[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Medieval Military Demographics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Sup /tg/, I am in the process of creating demographics for my world and I need a little help, I have been looking into the % of the population which can be raised as a campaign army, I have seen a few numbers thrown around from 1% to 10% generally.

What percentage of the army is generally mounted knights?

How big are mercenary companies?

How many soldiers in a force will be trained and how many will be farmers with a spear?
>>
>>47511465
That REALLY depends on the culture, society, their wealth, and the fertility of their land.

What you should ultimately be looking at is professional warriors, and how many men are required to serve their lords in militias.
>>
>>47511511
Thats what I have been trying to find, but lots of different sources differ vastly, what do you use in your games as a general rule?
>>
>>47511536
Go by the fluff and what works for the narrative you're trying to tell.
>>
>>47511561
Well I cant argue with that
>>
>>47511465
>What percentage of the army is generally mounted knights?

Tiny tiny tiny. 15th century France, already pretty late for a "medieval" setting, had an estimated population of about 11 million, and about 40-50,000 knights. So we're looking at about 0.004% of the population.

>How big are mercenary companies?

Enormously varies depending on local conditions.

>How many soldiers in a force will be trained and how many will be farmers with a spear?

Again, enormously varies depending on the local conditions.

How many people in general live in these areas? How wealthy are they? What is the level of social organization? How frequent are wars, and how intense are they? Is the dominant mode of warfare raid, counter-raid, and pillage, or one of large scale expeditions to try to occupy and annihilate and displace the local population with a new one? How easily available is metal? Wood? How skilled are the local craftsemen? How fertile are the local food sources, and how much of the population has to spend their full time in agriculture or a related field to make sure everyone eats? How bad are the disease rates, which is linked to how urban is the population?

You have to come up with answers to things like that first if you want to solve for what kind of an army your society can come up with, rather than working the other way around.
>>
>>47511643
Cheers for the answers, you have given me some funky ideas
>>
>>47511643
And each Knight will have a squire, retainers, possibly a household guard. You're talking anywhere from 100,000-400,000 and that's BEFORE town militias and all that jazz.
>>
>>47511643
That's 0,4% actually
You suck at maths.
>>
>>47511728

Oh, most defintiely, but don't forget, actually assembling all of that in one place is nigh impossible. Even before you get to the logistical issues, in a lot of medieval societies, you had all these feudal ties of obligation which was how you assembled your forces, which meant that you couldn't mobilize everyone at will, but only at certain times or under certain conditions. And even that's not dealing with the inevitable recalcitrant nobility who tries to get out of it or drags its feet which happens for every campaign.
>>
>>47511863
And that's when the narrative and fluff comes in.
>>
>>47511465
>how many will be farmers with a spear?
In the region of none to none unless you are literally knocking on their door.
>>
>>47512258
M8 there were citizen militias all the way from the 6th century all the way to the 15th in one part of Europe or another. Fairly sure the Fyrd survived at least two thirds of that time period.
>>
>>47512506
Citizen militias are one thing, but "farmers with a spear" implies peasant levies, which were rarely if ever used in anything other than emergency situations.
>>
>>47511465
Mercenary companies, usually pikemen, formed the core of most medieval armies. The peasant levies were crappy soldiers, to win battles you needed pros who knew how to use their weapons and wouldn't flee the first time a knight charged them.
>>
>>47516294
Peasant levies were almost never a thing. The Fyrd was several families and farms supporting a single warrior with horse with perhaps a small retinue.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.