[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D Good monster appreciation thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: Flumph.jpg (44 KB, 309x417) Image search: [Google]
Flumph.jpg
44 KB, 309x417
Post your good aligned monsters that you like the best in D&D or Pathfinder in this thread.

Here is a flumph. Trust a flumph. They are your constantly relaxed friends and often the only nice folk you will meet in the worst places in all of existence.
>>
File: brobold.jpg (155 KB, 445x759) Image search: [Google]
brobold.jpg
155 KB, 445x759
Always love friendly kobolds. Adorable little useless bastards, the lot of them.
>>
>>45014206

>Kobolds
>Good aligned

That basically doesn't happen anon. Neutral isn't unheard of, but good? Nope. I am sure it can happen, but it is very, very rare indeed.

For me though? Gotta go with Blink Dogs. Had one save from a Phase Spider once. Chased the spider off, vanished when the spider did and came back carrying a leg in its mouth like a stick.

He was a good dog.
>>
>>45014283
>For me though? Gotta go with Blink Dogs. Had one save from a Phase Spider once. Chased the spider off, vanished when the spider did and came back carrying a leg in its mouth like a stick.

k

> looks up blink dogs
> CR 2
> looks up phase spiders
> CR 5

Yeah you're full of bullshit. Please also tell me about the time your first level character killed a great wyrm dragon through his sheer edgy bad-assery. What you just described is literally impossible.
>>
>>45014300
>what is monster advancement
>what is fun
>>
>>45014283

>Home brew setting
>Kobolds can be good

If the DM wants it, it can be so. Just because it's one way in the book doesn't mean you can't change it.
>>
>>45014300
DM decides what happens, bruh.

But on the other hand friendly Kobolds are similarly viable. I should know, I had them established as a core race in a game I ran.
>>
>>45014283
It seems plausible that kobolds could end up good. All it should take is that they run into a metallic dragon before they do a chromatic dragon, and attach to it with their usual deranged fervor for serving dragons, right?
>>
>>45014300

CR is a general idea of who would win in a fight, but the dice don't follow any rules, anon.

For example, I had a group of four level 3 adventurers take on a young adult green dragon in his lair and I threw everything at the bastards after giving them a clear warning that the dragon will destroy them.

2 people were dying, one was near death and the other half-way dead but they did in deed manage to kill the bastard in a straight up fight because the rolls were in their favor and against mine as the DM. I even rolled without a screen with the plan to be to kill off their characters so they know not to fuck around with an obviously more powerful threat.

Total horseshit they won that fight but given the damage they took and how close they were to being utterly destroyed they didn't pick any more fights beyond their scope from that point forward, but it does go to show that sometimes the dice gods just favor the little guy.
>>
For all of Bogleech being a simpering retard when it comes to anything regarding social issues, his articles on D&D monsters are pretty great.
>>
>>45014441

RAW states that makes them neutral. Good alignment is against their nature entirely.

Homebrewing is an option, true, but homebrewing is bullshit on the whole. Fun? Yes, but absolutely bullshit too and I don't recommend people use it because it gets broken super fast in a game system that already can be broken when playing RAW.
>>
>>45014519

If it's fun, who cares? Tabletop is all about having fun telling a story, not having super hardcore rules and sticking to them like they're law.

Chill bro, just have some fun
>>
>>45014323

> monster advancement

But OP specified a blink dog. Not an advanced one.

> what is fun

One of the most toxic diluting concepts to the current state of RPGs, which have been turned into baths of shit for the sake of "fun"
>>
>>45014363
>DM decides what happens, bruh.

You mean, DM railroads the campaign because he's a bullshitter who can't handle the truths of the game he is running.

It's like a faggot playing GURPS and having some guy take 900 bullets and stay up because "the DM says what happens"

Also:

> bruh

Just more proof the infection is spreading.
>>
>>45014566

>If it's fun, who cares?

Hacking a 3 year old to death in her car seat with a machete is fun. But that doesn't make it a roleplaying game.

> Tabletop is all about having fun telling a story,

Yes, and a story relies on suspension of disbelief. Which is fucked when the GM says "LOL NOPE THIS HAPPENS INSTEAD"

> not having super hardcore rules and sticking to them like they're law.

Nice false dichotomy you fucking faggot. This isn't being a ruleslawyer over minutia, this is equivalent to having a minor kobold pwn a tarrasque because "muh fun"

Well, your fun is worthless.

> Chill bro, just have some fun

Go back to smoking pot, imbecile. You're an insult to the RPG community.
>>
>>45014573
Harnessing your inner /v/ here aren't ya?
>>
>>45014444

What's it with you and the word "bastard"?

And you are correct, but that is a GROUP of characters versus a young adult green dragon which is what, CR 8? At most there was a disparity of 1 level there when you figure out the CR of a party of four adventurers.

This was a CR 2 creature against a CR 5 creature. Far different. Especially when you take in the logarithmic differences; the phase spider was TWICE the challenge rating of the blink dog in question.

If you do the math and prove me wrong, I'll concede the point. But right not it just seems like an autistic DM asspull because the DM is incompetent and needs to constantly asspull to make his players feel awesome. Because if they aren't constantly feeling awesome they will realize they are only playing tabletop games for the fucking ego boost, same reason they post all over Facebook and Instagram, and hopefully they will realize they do not belong and will stop playing RPGs and go back to their normal inane narcissistic habits that I can more easily ignore.
>>
File: PRISMATIC_ALPHASTREAM.jpg (1 MB, 1700x2200) Image search: [Google]
PRISMATIC_ALPHASTREAM.jpg
1 MB, 1700x2200
>>45014118
Seriously guys, who gives a fuck about kobolds anyway. Flumphs are the best.
>>
>>45014613
>>45014590

The salty faggot patrol is out in force, it seems.

That's the thing. That's the thing about roleplay. You can't do it wrong because you and your friends decide how it works.

And you can't do a single god damn thing about it. You actually had a pretty good idea, just now.

I'm gonna pitch a "you're kobolds, BBEG's a terrasque" campaign to my friends.

In being this much of an edgy, juvenile "yeah I kill toddlers" queer, you managed to successfully wrongbadfun your way straight into the "my opinion is worthless and I was kicked out of the game shop for smelling like NEET" zone.
>>
>>45014613

Yeah true, I used a false dichotomy, as did you just then.

>Which is fucked when the GM says "LOL NOPE THIS HAPPENS INSTEAD"

That isn't at all whats going on. It's not gamebreaking, it's basically world flavour. Having stupid bullshit like something that should be a death not being one, that's stupid and breaks immersion. Changing one little part of a stat line from Neutral to Good is just flavour, adds something unexpected and interesting.

Changing alignment isn't a fucking big deal. Hell, PC's get alignment changed based on behaviour, why not have that happen to a minor monster race?
>>
File: r_cut_image_m_a011_a.png (33 KB, 174x251) Image search: [Google]
r_cut_image_m_a011_a.png
33 KB, 174x251
>>45014118
This is a japanese flumph.
>>
>>45014573
>>45014590
>>45014613
>>45014668
Holy fuck son, your autism is beyond repair.
>>
Holy shit this faggot is all over, ignore the troll
>>
>>45014653

Not really. Just saying that using "fun" as the sole descriptor of what makes a game good, is absolutely fucking stupid. Lots of things are fun. There is more to a game than "fun," and perhaps once you mature past pure hedonism you will understand that.

Until then please continue taking false adulation from Reddit that your "roleplaying game" which has devolved into freeform penis wankery, is a real good RPG, and as long as everyone (meaning you and the other non-thought-crime players who like narrativism, because the rest are just rules lawyers ruining the fun) is having fun, your game is good and should not be changed.

War is Peace. Freedom is Tyranny. Ignorance is Strength.
>>
>>45014726
You ever play a game that wasn't d&d or pf?
>>
>>45014693
>That's the thing. That's the thing about roleplay. You can't do it wrong because you and your friends decide how it works.

Correct. But when you are playing a roleplaying GAME and refuse to follow the rules (beyond the occasional fudge or house rule), then you are no longer playing a game. You are simply roleplaying, which in itself has no value. Children roleplay. Adults play roleplaying games.

> And you can't do a single god damn thing about it.

Oh I am just trembling at your power over me. You need to regain control somehow, since mommy didn't let you have tendies tonight?

> I'm gonna pitch a "you're kobolds, BBEG's a terrasque" campaign to my friends.

You can't even spell tarrasque correctly, how do you intend to run a competent campaign?

Oh wait, you'll just fudge all their dice rolls to be natural 20s, then come on /tg/ and brag about the "epic" kobold v.s. tarrasque battle.

> In being this much of an edgy, juvenile "yeah I kill toddlers" queer, you managed to successfully wrongbadfun your way straight into the "my opinion is worthless and I was kicked out of the game shop for smelling like NEET" zone.

Ahh, and finish it off with some nice strawman soup. Good job, OP, 10/10 post.
>>
File: master-bait-ion.png (5 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
master-bait-ion.png
5 KB, 160x160
>>45014300
>>45014519
>>45014573
>>45014590
>>45014613
>>45014668
>>
Werebears having a forced good alignment always struck me as funny. The concept of a PC or NPC who constantly switches from some form of evil to LG whenever he transforms amuses me.
>>
>>45014696

I don't think we're talking about the same thing, anon. I have no problem with changing a monster's alignment. I have a problem with bullshit ass pulls that turn games into freeform wankery. And the same faggots turn around and defend it with "lol it's my game you can't stop me" because it's the only counterargument they can muster.

>>45014719

Multiple people responded, so I responded to them. What's the issue with that?
>>
>>45014807
Forced alignments for lycanthropes is the first thing I houserule into nonexistance.
>>
>>45014770

Yep. Nice strawman. I've played GURPS, Eclipse Phase, Savage Worlds, Exalted, and World of Darkness during my tabletop career. Gonna try a real argument now?

>>45014807

Well that's mostly to do with alignment being a retarded oversimplification of actual human motivations (and the human-based races which is all of them). But yes, that is fairly funny.
>>
>>45014817
he's saying this guy has a mental retardation and we could have a nice thread if we ignore him.
>>
>>45014787
This thread is dead, pic related killed it.

I wonder if it's the next Virt.
>>
>>45014838
Well I was mainly asking becuade there are a few games where playing "by the book" means "doing whatever fits the story best". Just wondering how you feel about those games.
>>
>>45014817
Agreed actually. Structure is good, free form shit does tend towards circlejerk, but a good DM can take the structure that's there, change it, and it still be structured and fun at the same time.

Now, you don't enjoy your games that way, I don't to an extent, if something should happen, it should happen, barring legitimate shit that might change the outcome and not DM bullshit, but hey, some people enjoy different things, and that's okay too.

Now, let's get back on topic, kay?
>>
>>45014854

> has a mental retardation

I don't think I'm the one with mental retardation here, anon.

Also, I would like a logical justification for ignoring all the rules of a game then still calling a game. Besides "lol it's my game you can't stop me"; that is the justification of a small child. Seriously, I don't mind freeform powerwank, in the same way I don't mind MLP cancer; as long as I don't have to see it, I don't care. But when you completely ignore the rules and say "RULE OF COOL" while swilling Mtn Dew, to justify a CR 2 creature beating the fuck out of a CR 5 creature in a battle it is obviously losing, you are no longer playing the game.

Let me say this once:

If you do not follow the rules to the game, you are not playing the game.

End of story.
>>
>>45014897
>Just wondering how you feel about those games.

They mostly suck, because an RPG's rules generally tend to facillitate the in-game world. Saying "what makes the best story" almost always leads to "what gratifies the players' penises the most?" and ends up devolving into rule of cool bull shit.
>>
File: 1031230_orig.png (741 KB, 524x562) Image search: [Google]
1031230_orig.png
741 KB, 524x562
Pixies! Cute, funny, and a super handy guide to the Feywild.
>>
>>45014920
But Anon
Rule 0 is part of the game
>>
>>45015021

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleZero

> permitted to supersede the rules when the rules would ruin enjoyment and fair play.

> when the rules would ruin enjoyment and fair play.

If you require rule 0 throughout your game, you are a terrible GM. Using is sparingly is fine. I use it sparingly as well, especially when the rules clash with reality.

> While a GM has fiat to exercise Rule Zero at their table at will, they are reminded that excessive arbitrary use of this rule will eventually lead to an empty game table.

So yeah.....
>>
File: desmodu.jpg (209 KB, 400x452) Image search: [Google]
desmodu.jpg
209 KB, 400x452
Can we stop this incessant arguing over asinine bullshit and move on? Ignore the faggots who force their homebrew into this thread, and ignore the people responding to them?

I liked Desmodu's in 3rd edition, sadly 5e is woefully lacking in the good monsters department. The majority are just metallic dragons...
>>
>>45014613
>this is equivalent to having a minor kobold pwn a tarrasque because "muh fun"

>Look up kobold
CR 1/8

>Look up Tarrasque
CR 30

That's a difference of 29 and 7/8ths CR levels, that's 26 and 7/8ths more CR difference than a Blink Dog and Phase Spider, your simile is bullshit.
>>
>>45015137

I don't care. It is an obviously mismatched fight and thus the GM should not have the right to change it. I don't give a fuck about rule 0, that is a privilege that needs to be earned, not a right.
>>
>>45015118
>5e is woefully lacking in the good monsters department.

That's because the devs are lazy fucks who won't release any more Monster Manuals because "muh splat bloat" while ignoring the fact that a Monster Manual has basically zero effect on game balance save for Polymorph.
>>
File: celestial badger.jpg (353 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
celestial badger.jpg
353 KB, 1920x1080
Just did a search, only have 5e because I'm relatively new to tabletop, only been playing about 5 years and started with Savage Worlds and found...

The Celestial Badger. The fuck? I need this in my campaign.
>>
>>45015237
Same guy, just to verify, Celestial Badger isn't Savage Worlds, found him in reference to DnD
>>
>>45015198
They just made a way tobmake money on homebrew, I think they are kicking their feet up at this point.
>>
>>45015308

Exactly my point. If you need any proof that WotC has been overrun by jews, compare the OGL to the current bullshit WotC is trying to push. Greedy fucking bastards. Monte Cook might have been a shit game designer but at least he wasn't a money-grabbing shill.

>>45015237
>>45015266

No one cares.
>>
>>45015237
Older editions had "Celestial" as a template that could be slapped onto any creature.

I think Badger was one of the examples given.
>>
File: fc6dd7abade0beac57fc95058d56aba4.jpg (375 KB, 1200x1471) Image search: [Google]
fc6dd7abade0beac57fc95058d56aba4.jpg
375 KB, 1200x1471
>>45015341
Fuck off cunt, just trying to get the thread back on topic after the bullshit derailment.

Anyway, metallic dragons. I like the idea of a metallic dragon polymorphing into a helpful traveller or something, or maybe even a party finding a young metallic, and helping it out, getting a kind of party mascot. There's a lot of things you can do with these shiny fuckers.
>>
>>45014573
> fun is a buzzword.jpg
>>
Pixels and sprites.
>>
>>45014484
>bogleech
Shit man, I forgot about that guy.

He is diluted himself, not just in social issues, but also in general. As cool as playing as some gross as monster sounds, the average person doesn't want to play as a gross ass monster.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.