[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend insists on being DM tonight even though he's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: thisisntagameanymore.jpg (49 KB, 635x457) Image search: [Google]
thisisntagameanymore.jpg
49 KB, 635x457
My friend insists on being DM tonight even though he's a shitty DM who cant make the story fun, and thinks that DnD is a dungeon crawler.

We're playing tonight with like 4 people who have never played and I know theyre gonna get bored of it within like 20 minutes.
Wat do
>>
>>47478266
>thinks that DnD is a dungeon crawler

Well, he isn't wrong.
>>
As for right now, let them.
In general, get better friends.
>>
What can you do, other then take over or not go
Post about it after
>>
>>47478309
I mean in the sense that he thinks we should spend 5 minutes in a town for dialogue and three hours fumbling around a dark dungeon
>>
>>47478316
This

Sounds like it's time to upgrade the people you fraternise with
>>
>>47478331
Not a wrong interpretation, just doesn't match up with yours. Get a new DM if you aren't having fun.
>>
>>47478331
But hey, enough about my sex life.
>>
>>47478331
And?

That's initially why the game was invented, after all. That was the only way to play back in the day. Sure, the system has evolved over the years and is capable of so much more, but pure dungeon crawling is still a very legitimate playstyle, even with 5e. There's nothing wrong with wanting to play in a certain way.

There is a problem with you however. Instead of bitching on the internet, you should be talking with your DM and discussing what kind of game you'd all like to play.
>>
Play a bumbling, haphazard character who gets brutally killed early on. You'll have an excuse to leave early and the other players will be more invested in surviving the dungeon.
>>
>>47478395
HEYOOOO
>>
>>47478266
I know that feel. I've been stuck in 3 rps with a gm who thinks rp is short for "muh combat experience" not even sure how he gets that from rp but he does anyway.
>>
>>47478395
kek

>>47478266
Alright OP for starters, dungeon crawl is just like saying political intrigue, its not bad or good, its all dependent on how the GM is, that being said you stated he was not the best.

>>47478414 kinda has a point here, but a little crudely put, definitely discuss with him whats going on. Does he think running you through 20 rooms of enemies and a dragon at the end is fun? ask him to spice things up a bit, with a couple prisoners in a cell but one of them is a murderer.

And this is just one game right? this isn't a campaign, as long as he tries to engage with the players by being descriptive and intense it can still go great.

if however he says "you enter the room, there are three goblins, roll initiative" every room, never describing the dungeon, or the enemies, or giving chances to take them out tactically, or stealthily, or not even have fights. it just sounds like you've got some inexperience on your hands.

My advice, sit him down since you both are returning players, you both know what to look forward to, work something out to help improve the experience for everyone, be kind about it, don't say "I hate your GM style, do it this way" be cool.

hope that helps
>>
>>47478266
You lost me on how this isn't fun, unless he makes extremely boring dungeons or the players have no idea how to have fun playing people delving into a dungeon. This consists of doing more than rolling dice and drawing a map by the way, thats how to not have fun in a dungeon.
>>
>>47478414
>That was the only way to play back in the day
You fucking OSR kids are delusional. The ratios of railroads, shitty "plots", decently put together hooks, sandboxes, and mindless dungeon crawls were the same then as they are today. The only difference is now there are more of each.
~t. greybeard
>>
Dungeon crawling is fun, and you can just drum up a story while you're crawling.
>>
>>47478331
>plays dungeons and dragons
>can't stand a game where dungeons and dragons take center stage

Have you tried not playing D&D?
>>
Remind him that's it's not a video game, and that he should try to think about characters and interactions over the course of the campaign. Furthermore, tell him to not be afraid to present puzzles that aren't just rolling checks repeatedly.
>>
>>47478266
Have you ever considered asking him to run a module? its great for newbie GM's and ones like your friend. he can even change it up so he feels he has control still.

Either create a thread asking for favorite modules, recommended for newbies, or go to your games general (D&D i assume?)

or go here and pick one of these from a few days ago
>>47455270
>>
>>47478685
>>47478392
>>47478414

No, you misunderstand. He quite literally thinks that every single campaign should be "You walk into a town and something weird is going on. You either get all the information you need from one NPC or you get interrupted out of nowhere for a guy saying HELP ME PLEASE"

Then the next three hours are you going into a dungeon thats filled with stuff like rats and scorpions.
Like there is literally no RPG element to it, its simply "Im going to force you into a generic dungeon with stone walls because doing combat for 3 hours is tonnns of fun"
>>
>>47478331
Yeah, and? That's how D&D is meant to be played.
>>
>>47478895
Like I said, nothing wrong with that, lots of people enjoy mindless dungeon crawling, myself included. If it's not your thing, don't play.
>>
>>47479038
There's a difference between mindless dungeon crawling and combat for three hours.

A good dungeon should have traps, various paths, plot threads, puzzles, and well balanced combat encounters.
>>
>>47479064
Why tell us? Tell him if you really care about it this much.
>>
File: edgy.jpg (31 KB, 357x319) Image search: [Google]
edgy.jpg
31 KB, 357x319
>>47478895
Sounds like a game I'd like to play in.
>>
Nigga how much did you actually talk to this friend of yours before posting about your troubles?
>>
>>47479155
He didn't, because this never happened
>>
>>47478895
I feel like you're exaggerating because you just don't like dungeon crawls. And that's fine, you don't have to, but you should really be telling your DM instead of us.

If you don't, you really have no right to complain, do you?
>>
File: fuckingplebs.jpg (56 KB, 600x810) Image search: [Google]
fuckingplebs.jpg
56 KB, 600x810
>My friend insists on being DM tonight even though he's a shitty DM who cant make the combat fun, and thinks that DnD is a political intrigue simulator.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.