[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With a budget of three hundred gold pieces, how could a balanced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: mutant_knight.jpg (177 KB, 1412x850) Image search: [Google]
mutant_knight.jpg
177 KB, 1412x850
With a budget of three hundred gold pieces, how could a balanced and otherwise fully equipped level one party defeat a giant?

>hardmode
No offensive casting.
>>
>>47457097
300 gold pieces per player, or 300 gold total? Also how many party members?
>>
>>47457134
Let's say four members, 300gp total, not including whatever armour/weapons/gear the players would already have at character creation.
>>
It would probably be enough to rent or buy a siege engine and hire experienced engineers to run it, all they need to do then is lure the giant into a choke point and trap him there while they giant gets shot at.
Or you could do it the old fashioned peasants way and buy a favorite meal of the giant, for example a cow, and stuff it with various kinds of toxic and poisonous herbs, liquids and potions and then leave it close to its lair.
>>
>>47457097
Spend the money hiring a bigger giant to kill the first giant.
>>
>>47457181

This might be the best answer.

There's also drew knockout poison. Three or four doses will likely eventually fail it's fortitude save. Then coup de grace.

Which edition, op? 3.5?
>>
File: 1440037474947.jpg (831 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1440037474947.jpg
831 KB, 1024x1024
>>47457242
5th. My GM has us hunting down a giant as our first mission in a Witcher-esque campaign.

>>47457177
>>47457181
>>47457242
I like all of these, because none of them put the party at risk of actual harm.
>>
>>47457330
The poisoning idea in >>47457177 was literally lifted from the second book in the witcher series, albeit replace giant with dragon, so it should work adequately. The method is described in detail on the wiki http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Bounds_of_Reason

"After this dragon allegedly terrorized a nearby village, the villagers decided to trap and kill it. The local shoemaker, Kozojed, planted a dead sheep stuffed with hellebore, belladonna, hemlock, sulfur, pitch and tacks in the middle of their flock as bait for the beast. And just to be sure, the local apothecary added two measures of carbuncle salve to the mixture which was then blessed by the local priest of Kreve. "

You could also try riling up the local peasants to help you with it, make sure to arm them with nets and long spears so they can trap the giant if it is not completely dead after the poisoning and stab it from a safe distance, which ended up being the most successful method for killing the dragon within the aforementioned story.
Wagons are optional but useful since they are good for mobility, carrying the equipment to the giant's lair/transporting peasants and also for dragging the giant to the ground if you cobble together a harpoon or rope or something.
>>
Hire a bunch of laborers, hunters and carpenters to dig you a deep pit trap, line it with poisoned spikes and build a camouflaged floor over the whole thing that won't support the giant's weight, then lure or taunt the giant into your trap.
>>
>>47457097
Buy a few sheep and poison them
>>
Buy horses, bows, and poisoned arrows. Ride to within bowshot of the giant, dismount, pepper him with arrows, then hop back on the horses and ride out of his reach. Rinse and repeat. Made easier if any of the characters can take mounted archery as a feat.

Kite the giant around using hit-and-run tactics and wait for the poison to kick in.
>>
>>47457097
Indirectly
Traps and poison
Dropping a building on it would also work
>>
>>47457330
>I like all of these, because none of them put the party at risk of actual harm.

I imagine that's what most parties in this situation would aim for.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.