[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Purely hypothetically speaking, imagine a character in a vaguely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1462994208835.jpg (5 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1462994208835.jpg
5 KB, 184x184
Purely hypothetically speaking, imagine a character in a vaguely modern-world setting that keeps having constant deja-vus.
Said deja-vus are usually feature completely inconsequential and irrelevant things, and yet, they usually make the character drop everything he is currently doing and think "Did another of these fucking deja-vus just happen?".
Said character is still in backstory generation phase, so the adventure hasn't begun yet and the character hasn't really done anything heroic by this point.

All of that said, what would be the, uh, "plot reason" for that character to have deja-vus?
Any reason that can be incorporated 'into the story and explain those deja-vus, anything you can come up with is welcome.

Think of it as an adventure seed. How would you develop it?
>>
>>47489905
The Matrix immediately springs to mind.
Or a character who can sense some jackass constantly doing resets/time stops/similar chronal bullshit.
Or they've got a budding second consciousness who experiences things simultaneously but seperately.
>>
>>47489955
The first two options don't really fit, but I really like the third one.
So maybe he has an imaginary friend of some sorts that lives in his head or something?
I really need to brainstorm this, so I appreciate your input.
>>
>>47489905
There's some alternate-dimension fuckery going on, the character's brain is connected to their alt. reality self for Reasons. The reason why they're getting deja-vu is that the other dimension is slightly ahead, time-wise.
>>
>>47489905
He's actually one of the other characters in the party, went on this adventure with the party and failed while being the only survivor. Now this adventurer has traveled to the past to undue the future. Somehow the adventurer has forgotten most of what had happened, hence Deja vu
>>
>>47489905
One obvious option is they share a bloodline or reincarnated soul or whatever with heroes of an ancient past, and destiny is just starting to catch up with him by drawing parallels between his life and those of his mightier forebears. I can only assume they will ramp up in significance as adventure approaches and entangles him.
>>
>>47490061
>imaginary friend of some sorts
Maybe. What Anon's post brought to my mind is another personality, but not like a mental health issue but an actual person.
I've been playing Pillars of Eternity. There's a character whose soul has "awakened" to a past life it had.
The different person emerged in danger but now during the game she (and the character is male) pops up time after time.
The guy is trying to cope with it and to understand his soul's past personality.
>>
Fuck-O's from a higher dimension are beaming him information directly to his brain waves for whatever reason; and they may even just want to help him.
>>
>>47489905
They have prophetic dreams of days at a time and don't remember most of it except for snippets but only sub conciously.

Maybe if he were to be hypnotized or otherwise have his memories restored, his dreams might prove invaluable.
>>
>>47489905
>Said deja-vus are usually feature completely inconsequential and irrelevant things, and yet, they usually make the character drop everything he is currently doing and think "Did another of these fucking deja-vus just happen?".
>>47490408
>They have prophetic dreams
This literally me.
What's really fucked up is that I've learned to recognize the dreams when I have them.
So I have 100% reliable visions of future mundane b.s. from my life (like 30 sec in a dept store looking at swim trunks).
Also, I can't change anything.
I just have deja by of trying to change things.
I have come to believe two things from this:
Time is static and unchanging, but created by our actions.
I am temporarily immortal until I experience every vision I've ever had.
(but you'd be surprised what you can live through, so no daredevil antics)

Every so often, I cut a deck of cards and call out "five of spades" like in Let it Ride.
Once it worked and I immediately felt a surge of deja vu that lasted ten minutes.
I could actively remember the present and accurately predicted the next six draws of a friend's card game and its outcome.
Then it was over.
I also predicted the huge blackout in NE USA about 10 years ago, but had no idea when or why it was going to happen.

I suppose there are lamer superpowers.
I hope this helps OP.
>>
>>47489905
>Purely hypothetically speaking
As opposed to non-hypothetically?
>>
>>47489905
He's caught in a time looping mushi's digestional tract. The fact that he's getting deja vu so much means he's close to being completely consumed, but maybe he can avoid this fate if he learns what sign leads to the repeat. Neat episode.
>>
>>47490908
>I suppose there are lamer superpowers.
There are.
>I hope this helps OP.
I guess I'm not alone then.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.