[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else find that the games workshop people seem to be a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 1461082513090.jpg (39 KB, 500x317) Image search: [Google]
1461082513090.jpg
39 KB, 500x317
Anyone else find that the games workshop people seem to be a little rude.
>>
>>47491505
not that I've seen, but then I don't frequent GW stores that much. how do you feel they are being "rude"?
>>
>>47491505
Shop mangers? Yeah, but they're so overworkedd now that I kinda feel sympathy towards them.
>>
>>47491575
I think the strangest thing was like i mention that's nice that he's giving away free prizes for the painting thing.

And then he got all offended about like the sheer notion that it was free was something bad.

Strangely enough i found out later you don't get them free and infact its just a dip to buy a model and paint another one.

Fuck that, I just want an army not a money pit.
>>
They're certainly told to be forward.

Hey guys, I know, let's take a hobby with a largely socially-awkward following, and act buddy-buddy to them like it's a fucking phone shop.

I've never bought models in an actual GW as a result of this.
>>
>>47491505

I used to go in only to buy paint since I moved onto historicals, once let that fact slip and the guy looked like he was going to leap over the counter and stab me in the throat because I was using citadel paints on non-gw product.

Backed slowly away and never returned. Vallejo paints better anyway
>>
>>47492346
>vallejo paints better

nice try guy
>>
>>47492126
Same here, fuck that noise.
>>
Only noteworthy thing about their behaviour that I've noticed was one cashier going, well, basically "m'lord" to me. Wonder if she had a fedora collection back home, though perhaps leaning a bit more towards formal than neckbeard. Can't see it being provoked by my appearance, I do Fjällräven and denim rather than hats and coats.
>>
>>47491505
my old store manager once brazenly sniffed the seat of a stool a woman had been sitting on like she'd left a line of coke there. in broad daylight in front of the whole store. otherwise they're pretty middle of the road
>>
>>47492346
>Vallejo paints better anyway

While you're certainly free to prefer this or that paint brand (I happily mix GW, previous millennium GW, Vallejo, P3, etc), putting it like that makes it seem like a severe case of sour grapes.
>>
>>47492886

Christ.
>>
>>47492886
>>
>>47491505
When I was twelve I walked into a Games Workshop because it looked cool from the outside. The employee who helped me was super nice to me and I thought he was the coolest guy in the world, he let me play with the LOTR armies (like any twelve year old around that time I was OBSESSED with LOTR) that were displayed and I went right home to get my money and spent like my entire savings of 130 euro's on that shit. They act that way to extract money from young nerdy boys who get treated like a serious customer for the first time in their lives by a guy who talks about their interests with them.
>>
>>47491505
Current GW employee here.

GW is well aware that their only two real products (Fantasy and 40K but that’s their decision to ditch every new concept the year its released when it doesn’t instantly do as well as 40K) are complex and pricey to the newbie, so they tell their staff to grab people the second they come in the door and bombard them with info to persuade them to part with their cash.

For some fucking stupid reason however they’re told that they can’t really give a demo game unless it’s during the scheduled weekend game day. Which means even when you’re the only other person in the shop (and there’s like 3 empty tables) you still won’t be shown how to play the game that they’re trying hard to convince you is worth the £75 for just the starter set. Instead you got to play along with all the screaming tweens who end up stinking the cramped humid little shop right up.

GW are incredibly hostile to any other similar stores that want to set up near to one of their existing “Warhammer” stores. From the obvious denying access to GW branded products. To the underhanded trying to take custom away from the store by giving incentives when people choose not to buy from their new competitor. To the ridiculous getting other major companies involved in an effort to stop them sending their products to said store.

The decision to move away from community focused shops and into a big generic cooperate unification in the style of the Apple stores was a massive point of contention for a large number of franchisees. Lots of them left GW so that they could continue running their business the way they wanted. Which sadly ultimately meant the death of lots of local gaming stores.
>>
>>47493187
>The decision to move away from community focused shops and into a big generic cooperate unification in the style of the Apple stores was a massive point of contention for a large number of franchisees. Lots of them left GW so that they could continue running their business the way they wanted. Which sadly ultimately meant the death of lots of local gaming stores.

I dont know, the game store i frequent its pretty nice and familiar, sure they get a bit bitchy when i try to play with my conversions that are like 20% gw minitatures but that is understandable
>>
>>47491505
What the hell are you in a GW brick and mortar for? Stop doing that.
>>
>>47493382
What has that got to do with how the store is run?

I get what you're trying to say that non-GW stuff is sometimes (but not always) frowned upon by some staffers but what I said is more about how the place is no longer in the control of the store owners. That it is instead run by a massive and dull book of GW approved guidelines.
>>
>>47493187
For some fucking stupid reason however they’re told that they can’t really give a demo game unless it’s during the scheduled weekend game day. Which means even when you’re the only other person in the shop (and there’s like 3 empty tables) you still won’t be shown how to play the game that they’re trying hard to convince you is worth the £75 for just the starter set. Instead you got to play along with all the screaming tweens who end up stinking the cramped humid little shop right up.

That sounds really REALLY dumb, what is the reasoning here?
>>
>>47492510
Overall, vallejo paint is better than Citadel. There are a few Citadel colors that are consistently really nice, but they tend to be heavy and not so great for blending. Vallejo is just consistent across the board. I use both on a regular basis though.
>>
>>47493472
No clue. Honestly.

I was told a few times by one superior that it was because we don't always have enough staff on hand so that if someone came in to the shop and we were busy playing we'd miss our opportunity to catch them.

But I think it's because most of the guys hired are obviously big wargaming fans and I suppose they're worried we'd spend the whole day gaming instead of working. Plus we might put a potential customer off as they wouldn't want to interrupt us or something.
>>
>>47491582
>Overworked?

They play games all day. They Talk games all day. Then they pull sell 10 Items a day.
>WOW SO MUCH WORK -.-
>>
>>47493567
I really like citadel metalllics and a few of their colors but yea I use Vallejo when it comes to primary and secondary colors
>>
>>47491505
Yeah becaus they get fired if you dont buy everythin GW puts out. And their Superior gives them shit if they dont meat Sales Expectations.

Fukc them
>BUY FROM ONLINE RETAILERS and save 25%
>>
>>47493642
You get bored of it all very very quickly. I only really play DnD at home and with my friends now.
>>
>>47493642
Guess you've never been in charge of something before.
>>
>>47493642
>Play games all day.
Lol no. You usually have to worry about the front desk unless you're paying someone. But then it's like, you're paying someone so you can hang out with your cock out.
Bad for business.

>Talk games all day.
Because having retards ask you about the next MTG release of why PF is a sophisticated game compared to 5e is riveting dialogue.
This happens everyday.
If you're busy chatting the whole time people are less inclined to intercede so they can buy shit.
Bad for business.

>10 items a day
Is a quick way to go under. You have to whore yourself out to MTG these days to break even. RPGs don't sell at all. Hell, my FLGS started selling funko pops and other 'gamer' shit just to stay out of the red.
You have to be pretty lucky to be able to form a player base large enough to push miniature sales to stay afloat not to mention having floor space so they can play.

There's a reason these stores are disappearing.
5 years ago my city (and it's a pretty big one) had a ton of hobby (mostly mini) stores, 3 GWs, etc.
Now there's 1 GW outside of town, and all the hobby stores closed except for the aforementioned Funko store and one that mainly sells RC cars and gundams now.
>>
>>47493569
seems odd. must be a regional thing.
The guy at my local GW still does demo games any time. He just lets the person know he'll have too pause it if a customer comes in. Though if theres any regulars hanging around (and there usually are) he'll often get us too run the demo game which we're happy to do.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.