[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It is said that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 38
File: terry2_2241265b.jpg (48 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
terry2_2241265b.jpg
48 KB, 620x387
It is said that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken. Do you still speak his name /tg/?
>>
>>47453429
James Randi isn't dead, retard.
>>
>>47453429
GNU Terry Pratchett.
>>
>>47453462
Anthill inside
>>
>>47453429
Yes.
>>
>>47453429
Not really. You guys talk about him a lot though.
>>
>>47453429
You never really forget a guy like that when he dies on your own birthday.
>>
File: tmp_23859-sad owl1813461269.gif (896 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23859-sad owl1813461269.gif
896 KB, 500x750
>>47453598
>You never really forget
But he did.
>>
I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HIS NAME.
>>
>>47453429
Heisenberg.
>>
File: A Fitting End.jpg (359 KB, 989x2197) Image search: [Google]
A Fitting End.jpg
359 KB, 989x2197
>>47453697
2soon

>>47453429
Also, this seems like as good a place as any to ask you guys help me track down a Pratchett quote.

It was in one of the Vimes books, where he's talking about the role of police. The gist of it is that police don't exist to bring justice, they exist to bring order. They're job isn't to sort out who's right and who's wrong, it's to get everyone to quiet down and get off the street instead of having a fight over the hedges. Then there's a joke about how, if Mr. Smith picks up the garden shears and stabs Mr. Jones, then the police have some extra work to do.
>>
>>47453795

It's in Nightwatch But apart from that I don't know where it is
>>
File: Discworld Dwarf.jpg (23 KB, 236x390) Image search: [Google]
Discworld Dwarf.jpg
23 KB, 236x390
>>47453817
That's a good place to start. Thanks, anon. Have a proper dwarf.
>>
>>47453708
You always remember everybody's name, so I don't think it really counts.
>>
File: Why I'm immortalist.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Why I'm immortalist.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
We did have a thread on the 1 year anniversary of his death.
:'(
>>
File: why.png (82 KB, 581x683) Image search: [Google]
why.png
82 KB, 581x683
>>47453749
>>47453865
Was it really that important to change 'matters' to 'counts'? That's wrong anyways, unless you're an autist you stop remembering people's names when they stop being important to you. Try to name your grade 3 class- unless you went to school with all of them throughout your entire basic education, you can't recall them all.
>>
>>47453950
I lawys wanted to forge a sword with that quote written on it.
>>
File: y.jpg (143 KB, 646x1024) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
143 KB, 646x1024
>>47453837
>female dwarves have beards
>>
>>47454015
It's traditional.
The more progressive ones put ribbons in the braids.
>>
File: Dwarf Women.jpg (43 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Women.jpg
43 KB, 500x363
>>47454015
>his waifu doesn't have a beard

>>47454034
Dwarves who have seen the sun should be shunned. Rhys Rhysson is not my Low King.
>>
Over-rated hack, a couple of decent books managed to escape.
>>
>>47454496
And if you could kindly go fuck yourself in the arse with a cactus.
>>
>>47453429
Did he go the assisted dying route in the end?
>>
>>47454541
Don't feed the (you)troll.

Hide (you)troll posts.

Have a better life quality because of it.

>>47454567
No, he died naturally.
>>
>>47454496
>>47454541
>>47454571
Sure is summer in here
>>
>>47454579
Eh, always enjoy using that insult. Had he been a bit more imaginative, I might even have continued...
>>
>>47454587
>an opinion i don't like
>summerfags reeeeee
sure thing kiddo
>>
>>47453950
I plan to run a game where the ultimate BBEGs will be The Auditors. I fully expect they'll get help from Death eventually.
>>
>>47453956
1) Yes it was. For me ayway. It doesn't exactly means teh same thing.
2) C'mon man, was it really that important to bring it up?
3) He was writing in all-cap, thus suggesting he was endorsing the role of Death, who never forget anything.
>>
File: Terry Pratchett's Death.jpg (148 KB, 425x600) Image search: [Google]
Terry Pratchett's Death.jpg
148 KB, 425x600
>>47454691
I'd play it.
>>
I don't get it, do we have to make a continuous call with our combined worldwide voices telling his name so he can not be dead, at the price of his demis if a split second is missed, or does he comes back to life everytime we say his name ?
If so, do we have to tell it regurarly and what is the most acceptable frequency ?
>>
>>47453429
>it is said
It is also said that one in five US congressmen is secretly a duck with a human mask. By me, just now.
You should believe it because IT IS SAIIIID!!
>>
>>47454885
Similar to what was written in Good Omens.
>>
>>47453429
Yes. Benedict Cumberbatch.
>>
>>47454896
I don't remember that, or anything similar, but then Good Omens had a lot of good throwaway lines

Does anyone have the screencap (or possible edit) of the guy getting banned from tg for not liking Pratchett
>>
>>47454753
It's probably gonna come as a surprise, with them working through a proxy. I know some of the people I discussed lurk, so I can't spoil to much. It's more fun if it's a surprise.

But if the wizard Zargothrax reminds you of a campaign, you know and I'd appreciate it if you didn't spoil.
>>
File: Ban Pratchett.jpg (76 KB, 789x329) Image search: [Google]
Ban Pratchett.jpg
76 KB, 789x329
>>47455019
>>
File: mah nigga.jpg (13 KB, 289x292) Image search: [Google]
mah nigga.jpg
13 KB, 289x292
>>47455020
Did you just take your wizard's name from Gloryhammer

anon i love you
>>
>>47455058
Thanks
>>
>>47453429
Had a conversation about him less than an hour ago. Even in death Terry helps me get numbers.
>>
>>47453429
I've read a few of Iain Banks interviews this morning. Still felt like I was being punched in the gut.
>>
File: cdqnjc4p8d4yicvwgxdt.jpg (51 KB, 800x493) Image search: [Google]
cdqnjc4p8d4yicvwgxdt.jpg
51 KB, 800x493
>>47453795
It's Night Watch, p. 308 in my copy.

>'What we gonna do, sarge?' wailed Colon. Ah ... Keep the peace. That was the thing. People often failed to understand what that meant. You'd go to some life-threatening disturbance like a couple of neighbours scrapping in the street over who owned the hedge between their properties, and they'd both be bursting with aggrieved self-righteousness, both yelling, their wives would either be having a private scrap on the side or would have adjourned to a kitchen for a shared pot of tea and a chat, and they all expected you to sort it out. And they could never understand that it wasn't your job. Sorting it out was a job for a good surveyor and a couple of lawyers, maybe. Your job was to quell the impulse to bang their stupid fat heads together, to ignore the affronted speeches of dodgy self-justification, to get them to stop shouting and to get them off the street. Once that had been achieved, your job was over. You weren't some walking god, dispensing finely tuned natural justice. Your job was simply to bring back peace. Of course, if your few strict words didn't work and Mr Smith subsequently clambered over the disputed hedge and stabbed Mr Jones to death with a pair of gardening shears, then you had a different job, sorting out the notorious Hedge Argument Murder. But at least it was one you were trained to do. People expected all kinds of things from coppers, but there was one thing that sooner or later they all wanted: make this not be happening.
>>
I guess I should get around reading him one of these days.
Where do I start, and what am in for?
Are there several series or can I just pick them up in their publication order?
>>
>>47456527
Start with Wyrd Sisters if you have read Macbeth.

If not start with Guards! Guards!.

2nd story series to read should be the Death arc starting with Mort.
>>
File: kvqoC1h.jpg (1017 KB, 2000x3589) Image search: [Google]
kvqoC1h.jpg
1017 KB, 2000x3589
>>47456527
Something like this.
>>
>>47456527
I read them in their publication order (with a couple exceptions) although there are basically four series; the watch series, the rincewind series, the witches series and the death series.

>the rincewind series is essentially a comedic parody of sword and sorcery fantasy, it stars a wizard who can't do any magic who has to get out of dangerous situations and fight unnameable horrors.
>the watch series is about the city guard in Ankh Morpork, essentially detective/crime drama stories, the main books for fleshing out setting lore. Are also sometimes used to express TP's political views.
>The witches, the most standard fantasy in a way, three witches, some kind of villain and trying to stop an evil plan, they're essentially stories about stories, witches power is all based on belief so the stories people tell and believe in play a big part of all those books.
>the death series, books about Death (note the capital D) and family as he goes about his business of reaping souls and getting more involved in human affairs than he really should, if the watch books are political then these ones are more philosophical (and damm quotable)

the rest are standalones and usually serve to add a bit more detail to a certain part of the setting.
>>
>>47456604
>>47456690
Thanks lads.
>>47456627
Goodness. Exactly what I needed though, thanks lad.
>>
>>47456750
The list looks more intimidating than it really is. Then again, most people who read them, read them over the course of decades.

Watch books are probably your best bet, but they move the plot forward a bit fast if you're only reading those.

Rincewind novels are the initial ones, but they tend to be fairly self contained and the universe doesn't quite fit in with itself after it all gets fleshed in later
>>
File: 13-small-gods.jpg (404 KB, 1024x687) Image search: [Google]
13-small-gods.jpg
404 KB, 1024x687
>>47456750
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I read them completely out of order because local libraries didn't have them all in stock and could follow everything fine. I actually started with Lords and Ladies, which even has a little note at the start to say that normally you don't need any background for a discworld book but this one starts where another left off (Witches Abroad) and it still got me hooked. It gave me an incentive to read them in order later for extra context.

My personal favourite is probably Small Gods, which is about organised religion (among other things) at a point some time before the "present" discworld seen in most books.
>>
Saved on the day.
>>
>>47453697
Not until he actually died he didn't. Pratchett's form of Alzheimer's didn't really affect his mind, iirc.
>>
>>47453429
Did it today already, an amusing coincidence.
>>
>>47456932
I still love Small Gods, because it provides new perspective once you re-read it, having read Thief of Time. Lu-Tze may be a silly old sweeper, but he completely changed the course of history in entire regions of the Disc and saved a God's life...by removing a few screws from a device and giving a young acolyte a bonsai tree. That's basically his only actions in the book, and it completely shifted history for who knows how many people.
And that is why the Sweeper deserves all the reverence the History Monks give him.
>>
>>47457003
IIRC his long term memory wasn't affected. His short term might have been.
>>
>>47457062
I have to say, I started noticing a shift really quickly. Making Money felt just a little bit off-target, just a few degrees off-keel. Unseen Academials felt like his really early work before Discworld, which is good and bad, but it didn't feel Discworld-y. I never even finished Snuff. I remember going "Oh come the fuck on" at the Summoning Dark scene and putting it down not too long after. I'm not going to read Raising Steam or Shepherd's Crown, I'm just going to stay where I jumped off and remember him for the writer he was.
>>
>>47456821
unless you're me and yearly re-read the entire thing, beginning to end...
>>
>>47457127
Reading Raising Steam was honestly really sad, and not because of the content. Everyone sounded the same for one thing, and the distinctive voices of all the series characters had always been one of the Discworld books strengths. I've not yet read Shepherd's Crown either, but supposedly its better.

Nation isn't Discworld, but it is one of his best later books.
>>
>>47453429
Tolkien?
>>
>>47456527
His main work is the discworld series, about a fantasy world that's kind of a parody, but also a very strong world with stories in it's own right.
The earlier books tend to be more straightforward satires of other stories

The series is broken down into several character group based sub-series, though characters do cross over a bit (the most obvious example being Death, who cameos in all but one book, though Death also has a sub-series)

The sub-series are: The Wizards, which sends up generic fantasy, first book The Colour of Magic, The Witches, which does Shakespeare, first book Wyrd Sisters (though there is Equal Rites before that), Death, which is kind of its own thing dealing with anthropomorphic personifications, first book Mort, and The Watch, which has police procedurals in a fantasy city, first book Guards Guards. There's also a few standalone books, and I'm sure I've missed at least one sub-series
There's a lot, but they really don't have to be read in order at all
>>
My favourite Discworld book is Carpe Jugulum, just because of Mightily Oats.

At the time in my life when I read it, I really needed a character like him: a man who earnestly wishes to do good, but is wracked with doubt over what "good" even means. A man paralyzed by his own critical thinking, who just needed to stop worrying and believe.

It was good to know that someone out there understood what I was going through, at least in part.
>>
>>47457385
I had something similar going on with Brutha and Om. As I get older I find I understand Vimes' wound-up middleaged anger more and more.
>>
>>47457596
>tfw as I get older I feel more and more like Sgt. Colon
>>
>>47457625
Do you have a Nobby? That would help.
>>
>>47453429
People say lots of things that aren't true.
>>
>>47457667
I do, but all it means is I have someone to hang out with while we both work hard at looking like we're working hard.
>>
>>47457735
Thank you for that necessary dash of 4chan autism, bruv.
>>
>>47457765
Anytime.
>>
>>47455099
I do more than that.

Alright, any of my possible players, stop reading. I'll namefag so you won't by mistake, you'll know. I'm gonna trust you on this one.

The title of the campaign will be Space 2992: Resurrection of the Chaos Wizards.
A thousand years after the immortal Zargothrax escaped into a separate dimension, with Angus McFife XIII in his heels. The rift tore open and spread all over the galaxy, destroying much technology and collapsing many of the multiverse into a horrifying amalgam. The old Earth and The Great Kingdom of Fife now separate shattered pieces, the wizard and the heir fight. Using his last power, Angus McFife seal Zargothrax using the very rift he created and the Neutron Star of the Hootsman to seal him away forever. And then promptly dies.

Life continues. The intergalactic kingdom collapses as their heir disappears and communications and travel break down. The majority of humanity is flung to the separate earth known as New Fife, and the old is dubbed Fulcrum, as insane astral demons haunt its shards.

People start to adjust to the strangeness that is the new world. But it is not stable. Rifts open and close at random. Some stick around for thousands of years. Some open one day and is gone the next. Some lead to your neighbor. Some lead to ancient ruins on Mars. All are dangerous but possibly profitable, getting some of the wonders of the old world or the miracles of something completely new.

But the dark prophecies of Anstruther predict that the Chaos Sorcerer will rise again, infinitely more powerful and bring on the end of the universe. For in his eternal search for power, Zargothrax has found possibly the most powerful patrons, the Gray Wardens...
>>
>>47454600
I always found "fuck off the edge of my dick", to work quite well.
>>
>>47454798
It's more to the sense that each of us have different memories of Sir Pratchett and his work and that our collective memory creates a sort of 'penultimate' mirror-image. Like, take the average of every thought ever had of the person and that average is the person. Also, if you believe in him hard enough, he becomes a god.
>>
>>47457127
I actually enjoyed snuff more than Unseen Academicals. UA just felt disjointed every page I read. And the ending felt completely out of place to me.
>>
>>47453429
He focused too much on Vimes, von Lipwing and Aching (easily the most boring main characters of the series), his last few novels were fucking awful, and his senility led to the idiotic, brain dead decision to greenlight commisioning the TV dramas (all of which were total shit).

Anyone who hero worships this guy needs to get their fucking head checked, possibly for Alzheimer's. The Last Hero was probably the last "decent" novel, and even that pales in comparison to earlier works like Eric or Sorcery, which in turn were pretty mediocre fantasy pastiche novels.
>>
>>47457757
Sounds like a good days work to me.
>>
>>47460608
Greenlighting the TV dramas wasn't the alzheimer's though. He just felt that anyone who wanted to adapt his work should get a fair chance. As long as they didn't piss on the source-material, he was fine with it. And all the rest is kinda just unsubstantiated opinions, but whatever, you have the right to think that way.
>>
>>47456527
I read the small gods first, then proceed to reading in publication order. I think it works better this way because there are always bunch of references to previous books.
Also, he wrote a few non-discworld books, those are very good too.
>>
>>47460608
You have the right to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.Enjoy your pointless rage.
>>
>>47457002
I have not read his book yet, except for a cook book, but that makes me really sad.
>>
>>47460608
>Eric or Sorcery
Eric was okay, but sourcery was passable at best - it's also the book he least liked, having been written only because the publishers wanted the next Rincewind story, in direct continuation.
>>
>>47457209
Shepard's Crown is better.
I honestly wasn't sure about a Tiffany Aching book being the last one he wrote, but it works - death and coping with it was always a big part of witches, and you can tell that he knew he was close to the end from it. Much better than Snuff for the serious stuff, and definitely, definitely better than Raising Steam
>>
I hadn't read his books in years, and decided to start again in publication order that year. I was reading "Mort" when I got the news. It was...appropriate.
>>
>>47457209
Yeah. I kind of got the feeling reading it that he knew it was going to be his last proper discworld book from the word go, and he was desperate to try and get as much into it as he could, but he just didn't have the skills to pull it off like he wanted to.

It was better than his last few entries, but for his swan song he deserved better.
>>
>>47461892
I pity the editor of that books. Because you know things are going wrong, but you also know the man can no longer fix them, but you don't want to change them yourself because you don't want to be the one responsible for changing one of the last things this man wrote.

>better than his last few entries
I thought Snuff was better, though both are better than Unseen Academicals.
>>
>>47460349
can i please be in your campaign? preeeety pleaaase? ill mail cookies and poutine to you from canada.

Although just to mention that gloryhammer did say what the plot goes on to wich is and i quote: Next album takes place in dystopian alternate past reality. Zargothrax arrived through the space portal earlier than Angus, and has mastered time travel to become evil overlord of the universe. He also rides a dinosaur with laser eyes. Angus McFife arrives and finds Ralathor (don't ask how he got there), who tells him of the Fate of this reality. Together they build the original Hootsman cyborg clone army from the genetic stock of Dundax (the founder of Dundee), and send the hootsclones off to every parallel universe with the mission of defending space and time (this includes the Hootsman we know and love from albums 1 and 2). Meanwhile, Zargothrax has corrupted the Knights of Crail by stabbing Proletius with the Knife of Evil(TM). Eventually the force of justice prevails, and Angus attacks Zargothrax with an army of good (I.e. Not undead) unicorns, and defeats him finally for all eternity. However in the chaos of the struggle, Angus is stabbed by the Knife of Evil, and instead of giving in to its power, HE FUCKING KILLS HIMSELF.
The end " source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PowerMetal/comments/3opx19/angus_mcfife_gloryhammer/cw1q1pm
>>
>>47462800
Man, I'm going to have to re-read Unseen Academicals at some point, people give it a lot more stick than I recall being due.
It wasn't amazing, but it was your fairly standard "X gets introduced/developed in Ankh-Morpork", with the wizards in the background and a bit of Romeo and Juliet parody - not as sharp as the Witches might be, but not done terribly.
>>
File: MapaMundodisco.jpg (141 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
MapaMundodisco.jpg
141 KB, 1024x768
So we are here now, eh.
Is there a better quality scan for this?
>>
>>47463010
it was too confusing. None of the individual story lines were that bad, but there was the Romeo and Juliet story, and the wizard soccer story, and the pretty girl/ugly girl story, and the fashion scene story, and the sports star from a bad neighborhood story, and the orc story, and the ugly girl orc love story.
While there was overlap and mixing of these stories, they never felt cohesive. It always felt like we were bouncing all over the place.
>>
>>47453429
Im fucking glad Gygax is dead.
>>
File: veternari2.jpg (301 KB, 550x906) Image search: [Google]
veternari2.jpg
301 KB, 550x906
>>
File: veternari3.jpg (62 KB, 550x1084) Image search: [Google]
veternari3.jpg
62 KB, 550x1084
>>
File: vimes1.jpg (109 KB, 536x1110) Image search: [Google]
vimes1.jpg
109 KB, 536x1110
>>
File: vimes2.jpg (183 KB, 380x590) Image search: [Google]
vimes2.jpg
183 KB, 380x590
>>
File: vimes8.jpg (16 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
vimes8.jpg
16 KB, 300x360
>>
File: rincewind1.jpg (110 KB, 551x800) Image search: [Google]
rincewind1.jpg
110 KB, 551x800
>>
>>47463407
... Yeah, I can kinda see that. It certainly had a lot of threads, and though there was always at least one link to the others it could certainly do better.

To me at least it still beats Snuff, and (especially) Raising Steam - all of them have somewhat weak plots, but UA (to me, anyway) had more memorable and funny moments.
>>
File: unseenacademy.jpg (232 KB, 1054x766) Image search: [Google]
unseenacademy.jpg
232 KB, 1054x766
>>
File: anhk-morpork.jpg (803 KB, 3000x3071) Image search: [Google]
anhk-morpork.jpg
803 KB, 3000x3071
>>
>>47463700
Why was the librarian an orangutan again?
>>
>>47454015
Its called classic fantasy. Read some tolkien. You beardless elf
>>
>>47463974
Accident in the library during Light Fantastic caused it, and an appreciation for simple living and hand-feet kept him that way.
>>
>>47463974
Accident in the first book, the one people probably told you to skip.
He stayed that way because >>47464025 and because being an orangutan proved surprisingly useful in being a librarian at the academy.
>>
>>47464074
>>47464025
These - tomes of lore man was never meant to know are less of a bother for an ourang oitine
>>
>>47453429
Literally who?
>>
>>47463974
accident, then he decided he preferred it
>>
>>47457127
>>47457209
Raising Steam wasn't outright horrible imo, a bit out of character at points but still overall a sound story marred by the degradation of the stories. Snuff had a few similar issues but it's still decent-ish if a bit below average for the disc books.

Now the last Science of the Discworld book, Judgement Day, is the only Pratchett book I consider to be actually shit, and I really enjoyed the other ones. It has everyone acting completely out of character, ranting about religion and a complete mary sue character from the real world. It genuinely infuriated me and i'm not even sure if it was Alzheimer's that made something so incoherent or if it was the co-writers. Pratchett's "voice" was simply gone in that book.
>>
>>47464442
The Science of Discworld series was never good, IMO. I didn't like them right from the get-go; even just reading the story and not the essays, they felt very much like they were trying to send a message, even more than regular Pterry books.

Raising Steam was alright, but the ending really fell apart for me. I remember reading it the first time and, for the first time in a Pratchett book, I was confused about what was happening because the writing was unclear.
>>
So what system would you guys use to run Discworld?
I sort of lean toward old school D&D but at the same time feel classes require too much work for all the silly stuff perfect for the Disc.
>>
File: GURPS Discworld.jpg (27 KB, 260x341) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Discworld.jpg
27 KB, 260x341
>>47464596
GURPS Discworld.

Written in part by Terry, written so that you can play schmucks getting swept up by events like the best Discworld stories, the only real stench of GURPS is in the character descriptions using their keyword system that even Pratchett couldn't make sound good.

I would also never run Discworld, because I know I'm not as clever as Terry and I don't want to let the table down and spoil my own love of Discworld
>>
>>47464547
It needed another 3 round of editing
>>
>>47453429
Definitely.
>>
>>47463700
So who are theses all suppose to be?
Left to right I recognize;
>?
>The Dean.
>Librarian.
>Ridcully
>?
>The Burser.
>Ponder Stibbons.
>?
>>
>>47453429
Who?
>>
File: machoke on my dick.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
machoke on my dick.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>47454015
>elf females have penises
It's called fantasy for a reason
>>
>>47467628
I think that the one on the right is the Lecturer in Recent Runes.
>>
>>47463700
They don't make wizards like they used to. When did we get into this whole young dashing action heroes thing?
>>
>>47468022
Ah right, Runes. Good call.

>>47468069
I think Ridcully is about on par with most adventuring wizards.
Kills anything given the chance.
>>
>>47468185
Ridcully is a fucking level 40 wizzard with Wis as his dump stat, high int, high dex and high str, low con because of his age (In lords and ladies he adimited that he cant cast teleportation spell as often as he used to because he gets tierd from them)
>>
>>47467628
>>47468022
The one left over then must be the Chair in Indefinite Studies.
>>
>>47453429
Nope, just his nickname. Guess he dead, yo.
>>
File: 9cdc74_4676325.jpg (101 KB, 1575x795) Image search: [Google]
9cdc74_4676325.jpg
101 KB, 1575x795
>>47453429
RIP in peppercinis, Dad

fuck you, OP
>>
>>47468407
There's still the last guy, he must be the Senior Wrangler.
>>
>>47453795
Aw, damn you Anon. I literally started crying, big ugly sobs, over that picture. Sir Pratchett's books are the only thing that got me through five years of my life and I still can't get over this big hole in my life.

Thank you.
>>
The witches series was always my favourite. What was the card game called, Cripple Mr Onion?
>>
>>47463700
Why there is a monkey standing near wizards?
>>
>>47453444
Its terry Pratchett you tool.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156
>>
>>47453429
His name is Robert Paulson
>>
>>47469581
That's the Librarian.
>>
>>47469581
Ape
A common mistake
People generally don't make it twice
>>
Where is his meteoric iron sword?
>>
File: Pratchett Sword.jpg (133 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Pratchett Sword.jpg
133 KB, 450x300
>>47469976
Presumably his daughter has it
>>
>>47470415
He should have been buried with it.
>>
>>47456627
Is there a short story anthology ebook or on Google play?

Also should I watch the movies and plays before or after reading the books?
>>
>>47470795
I don't know if there's an anthology, but all of the short stories (iirc) can be found online for free. He put them on l-space, and there's other copies elsewhere. Just search the title.

And it's your choice about when you watch the movies. I never have and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
>>
>>47470674
I'd definitely get into grave robbing if he had been
>>
>>47470674
>burying a good star-iron blade

What the fuck dude? Seriously, what is wrong with you?

That sword must become an heirloom of the Pratchett line.
>>
>>47471006
Please, Rhianna isn't worthy of it. Put it in his ship, let him go to Avalon, and come back ready to take it up again.
>>
>>47456690
Rice wind stories are about being weak and genre savvy yet forced to go along despite knowing it's going to end badly because it's the right thing to do. And saving the day not by being a hero but by being the person that's there, doing what he can even if you don't think it will matter to the world because it matters to you.

Vines series is about being a Lawful Good Paladin. Straight up, the crimes themselves are just a way for Pratchett to work in social commentary and play silly buggers. You can see this in the asides and references thrown out to what Vimes does all the time. Like when they arrested the man who abused his dog, or how lucky it was that Vimes wasn't alone with the perp when they found the little girls shoe covered in blood. I feel that Vimes getting the Wandering Dark wasn't terrible mary sue but a statement that the Wandering Dark already exists in people and that is what they struggle against. All that happened was that now it had a name. Carrot is the counterpoint to Vimes, a man who is intrinsically good and develops into someone who makes others want to be good because it's rather terrifying when he implies what could happen if he were to follow their code instead.

The Witches aren't just about belief. I mean, clearly that's part of their power. But the absolute core is that witches decide and act. They make choices that define their beliefs. It's like the old saying, it's not power that's important but control.

The Death series are more about stories. The stories we tell ourselves that make things from nothing. Justice, mercy, identities and groups like in Rock and Roll, history itself. That's why the arbitrators are the enemy because they insist that only what is real can exist, and that only what can be measured objectively is real.

Your interpretation isn't wrong, but I feel there is more to it than that. You described accurately what is in the books, but not completely I feel what they are about.
>>
>>47471039
I liked Overlord. It was no Discworld and was not without big flaws but it was a fun game.
>>
>>47453865
> You always remember everybody's name, so I don't think it really counts.
I personally do not. I cannot even remember my old friends and acquitances from school now. I switched school a couple of times though.
>>
>>47471111
>schools
Fix.
>>
>>47471058
>it's rather terrifying when he implies what could happen if he were to follow their code instead

Just curious but source on this? It sounds like something that later Carrot would theorycraft about but I don't recall where.
>>
>>47469581
> Why there is a monkey standing near wizards?
It is their Librarian. And do not all him "monkey", it is a mistake that can make you end up with broken bones.
>>
You have used this word again
>>
>>47471193
> You have used this word again
I quoted it for a reason. And Librarian isn't around here anyway.
>>
>>47456488
Night Watch is an absolute treasure trove of great lines.
>>
File: 1398469088671.png (531 KB, 441x705) Image search: [Google]
1398469088671.png
531 KB, 441x705
>>47460608
>Vimes
> most boring main characters of the series
>this whole post
>>
>>47457127
>I have to say, I started noticing a shift really quickly.
A lot of that came from him switching from typing to dictation. Makes a bigger stylistic difference than people think.

Also the overall feel was... well, Discworld had been growing up for a long time, but it finally felt like it was growing old. Not in a negative sense, but you could tell the difference between adult maturity and elder maturity, if that makes sense.

Still damn good though.
>>
I really liked how he handled Elves. One faction doing chilling for eternity in a sweat lodge, the other having fun with the mortals.
>>
>>47472035
>you could tell the difference between adult maturity and elder maturity, if that makes sense

It does. The perspective of the main characters started switching. They weren't the young men and women getting swept up by exciting times anymore. They were more sedate, watching others getting swept up. It wasn't Vimes walking the beat anymore, it was Vimes thinking about walking the beat while Cheery, Carrot, and Angua did the legwork of the plot.
>>
>>47453429
Talked about Vetinari with a friend earlier this day.
>>
File: Discworld Mappe.jpg (1 MB, 2770x2818) Image search: [Google]
Discworld Mappe.jpg
1 MB, 2770x2818
>>47463202
>>
>>47457229
Someone post the images of Pterry wearing the shirt, you ALL know the one I mean.
>>
File: Dn8QOuN.jpg (50 KB, 736x638) Image search: [Google]
Dn8QOuN.jpg
50 KB, 736x638
>>47473323
Okay.
>>
>>47473970
That is a brilliant shirt.
>>
>>47453429
Definitely not. I cut wait for people to forget about him.
>>
File: lilac-bush1.jpg (1 MB, 1700x1129) Image search: [Google]
lilac-bush1.jpg
1 MB, 1700x1129
How many of you remembered?
>>
>>47474284
See how they rise up
>>
File: words cant hurt me.png (527 KB, 838x630) Image search: [Google]
words cant hurt me.png
527 KB, 838x630
>>47474284
It's a shame lilacs don't bloom in March. It'd be fitting.

>>47474336
You can't just post that one line. Here:
>All the little angels rise up, rise up.
>All the little angels rise up high!
>How do they rise up, rise up, rise up?
>How do they rise up, rise up high?
>They rise heads up, heads up, heads up, they rise heads up, heads up high!

>This is repeated with hands, arms, knees, and finally arse up.
>>
>>47454541
>arse
Shouldn't you be in school, or did it let out for the day?
>>
File: lu-tze.jpg (45 KB, 634x500) Image search: [Google]
lu-tze.jpg
45 KB, 634x500
Not enough love for best monk in this thread.

What the fuck is rule one, /tg/?
>>
>>47477039
"Be careful of small men with brooms."
>>
>>47477120
dam straight.
>>
>>47453429
That's a retarded saying.
>>
>>47477584
It's a sentiment that's literally as old as the Iliad familia
>>
>>47477616
Fairly certain retardation predates them both.
>>
>>47477642
What's retarded about the idea of wanting to live forever through the stories of others?
>>
>>47477754
It's not even that you want to live forever, it's that other people keep the memory of you alive.
>>
>>47477779
You're calling the concept of having a legacy retarded. Take a moment and think it through.
>>
I reread Mort recently.

When the first sentence in the about the author section says Terry "is still not dead" it gets you a bit.
>>
>>47477584
It's like, the second most important point in Epic of Gilgamesh.
>>
File: Look At That.png (182 KB, 440x465) Image search: [Google]
Look At That.png
182 KB, 440x465
>>47477797
No, I'm not. I'm not the person you're upset towards, I'm correcting you because you think that it matters whether or not someone wants to live forever, but that's not what the saying means.
>>
>>47477797

I mean, the saying isn't true. Nigga's dead as hell. Legacies aren't worth pursuing, you'll never enjoy the fruits of a legacy.
>>
>>47477779
Are you railing against the idea of remembering dead people or the idea of remembering Pratchett?
>>
>>47477834
You said it yourself. It's not YOU that stays alive, it's your MEMORY. Death can't be avoided no matter what, so that's the closest thing to immortality humans can achieve - simply remaining relevant after death
>>
>>47477779
>>47477870
I was >>47477779 and I get you now famillia, my reading comprehension switched off for a few minutes
>>
>>47477642
Aye, you're proving it to us
>>
>>47477870
>You said it yourself.

I'm just butting in, that was the first comment I made in your argument. Should have clarified, sorry.

That said, wanting to live forever through a legacy is still stupid. It isn't immortality, it isn't even comparable to immortality. Dead is dead.

Maybe reading Marcus Aurelius turned me into a killjoy but he's right.
>>
>>47477900
I was >>47477754 rather
>>
>>47477914
It's the closest we can get though, future science bullshit aside
>>
I used to tell myself that I really cared about Terry Pratchett. Considering that I stared at this topic for like ten seconds before I remembered that he died, and then felt absolutely nothing, I guess I was lying.

Must have been one of those teenage phases.
>>
>>47477930

You'd be closer to immortality by going for a jog every day and improving your cardiovascular health instead of trying to get people to remember you for a thousand years.
Alexander the Great might be 'immortalized' by his actions but he died young and, being dead, does not enjoy the fruits of his 'immortality'. What's the point?
>>
>>47477914
>>47477978
Stoicism is kind of silly and completely impossible to follow properly, same as achieving immortality, so I pay it no mind.
>>
>>47477914
Im curious what all you "legacies are dumb" people think you should instead spend your time on. Do you actually have an answer or are you just arguing because you feel cool arguing against legacies? Im pretty sure Alexander the Great would find you laughable.
>>
>>47478021

I guess they're arguing that you should instead devote your life to, well, your life, and get the most out of it instead of caring about something you won't be there for to enjoy after you die.
>>
>>47478021
>what ... you should instead spend your time on
Certainly not 4chan, that's for sure.
Yet we are little people of frail will...
>>
>>47478021
He says he read Meditations, so he'd probably answer from a Stoic standpoint, which on many ways is the "just b yourself bro" of philosophy.
>>
>>47478039
...What if you actually enjoy whatever turns out to be your legacy?
>>
>>47477999

>and completely impossible to follow properly

In what way? It's probably impossible to become a "sage" and 100% embody all stoic values, but saying it's not worth it is like saying it's not worth writing a book unless you're the single most popular author in the world.

>>47478021

>Im curious what all you "legacies are dumb" people think you should instead spend your time on.

Living? Enjoying your life, instead of concerning yourself with what people will think of you long after you're dead?

Alexander the Great isn't doing much laughing seeing as he's fuckin' dead.
>>
>>47478059

If you happen to be one of those people who'll be remembered for doing what they loved after their death, then you don't actually need to work towards a legacy. It will happen as you enjoy your life.

And even then, you won't be there to enjoy that legacy after you die. The value was in doing it while you lived.
>>
>>47478059

If your legacy is a byproduct of the way you live your life that's one thing. If you become world renowned for what you've done, because you wanted to do it, there's nothing wrong with that.

If you spend your life with the goal of being remembered, and tailoring your behavior for maximum legacy, what's the point? It's like spending all your money on a really nice coffin.
>>
>>47478068
Stoicism then would say pursuing Stoicism is on itself useless
>>
>>47478107

I don't really get what you mean. How would Stoicism say pursuing Stoicism is pointless?
>>
>>47478154
Stoic ideals are completely inhuman. You won't live up to them, or come even remotely close to it, no matter how hard you tried (and trying hard would already be besides the point). There's no reason to think anyone ever has, and no indication that you individually will ever be able to, let alone be happier because of it.
>>
>>47477914
Everyone and everything has a time to die, m8.

It;s not yourself that you think about when you leave a legacy, it's about those that come after.
Sure your corpse may not get much solace out of it, but the man who is racing towards becoming one will, and he can die content knowing that his life wasn't for naught.
>>
>>47478223

>Stoic ideals are completely inhuman.

How? Give me an example of an inhuman stoic ideal. The entire basic concept of stoicism is to minimize negative emotions and be rational.

>ou won't live up to them, or come even remotely close to it, no matter how hard you tried (and trying hard would already be besides the point).

Again, the ideal is just that, an ideal. Saying it's not worth it just because you can't meet the ideal is like saying that you shouldn't exercise because you'll never win the Olympics.

Anyway the arguments about stoicism are a little tangential in the first place, it branched off of the argument that the pursuit of a legacy for legacy's sake is a pointless waste of time and is not even "the closest thing" to immortality. You gain nothing from popularity when you're dead. You might as well throw all your savings you accumulate in life for a solid gold coffin, it's pretty much the same thing. You would be better served living a fruitful, healthy and happy life than you would be endeavouring to be remembered after you die, rationally speaking.
>>
>>47478317
>It;s not yourself that you think about when you leave a legacy, it's about those that come after.

That's a little different, though. If you spend your life in the pursuit of bettering humanity (or even as simply as benefiting your children) your legacy is a byproduct of that. It's not the end goal.
>>
Nothing happens for a reason, everything is arbitrary and meaningless, just do whatever makes you happy my guys
>>
>>47478319
>The entire basic concept of stoicism is to minimize negative emotions and be rational.
This sounds reasonable, but in a real-world setting it doesn't fly when you include to what extent you're supposed to do this. You can't be happy just because of the sake of it. You will not always be able to not lust after exterior riches just by willing yourself not to, or simply stop feeling negative emotions because you'd rather feel something else, nor be rational about everything
>>
>>47478319
>The entire basic concept of stoicism is to minimize negative emotions and be rational.
I'm no expert but doesn't that mean a psychopath would be perfect stoic?
>>
>>47478453

Yeah, it's not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be a philosophy of life. You don't just stop one day and say "I'm a stoic now" and never feel envy or anger ever again, and no stoic has purported that it's as simple as that. Stoics didn't think you could just banish all negative emotion never to be seen again, stoicism was meant to be a toolset to help counter them, and to be prepared for them when they come. The ideal of the sage would be sort of like a Christian without sin. Everyone should strive for it, nobody was expected to achieve it.

A lot of the time being a little reflective goes a long way. It can be practised casually, it's not like forcing yourself to live an ascetic life. Besides, no philosophy needs to be "100% take it or leave it", sometimes there's stuff that resonates and stuff that doesn't. I think we got on the subject of Stoicism from Marcus Aurelius basically saying "don't fret over a legacy because you can't take it with you when you're dead" and I think he's right.
>>
>>47478536
Epicureanism is where it's at
>>
>>47478509

In some respects, I guess, though stoicism didn't idealize being antisocial and emotionless, they just idealized not letting shit get to you. In a lot of stoic stuff there were still elements of being dutiful and helpful to others.

Sorry though, I derailed the shit out of the thread and I'm not an expert on stoicism either, there are just elements of it that I think are pretty good.

>>47478606

Epicurus said a lot of really agreeable stuff too. I need to read more into it in the future.
>>
>>47478536
>Everyone should strive for it, nobody was expected to achieve it.
>It can be practised casually, it's not like forcing yourself to live an ascetic life
This is what I have trouble with. If it's impossible to reach and you're either going your life longing for perfection or just ignore the impossible parts and make the whole affair pointless. Self-discipline is helpful, yes, but to always put it under the umbrella of Stoicism is misguided. One is a reasonable goal that will tangibly improve your life, the other is an unreachable ideal

You can't take anything with you when you're dead. It's a moot point. Everything you do is irrelevant on another scale or metric, no matter how great the deed or how happy or miserable you were.
>>
>>47478644
Honestly, I (a layman) see Epicureanism and Stocism as being pretty similar in practice.
In order to derive the most pleasure from life, most people must fulfil their duty to others.
Also, most people feel an inherent need to not be a dick to others with no reason
>>
>>47464074
I think it was the beginning of the second
>>
>>47478665

Stoicism is just one of various ways you can be self disciplined, it's just a philosophy of life. I'm not trying to say it's the best there is or that everyone should do it. It just gives you, as it were, a rulebook for you to refer to if you're not sure how to handle something. I think most of what I've read from prominent stoics has been really reasonable advice. I don't think it needs to be followed like a strict religion in order to have merit as a philosophy.
The ideal stoic is meant to be a compass. It's the sort of "what would jesus do" scenario. You might imagine yourself in a scenario as being a perfect stoic, and consider how you'd handle the problem. It doesn't mean you'll be successful every time, or that you need to be, it simply gives you a guideline.
>>
>>47478726

I do know that Seneca refers to Epicurus as being in an "enemy camp" but he still frequently quotes and agrees with him. I think there's a lot of carry-over between the two.
>>
Fuck me, I remember getting one of his books out of the school library when I had just started secondary school.

I remember reading about how the river of Ankh-Morpork was so polluted with magical run off that the guard could draw a chalk outline of a murder victim onto it and it would barely have passed under the bridge by the afternoon.

And I just remember sitting there, suddenly so very glad that I could read. I'd never actually realised, in all the English lessons I'd skipped or slept through, how fucking precious it really is to be able to read.

To have someone put some marks on some paper using a combination of twenty seven symbols, and make me cry and laugh and smile and think about justice and morality and the nature of the world around us.
>>
Sure, when people ask me who the most overrated piece of shit of all time is his name comes up a lot.
>>
>>47479037

Gotta wonder who your favorite author is with a shitty attitude like this, anon.
>>
>>47453429
Nah, he ded son.
>>
>>47479090
He obviously loves Ayn Rand, and the esteemed fantasy transcriber Terry "The Stare" Goodkind.

That or more GRRM faggotry.
>>
File: vimes.jpg (102 KB, 547x750) Image search: [Google]
vimes.jpg
102 KB, 547x750
>>
>>47477754
Because it's a retarded idea, that words would make a difference of any kind in death.
>>
>>47477907
Are you suggesting that the memory of me has made me live from pre-Illiad times to now?
>>
>>47484285
They matter in every death. The stories of your life and death will matter to those who remember you. Those who are forgotten have no influence, their lives were meaningless. Those remembered impact those who remember them, their life matters so long as it's remembered. Though their life has ended, their life creates a ripple effect throughout history, their lifes work continues for 100s of years if not more.
>>
>>47484390
There are entire kingdoms that have been entirely forgotten, was everyone and everything in them meaningless?
>>
>>47484577
No. In some small way you remember them now. You can't recall their names or their faces because you never knew them, but you know they must have existed. And you're remembering these maybe people to argue with another nameless and faceless man on the internet.
>>
>>47484390

This can be done through action, you don't need to spend your life trying to have a legacy to create a "ripple effect", you just need to do something.

Besides, why does it matter to you after you die?
>>
>>47453429
Yes

To bash his talentless daughter for ruining Tomb Raider series.
>>
>>47478899
Speaking of the river Ankh, one of the stranger pieces of fanfiction I read had someone dropping a personality inducer into it and it coming to life.
>>
>>47471246
Does L-Space lead into the internet?
>>
>>47472097
>fun
Yes...fun...that is definitely a word that may fit into what they were doing...depending on how you look at it.
>>
>>47453429

>Do you still speak his name /tg/?

i dont realy, not habitualy

it just happens that others come and speak it to me, ''have you read'' and im like yea... and we talk about his books, and all that stuff

>For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
>>
>>47471006
But anon, Pratchett line ended with sir Terry. His daughter won't continue the line, because she's a female. That ends the line, no matter what.

>>47471064
Try Tomb Raider reboot. You will understand why she's not worthy.
>>
>>47468564
Anon, there is no hole. Those books are still there. Everything he accomplished in life, and everything he shared with his readers, remains done.
>>
>>47453429
Not really. His final decade was just painfully bad and the previous one was mediocre. He didn't wrote anything half-decent since Jingo.

Not to mention he was in general fantasy pastiche writer, so reading few of his books is like reading them all, that's how much variety they contain.
>>
>>47453429
His only interesting character was Lord Vetinari, because he managed NOT to turn him into one-dimensional cut-out with time progression.
>>
>>47488273
/lit/ everybody, tell me, did applauding his death make you feel good?
>>
>>47488293
... what?

First of all, why would anyone applaud anyone's death? Second, please tell me how not enjoying dramatically decreased quality of an author makes you /lit/. And it started to decline long before Alzheimer
>>
>>47470885
You are a monster.

Never change, anon. The world needs its villains.
>>
>>47477834
>Legacies aren't worth pursuing
Does not follow from
>you'll never enjoy the fruits of a legacy

Can you fill in the missing steps of the logic, here?
>>
>>47478089
>If you become world renowned for what you've done, because you wanted to do it, there's nothing wrong with that.
Isn't that what Pratchett did?
>>
>>47477797
Completely unrelated anon, but yeah, concept of having legacy IS retarded. Nobody cares, the moment you die. And if they didn't profit on it when you were alive, while you've made it damn sure everyone knows they were able to profit thanks to you, you are just an insignificant footnote in annals of history.
Nobody gives a fuck and wanking about legacy is so 17th century.
>>
>>47453429
Nearly every damn day. No writer or creator of any form of media has had more of an impact on my life.
>>
>>47455019
I have never seen a ban more deserved.
>>
>>47488400
Go tie your opinion around your neck and hang yourself with it.
>>
>>47457037
"And for want of a battle a kingdom was lost, all for the want of a nail"
>>
>>47453429
I re-read his books annually, sometimes more than that. I don't ever see that stopping.
>>
File: 1423074639403.jpg (20 KB, 246x164) Image search: [Google]
1423074639403.jpg
20 KB, 246x164
>>47457204
>tfw you haven't touched any of his books again since his death

I can't bring myself to do it, knowing there will never be a new one, ever... ;_;
>>
>>47460608
>He focused too much on Vimes, von Lipwing and Aching (easily the most boring main characters of the series)

/lit/ is here
>>
>>47457204
>>47491419
I can't see rereading the entire thing annually. I haven't done that with any book series since I was a kid, partly because of time and partly because I can remember the whole story and best parts. Over a year I might grab one or two off the shelf to go through again, but doing the entirety would kill it for me.
>>
He was a lousy writer, and his fans are unbearable. The worst combinations of neckbeards who think they/he are clever and funny.
>>
>>47488872
>People unable to grasp how insignificant they are
Sad
>>
>>47474016

Perhaps. But it seems a bit odd to be wearing a wool sweater underneath it.
>>
File: WAKE ME UP.jpg (17 KB, 605x146) Image search: [Google]
WAKE ME UP.jpg
17 KB, 605x146
>>47453429
I still occasionally check for new discworld books, realize he's dead, and feel sad every so often.

RIP Terry Pratchett.
Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.