[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: StickItImage_1464369923902.jpg (672 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
StickItImage_1464369923902.jpg
672 KB, 1024x768
WAAAAAGHH! Airlines edition.

>Rules databases
https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
https://mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q
>>
>>47477417

Another general is create >>47477331 plz delt
>>
File: FB_IMG_1464389769624.jpg (146 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1464389769624.jpg
146 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>47477473
>uses some random WD page as OP image
>expects people to find the new general

Uses the right images.
>>
>>47477477
The mini looks quite cool
And can be painted as any chaper you like, not just smurfs
>>
File: METAL BAWKSES.jpg (137 KB, 836x799) Image search: [Google]
METAL BAWKSES.jpg
137 KB, 836x799
This thread has been claimed by the followers of the Box God.
>>
File: Heresy.png (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Heresy.png
47 KB, 400x400
>>47477509
>>
>>47477509
Those are some very shiny Ultramarines there. Wonder if they got a new member to the 'Eavy metal team
>>
>>
>>47477565
I think it's the new paints
>>
>>47477769
The gem paints?
>>
>>47477505
>Uses the right images.
How about you follow the same advice?
This board will not have peace until chicken lover stop shitposting generals with his image
>>
>>47477852
Perhaps, they sell glossy shades now too
>>
File: wut.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Am I doing something wrong with this furioso or do they come like this? That bottom part on the right doesn't look like it fits properly and I don't want to glue it until I know why it looks so fucked up.
>>
File: b6k-p4cJiIw.jpg (35 KB, 604x513) Image search: [Google]
b6k-p4cJiIw.jpg
35 KB, 604x513
So, why is it that Genuine Citadel(R) Finecast(TM) looks like ass compared to some random slavshit garbage? Why doesn't GW just hire a bunch of Russian sculptors if they're so much better?
>>
but god damn if demi companies aren't a bunch of fuckery.

What the hell am i supposed to do with 3 tac squads in a firebringer detachment?
>>
>>47478917
...sauce.
>>
>>47477509
Do not forget, metal boxes are now sturdier than metal bawkses.
>>
>>47478917
Is that.... pepper spray?
>>
File: furioso.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
furioso.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
>>47478505
w/e fuck it, YOLO
>>
>>47479756
It's a Rosarius.
>>
>>47479826
OH! I see it now. I thought the joke was "lol look at how she holds her bolter down while holding pepper spray up, even in space rape is common"
>>
>>47479872
The joke is some homeless communist made something in his back yard that GW's legions of trained professionals claimed was impossible for technical reasons. And it looks better than literally any sculpt GW has ever made. GW is criminally incompetent.
>>
>>47479788
Looks fine to me
>>
File: BA.png (420 KB, 676x6092) Image search: [Google]
BA.png
420 KB, 676x6092
So my friend has the CSM side of the Dark Vengeance starter kit (chaos lord, aspiring champion, two 10er cultists squads, chosen squad, and a helbrute) and he wants to eventually make a dual army of CSM who worship Nurgle and Nurgle daemons. What should be his next purchase? I would love for him to get some Plague Marines cuz they look cool imo but I wanna know what he should get that'll compliment what I currently have and result in maximum fun. Chances are neither of us are going to be playing against anyone else but each other for a long time so points aren't crucial. A balance between "spend all the points" and "you can actually use this in tournaments" would be ideal.
>>
>>47480072
oh come on, say what you like GW makes a quality product.

They are just a shit company.
>>
>>47480200
The Start Collecting box for Nurgle Daemons is a good value, although I'm not sure if he wants to jump into the second army just yet.

Plague marines would be a good option. Maybe get some Rhinos or tanks
>>
>>47480200
Good Nurgle stuff:
Nurgle Bikers (T6!) They take and hold objectives.
Nuglings They are fast tarpits and screening units.
Plaguebearers Not my favorite but decent.
Daemon Prince.
>>
Making a list based on the Infernal Tetrad.
Im looking for some advice on which psychic powers I should roll on for each prince.

I'm thinking of having Tzeentch roll up Divination + Malefic, Nurgle take Biomancy and Slaanesh take Telepathy. I don't have enough mini's to do major Malefic cheese and I'm not sure about the new Chaos Psychic disciplines are any of them good?

[1245]
>War – Khorne Daemon Prince - [260]
DoK / Daemonic Flight / Armor of Scorn / Greater Reward / Lesser Reward
>Famine – Nurgle Daemon Prince - [335]
DoN / Daemonic Flight / Warp Armor / 2x Greater Reward / Mastery 3
>Conquest – Tzeentch Daemon Prince - [330]
DoT / Daemonic Flight / Impossible Robes / Greater Reward / Mastery 3
>Death – Slaanesh Daemon Prince - [330]
DoS / Daemonic Flight / Warp Armor / Greater Reward / Mastery 3 / Soulstealer
>>
>>47480216
>GW makes a quality product.
Fucking kek. Are we even looking at the same models? GW minis look like ass, especially Sisters.
>>
File: army.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
army.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>47480247
>>47480249
Thanks, I'll see if he wants more CSM or if he wants to get started on Daemons. That Starter kit does look pretty good.
After I manage to paint all this shit, what should my next move be? Skyraven? Drop pod? I should probably wait until I actually play a game first... but I still wanna know
>>
>>47480469
I'm not as familiar with loyalists, but vehicles would likely be a good addition. You've alredy got a decent variety of units. I'd say consider some heavy support options like devastators or tanks to help provide long range firepower.
>>
fucking grav is expensive.

Granted 70 points is bubble wrap for your dev squads, but 140 points is no joke.
>>
>>47480421
what the fuck happened to her face?
She looks like my friends mom.
>>
>>47480421
>GW minis look like ass
>just look at this decades old model!
You retards whining that your dead faction doesn't get support are hilarious. I can't wait for the gnashing of teeth when GW finally officially drops Sisters.
>>47480282
DP's can't roll on Divination. Tzeentch is pretty good for magical dakka, Nurgle is pretty good for general support. Other than going Malific to summon buddies, I'd just have as many as possible roll on Biomancy. Iron Arm is just that good.
>>
>>47480535
>why is this absurdly OP gun that's good at killing everything so expensive?!?
>>
File: 1464213536712.png (21 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1464213536712.png
21 KB, 600x450
>>47480072
>hey bob what are we doing today?
>oh you know the usual, listening to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest to get ideas for 40k.
>cool cool, anything in particular you wanna sculpt today? the dartboard is filled up and we're almost out of ideas.
>what are you saying? it might be time to sculpt some new sisters?
>eh, maybe. but i'm not feeling, they're not cool. we'd need to revamp the range, redo their special tank and give them some brand new units
>true true, wanna build another space marine?
>fuck yes
>>
>>47480421
the SoB are good for their age.
These are nearly 15 year old sculpts at this point, its not really fair comparing them too new stuff.
>>
>>47478917
not this shit again...
>>
File: imperial-guard-cadians-kom1f.jpg (14 KB, 400x362) Image search: [Google]
imperial-guard-cadians-kom1f.jpg
14 KB, 400x362
>>47480598
>just look at this decades old model!
I used an SoB model because we were talking about SoBs. GW minis are pretty much blocky and misshapen across the board, though. FW is significantly better.
>>
>>47478917
>Space Mace â„¢
>>
>>47479598
Can't link directly to the sauce, because there isn't one. Can't link to the Russian knock-off facebook, because 4chan anti spam.
Here's a thread on dakka about it.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/691960.page

Anyway, an individual on the facebooks has implied that these fake Russian sisters would be an obstacle to GW making their own plastic sisters. Theey implied that "Grishnak" could sue GW for infringement if GW launched their own line, because GW has neglected their IP so long that they no longer hold dominance of Sisters of Battle. That sounds.... incorrect. But perhaps I'm missing something.
>>
>>47480550
Yeah, I like it. She looks like an actual nerd. Seems almost realistic.
>>
>>47480613
I didn't say the cost was unwarranted.
>>
File: 99120101086_BaalPredatorNEW_01.jpg (37 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99120101086_BaalPredatorNEW_01.jpg
37 KB, 600x620
>>47480534
I'm going with Blood Angels (models on the right are Dark Angels from Dark Vengeance that I plan to convert) and they seem to be all about close combat. This is one of their tanks. Do you think range is still a good idea for balance?
>>
>>47480817
Sounds retarded as shit considering GW has minis for SoB, sounds just as stupid as people claiming FW is a subsidiary of GW. God damn retards.
>>
>>47480817
No, its true.

If you don't use your IP, you lose it.

I heard about this small business owner who had a prior copyright claim, (or was it trademark?) naming his business after his own name. A big franchise sued him over the use of his name and he lost in court.

Use it or lose it.
>>
>>47480907
basically the argument was that he hadn't put his name into production and they had, so even though he filed the prior claim they won the lawsuit.

GW is a big company, though, with lots of lawyers.
>>
>>47480817
Nope. If GW doesn't sue them for a year or two it would open the door for other manufacturers to sell SoB minis, and potentially other 40k minis. No one would be able to sue GW though, since they have decades worth of prior art.
>>
>>47480970
I'm trying to explain to you that in trademark law in America, that doesn't matter. You have to put your trademark into production.

If it goes to court, they are probably going to look at gross sales.
>>
>>47480892
I don't think FW is a subsidiary, i think its a division of the same company. there is no reason they would want to incorporate as a subsidiary because then they would have to pay more taxes.
>>
>>47481006
It does. There's a reason you can't trademark the word "and", or patent the wheel, or claim a black on black color scheme as trade dress. GW would be ceding their right to sue others for the same thing in the future, but you can't make a product similar to one that's been in production for 20+ years and then sue the original creator.
>>
>>47480970
By that logic Frank Herbert would have prior claim because the Sisters of Battle are loosely based off of the Bene Jesuit.

They might even have a better claim to it because Frank Herberts son is still writing books for the Dune series.
>>
>>47480752
new GW minis are good. GW is generally good quality for their age. They just keep a good number of sculpts in production for 10 or 20 years and they're starting tok show their age.
>>
>>47481054
If you neglect your IP you are not putting your TM into production. If you haven't sold a model for several years, and somebody else is turning them out like gangbusters, you can't hold onto your TM like a miser.
>>
File: fuckyoutheselookdope.png (2 MB, 1683x1957) Image search: [Google]
fuckyoutheselookdope.png
2 MB, 1683x1957
>>47480715
>>
>>47481054
oh right, i missed the jist of your post.

sorry.

You are correct.
>>
>>47481061
Exactly. If GW tried to sue the Herbert estate for IP infringement for Navigators and Bene Gesserit, they'd be laughed out of court, because of 60 years of prior art.
>>
>>47481054
So yeah, basically if Grishnek sued GW, they wouldn't have a case, but if GW sued Grishnek, there is a chance they might lose.
>>
>>47481173
Not to mention that international law, especially copyright and trademark infringement, is notorious difficult and filled with red tape.
>>
>>47481173
Yes. The longer they go without suing, the more likely they are to lose. It makes sense because otherwise they could let Grishnak do their thing for 10 or 15 years, and then sue them when they're the size of GW and make tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars
>>
If I brought no other anti-air, would two scout squad flakk missile launchers do the job and be worth the points against one or maybe two fliers?
>>
>>47481312
how many points?

Flakk is kinda crap
>>
>>47481345
>>
>>47481312
Just take a Stormraven. It's a well rounded flyer that can handle AA and make itself useful against ground targets as well.
>>
I don't have a problem with GW quality; I never did.

They sell an excellent product and have some truly inspired designs.

In fact, you might say the reason I hate them so much is because they have a strangle hold on something I really, really enjoy.

Its like if North Korea controlled the worlds supply of beer.
>>
>>47481356
you'd need at least 4-6 ML's with flakk to take out one or two fliers, and they'd have to sit mostly parked out on a objective marker or hiding inside some cover to be effective.
>>
>>47481312
If you're taking the scouts just to provide some anti air your ought to get a hunter or stalker instead, they are about the same point cost.
>>
>>47481416
They would be sniper + objective holders too. The missiles would be secondary.

I ask because my local meta does not seem too flyer-heavy outside of one dude's Sunshark, some Deldar stuff and FMCs.
>>
File: NemesisDreadknight.jpg (128 KB, 650x610) Image search: [Google]
NemesisDreadknight.jpg
128 KB, 650x610
>>47481381
>truly inspired designs
>>
>>47481439
>yo dawg
>>
>>47481439
>some

was the operative word there
>>
>>47481426
You're better off taking something that isn't AA but can handle the role in a pinch. That includes other flyers, anything with a high fire rate and preferably Twin Linked (Land Raider Prometheus with Psybolt ammo or double Gatling Knight), and anything that can immobilize (grav).
>>
>>47481524
assault cannon razor backs aren't too bad, anything twinlinked is good too look for.
>>
>>47481571
I was planning on having a bunch of grav-toting Command Squads in las-plas-backs so that might work out, actually.
>>
>>47481524
yeah, but what are you going to field for 70-80 points?
>>
Is there such thing as a Librarian on a bike? Would that make him a byker?
>>
>>47481798
(groan)

to the warp with ye
>>
>>47481571
maybe if you got a half dozen of em
>>
>>47481744
You're thinking of this backwards. You don't want 70 points of AA. You want 200 points of assrape you can point towards if necessary. Everything should have a purpose, but nothing should ever have just one purpose.
>>
>>47481842
if you're usually pnly facing 1 flyer 2 assault razor backs is enough to be useful.
>>
A quick rules clarification with Knight Commander Pask. He grants his unit preferred enemy, can reroll all penetration rolls, and can reroll to-hits with the Vanquisher.

Non of that stacks, right? I can't roll to hit, get a one, reroll for preferred enemy, reroll for crack shot, reroll again for another preferred enemy on a one, reroll a one to pin for preffered enemy, reroll to penetrate for crack shot, and then reroll to penetrate again if I roll ones again...right?

I mean, that seems absurd saying it out loud and I'm pretty sure it's wrong. I'm pretty sure you only get one reroll of to-hit and to-pen per attack, but there's nothing in the rules that says one way or the other.
>>
>>47480469
I can only speak for Blood Angels since I don't play Dark Angels (though I will say a Rhino is rarely a waste of money for any Space Marine player).

If I were you, I'd get a squad of Assault Marines/Death Company/Sanguinary Guard, two Drop Pod, and/or a Vindicator for the Blood Angels side.

Blood Angel Assault Marines can take 2 Melta guns in a 5 men sqaud and come with free jump packs, making for a very mobile anti-vehicle/heavy infantry unit that can also take on light infantry in Assault.

Death Company can't take regular Melta guns (only melta pistols) and have to buy jump packs for 3 points a model, but get an insane number of attacks and Feel No Pain. They make huge swathes of dudes disappear in a single turn. They're a very fun and inexpensive (both in points and money) unit to play, and a unit unique to our codex.

Sanguinary Guard are your Honor Guard equivalent. Every Model has a 2+ armor save, jump packs, Master-Crafted (bur Two-Handed) Power Swords/Axes, and AP4 Storm Bolters (albeit with pistol range). They can buy power fists for only 10 points and can buy a banner that makes them even more choppy. Very good unit for their price (again, both in points and money), though the models themselves can be finicky to assemble.

Drop Pods are a Blood Angel standby, letting you get your Dreadnoughts Squads exactly where they need to be as fast as possible for a relatively cheap point cost..

A Vindicator will give you a Strength 10 Large Blast with a 24 inch range. Blood Angel Vindicators can also be made into Fast Vehicles for almost nothing, allowing you to move 12" and shoot up to 24", creating one of the scariest vehicles in the game when you take into account it only costs 130 points.
>>
>>47480598
>You retards whining that your dead faction doesn't get support are hilarious. I can't wait for the gnashing of teeth when GW finally officially drops Sisters

What has life done to you that you look forward to seeing fellow anons' disappointment? Why so angry and mean spirited
>>
>>47482263
You can reroll to hit once, reroll to pen once, etc. You can't reroll a reroll.
>>
>>47482263
Correct, each roll only gets one reroll max.
>>
>>47482263
Page 11 on BRB, general principles. No single dice can be re-rolled more than once. You re-roll once so you use your best option.
>>
How low can an invuln save go through the use of upgrades and stuff? Is there a lower cap, or can you make it go all the way down to 2++?
>>
>>47482263
you can only get one reroll per turn regardless of where its from.

I learned that about the salamanders flamercraft and it made me sad that I couldn't have double TL flamers.
>>
>>47480598
Then we'll get better models and use them with better rules. It will be a good day when I first glue a gravgun to my Retributors.
>>
>>47482374
>>47482382
>>47482383
>>47482404
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for the page reference, and Thank You. I knew the stacking rerolls made no sense, but we all know Warhammer's rules have a tendency to dogpile on themselves and I feel its good to make sure.
>>
Am i the only one who thinks chapter caps are stupid?

whats the point of limiting your forces to 1000 per chapter when you've got chaos marines who can make an unlimited number of themselves?

How do chaos space marines make more marines, anyway? If they couldn't make more they'd have all died out when they lost their geneseed...
>>
>>47482394
All saves cap at 2+. Read the BRB.
>>
>>47482451
>you've got chaos marines who can make an unlimited number of themselves?
What?
>How do chaos space marines make more marines, anyway?
They don't, they convert more loyalists.
>>
File: the fate of black templars.jpg (14 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
the fate of black templars.jpg
14 KB, 236x354
>>47482451
black templars pls go back to sleep
>>
>>47482451
>whats the point of limiting your forces to 1000 per chapter when you've got chaos marines who can make an unlimited number of themselves?
Space Marines can just bring additional chapters if they're facing more than a thousand Chaos Space Marines.

>How do chaos space marines make more marines, anyway? If they couldn't make more they'd have all died out when they lost their geneseed...
Outside of a few experiments, there has been (to my knowledge) no way of "making" new chaos space marines. But you can always convert existing space marines, and that's sort of the point of chaos.
>>
>>47482466
thats stupid, they would have all died from attrition by now.
>>
>>47482451
The chapter limit exists so that if a chapter goes renegade, you're only losing 1000 marines instead of an entire legion or whatever.

If you need more marines, you just make more chapters, which is how you can help match numbers.

Chaos Marines do have Hereteks and people who can extract and implant geneseed. They tend to have more edgy recruitment methods, and a few really heretical methods for making new marines, but Chaos isn't relying on loyalists falling for their numbers, despite the fact that some people don't understand the idea that Chaos has less restrictions, not more.
>>
>>47482473
>Pic filename
Black Templars become ice cream? What?
>>
>>47482479
but thats even dumber. then you basically have to create a new chapter everytime you want more marines.
>>
>>47482451
>How do chaos space marines make more marines, anyway?
Corrupting loyalists, cloning, and upgrading stronger cultists are the tame options. You don't want to know about the less ethical means.
>>
>>47482502
Bruh, you literally paint the armour a diffirent colour and stick the overflow of extra marines from a full chapter onto some planet and give it some sports-team sounding name.

Bam, new chapter.
>>
Has it ever occurred to anyone that you can never have EXACTLY 1000 marines in a chapter? They are constantly suffering attrition and recruiting new members...

What happens when someone goes missing and everybody thinks they are dead, then turns up later? Does someone get demoted?
>>
>>47482536
But the chapter is most likely just going to follower its founding chapters footsteps, right? If one chapter falls, the second founding can't be far behind...
>>
>>47482497
Vanilla
>>
>>47482502
The problem is Space Marines are effectively brain dead. The amount of conditioning that goes into making them prevents them from making real choices, and they are drawn from the jockiest part of the population to begin with. Insert thoughtless loyalty and you have an organization ready to commit betrayal at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>47482539
Marine chapters are never at 1000 members. Firstly, that 1000 includes the 10th company of scouts, but a chapter can have more than 100 scouts that get put outside of that company.

Then you also have Librarians, Techmarines, Apothecaries, and vehicle crews also not counting towards the total. If a marine goes missing and shows up later, they'll just stick him on Rhino driving duty until somebody kicks the bucket.
>>
>>47482577
So why can't officers be excluded from the count?
>>
>>47482556
It depends on how closely aligned they are. If they interact regularly? Maybe, but a lot of chapters are founded far away from their progenitors using gene-seed tithes.

A random Crimson Fists successor that only knows they decend from Crimson Fists because that's what it says on the paperwork isn't going to go traitor if their parent chapter who they've met maybe once goes renegade. If anything, that's just makes smiting them more personal.

Again, this is a case by case basis, but generally having separate chapters decreases the number of marines that go renegade at any given time.
>>
>>47482484
They have 9 mostly complete Traitor Legions, compared to one complete and 8 gutted loyalist Legions. Plus they have a fair number of the later Foundings, including most of the Cursed Founding, which was one of the largest.
>>
>>47482587
I always used to think it was odd that a "squad" was 12 men, until someone explained it to me that the sgt. is usually accompanied by a corporal, and was expected to hang back and maintain radio contact with the rest of his platoon, and the corporal is considered his attendant.

Then you basically have private first class, which is the guy who gets to hold the squad weapon/ flamethrower/sgt pet gerbil or whatever.
>>
>>47482587
They might be. I don't recall if Captains and Chapter masters get a pass. I think dreadnoughts might be excluded for how much they talk about being dead. Either way, the 1000 marine thing isn't a perfectly hard cap. If they end up with too many marines, then they either assign them to support roles, or just declare a crusade against something so they don't get in trouble while they wait for their numbers to normalize.
>>
>>47482539
Headcanon it and say they have approximately 10k each, possibly more for Loyalists (especially if they all pull Dangles succession tactics).

Makes the scales work out better.
>>
>>47482621
I'd say its kind of the oppisite. Without some sort of centralized command structure, they all operate someone like seperate terrorist cells. They all basically have seperate ideals and beliefs systems and the farther they are from a founding chapter the more potential there is for radicalization. There is a chance any one of them could fall, taking a full 1000 space marines with them.
>>
>>47482497
chocolate mixed into vanilla
black templars folded into the vanilla marine book
>>
>>47482676
See, this totally makes sense to me.

10k is a much more reasonable number, it fits the scale of the game perfectly.
>>
Gonna ask here just in case. The mega for painting guides was broken and I was curious if anyone had a download for the Skitarii and/or the Admech painting guides. Thanks in advance
>>
>>47482676
Sorry, meant to say 1st founding instead of loyalists.
>>
>>47480200
Nurgle marines, nurgle bikers, or oblits
>>
>>47482635
as it has been explained to me real world squads during world war two were typically 9 or 12

>corporal
>2 guys for special weapons (such as a light machine gun and a mortar)
>6-9 riflemen

platoon as explained to me were usually 3 squads, then another 10 guys or so with a radio, heavy machine gun, anti-tank weapon, lieutenant, and sergeant.

This actually makes guard platoons not that bad, except of course real world soldiers can act autonomously don't freak out if they are more than 6 feet from their friends.
>>
>>47482688
Alright, say you have a founding chapter called the Space Hawks or whatever. They're 1000 marines strong.

Over the years, they get 5 successor chapters, each another 1000 marines strong. We'll say they're also far enough apart to all have distinct ideals and beliefs, but are close enough that they could still contact eachother if a big threat showed up.

Now, imagine a scenario where after all these founding chapters get made, the Space Hawks go renegade. In your view, instead of making those 5 successor chapters, they should have just all been Space Hawks. Now you've got a 6000 marine chapter who all went renegade to be with their battle-brothers.

With the successor chapters and the difference of beliefs, you might get 1 or 2 who side with them if you're very lucky. That puts it at 3000 renegades tops, and they're right near 3000 loyalists who probably wouldn't like the fact that their cousins have gone renegade. That's a black mark on their record unless they purge them ASAP.

Same with any of the individual chapters. If one falls to Chaos, there's a good chance the rest are going to take them out or at least severely weaken them.

Even if they're all doomed to fall to Chaos, it's very unlikely that they'd do so at the same time. It'd be a slow trickle of renegades, which is much easier to deal with. If they're all eventually going to become traitors, better they be separate and fight amongst themselves rather than be a unified whole that leaves all at once, possibly even keeping their renegade nature secret for longer until they can build up their numbers even more.

The chapter system was specifically put in place so you wouldn't have entire legions going traitor at once, which is exactly what happened in the heresy days.
>>
>>47482539
I think a lot of Chapters have more than 1000. Then there are probably Chapters stationed on the outer rim that have all but lost contact with the Imperium. Maybe they are out there crusading hard, running low on supplies, slowly dwindling numbers. sanity recedes in favor of more zeal. New recruits are no longer wanted. Brother..
>>
>>47482794
The only reason it makes sense is if we consider Marines to only ever be mindless loyalty drones that do nothing but loyal up the place as they loyal around all day and loyal with their loyal homies.
>>
>>47482539
even offical lore states some chapters are over strength or under strength, and it comes across that the 1000 marines rule is not super strictly enforced, just that if it is ignored it will start getting a lot of attention.

The Black Templars get around that by not keeping an accurate count of how many marines they have. Officially, they have a thousand marines. Unofficially? They aren't sure, but they have many more than that.

Of course that only counts marines. If you include aspirants, servitors, serfs, and other support staff I wonder how big a chapter is? How many people working does it take to keep a thousand space marines and all of their wargear combat ready?
>>
>>47482826
Yeah, that's pretty much what Marines do, unless they go renegade. Can you even read?
>>
I'll just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15gihWu1SM
>>
>>47482852
The Black Templars canonically only have about 1300 marines now, thanks to GW.
>>
>>47482826
No. It's pretty much the exact oppposite of what you said. If Marines were only ever loyal, then there would be no reason to split them up.

The idea of dividing legions in to chapters makes sense because marines can go renegade at all. Furthermore, when Marines go renegade, they tend to take a large number of their Battle Brothers with them.

Solution? Make sure each marine has less battle-brothers, so IF they go renegade, you've only lost 1000 marines, instead of an entire legion.
>>
>>47482897
>The Black Templars canonically only have about 1300 marines now, thanks to GW.
I choose to believe they have more that they are willfully ignorant about, or that they aren't counting marines that are on crusade or something.
>>
File: careful what you wish for.jpg (37 KB, 250x286) Image search: [Google]
careful what you wish for.jpg
37 KB, 250x286
>>47482913
>implying they didn't get monkey's paw
>implying this isn't better then asking for a codex update
>>
>>47482856
>>47482904
If Marines are typically mostly loyal to the Imperium, but some still go renegade/chaos, then we can assume that they are still free-thinking beings and you could reasonably trust that they won't go along with peer pressure just because. That's the point I was making in >>47482826.

That said, there would be other issues with loyalists vs traitors within the same chapter. Loyalists might all get jumped by the renegades and killed quickly, if the traitors have good planning, luck and timing.

But it's a lot harder to know who's your friend and who's your enemy in larger and larger groups, and it would definitely be a lot more difficult to execute a first strike against a significantly bigger chunk of Marines.

Example situation: That random chapter from before has 6000 Marines. One dude starts going chaos from this little relic he found, and let's say he turns his own company plus a few more slowly and over time, keeping it on the down-low as much as possible. So he's got ~500 dudes that will assuredly turn with him--not unreasonable. In a 1000 man chapter, the other 500 could be seriously fucked.

But with 5500 other Marines of loyal or dubiously traitor affiliation, the situation becomes quite challenging for 500 men to handle.
>>
>>47482765
>>47482872

This video basically highlights the difference between "Old Imperial Guard" and "New Imperial Guard". The Old Guard was basically what you see "In the movies" as the video guy described. Wereas the new guard is what you see in the platoon organization charts you get today:
A bunch of 10 guy rifle teams
Supported by an equal number of heavy weapons squads.
With a Platoon Command Group with all the special weapons in the lead giving commands.

Now of course we still get a ton more troops in each squad because grimmity grimdark grimdark horde shooty army. But at least now you could reasonably take a 2 to 5 "Sections" of 1 Rifle squad and one heavy weapons squad each, then a command squad with plasma or melta or something. One other advantage of IG platoons is every squad gets it's own AT weapon, be it plasma in the rifle team or a rocket/lascannon in the HWT.
>>
>>47483002
My point is that if you remove the sgt. and the corporal, your 2 men short of a 10 man firing line, which is why squads come in 12 and not 10
>>
>>47482952
>we can assume that they are still free-thinking beings and you could reasonably trust that they won't go along with peer pressure just because

Except that's wrong, because that's what happens. You don't get renegade 'chapters' that are just a couple of assault marines that stole a shuttle or whatever. Battle Brothers take the brother thing rather seriously.

>loyalists vs traitors within the same chapter
>it would definitely be a lot more difficult to execute a first strike against a significantly bigger chunk of Marines.

The Word Bearers went traitor secretly and managed to eliminate every single loyalist sympathizer within their entire LEGION without anyone else noticing. Traitors and Renegades tend to either get snuffed out quickly, or have enough of a base that they can root out any remaining loyalists.

>1000 vs 500

The 500 might risk staying and fighting, potentially weakening them, potentially losing, and potentially having the other chapters in the subsector show up to help the loyalists squash them anyway

>5500 vs 500

They're probably just going to cut and run once they get the chance, or stay hidden longer and potentially slowly corrupt even more marines over to their side.

We have plenty of evidence that larger groups of marines aren't much safer against going renegade. The most obvious ones being the Traitor Legions who numbered in the tens of thousands and yet still almost unanimously went renegade.
>>
>>47483046
you seem like a nice guy, but your just wrong dude.
>>
>>47483064
You have to actually explain how I'm wrong. You can't just say it. I've given you plenty of examples why your 'solution' won't work, and hasn't worked in-universe.
>>
>>47482913
Believe what you want, GW says that they've never been above that number.
>>
>>47483046
Sorry, I'm not trying to approach this with GW's writing in mind (because it's retarded)--I'm trying to prove that they don't really even have a good idea of how this would play out in a "realistic" situation. It might work out in favor of the traitors in a large chapter/legion depending on their beliefs, like the Word Bearers. But for "average" Joe Schmuck marines who are not stupid they'd probably be just fine.

PS, I'm not >>47483064
>>
>>47483076

Arg 1
> Its in the fluff so it must follow that it is true
Arg 2
>not relvant, off topic
Arg 3
part 1
>not relavant
part 2
>in the fluff so it must be true

Your just throwing up whiffage.

Its fun to argue, but when you throw hot air like that you take all the fun out of it.
>>
Honestly, if you want a good "in-fluff" reason for why space marine chapters are kept at 1000 each, it would make more sense that the administratum was trying to keep power in as many different hands as possible, keeping the space marines divided and preventing them from enacting any kind of reform.

except that doesn't really follow cause i think it was Girlyman idea, wasn't it?
>>
>>47483093
>>47483116
So if we ignore all of the fluff we've been given, then the answer is the opposite of what the fluff says.

Forgive me if I don't find that an amazing argument.

If your point is that a bigger chapter helps prevent renegades, then explain how the Horus Heresy happened in the first place. After all, those were the biggest concentrations of marines ever.
>>
>>47483188
>Well in the novel "Dragons vs. Fighter Jets" the dragons won, so it follows that if dragons were to fight fighter jets, the dragons would win, and therefore in "Dragon vs. Fighter Jets 2", the dragons should win
>>
>>47483210
>I really think the Fighter jets should win in the second book
>But everything in the first book shows that Dragons are better in every way. You're ignoring fluff
>Yeah, but dragons aren't even realistic so the fluff is wrong
>>
>>47483155
The military of the Inperium is based on Byzantiums military Thema system. They decentralized control to the provinces, made each province provide infantry to defend themselves and established cavalry forces to run back and forth to aid the infantry.
>>
>>47483188
Again, GW is retarded. My whole point is that the fluff that supports your claim makes no sens (generally speaking).

In some cases, I could see it happening. Night Lords and World Eaters etc., where the whole legion already had the pre-established culture that was edging on heretical, yeah it's believable that a majority would turn.

But let me restate--I'm talking about the average chapters here, not legions. If they're coming from a stable place and have a normal, loyalist mentality, then having more numbers won't hurt.

Even an in-fluff example for you, since you like them so much: Black Templars. Up until recently, they had 8000ish men running about. And it made sense! They were hardcore, zealous crusaders who would never turn to chaos because they were too busy slamming their swords in its arse.
>>
>>47483258
So basically your maintaining continuity by insuring things never change?

brilliant!
>>
>>47483273
>Even an in-fluff example for you, since you like them so much: Black Templars.

I have not once mentioned the Black Templars. They have a lot of Chaplains though, and it's kind of the Chaplains job to snuff out renegade mentalities.

>If they're coming from a stable place and have a normal, loyalist mentality, then having more numbers won't hurt.

Because hypno-indoctrinated genetically altered fanatical murder machines are known for their stability?

I'll go ahead and bring up the Badab War, just to give us another talking point. The Astral Claws were a big threat specifically because they were building up their numbers so much. Their Chapter Master just made the decision to stop tithing and ramp up recruitment, and his chapter went along with him.

Not every chapter is on the same level of loyalty and sanity. Circumstances are different, and not everyone is going to be the Ultramarines.

You're right that the average chapter doesn't go renegade, but the chapters that go renegade aren't typically the average. More often you do get the ones with the near-heretical cultures. Having larger numbers of marines doesn't make those near-heretical cultures less likely to turn renegade though, at least not anymore than making that chapter two separate ones and hoping one is less heretical.
>>
>>47483258
>Clearly this is a case of the Author not taking into account the biological limitations of a Dragon when compared to the technological advantages of the fighter jet. I know we have dragons vs fighter jets but we need some realism in our supersonic future jets vs magical giant flying lizards literature.
>>
>>47483342
I mean to say you liked in fluff examples. My b.

>hypno-indoctrinated

The way you phrase it is intended to sound negative, but yeah actually outside of the Horus Heresy these guys have been overall really fucking good. They almost never get PTSD, they fight through terrible mental trauma and those currently loyal almost always stay loyal to the Imperium.

The Badab War isn't a great example. The reason the Astral Claws were bad was because Huron was controlling them and being a fuckhead. Them having increased numbers would be dangerous since they were, you know, already all renegades by that point. (on an ironic side note, most of the chapters on their side in the war were "good guys" and then you've got Marines Malevolent, Minotaurs, Exorcists etc on the other end)

>hoping the successors are better
I can't actually think of any chapters where the successors don't maintain a relatively close bond with their progenitors. Unknown founding ones wouldn't, of course, but there are few enough of those; and speaking of, IN FLUFF there aren't really that many crazy chapters. We just hear more about the ones that are.
>>
Does a techmarine with Servo-Harness get six attacks on the charge? And does the Feel No Pain bonus from the sons of the gorgon demi formation in the angels of death grant a 2+ FNP if they are near a librarius conclave?

The storm formation is pretty mean. Just got my ass kicked.
>>
>>47483529
techmariens are 2 attacks base, +1 for charging, +1 for 2 CCW, so they should max out at 4
the fnp thing is only ever a +1 for having IC's around
>>
>>47483546

The argument was the servo harness, pistol, and axe all count for one, plus two base and one for charging.

If you have 4 IC's from the conclave within 12 does it really stack?
>>
>>47483571
It doesn't matter if you have 50 cc weapons. You get +1 attack if you have at least 2. That's it.
>>
>>47483571
thats retarded, you only ever get +1 for having multiple close combat weapons
and no, it doesnt, it'll give +1 at most, unless psychic powers/apothecaries come into play
>>
>>47483529

On page 41 of the rule book under "more than one weapon" it states "if a model has more than one melee weapon, he must choose which one to attack with when he comes to strike blows - he cannot mix and match the abilities of several different melee weapons."

You would choose to attack with either the power axe or the servo arms. The dual servo arms would give +1 attack because you have 2 specialist weapons, and the bolt pistol + power axe would give +1 attack due to having 2 close combat weapons.

Either way you would strike with either the servo arms OR the power axe, unless otherwise stated in the servo harness/arms special rules (i checked and couldn't find anything). The number of attacks you would make the base number of attacks +1, in either scenario.

Basically you'd make 2 attacks with either the axe or the servo arms. Not including charge or whatever. 2 attacks.

edit: your confusion seems to come from the fact that in older editions of the codex servo arms gave an additional "servo arm" attack on top of everything else. This is no longer the case. Servo arms are now functionally exactly the same as a weapon (a powerfist at ap1).
>>
>>47483587

He seemed pretty sure. Anyway, he made a bunch of 2+ FNP's and I got tabled. He said that's how everyone who played the new angel of death book is doing it.

The psychic powers were really really strong too. The power creep is unreal.
>>
>>47483619
>He said that's how everyone who played the new angel of death book is doing it.
never trust someone who uses that as his reasoning
ask to see the book so you can figure out the right way to play it, done be rude about it, but just make sure, especially if its something retarded like that
>>
File: mechanized Orks.jpg (186 KB, 1190x844) Image search: [Google]
mechanized Orks.jpg
186 KB, 1190x844
Any tips for a vehicle heavy 1850pt Ork list?

I know it's not ideal, but it would be hella fun.

I'm interested in any and all vehicles. Warbikes, Battlewagons, Dakkajets, anything.
>>
>>47483648

It said they get +1 FNP if an IC is within 12" If there are 4 within 12...
>>
>>47483708
It's not a stacking thing. It's a single line check

Think of it this way.

There's 1 IC within 12". Is there an IC within 12"? Yes, so +1 FNP

There's 50 ICs within 12" Is there an IC within 12"? Yes, so +1 FNP.

It doesn't say +1 for each. It doesn't care about number. It just cares if there is or is not.

Same way with melee weapons. You don't get an attack for each weapon you have. You just check if they have at least 2.
>>
>>47483703
You need a kill bursta tank with the bursta kannon. It is your best solution to superheavies.

Bigg Trakks get squads and can take Supakannons for cheap, those are your arty. Battlewagons are your tanks.
>>
>>47477477
Is there really only 100 stores? Insane that there's one in my backwater town then.

>that base
10/10
>>
>>47477477
I really like this model, but the nearest store would basically take me all day to get there and back and I am 1000% sure they will be sold out by the time I get there
>>
>>47483703
Well taking Zhadsnark as your warlord gives you Warbikes as troops and they are quite much better than Boyz. Also taking Bullyboyz, giving them 5x Scorcha and shoving them into trukk is not a bad option either, giving you fast and hard hitting power that can deal with multiple hard targets.
>>
>All Hull Point values are doubled
>All transports are assault vehicles
>Units that had the assault vehicle rule now allow disembarking in Assault phase prior to charging, even if the vehicle moved Flat Out

Would the above be a good thing?
>>
>>47484687
No, the answer to a broken system isn't to wildly swing it in the other direction.
>>
>>47483997
>>47484668
Sweet, thanks guys.

Both options sound fun, but I'll probably stick to the bike mob since Forge World stuff will get too expensive for my tastes.
>>
>>47483733
And even with this reasoning its easy to get 2+++ FNP for your warlord.
Chaptermaster (6+ for being IH)
Decurion bonus (+1 Being within 12" of IC, 5+)
Gorgons chain (+1 for having enough wounds, 4+
Command Squad's Apothecary's Nartheceum (5+ stacking with all bonuses, total 2+++)
>>
File: edna.jpg (494 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
edna.jpg
494 KB, 2000x3000
>>47480421
>>
>>47484882
I'm pretty sure the Apothecary gives Feel No Pain(5+) which replaces the Feel No Pain(6+) for being Iron Hands. You'd need the Warlord Trait to get you to 2+.
>>
>>47485224
Not anymore
>>
would like some help with my upcoming tank shock competition.

its 500 points with the following restrictions.
-army must have minimal 1 tank or monstrous creature
-except for your monstrous creature no model in the army may have a better armour save then 3+
-army must contain 1 troop choice (guardians, rangers, dire avengers or jetbikes)
-if you are taking an HQ it may have no more then 2 wounds.

any ideas? my tank will be a fire prism so thats 125 and will leave me with 375 left over.
>>
anyone here played with deathwatch overkill genestealer cult?

Are they any good?

Is it kind of lame just breaking half the rules to make assault viable or does it feel balanced?
>>
>>47485364
Genestealer Cults were great when they were BB with Tyranids, but right now you can't really use them as a stand alone force
>>
>>47485310
so far i have
1 fire prism 125
1 wraithlord with ghostglaive 125
5 scatterbikes 135
leaving me with 115 points. maybe some swooping hawks? or is it worth it to upgrade the fireprism/wraithlord.
>>
>>47484882
>And even with this reasoning
I hope you're not trying to imply that there's any other valid reading of the rules. RaW are clear that it's a single +1 if you're w/in 12" of an IC.
>>47485224
Iron Hands Chapter tactics specifically grants a 6+ Feel no Pain or +1 to any other Feel no Pain saves the model has.
>>
>>47484687
Rather than double all hull points, make it so that glances don't automatically strip a point and make it so that the vehicle damage chart isn't so absurdly crippling. Shake individual weapons instead of the entire vehicle, make it so that the first immobilization result is just drive system damaged, make it so that explodes just strips an extra point if the vehicle has multiple hull points remaining.

All transports are assault vehicles might be too much. At the very least, bring back assaulting out of stationary transports.
>>
>>47485612
the most straight forward fix that looks good is just give everything and extra hullpoint and subract remain hullpoints when rolling on the damage chart.
>>
>>47485663
That still doesn't really do anything about the vehicle damage chart meaning a single penetrating hit cripples most vehicles for at least a turn.
>>
>>47485699
well no. but thats not a problem. A penetrating hit even if it doesn't kill the vehicle should still be pretty bad.
Minor hits are glancing hits.
>>
Is it just me or does it feel a bit "wrong" that Pathfinders don't have at least Stealth? Or Infiltrate? I'd argue both of those fit them better than Scout.

Also thinking of attaching Shadowsun to them and then ditching just so I can Infiltrate them with my stealths and ghostkeel, have half my army arrive via Outflanking. Can't attach to Crisis cause I don't field any.
>>
>>47486014
>Stealth and Infiltrate
Nah, that role is filled for the Tau by Stealth suits.

No need for redundancy, it's okay and suitable for unit choices to have trade-offs
>>
>>47486118
IO dunno, I both agree with you and don't. Pathfinders are the eyes of the Cadre, they risk life and limb to get up close and behind enemy lines to recon and use markerlights. Stealthsuits are lone wolves who act independently to take on an offensive support role. They're the active support as opposed to the PF's Passive support.

But I do agree game-wise it would pose a bit of a balance issue. But at least Infiltrate would be nice, or at least Outflank. The fact they take different CAD roles would lessen the impact, would be cool to have a pure stealthy/ambush army that wasn't just stealthsuits and didn't force me to take mandatory Fire Warriors.
>>
>>47486194
Scout gives the outflank special rule if they're in reserve.
>>
>>47482142
Skyfire works against skimmers too....
>>
>>47486216
..Oh. Shit! Then I don't need to attach Shadowsun at all! I was under the impression only Infiltrate conferred Outflank, man this is really confusing about what gives what.

This makes things easier. Final question, when you come in through outflank and have a side picked, can you come anywhere along that edge within 6" ? The Reference sheet doesn't give distance so I assume it depends on the unit type.
>>
File: 1441569144082.gif (1 MB, 670x552) Image search: [Google]
1441569144082.gif
1 MB, 670x552
950 tourney list using ITC missions

+++ Chaos (950pts) +++

++ Chaos Daemons: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (950pts) ++

+ HQ (375pts) +

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (280pts) [Daemon of Khorne, Skullreaver (30pts)]

Daemonic Heralds (95pts)
····Herald of Nurgle (95pts) [Daemon of Nurgle, Psyker Level 2 (50pts), Warlord]

+ Troops (165pts) +

1x Nurglings of one model

2x Nurglings of three models

+ Fast Attack (160pts) +

2x Flesh Hounds of Khorne

+ Heavy Support (250pts) +

2x Skull Cannon of Khorne
>>
>>47486323
Unit if five nurglings for herald to sit in for spawning more dogs.
>>
>>47486272
You can move on up to the models normal allowance anywhere on the table edge.
>>
>>47485383
Wouldn't they be a perfectly fine standalone once their codex comes out and fleshes them out though?
>>
>>47486350
Awesome stuff! I just realized that I can't Outflank my ghostkeel though, but then again it would be great bait for a Kauyon tactic.

I run a Commander with 6 marker drones for that sweet Bs5 and he uses 2 missile pods to still be able to attack, but I thought if attaching Shadowsun to them and outflanking would be good. They gain all the coversave goodness and 3d6 jump but go back to BS3. And I'm free to run my Commander as a Coldstar (this is for casual games).

Not ideal, but sounds pretty fun.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
>>47477417
new to 40k here, please explain something to me, if a blast weapon lands on a vehicle, how many hits does it take?
>>
>>47486422
One.
>>
>>47486439
Normal blast weapons are against the side closest to the firing model.
>>
>come in here
>already arguments about OP
>Carnac bitching
>People shilling proxy SoB models
>>
>>47486014
The Ranged Support Cadre formation (Mont'ka, Farsight Enclaves) gives them Infiltrate and Shrouded (if they ever shoot anything aside Markerlights or move, they lose it; the new FAQ also removes it if they Scout)
>>
>>47486457
My bad. I'll delete so others don't get confused.
>>
>reading Throne World
>Two Eldar Harlequins kill shit-loads of Adeptus Custodes
>Death Jester solos 12 on his own
>Adeptus Custodes punches the female leader in the face and it doesn't kill her

Odd as fuck. Though, at least it ends the meme that Custodes don't wear any armour, since people seem to get their fucking fluff from Text to Speech Device.
>>
>>47486472
Sounds good but too flimsy, plus I don't field Broadsides neither. I run mostly pure foot infantry.
>>
>>47486507
For 500 points, you can have 110 point Commander. Then 30 Fire Warriors AND Turret for 390 points. The Turret is insane. It'll end most infantry only armies. Your only problem will be Deep Striking Terminators and Assault Death Company.
>>
>>47486472

>Take Ranged Support
>Give Devilfish to every Pathfinder Squad.
>Infiltrate Devilfish with Pathfinders.
>Tank Shock/Ram on Turn 1.
>>
How good are Remoras and Tetras?
>>
>>47486573
Tetras are GOAT. Decent amount of marker lights and more survivable than Pathfinders, simply because you can jink save and they're faster to get hidden. Plus you don't lose 110 points of Pathfinders to a Thunderfire Cannon/Demolisher Cannon or whatever.
>>
>>47486507
>Tau Pathfinders should have Infiltrate and Stealth
>here's a formation that gives Infiltrate and Shrouded
>naw, too flimsy
Were you retarded before you chose Tau, or does the faction actually make its players stupid?
>>
>>47480865
I see people say this all the time about dark vengeance. You won't make the conversion look good. It might be easy to turn the sword to tear maybe, but not this early into your modelling.

You are filled with hopes and dreams that are unreasonable and are built on naivete regarding the difficulty of this whole thing.

God speed but save converting for when you get more skilled in hobby aspects.
>>
>>47486640
Too flimsy I meant because if you so much as breathe, you lose the bonuses. I like to play in urban maps, so mobility and line of sight is the key to success.

If I lose the bonuses by using them how I like them, it's redundant.
>>
>>47486437
that makes no sense to me, so the huge blast that can obliterate 10 infantry dudes can only deal 1 damage to a vehicle?
>>
>>47486753
Strictly speaking, any gun has to have a high strength and a low AP to peirce armour and get a good result on the vehicle damage table. The better the hit (blasts included), the higher the chance to get an Explodes! result.
>>
>>47486753

Makes more sense than a Monstrous Creature or a mere Infantry Hero with more than 1hp.
>>
>>47486753
You want penetration for vehicles, not a diffused explosion. That being said, quite a few blasts are still pretty effective at doing damage.
>>
File: 99120102041_LordofSkulls01.jpg (70 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99120102041_LordofSkulls01.jpg
70 KB, 600x620
>>47480711

Half of the new models look like they were designed by retarded teenagers so I think its fair game
>>
>>47486753
It's one explosion. How is it going to hit the vehicle multiple times?
>>
Are there any fortifications worth taking for a infantry heavy IG force above 1500 points?
>>
>>47486555
There's another one for that: Counterstrike Cadre (same books). 3 FWs, 1 Pathfinder, all need to grab a Devilfish. First turn (or when arriving from reserves), Devilfishes are Fast.

>>47486621
Indeed. I can't wait for IA14 and Tetra formations!
>>
>>47486682
You're tau, why are you the one moving?
>>
for tau, if an IC joins another unit that has drone controller, can the drones use the BS of the person with the drone controller?
>>
A) 2x3 Sniper Drones at opposite ends of the deployment zone for interlocking fields of fire?
OR
B) 1x6 Sniper drone with a single Marksman out somewhere visible as bait and I attach my Commander with a DC when he bites it, giving me supermobile long-range support unit?
>>
>>47487240
Yep.
>>47487243
The Firesight will hinder the movement of the second option, unless you want to JSJ behind some cover. Also, I think an Ethereal would benefit Sniper Drones more.
>>
>>47487229
Because I like it. I love the whole sneaky/ambush/slippery schtick and Tau suits me best for it.

Gunline is fucking boring, but I incorporated my Strike teams into my bait tactics (even attached a Fireblade for extra chum in the water). If the intended bait isn't a threat, it is not bait at all.
>>
>>47487269
the idea is that option A is using them as slow backfield support and Option B is purposefully getting the marksman killed so they can join a jetpack unit to move and JSJ like mad every turn.
>>
>>47487279
>likes moving around
>Fireblade

Why not an Ethereal? 10p cheaper and 1VP is the best bait ever
>>
>>47487293
You devil.
In that case, I think B is better. 2x3 won't do much and Sky Rays are a better use for Heavy Support slots
>>
>>47487294
I honestly don't like the Ethereal much. I like the Fireblade's salt of the earth, no glory just efficiency aesthetic. I prefer dudes who lead by example. Plus I love the extra full range firepower the Fireblade gives, it makes the wall of pulse shots sting like mad. Plus the majority of my army is in reserves so really they have no choice lel.
>>
>>47487312
Yeah I figured. I might try both as option B seems more min-maxy and I play casual. I don't want to be That Guy. lus I don't field any other HS. I don't field many suits at all and no vehicles.

The biggest issue with the Tau is that the more you rely on suits, the less strategy and thinking you need. They're honestly too powerful for my liking. I use 1 Ghostkeel and I don't use the formation, it takes the fun out of it.
>>
>>47487339
>I honestly don't like the Ethereal much

its an extremely weak unit that needs babysitting to be useful, but granting FNP to everyone near you and making your army the fucking bravest army in the entire game is pretty good

if you shell out another 50/100 points for them then you get aun'va or the council

aun'va invokes 2 powers instead of 1 and is immune to AP1 weaponry while getting extra saves vs any AP weaponry

the council invokes all 4 powers and doubles the range of the aura
>>
>>47487386
While that does sound delicious, my army is mostly outflankers and mobile, so I guarantee I will only ever have 2-3 MSU Strike teams in range. Definitely not enough to warrant the Pope..
>>
What's the best source of Markerlights for mechanised Tau? I'm thinking of teams of 5/6 in Devilfish + Team of Crisis + Hammerhead. Riptides used as artillery in larger games.
>>
>>47487415
yeah if you have any breachers or deepstrikers then the only decent ethereal is aun'shi for his re-rollable saves

outside of letting them come to you and rolling 500 dice in overwatch, then you will always be better served with darkstrider or the commander
>>
>>47487442
Yeah that's what I figured. I'm using both, actually. I run 2 CADs, Commander/Shadowsun/Darkstrider/Fireblade. I just fucking love the synergy too much.
>>
>>47487386
Aun'Va can't join other units and the council is a pool of VPs for the enemy. I believe it's a trap formation.

>>47487437
Tetras. The Drone Net VX1-0 can be another one too, but not that thematic
>>
>>47487437
commander with drone controller and the re-roll to hit signature system, attach to a squad of markerlight drones to get as many BS5 marker drones as you need
>>
>want to play Siege Assault Vanguards
>remember the Siege Objective gimmick

what were they thinking
>>
>>47487470
yeah aun'va cant join others because of his bodyguard, but he pretty tanky on his own thanks to built in ablative wounds and the immortal shield

>>47487467
I'm toying with a darkstrider/fireblade pathfinder team, 2 ion rifles and 10 carbines, plus 6 gun drones

add the grav inhib drone and pulse accelerator drone, you have 48 pinning shots and 2 anti armor guns, you reduce assault range and you can move 6" after firing overwatch
>>
>>47487516
That does sound pretty damn sweet but quite squishy considering most of your range is 18". You could add Shadowsun to the mix like how I was contemplating. She's got 18" range on 2 more AT guns too and you get Stealth, Shrouded and Infiltrate/Outflank to boot for everyone. Would be pretty amusing.
>>
>>47487558
> most of your range is 18"

its 24" for carbines, the pulse accelerator drone adds 6" to all carbines, including the HQ and drones (but not the ion rifles)
>>
>>47487558
Also I'm thinking of how can I use Shadowsun to Outflank even more units. I could potentially attach both her and my Commander to the 1x6 Sniper team and then split them after.

I would start the battle with 3x5 Strikes and a 9-man Strike team with Fireblade and a Ghostkeel. Over the course of the game I'd have a Commander, Shadowsun, 6-man Snipers, 5-man PF spotters, 4-man Rail Rifle PFs with Darkstrider, 2x3 Stealthsuits and a Remora flyer coming in more or less when and where I want them too.

It doesn't matter if I come in via the less ideal table edge cause they're all either long range or highly mobile so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>47487563
Ah bollocks, my bad. that does sound better but I still think it's too squishy. Either way, I'd try it!
>>
File: Whining.jpg (51 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Whining.jpg
51 KB, 250x250
>>47477477
>silly apron
>and opera cape
>on space armour

Check ...
>>
>>47478917
>posed one-handing a firearm
>bigger than the firer's torso
>and head combined

Why do sculptors do this?
>>
File: IDTTMWYTIM.jpg (65 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
IDTTMWYTIM.jpg
65 KB, 250x250
>>47479788
>plastic walker
>attached sprue spall
>unscraped mould lines
>unaddressed misalignments
>yolo
>>
File: Carnage.jpg (747 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Carnage.jpg
747 KB, 1920x1080
>>47480421
>bionic eyes
>painted all googly
>singing her psalms
>mouth painted like toothless suckhole

The model's okay, the painter should be cunt punted. Stay mad, though, bruh.
>>
>>47480752
>blocky and misshapen

Citadel has never made scale models for 40k. They're all deliberately distorted via "heroic proportions" to enhance recognisability across a 4-8ft board. Don't worry, you /d/viants can just keep making your hot glue gifs with Infinity models.
>>
>>47482466
>>47482479
>>47482484
>>47482527
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Daemonculaba
Enjoy your nightmares.
>>
>>47477477
Does anyone know if the rules on this guy has been put out yet?
>>
>>47487609
Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I decided to stay with my marker drones for now (but I'll magnetise them just in case).

Commander, Shadowsun and 6 marker outflanking, give the guy 2 Cyclic Ion Blasters and everybody gets Stealth, Shrouded and 3d6 JSJ. I'm loving the sound of this.

Why don't more people play funtau instead of "I brought the latest battlesuits, can I have muh trophy?"
>>
>>47485364

I have had a few really fun games with it, but it's over either way by turn two.
>>
>>47487916
> and 3d6 JSJ.

are markerlight drones still heavy 1?

according to my battlescribe they are
>>
>>47487916
- people play in very competitive metas, so no fun allowed
- people like battlesuits and they can be fun
- people like safer playstyles
- people play the same way everytime (eternal war, terrain that never changes), so they get used it
- people are dicks
>>47487939
yep, but they have relentless
>>
File: kroot.jpg (327 KB, 700x1078) Image search: [Google]
kroot.jpg
327 KB, 700x1078
>>47486194
>didn't force me to take mandatory Fire Warriors
sneaky beaky Kroot bro
>>
File: Breaking.jpg (92 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Breaking.jpg
92 KB, 250x250
>>47480926
>GW is a big company with lots of lawyers

This is obvious bait. GW is a stupid, scummy little company, but they now know that gaming pieces cannot be trademarked in the UK after having their bush-league "lawyers" punked by ChapterHouse. So, while they can't legally challenge the Russians for selling Space Nuns or Sisters, nor can they themselves be challenged for continuing to sell "Adepts Sororitas."

Some anons consider SoB armies "unsupported" but, newsflash /tg/:

If you hadn't already guessed by the inanity of AoS, Games Workshop is no longer a game company. Do try to keep up.
>>
File: Corvy.jpg (39 KB, 397x431) Image search: [Google]
Corvy.jpg
39 KB, 397x431
:c

What a hell of a way to die.
>>
>>47487954
who is giving them relentless? I've seen some talk about jump pack infantry giving thier drones relentless but i cant find it in the codex
>>
>>47487995
because they're JET pack infantry, not jump pack.

Vespids are the only jump pack unit in the tau army
>>
>>47488006
ok sure but i still cant find anything about it in the codex, mind pointing me in the right direction?
>>
>>47487995

All Jetpack (not jump) infantry have relentless.
>>
>>47488026
This kind of explanation is in the Rulebook, unit types.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.