[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: roll20.png (186 KB, 500x731) Image search: [Google]
roll20.png
186 KB, 500x731
Why
>>
>>47502613
Despite being bad games, D&D and Pathfinder are popular.
>>
because newbies who pick up the boxset without looking at other stuff and people with shit taste
>>
>>47502671
>>47502678
>I'm a faggot

Despite your endless bitching, D&D are still good games and no one cares about your gay opinions.
>>
>>47502613
Because D&D will always be a go-to, that thing you can reasonably acquire players for because everyone and their mother knows it. And since that's not going to change you may as well just play whatever it is you want and leave people to be content with their one system.
>>
>>47502709
They are good games but not that good
>>
>>47502709
D&D is really three or four different games, and each of the offerings vary in quality. Sorry.
>>
>>47502613
Matthew effect
>>
>>47502678
What boxset?
>>
>>47502613
5e keeps growing on there. Last time the sum of the other editions was over the 5e total.

Of course, there was more diversity in the list too.
>>
>>47502613
>WoD 2.4%

How the mighty are fallen.
>>
>>47502613

"Dungeons and Dragons" is the modern shorthand for tabletop roleplaying game. If you said to a normie "I play RPGS", you would have to explain that no, you don't mean WoW, no you don't mean computer RPG's etc. If you said "I play D&D" they'd probably have a rough idea of what it means just from media references to D&D (even if those media references aren't great).

So it's the first game most people try, which means it's the first game most people attach to. and the easiest to recruit for to play on the regular. Pathfinder enjoys success by being just D&D enough that it can leech players from D&D.

>>47502709
>>47502744

Honestly, I have nothing particular against PF or 5e (3.5 was ehhh) but I would argue that they're not the best "first games" for the hobby because there's a comparatively steep learning curve compared to other RPGs on the market.
>>
>>47502613
>Why
Congratulation.
Now do you know why /mu/ is the way it is and act the way it acts.
>>
Just face it, nobody will ever play that obscure system that you like. Even if it's good, they'll never even hear of it.
>>
>>47502613
So what did you want to see in the top 10 then?
>>
>>47505495
>Even if it's good, they'll never even hear of it.
I learned this with music, and now I search deeply every single hobby I start to get into, every single one.

But I may missing hobbies that I dont get into because the most famous stuff sucks and I am judging the entire hobby because of it
>>
>>47502613
>Roll20
>representative of tabletop community
That said, of course DnD will be more popular than other games, it's the gateway into the hobby.
>>
>>47504483

If you ask me, 3.5 was better than Pathfinder.

Not baiting. My genuine opinion. 3.5 gives me nostalgia feels of my early intro to fantasy though so it's probably just that.

A cat with 3 hp and an owl with 4 hp us enough to set me off though. Such animals should have 1 up and need a crit hit to even do any damage.
>>
>>47505761
House cats and other incredibly minor animals don't even need stat blocks, in my opinion.
>>
>>47505816
They only ever had one for animal companions, and those do not really ever count as animals past like 2nd level.

The lethality of those have been overstated, just like in WoD were a cat can not actually hurt someone outside of bruised in all but the most bullshit of situations.
>>
>>47505816

I mean, I think you do. And a cat, if lucky, could cause serious damage. But...it should only be on a crit. I've been attacked by cats and they could fuck you up but as a 3 to 4 go commoner even I would be fine 90percent of the time. Sale with hawks.

A first level pc is basically a normal person durability wise. Maybe twice as tough. But if a cat or hawk got at your throat (ie crit hit) you might have an issue.
>>
>>47505864

Requesting green txt of the guy in WoD who got critted by the cat and was severely hurt after he tried to shoot it for lulzrandumb reasons.
>>
>>47502709
>3.5 is good
>Pathfinder is good

You disgust me.
>>
>>47506045
>I'm a triggered little bitch on a D&D board

If you get this upset, you might want to stick to some Reddit Subreddits.
>>
>>47506086
>fishing for replies on 40k board
Go away, summerchild
>>
>>47506120
>le old warhammer wednesdays meme

There were always more D&D threads and posters, and still are, and likely always will be. Add that to how the constant D&D in /v/ threads actually were something to pay attention to, rather than the one-day-a-week spam that happened in the spam board, it's evident from the name itself (traditional games as a split from video games) that D&D played a larger part in the creation of this board than what 40kids imagine.

Still, you're not wholely wrong, since this is the /mtg/ board as well, as well as all the other major traditional games. If one of these games triggers you so bad that you need to shitpost every single time it's mentioned, you might want save yourself the heart trouble and go find your little niche on Reddit.
>>
>>47502613
You do realize that most people don't give much of a shit and /tg/ is way too autistic over the whole topic?
>>
>>47502613
D&D 5e is actually pretty good.
>>
>>47506120
>the /tg/ was literally created for warhammer

This is a lie perpetuated by 40k players to feel special and to justify spamming retarded threads.

There's no proof of this claim. None.

/tg/ was made for far more than 40k, which is why it's not called /40k/. To even try and argue otherwise would demand some measure of proof, and there isn't any to back the claim that Moot was even aware of Warhammer Wednesdays. Hell, he likely would have made a furry containment board long before he even realized that there were a few people who made a couple of threads that would get swallowed up within /b/.

So, please, if you plan on perpetuating the lie of "/tg/ was created for warhammer", provide some proof. Any proof.
>>
I do homebrew *cough* fuck my life I made a thread *cough* and I find I make my own game with my own system just using d&d as support...if you don't like a system change it till it works for you I guess.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.