[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: 1460489373383.png (576 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1460489373383.png
576 KB, 1024x576
>Previous Thread: >>47442701

>Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/PPptBB5u

>Latest News
http://theonyxpath.com/something-something-pun-about-may-monday-meeting-notes/

The Pack is here!

>richfags
http://drivethrurpg.com/product/181760?affiliate_id=13&src=TheOnyxPath

>poorfags
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/%5BWtF%5DThe_Pack.PDF

>Question
Where and when is your most recent game set?
>>
So what kind of antagonistic groups have you guys MADE for you games?
>>
>>47460212
I don't get the gay werewolf obsession, but man, I want a gay werewolf body. The gym is not paying off for my chubby white ass fast enough.
>>
>>47460357

Have you tried getting spooked hard enough by gay werewolves to achieve this?
>>
>>47460372
>fatwhiteboyscaredbygroupofhairymusclemen.mov
>>
I feel like you're making these threads a little early. Probably just so you can get the fagness in.

>>47459864
A modern fictional city that might or might not be Gotham.
>>
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/mage-the-awakening/898895-2e-theorycrafting-fate-stay-night-nasuverse-spells-legacies
>>
>>47460712
What is Nasuverse? And do so many people want it to crossover with WOD?
>>
>>47460786
weebo wizard fights with mythological beings mostly in the form of pretty young girls
>>
>>47460786
It's a very large and detailed urban fantasy setting originally featured in a series of loosely connected visual novels that eventually branched out into a variety of supplementary works like fighting games and anime.
Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, Garden of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai), etcetera.

>>47460854
That's only Fate/Stay, and most of them aren't even young girls, though every fan work or spin-off *has* to have some historical figure as a woman (only one that made sense was DaVinci)
>>
>>47460786

Weaboo shit
>>
>>47460962
>That's only Fate/Stay
i never hear anyone referring to anything but Fate and its spinoffs when they talk about the nasuverve, especially in the wod / exalted threads.
>>
>>47461030
The other ones have supernatural shits but not mythological creatures. Vampires and shit. It's Street Fighter with boring males and boring but slutty females.
>>
>>47461030
I've seen some people talk about Dead Apostles, which I *think* is how Tsukihime does vampires?

>>47461051
Fate/Zero was really good, and I hear Garden of Sinners is good.
>>
>>47461080
Dead apostate are their vampires.
>>
>>47460372
>gay werewolves spooking other gay werewolves into undergoing the First Change
>all the gay wolfblooded have Tells related to ridiculous physiques
>gay werewolf pack has to uphold the vows of the Sacred Hunt(y)
>>
>>47462627

It's amazing how you guys make vampire seem straight
>>
>>47462675
The weird thing is they don't even play werewolf, or know much about it. It's just the idea of gay werewolves that appeals.
>>
>>47463254
I've played Werewolf
I don't shitpost about gay werewolves very much, though
I'm still a fan of the concept
>>
>>47463254
That's not true, I've played it several times. Gay werewolves have their own separate appeal on top of the appeal of the game.
>>
http://theonyxpath.com/prometheantransmutations/
>>
>>47463254
I play Werewolf and i LOVE gay werewolves though the current campaign's only got two bisexual werewolves in it, and only one of them's a guy.

though luna's embrace kinda erases that distinction >:^)
>>
>>47463493
Reading the Roles feels like Prometheans are going to be even more autist robots with mood swings. I'm not against this.

I do like that the powers are basically auto gained and you change them out. I like how they're handled.
>>
>>47464145
>Prometheans don’t have much in the way of mental manipulation powers, and what they do have should center on Disquiet. A lot of the Mesmerism Transmutations can get rethought;
>I don’t want Prometheans to have mind control in any fine-control way. The best they can do is get someone to take brief, understandable and in-character action. >Ignore you and leave you alone? Sure. Show a momentary act of kindness? Probably. Post-hypnotic suggestion? No.
guy is wishy washy as fuck
i'd say it doesn't look good but old promethean was good ideas wrapped in shit too so at least its consistent
>>
>>47463493
Aspel Read This. Take some ideas fron this and combine it with what you have for Geist. It runs very well with your idea of a power having a base no cost benefit.
>>
>>47464574
What about was wishy washy as fuck.

He sain not not much not zero.
>>
>>47464618
he said not so much and not in a fine control way then established basically every part of dominate except one

since he's lying he might as well just promise it will be everything everyone could want
>>
>>47463254
I'm a vampaboo or something... Just completely obsessed. Werewolves never appealed to me but gay werewolves do for some reason. I would totally read long novels or manga where a female author eroticizes gay werewolves for female readers.
>>
>>47464145

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Alembic described was APTARE and its 4 Distillations.

so a Promethean at start has access to two Alembic's; one from each Transmutation.

8 powers, 2 of them free passives.

Master a role and you get an additional Alembic for while your in that Refinement.

Calcify and you get to keep an Alembic, Refinement doesn't matter. This should be super expensive.

Is this right?

Lots of powers that change when your forced to change yourself sounds really handy. Going into an 'old rut' role would be a massive power boost as you could double or triple the number of powers another role would have access to. Calcifying adds permanency which is good. Changing refinements could force team changes, if everyone suddenly has the same power set, someone needs to change to keep the team balanced.
>>
>>47464647
No he didn't.
>>
>>47464647
It sounds closer to nightmares from beast then dominate.
>>
Alright so I don't have Beast yet being a poorfag, so I really have no idea if this NPC/antagonist is feasible but it sounded cool.

General idea is some dude in a maximum security prison entered as a Beast or became one during his stay. An Anakim Tyrant, he has fought his way to the top of one of the prison gangs and now controls much of the internal life of the prison. He's fought enough heroes by this point to be quite skilled in making it clear he's always defending himself or at least hiding the evidence. Still, the inexplicably high number of deaths that occur in his presence has given him ample time in a solitary confinement cell at the base of the prison. He's spent enough time there that it has even become a site with easy access to his lair. At this point he has put down so many enemies in prison that he's on the brink of reaching the Apex, his name a synonym for power and fear and known to prisoners across the country.

Not really sure what I'd so with such a character but I really like the concept.
>>
>>47466777
>Alright so I don't have Beast yet being a poorfag
https://a.uguu.se/CPbIfHbf8zCj_BeastthePrimordial.pdf
>>
>>47466996

Thank you kind anon! Now I can actually try to stat this guy.
>>
>>47462627
AIAIAIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
>>
I'm really excited for new Scion, but know fuck all about it.

I know 2e seems to be wildly different than 1e, but what's the general gist of things? Waht do Scions do, exactly?
>>
>>47467905
Become a God, save reality? That all I know.
>>
>>47467916
>Become a God, save reality?

So...Exalted?
>>
>>47467927
>Exalted
>Save reality
Hahahaha
>>
>>47468079
HEY!

Destroying the world and remaking it in my (objectively perfect) image is still saving it.
>>
Instead of flat out creating essence out of nothing, which requires the pactice of making, and would create essence that would only dissipate back into nothingness when the spell ended, could a mage use the practice of patterning to replicate a spirit's ability to gorge themselves on resonant energies, congealing new essence, which they could then transfer to a recepticle or spirit?
>>
>>47468223
Theoretically, yeah. Giving yourself that ability would be Life 4 Spirit 4. It'd be less trouble to find a locus and just use Spirit 3 to channel the essence from that.
>>
>>47468277
Perhaps I phrased that wrong.
Less about giving him that ability, and more replicating the process.
Which would ostensibly be just Spirit 4.
>>
>>47467927
It was originally advertised a bit as Exalted Modern. But in Scion you're demigods, the children of deities from real mythology. Which is simultaneously more and less cool.

>>47467905
I don't know much about 2e, but I'm guessing the main thing in common is what I mentioned above. In 1e, you fought against titans who wanted to destroy the world or some shit, it's been years since I cared. There are two main mechanical conceits that will probably make it through in some way: epic attributes and purviews. Epic attributes are exponentially increasing numbers of dots in your attributes, but basically work as super strength and whatnot, and come with little perks that are more specific supernatural powers. Purviews, which I might or might not be remembering the name of correctly, are divine domains, like a specific animal, or air, or the sea or this or that. Each pantheon also had their own special one, so for example the aztec gods make sacrifices (generally of their own blood) for power. There were three stages to the game: scion, where you're a normal "hero" level demigod, "demigod", where you're a more powerful one on par with Hercules or Gilgamesh, and God, where you're a God.

The balance was bad at Scion level, terrible at Demigod level, and I never heard of anyone making it to God level.
>>
>>47468366
What is the best antagonist and why is it the Shartha?
>>
>>47468277
A locus will usually have guards, though.

I'm not really sure how common loci and hallows are meant to be. Mana/tass is mage money, wouldn't most Hallows be claimed by whoever could hold onto it?

Mage 2e says that Hallows are where most mages get their mana, but isn't it WAY easier to get it from Pattern-scouring and way more sensible?

Given these options:
1. Scour a physical stat, the magical equivalent of twisting your own arm. It heals in a day. Get three mana.
2. Scour health. It heals in two days. Get three mana.
3. Go find a Hallow. You're now in debt to whoever owns that Hallow. Get between 1 and 3 mana.

Unless you have the Hallow merit, who the fuck isn't using 1 or 2 whenever they need mana?
Also:
>Have dots in Life
>Scour self for 3 mana, hit your Strength
>Use 1 mana, if necessary, to cast a Life spell to boost your Strength by 1
>Come out at least 2 mana ahead

Problem, non-Lifehavers?
>>
>>47469595
between 1/5, daily. Not just daily, but 1/5 which can be collected and sold/traded/stored.
>>
>>47469595
Just join a legacy.
Legacy Oblations are a fantastic source of Mana.
>>
>>47469543
I like the versatility myself. One Shartha idea I had was Roach Hosts that feed on people killed by other Hosts, their gimmick is that they can "push" the part the Gauntlet ahead of themselves out of shape.
>>
>>47469679
That's actually a good point.

You can join a Legacy at Gnosis 2. 3 if you're making your own. Gnosis 2 or 3 is probably not that hard to reach.

So why are most Mages (by the book) getting mana from Hallows instead of just Legacy oblations? Much easier. Joining most Legacies has no downsides.
>>
>>47469744
You can get Mana from both a Legacy and a Hallow, meaning that's even more Mana you can use each day in your experiments.

However the biggest benefit of a Hallow, that no other source provides for you, is the generation of Tass when you don't harvest it. Easily traded, a great bribe, and fantastic for storing mana in excess of your maximum capacity.
>>
>>47468223

There is, in fact, literally an example spell to do exactly that. Spirit 2 or 3, I think.
>>
>>47469595
>Why don't most Mages literally stab themselves in the face? This seems sensible to me because it's the most mechanically proficient route and clearly I can't think of any reason why people wouldn't want to literally take damage just to have mana when there are an infinite number of ways that are less painful and potentially costly.
>>
>>47469595
>he isn't an Obrimos

I got 99 problems, but mana ain't one
>>
>>47469968
If you own your own Hallow, fine.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure that safely stabbing yourself is 100% preferable to being indebted to another mage.
>>
File: handoff.jpg (50 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
handoff.jpg
50 KB, 750x750
>Search results for Dark Eras: 0
Here's the hand-off, poorfags.

https://a.uguu.se/0zucuemdgDoB_HistoryIsWrittenByTheVictor.pdf
>>
>>47470057
Or convince a Master to create one for you.
Or rekindle a Sleeping one.
>>
>>47464681
From what I can tell, the werewolf smut fiction on the internet is less about gay wolves and more about muscular alpha males raping and impregnating women.
>>
>>47465535
Yeah but Beasts basically have Dominate. It's slightly weaker, but still a game winner in the ways that matter.
>>
>>47470272
There's an entire fanfiction subgenre dedicated to a setting for the show Supernatural where werewolf dynamics are that Alphas are big strong and powerful manly men (or shemales), Betas are normal or more or less normal, and Omegas are cock craving supersubs who can get impregnated even if they're men. A/B/O dynamics stories even spread outside of Supernatural fanfiction to become its own subgenre. There are even F-list profiles all about it.

tl;dr: Gay werewolves are more popular than you think.
http://fanlore.org/wiki/Alpha/Beta/Omega
Don't click that unless you want to go down a fucked up rabbit hole. Fetish fanfiction is some Lovecraftian shit, and I say this as someone on F-list
>>
>>47470463
>Don't click that unless you want to go down a fucked up rabbit hole.
I'll just take your word for it. Gay werewolves and weird mpreg Supernatural fanfics are lightyears outside my realm of interest.
>>
>>47470463
>>47470522
okay I looked out of morbid curiosity, found a link to something called the Tramp!Verse, looked it over, and immediately closed the tabs.

god damnit, supernatural fandom. you're so fucking weird.
>>
>>47470542
It's not just the Supernatural fandom that's weird. That's just the weirdness that's relevant to werewolves.
>>
File: yay.png (7 KB, 191x234) Image search: [Google]
yay.png
7 KB, 191x234
>Been trying to get Mage: the Ascension game started for months
>Slowly get players and characters all set up
>First session was last night
>Went great and now I need to gush

Started it at the wedding of a prominent Virtual Adept (who looks an awful lot like Steve Wozniak) and a Cult of Ecstasy painter (opening people's minds with her art). They're getting into their 60's and have been fighting the Ascension War for decades, but now realize its time to settle down and let the younger kids take over. The wedding is a fun party where Traditionalists can just relax and enjoy each other's company. There's a "rule" on the invitation about no "business talk" during the reception.

PC's are enjoying the reception and having fun trying to figure out who's a normie and who's a mage without actually asking outright (no business talk). However, one of them is a newly-defected Progenitor who got invited as a +1. The ex-Prog had no idea this was a Reality Deviant party, but he's breaking out of the Technocratic conditioning so decides to just enjoy the open bar and cake. The PC's eventually met Roger, a $yndicate advertiser who is also there as a +1. Roger recently got his first dot in Spirit kinda by accident while trying to tap into psychological archetypes for his next ad campaign. Now Roger is trying to make sense of the spirits/monsters he's seeing, especially at the Traditionalist wedding and is quietly freaking.

Some of the Traditionalists realize that the ex-Prog and Roger are Technocrats, but they don't want to ruin everyone's good time so they get ready to attack after the party. The players don't seem to understand the depths of hatred between the Technocracy and the Traditions, but they think Roger is cool. PC's find out Roger is in danger so they want to ask Roger why. Roger finally realizes he's in danger and bolts for his car. The PC's follow out to the parking lot as Roger leaves without his date and the angry Traditionalists are heading out as well.
>>
File: 1438929189852.jpg (157 KB, 700x892) Image search: [Google]
1438929189852.jpg
157 KB, 700x892
>>47472300
Next session will likely start with a chase scene, with Roger fleeing the wedding, the PC's chasing Roger to find wtf is going on, and the Traditionalists chasing both to kill Roger and the ex-Prog.

Provided Roger survives, I plan on making him the primary antagonist as he realizes he can use Dimensional Science (Technocracy version of Spirit magic) to enhance his advertisements. Roger would bind the spirits with copyrights and enslave them to help sell the Technocratic way of life. In Roger's mind this is perfectly fine because spirits aren't human. To him its like using a horse to plow a field.

Of course, the Dreamspeaker in the party will object to this, so it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I'm so pumped! Nice to finally GM again after ~4 months of no dice rolling.
>>
>>47472389
This is why traditions suck - kill awaken one just because he put to work creatures that never worked in the first place.
>>
File: 5763428843_ce57f1f3a9.jpg (32 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
5763428843_ce57f1f3a9.jpg
32 KB, 250x272
>>47472300
>Mage: the Ascension
>>
>>47473679
>>47474122
Information: You are going to die.
>>
>>47472300
>playing Mage: the Ascension

You okay bro? Suffered some trauma to the head recently?
>>
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/858523-cults-for-everyone/page4
>>
>>47475644
I'm not really thrilled by it. Sure, I like the idea of every supernatural template having some kind of cult, I figured they would anyway. Really though I figure they need to be more personal to the player or NPC running said cult rather than just trying to make everything uniform like this.
>>
>>47472300
>>47472389

Sounds like a good session! I hope the rest of the campaign goes well!
>>
>>47476095
>campaign
This isn't D&D.
>>
>>47476149
Neither is the presidential race, nor advertisement drives. Your point?
>>
>>47476149
>campaign is a term entirely exclusive to D&D
>>
>>47476149

Campaign's a generic term for a series of sessions played over a period of time. Just because the books call it a "Chronicle" doesn't mean you can't use "campaign".
>>
How nested are spirits?

If I'm in a forest there'd be a forest spirit. Would each individual tree have it's own spirit? Do the individual cells of the tree have their own spirits? If I focus enough could I in theory speak to the spirits of Carbon, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Oxygen that makes up the cells of the tree?
>>
>>47476387
Most trees will be little more than props. An occasional important tree will have it's own spirit. A different spirit can represent an entire group of trees, feeding off essence that they generate and preventing other Spirits from forming. The proportions between different types of spirits will vary between places.
You won't see spirits of separate compounds, because only the tree that they form is "important" and likely to have a Spirit. However, places where such compounds exist in a raw state might be inhabited by substance Spirits. Note that you'll sooner meet coal spirit or medical carbon spirit that a spirit of Carbon compound.
>>
>>47476387
>Would each individual tree have it's own spirit?
In theory, but unless it was a particularly important tree, its "spirit" would just be a slightly tree-flavored collection of essence, not even enough to count as anything more than a piece of terrain.

>Do the individual cells of the tree have their own spirits?
See above, but even moreso, since it'd just get subsumed into the essence of the tree which has a much stronger resonance.

>If I focus enough could I in theory speak to the spirits of Carbon, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Oxygen that makes up the cells of the tree?
See above, to an even greater degree.

For all intents and purposes, a tree only radiates "Tree-ness" essence. A carbon spirit or whatever might theoretically be able to rip carbon-flavored essence from it, but it'd be like straining sand out of a vat of ground beef, and he's better off huffing on smokestacks or the end results of brush fires.
>>
>>47476387
Try not to get to granular with this, spirits are more abstract than that. If you see a 'tree spirit' odds are it's the most tree-y spirit in the area and has consumed or enslaved all lesser tree and tree associated spirits in his immediate vicinity.
>>
>>47476387
>Would each individual tree have it's own spirit?
In theory, the Shadow side of the forest would be filled with tree spirits, but whether or not they correspond 1-to-1 with trees in the real forest is going to depend on how familiar the general population is with the forest. Most forests aren't going to match up 1-to-1, though they'll be pretty close.
>Do the individual cells of the tree have their own spirits?
No. If this were Exalted, maybe; they had Least Gods in 2e, which were the spirit residing in every object that basically just made sure it remained that object. They're single-minded enough, though, that they wouldn't even have a Rank in CofD; they're equivalent to motes, at most.
>>
>>47476387
There'd be a powerful forest spirit and a bunch of smaller tree/grass/bush/vegetatian/decay/animal/insect spirits shitting around and offering up essence to the forest spirit for protection.
>>
File: order of hermes forces.jpg (890 KB, 864x1296) Image search: [Google]
order of hermes forces.jpg
890 KB, 864x1296
>>47473679
Sorry, I should clarify: the Traditionalists at the wedding who are getting ready to attack Roger and the ex-Prog have been fighting the Ascension War for years. They're worried that these Technocrats are spies and a team of HIT-Marks and Black Suits are poised to strike once the word is given. The wedding is a marriage of two strong mages and there are a bunch of Tradition members there who have had more than a bit to drink. If the Technocracy struck it would be a disaster for the mages. If the Technocracy used this as an opportunity to start surveillance on all the mages that could potentially be worse. They're looking out for their people from an enemy that showed up at their friend's wedding.

>>47474374
I know the mechanics have problems, but I adore the setting. I left behind a lot of the SJW bullshit M20 introduced, but the setting as a whole really appeals to me.
>>
>>47477277
>I adore the setting

That's why I'm asking, are you okay?
>>
File: ib2sqoengvbjyp.gif (4 MB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
ib2sqoengvbjyp.gif
4 MB, 512x288
So, regarding Mage 2e, can someone clarify if sympathy can only be used if you have Space or Time?

Also, how can I shoot around corners? And shoot a bullet through a phone?
>>
>>47477335
Shooting around corners seems like it could be accomplished a number of different ways, but the obvious ones are Space and Fate. Bullet through phone is almost certainly Matter + Forces.
>>
>>47477335
As I understand it temporal sympathy and spacial sympathy are now attainments you get for having two dots in either space or time.
>>
>>47477335
Spacial sympathy is Space.
Temporal sympathy is Time.

You can use either Forces or Space to shoot around corners, but unless you have a sensory view of your target, then you're going to be using Spacial Sympathy.

If you want to shoot a bullet through a phone line, that's Sympathy, and either Space 3 or 4, depending on if you want to create a "Portal" through which you can repeatedly fire, but people with the know-how can fire back through or Space 4 in which case you're teleporting merely a few bullets once they're fired.
>>
>>47477328

If we're going to start judging people for their taste in game settings, pretty much everyone on /tg/ is going to have something to answer for.
>>
Will Signs of Sorcery have information on stuff like magical alchemy?

I want to play a Moros that makes a living hustling potions to the supernatural community.
>>
>>47477335
If you mean Sympathetic Yantras for the dice bonuses, you can use those without using Space or Time. You have to be within, at most, sensory range, however; an paraphased example Dave once gave is tearing a photo in half to cast a Fraying spell on the subject. Without Spatial Sympathy, you'd have to do this while also looking at them.
Shooting around a corner, as in curving the bullet, is possible with Space 4 or Forces 3, going off the book(It could probably be done with Space 3, desu, but the book puts Alter Direction at 4 for some reason.)

Shooting a bullet through a phone would be easiest with a spell like Co-Location(Space 3).
>>
>>47477652
Almost certainly.
What I can only assume is its 1e equivalent, Tome of the Mysteries, had them.
>>
File: wanted.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
wanted.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>47477534
How would you use Fate to do it?

>>47477629
Oh I see.

>>47477629
Sensory view you mean by aiming at the target? If I dont have it, how should I use Spacial Sympathy?

>>47477662
To use Co-Location I need spacial sympathy, right?

Also, sympathy only adds die to the roll if it is used as a Yantra, right?
>>
File: Chaos Mastery.png (223 KB, 675x951) Image search: [Google]
Chaos Mastery.png
223 KB, 675x951
Could someone please explain to me how Chaos Mastery (Fate 4) works? Whom do you cast it on? Yourself, or a target at sensory range?

>The mage deals lethal damage as a direct-attack spell. This effect is not Withstood.

How much damage does this inflict? Potency? Potency + Fate dots? What does "This effect is not Withstood" mean if the spell has "Withstand: Composure"?
>>
>>47478023
You need Spatial Sympathy unless you can see the other area, yes. Given that you're talking to someone there on the phone, though, I'd say that's probably a Medium link, at least, to the other location.
Then you just use Co-Location to superimpose your phone's receiver over the other phone's speaker, and fire through it.
>>
>>47478109
The damage is potency. Also only the damage ignores potency.
>>
>>47478109
Direct damage spells are never withstood, as the withstand is already factored into the character's health. The damage of a direct damage spell is always equal to potency. IE a potency three version of this spell would deal three lethal damage to the target.

This spell itself is kind of fucked. Spells are supposed to have one clear effect and this thing is just a grab bag of "fuck 'em up."
>>
File: 1464136680649.jpg (139 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
1464136680649.jpg
139 KB, 1023x682
>>47478222
>>47478230

Okay, but the spell says I "generate a number of useful patterns in the chaos equal to Potency + Fate dots," right?

Does that mean I can choose the "deal damage" option that many times and BTFO a single target, or spread it out across multiple targets?
>>
>>47478023
Fate would shoot randomly and you'd ricochet off of something. I think there's actually a fighting style merit that lets you shoot at people in cover by knocking over potted plants or ricochets and things like that. Also, wow, that is such a low quality version of that scene.

Sensory just means you can see smell taste touch or hear someone directly. I believe you can actually use a Reach to effect someone you can see indirectly (through a camera feed, or over the phone perhaps), but I'm dumb and Mage is complicated.

>>47478109
All spells are default cast on yourself or someone you're touching.
>>
>>47478477
>All spells are default cast on yourself or someone you're touching.

Right, but this spell outright says "and these may affect any valid subject within sensory range."

Do you just pick from the list Potency + Fate dots times and then completely BTFO a room?
>>
>>47478283
>>47478537
You could always say that its effected by spell stscking rules. Then you would only do the damage once.
It would severely reduce the damage out put. And bring it closer to the other damaging spells.
>>
>>47479347
It's already pretty strong, since it does Potency+Fate damage at Fate 4.
It's got a default minimum damage of 8, which is enough to kill most mortals.
>>
File: direct damage spell.png (281 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
direct damage spell.png
281 KB, 480x800
>>47479444
The Potency + Fate is the options available, not the damage. Its says damage is direct attack spell, so it would be Potency.
>>
When are the Aeon books ocming?
>>
>>47480169
Never, because some one kept spaming demands they canceled the project.
>>
>>47479444
>>47479571
So you could choose the "deal Potency in direct damage" option Potency + Fate times and completely BTFO a target, ignoring Withstand ratings?
>>
>>47480304
I will direct you to >>47479347.
But your not wrong.
>>
>>47480304
Yes, well done.
You've figured out yet another way to do the easiest fucking thing in Mage, kill someone.
>>
>>47480261

but

when are the aeon books coming, anon?
>>
>>47480404
Never
>>
>>47460786
The Nasuverse is the cWoD but more anime. Werewolves are nature spirits, Tsuki is V:tM but the Antes are Sailor Senshi, the Mage Association is the Order of Hermes but Paradox sends brown people to kill you, and the main characters are usually just people with weird skills.

I would bet cash money that Nasu just straight bit things from WW books he played as an elfgamer.
>>
File: le asian happy face.jpg (2 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
le asian happy face.jpg
2 MB, 5000x5000
>>47480404
NEVER EVER
>>
>>47480404

Scion 2e seems like it's on track for a Kickstarter this year, so we'll probably see Aeon around mid-2018.
>>
>>47477328
Are you? You seem to have your head pretty firmly lodged up your own ass there, famalam.
>>
Did that new line come out yet?
>>
File: 1461795185302.jpg (125 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
1461795185302.jpg
125 KB, 900x563
How do starting rotes work in Mage 2e?

A mage starts with six DOTS of rotes, but purchasing rotes later completely disregards dots; buying a 1-dot rote costs the same as purchasing a 5-dot rote.

Are mages supposed to begin with six ROTES?
>>
>>47481280
Deviant? No
Beast? Yes, but it's shit
>>
So I feel like I had my first real Mage experience today.

My character stayed up all night ritual casting a pretty sweet spell—and still failed to cast it. Then I had to have a surprise meeting with the Hierarch on no sleep after accusing his apprentice of being a Seer of the Throne.

Fun stuff.

The situation did bring up a couple of questions:

1.) When spending a point of Willpower on a roll, do you factor in the +3 bonus before or after total modifiers are calculated? e.g. If my dice pool is at -2 right now (a Chance die), will spending Willpower bring my pool to 3 dice or just 1 normal die?

2.) I recall the book saying you can't cast a spell if the total modifiers would bring your pool to -5 dice. Does that mean if you're at, say, 0 dice (and thus rolling a Chance die anyway) you can freely grab two more advances on the spell factor tables for -4 dice without any actual penalty?
>>
>>47482460
No. You begin with six dots of rotes. Your options at default character creation are
Two 3 dots, a 3 dot a 2 dot and a 1 dot, a 3 dot and three 1 dots
Three 2 dots, two 2 dots and two 1 dots, a 2 dot and four 1 dots
Or six 1 dots

I dunno why they choose to do it like this. Nobody does. Don't bother asking.
>>
File: 1461417674034.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1461417674034.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>>47482518

Actually, I just checked the XP table, and rotes cost 1 Experience PER DOT.

So a 5 dot rote costs 5 Experiences, the same price as raising Gnosis? Seriously?
>>
>>47482535

No.

>Rotes may be purchased for one Experience each, and the character must be capable of casting the spell as an improvised spell before purchasing the Rote.

It's hidden in the Rote description instead of near the XP table because reasons.
>>
>>47482462
Oh, and one other question:

3.) Anyone know the rate that Tass decays? I remember it was spelled out in 1e, but I couldn't find it with a cursory glance at the 2e book.
>>
>>47482462
>1
-2+3=1
>2
Technically, but honestly rolling a chance die is dumb and personally I think it's a bad mechanic. I feel like something like you should have a limit of, like, half your Attribute+Skill dice pool and if you fail that it's a dramatic failure. In my experience no one even bothers to roll if they're at <0.

>>47482535
A ●●●●● Rote is pretty useful to have. Although in some ways a ● Rote is more useful, since you get a lot of free Reach.

>>47482594
I'd say the table is right and that one is wrong.

>>47482518
Why wouldn't they? Plus, it's how it was done in 1e.
>>
>>47482616
Never, as far as I'm aware
>>
File: 1460290295662.gif (875 KB, 245x207) Image search: [Google]
1460290295662.gif
875 KB, 245x207
>>47482623

If Rotes cost 1 Experience per dot, then Praxes ALSO cost 1 Experience per dot, and it would make no sense to buy a 5-dot Praxis for 5 Experiences when you could spend the same amount on raising Gnosis.
>>
>>47482623
Thank you for the answers!

>but honestly rolling a chance die is dumb and personally I think it's a bad mechanic.
I agree. I don't think I ever saw a dramatic failure come up in my whole time running nWoD 1e. Which is a shame, really.

>>47482733
Then again, Praxes in general don't seem to be much worth buying, period. Maybe that's just me being a Mage newbie, but it feels like in most cases you'd be better of just taking the spell as a Rote for +3 or more dice on your casting roll and 1-4 extra Reaches.
>>
>>47482762
Praxes are useful when you realize that you can cast anything at any time as a praxes, but rotes require you to spend potentially hours in ritual casting time.
>>
>>47482814
>but rotes require you to spend potentially hours in ritual casting time.

No they don't; only if you're casting from a Grimoire.

Regular learned rotes shit Reach at you, meaning you'll almost never have to ritual cast them.
>>
Rotes are 1 Experience, regardless of how many dots the arcanum is.

Praxis are also 1 Experience. Praxis are great for achieving an Exceptional Success and ignoring Withstand, or the various other benefits. They're also great for preparing for a Legacy, because if that Legacy has attainments which are based on Praxis you have, then you get the Praxis refuded, with an extra Beat on top.
>>
>>47482814
>but rotes require you to spend potentially hours in ritual casting time
In what universe? Certainly not this one, where Rotes give you butt-loads of free reach for no cost, any of which could be spent on instant casting—AND you're likely getting 3 or more extra dice on your casting pool, which makes needing to ritual cast for extra dice even less likely.
>>
>>47482832
I fucked up, yep. I dunno, I still feel as though Praxes are useful for some spells, if nothing else they're a cheap way to make a spell mana-free if it's not from your prime, and if it's a spell you cast often it could be useful, especially stuff like Know Spirit.
>>
>>47482733
Praxes and Rotes cover different grounds. Some spells you won't really need as a Rote, some you won't want to make one of your Praxes. Some you may want to be both. Likewise, raising Gnosis isn't the end-all, be-all if you feel that you would be well served by a good 5 dot Rote. It's not as if there aren't Devotions that cost more than a dot of Blood Potency (Force of Nature, Riot; though many cost 4 Experiences, which is more than some Disciplines). Just because something costs as much as a "level up" doesn't mean that it's equivalent.

>>47482762
>>47482814
>I agree. I don't think I ever saw a dramatic failure come up in my whole time running nWoD 1e. Which is a shame, really.
This is one of the reasons they're now optional. They realized that the Chance Die rules are shit. Unfortunately they still kept the main rule around.
>Praxes
There are some very good benefits of Exceptional Successes, and a Praxis makes those much easier. Also, Rotes do not require hours casting, that's only if you use a Grimoire, though it does give you some nice benefits as well.

As a rule of thumb: Use a Praxis when you've got a high Gnosis+Arcanum and don't need to modify the Spell Factors. Use a Rote when you're casting out of Path and need the extra dice. Often, you'll want to take Praxes for spells you can cast well naturally (and after all a Praxis is essentially your personalized spell, and they often become Attainments) and Rotes for spells that you either can't (due to low Gnosis+Arcanum) and spells that want a lot of Reach. Of course, that's not to say that get some good use out of a high Rote pool for something you're already good at. If you've got Adamantine Hand, a Praxis is pretty useful for that "ignore Withstanding".

>>47482879
He was referring to the cast-from-grimoire benefits, which require you to double the ritual time. Very useful for rituals where you're stacking the Yantras and want an Exceptional as well as some Reach. Summoning, for instance
>>
>>47482876
>Rotes are 1 Experience, regardless of how many dots the arcanum is.
>Praxis are also 1 Experience.
[citation needed]
>>
>>47482623
>Plus, it's how it was done in 1e.
I mean in comparison to the rules given in the Rote explanation which is probably more reliable, since it's explicitly spelled out instead of listed on a table where they could have just forgotten an asterisk or something.
>>
>>47482967
Page 112 of the Mage 2e book
>A mage gains one free Praxis for every dot of Gnosis, and may purchase more for one Arcane Experience each.
>Rotes may be purchased for one Experience each
The last paragraph of their respective sections
>>
>>47482967

>A mage gains one free Praxis for every dot of Gnosis, and may purchase more for one Arcane Experience each. The character must be capable of casting the Praxis as an improvised spell.
>Rotes may be purchased for one Experience each, and the character must be capable of casting the spell as an improvised spell before purchasing the Rote.

Page 112
>>
>>47482980
>>47482985
That's not what the table in page 87 says.
>>
>>47482990

"Text trumps table" has been D&D's rule of thumb for years, and I don't see any reason to not apply it elsewhere.

When a writer makes revisions, it's almost always to the text, with the tables being updated "later."
>>
>>47482990
As I said >>47482968
The typed-out sentence is probably more reliable than a table where they just slapped "Experiences per dot" on top of the column and may have just forgotten to put asterisks by some of the costs.
>>
File: Mage XP.png (83 KB, 387x595) Image search: [Google]
Mage XP.png
83 KB, 387x595
>>47482990
What table on page 87? Mine is on 83 and says they cost 1 XP
>>
>>47483050

Psst, look at the top of the table. "Experiences per Dot."

3 dot Rote = 3 XP, going by the table.
>>
>>47483057
Oh shit.

So the issue is a generic title for all increase costs, most of which will be incremental rather than a single purchase, vs. text in each of the explanations of Praxes and Rotes that specifically says they cost one each?

Specific trumps general.
>>
>>47482461
>Deviant? No
Thanks I couldn't remember its name. Any new info about it?
>>
>>47483145
Not really
We know they've decided on the subtitle already, iirc, but we don't know what it is
That's about all we've learned since GenCon, I think
>>
>>47483162
Deviant: The Fugitives
>>
>>47483169
Where are you getting this from?
>>
File: Rotes.png (109 KB, 405x655) Image search: [Google]
Rotes.png
109 KB, 405x655
>>47482967
Table's wrong.
>>
>>47483320
Table is right, he just took the title too literally since you don't incrementally buy Rotes like you do Attributes
>>
>>47483050
>>47483057

I thought that CofD XP costs were meant to be flat? So 1 rote should be 1XP regardless.
>>
>>47483340
It is, read the rest of the posts
>>
>>47483340
Not necessarily. You have stuff like in changeling how contracts cost 1xp per dot and the same with merits. It's not uncommon, but usually xp costs for any given thing never exceed 5xp.
>>
How does the Shadow Name merit work?

Shadow Name (• to •••)
Effect: Your character has a particularly developed magical persona, and is almost a different person when acting as a mage than in her mundane life. When purchasing this Merit, determine the Shadow Name and its symbolism. The character may use those symbols as a persona tool in spellcasting, worth this Merit’s dots. Additionally, apply dots in this Merit as a Withstand rating to spells that attempt to identify her or cast on her using the Sympathetic Range Attainment when in her mundane persona, to spells using the Temporal Sympathy Attainment targeting a time when she was in her mundane persona, and as a dice penalty to mundane skill rolls relating to identifying her as the same person as her magical self.

Is using the symbolism of your shadow name a state of mind ("My shadow name represents a benevolent fairy godmother, so blessing the innocent and hexing the wicked is my forte"), or do you have to play dress-up as a superhero or a mahou shoujo to work your symbolism?

If you DO have to play dress-up, since you have to avoid overt magical effects in front of Sleepers, do you wind up looking like a chuunibyou?
>>
>>47483394
Wait, so all Mages don't use Shadow Names anymore, you can just be Bob Roberts, Moros Adamantine Arrow?
>>
>>47483394
It's mostly a state of mind thing, although calling yourself Elsa and wearing an icy-blue gown is going to make a better Yantra than calling yourself Madoka and not doing anything special at all

But that's because the outfit helps with the state of mind, really
>>
>>47483394
you wouldn't be using your shadow persona among sleepers anyway. You'd be doing it with your cabal and in the consilium and while you might not have to dress like an anime character you would be dressing differently from how you would dress in your normal life.
It's a secret identity that you've put more work into than most other mages, so you're REALLY trying to sell it.
>>
>>47483394
>>47483427
Mage 2e confirmed for the most chuunibyou splat?
>>
Does anyone have the final PDF of CofD: Dark Era recently released by OPP with the included errata?
>>
>>47483437
Yes thanks.
>>
>>47483417
No. The Merit is only for using your Shadow Name as a Yantra.
You can still be Bob Roberts, and you always could be, but that's stupid and makes it really easy for anybody who wants to gank you with Sympathetic magic

As a part of the Storytelling section says(granted, not very clearly), taking the merit often leads to the Mage in question coming to reflect their Shadow Name; a guy who goes by Joker keeps getting laughed at, or starts to resemble a particularly well known 'Joker'; Mentors advise against taking the name Odin if you're fond of having 2 eyes
>>
>>47483417
They all have shadow names still. The merit represents an entire persona beyond just a name & gives you mechanical bonuses.
>>
>>47483417

They all do, unless they're suicidally stupid, it's just that some people invest "more" into their Shadow Name than others (thus the merit).
>>
>>47483437
>Didn't even Ctrl+F "Dark Eras"
See >>47470059
>>
>>47483451
>>47483452
>>47483458
ok, that makes sense

If my Sleeper name was something else, I think Bob might be a decent shadow name still.
>>
>>47483469
People would take you less seriously, but if that's what you're going for, sure.
>>
>>47483530

Is "street cred" based on how chuuni your Shadow Name sounds?
>>
Who decides who your mentor is? Are they the first Mage to find you, do they volunteer or are they assigned
>>
File: cirno chu.gif (590 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
cirno chu.gif
590 KB, 640x640
>>47483433

It was always the most chuuni splat
>>
File: misterrranderson.jpg (11 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
misterrranderson.jpg
11 KB, 320x320
>>47483469

One of my NPCs was a Subtle One named Smith. Since their schtick is being faceless nobodies, the most common name in the country seemed appropriate.

also he had the high-level attainment that lets you make copies of yourself, which made the reference even better
>>
Question regarding potency as a spell factor. The book says that for every level of potency beyond the first it imposes a -2 to the casting roll, but in the Spell Factors section right before that it says that a mage can alter the primary spell factor after applying any penalties by (Arcana dots -1).

How does this work exactly, if I cast a forces 3 spell while I have forces 5? Since it applies post penalties, can I rachet up the potency to 5 and ignore the -8 penalty to my casting pool or what?
>>
>>47483601

That applies after dice penalties. So you take a -8 penalty to increase potency from 1 to 5. Then if your spell goes off successfully, your free potency kicks in (if you want it to) and it increases by arcarnum-1, so if you're a Forces Master your spell would have Potency 9.

Basically you get free primary factor = your dots in arcarnum, but you get the first as your dfault and the rest don't apply until after all penalties. That's you casting at full strength though, so other Mages will know you're trying.
>>
File: 3914736.png (480 KB, 658x632) Image search: [Google]
3914736.png
480 KB, 658x632
>>47483433
As >>47483567 says, it always has been. I mean, you create a dramatic persona and try to live up to it.

>>47483394
>If you DO have to play dress-up, since you have to avoid overt magical effects in front of Sleepers, do you wind up looking like a chuunibyou?
Dressing like a wizard helps you get into the wizard mindset. You don't dress like a wizard to go to the bank, though. You put on your robe and wizard hat when you want to cast ritual spells and deal with Consilium business.

>>47483431
Put more specifically, mixing your Shadowname and mundane life makes the Shadowname less effective.

Your Shadowname is your Batman persona while your regular life is Bruce Wayne. Everyone thinks you're just a billionaire playboy, but you're actually a sociopathic ninja. No one suspects the two are the same.
>>
>>47483646
So jeans to consillium meetings is a faux pa?
>>
>>47483552
Depends on the Consilium.
>>
>>47483658
Probably.

>>47483685
>>47483552
Who decides your Mentor when you join a new job?
>>
>>47483696
>Who decides your Mentor when you join a new job?
A new what?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHrkXfzGv7c
So the Necrodancer would be a Moros Lich with Fate?
>>
>>47483755
Why would you say Fate? What does he actually do, I mean, other than tear people's hearts out of their chests and use Death Magic to keep them from dying.
>>
>>47483755
Holy shit, that game looks dumber than I thought and I want to play it even more now
>>
>>47478109
This brings up an interesting conundrum. How does this spell work with Withstand: Composure? Do you use the condition inflicting parts of the spell and then subtract the victim(s) composure from the potency or the number of patterns that was produced? Or do you cast it on yourself and for whatever reason you have the option to withstand it? What the fuck is going on with this spell, besides the direct damage?
>>
>>47483881
I would imagine whenever you try and apply an instance of its effects, if your potency doesn't beat that subject's Withstand, that instance fails.

So cast with a Potency of 5, if you try to apply the Broken Condition to a materialized Spirit with Resistance 7 (a Spirit of Recalcitrant Stubbornness, naturally) to try and brow-beat it into compliance, then your instance will fail.
>>
>>47483963
I'm hoping you're correct because I have a similar thought, but it just seems so odd in comparison to other spells due it giving you what is essentially ammo for a bunch of effects rather than one clear one.
>>
>>47483859
I thought the gimmick of "you have to get your heart to beat in time with the music or else you cannot move at all." thing seemed pretty Fate-ish.
>>
>>47483981
It is fairly odd, but not out of theme with Fate.

>>47483985
Sounds more Mind to me.
>>
>>47483881
>>47483963
>>47483981
>>47484029
But what happens when you choose the damage option all at once? Do you deal (Potency + Fate) * Potency damage all at once?

So with Potency 2 and Fate 4, that means 12 lethal damage at once.

24 damage if you double-cast it as a combined spell. Really?
>>
>>47484115
That is pretty much what happens, yeah. Something to keep in mind if you're fighting a vampire or other supernatural creature with some kind of damage resisting powers is that they can apply it to each hit of it.
>>
>>47484131
Unless you go for aggravated damage.
>>
>>47484189
Even then, some abilities like a Vampire's Resilience will outright negate damage. Beasts have a similar ability as well, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>47484205
Many abilities only negate or downgrade lethal damage and lower. Dead flesh for vampires doesn't work on agg, neither does a werewolves normal resilience to things that cause agg.
>>
>>47484115
Actually, given that Potency will be minimum 4 (Potency is primary Factor, you need Fate 4 to cast it) that'd be 32 damage.
>>
>>47484294
Which is almost certainly the Dresden Files example of a jumbo-size frozen turkey reaching terminal velocity after falling out of an overhead plane.
>>
>>47484300
Spend a reach and you can target 5 poor motherfuckers.
>>
>>47484300
Would you need Matter 4 to deploy a comedy anvil?
>>
File: 1464270384861.gif (89 KB, 270x250) Image search: [Google]
1464270384861.gif
89 KB, 270x250
What is stopping a mage from replenishing basically all Mana and Willpower by spamming Praxis spells?
>>
>>47484402

Ahri is mai waifu
>>
>>47484402
Paradox
>>
>>47484447
>Paradox
>in Mage 2e
lel
>>
>>47484447

What Paradox? You don't accrue it for casting more spells in a scene, now.
>>
>>47484402
The storyteller, if they're paying attention. In theory, nothing really. But there's plenty of things that'd be easy to game if the ST doesn't really care about it being quite silly.
>>
>>47484456
you do.
>>
>>47484532
Not if you don't Reach.
>>
>>47484400
You're not creating or modifying the properties of an Anvil, merely using fate to ensure one arives.
So no.
>>
>>47484532

No, you only generate Paradox for:
1) Sleeper witnesses.
2) overReaching.
3) Each other Paradox roll you've made this scene.
4) Inured spells.

If none of those are true, you can cast a spell 500 times and Paradox won't notice.
>>
>>47484561

Why are mages so best at everything?
>>
>>47484561
in what in-game scenario would your ST allow you to sit there and re-roll a spell more than 2 or 3 times.
>>
>>47484571

Paradox doesn't have the same role in nMage as it did in oMage.
>>
>>47484575

None; I'm not saying the "spam Praxes" thing works, I'm just correcting him RE: Paradox.

In fact the rule of thumb ("anything worth rolling requires there be enough consequence for failure that failing the roll probably means you won't get to try again this scene") for when-to-roll more or less short circuits any plan predicated on doing something repeatedly, because the moment you CAN do it, is the exact moment you no longer get to roll for it.
>>
>>47484602
>"anything worth rolling requires there be enough consequence for failure that failing the roll probably means you won't get to try again this scene"

Literally doesn't work when spellcasting comes onto the table.

"Okay, I try to cast this spell t--"

"No, you can't cast that, there's no risk."
>>
>>47484402
GMs, and the Quick and Dirty spellcasting rules.
>>
>>47484629

Firstly: You don't think there's any risk in blowing your Psychic Domination while the guy's got a gun pointed at your head?

Secondly: I didn't say you can't DO it, you just don't ROLL, so considerations like "exceptional success" and the rewards don't enter into it.

You don't roll to drive to work in the morning, meaning you can't ever get an exceptional success for it either, but that doesn't mean you're physically incapable of going.
>>
>>47484661
Exceptional Luck during calm scenes.
>>
>>47484719

What of it?

Got a duration long enough to hold it until something useful? Oh wait no, you can only increase duration by taking penalties. To the roll. That you're not making.
>>
>>47484761

>cast Exceptional Luck on rote
>+2 Reach
>apply it to spellcasting
>Inspired (Spellcasting)
>cast Exceptional Luck again, apply Inspired, get exceptional success, get Conditions that give Beats

Easy Beat machine.
>>
>>47484845
Casual Unchained nearby converts beats into beatings. Good luck with that.
>>
File: 1462795172923.jpg (219 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1462795172923.jpg
219 KB, 600x600
Veil of Moments (Time ••) says:

>While this spell is active, the subject becomes immune to things that worsen with time. She will not bleed out from her wounds, and poison and toxins effectively halt their duration, as does the progression of disease. New Conditions and Tilts cannot be imposed on the subject while the spell remains in effect. Supernatural powers that impose effects provoke a Clash of Wills.

Does "New Conditions and Tilts cannot be imposed on the subject while the spell remains in effect" apply only to "things that worsen with time," or ALL Conditions and Tilts?
>>
>>47485250
All Conditions.
>>
>>47485284
So a Beast loses satiety but doesn't become hungrier because they lack the new Condition?

Shit, I think Time Initiates just solved the Primordial Dream
>>
>>47485305
Pretty much.
Only problem is convincing them to spend the dot of Willpower to make it permanent.
>>
>>47485320
Beasts have perfect mind control
>>
>>47485326
Eh, still relies on information no Beast would be permitted to gain, finding an extremely proficient Mage, and surviving the Consilium's retribution.
>>
>>47485305
Actually, my bad.
Satiety is a Supernatural Effect imposing a Condition, meaning you'd have to clash of wills with the Mage every time it wanted to asset itself.
>>
>>47485320
You can do that?
>>
>>47485873
Willpower point makes spells permanent, but they go wonky after a while

Willpower dot keeps the released spell unning as intended until it's duration expires
>>
>>47483658
That depends on your Shadowname, it could be magical hobo while in the civil life you are actually CEO.

>>47484648
Also GMs with the Dirty look.
>>
>>47485889
permanent as in, as if it had been duration indefinite, but not permanent as in lasting I assume?
>>
>>47485923
Indefinite duration, and not counted against spell limit.
>>
>>47485923
Yes, indefinite.
In fact it isn't necessary to spend the willpower if you don't release it, but it will still count for the limit of your active spells.
>>
>>47485937
Willpower doesn't make the spell indefinite, it just stops it from counting against your spell control. It still has whatever Duration it had.
>>
>>47486036
Oh hey, Dave. I had a question, so using life 4, would you be able to do something similar to the change-life spell from life 2, albeit imparting non-natural abilities to plants or would that exceed what's possible? I was wondering if with high enough life you could do something like, make a tree who's fruit make changes to ones DNA or something similar.
>>
>>47486036
Hey Dave, is the section in the rote cost which says they cost 1 Experience incorrect?
The table in the Experiences section says they're one Experience per dot.
>>
>>47486123
Oh my god you fucking autismo, they cost 1XP period
>>
>>47486153
I genuinely agree with you, but I want a quote from Dave in case other people claim otherwise.
>>
>>47484845
>>47484719
"I'm not letting you roll just to roll"
>I cast Exceptional Luck and then roll
"Are you suffering from some sort of brain injury?"
>>
How would you make a Cyberman Legacy in Mage?
>>
>>47487423
I could have sworn there was something already in the book about a body part replacing Legacy, but apparently I was wrong. I did however find this, for all the people who say "queers are always good guys".
>Not all symbols are positive. The Seer of the Throne Chrysalides base their magic in body dysmorphia, offering initiates the chance to be who they wish. Members divide their time between two forms, one of which is perfected in mind and body at the expense of the other. (Life)
Although Body Dysmorphia can encompass more than just gender dysphoria, you don't tend to see many fat wizards.

Anyway, to answer your question for real, since I can't snarkily quote something from the book, I'd say a Moros or Obrimos Legacy that focuses on Prime and Matter. You craft Perfected Metal bodyparts and have them grafted onto yourself.
>>
>>47486036
Dave, how does Chaos Mastery (Fate 4) ACTUALLY work?
>>
>>47487567
>>47479571
Considering there's only 5 options given, and you generally aren't going to get a Potency higher than 5 with the spell, I'd say the intention is probably that you can only choose a thing once.
And the lethal damage option not being withstood is because it's a secondary effect of the spell, which is already withstood.
>>
>>47488022
>you generally aren't going to get a Potency higher than 5 with the spell

Minimum Potency 4 + minimum Fate 4 = 8 options

Your move.
>>
>>47484402
Nothing that the point of praxis spells.
>>
>>47488068
>Withstand
Most people are going to have a Withstand of 2 for that spell
>6 Options
Once you hit Fate 5, you move up to 8 options; I'd say that's where those being the "common" applications of the spell comes in, and you do OTHER shit
Don't even get me started on spell stacking, and the other things that suggest you couldn't apply any one of those effects to a single person more than once

>Minimum Potency 4
Default, m8
You can still spend a Reach to make your primary spell factor Duration, which would bump up the Conditions it can impose to more than a single-turn thing, and lower your Potency to 1
>>
>>47488137
>Most people are going to have a Withstand of 2 for that spell

You're not even casting it on others.

You're casting the spell ON YOURSELF and then choosing from a grab bag of "screw these guys up." Withstand applies only to whatever you shoot out at a target... and there's no Withstand if you choose "deal lethal damage."
>>
>>47488242
>You're casting the spell ON YOURSELF
No you're not. I have no idea why you'd get that impression.
>>
>>47488242
The subject of the spell is who it's cast on, and who withstands it. If you cast it on yourself, you're withstanding it, you're taking the effects.

The spell is Withstood. Whatever the Potency is after that is the damage being dealt when you deal Lethal damage. That effect isn't Withstood because it would make the base damage 0, but it's actually 2.(Fate/Potency 4, Composure/Withstand 2; 4-2=2)
>>
Been watching Hemlock Grove. It's completely retarded and makes no sense. But as I watch, it's occurred to me that OPP needs to make a cowgirl game.

Get on it, OPP.
>>
>>47488446

Like a game about being a rough and tumble woman in the Old West?
>>
>>47488319
>>47488359
Read the spell. YOU get the useful changes in chaos which you can then pick from a list from an devastate everyone.
>>
File: yXcqfKZ.jpg (440 KB, 700x956) Image search: [Google]
yXcqfKZ.jpg
440 KB, 700x956
Walk me through this.
I have this spell, Chaos Mastery, on praxis.
I want to use it to defeat a raging hedge-beast.
I Praxis-cast, spend willpower, and earn an exceptional success.
For the exceptional success, I will ignore Composure.
I have 8 selections of "ruin this target's day."
How should I select them?
Do they all apply in single turn?
Can I fire the damage all at the singe hedge-beast?
>>
>>47488729
You can fire them all at the hedgebeast at once to deal damage, or apply a number of conditions, or anything between those two. It still has a duration of one turn unless you alter it's spell factors, so you need to do it all at once anyway I'm fairly certain.
>>
>>47488579
Yes, but you're explicitly affecting the subject of the spell.
If you cast the spell on yourself, YOU are the subject. YOU are the one being affected.
You cast the spell on someone else, unless you're trying to screw yourself over, but just like any spell, what it actually does is still decided by you when you cast it.

If you want the spell to affect multiple people, then you've gotta take penalties to increase the Scale.

Learn the fucking rules of the system before you try to interpret how the system works.
>>
>>47488359
>>47488579
>The subject
>the subject
>the subject
That is not the Mage. You get to choose the useful changes that are effecting a subject.
Spells that deal damage are not Withstood, so if you choose THAT SPECIFIC EFFECT, it is not Withstood.

>>47488446
What? Did you somehow mix up Hemlock Grove and Wynona Earp? I thought Hemlock Grove was about a gated community with Werewolves (I have never seen Hemlock Grove).
>>
>>47488828
Not that same guy, but as far as I understand it you can use separate applications (or "shots" of the potency+fate) on different targets as long they are still considered a valid target and are in sensory range, and you apply the potency of the spell against the specific target's composure when using any function other than the damage option.

It is kind of like getting multiple spells all in one bundle that you can cast all at once.
>>
>>47488566
No, cowgirls as in black and white outfits and poofy tails and giant tits. I don't know what the focus of the game would be.
>>
>>47488888
This is how it really works.
>>
>>47488986

I'm pretty sure Queen's Blade already exists.
>>
File: hemlock-grove__130615000810.jpg (262 KB, 1280x858) Image search: [Google]
hemlock-grove__130615000810.jpg
262 KB, 1280x858
>>47488880
>What? Did you somehow mix up Hemlock Grove and Wynona Earp? I thought Hemlock Grove was about a gated community with Werewolves (I have never seen Hemlock Grove).
That'd be The Gates

Hemlock Grove is about a town that is, for the most part, entirely normal, except that a big ass science company has their headquarters there
The first season starts with A werewolf moving into town, and a girl's torn-apart body being found. Later in the season one of the other main characters turns out to be a nascent vampire. There's also a Frankenstein's Monster-type girl, who is the vampire's little sister.

First season spoilers regarding pic related:
Guy on the left is the vampire, guy on the right is the werewolf, the emo-looking chick in the back is the frankenstein

It's an alright show. First 2 seasons are decent/10
I haven't watched much of the third season, but what I did see seemed to have taken a sharp decrease in quality from the first two seasons
>>
>>47476541
>tree and tree accessories
>>
>>47489018
This. This. This.

This is how it it SUPPOSED to work.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.