[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 16
File: 1415349817319.png (767 KB, 469x609) Image search: [Google]
1415349817319.png
767 KB, 469x609
What is a characteristic food in your games?

WHat is soemthing thematic you can cook for a medieval LARP? I'm probably going to be a cook in a GoT LARP and wanted soemthing easy to cook to give the players.
>>
>>47468894
For snacks, make some hardtack. Maybe throw in some sugar and cinnamon, though that wouldn't be as "thematic". You could also / instead make some sweet biscuits.

For drinks, you could serve water, beer or cider. You could also buy some non-alcoholic imitation alcohol for non-drinkers.

For the meal, I would serve a meat-and-vegetable stew. This might be any usual culinary meat except chicken, since I don't really like chicken stews. If I could get it, I would use wild boar or venison but pork or beef would also be fine.

I'd serve the stew with some good-quality rye, sourdough or wholemeal bread and a block of butter. If you can get dripping, then you could also supply that.

For desert, I'd suggest an apple pie, maybe spiced with cloves or cinnamon. If you can get sharp fruit like blackberries, then put those in the pie as well. Serve it with cream.
>>
>>47469278
Thanks.

What about the meatbread so pubblicized on 1d4chan?
>>
File: pirozhki-s-myasom.jpg (19 KB, 400x314) Image search: [Google]
pirozhki-s-myasom.jpg
19 KB, 400x314
>>47470024

4chan does not know how to cook, but there are plenty of ways to put meat in bread from proper traditional cuisine. Like Russian piroshki, for instance.
>>
File: Food in Medieval Times.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Food in Medieval Times.pdf
1 B, 486x500
have some books.

First off a bit on the academic side:
>>
File: Getty-kings_feast_recipe_pack.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Getty-kings_feast_recipe_pack.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47470179
Next up, some actual recipes, these from the Getty Institute:

"The King’s Table: Recipes for a Medieval Feast"

 A Medieval Coat of Arms Salad
 Marinated Leeks in Mustard Vinaigrette
 Spinach and Fava Bean Soup
 Grilled Fish Fillets with Yellow Sauce (Poivre Jaunet)
 French Country Sausage (Saucisse a Cuire)
 Rissoles
 Spiced Quince Butter Cake
 Spiced Honey Nut Crunch (Nucato)
 Spiced Red Wine (Hippocras)
>>
File: historical-recipes.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
historical-recipes.pdf
1 B, 486x500
and a whole shit-tonne of recipes, islamic, european, medieval, etc.
Have fun, plenty ranging from simple to complex here.

the "moorish chicken" (which is not remotely Moorish given it includes bacon) on page 79 is particularly good.
>>
>>47470280
>>47470218
>>47470179

Good man! Got any more?
>>
File: cdi1980-33.jpg (3 MB, 2625x1991) Image search: [Google]
cdi1980-33.jpg
3 MB, 2625x1991
Other suggestions I'll make.

Marzipan "Sweetmeats". Take white marzipan, dye it with colourings, (Hint: wear rubber/latex gloves if you dont want your fingers to be coloured too!) and shape them into objects. Things like miniature apples and fruits were commonplace. if you're creative, make things like hams, slices of bacon, or whole chickens, with painting to get the crispy roast skin look. Present them on the table as "subtleties" to be picked up. Ideally with a long fork like this...

Note, before I forget a lot of medieval stuff has almonds in it. check your group's safety with nut allergies with the whole group before you do anything like this, especially if you're making marzipan objects that look like fruits etc, in case anyone with allergies goes "I cant eat the pottage, but those strawberries will be fine...."
>>
>>47468894
This guy's channel might help you out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fE5KzvOZRk
>>
File: oygevalt.png (278 KB, 677x505) Image search: [Google]
oygevalt.png
278 KB, 677x505
>>47470362
>>
>>47468894
imagine being look at computers everywhere you so fat that and see food
>>
File: ROAST LAMB.jpg (54 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
ROAST LAMB.jpg
54 KB, 500x333
>>47470294

http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/goderec.htm

is a good site. or should that be a gode site, with a load of different recipes.

Many pies are very good as you can make them beforehand, and serve cold - a lot are quite heavy, solid food so can be sliced into quarter/eighths, etc.

Same goes for cold meats. A roast lamb, cooked on the bone, prepared by stabbing it with a small cooking knife and inserting garlic cloves into the little incisions, and roast with whole rosemary sprigs over the entire thing will be fantastic. the trick is to remove it from the roasting tray while hot, and to let it drip, so that as much of the fatty and greasiness is removed while hot. You're left over with a really nice cold meat that will cut easily with a large knife around the bone (hint, start at the narrow end of the bone, not the large end!) and has a lot of flavour to it - rosemary really works with lamb, and the cloves will infuse the entire thing as it roasts. Most importantly, all this can be done the night before the event, and store in a cold-box for travel to the event.

you can also marinade the lamb in wine or ale.
>>
File: bread.jpg (43 KB, 564x423) Image search: [Google]
bread.jpg
43 KB, 564x423
wines are an obvious source of flavouring - casseroles with red wine sauces and the likes. Best of all that doesnt need good wine.

if you can, go shopping around and try to find a load of nice interesting-shaped bottles to decant wines into right before its laid out - helps to remove the modern-day trappings, and keep the immersion going. If you cant do that, then soak the bottle beforehand, and peel the labels off, so its not so clearly modern made stuff.

Likewise, if you can find it, get a bottle of mead. Moniack Mead is fantastic.

If its late night, end-of-game, and you're so inclined, cheapish whiskey, and mead makes a lethally good combo. the whiskey takes some of the sweetness out the mead, so its not sickly, the mead takes the bitterness out the whiskey, so its easily drunk. Which you will to, because you quickly forget how much you've had of that stuff...

Also, get round bread loaves like this - look great - almost exactly how they used to do bread, and good stuff to put food onto. white or wholegrain work. use it to mop up trenchers and plates.
>>
>>47470446
> Imagine being look at computers everywhere you so fat that and see food

Wut
>>
An ancient recipe translated by from Cuneiform by Yale scholars: Pigeon with herbs.

Ingredients:
2 Cornish game hens, cleaned and salted inside and out
4 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup pomegranate vinegar
3 tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon asafetida
2 teaspoons dried mint
2 tablespoons coriander seed
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large Sri Lankan cinnamon stick
1 handful baby arugula, chopped
½ yellow onion
1 leek, white and green parts, well cleaned
6-7 garlic cloves, peeled
½ cup lightly drained yogurt
3 handfuls of fresh mint leaves
1 handful of fresh sage
4 garlic cloves, peeled
Water to moisten herbs
More pomegranate vinegar to rinse hens
1-3 teaspoons semolina, to thicken sauce

continued...
>>
ctd:

Method
Clean and dry fowl and salt liberally, inside and out.
Prepare water, stock and vinegar in a pan large enough to hold the hens. Add butter, asafetida, mint, arugula, coriander, cumin seeds and cinnamon, and heat over a high flame, stirring occasionally. When the water boils, add the hens and return to a boil. Reduce heat a bit and cook uncovered over medium-heat for five minutes. Then reduce heat till stock just bubbles. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or so.

Chop and pules the onion, leek, garlic and lightly drained yogurt until small diced or minced. Be careful not to blend until pasty, some shape and texture of vegetable is desired. When done, add to the water and chickens and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes – do not overcook. Total cooking time for hens in the pot is 15-20 minutes.

When done, remove birds from the pot and cool until able to handle.
>>
File: Roasted-Chicken-mesopotamian.jpg (88 KB, 371x547) Image search: [Google]
Roasted-Chicken-mesopotamian.jpg
88 KB, 371x547
>>47470675

Preheat broiler to highest heat, for grilling hens later. While cooling the hens, take the stock you used to cook the hens and pour it into a clean saucepan. If you are using a cup or two of stock to make couscous, barley or some ground to enjoy with the recipe, do so now and pour off about one-third to one-half of the stock that remains. Heat to a steady low boil, stirring constantly and cook uncovered to reduce, stirring occasionally.

Pulse the mint and sage (or other herbs you choose) a few times in the food processor until nicely minced and add a teaspoon or so of water to moisten them. Divide hens in two, down the spine, by slicing with a large, sharp knife or cleaver. Pour pomegranate vinegar over the hens, inside and out to wash away herbs from cooking and set aside.
Rub both sides of the hens with the mint and sage herb mixture until an even coating is achieved and set aside. Continue to cook stock until it starts to thicken. Add semolina to facilitate this process, stir until dissolved.
Place rib side down on a lightly sprayed baking sheet. Cook under the preheated broiler flame about 4-5 minutes per side. Watch constantly and be careful not to burn the hens. Turn baking sheet as necessary to ensure even cooking. When done, remove from heat and let rest 5-10 minutes while finishing the sauce.

If desired, strain the sauce, and serve.
>>
>>47470632
>Wut

has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
>>
File: 1447801094170.jpg (56 KB, 926x960) Image search: [Google]
1447801094170.jpg
56 KB, 926x960
>>47470446
dude ... what
>>
File: mesopotamian pigeon with herbs.jpg (281 KB, 975x1018) Image search: [Google]
mesopotamian pigeon with herbs.jpg
281 KB, 975x1018
>>47470694
Here, have all that as a screencap.
>>
File: Honey-cake.jpg (44 KB, 440x400) Image search: [Google]
Honey-cake.jpg
44 KB, 440x400
>>47470858
thanks. I'll edit out the name bits later too.

meanwhile:
Elizabethan honey cake:
from National Trust, UK. Moseley Old Hall,

Ingredients:

6oz butter or margarine,
6oz caster sugar,
60z self-raising flour,
1 teaspoon baking powder,
1 tablespoon of clear honey,
3 eggs,
almond essence,
lemon icing (optional).

Method:

Cream the butter and sugar together. Slowly add the eggs and a small amount of the flour. Add the honey, baking powder and a few drops of almond essence. Fold in the rest of the flour. Spoon into a 6 inch cake tin lined with greaseproof paper. Cook in a moderate oven (190 degrees/gas mark 5) for about 35 minutes. Test with a fine skewer to see if it comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack and if you wish, top with lemon icing when quite cold.
>>
File: 1439096824300.jpg (148 KB, 800x619) Image search: [Google]
1439096824300.jpg
148 KB, 800x619
>>47470632
>>47470807
>>
File: 1385435160704.png (169 KB, 646x938) Image search: [Google]
1385435160704.png
169 KB, 646x938
Posting for Keks
>>
>>47470985
I'm afraid to ask - are those brownies so awful, or did that guy mixed them with spoiled milk or something ?
>>
File: brown deluge.jpg (333 KB, 1000x730) Image search: [Google]
brown deluge.jpg
333 KB, 1000x730
>>47471362
Probably just sugar free. Some people's intestines react in amusing ways to large amounts of something-tol sweeteners.

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/product-reviews/B008JELLCA
>>
>>47470742
Back when the question first came up the answer was no, but lately I'd say yes.
>>
>>47468894
Soylent.
>>
Make menudo or ox tail soup.
>>
>>47470985
Did the recipe ever get posted?
>>
>>47472508
It did not, there was speculation that it used chocolate protean powder, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>47473684
>protean powder
Desiccated Gangrel, anyone?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.