wasn't aware of those, I'll have to get a copy of that now.
>>
>>47549418
You can find some of them in here

https://mega.nz/#F!r9dxwA5S!bKjePzZxre9NNIZlFpfpRg

Also, Fighting Fantasy gamebooks

https://mega.nz/#F!ellRxKKb!698hqbj0xhUIPuP-F9aWvQ
>>
>>47550418

Ow! My eyes!

These are pretty cool, though.
>>
There's also:

Exiles of the Wicked Maze (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/127417/Exiles-Of-The-Wicked-Maze)
Dungeons: A Solo Adventure (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/107175/Dungeons-A-Solo-Adventure-Game)
Labyrinth (http://labyrinthadventures.com/)

Haven't had chance to pick any of the above up yet, but they all seem worth a look.
>>
Oh, and Ancient Odysseys: Treasure Awaits! (http://www.pigames.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=101&products_id=559).
>>
Late night bump
>>
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4b1g5kuxjuzdw/Gamebooks

A few more gamebooks from various lines
>>
nice thread, I had no idea this existed until now
>>
>>47551128

Welcome to 1981 mother fuckers!
>>
>>
File: Ruins of the Undercity.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ruins of the Undercity.pdf
1 B, 486x500
The guy who made this does a lot of neat solo stuff.
>>
why don't we solos get together and play a game?
>>
File: Norse Odyssey.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Norse Odyssey.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47558646

It's a good idea, but I don't have the time. I already run a game for my group. Solo stuff is usually what I pull out when people flake and game night's cancelled, and I'm left sitting there with a fistful of dice and a few hours of nothing to do.
Then again, I might have some free time tomorrow, depending.
>>
File: Outdoor Survival.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Outdoor Survival.pdf
1 B, 486x500
A major influence on early D&D was Outdoor Survival, a brutal game of staying alive in the wilderness.
>>
File: Outdoor Survival.jpg (1 MB, 1900x1751) Image search: [Google]
Outdoor Survival.jpg
1 MB, 1900x1751
>>47560025

And here's the map.
>>
>>47560025
Gotta love the dislocated shoulder part.
>>
>playing pretend by yourself

Why? Honestly, why? Half the fun in playing with a group is that you're able to come up with ridiculous situations to laugh about and shoot the shit with your buddies.

You might as well just spend your time writing a book or playing a video game.
>>
File: sangria sunrise.png (237 KB, 331x363) Image search: [Google]
sangria sunrise.png
237 KB, 331x363
>>47532355
If you like miniatures I suggest Monsterpocalypse solo

its bretty fun and the game is dead so cheap collecting armies for it.
>>
File: 1413921778001.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1413921778001.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>47560927
>playing pretend
Game design is an art! An art!
Solo playing puts constraints and drives the designer to think out of the box.
We're not playing it for immersion ; we're playing it in hope for surprise.
>>
>>47561012
what she said
>>
This probably isn't quite the right thread, but whatever.

What about 2 player games? I've been fiddling with the idea for a while because most systems aren't built for it at all and people deserve better. I mean it's coming from me so you're getting what I like which is semi collaborative and pseudonarrative, but that's what I want and what my friend(s) like. Is there interest or is it easier just to make do?
>>
>>47561012
You're rolling a couple chunks of plastic around and using that to think of a story in your head You can't get surprised by that when you have absolute control of every outcome.
>>
File: 1447877427001.png (7 KB, 351x322) Image search: [Google]
1447877427001.png
7 KB, 351x322
>>47561125
I heard Poltergeist was spooky but I never got to put my hands on it.

>>47561169
You're missing the fact that a game has rules.

Unrelated pic because it bugs if I don't post one
>>
>>47532355
How does this work? Do you just play by yourself while the books are your GM?
>>
>>47561477
Usually. Others have it where the rules GM the best they can, but that's more soloing existing modules.
>>
File: death-angel-logo-horizontal.png (159 KB, 600x200) Image search: [Google]
death-angel-logo-horizontal.png
159 KB, 600x200
cuntributing to a nice thread

DEATH ANGEL made by FFG is a really nice 1 player game, even if you don't really care for warhammer 40k (I don't)

It's a must-have for any solo enthusiast
>>
>>47560927

Why do anything ever? Because I like it! I don't play video games because I find them too addictive. Have you tried solo table top play? It is every bit as fun as reading or vidya. I also find solo adventures an untapped resource for ideas for my regular RPGs.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.