[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /tg/, there's stories about heroes scoring attacks in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: f-1.jpg (1 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
f-1.jpg
1 MB, 5184x3456
So /tg/, there's stories about heroes scoring attacks in the weak spots of enemies and slaying them almost instantly, and if not, hampering them so severely that they surrender.

Do you ever apply mechanics or RP'ing like this into your game, if only for special moments?
>>
>>47513917
Let's see how long it takes everyone to notice what's wrong with pic related, OP...I noticed it almost immediately.
>>
>>47513953
pls tell, I'm not good at searching pictures
>>
>>47513917
HP is an abstraction. HP was always an abstraction. HP will always be an abstraction. That means hitting 0 HP can represent anything from the last blow that finally brings down the wounded ogre, the PC's hammering on the dragons thick scaley hide until they get lucky and finally find it's weakspot, or the duelists luck finally running out and taking a blade through the chest. It is purely limited by your lack of imagination. This is why so many people complain about it, because they're autistic shitters who need everything handed to them
>>
>>47514029
all I can see is that 2 girls have different shoes from the rest and one has no necklace and a different dress. Nothing is peeking from what I can tell too, so IDK what else it could be.
>>
>>47514218
Is it the other award ribbon in the upper left corner?
>>
File: epic level combat.png (691 KB, 836x1200) Image search: [Google]
epic level combat.png
691 KB, 836x1200
>player attempts to attack foe in different way
>impose a small penalty based on difficulty or have them make a skill check (such as acrobatics) but also award them an Action Die
>>
>>47513917
That's what Sneak Attack is for, isn't it?
>>
>>47513953
>>47514029
>>47515612
Miss Italla?
>>
In DnD, that's called "you made the enemy reach 0 HP".

You hack and slash and hit etc etc and finally you find that one weak spot in their armor or flaw in their fighting style and that's what let you enact the final blow.
This attrition is represented via HP.
>>
>>47514218
Heh, tiny elephants on the shoes.
>>
I try to put at least something in the environment to use in big fights unless it should be a particularly empty area for some reason. If there's nothing to interact with aside from attacking monsters it just starts to become about builds and getting higher numbers. I would rarely make it some sort of instant death weak point though, since while that's fine for telling a story it's kind of shit for a game unless it took something a little elaborate to figure out or reach the weak point
>>
>>47513917
It's bad, in-game. Anticlimatic.
I do something similar, throwing in a 'necessary condition' (like finding the lich phylactery, the cold iron sword, breaking the flow of mana, subverting the generals...) to 'unlock' the bbeg's battle.
But the final conflict has to be climatic, hard, and push the resources to the limit. It's how the genre works!
Add in objectives during the battle, traps, time sensitive rituals, reinforcements arriving, princesses bleeding out, to make it more dynamic, nobody like a static slogging battle that goes on turn by turn.
>>
>>47513953
is it the one girl without straps on her dress, or what
>>
>>47513917
The last time I used it, the weakpoint was the life support system of the BBEG that she was still chained to in spite of her horrific final form.

They avoided it like the plague, since the BBEG was an NPC they had gotten super attached to before they knew she was the villain, and wanted to rebefriend her after this.
>>
>>47520711
no it clearly says Italia
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.