[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Human power groups in Urban Fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: humanis.jpg (202 KB, 744x497) Image search: [Google]
humanis.jpg
202 KB, 744x497
I was playing through Shadowrun: Dragonfall and got to the section that you start to interact with Humanis (A human supremacy group). The Game clearly tried to frame them as bad guys and an analogy for white supremacists, but truth be told some of their arguments made sense to me. For instance, the longevity of elves locking humans out of certain positions in jobs. Elves have massive lifespans. It seems that by virtue of their age they are going to eventually work their way up the corporate ladder no matter how incompetent they may be. Once there, they basically stopgap other races from getting into those posistions because they live for centuries unaging and simply getting better at their job until no humans or other shorter lived races will ever get a chance to advance. It seems as though in a setting where other sentient beings exist who often have abilities above human level, it would be necessary for humans to band together to look out for their own interests.
basically TL;DR
>Are Human "power" groups necessary or justified in a setting with fantasy races (Dwarves, Elves, Orcs etc) or just a straw man villain?
>>
Justification is pretty subjective.

Look at real life "X" Power groups; "unjustified "from an outsider's perspective, but often emerge from a situation with a lot more grey areas than most are willing to admit.

Say the local Orc gang is robbing poorer humans who have to live on the wrong side of town, and a subset of the humans mob up and start beating and lynching Orcs.

This can be "Justified" from a human perspective, because the Orcs are an intractable criminal menace but as far as the Orcs are concerned; presumably prioritizing the value of an Orc's life over the change purses of a few poncy humans, would consider it unjustifiable.

The broader society's views on such occurrences are by and large irrelevant, as they are not affected by any of the factors of the feud, but they will insist on passing their flaccid judgement either way.
>>
>>47489023
It tries to frame them as that because they are.

Humanis is not above poisoning large sections of the population to kill off metas and justifies it by saying some of the humans might survive.

They shoot meta babies, bomb meta friendly schools and assassinate meta politicians. They brain wash troll and orc children, wage media and propaganda campaigns to divide humanity and will hire runners to take out any who might oppose them.

They are fucking terrorist in the setting, it is what they were designed for and do.
>>
Their arguments might make sense, but their methods are usually what make them into villains.

For example, Humanis and other human supremacist groups are linked to events like the Night of Rage where metas were forced into buildings that were then blocked up and burned down. Elves might be taking all muh jobs, but their approach to fixing that tends to be causing a much greater amount of harm than that.

This all of course depends on your view of society and politics in the real world, since they are very clearly meant to be comparable to racial supremacy groups in the real world.
>>
Easy. Just kill all the elves.
>>
>>47489312
Humanis as the actual group yes, but it seems to be more of a matter of disagreeable methods rather than the entire message being wrong.
>>
>>47489319
>they are very clearly meant to be comparable to racial supremacy groups in the real world.
yes, but the difference being that the differences are pretty damn significant. I mean even if you were an X supermacist, i don't think that you believe you are actually +2 feet and 500 pounds of muscle more than another race, or that you can live for 10x the lifespan of another group.
>>
>>47489336
>it's not about hating elves, it is about being pro human!
>>
>>47489492
yes, but if their reasoning can't justify the extremity of their actions, then their actions are based on hatred and fear and their so-called reasons were thought up after-the-fact

what i mean is, if they truly believe their elf argument, then all that belief really justifies is a political lobbying group that tries to put sanctions on elves or some other lawful actions. it wouldn't justify mass murders or terrorist attacks. they ought to believe their lives (not just their way of life) are in immediate danger to reasonably engage in violence.

because their actions can't be justified by logic alone, they are only violent bigots motivated by hatred, not logic, who can come up with after-the-fact defenses
>>
>>47491843
Fact is, sometimes a peaceful lobbying group won't work. Especially when we are talking extremely old established groups opposing any efforts to equalize the field. Why would a politician work with the humans unless he is also a human supremacist? Large, unaging, extremely wealthy groups of longer-lived races would be a superior group to align with from a political standpoint.

Fact is, saying "Oh, you should use nonviolent methods!" is nice and everything, but a lot of the time that doesn't work. When the disagreements run bone deep, killing the other side is the easiest, fastest, and most effective way to accomplish your objectives.
>>
>>47492018
it sure is, when you're motivated by fear and/or hatred, not logic.

my point was not that they ought to engage in peaceful solutions, it was that because they are resorting to violence, their logical arguments are lies (regardless of whether or not the are logically sound)

they are lying to justify they hate-inspired actions

about your point, you don't see democrats today engaging in mass murder of republicans because it's easier than political recourse. that's because risking life and limb for the sake of murder just isn't reasonable.

additionally, humans are the most numerous meta with already established histories, nations, political groups, etc. if anything, outside of the tir nations, human privilege would be more prevalent than elf privilege (at least to the point that terrorism is not justified)
>>
>>47489492
So it's actually about ethics in racial genocide?
>>
My question is why do we not see more bitter, self-hating orks and trolls? Their lifespans are hideously short compared to that of a human, let alone a dwarf or elf. I know I'd feel shafted if I goblinized.

"So basically what you're telling me is that I have 30-40 years to live."

That sound like a conversation a child should have with their parent?
>>
>>47492706
read Never Trust an Elf
>>
>>47489233
"Orcs"
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.