[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you get into /traditional gaming/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1455151644639.jpg (23 KB, 286x308) Image search: [Google]
1455151644639.jpg
23 KB, 286x308
How did you get into /traditional gaming/?
>>
I was on fourth or fifth grade back when LotR movies were stil kinda new thing. Decided that the minis were so cool I had to have some. Learned a bit later that there was a set of rules and started playing with friends who were also into it
>>
>>47466870
A girl in my class liked to play D&D. She would regularly invite me and I'd chicken out because I couldn't imagine people might actually want me around for something.

A few years after losing contact with her, I got curious and started reading up. Today I still sometimes kick myself for not having taken those invitations.
>>
>>47466870
Was working as a stagehand and when you get home at 3AM you can't exactly do much hobbywise. Since I couldn't really play guitar or videogames with other people around I picked up 40k to build and paint models since that's nice and quiet and won't wake people up.

It also helped because at work most of us were just music guys or metalheads. Getting into 40k gave me an outlet for my nerdier side since I wasn't in school anymore and most of them had moved away.

I've stuck with it because the jobs I do now still tend to be pretty physical or outdoorsy so I don't usually have anyone to talk nerd stuff with. Its nice to be somewhere where I can just chill out and just shoot the shit about whatever. I don't play 40k anymore but I have plenty of other stuff to play so its all good.
>>
>>47466870
Pretty much as is in your pic.
>>
>>47466870
In the middle of a fucking forest by a monastery on a cub scout trip.
It was an OD&D Voltron ripoff.
>>
I learned the secret handshake by mistake and wound up in this strange new world of traditional gaming.
>>
>>47466870

Seat-of-the-pants sort-of Basic D&D in grade school back in '83. Drifted in and out of the hobby ever since.
>>
>>47467751
Jesus Grandpa, what are you doing on 4chan?
>>
Videogames.
>>
>>47467998

Usually browsing the OSR thread, and telling you kids to get off my lawn.
>>
I wanted to boss over my little brother, who got into it first.
>>
Funnily enough, /tg/. I played lots of RPG vidya already but then I started browsing 4chan just /hm/ at first and I clicked on tg on a whim and never looked back
>>
Never have. Always been interested in it though
>>
File: 2727451_orig.jpg (344 KB, 1100x672) Image search: [Google]
2727451_orig.jpg
344 KB, 1100x672
>>47466870
read my Dad's 1e books as a kid, then tried a game of 3.5 with my youngest uncle. It was a horrible experience and I almost quit the hobby. Then I ran a game of 1e for some bored friends and got hooked. Other than a couple of games of Pathfinder I have not played anything newer than 2e in years.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.