[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Commanding a force of shaven-headed monks, he’d evaded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
>Commanding a force of shaven-headed monks, he’d evaded and deflected my crushing attacks, landing quick, stinging blows whenever I dropped my guard, the Bruce Lee to my Andre the Giant.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/10/magic-the-gathering-pop-culture-hit-where-next

Why do mainstream sources always couch their narratives in such flavorful ways? Does it bother you?
>>
>>47497914

Absolutely. Only the most dry and clinically accurate descriptions of the exacting turn order and sequence of operations in a Magic the Gathering card game should be allowed. Any attempt at prose, narrative, or imagination should be staunchly prohibited from any such recounting.
>>
>>47497962

When mainstream journalists speak of chess, they do not conjure up images of medieval battles with knight striking down priests at the behest of queens etc.

Does this bother you?
>>
>>47497914
Because they're mainstream.

"I sacced two enchantments and tapped Monk of the Punching Fist to activate his ability to scry two and deal damage equal to the square root of the number of legendary lands in my graveyard while my opponent blocked with his tokens and countered my spliced Chain Nuke with Brain Fart by discarding three artifact creatures" wouldn't exactly make someone unfamiliar with MtG to want to try it. Or indeed tell them anything at all.
>>
>>47498000
>wouldn't exactly make someone unfamiliar with MtG to want to try it

Is anyone drawn to the game by these goofy stories?
>>
>>47497992

Absolutely. Only the most imaginative and colorful descriptions of the sequence of play as a narrative in a Chess game should be allowed. Any attempt at clinical recounting, exacting turn order description, or dispassionate recording should be staunchly prohibited from any such chronicle.
>>
>>47498044
>>47497962
I like it when you say 'staunchly prohibited'. It lends yourself some credence in regards to your piffling intelligence.
>>
>>47497914
>Why do mainstream sources always couch their narratives in such flavorful ways?
Ever heard the expression "don't let facts get in the way of a good story"? That expression defines modern media. By the end of the day a newspaper, the journal and the like are all products and services, products and services that want to sell. Integrity, facts and whistleblowing may play an important role for a few individuals (these individuals tend to get massively fucked over too, just look at Assange) but for the industry as a whole they're inconveniences.

>Does it bother you?
Yeah, but what're we gonna do about it? Create a State Institution for Integrity that polices the media? That can't possibly go wrong and result in pro-establishment state propaganda now can it?
>>
The only issue with this article is the second photograph labeled "Players in Magic: The Gathering build competing decks from their own collections of cards" while it's obviously taken from a draft.
>>
>>47498032
Considering I was drawn back into MtG after a decade by stories of Nicol Bolas using Nicol Bolas a weapon to smack people with?

Yes.
>>
>>47501822
>That can't possibly go wrong and result in pro-establishment state propaganda now can it?

But that already happens so I guess at this point then nothing can go wrong.
>>
File: 1452617555023.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452617555023.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>47497914
Why do girls pretend to like Magic?
>>
>>47502196

Girls are good at pretending to like other things. Sometimes they even pretend to like other girls!
>>
>>47502196
Attention from unspoken for men. Even if they have no interest in those men, the virtually endless attention you can get from merely attending a "geeky" con is like a fucking opiate to women.
>>
>>47497914
if anything I hate how they try and make everything sound way more exciting than it actually is. and then you have to explain this shit to your parents and relatives. specifically to this, things like how Magic has a more diverse playerbase these days, but he still describes his opponent as "a softly spoken twentysomething in a t-shirt bearing the indecipherable logo of a Scandinavian extreme metal band". like what the fuck did you wear to the game, a goddamn three piece suit and fedora with a press pass in the band? and then if a parent or relative of mine just happened to read this article they'd be like "lol you play Magic right, where's ur metal band shirt?????"

I also don't know how to feel about "first same-sex couple", like Alesha was a big deal, she's a named character with a story and everything, but all we got for Guardians of Meletis is something a developer once said, and that's way too easy to refute with "clearly one of those rulers was a girl" (nevermind this was the Greek plane and ancient Greek dudes were pretty fuckin gay)
>>
>>47502196
>>47502214
>>47502364
>go to local con
>haven't bathed in a few days
>what's a toothbrush?
>go get some food after panel about buying dakimakuras
>see moderately attractive girl playing magic at subway
>get an awkward boner
>fuck
>sheepishly eat sandwich as I watch her play from the corner
>her deck isn't optimal wtf
>probably just threw two sample decks into card sleeves
>she wins anyway
>the guy she's playing must be a beta and let her win
>watch her and her friends leave
>whatever
>go watch some moeshit show with my friend cause I promised him
>see that girl again waiting by water fountain
>tell her how hot her average sized tits are
>gets repulsed by my manly aroma and leaves
>what a bitch
>run into different friend
>spend some time with him looking for merch
>see girl again
>this time with even more friends
>at least two of her friends are male
>fuck no wonder she's here
>clearly gives attention to these losers to get free stuff for games she's never played
>fuck her and her friends
>spend the rest of day getting dinner and playing magic in hallway
>take last bus home
>get home and complain to other anons about this girl
>fap to this girl
>maybe I'll see her again tomorrow
>>
>>47502196
hats off to those chaps for not staring at her butt shes got a cracking arse
>>
>>47502898
Take a shower and brush your teeth, you disgusting slob.
>>
>>47497914
Because by using words with strong emotional connotations and descriptive words they influence the way an article is perceived, usually favouring articles that align with the viewers opinions as determined by the editor to increase and maintain viewership. Yes, it aggravates the shit out of me. The news should be entirely neutral and as factual as possible. Brutal is not a word that should ever be in a news article
>>
>>47502898
Nice blog, but how is this related to anything?
>>
>>47502196
That woman looks like a giant
>>
>>47497914
What? No, that doesn't bother me at all, that's why cards have pictures of stuff on them in the first place.

What bothers me is the way the Guardian has to shoehorn in something about women because they simply cannot write an article about X, it always has to be about X and how women feel about it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.