[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: kevin-hou-sddswweew.jpg (484 KB, 1920x1358) Image search: [Google]
kevin-hou-sddswweew.jpg
484 KB, 1920x1358
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Ye olde threade: >>47520183

What is the most memorable environment/place you've been in in game? And how did your DM make it so memorable? (Or if you're the DM, whats your greatest hit and why?)
>>
File: Parasite Compendium V5.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Parasite Compendium V5.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47531434
>>47530708

To the anon from the previous thread, I use

http://www.naturalcrit.com

Standard markdown type stuff, with the added benefit of "printing" it as a pdf file like I did mine.

Also, reposting V5, cause I was on the ass end of the last general.
>>
>>47531341
I prefer divine sense. The game was already going that way everytime they revised detect evil, and 5e's authors obviously wanted alignments to stop being a crutch for bad roleplayers.

The idea that they detected supernatural evil was already hinted at back in 2E even (where they flatly state it won't ping just because you've got a merchant with an E alignment, he's got to be actively going full Shylock about it)
>>
I dunno if I've done well or fucked up horribly. I'm running HotDQ and my players came to really like an NPC slated to die and now they're ready to murder the whole caravan if it means getting revenge.
>>
>>47532131
That's like five star DMing right there.
>>
>>47532131

A+ DMing. I'd really wanna hear the buildup behind this.
>>
>>47532131
You've got them to like an NPC! That's great! My players almost always seem to either think an NPC is lame and make fun of them, or get competitive with them if they seem competent and think they're a complete cock!
If they do start going towards murderkill crazy, then remind them they're really outnumbered, and not the only fighting types around. When the murder happened in our game, the crowd started to blame the party rogue, and it turned out like the cheesiest courtroom drama, with OBJECTION, last minute evidence, druid shape shifting into a cat and listening in on the 'prosecution'. Cultists eventually ended up getting themselves in trouble with the rest of the caravan for being so "suspicious" and they found it harder to blend in for the rest of the trip.
>>
>>47532131
Was it the monk, the gnome lady, or someone else?
>>
File: FAh0Asfo.jpg (18 KB, 282x282) Image search: [Google]
FAh0Asfo.jpg
18 KB, 282x282
>DM is speaking as the BBEG
>Starts to talk in a monotonous, uninterested voice to try and sound like a badass

>There's a clear opportunity to work around a scenario the DM has built up
>"Haha whoa, youre gonna need to roll a nat 20 for that to happen xD

>Attack an NPC that the DM may or may not have plans for
>Turns out he did have plans for it but didn't make that apparent
>Roll a 19+huge strength modifier
>Y-you miss and he teleports away
>>
File: 1447524844082.png (14 KB, 176x220) Image search: [Google]
1447524844082.png
14 KB, 176x220
Had my first session with 5e today and it was well, even though all the players including DM have adhd. There was usually five things happening all at once and my character didn't exactly get a chance to shine. It was hard for me to concentrate or find a way to involve myself in the game. My character actually came very close to death in the one only combat encounter we had. Managed to kill a bulette in the end. As for the homebrew lore, it makes sense but I can't seem to get a feel for why every player is there because they seem to always dodge the question and proceed to do some silly shit. This is everybody's including DM's playing style. Also my DM can't tell a story for shit.

So far I'm just a traveling brewmaster following these chaotic types that are wanted for murder. They say they are the good guys but from their insane, braindead choices I can't see how. We've been playing DnD for two years and I've had to deal with this all the time. Should I just lower my expectations from now on and just do the silly shit with them even though I want a meaningful gaming experience?
>>
File: easy allies.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
easy allies.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Anybody?
>>
>>47531877

>PC race as undead

u are so dumb
>>
>>47531877
>standard action
>unnerve lasts an extra round
>gain vicious mockery using what modifier? Charisma? Then why give Int bonus
>advantage over disease an poison, what does this mean?
>Reflex saving throw
>Will saving throw

JUST STOP THIS IS 5E NOT FUCKING 4E YOU PRICK
>>
Hey, I asked for some advice about owning and managing an elephant a couple weeks ago and passed it onto the DM, and he managed to work in using the elephant for land freight service, and I've been spending a lot more on supplies and things.

We also bought a giant trailer for it to haul stuff around in, too. It's pretty fun overall, thanks for the advice, guys.
>>
>>47531799
As part of our ongoing storyline in the Realms, Cyric was sealed in his home plane by a group of good aligned gods, and the PCs, who were followers of Cyric, used an ancient titan-created artifact that has the power to nullify the gods power to free him. They were standing at the edge of the plane surrounded by infinity and the gods began to arrive, some to try and stop the PCs, some to help us, others just to take advantage. The PCs used the staff to cause Torm to fall from the sky like a comet. It was a great moment and a great image in our heads.
>>
>>47532745
>advantage
>what does this mean?

"Advantage reflects the positive circumstances surrounding a d20 roll, while disadvantage reflects the opposite. When you have either advantage or disadvantage, you roll a second d20 when you make the roll. Use the higher of the two rolls if you have advantage, and use the lower roll if you have disadvantage." - Basic Rules, Page 4.

The rest you got me on, and I'm fixing. I was using an outdated site to revamp some traits, and I guess I didn't update it enough.
>>
>>47533028
Also, the PCs had a powerful lich as an ally, and the lich and the PCs were laying waste to a camp of soldiers loyal to Amaunator. The Chosen of Amaunator, a white haired human cleric, teleported in and turned the lich and started to wreck our shit. The PCs used the artifact staff to sever his attachment to his god, and the lich murdered him. The DM did a fantastic job of showing how cutting the Chosen off from his god utterly broke him. He had been a thorn in our side for some time and it was very satisfying.

It's the only time we played as an evil party, or even evil characters, which can sometimes be hard to do. But having every member belong to the same church and have them all working together towards the same goal (freeing cyric) removed the constant backstabbing and other nonsense often associated with evil parties. The Blackguard was always up to something, once he pushed an old woman into a sewer and the DM made the old woman an avatar of Waukeen, and he was turned into a toad as punishment.
>>
>>47531877
Thanks, I'm perusing it while working on my own. It's at the very least interesting.

>>47532683
>>47532745
Don't worry about these braindead morons, they've clearly never attempted to produce content for the game.
>>
Probably a stupid question but, when a spell is successfully counter spelled, does it burn the spell slot of the caster whose spell was cut off?
>>
>>47533156
Yes, the spell slot is still used even if it's counterspelled.
>>
File: skeleton-hands-2.gif (2 MB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-hands-2.gif
2 MB, 500x344
In Curse of Strahd, you can help out an entire family of wereravens, who are actively seeking to bring down Strahd. Wereravens by their nature, despite being lycanthropes, "respect local laws, and strive to do good whenever possible" on top of being naturally charitable. In other words, they are naturally like the most righteous of good adventurers. Furthermore, they do not bite people often for fear of spreading the curse to those who "don't deserve it or who would abuse it."

However, given that:
1. The party helps out the people of Barovia and the wereravens directly,
2. The party wishes to bring Strahd down directly and show themselves capable of putting up a fight, and
3. The party can, as soon as 5th level, cast Remove Curse to cure any non-natural lycanthrope, proving that their affliction would not be permanent...

What's stopping them from being willingly afflicted with wereraven lycanthropy (and having the wereravens agree to infect them) and walking through Strahd's lands with immunity to non-magical, non-silver bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, along with a natural fly speed and shapeshifting abilities?
>>
File: 1442436498029.jpg (97 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1442436498029.jpg
97 KB, 540x540
I'm playing D&D for the first time this weekend and I'm pretty nervous.
With 3 other pals.
They'd been playing a story or whatever for like 2 years and it ended a month ago.
They're getting back into it and want to get me involved.

I'm flipping through the player's guide and it feels a bit daunting.
>>
>>47533373
Mainly the only thing that stops them is the lack of player mechanics.

In 2e, the ravenloft netbooks (Book of S) had a system for lycanthropy, while it was unofficial, it was written by the guys who succeeded the original 2e writers, so it might as well be official. Lycanthrope powers beyond the baseline used proficiency points (both WP and NWP), so I figure you could argue for making a "Better Lycanthrope" feat with a baseline of abilities from just being a wereraven.

FWIW, the 2E wereraven was CG in the ravenloft Monster Compendiums.
>>
>>47533373
>What's stopping them from being willingly afflicted with wereraven lycanthropy (and having the wereravens agree to infect them) and walking through Strahd's lands with immunity to non-magical, non-silver bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, along with a natural fly speed and shapeshifting abilities?

Realising that Curse of Strahd is pretty mediocre as written and house-ruling the fuck out of it.
>>
>>47533431
Oh yeah, that said most people don't know that wereravens are good, so you're still a dirty lycanthrope and should be ready to end up facing a lynchmob if you go around Barovia in raven form. If anything, other lycanthropes might even try to stir the lynch mobs if they find out you're a wereraven.
>>
>>47533431
>Mainly the only thing that stops them is the lack of player mechanics.
The MM and the appendix of CoS detail what happens when a player becomes a lycanthrope and wereraven in particular. The mechanics are there.

>>47533456
There are wereravens living in Vallaki that have managed to stay hidden all their lives. Other lycanthropes not so much.

In the end the thing stopping them is probably time more than anything. People who become lycanthropes are implied (in MM lore) to not have full control over their transformations and such right away. That still doesn't stop the main problem, the damage immunities.

In the end I'll probably just have the wereravens refuse to infect them if they ask.
>>
Is it better for a necromancer to take control of a mummy lord of a vampire?
>>
>>47533373
>playing "the marionette" supplement adventure for CoS.
>get to the part where the city is getting fucked over by fire and undead.
>see villager in burning jail pleading for help
>being a doctor and a thief rogue, I go help him.
>quickly free him and get out.
>immediately turns into a raven and flies away.
>got a sweet reward and their favor for helping him.
>feels good man.
>>
>>47533572
Yeah, there's usually a distinction between born lycanthropes and infected in terms of control.

Also one reward an old module had was a feather token that could act as a magical beacon for the specific wereraven it came from, basically wereraven cavalry.
>>
>>47533592
Mummy Lord if he can successfully control it. Unless the vampire is a spell caster. The mummy Lord has healing spells (i think their spell pool is derived from the cleric list) and is stupid strong. Vampires are strong too but not as strong since they have a large pool of weaknesses and usually no spells.
>>
>>47533428
Trap classes:
>Ranger
>"Berserker" Barbarian
>"Champion" Fighter

Trap races:
>Drow
>Tiefling
>Dragonborn

/tg/'s official 9gag approved list of troll feats:
>Athlete
>Actor
>Dual Wielder
>Dungeon Delver
>Durable
>Elemental Adept
>Grappler
>Inspiring Leader
>Keen Mind
>Mage Slayer
>Martial Adept
>Medium Armor Master
>Savage Attacker

Avoid these and you'll be fine
>>
>>47533428
Don't worry. Personally I think the rules are easier to learn in practice.
>>47533613
I don't think there's a difference in control one way or the other. It's just that people who are born lycans started their lives behaving like their lycan. For wereravens that's no big deal because they are LG.
>>
>>47533078
I know what advantage means, you plebe, but "advantage over poison and disease" has no meaning.

Over what? The damage? The saving throw?

YOU HAVE TO SPECIFY CUNT
>>
>>47533687
>Actor
>Inspiring Leader
>bad
Inspiring Leader is literally a better rally and Actor is amazing if you're playing an urban campaign or one with social interactions (or you just want that sweet 16 cha).
>>
>>47533428
If you need help, you should probably try asking them. I'd suggest playing something pretty straightforward like a Rogue though.
>>
>>47533670
The caster thing wouldn't work because the vamp really needs to be feeble minded in order to stay subservient. The weakness thing is a good point though. It would suck to go on an epic quest to enslave a vamp and then just have him get exploded because he didn't come home before curfew.
>>
>>47531799
Not necessarily the most memorable, but my rogue sacrificed himself for the "death" of the BBEG with a dimensional rift (bag of holding inside of another)
After coming to, I found myself on an island surrounded by some silvery water and shooting stars. Probably the only interesting thing my DM has done for a story.
>>
>>47533687
I disagree with only two things:
>dragonborn can be solid as a paladin or fighter.
>elemental adept is perfect for Dragon sorcerer, and to a lesser extent storm sorcerer, since it allows them to focus on their chosen element and deal very solid damage to enemies, even if they resist the element.

Other than that, your pretty spot on.
>>
>>47532567
Are you me?

I have a similar problem, except my party continually replays the same characters in a different class. They are universally single dimensional ALWAYS DO GOOD characters and they get us into some incredibly stupid shit. I would, just for once, like an evil party, or a party consisting of some fucking variety or morally grey characters. The paladins rushing to save the little girl who fell down the well act is getting really damn old.
>>
>>47533713
Wow, are you anal retentive.
>>
>>47533028
>>47533102

Damn, that sounds like a lot of fun. I've been wanting to play an evil party for a while now, but no one in my group ever plays evil characters. They just remake their same old 1 or 2 good characters and replay the same people in every campaign we play. An evil campaign or at least a campaign with some variety in alignments would be interesting to me, and yours sounds like a good time.
>>
>>47533687
This whole list is a meme, do not take trolls seriously
>>
>>47533721
Inspiring Leader
>Requires 100 rounds
>affects six total creatures
>restores [your charisma mod]+[your level] hit points
>maximum of 5+[your level]

Healer
>requires an action (or a bonus action if you're an arcane trickster or a thief)
>heals one creature (two per turn if you're a rogue as above)
>restores 1d6+4+[their level]
>maximum of (assuming your party is all the same level) 10+[your level]
>minimum of 5+[your level]
>>
>>47533935
Oh, and I forgot to mention, Healer allows you to revive your companions as an action (or bonus action as a rogue). This benefit of the feature has no limit aside from how many (1gp) healing kits you have.
>>
Numbers are paramount, people. If you don't have the best numbers your character is useless.
>>
>>47533687
What's bad about Dual Wielder?
>>
>>47533988
I can tell you're intending to be ironic, but taken literally, your statement is correct. If you don't have adequately high enough stats, your character will not be able to succeed at anything xe attempts. Imagine the most autistic, weak, ugly person you can, and you have a character of 9/10/10/11/12/9. Xe won't be able to succeed in any interaction (hostile or friendly).
>>
>>47534027
>Xe
?
>>
>>47534041
A modern, rarely-used gender-neutral pronoun.

It's bait. Don't fall for it.
>>
>>47534027
This is a pretty bad shitpost, the xe makes it far too obvious. Just go with they next time, people will argue with you even if you don't bring up identity politics.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Dual-Wielder.png (41 KB, 331x183) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Dual-Wielder.png
41 KB, 331x183
>>47534005
It would be fine if it included +1 to Str or Dex, but as it stands, is not worth.

>+1AC is quite nice if you are really keen on dual-wielding
>allows you to dual-wield 1d8 weapons rather than 1d6s which only increases your average damage potential by 2+(number of extra attacks)
>draw or stow two one-handed weapons as your free item interaction should just be permitted regardless, and can be circumvented by holding your weapons whenever you're at risk to enter combat

So, useful parts of the feat
>+1AC
>+2+(#extra attacks) of average damage potential per turn
Isn't really worth a feat on its own.
>>
File: Inquisitor Class Page 1.png (4 MB, 1500x2100) Image search: [Google]
Inquisitor Class Page 1.png
4 MB, 1500x2100
rate my homebrew class. It's not done yet

1/2
>>
>>47533935
Inspiring leader actually gives temporary HP. It's useful for giving a party a slight edge if they are about to go into a dungeon. It's good at early levels and if you get prep time but falls off as you further progress past the super fragile levels. Healer has the same flaw but thief rogues can make amazing use of it both in and out of combat.
>>
>>47534107
its trash
>>
File: Inquisitor Class Page 2.png (3 MB, 1500x2100) Image search: [Google]
Inquisitor Class Page 2.png
3 MB, 1500x2100
>>47534107
2/2. table isnt filled out because i haven't made the abilities yet. still thinking about it. anyone got suggestions?
>>
>>47534123
any reasons why?
>>
>>47534107
>>47534124
This type of flavor doesn't deserve a full class.

Consider instead:
- fighter archetype
- rogue archetype
- paladin oath or variant rules on existing oaths
- a fitting background with the Mage Slayer feat
>>
>>47534058
>>47534063
I a) refuse to refer to individual entities using plural pronouns and b) refuse to use he/she every time I refer to a non-specifically sexed individual.

Fucking hell, Gary Gygax ximself would be disappointed by you pair of buffoons.
>>
>>47534165
Yeah well Gary Gygax also said dogs can't look up.
>>
>>47534165
>implying "they" can't be singular, even though it's a commonly accepted and officially grammatically correct use of the word
>wanting to use snowflake terms for literally no other reason than being a snowflake and going by your feelings
Would have been decent bait if you hadn't gone full retard with the "ximself" there at the end. Stop trying so hard, anon.
>>
File: dogs cant look up.png (147 KB, 823x289) Image search: [Google]
dogs cant look up.png
147 KB, 823x289
>>47534213
Pic related.

>>47534239
If you're going to insult me, please don't use problematic words like "retard".
>>
>>47534124
>rate my class
>posts a blank page
This is hilarious.
>>
>>47534261
This is weak bait, honestly. If you want to falseflag as tumblr, do it in a 40k thread or something.
>>
>>47534261
Did you see me use these pronouns before? They get quite a rise out of the dim and oppressive.
>>
>>47533428
I agree with this anon >>47533932
Do not fear that other anon's list. Just play whatever seems fun. This statement may trigger some posters on this forum though.
And in saying that I don't mean just have fun even though that list anon is right. He's wrong about a lot of things.
>>
>>47533687
>Trap classes:
all wrong, Ranger arguably post level 8
>Trap races:
drow will be tricky but otherwise all wrong
>/tg/'s official 9gag approved list of troll feats:
not approved by anyone and you're so wrong. savage attacker is rarely ever optimal, durable takes a certain type of player/campaign, but otherwise all wrong. martial adept i think sucks but some anons like it.

christ this is bad bait. don't bait new players they don't need that.
>>
>>47534427
Don't listen to >>47534427 , >>47533932 , and >>47534441 , they're trying to make you fall for the "5e is fun no matter what you play" meme.

>>47534441
Refute >>47534096 and also explain how some of those feats are not traps. Especially Medium Armor Master.
>>
>>47533713
If it were against the damage it'd be resistance ya fookin' goober. Read the damn book rules you're sperging so hard over.
>>
>>47531877
i bitched at you the first time around that you posted this. or maybe it was v2.

i think you're doing better.

i don't remember if your pacts level 14 ability was the same but mass stun seems to powerful. does it only last 1 turn? and if so why do they make a saving throw on subsequent turns. it says "while transformed" but doesnt show what that means. if its more than one turn its definitely too powerful. mass, persistent stun is too much.
there are some other posters who commented and are really rude, but their actual points are good. vicious mockery is weird for the int race, but you can just say that your casting stat for it is intelligence. in fact you should definitely say that. i'm kind of torn if thats too powerful or not as vicious mockery is one of the best attack cantrips, and i don't like that it pulls a spell off the bard list that is bard only. but that might just be me.
the dex race seems like it needs some love to me now. i think thats another one i called out as too powerful before. don't remember what they had. the ability is powerful but i'd be cool with them getting something else too, even just a swim speed or something.

the whole race seems really powerful as a whole, but then again sunlight sensitivity is huge.

i would take off the extra damage the wisdom race takes. its not really needed and keeping track of damage types and adding modifiers to them is a lot of extra bookwork. you might also want to give them something a little extra because that ability may or may not ever come up. the subtypes are kind of misbalanced that way. vicious mockery wont always be useful, but it will always be usable. unarmored ac might not always be useful, but it will probably always be a good fallback. and being intimidating probably will always be useful. but the others are kind of...... either really great or really pointless.
>>
>>47534488
Not any of those anons, but 5e, imho, is really fun in general and as long as your not fully trying to gimp yourself into complete uselessness it can be fun with any reasonable build. The only reason it wouldn't be would be if you had a shitty DM or a shitty player who ruins everyone's fun.
>>
>>47534488
>Refute >>47534096 and also explain how some of those feats are not traps. Especially Medium Armor Master.
i don't feel like responding to trolls, but in brief and only because you want to spread disinformation to newbies:

if you're going to dual wield, consider taking the dual wielding feat. if you're not going to dual wield, don't take it. its value to a dual wielder decreases rapidly if your dm doesn't care about enforcing how many object interactions you can make at a time, ie doesnt care if you draw two weapons at once or not without the feat. if he does care though, i think you should consider it, and +1 ac is not bad in a game with bounded accuracy. additionally any other benefit you can gain that deals with weapon dice, such as improved critical, will be bolstered by your ability to roll d8s instead of d6s.

medium armor master is a niche feat most won't need to consider, but if you want to build a stealthy guy in medium armor, you should take it. if not, don't.
>>
>>47534625
>corner-case half-assed justifications
>>
So how do you DMs prepare maps for games like CoS and stuff? Do you print out miniature called version? Do you draw them out? I want to run CoS for my group soon but it is so expansive so I'm trying to see how many resources are feasible available.
>>
>>47534534
Yeah, bitches though they be, I take some truth with these "troll" criticisms.
Speed Swim for the Dex Sub seems like such a no-brainer in hindsight. Thanks!

I'd already been working on changing Vicious Mockery to, I dunno, Blade Ward, maybe?

I'll remove the limiters for the Wisdom class, but not sure what to add to them, since they technically receive 3 whole bonus points in the physical stats. (Although I get where you're coming from otherwise.)
>>
>>47534673
Miniature scaled version*
>>
>>47534673
For Curse of Strahd I take the digital maps (in the Mega), crop them an easy aspect ratio, downsize them to 2000 pixels, and save them as 80% compressed JPEGs. Then I throw them on Roll20 and resize them to fit the grid by hand.

If you have a laptop and an HDTV, you could try doing the same thing and use the TV as a secondary monitor with a player version of the map. It's what I plan to do once I've moved and start doing IRL games again.
>>
>>47534694
Strike that last part, I was looking at the first subrace. I'm an idiot.
>>
>>47534654
this is why responding to trolls is dumb
>>
>>47534488
The whole list is a meme.

/tg/ is shit at balance so any opinions here about it are automatically trash

In fact most discussion in these generals is little more than white noise
>>
>>47533785
this sounds really good though
>>
>>47534760
Le edgy nihlist poster....Heh... nothin personelle.... /tg/...

>>47534751
>These feats aren't worth taking
<Yes they are
>Tell me why
<Well they're kinda good if you're autistic about wanting to have the feat whose name matches your playstyle, otherwise they aren't very good
>That's not a good justification
<fuck off troll

W E W LAD
E
W
>>
>>47534710
Hm I don't think I can manage that though, but thank you for your advice.
>>
>>47534797
Nothing edgy or nihilistic about it, just the truth

Surely you realize these threads have devolved to little more than /v/ tier shitposting most of the time, you're doing it right now
>>
File: fookin legend.png (338 KB, 700x1032) Image search: [Google]
fookin legend.png
338 KB, 700x1032
Is dual wielding worth it for an assassin?
>>
uhm

where does everyone buy their dice
>>
>>47534962
FLGS
Amazon

a set can cost $4-$10

or buy a pound of dice from chessex
>>
>>47534953
For most mono-classed rogues it is

Only exception would be if you're playing a thief and have bandoliers of acid, oil, alchemist's fire, caltrops, ball bearings, traps...
A utility belt pretty much
>>
>>47534953
no. you need your bonus action to disengage or w/e
>>
>>47534962
If you're willing to wait a month, Aliexpress has sets for under $2 with free shipping.
>>
I wanna play a dagger throwing college of swords bard, how do I do my action economy?
>>
>>47534986
wrong. you dual wield so that on the off chance you miss the first attack, you have a second opportunity to hit them with the sneak attack.

otherwise you can cunning action if you hit the first attack or whatever. i mean, if you dual wield you can still use your brain and decide to use or not use the offhand attack as needed.

if you're going in melee you should pretty much always have two weapons out just in case, unless like >>47534983 said you need to have a free hand for something. but you can always drop a dagger if you need to.

but really the truth is you should just consider dual wielding one thing that a rogue can use. its not the main point of being a rogue, but its a useful tool.
>>
>>47534971
>>47534995

thanks anons

I gotta buy a cool-looking set of dickloads of d6

fucking oathbow + sneak attack got me like damn
>>
>>47535021
you really shouldnt even be meleeing as a rog, you could easily get chewed up
you should be using a crossbow or a shortbow or something
>>
>>47535018
>juggle daggers in combat
>don't worry about using item interactions to draw each dagger you throw
>>
>>47535062
I doubt my DM is gonna accept that, especially because I need to play musical instruments to cast spells.
>>
>>47535039
from experience playing a thief... shit happens. and when it does and your party is counting on you to stab the medusa your fighter has pinned to the floor in the hallway with a bag over its head, you're going to want a second shot after you roll a 3. true story.

like i said, its not like dual wielding should really be your focus (well, unless you want it to be, i won't stop you). but its definitely a tool you should remember to use when it comes up.
>>
>>47535039
Rogue literally never needs to be in melee range because daggers essentially have 3xReach.

For that matter, rogues should basically only use darts because they're super cheap and essentially the exact same thing as a dagger.
>>
>>47535071

>not standing on one foot while holding the guitar in your teeth and playing the chords with the other foot and using your hands to juggle the daggers
>>
File: Parasite Compendium V5-2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Parasite Compendium V5-2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Edits have been made. Looking into slight rebuffing the COM, CYM, and CYS subraces, but only lightly.

Clarified the Warlock lvl 14 ability, and removed the continuous paralysis.
>>
>>47535018
you basically.... want to ask your dm what his thoughts are on throwing multiple daggers. he might say cool, he might be more rules oriented.

if hes more rules oriented (but honestly just ask your dm first before freaking out about it, he might just be cool with it) you want to take dual wielder even though its a r9k 9gag troll feat (sarcasm) so that you can draw two weapons a round.

determine (aka ask) if you can use sharpshooter with thrown daggers too because that will be kick ass to use with trick shooters flourish.

also you can technically dual wield and throw 3 daggers in a turn, but you'll never be able to do that RAW unless you start a turn with daggers in hand because you can't draw 3 weapons in a round.
>>
>IT'S TIME FOR A NEW CAMPAIGN!
>Things are great!
>Conjuration Wizard with a negative nancy DM

Fuck me this was a mistake. So I think I'll get myself slaughtered because I'm basically a bait character as it is with no real redeeming points beyond high as fuck arcana checks.

Now to a question:

>I've looked this shit up like 50 times. What's the deal with crossbow expert, dual wielding crossbows, and doing massive damage. Something don't add up to me, and I'm making sure if I make this sniper rogue business, that it does work. No, I'm not some min-maxing halfling
>>
>>47535158
>I've looked this shit up like 50 times. What's the deal with crossbow expert, dual wielding crossbows, and doing massive damage. Something don't add up to me, and I'm making sure if I make this sniper rogue business, that it does work. No, I'm not some min-maxing halfling
its better for a fighter with sharpshooter. you don't really need to dual wield either, just have a hand crossbow and get that bonus action attack, archery fighting style to offset sharpshooter, and do x attacks a round doing 1d6 + dex mod + 10 damage each.

rogue would want crossbow expert to do like >>47535021
>>
>>47535158
you need a hand free to load a xbow no matter what. you can fire the hand crossbow 2+(# of extra attacks) on each of your turns, using your action and bonus action. this can all be from one hand crossbow.
>>
>>47535171
>>47535178

So if I were a crossbow fighter, I could do

>Attack
>Crossbow Expert Bonus Action Attack
>Action Surge - Attack
>Extra Attack (Level 5)

Something like that?
>>
>>47535193
Battlemaster fighter
fighting style: archery
maneuver: precision attack
feats: crossbow expert, sharpshooter
20 dexterity

>declare sharpshooter, fire heavy crossbow
>hit: 1d10+15
>miss: roll precision attack superiority die, see above if hit
>drop heavy crossbow
>draw hand crossbow
>declare sharpshooter, fire hand crossbow
>hit: 1d6+15
>declare sharpshooter, fire hand crossbow
>hit: 1d6+15

total damage
3d10+2d6+75

minimum total damage

mean total damage

maximum total damage
>>
>>47535193
if you were level 5, you could make two attacks, bonus action attack, then action surge for two more attacks.
>>
>>47531799
>when you make a racist comment to a dragon born NPC now the whole island hates you
>>
>>47533606
>playing marionette
>we get to that part
>party splits up to save people
>Me (druid) and barbarian go to save guy from jail
>between a druid in brown bear form, and a barbarian with 19 strength we do not manage to break down the cell and free the prisoner because of really bad dice rolls

It was not our proudest moment
>>
>>47534119
Honestly, my homebrew fix for Inspiring Leader is adding the following.
>If a creature has temporary hit points from this effect, it can sacrifice its remaining temporary hit points to gain advantage on a single attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

Makes you almost feel inspiring.
>>
>>47535211

>Heavy Crossbow =/= Hand Crossbow.

Otherwise, I get what you're getting at.
>>
>>47535260
>Martial Options
>>
>>47535320
But if you were a crossbow fighter, you would have no reason to not use both heavy and hand crossbows in your attacks as per the copy pasta
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Weapons_Net.png (259 KB, 439x251) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Weapons_Net.png
259 KB, 439x251
I hope you guys have been adding your Dexterity modifiers to the damage rolls on your Net attacks. I also hope that you're using them with the Archery fighting style and the Sharpshooter feat to ignore long-range disadvantage and add +10 to the damage roll.

That's right, if you haven't been restraining your enemies while also dealing a guaranteed 15 damage per hit, then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>47535337

But wouldn't there be an actions queue fuckup since you're not just shooting a hand crossbow twice over? Heavy Crossbow takes 2 hands, and as someone said - no one free hand = plan is fucked.

Unless I'm looking at this wrong.

>>47533687

Ranger might be a "trap" class, but it's fucking easier to do than this ranged gimmick fighter I'm apparently trying to dig myself into
>>
>>47535361
P E D A N T
E
D
A
N
T
>>
>>47535384
Crossbow expert allows you to load and fire xbows as you do with bows. Drawing the bolt and loading it is considered part of the attack if you have xbow expert.
>>
>>47535403

>Crossbow expert allows you to load and fire xbows as you do with bows. Drawing the bolt and loading it is considered part of the attack if you have xbow expert.

That I get..I'm just trying to figure out the functions being used to garter such an attack queue beyond the superiority dice, which I get and understand from the battle master archetype.

>Fire Heavy Crossbow - Attack 1
>Fire Heavy Crossbow - Attack 2
>Fire Heavy Crossbow - Attack 3 (Surge?)
>Drop Heavy, Draw Hand (Free action??)
>Fire Hand Crossbow (Surge 2?)
>Fire Hand Crossbow (Bonus Action from Crossbow Expert)

Am I getting it?
>>
>>47535425

>Fire heavy - Attack
>Fire heavy - Extra attack (1)
>Fire heavy - Extra attack (2)
Drop heavy to the ground - this is free to do
Draw hand - this costs your one free item interaction of the round
>Fire hand - Extra attack (3)
>Fire hand - Bonus action from Crossbow Expert

Action Surge
>Fire hand - Attack
>Fire hand - Extra attack (1)
>Fire hand - Extra attack (2)
>Fire hand - Extra attack (3)
>>
>>47535463

I'm going to consider this a loss, and return to it if my Wizard gets slaughtered by sea hags in the elemental plane of water.

I'm just not martial enough for this shit
>>
>>47535463
What level of fighter is making these attacks, level 11?
>>
>>47535463
why not action surge before dropping your heavy crossbow? like hit them 4 times with the heavy, action surge, hit them three times with the heavy, drop it, then do the two hand crossbow attacks.
>>
>>47535502
Level 20 (the fighter's level 20 feature is a third extra attack (total 4 attacks per attack action)).

>>47535508
You're right, that's the better way to do it.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg (112 KB, 806x1000) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg
112 KB, 806x1000
When you're getting a new group together, how do you lay out all of the house rules, special ways you do starting equipment, general setting considerations before making characters, etc.?

Do you send them all a pdf or what have you the week before?
>>
File: 1287889333128.jpg (36 KB, 217x208) Image search: [Google]
1287889333128.jpg
36 KB, 217x208
>>47535463
>>47535211

I'm glad a Monk doesn't have to jump through hoops to fuck shit up like you Fighters.

That just looks like a DM/Player nightmare to keep tabs on just to do damage.
>>
File: Thorn.jpg (96 KB, 720x936) Image search: [Google]
Thorn.jpg
96 KB, 720x936
If I play a fiend chainlock human acolyte of Asmodeus with a magic initiate feat granting guidance, thautmaturgy, and shield of faith will I be too much of an edgelord? I love playing dark magicians and love the idea of an arcane cultist.
>>
what would be the most powerful level 1-5 character you can thing of?
>>
>>47535537
>I wrote this shit
>implying I've ever played a fighter
>>
>>47535545
level 5 any class you want, baby.

powerful just depends on what you want to be powerful at.
>>
>>47535545
Roll 18 on all your stats
Go Mountain Dwarf: 20 Con, 20 Str
Go Barbarian unarmored with a shield and enjoy your 21 AC at level 1.
>>
>>47535508
>>47535519
When you action surge are you able to hold off on using the first bonus action attack until your second action?
>>
>>47535565
Yes.
>>
Given how /5eg/ says any homebrew 'can be done with existing classes/archetypes' does that impy that you guys think 5E has perfect classes?
>>
Is there a point where Champion becomes better than Battle Master? I usually play Champion but the times I've played Battle Master I've had more fun and been able to do more fun things.
>>
>>47535700
Half-Orc greataxe wielding Champions kick ass.
>>
File: 1462805733599.png (1 MB, 1297x745) Image search: [Google]
1462805733599.png
1 MB, 1297x745
>>47535700
very, very long days of non stop fighting.
>>47535696
/5eg/ says a lot of things. i think most homebrew i see CAN be covered by refluffing existent materials, but i'm not anti homebrew by any means.
the classes in 5e aren't perfect but i would call them very good. theres things i would change but as a whole its a damn good system imo.
>>
>>47535696
Not really. That's just a mix of /5eg/ being filled with retarded asshats and shitty homebrew that really can be done with existing classes/archetypes. There's plenty of shit that does require full-on homebrew to make.
>>
is there a class in 5e that's like a Spellsword?

i.e. a magic+melee class
>>
>>47535729
Criting more often, and criting harder than everyone else is always fun.

I made a gladiator half orc fighter champion who used a net and a longsword (because tridents are total shit)

I would net people, then move in and two hand strike them with my sword. When the crits came, they came hard. Good times.
>>
>>47535797
Sure, you could be an eldritch knight Fighter. Or you could go Pact of the Blade Warlock, which gets some hate but I have had a lot of fun playing as one.
>>
Anyone have recommendations for Adventurers League modules to drop into a fairly generic campaign? Just ran 'No Foolish Matter' very successfully and was wondering if there were any others as good.
>>
>>47535815
not the anon you're responding to but literally every fighter i've seen thusfar (and yes, multiple fighters, multiple players) has been a champion and they all seem cool.
>>
>>47535827
Alternatively, any sources for decent 3rd party modules? I'm still finding my feet as a DM and it's nice to have something to work with, but I'd rather not plunge into one of the massive campaign books right now.
>>
>>47535827
>>47535852
theres a ton in the mega in the OP
>>
>>47535696
5e does not have perfect classes.

However, what it does have form the baseline for what is considered balanced and it gives us what ended up as 5e's design principles. Designing without those constraints generally produces better results than trying to design a full class from the ground up.
>>
>>47535879
Aye I've been looking through them, was wondering if anyone had specific recommendations
>>
>>47535797
Literally an EK.
>>
>>47535904
ah, sorry i don't. my group normally just does some oldschool module for 1 shots or whatever. i've been wanting to do (and have heard good things about) tower of the stargazer. its in the osr mega.
>>
File: 1456686866319.jpg (4 KB, 202x192) Image search: [Google]
1456686866319.jpg
4 KB, 202x192
>>47532454
I can take a GM railroading a little bit, but holy fuck don't make it that obvious.
>>
>>47535815
I hope you added your dex mod to the damage on those net attacks.
>>
I need some advice for a campaign that's starting up soon. I've got most of it worked out, but there's one element I'm still working on.

In the game the PCs (who have been on two major adventures together) have ended up in a pocket dimension composed entirely of floating outcrops of sections of the world stolen and deposited, floating in this swirling purple void. While there they find out about a fucked up plan to fuse Elemental Spirits into living beings, giving the living beings greater strength, but in the process completely supplanting their will and making them entirely controllable by the owner of the void plane.

I'm trying to work out what the actual 'factory' that produces the soldiers looks like, but I'm drawing a blank. I was thinking a crumbled old keep of an ancient kingdom that had been stolen into this void and repurposed, but I can't quite picture it. Does anyone have a better idea of the sort of building/facility that an insane wizard would repurpose into a gulag that transforms people into half-elementals?
>>
>>47535956
Hell it misses the ultimate opportunity. Have the NPC take massive damage and be brutally scarred by the attack, but someone else teleports them away. Now the NPC hates the PC who attacked them.
>>
>>47535947
>tower of the stargazer
ooh looks promising, thanks anon
>>
>>47535829
Champion is nice for the easier chance to crit. But overall I generally prefer battlemaster because things like riposte, trip, and cleave are awesome and you get extra superiority die to damage.
>>
Is there like a standarized ways to do scars and battle damage?

For example one of my old DMs would give you a permanent scar or have some kind of noticeable damage done to your body if you took more than 35 melee or 50 magic damage in one hit

cause you know you dont wanna have huge gashes in your skin from every single 8 dmg kobold axe swing or w/e
>>
>>47536088
Page 272, DMG
>>
>>47536088
I would absolutely never use that sort of thing for 4e or 5e, since the game assumes you will be hit every fucking fight forever.

Still, here's an idea: if a PC is critically hit and brought below negatives by that critical hit, he receives a scar.

If a PC is hurt to the point that he would otherwise be dead, allow healing to save his life at the cost of a permanent injury -- maybe he'll walk with a limp, lose sight in one eye or be missing a finger.
>>
>>47535747
I'm wondering what would require full-on homebrew, then.

Every single concept I've seen shot down under the same arguments (not that I necessarily disagree)
>>
>>47535797
yea, bladesinger wizard
>>
>>47536131
An engineer/mechanic/tinkerer type character whose primary strength come from the invention of devices: limited use weapons, assorted gizmos and gadgets, and turrets/constructs. With an archetype focusing on each.
>>
>>47536170
So, some kind of gnome.
>>
>>47536170
Couldn't that just be re-fluffed enchantment/scrolls?
>>
Why are my players getting mad at me when I punish them for unnecessary/incorrect rolls? Had some retard make an attack roll for acid splash and had his spell fail. I warned them weeks ago that I'd do this (and even printed off the entire spell catalog so no one would make mistakes like that) and everyone still got mad at me.
>>
>>47536607
You punished them for being idiots. Any idiot who was punished for acting true to their very nature would be angry.
>>
>>47536607
you sound like a prick desu
you shouldn't punish people in game for making metagame errors
>>
>>47536704
I should when I give them full warning ahead of time, three chances per session, and when they refuse to learn the rules and don't pay attention.

There is absolutely no excuse when the spell description was right in front of them.
>>
>>47536607
All you'd have to say is "you don't need to attack roll for that". What is so bad about that? You're punishing them and fucking with their game experience over virtually nothing. You're definitely not fit to DM if you're getting that intense about something like this.
>>
>>47536880
Because they keep doing it. They're either going to learn the rules, continue to be punished, or quit.

It's not like I started this shit in the first session. We've been playing every week for three months, and these guys still make mistakes like that and ask me other elementary questions like what to roll for specific checks.
>>
>>47536944
So quit then. You're basically that teacher who punishes kids for going to the bathroom.
>>
>>47536125
I like the allow them to be heal past dead, but a major wound. It allows people to choose to keep their character, but not in a way that makes you feel cheated.
>>
>>47536975
Are you retarded? That analogy doesn't work at all.
>>
>>47536975
More like a soccer coach giving a player a time out for kicking into the wrong goal, the lack of knowledge of the rules is not an excuse. The GMs job is to do everything, but your character. It's YOUR job to keep track of spells or class rules.
>>
>>47536875
>>47536944
why is it an issue

I'm like 12 sessions into my campaign, my players still ask what they need to roll for shit about 60% of the time

just tell them, it doesn't matter. You gotta remember that these people (pseudo-nerds or just straight normies who are into D&D because a friend got them into it or something) aren't autistically obsessed with the game like you and me and haven't read every rulebook cover to cover and also think very little about D&D besides when it's time to play it

only time I punish my players for meta mistakes is when it'd be funny or make some sense. Like when one of the players jokingly says "I'm gonna punch that guy in the jaw" I have their character actually do it. queue fun bar fight

tldr don't be autistic, remember that your players are most likely not anywhere near to as into the game as you are
>>
File: 1400606762180.gif (182 KB, 400x374) Image search: [Google]
1400606762180.gif
182 KB, 400x374
>>47537348
>remember that your players are most likely not anywhere near as into the game as you are

Ain't that the sad truth of tabletop.
>>
Would Assassinate work with Eldritch Blast?

>Fighter 2/Rogue 3/Warlock the rest
>Action surge for 2 Eldritch Blasts on a Hex'd target
>16d10+8d6+40 (and maybe an extra 4d6 from sneak attack if your DM is really nice)

Assassin Warlock!
>>
>>47536607
>Why are my players getting mad at me when I punish them for unnecessary/incorrect rolls?
If you legitimately don't understand why then literally nothing you could read on here will change your mind.
The cause of your problems has nothing to do with 5e, or even traditional games in general and everything to do with who you are as a person and whom your players are as people.
You will need to change one of these things and since you genuinely aren't capable of changing your players if they don't want to be changed the solutions are limited to changing yourself or ceasing to GM entirely.
>>
>>47537473
>ceasing to GM entirely
Ceasing to GM them specifically, I mean.
You can find another group that your GM style suits, possibly.
>>
>>47535361
Nets are rubbish without sharpshooter, as you're always at disadvantage. You're either within 5ft of an opponent, or at long range.
This is the feat tax returns in fifth edition.
>>
>>47537348
>remember that your players are most likely not anywhere near to as into the game as you are

That's fine, but they should still learn the rules and read a few lines before attempting something. It's impossible to justify fucking up like that when the spell description is literally right in front of them.
>>
>>47537562
>impossible to justify
Oh so it's about justice now eh? They've wronged you, by rolling dice unnecessarily. How put upon you are! Woe is ye!
Seriously guy, they just don't care as much as you. You need to learn to not be a dick if you want them to keep playing with you.
>>
>>47537586
Do you even understand basic English?

You're right, I should just kick them from my table for failing to read less than 40 words correctly.
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 640x640
I need help working up a character to play as a dragoon!
But not some namby pamby ass toothpick swinging circus acrobat. I want a heavily armored gun-toting motherfucker.
Who may or may not ride horseback.
>>
>>47537601
Do you? I'm not suggesting you kick them, I'm saying they'll stop playing with you if you keep acting like a cunt (which going by this thread, is situation normal for you)
>>
>>47537601
>You're right, I should just kick them from my table for failing to read less than 40 words correctly.
Then do it already ya ass.
Look, you already know they aren't going to do what you want because you've tried it multiple times and they continue to not do what you want.
The fuck were you expecting?
"Thirteenth time is the charm"?

Either make some expectations adjustments or take the faster solution (and from what I'm hearing the easier one for you) and just quit already, yeesh. It's not like this is rocket science.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7 KB, 623x189) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7 KB, 623x189
>>47537621
Congratulations for being more stupid than my players.

There is nothing wrong with punishing stupid mistakes, especially considering I warned them that I'd kill off their character instead of having their spells auto-fail.

>>47537640
I'd expect them to learn how to play if they were punished for their mistakes. A bunch of retarded murderhobo martial players suddenly want to cast spells without reading the rules and have a bad experience because of it. The only way they'd be having fun is if I was a shit DM and completely ignore all the rules.
>>
>>47537667
>I'd expect them to learn how to play if they were punished for their mistakes.
They aren't learning though. They've demonstrated that adequately according to you.
Since you cannot actually MAKE them do anything, including learn things, you really only have options directly related to yourself available to you.
Which again begs the question of why you even bothered to come on here at all. You already know all of your options available to you and none of them have anything to do with the rules.
>>
File: Normalfag.jpg (21 KB, 246x339) Image search: [Google]
Normalfag.jpg
21 KB, 246x339
>>47537667
I feel that you are right in this situation. People can spout about people not being as into dnd as you or assuming that know anything about you or your players, but what it comes down to is you. People forget that the gm does 90% of the work, and wanting your players to know the basic rules of their stuff is not wrong. Other gms can be freeflow or super loose to the rules, but you aren't. From the previous posts you made that clear to them and they don't listen. Just try to talk with them and explain your view. If that doesn't work finding new players is always an option.
>>
>>47537686
I just started doing this, so we'll see.

>Which again begs the question of why you even bothered to come on here at all.

Hilariously I went with the idea based on advice from this general.

>>47537696
Guess I'll have to really buckle down and try to have a discussion before I blow up at the table. There's a chance it might work since they listened when I was forced to ban phones during games. Should I give them an ultimatum of "learn the rules, DM yourself, or quit" or would that be going too far?
>>
>>47537667
You could have used the word "explain".
>How to "explain" their behaviour?
They don't care enough.

But JUSTIFY implies there is some 'rightness' to their behaviour, it's not just explaining why they're doing what they are doing, it's to claim what they're doing is JUST.

You think their behaviour is unjustifiable, and therefore you MUST BE IN THE RIGHT. You're oppressed by your retard players and retard posters in this shitty board and no one understands!

I don't care about that, I'm just saying you're a douche for handing out punishment for someone rolling a die without purpose!

>>47537733
Oh, you're new to DM, AND listening to advice from The Internet? (4chan particularly)
Makes sense.
Don't listen to advice from here, use your head.
>>
>>47537767
You have this self righteous attitude that make you sound like the worst kind of douche. The douche that doesn't know how fucking douchey he sound. You preach about he is punishing people for "rolling a die without a purpose" when the whole point of playing dnd is to put purpose to your rolls. I hope you are a troll. If you are, then I fell into the trap of responding to you. If not, please fuck off.
>>
>>47537733
>Hilariously I went with the idea based on advice from this general.
We can give advice on rules, mostly.
The problem you have is basically a problem about yourself and your conflicts with your current group, so there's really not much in the way of help we can give except shit you already know about already:
>>
>>47537767
>But JUSTIFY implies there is some 'rightness' to their behaviour

Well yes, it is quite wrong to make an attack roll for something like Acid Splash. There's no grey area here. You're either right or wrong, and with the spell description in full right in front of them, no excuses can be made for that kind of mistake.
>>
>>47536607
Didn't read through the whole conversation but If you warned them in advance about something and printed shit to make it easier to avoid such mistakes then it's their fault.
>>
>>47537809
>the whole point of D&D is to put purpose to your rolls
Yeah in a general sense, but rolling a die accidentally /unnecessarily doesn't spoil the game.
It's the same as drinking a soda or chatting about something else while initiative is worked out, it's not constructive, but it doesn't detract from the game either.
>>
>>47537847
Read again
>>47537767
>I don't care about that
>>
File: wakka.jpg (589 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wakka.jpg
589 KB, 1920x1080
>>47535384

>Be ranged battlemaster fighter
>Hit fucking everything due to my +12
>10/20 base damage due to sharpshooter
>effects never ever proc because the GM, who rolls openly, is actually incapable of rolling low on saves.
>>
>>47537946
Take a level in warlock to get Hex, cast that on them to give them disadvantage on whatever ability score you're trying to attack
>>
>>47537448
That would actually be 16d6 from Hex. 4d6, twice from action surge and twice again from crits.
>>
>>47537448
Fighter 2/Rogue 3/Warlock 1/Sorcerer 14
>24d10+24d6+60

Oh boy.

>276 damage on a surprise round with action surge and quickened spell
>184 on a normal surprise round with quickened spell
>92 on a normal surprise round with no resources spent
>56 on a normal round

This is before factoring in the chance to miss etc. You also have advantage due to the assassinate feature, so your chance to hit is pretty damn high. Also has no dead levels. ASI's are gonna be behind though.
>>
>>47538081
Warlock 2, my bad. Need to be level 2 for Agonizing Blast.
>>
>>47535071
Bells on your feet.
Cymbals on the inside of your knees.
Harmonica held to your mouth by a harness.
>>
Alright guys I have more or less an idea of how my path of the reaver is gonna look:

>Lv3
Gain the benefits of the "Two-Weapon Fighting" fighting style while raging. When you make a bonus action attack against a creature, that creature cannot make oportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn.

>Lv6
When you are raging and you make a bonus action attack as part of two-weapon fighting, make two attacks instead.

>Lv10
You get advantage on perception and investigation checks when attempting to find concealed valuables. In addition, any hit you score against wooden objects such as doors, barricades or furniture is a critical hit.

>Lv14
While you are raging, when you choose to make a reckless attack, you can choose to forego the advantage, if the attacks hit, you add +5 to their damage
>>
File: 1462332265085.png (197 KB, 500x399) Image search: [Google]
1462332265085.png
197 KB, 500x399
>have human storm sorcerer in our party
>he focuses all his power into lightning spells
>says his character wants to gain enough power to overthrow Talos and become the new God of storms
>our faces when
>we are all level 16
>he gets wish next level

He has been talking very crazy about destroying Talos shrines, should we be worried? What's strange is that his character doesn't hate Talos, he just sees him as a nuisance standing in the way of his destiny. (our campaign is about political intrigue and liches that are at war with each other)
>>
>>47538345
If I was the DM in that campaign that would not end well for him

I do give a disclaimer to all my players that wish shenanigans can and will backfire

But hey, maybe this would be a good opportunity to make things a bit more interesting
>player replaces Talos
>with the power of a god ends the BBEG
>other gods do not take kindly to messing so directly in mortal matters
>new campaign arc: war of gods
>every PC becomes a god by the end

Mite b coo
>>
File: PRfyS.jpg (709 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
PRfyS.jpg
709 KB, 1920x1200
>>47535947
>tower of the stargazer
damn that remined me of Stargazer by rainbow thanks man!

>in the heat and the rain with whips and chains!
>to see him fly! so many died
>we buitt a tower of stone with our flesh and bone!
>>
>>47537967

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out, though I'm worried it might not be in character unless i find a homebrew pact or something, I'll look into it, it also depends on wether the GM enforces multiclass prereqs (coincidentally i dumped cha like it was an ugly baby), he's relatively lax with rules that don't concern battling.

The classes I'm looking at right now is barb/rogue, the prior for it's defensive capabilities(UD/rage resistances) and the latter for the bonus damage/features as soon as i get my 3rd attack
>>
>>47538543
If you're not sure about the pact and multiclassing you can just take magic initiate
>>
>>47538543

>>47538543
If you go for the Magic Initiate feat, you can get one cast of hex per day (it lasts an hour /concentrate) which you can apply to one person at a time, giving them disadvantage on your technique rolls. It casts as a bonus action, and doesn't need a roll to hit or give a save! It'll give you a little bonus damage, too.

You also get two Cantrips you can cast as much as you like - if your casting stat is low, I wouldn't bother with eldritch blast (you've got a bow for that), and I'd get True Strike (gives you advantage on the next attack - Great for rogues and using maneuvers) and maybe minor illusion, prestidigitation, or mage hand for being generally useful without relying on your CHA.

Rogue fits better than barbarian for ranged weapons as you're more likely to get sneak attack damage in than use strength weapons.
>>
>>47538689

I'm very aware of rogue being better for ranged characters and it's the one class I'm definitely gonna keep putting levels into. As I said, my reason for considering barbarian(and a 1 level dip at that) is it's defensive features rather than the offensive ones.
>>
Hey guys. PC of mine wanted to make a dual wielding berserker and was pretty bummed down that it wasn't "encouraged" by the design of the Berserker subclass.

What would you guys think if Frenzy read as such, instead:

Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. Whenever you take the Attack action on your turn, you may add one of your remaining Hit Die to the attack's damage roll. You can choose to use this feature after you make the attack roll, but before the DM determines whether the attack succeeds or fails. The additional damage does not benefit from the Brutal Critical class feature.
Additionally, when a creature that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to spend one of your remaining Hit Die, substracting the number rolled from the creature's total damage.
> Hit dice spent this way are regained upon finishing a long rest, as explained in the Player's Handbook - Chapter 8.

I feel it's a bit too powerful, but at the same time the Totemic features are pretty crazy as well. I feel like this new Frenzy is thematically correct, and never more powerful than each of the Totemic features'. It also respects the action economy system and doesn't allow for crazy critical strikes.

What do you guys think?
>>
File: external.jpg (15 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
external.jpg
15 KB, 650x366
>Playing D&D past 3.5e
>>
>>47538081
What's the 3 in rogue for? Assassin crit on surprise rounds? From the looks of it this is an eldrich barrage build so I'm assuming your not trying to add in sneak attack.
>>
>>47535071
War Caster is an amazing feat, especially for bards !

> You can perform the som atic com ponents of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
>>
>>47538796
>coming into a 5e thread just to stir up shit.
>>
>>47538796
>playing the best editions instead of stopping at the worst
>>
>>47538835
It's also pretty essential for cleric's who aren't ranged. Advantage on concentration checks is pretty awesome too.
>>
>>47538788
It seems balanced enough actually, though I would allow him to decide whether to add his HD to damage or not once he knows whether it hits

Either way, you might want to take a look at >>47538295, I'm putting together a barbarian path specifically for the dual wielding viking madman type
>>
>>47538345
Let him.
Do as >>47538394 says
Make it so his wish backfires, causing the whole party to become gods. Boost party to level 20, and to represent God-hood, give them 10 boons. Boons can be normal ability score increases (+2 or 2 +1s), a feat, or an epic boon (DMG, after the artefacts). Give them Immortality and Planar Travel, and let the choose how they spend the other eight, preferably on what will make them closer to the god they want to overthrow, so Sorcerer takes Stormborn, Thief takes Undetectability, etc. Give them magic weapons to match. Give your sorcerer storm giant belt, and a fuckton of lightning javelins, and other Don't know what other characters are, but you can probably think of something. Go all out
>>
>>47538796
Come on now anon, even 4e is better than 3.PF

The only reason why my group isn't alternating between 5 and 4 is because the wizards site doesn't have the character builder anymore
>>
How do I find friends to play DnD with? All my friends are normies
>>
>>47538961
Introduce them, most of my friends are normies too and they took to 5e really well
>>
>>47538975
My friends smoke and watch tv all day I guarantee you they are not gonna take to dnd
>>
>>47538961
>look into Adventures league and see if there are any groups in your area.
>put the name of your town and "dnd" into the Facebook search bar to see if there is a community of DnD players set up in your area.
>do the same but in Google.
>If all above fail, try roll 20 until you find a group.
>or if you have the time and money, go to a con that has DnD as one of the events and play there, then see if any of the event hosts know of DnD groups near your area.

I actually met my group because I went to a con and they told me where and when all the groups in my area met.
>>
>>47539014
Hate to break it to you anon, but those aren't normies, those are losers
>>
>>47539028
Yeah I found someone stuff on the reddit for my city. The head of the tabletop society was posting some stuff there. He seems pretty chill honestly, I'll keep an eye out but maybe thats the way to go.

I kind of had more of just a comfy group of lads in someones house chilling out rather than some kind of soc though.
>>
>>47538944
>halfling rogue
>lucky feat
>boons of luck and fate, and undetectability
>luck blade, both of the decks, and ring of three wishes
>go around fucking with mortals, tricking them into helping you defeat the old God of fate
>>
File: oath.png (695 KB, 763x757) Image search: [Google]
oath.png
695 KB, 763x757
Reworked this homebrew Paladin Oath a bit from yesterday after some input from a few friends. Any thoughts about the mechanics of it? I don't intend to widely distribute this, it was made specifically for a character in a homebrew setting.
>>
>>47538961
if you're going to have to find people to play tabletop rpgs with, at least find people interested in playing a good one
>>
>>47539053
Yeah I know that feel. It's much nicer being in a house than a store. My group of friends and I tried that but every time, without fair, the campaign would die off by session 5 because half the group would not make an effort to show up after a few sessions.

Though I've now made new friends since and kicked out the most problematic one so I plan to try one more time to host an at home campaign.
>>
>>47539233
Seems balanced, if a bit wonky in terms of fluff, but I'm guessing it makes sense within your setting

>aura of seduction
Oh baby
>>
>>47539299
Probably gonna have to brave the stores/socs/clubs whatever just to meet people. Maybe when I find a 40k/wargaming club back in uni next year I'll meet some lads who are into DnD.
>>
>>47539382
You'll definitely find people in university who are willing! Uni groups can be rad - enjoy it!
>>
>>47539233
Bargained Reach: why not 30ft range? Simplicity in design is a good thing.

Aura is probably too strong, and will make you (DM) roll a lot more in combat. Gonna be annoying.

Relentless is meh and a bit "forced synergy" imo. Inelegant.

What is Aura of Wrath?

I like it but needs tweaking i think.
>>
>>47539394
>>
>>47539379
Yeah, the fluff is a bit placeholdery. I'll be changing it before he receives it based on how he interacts with this fiend when I introduce her into the story.

I know the Divine Smite is a nerf, but I figured it was needed due to the strength of the other abilities and spells.

>aura of seduction
Well, it is a Cambion, daughter of a succubus. His backstory involves him searching for a deity, so I thought I would go this route. Depending on his actions, his alignment will slowly shift towards the fiends', or the fiends' will shift towards his.
>>
>>47539410
>Bargained Reach: why not 30ft range? Simplicity in design is a good thing.
Fair point. I'll modify that to 30ft.

>Aura is probably too strong, and will make you (DM) roll a lot more in combat. Gonna be annoying.
I've been trying to come up with something unique that isn't stealing from another ability. Originally, it was "Aura of Wrath" and increased crit range to 19 and 20.

>Relentless is meh and a bit "forced synergy" imo. Inelegant.
Suggestions? I've looked at the other oath abilities at this level and thought it was fairly in-line with them.

>Aura of Wrath
The old Aura. Forgot to reword it to be Aura of Seduction.
>>
>>47539417
>her
>daughter
>his

So which is it? Or is it some kind of genderfluid ranma business?
>>
>>47539453
It's me not wording things clearly enough because coffee is still brewing. Please forgive me.

His = PC, Her = Cambion in question.
>>
>>47539441
Increased crit thresold by itself wouldn't have been too bad, but the way you originally worded it basically gave everyone auto-crits IIRC

How about just giving an extra die on critical hits?
>>
>>47539491
I actually had that in place before I came up with the current implementation. I feel like the current aura fits better with the oath on the whole, even if it does require a lot more rolls in combat.

I'm still open to changing it. Do you think the extra die on crits would be a better implementation and fit than the current aura?
>>
>>47538295
Anyone wanna give me some feedback on this?
>>
>>47539527
Depends on what you find more thematically appropriate, you said it's a succubus so seduction would fit, but maybe in a way that requires less rolling?
I was looking at the succubus in the MM and it doesn't really have anything that could reasonably be used as an aura
>>
>>47538543
That was bad advice, actually. You can take Magic Initiate instead of multiclassing to not fall behind on your Fighter levels. But more importantly, Hex gives disadvantage on ability checks, not saving throws. So it would work if you were trying to grapple or shove them, or give disadvantage on Wisdom checks to help out the rogue.
>>
>>47539527
No. Crits wouldnt fit well, i think.

Aura:
- allies in range have adv. against charmed (mb add: not ur charms).
- enemies within 10ft must succeed WIS against ur DC when attacking you. Same as Sanctuary spell.
>>
>>47539625
It seems fine, but in addition to/instead of the auto crit on wood shit, how about advantage on attacks and skill checks against structures and containers to force them open or destroy them? If you''re really a batshit Viking berserker then mashing all kinds of doors should be a cakewalk, right?
>>
>>47539688
That's how I ended up where I did. Nothing a Succubus has really works for an aura, and a raw "Charm person" aura would be OP. So, I ended up with this.

>>47539738
You would add the advantage against charms as you worded it and buff it to mirror Sanctuary but only for the Paladin and not the party?
>>
>>47539759
Makes sense, I'll probably use that when I actually publish the thing

Also I'm changing the lv3 skill so the fighting style is always active but the no reactions thing only happens when raging
>>
>>47539814
Yes. But i dont like it that much, just throwing ideas. Im on mobile so pretty hard to go into details. Gonna think on it a bit more.
>>
>>47539814
Why not make his aura activate at the start of battle and you roll a D20 for every milestone or two you hit.
Then whenever someone with less HP than your aura's number walks into it, they start rolling for saves?
>>
>>47539856
Thanks for taking the time and mulling over it. If people actually like it, I might release it somewhere for free.

>>47539866
From a DM perspective, I'm totally fine with that. I think DMs should bend rules a bit to expedite things, although I think trying to word that would be fairly difficult.

On to the "Relentless" feature that was mentioned as inelegant. What if it was modified to mirror Purifying Touch to spend 5 HP to remove a charm effect from an ally while still granting the same immunity to the Paladin it does now?
>>
>>47539814
I like the advantage against charm and sanctuary idea, it seems balanced and thematically appropriate
>>
>>47531799

not entirely related but this is literally my favourite art style, does anybody know any guides or even the name of this style?
>>
>>47539932
Meant Cleansing Touch, not Purifying Touch.

>>47539942
I feel like it is a bit weak compared to other auras and the nerf that Divine Smite and Oath spells get by having their damage type changed to Fire.

That being said, this is my first homebrew. I'll adjust it to this now and see how it goes if this character even reaches level 7.
>>
>>47540001
One thing I always try to keep in mind when I make homebrew is that if it seems weak but not awful then it's usually good, or at least more likely to be accepted by DMs
>>
Is the SCAG worth buying? Lot of new class options?
>>
Is there a way to turn eldritch blast damage to fire or (even better) radiant?
>>
>>47540337
Just download the PDF, I want to buy it at some point but most people dislike it
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.