[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has a girl ever asked you to get her into tabletop? If so, how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: 1464277107170.jpg (115 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1464277107170.jpg
115 KB, 640x960
Has a girl ever asked you to get her into tabletop?
If so, how did it turn out?
>>
>>47495153
It mas surprise you, but women like tabletop too. They don't need to be invited in.
>>
Yes. Reasonably well. I put together small army she could use, she played for a year or so. Then we broke up. Couple months later she called to buy the army off me.
>>
>>47495153
Yes.
Poorly.
Shadowrun is for fags and that's all they wanted to play.
>>
>>47495153
The GIRL shitposter must have been unbanned.
>>
>>47495319

Well i think they would be invited in. You don't just show up and expect to join or force it on people anon :^ )
>>
Yes. On three occasions. Worked well the first time; now we're married. Worked well the second time, she's now my best friend other than my wife and has introduced gaming to her family too. We play a monthly game. Just recently asked by a co-worker but have yet to arrange the game, so we'll see how it goes.
>>
File: 1459215980560.gif (809 KB, 250x168) Image search: [Google]
1459215980560.gif
809 KB, 250x168
>>47495319
>They don't need to be invited in.

Of all the women I've seen who like tabletop this has never been the case. Maybe it's just my area.
>>
>>47495153
Yes. A friend's (at the time) girlfriend.
She misunderstood the difference between "castles and dragons and saving the village fantasy roleplaying" and "crappy romance novel fantasy roleplaying".
She played for 10 minutes and dropped it forever, fairly understandably.

One of my own exes asked to play D&D with us. She had fun but was dogshit at her own customization and deferred to me for build choices. As a consequence when it was my turn to DM I wouldn't help her and she got disenchanted since she preferred playing over building. She still plays periodically.
>>
File: tbcancer2.jpg (59 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
tbcancer2.jpg
59 KB, 1024x576
>>47495153
Yes, I've had 4 separate girls ask to join my D&D group. Not a single one of them wanted to come back a second time.
I blame "nerd culture" and shit like Big Bang Theory for making people think that they will be cool if they get into tabletop gaming, only to find out that it's actually a hobby that requires dedication, effort, and passion to truly enjoy. These bitches think that D&D is like monopoly with dragons or some shit, and when they get there they find out that it's actually a co-operative storytelling effort with a complicated rules and grown men pretending to be elves, then the girls get all butthurt when they see that nerd culture isn't just a quirky label you can attach to yourself to build your nerd cred.
>>
My tabletop group has 3 girls. They're fun. Oddly, always the first one's to resort to violence.
Like we're doing a campaign about freeing a city from a tyrant and we kill his lieutenant as a boss, and all 3 of em clamoring to chop her head off and send it to the tyrant.
They're crazy terrorists mang. Me and one of the other guys want to rebuild the city into a good place and we always gotta talk em down or I actively have to stand in their way.
>>
File: 119284445141.jpg (29 KB, 345x281) Image search: [Google]
119284445141.jpg
29 KB, 345x281
>>47495520
>>
>>47495787
>I blame "nerd culture" and shit like Big Bang Theory for making people think that they will be cool if they get into tabletop gaming

This...a billion times this
>>
>>47495153
Twice good. One average.
>>
A girl once asked me to DM for her and a group of friends. So I raped all three of them.

Serves her right.
>>
>>47495787
9th post best post

Not even going to read the rest of the thread.
>>
>>47495787
I've had this happen on six occasions with dudes, two with chicks. It's not a gender problem, it's universal bullshit.
>>
>>47495787
Sounds like the girls you like are idiots. The ones in my group are actual nerds.
One loves Fantasy and is super into ASoIaF and she's always getting us to play the boardgames.
Another is baller as hell at the civ series, plays on emperor and marathon.
Last one isn't too nerdy, just the gf of one of the players. She's a bit quiet but tries her best to role play.
>>
Hmm. Not asked me to get into Tabletop. I've had girls who've already dabbled in other genres join the game, and it's never them who've asked on their own, but rather my extending the invitation. (Can't ask just one or two people in the room and not extend the invitation to everyone else... kind of a dick move. Besides, the more the merrier.) I've had a girl in the social circle I'm currently a part of bring it up, stating that she "Wouldn't even know where to start". Of course I extended an invitation but can't imagine she'll take the offer.

But I think it's what I play that makes things a bit tough. The Battletech setting is absolutely fantastic. In some areas, heavily detailed. In others completely ambiguous. It's also done a pretty good job of maintaining a gender neutral feel to it, especially since what's between your legs doesn't reflect how well you can drive a giant robot. There's also plenty of room for the politicking that some folks like, thanks to feudalism being the modus operandi for the setting.

But none of these can really be appreciated without sinking your teeth into the novels, sourcebooks, etceteras. Women tend to be turned off because "Lasers and robots are dumb", and male players tend to be turned off by "80s art and spreadsheets for tracking damage". However, men and women alike seem to enjoy themselves pretty well when you can convince them to sit down for a game. Usually, the game sessions are followed by their looking at a clock and saying "Where did the day fucking go?"
>>
>>47496172
>The ones in my group are actual nerds.

I'll take "sentences no one has ever said with a straight face" for 500, Alex.
>>
>>47496210
Can confirm. It's 110% true for my group and I still can't say it with a straight face.
>>
>>47496210
>>47496222
Just cuz it feels retarded to say doesn't mean it isn't true.
>>
>>47496222
Also, you can't say anything with a straight face, usually because of the jizz on your chin.
>>
>>47496240
It will always be a lie. Girls aren't nerds, they're attention-seekers. Those ones just happened to find a reliable source of attention in the form of you and the people around you.
>>
>>47496276
Bruh, why are you so hostile toward women? Like everyone is just a person. Some women are nerds, some do it for attention. Just like with guys.
>>
>>47496276
even thou i know you're jsut a troll i will still tell you: you're fucking wrong mate.

i actually met my gf of now over 4 years through gaming and trust me: she can be every bit as nerdy as the guys in my group
the main difference i guess is that she gives a shit about her looks, thus not looking the part
>>
>Dude brings his girlfriends to the game
>he can't properly break up with them
>eventually have his 3 ex-girlfriends play regularly
>none of them know how to make characters or anything
How do you deal with this?
>>
>>47496276
This poster is a fedoraman that is creating a villain to samefag respond to in order to make himself seem "cool" by comparison.
>>
>>47495153
Yep. We're married now and have a kid.
>>
>>47496371
To be fair any girl who;
>Plays civ xd
>Likes Girm!
>Super into boardgames guise!
Is probably fake as fuck.

As least that one bitch stays quiet.
>>
>>47496371
>>47496379
>>47496397
White Knights
>>
>>47496386
Talk to him, tell him to stop bringing people who aren't there to play.
Talk to them, ask them if they are there to play or there to hang out, and make it clear this is a shape up or ship out conversation. Not everyone is really a good fit for pnp games.
>>
>>47495153
Yes. She wound up fucking every member in the group except me at one time or another.
>>
>>47496386
Next time they show up just open the door and say;
>"You know how you're boyfriend doesn't want you anymore? Neither do we."
And slam it in their faces.

Problem solved.
>>
>>47496434
>Talk to him,
He's an old personal friend but gets defensive easy

>Talk to them, ask them if they are there to play or there to hang out, and make it clear this is a shape up or ship out conversation
They'll say they will shape up but nothing really solid.

>>47496468
>You know how you're boyfriend doesn't want you anymore? Neither do we
I wish this would work but he's still very 'friendly' with them.
>>
>>47496501
>He's an old personal friend but gets defensive easy
Man up. If his actions are bringing the game down, the root problem is him.
>They'll say they will shape up but nothing really solid.
Then they get the boot, end story. You can be diplomatic about it, but this is how it must be.
>>
>>47496501
Kill them all.

Make a suit of the skins.

You know it's The Way.
>>
>>47496386
Leave group. Find new one.
>>
>>47495153
We turned her into our foreverGM. It's worked out surprisingly well.
>>
Those are some big gazongas
>>
Never had a woman ask to get into table top gaming in general. But specific games I've had them ask about or want to try.

Mostly TCGs, but couple times for RPGs and Miniature Wargaming. Though I do admit they don't stay into the games long or take long breaks between.
>>
>>47495153

Is this Emily Dewey?
>>
>women don't into fantasy

Oh bullshit, the tabletop/wargame thing i *might* buy if I didn't have several female friends that are avid players. But anyone who says a ton of girls aren't into "fantasy stuff" in general is either blind or fucking retarded: Pick a popular fantasy/sci-fi novel/TV show/Film and I bet you 80% of all fan art and fics and cosplay for that series are the work of grills. In fact I'd say that girls are more fanatical as fans of fantasy IPs then guys and there are plenty of them
>>
I convinced my GF to play Pathfinder. I had to do all the crunch for her, but I asked her a lot of questions to get her to design a character she wanted to play. She ended up making a fairly try-hard character (Teifling Ranger, quiet and brooding, concealing her lineage, etc) but since it was her first time, I didn't hassle her too much.

We haven't played in some time, but she's eager for me to start a new game.
>>
>>47496967
Mary Purly.
Google search, son.
>>
No, but a girl has asked me to get into her on a tabletop. I promptly obliged.

Serious hat on, yes when I formed my first tabletop group two girls wanted to play, one was really great, interested in role playing and the gamier side, the other was kind of obnoxious and we had to keep her there because she was dating my best friend who was playing. The next group I ran fun girl came back, with her boyfriend who was a worse player than her, more of a kill-everything type. My then-gf-now-wife also played and she was a little timid getting into it first but was a good player and would be willing to play another campaign. Wife's former room-mate was in a VtM LARP so idk about that...
>>
File: WHBSCBU.jpg (85 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
WHBSCBU.jpg
85 KB, 250x250
>>47495987

Pretty much. It's gotten to the point now, where I find myself pre-judging people who wear "nerd glasses" in public. In Hollywood, fake horn-rims used to be called "Specs of +4Int" by the props nerds and the thick-framed safety glasses were considered "birth control" in the military. Now, every "smart" TV personality wears a pair on-camera or they're considered out of uniform. Also, I tried watching BBT once.

Once!
>>
>>47495319
>someone mentioned "women" and "gaming"
>better assume he's being a misogynistic cislord and post something self-righteous and irrelevant
>maybe I should at least read the post and make sure I'm not just tilting at windmills
>naw
>>
>>47495153
Yes. It turned out kinda poorly. It was back in high school, and I already had too many players in my 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons group. A friend's girlfriend got jealous and insisted on joining us because she was convinced the girl joining wanted to steal her man. This lead to a fair amount of passive aggressive awkwardness at the table. Both ended up leaving within a couple months.

More recently, a friend's little sister joined us for a session of Deathwatch. I was only told she was coming a couple hours before we played, so I didn't really have a good session for a beginner planned. Lots of standing around talking with Imperial leaders with a split party. She hasn't come back since.
>>
>>47496565
This anon is right. Why skip the traditional solution? Everyone needs a new skin suit every once in a while.
>>
>>47496181
Is there any relation between the RPG and the miniatures game? Can you integrate the two? I've always been kinda interested in playing Battletech, and I've still got decent collection of the old Wizkids clix Mechwarrior miniatures.
>>
>>47496466
Your choice or hers? I know one of those feels.
>>
File: 1300479245167.gif (308 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1300479245167.gif
308 KB, 300x169
No, but a friend and I have asked to join the DnD group of a girl we knew because there's no one else we know who plays it in this town. Turns out the GM runs a group of 8 girls all playing his game he runs from his mom's house and refuses to let any other males play whatsoever.
>>
>>47496014
Ditto. They're all in one group along with me as GM and one, sometimes two other guys. The girls are the best. They fuck around and have fun. Guy is a murder hobo, other guy is a lol-random.

Plus, one of the girls likes to push the envelope on how lewd she can get, and the other gets increasingly more red the further she does, which, frankly, I approve.
>>
>>47497850
According to the books, 1E Mech-to-Mech combat uses revised Expert BattleLance rules, 2E's got a little thing in the front on using BTech, 3E uses the Master Rules for vehicular combat, and A Time of War's tactical combat rules are essentially advanced rules for Total Warfare.
>>
>>47495153
>Has a girl ever asked you
No
>>
>>47495153
>that smile
>those tits
Reminds me of the girl I dated in highschool, the DM's little sister. A total sweetheart, always played druids.
>>
>>47497729
It's pretty clear how the thread's gonna go.
>>
>>47495520
>getting triggered over a perfectly civil thread about girls
Are you a whiteknight or a landwhale?
>>
>>47495153

My girlfriend. I was dating someone else at the time, and she had just moved into my house. She asked me to help her roll a character since her brother had played D&D all her life and never let her play. I basically dropped the other girl I was dating on the spot.

3 years later, I'm still her DM. Life is good.
>>
Yeah, my girlfriend asked me to teach her how to roleplay. She's gotten really into it, so I'd consider it a success.
>>
>>47497883
Well, it was bait, but let's say it was her choice.
>>
>>47495153

Wow, its almost as if a board as awkward and beta as /tg/ views all women as autonomous unit with singular thoughts rather than individuals.

Hey, fa/tg/uys who can't get laid, its your fault, its easier than ever, and you are pathetic if you can't get a girlfriend (or just fuckgirl) at this point
>>
>>47499035
Did you at least bother to read the 63 posts already in the thread before throwing your bait?
>>
>>47495153
For me, it was the other way around, I asked him if he wanted to try it out, and now he's my fiancé.

I think it went well.
>>
>>47499062
How tall is he?
>>
>>47498397
Jesus christ, do you even know the meaning of the words you spewed out there?
>>
>>47499362
He's 5'10, why?

>>47499477
What?
>>
>>47495153
Several times actually.

All of them went poorly. It's not like the stories of drama or what not, they just didn't contribute at all, and spent most of the time on their phones. However, the men were better behaved around them I've noticed. The "I attack the NPC" and rape jokes quieted down, so that was an unintended bonus.
>>
>>47499495
good god break it off. nobody will ever respect you if you marry a manlet like that.
>>
Two girls in highschool who were friends of friends came and told me they wanted to learn DnD and join my group (which was composed of the friends within the circle that they were associated with). Being the dense, unashamed nerd that I was, I invited them over and proceeded to spend 2-3 hours giving them a complete rundown of the system. They left afterward and never expressed any interest again. I think I scared them off. Frankly, though, knowing the two, it was probably for the best.

Rather uneventful, to be honest.
>>
Have played with a couple ..
most are pretty good.
My Girlfriend is more into the vydya.
"less talking more killing" although she was sorely tempted by the Dark Souls boardgame.
It was more a matter that with Bones coming in we have to damn many minis already.
She's also better at This war of ours (and may buy into that one.) She's much better at surviving in it (but says I'm better in "real life survival stuff" ) She's got social anxiety in a big way which is what keeps her out of a lot of live action stuff although okay with more casual stuff with friends.
>>
>>47499645
>knowing the two, it was probably for the best
what is that supposed to mean?
>>
>>47499546
Totally different in my current game.
My friend and his wife play and despite the fact that he's a half orc and she's a gnome she's the more aggressive player.
Of course I think that the last couple of sessions have "conditioned" my male friend.
Any time he tried to do anything really attack wise or during skill checks he pretty much always critically fails. If it didn't leave the party on the verge of being half-dead so much it woudl be funny.
>>
File: tg is bad with women.jpg (238 KB, 781x1424) Image search: [Google]
tg is bad with women.jpg
238 KB, 781x1424
>>47495153
>>
>>47495787
Every person like that my group has had come in, we've converted anyway.

Why not just treat them openly, like people, instead of going "reee you're not a nerd so fuck you"?
I'm sure your shit attitude and 3 CHA approach is what scared them away.
>>
>>47499610
Considering that we've been dating for more than four years now, and that I've been waiting for him to pop the question, I don't think I will.

The fact that he asked the 6'1 giantess out made him alright in my book in the first place. It was all uphill from there.

>>47499687
You're an odd one, aren't you?
>>
>>47499610
Bruh, isn't 5'10 the average height for a man?
>>
>>47499734
listen, i didn't come here to be judged by some prudish woman-mountain over the internet, are you going to post your feet or not?
>>
>>47499734
>uphill
oh you
>>
>>47499734
Downhill is generally the direction you want to be going. Going uphill sucks.
>>
>>47499792
>he thinks people have feet
I didn't know footfags were this delusional.
>>
>>47499803
Puns!

>>47499804
Did I get the saying mixed-up again? Pretty sure I got it right?

>>47499820
Right?
>>
>>47495153
OP, Never start a thread about women being involved in games in any way. It brings the creeps and psuedo-psychologist meninists of our hobby out in all their fedora-wearing glory
>>
>>47495543
I'm sure some groups are OK with people coming up and asking to join
>>
>>47499965

Not even once.
>>
>>47495153
I had a big group of folks all ask me to run d&d for them. I think there was 9 in all, and five were girls.

The group's pared down a bit now to four, but still two of them are girls.

OMG! NO! Girls like tabletop as much as boys! Heavens forbid!
>>
File: lit scares off a woman.jpg (817 KB, 756x9800) Image search: [Google]
lit scares off a woman.jpg
817 KB, 756x9800
>>47499706
Oh you think that's bad?
>>
>>47499861
It's been a fun thread so far, no need to be an alarmist
>>
>>47499861
and kneejerk white knights like you really raise the level of discourse, riiiight?
>>
>>47500418
I'm not defending anyone here bud. It goes without saying that baiters are only as powerful as the faggots that respond to them.
>>
>>47496410
Yup. The easiest way to be fake as fuck is to play the longest fucking 4x on the planet on the longest hardest dificulty all the way through many times. You silly sod.
>>
>>47500298
This actually made me feel slightly depressed
That poor, delicate creature
>>
File: [email protected] (330 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Mercenaries_Supplemental_Update_Cover@1600x1200.jpg
330 KB, 1600x1200
>>47497850
My first foray into Battletech was through Mechwarrior 2nd edition.

So yes, you can definitely play it as an RPG.

...but of all the systems, only 3 feels like a stand-alone, and rightly so, since it's the only one that uses 2D10 "Just because".

As with most Battletech product, almost everything is made to be a complement to the original game, not a substitute. As such, the current RPG players I have now, are only RPG players because I first nursed them into the introbox level wargame with scenarios.

...but what is more, what I'm gathering is that (at least according to what the product is hinting), the RPG is played as a companion to various campaign systems, which are companions to the wargame. A bit much if it's not fully streamlined, if you ask me, but maybe that's how other players like to use it. I don't know. I've always run small-scale stuff. Lance-sized or less.
>>
My girlfriend, my roommates girlfriend, and my other best friend's girlfriend all asked to play. They're better players than most of my old group, really willing to work together and with NPCs, good at stratehizing without going meta, good in general.
>>
>>47495153
Yes
Good
>>
>>47495153
Yep. Let's think...
Sister of my best bud wanted to join us when we were still teens. Best ranger I ever had, both roll and role-playing wise.
My former former girlfriend. A bit of drama early on, but we are still talking about her witch OC. Dropped my group after our break up, but is still playing over the years.
Roommates from the time at the uni, because they were both curious the hell we are doing entire afternoon locked in the main room. One of them quickly dropped, the other became regular and still plays when we are organising games with the people from uni.
An intern who was working in my office wanted to try tabletop. Somewhat dull with characters, but good at avoiding going meta.

Other examples don't count, since they were already into tabletop and/or answered ads, meaning they didn't ask directly. Either way, NEVER had any serious drama nor any other issues from female players, so I treat this as yet another circlejerking fedora-tipping meme. If it's so prevailing, over past 17 years of playing I would fucking had at least ONE case of it, having in total 26 female players and two GMs for that period. Statistically speaking, it escapes even the fucking Gaussian distribution.
>>
>>47501392
>17 years
>two GMs
Really?
>>
>>47495153
Twice. First my ex when we were together. It was fun, ended for completely unrelated reasons. From what I hear she's still in the group I left when we broke up.

The second one was someone I met at a friend's birthday party who I really got along with and who mentioned she was interested in it but never really found a group. I invited her to join our monday-evening group, but it seems she misunderstood some of the details. Ended up having to leave after one session because she didn't realise we had them every monday and that she just didn't have the time for that.
>>
>>47501404
Two female GMs. Isn't it clear from the context, you mong?
>>
>>47496386
Get everyone to drink stuff spiked with viagra (it works for women too) and ease in soft ERP when you notice it kicking in.

You'll probably let your bro do a foursome or even get laid your self.

That's all i can suggest.
As for your game problem i have no idea.
>>
>>47501459
No.
>>
>>47495787
>then the girls get all butthurt when they see that nerd culture isn't just a quirky label you can attach to yourself to build your nerd cred.
So like all girls treat everything.
>>
>>47500496
And you're living proof.
>>
>>47496466
Just out of curiosity, do you play the bass?
>>
>>47498380
for real tho, post her pics
>>
>>47498397
> perfectly civil thread about girls

That's an interesting way of saying "completely pointless thread with jugs at the top, most likely created in an effort to get fuel for frustrated neckbeard fantasies"
>>
TFW my girlfriend finally asked if she could play Warhammer 40k with me and did surprisingly good with Imperial guard vs Dark angels in a 500pt game
>>
>>47502985
>completely pointless thread with jugs at the top, most likely created in an effort to get fuel for frustrated neckbeard fantasies
That goes for about 80% of the threads here.
>>
>>47502985
These threads are why we got rid of /wst/ and tried to get rid of quests? I'd rather have them back than this crap.
>>
>>47495153
I tried to make her a session and she never had time to do it.

Go figure.
>>
>>47503500
Sucks to be you then doesn't it? :)
>>
File: dH6Kh5D.jpg (204 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dH6Kh5D.jpg
204 KB, 1280x720
My wife I suppose.
>>
>>47503832
>marrying a woman
Enjoy your divorce.
>>
>>47503832
Is that you or her?
>>
>>47503916
Her
>>
>>47503832
no offense but I liked it better when you posted her butt
>>
>>47503937
Kek, with the Rat Ogre?
>>
>>47503973
without is fine too
>>
>>47495153
Yeah, it went alright.

I don't know if Western/Central MA is just a freakish location where the native girls hang out with nerds and are legit into their shit or if you guys are just tragically incapable of normal socialization with them, but this whole thing with girls being seen as outside "the hobby" or whatever has never really been a thing in my experience.
>>
File: 20160529_093232.jpg (604 KB, 789x1600) Image search: [Google]
20160529_093232.jpg
604 KB, 789x1600
>>47503982
Shouldve recorded when she was playing a Cheese Lister at a small tournament. Dude kept dropping his rigatoni and kept telling her to re-roll her dice when she'd roll a bad magic phase
>N-No its fine it was cocked
>>
File: 1451076656004.png (23 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1451076656004.png
23 KB, 396x400
this threads are multiplying

are all the failed /fit/ guys gonna come in our gaming clubs and try to steal our nerdettes?
>>
>>47504056
We already have some of the successful /fit/iziens, so why now?
>>
>>47495153

Cool bait thread, you enormous faggot.
>>
>>47504041
Haha, that showed him for being male!
>>
>>47504056
as long as they don't come to cum in my cookies...
>>
>>47504074
It was just funny. He still beat her because MUH ZAMBIE BUNKURR but me and another dude kept giggling at him. Wife was like "yaaay more dice to roll!" and didnt care much
>>
>>47504125
>Wife was like "yaaay more dice to roll!" and didnt care much
You want to watch that.
>>
>>47504238
Why?
>>
>>47504074
>the norms of society told him to do that thing unusual enough to be remarked upon!
>>
>>47495153
>Has a girl ever asked you to get her into tabletop?
Yes.
>If so, how did it turn out?
Threatened to quit. Then I asked her if she wanted help. She said yes. Quit. Broke off contact. Constantly snide for a month afterwards.

Never again. My fiance respects it, but unless she makes a character on her own she ain't playing.

So far she's failed.
>>
>>47495787
>These bitches think that D&D is like monopoly with dragons or some shit, and when they get there they find out that it's actually a co-operative storytelling effort with a complicated rules and grown men pretending to be elves, then the girls get all butthurt when they see that nerd culture isn't just a quirky label you can attach to yourself to build your nerd cred.
I've been there so many times.
>>
>>47503832
>>47503973
What is it with girls and Skaven?
>>
>>47504385
Mice are cute.
>>
>>47504385
She thinks theyre cute
>>
>>47504385
Subconscious urge to eat everything and have million children. Similar deal as with girl & nids. Minus tentacles.
>>
>>47495319
>They don't need to be invited in.

Yes they do they are like vampires.
>>
>>47495787
>>47495987
>>47497642
My DM went to Pax this year and came back with a dead look in his eyes and a blank expression. He has declared that "nerd" is dead and we should all just start calling ourselves "losers" from now on because nobody is going to try and be a loser. I'm thinking about only living underground.
>>
>>47501404
Been playing 20 years now and only one GM. It's not hard to imagine, though a little sad.

On topic:
First girl that showed interest (this was pre-NeoNerd culture) was a big time JRPG player and entirely cancerous. Hung around for all the attention we rejects showered her with.

Second girl was my wife (who still plays) who has a genuinely good time. We met back in the days wearing a superhero shirt or playing Sega Genisis would get you linched, so when she didn't run screaming from ttrpgs I was shocked.
Is a total "that guy" though.

Third girl (wife's friend) and her boyfriend rolled characters a few months ago, but have shown no interest since.
>>
>>47501502
This. This definitely works outside of hentai.
>>
>>47495319
>don't need to be invited in
What kind of group are you running, exactly?

Do you just leave your door open and let anybody who pokes their head in join?
>>
>>47504553
If a guy likes skaven and nids what are the chances he's secretly trans?
>>
>>47504740
as normal
>>
>>47501502
>Get everyone to drink stuff spiked with viagra (it works for women too)

you realize Viagra has no effect on arousal itself, right?
>>
>>47496501
>I wish this would work but he's still very 'friendly' with them.

Do you mean he's still banging them or he's still trying to bang them?
>>
I met my wife at a DnD game, and almost half of the assorted people I play with are girls. I'd say that they do fairly well for it all on their own.
>>
>>47504770
Most people who try to use it as a 'get horny' drug find themselves in comfortable circumstances where drinks are being shared, inhibitions are low from informality and a shared motive of 'relax and have a good time'. The fact that it allows a couple people to get erections just spurs that existing atmosphere along.

It's like how people think half the fucking food pyramid is an aphrodisiac, when it's all in how you're in an atmosphere conducive to eroticism and the food is just a couple pleasant sensations added to it.
>>
>>47504770
>chick sees my Viarection
>doesn't immediately drop her panties

You crazy.
>>
My GF is getting very competitive with mtg.
>>
>>47499610
Shut up /tv/.
>>
>>47495153

She did. After I introduced her, she met the guy she later married (And divorced) in the group.
>>
>>47500298
/lit/ was a mistake.
>>
File: dryad2.jpg (158 KB, 502x650) Image search: [Google]
dryad2.jpg
158 KB, 502x650
>>47495153

Yeah, my girlfriend and her best friend asked me to teach them a couple of years ago.

They're some of the best players I've ever had, really into roleplay and making stuff for the game. Minis, terrain, drawings of characters and magic items and spells, these chicks are fantastic.

I've been in a lot of gaming groups with and without girls, and I've noticed a pattern.

>Only one girl (especially when the girl is the only one new to the hobby): Girl eventually leaves.

>Two or more girls (Even when they're all new to the hobby): They have a great time and get really into roleplaying.

When they can play with their friends, they're more comfortable and have more fun. I sympathize; I joined an all-girl group once and it wasn't as fun for me as a mixed group.
>>
>>47505006
>I joined an all-girl group once and it wasn't as fun for me as a mixed group.
Why not?
>>
>>47504642

I may join you, brother.
>>
File: orc fem rider.jpg (333 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
orc fem rider.jpg
333 KB, 1000x750
>>47505076

Honestly, it's kind of hard to say. I tried to pitch in and have fun, but all these little, almost subliminal things felt off to me. The talk before and after the game was gossip I didn't care about and shows I didn't watch. The plot of the game was a little too soap-opera for me. I actually like plots about character relationships and emotional drama, I felt like my all-guy group didn't have enough of that stuff (just vengeance and manly gritted teeth,) but the all-girl group was a bit too far the other way for me.

I wasn't gonna force them to change for my benefit, they were clearly having fun, so I dropped out after a few sessions. But I wound up with a much greater sympathy for girls who try to join all-guy groups and don't stick around. It's just not fun being the odd one out.

Mixed groups are my favorite, by far. The different genders have slightly different preferences (on average, naturally some girls just want blood and vengeance, etc,) but when you add them together you get a richer game where no one feels left out.
>>
>>47505231
>I wasn't gonna force them to change for my benefit,
The gigantic difference between men and women.
>>
>>47495499

Running a Shadowrun game for my bestie and her friends right now; I don't know what it is about SR, the intrigue, the retro ambiance? But some women get really into it.
>>
Related question. How can I convince my girlfriend that tabletop gaming (RPGs and wargames specifically) aren't solely the domain of fat autistic neckbeards and can be enjoyed as part of a healthy normie existence?

inb4 "it can't"

Does anyone have any experience in easing out this prejudice in a relationship?
>>
>>47505361
Well, I wouldn't say the mechanics. One of my group members tried to run it and half of the group (including our usual GM) bitched and moaned about the d6 system until we stopped.
>>
No, but there's a fair amount of girls who attend my local club and some on the "council" of it. Hard working, kind and quite mentally stable and they play a shitload of boardgames, TCGs and tabletop RP, even some Necromunda I think. Of course there are a few hambeasts with dyed hair and the males are mostly chubby, balding in their mid-20s with goatees so the stereotype is safe and sound still.

In general, unless you talk to stacys and the usual kind of girly-girl, you can have some conversation about D&D stuff if they're into the genre.
>>
>>47505378
It can't. These games are not for "normies," they are for people who enjoy learning lots of complex rules and lore elements.
>>
>>47505433

That's for sure, man. We're pretty stoked about the rules-light version that's supposed to be coming out soon, because among other things the hacking leaves us all scratching our heads.
>>
>>47505378
You can't. She will:
>stick with you, despite her feelings towards the hobby
>stick with you, despite her feelings towards the hobby, and make snide comments about it, until you give it up to make the bitching stop
>leave you
>>
First time I ever played a table top rpg I was invited by a female friends to her previously all female group. Turned out to be a blast and had a lot of fun
>>
>>47505378
Find such people, show them to her.
exempla fucking trahunt
>>
>>47495153
When I ran DND encounters, girls would show up to play. Quite a few of them actually.

But for my personal groups?
No. Some girls talked about it but there were issues with our schedule.

>>47499965
>I'm sure some groups are OK with people coming up and asking to join
Aka asking for an invite.
>>
>>47495153
Yes. About five years later, I proposed to her during a session. The rest of the group knew what was coming, and helped me set it up. That was almost nine years ago; still married, still RPing, both at the table and in bed.
>>
>>47498394
Sadly. Despite ample protestations by the ignorant, women and girls are part of the hobby, and have been since the 70s. The CCG phenomenon and then the eurogame craze have brought them out in droves, but they were there before.

I know of several game stores in the area over the years that have been owned and run by women. Two have been long term successes, with one ended by retirement after a couple decades and the other still going.

I was at a game convention yesterday. I had two women at the game I ran and saw many others. This isn't a 90/10 split, either. More like 70/30.

Three of the most talented and award-winning miniatures painters in the world are women, and the Paint-and-Take at this convention was run by two women and frequently had women dominating the attendance.

The boardgames room was a pretty even split.

My experience with RPGs is that female interest is highly topical. A game with some actual RP potential and which isn't just an excuse for adolescent dick waving is more likely to keep women interested and participating. The same reason is why the ratio remains highly male in miniatures wargaming. "It's just dice" is not terribly interesting to women, while strategy and scenario, and the painting, are better draws.

The long and short of it is that if *you* can be social and well adjusted about gaming, women might actually be willing to sit at a table with you. If you can't be bothered to be polite, clean, and interesting, your weird hobby is not what is keeping the girls away.
>>
>>47495153
A girl saw me and some friends playing a mini homebrew RPG in high school and asked to join. She had no idea what she was doing and left after five minutes
>>
>>47495153
>>47495319
>Playing with women
If I wanted a non-productive gamer who only wants attention, I'd invite a dog.
>>
>>47505854
With that attitude you'll also get more affection from a dog.
>>
>>47505849
Homebrew rules? So you were being even more obtuse and specialized in your vocabulary than even most gamers? You excluded her and she could tell.
>>
>>47505881
With any attitude you get more affection from ma dog. Have you ever tried giving a woman a headpat?
>>
>>47505906
You obviously attract the wrong women.
>>
>>47505905
>how dare guys not just play games but want to develop them!
>sexists! exclusion!
>>
>>47505920
I'm a straight girl.
>>
File: blu.jpg (12 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
blu.jpg
12 KB, 320x256
i married her
>>
>>47495153
There's a few girls at my local DnD club held out at my local Uni. One's a real QT but she sadly has a partner so I gave up on being as "friendly" as I do with girls I'm interested in and just started treating her like everybody else, which isn't to say I treat her like shit I just make jokes at her as much as everybody else now.

The rest are 5/10 material. Interesting because they play DnD and do my hobbies, but not entirely attractive. At the same time, I don't believe I'm all that hot either but I've been rated at least a 6/7 out of 10 so what do I know.

They mostly understand the game and play pretty well. They suck dick at actually roleplaying though, they mostly just stick to roll-playing, it's a fucking travesty.

>try to roleplay character
>only me and my buddy actually voice our characters, me with my drunken russian catperson (futuristic setting) and my buddy with his disturbingly anti-social/sociopathic android.
>feel awkward doing the voice if buddy isn't there.
>DM always insists on having some little girl character that likes my cat person to cling to me all the fucking time
>hard as a rock the whole time
>>
>>47500298
Oh my sweet royal fuck, that made my day!
>>
Yeah, Warhammer fantasy. It turned out terribly.
>>
File: endgame headpat sim.png (1 MB, 1031x686) Image search: [Google]
endgame headpat sim.png
1 MB, 1031x686
>>47505906
yes
>>
>>47505921
Game dev is not an activity for newcomers, and unfortunately the culture that has grown up around game dev has become elitist and specialized. I've seen it leak out from the design communities onto general boards like RPGNet, and it is repellant.

And here's the thing. Women, and yes, even the young ones, are far more aware of the social cues you throw off in conversation and behavior than most guys will ever be.
>>
>>47499706
This is 100% adorable. This anon deserves good things.
>>
>>47505987
Indeed. Many gamers don't speak Flirt, and need time and a translator to figure it out. This isn't unique to gamers by any means, but is a bit more common among the hobby's males.
>>
>>47505984
>Women, and yes, even the young ones, are far more aware of the social cues you throw off in conversation and behavior than most guys will ever be.
Good, she wouldn't waste too much of anon's time working on his game then.
>>
>>47505906
Yeah, belly rubs too. Works like a charm.
>>
>>47506056
>Many gamers don't speak Flirt
Most men learn flirt through trial and error. The entire dating game is stacked against men from the word go. If you read the signals wrong and hit on a woman who doesn't want it, you're a creep. If you read the signals wrong and don't hit on a woman who wants it, you're a creep. If you decide the game is bullshit, you're a creep. It's like teaching a dog to retrieve your slippers... by violently beating the shit out of him until he learns how to do it.

It'd be easier if women didn't play mindgames, but if they didn't then they wouldn't be women.
>>
>>47495153
Yes actually, just last Friday. I GM a 5e campaign with uni friends and the subject came up during discussion at a party.

Next session is on Thursday, so I hope it goes well. I know the person fairly well: she's pleasant and seems genuinely interested but she has no experience with tabletop RPGs. It'll be interesting to see what happens as her character won't be able to join the party right away due to narrative reasons. I hope that some time spent observing will help ease her in.
>>
>>47505987
Could you explain this picture to me?
>>
>>47495787
>Has 4 girls bail after 1 session
>It's the bitches' fault
Try to be less shit
>>
>>47506240
It's LoL redesign shit
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131 KB, 1366x768
>>47506240
Champion in LoL. Used to look like the thing on the right, now looks like the one on the left.
>>
>>47506311
>new design too cute to hate-fuck.

This is why LoL is shit.
>>
>>47506311
The one on the right looks kind of weird but I don't play the game and my only exposure's been porn.
>>
>>47495153
Ah, yes, twice. It was alright, they migrated to new groups once ours dissolved and had good experiences.
I've introduced like 12 myself, all of them remain my friends, some became lovers or girlfriends halfway, some have become DMs.

I thought for a second "any girl has asked you to join into tabletop" Which would be answered as no. I've yet to know a girl that started her first TTPPRPG circle, they join but don't start them.

Also girls are always the first ones to say something outrageously sexual or chauvinist, while they niggas act like prudes wanting to hide.

We've had guys marrying with girls from our group, or inviting their waifs to join, externals always become hardcore players after an extended period of ignorance and "ewwww that's a manboys' hobby".
>>
>>47506311
Why do people like LoL?
>>
>>47507776
It's easy and free and their friends are probably doing it.

Just like your mom!
>>
>>47505881
>why aren't you working to get my affection!?
Women.
>>
>>47495153
Yes, two times
I ended up dating one of them, but it's over.
>>
>>47495437

>broke up
>she called to buy the army off me

Now, that is a mark of a true convert, not just a woman jumping on the bandwagon of whatever her boyfriend does. I know so many girls who became diehard X fans only to go back to not giving a shit about X or actually hating X after a break-up. Sports, card, games, etc. etc.
>>
>>47495153
Yes, plenty of times.
Well, they we're almost never interested in the game and just asked to join as a way to get closer to me. I mean, it's gotten to the point where if a girl asks me about my tabletop group, my DM told me to ask them out and just keep them away from the table. It works literally every time. Except one time, where they wanted to get closer to the DM, but he's super gay. For me. Which is kinda how he started being my DM.

Overall, my experience is that women may not enjoy tabletop as much as guys. Not sure how everyone else is, that's just me.
>>
>>47495153
They never wanted it, but I did it anyway. Now one's an MtG judge and the other is a GM
>>
One of my girlfriends "nerdy" friends wanted to join / learn how to play a month ago. Her experience with games was limited to cards against humanity and settlers of catan yet she was convinced she would love dnd. If i had to guess she watched a couple of episodes of big bang theory at her sorority one night when she wasn't banging random dudes and decided that was the next cool thing she would do. We planned a night where we would start a small campaign with my gf & her , but instead we took 4 hours making her character since she could not concentrate / leave her phone for more that 2 minutes . A week later and she shows up with all of the dnd books she just bought and a set of dice..i was actually pretty impressed at her initiative. I proceed to run her through a dungeon with some friends and she does literally nothing when its her turn .The generic oh its my turn , um hmmm oh were in a battle ill hit that guy...same thing every turn..Me & my gf tried to keep her engaged but it just wasn't working . She didn't come back after that night but to fair she had to go back to school .

........Summer is coming up and from what i hear this girl wants to come back & also have me dm her and some of her friends from her sorority . It would be a good time if i didn't have a girlfriend but now i am stuck dm'ing a group of asian basic bitches .
>>
>>47495153
No, but a girl has asked me to get her onto the tabletop.
It turned out pretty cool.
>>
>>47495153
yes, current gf actually
absolutely terrible, she has the attention span of a 4 year old. afterwards, for a while, she would throw a tantrum every game night because I wasn't spending it with her instead.

Things have gotten a lot better now, though. And I did convert her into playing MtG, so I guess that's something. Also she seems interested in the modelling aspect of warhams
>>
>>47495153
Yes.
I don't know, we seperated and I never saw her again.
>>
>>47495153
>Meet pro costume designer while building cosplay
>Bring her into a WHFRP game
>Learns the rules and starts her own game
>Sexually harassed the first session by a short, fat neckbeard who expected her to fuck after he brought cheap garlic bread and complimented her

One terrible experience, but it was right at the start.
>>
>>47505378
>How can I convince my girlfriend that tabletop gaming (RPGs and wargames specifically) aren't solely the domain of fat autistic neckbeards and can be enjoyed as part of a healthy normie existence?
Stop being a fat autistic neckbeard and start being a healthy normie.
Continue to play tabletop shit.
>>
>>47500298
>The more naive and easily upset she reveals herself to be, the more I want to cum down her throat.
This is a man who has lived life
>>
>>47508359
>everyone I know and everyone I meet wants to fuck me
Yeah, alright.
>>
>>47502872
I have some pics of her from those days, even a couple of feet pics, but I'm not gonna post them because you don't post people you care about on 4chan and because she was 14-15 at the time so it's probably illegal to post them
>>
>>47505953
>dyed hair
>piercings
>hoodies
rancid swine
>>
>>47508976
Wanna play some chess, bro?
>>
>>47495153
Yes, once so far.

We're rather new Pen and Paper RPG players ourselves, but all of us really love it, so we are often talking about it and in a very excited and animated fashion. So this girl we knew over a friend asked to join us, she said it seemed really fun to her.
She needed a great deal of assistance to create her character, her character was an antisocial elf who had lived in the woods for all her life, and when the time of the session came and she was introduced, everytime I asked her what she wanted to do the answer was "I don't know".
She then proceeded to sleep at the table once it became really late, further cutting her out of the loop, but she had been extremely inactive anyways, so who gives a fuck?
In the end, my players were so annoyed by her lack of interest and her behavior, they basically teased her out of the group...
In the end, it was probably for the best. Last thing I heard was that she was trying to start up her own group, which probably failed.
>>
>>47509705
ok
>>
You guys ever had two girls at the table who hadn't met prior? I don't know if this common, but they got really catty. I guess they're friends now, though.
>>
>>47505953
"She" is a tranny.
>>
>>47510604
just don't pick favorites and let them sort it out between themselves
>>
>>47496181
This x1000
>>
>>47505933
Well if you've ever had your head patted then, it must have been from someone who didn't really mean it.
>>
>>47505953
>'her'
>>
>>47510769
careful there, headpats are gateway drug to heavy petting
>>
>>47505854
Also better for sex.
>>
>>47505378
Step one: be a hot guy
done.
>>
>>47508298
While this is true, I know a lot of girls whose favorite hobby was picked up from an ex.
>>
>>47508669
Honestly, that was my viewpoint in high school, and I grew out of it.
>>
>>47510884
It's a good gateway to walk through.
>>
>>47495319

I actually find this is generally true.

Women are just a lot more selective with whom they play. They rarely put up with male shitheads.
>>
>>47496043
You mean, ingame?
>>
>>47496043
To be fair, that's pretty much the same thing.
>>
>>47496548
>>47496565
>>47504814

ITT, virgins and antisocial NEET's attempt to give advice to a person who is a reasonable being.
>>
I don't play with women, not because I think they're all shit, but because my first experience in tabletop was with a group of women and it was traumatic, and I don't want to be reminded of it.
>>
>>47511623
Care to greentext?
>>
>>47506286
Fuck off, bitch, you were bad and should feel bad.
>>
>>47511593
>tfw it actually works
You normies know nothing about social interactions
>>
>>47510623
>>47510835

>2016
>Not calling people by their proper sex

This is one of the reasons girls keep away from tabletop gaming.
>>
>>47512227
Look at that face you cunt
>>
>>47505318
Bullshit. I am man and I always try to push my way. That's why don't have a group to play with anymore.
>>
>>47508959

...Were that always that big even back then?
>>
>>47512239

Yes, and this is 2016. I thought we were past the phase of irrational hatred and dislike towards other people.
>>
>>47508411
You want to have fun with people who don't do rules? Switch the system out to something that you can do all the rules for as a GM. Obviously not D&D, but any lighter system. Let the players concentrate on the world while you concentrate on keeping turns as short as possible for the sake of their shitty attention spans.

Personally, I'm a fan of Paranoia for keeping people stressed and paying attention, but honestly you could use anything.

Remember kids, rules-light games exist for a reason
>>
>>47511955
>12 year old boy gets bullied by his Spanish teacher and her friends
I've told the story a few times and I don't feel like typing it out again. They lied to me about the rules, made my character litterally their slave and everyone yelled at me when the DM made my character cause a TPK.
>>
Never had a girl ask to get into tabletop gaming, had one who's played a few times before join my group. She's pretty bloody good, actually
>>
>>47495153
Fuck your bait, post more tittymonster
>>
>>47512344
What?
>>
>>47495153
Yup. Multiple times actually.
It's always gone pretty well. Some of my better players have been female; seems to be less of the typical murder hobo behaviour. More interest in roleplaying over rollplaying. Maybe not the most amusing players but certainly fun to play with. I have multiple stories I think (I'm trying to remember).
>>
>>47495153
My group has had a few girls over the years try it out with us through varying degrees of success. Much like the dudes who have also tried to try it out.
The only real story that stands out was some yaoi obsessed girl who played as a big beefy guy, and ended up getting bored a few hours in. She attempted to rape the other party members.
She wasn't invited back.
>>
Yes
Fine
Also..... I am a women as well
>>
>>47495153
Yes. My sister asked me to join a 4th ed game she was going to play in so that I could show her the ropes. It went well for a few sessions until the game fell apart. She enjoyed it, and I'd love to run a game with her again.
>>
>>47513726
Did you fuck her?
>>
File: ha.gif (559 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
ha.gif
559 KB, 400x276
>>47513890
>>
>>47514009
I'll take that as a yes.
>>
>>47512365
>it's the current year!
I don't really give a fuck either way but don't think for one second we have progressed as a people. Social pressures keep most from expressing their feelings but people are just as prejudiced, annoyed by change, and dislike being told what to do as they always have.

If someone is trans, fine whatever. But no one is under any obligation to facilitate their delusions.
>>
>>47495153
No
Mu
>>
>>47495319
*tips glass* m'coasters
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.