[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have put in creative charge of the next Magic block. The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 1441562268562.jpg (192 KB, 1280x678) Image search: [Google]
1441562268562.jpg
192 KB, 1280x678
You have put in creative charge of the next Magic block. The remit you have been given is to come up with a new plane that has not been previously represented in M:tG and a general overview of what the setting is "about" (i.e Arthurian knights, tomb-delving etc) and what each of the colours look like on this plane, how they are represented in different factions or races.

What do you do?
>>
>>47512019

A world where the pure Empire of Man (White) constantly mans a wall against the subhumans.
>>
>>47512059

Its name: Trumpvania.
>>
The most generic fantasy world ever. Knights fighting dragons, goblins, zombies, etc. Mostly creatures, a few equipments (equippable only to humans), some tribal instants/sorceries (that can only be cast if you have an appropriately-typed creature), no enchantments, no magic. No races other than humans and the 4-6 monster types. No multicolored cards. Avaricious Dragon and Fiendslayer Paladin are the duel deck cover cards.

Imagine how fun the drafts would be.
>>
>>47512349
Shit, thats cool. Thats part of the reason why I like Innistrad, it's a well-done, classic magical world with vampires, zombies, werewolves, mages, gothic architecture, churches, etc. Shadows and original Innistrad were also great because they were functionally fun too.

I've got an idea from another thread that I'll post later, it's pretty neat
>>
>>47512019
Anime plane
>>
A plane where the old ones won, and have swallowed up much of the world under their control. A tiny group of mixed race forces fights back the abbherant.

Mechanics wise, pit single legendaries and creatures who pivot off them against board altering enchantments, Mooks and their masters. Flay as a keyword: when this creature attacks, discard a card or put the top two cards of your library in the graveyard. Mill combos and token spam pit against aggro, control or just straight burn.

Not sure how the colors would lay out but it'd certainly be interesting
>>
>>47512349
>no enchantments, no magic

How is that generic fantasy?
>>
>>47514350
kamigawa is already a thing
>>
>>47512019
A plane formed around and fed by the decaying corpse of a long-dead Eldrazi.

This results in a cross between pre-colonization America and Alice in Wonderland, where not!Indians use surreal rituals to invoke the favor of even more surreal spirits.
The plot consists of a few Planeswalkers coming to investigate, freaking out about there being a dead Eldrazi, freaking out about something having killed an Eldrazi, and trying to figure out what exactly's going on and why their shadows are giving them advice and if they should follow it or not.
Spirits are very important, are prominent in all colors, and have most of the stranger abilities. Other types often have abilities specifically affecting Spirits, but rarely in a straightforward manner.
No new mechanics are introduced, but a lot of old ones are brought back and used in increasingly strange ways. For example, Splice is common, but Arcane isn't used at all. Instead, there are spells that can be Spliced onto creatures, already Spliced spells, or even opponents' spells to hinder them.
The weirdness doesn't end there, though. Many creatures have awkward and unique abilities like "When a spell with CMC equal to ~'s power is cast, put a +1/+1 counter on ~" or "While ~ is blocked by a red creature, it loses Indestructible and gains Infect and Trample."
I don't keep up with Magic.
>>
>>47516344
Feudal Japan =/= Shonen Anime
>>
File: 1439863505763.jpg (95 KB, 736x508) Image search: [Google]
1439863505763.jpg
95 KB, 736x508
>>47512019
It'd be a bottom up plane, designed around the idea of mana. It'd be a plane that mana production has become wild, leaving things mana saturated and things very raw and unrefined.

As a result things would have high straight color costs, and less generic costs. Pretty common to see UU over 1U. Artifacts are crude but powerful.

The story would be about Nico Bolas seeking to harvest the plane or otherwise make it solely his domain, while the Jacetice league try to figure out how this plane came to be.

>Red
Big burn spells. Creatures produce R during the upkeep step that can only be used for instant spell or sorceries. Dragons are huge and plentiful. Plenty of Pump X. Land burn is also huge.

>Blue
Pretty unblue in that there isn't a lot of subtly, but sticks with the basic mechanics. Ways to stop people from attacking or casting spells instead of reversing them. Mana tax is common as a splash ability. Gains the ability to land hunt and scry for lands well.

>White
Mana tax, mana burn, and other punishments for other players, Weenies galore who can convoke. Damn efficient compared to other colors, but not a lot of creature abilities.

>Black
Lots of sacrifice creatures or when this creature is destroyed gain X Black mana. Gains Parasite unique keyword which drains mana equal as much damage this creature deals this turn.

>Green
HUGE. HUGE EVERYTHING. Lots of taps elves who tap for mana or make other elves do stuff with mana. Huge theme of nature overcoming, and nature rampant. Unique keyword Rampant X that gives +1 P/T as long as you have 5 lands on the field.

Overall the idea is people will get to use huge showy stuff without a lot of efficiency worries which will let players feel great about doing cool things.
>>
A Mad Max styled Diesel world that just recently suffered it's Apocolypse
>>
File: Masyrica.png (594 KB, 1508x780) Image search: [Google]
Masyrica.png
594 KB, 1508x780
>>47512019
I use my not!Egypt plane that I made. Mechanical focus is on Gods, Traps, and Enemy color pairs

Races are mostly human. Maybe some cat people for white or some viashino in Red.
>>
>>47516177
Knights vs monsters, dumbass.
>>
File: mistake.png (132 KB, 429x463) Image search: [Google]
mistake.png
132 KB, 429x463
>>47516344
>Kamigawa
>anime plane
>>
>>47517220
>Gains the ability to land hunt and scry for lands well.
Blue already has the best raw card advantage, giving it the ability to ramp like Green does (because there are Green ramp spells that work like that) would break it in fucking half. No.

The rest of this is fucking sweet, though
>>
>>47517220
>Gains Parasite unique keyword which drains mana equal as much damage this creature deals this turn.
Wording for "mana draining," however you want that to work, is going to be a ruling trainwreck. As cool as the idea is I have no idea how you could get it to work.
>>
>>47518470
It's like lifelink but for mana.
>>
>>47518726
But you are getting all that mana when you can't use it except for instants and can be countered by your opponent not floating mana.
>>
>>47518726
>Damage dealt by the creature also causes its controller to add that much mana to their mana pool.
? That sounds doable, actually. When you said "drain" I thought you meant it would reduce the amount of mana the opponent had, somehow.
As it is, though, I would want it to contain a clause preventing mana draining at the end of steps for that turn once it does damage. So, something like
>Damage dealt by the creature also causes its controller to add that much B to their mana pool. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.
I'd make it just add B because you said it was just going to be Black mechanic. Having it add B would be flavorful as well as supportive of the heavy-color cost theme you made up originally.
>>
>>47512019
A plane of the dead, where the memories and tradegies of those lost, and things that left major impacts remain as Echos. Stuff like the Eldrazi dying would leave imprints of Ulamogg, but now scarred and burned. Bits and pieces of Mirrordin, and other lost/dead things. The main gimic would be based around Echos: If this card shares a type with a card in the grave yard, reduce mana cost by X, along with some special abilities that trigger if a card dies. Another mechanic would be based around throwing cards into your grave yard, which transforms them.

The colors would feature a lot of deceased characters, and twisted versions of spells. All spells have a way to get back cards from the graveyard , discard or exile.

The final boss of the plane is the sentient culmination if the Planeswalker war, and it being the last "technical" old walker.
>>
>>47518901
"Echo" is already a mechanic though
>All spells have a way to get back cards from the graveyard , discard or exile.
What, every single spell has a way to recur other spells? What the fuck? That would be insane.
>>
>>47512019

An Alice in Wonderland themed plane with enemy-color factions including the Queen of Hearts in WR and the mad tea-party in UR. Rabbits are a major tribe, as are rats and cats.
MtG already has moonfolk as rabbit-people. Maybe moonfolk make a reappearance?

WR: The Queen of Hearts, and her knights
UG: The Cheshire Cat, cats and illusions
RU: The Mad Hatter
GB: The Caterpillar, plants, insects
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.