[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to know what you guys prefer pathfinder or 5e, I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I want to know what you guys prefer pathfinder or 5e, I have the core stuff for both but am at a point where I really only want to invest in one or the other, I haven't played 5 yet and have only played a little of pathfinder.
>>
>>45007072
> Playing D&D

. . . . . no.
>>
>>45007072
play whatever your group wants to play. 5 is more balanced
>>
5e is likely a better game. PF has more content, but most of it is unbalanced and broken with the fucked up legacy of 3.5 plus Paizo's own incompetence or biases (like making Monks even worse.)

That being said, I don't think 5e is a great game. I can understand the appeal to an extent, but it doesn't really have any innovation or creativity in its design. It's an incredible safe, standard game designed to feel like D&D while being slightly less jankballs than most other alternatives.

I'd recommend looking into other games, even if you also play D&D. The nice thing about other RPGs is that they have everything you need to run and play them in one book, something D&D seems to actively avoid (probably to milk more money out of you.)
>>
>>45007072
5e is definitely better for me, but I'm not sure how long it will be until book bloat turns it into a mountain of classes and splats and optional rules and extra races that my players insist on using even though I wanted a simple game with simple rules so we could focus on having a fucking adventure.

Seriously, if you want to have your magic powers be nonstandard or to play someone with certain powers the game doesn't present to you just tell me, I'll make it work. We don't need a rule and an official resource for everything.
>>
>>45007072
5e is a combination of 2nd, 3.5 (who precedes pathfinder) and 4th.
It is simple, fast and not as clumbersome as the rest of the entire DnD systems.
I encourage you to go with the 5e. because quite frankly, it is the most intuitive and fast. For both players (of all classes) and DM (of any style); something untrue with the other editions (and pathfinder).
>>
>>45007151

In my experience, a GM fudging things to fit is almost never simpler than a properly designed official ruleset for it. Although the 'Properly designed' part is hit and miss with 3.PF.
>>
>>45007167
>It is simple, fast and not as clumbersome as the rest of the entire DnD systems.
Ever heard of Basic?
>>
>>45007193
It worked pretty well when I ran AD&D.
>>
>>45007072
5e is the cleanest implementation of D&D thusfar. Unless you have and want the massive array of options provided by 3.x/pathfinder (some degree of which 5e is liable to grow in its lifespan), go with 5e. I thought I'd miss 3.5, I'd miss binders and seekers of the song, but I've found 5e to be overall the better experience and haven't REALLY missed anything so much as the arsenal of monsters I had DMing 3.5. Once a couple extra MMs come out for 5th, I'll probably have no temptation to go back at all.
>>
>>45007198
No matter whic basic yo uwant. The entire system of pathfinder (which is the other option of OP) is clumbersome. There are too much inbalance and too much trouble for too little. 5e saw this bottleneck and fixed it.
it's what those two guys said:>>45007141
>>45007151
Safe. Faster. More intuitive. Not enough complications to slow down the game.
>>
>>45007290
>pathfinder
No you dumbass. D&D Basic.
>>
>>45007290
Pretty sure that anon was talking about D&D Basic, not anything to do with pathfinder.
>>
>>45007300
What about D&D basic? Op said 5e or Pathfinder? I told him: 5e and why. He don't care about basic. 5e is so simple it is already basic.
>>
>>45007072

If you don't DM just pick whatever has the best group(s) in your area.
>>
>>45007262
As a current player of 5e, I have to agree. It's a lot of fun, easy enough to follow if you already know 3.5, and balances things well (in my experience)
>>
>>45007344
Did you read the bit of your post that I quoted?
>>
I own and play both, while 5e is more balanced and simpler to player I don't find it as fun as pathfinder. I also like the art a lot better in Pathfinder and since I buy the physical copies that is important to me.
>>
>>45007141
As someone who has only really played DnD when it comes to role playing tabletops, and enjoys the fantasy setting, what would you recommend?
>>
I've played both and 5e is much more stream lined.

go with what you can find but I'll take a 5e game over a PF game every time
>>
>>45007072

5e. Though the nostalgic in me will still say AD&D 2e is my favourite version of the game, if I have to be honest I must say 5e has won me over entirely.

I still have a very good opinion of PF, though, particularly after spending the last 6 years DMing and building a sizeable collection of books. Nothing but good memories with that game.
>>
File: warlord.jpg (324 KB, 1000x1294) Image search: [Google]
warlord.jpg
324 KB, 1000x1294
Given the two choices, I would actually prefer Pathfinder.
5e is a boring game that steps back from 4e in all the ways that matter.

But in Pathfinder, the GM can restrict the game to tier 3/4, and actually have a fun and interesting game.
Playing a Warlord or an Aegis in Pathfinder is way more fun than being a monk or fighter in DnD5e.
>>
>>45007072
As a game, 5e is better in every way.

As a character-building ruleset, Pathfinder is better simply by being based on 3.5e and having a billion and one supplements for it.

Seeing as 5e is continually picking up steam as time goes on, and Wizards' slower focus on individual products tends to produce better individual books, I'd say go with 5e easily.
>>
File: 13a.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
13a.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
>>45009824
If you want fantasy games:
Dungeon World if you want a 'simple, narrative driven' game. A free SRD is available here: http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/

13th Age if you want a 3e and 4e influenced (it's literally by the designers of those two editions), more balanced, high fantasy, high powered game of 5e. It's basically 'better 5e in every way. I uploaded all of it a while ago, but the link is dead now. For you, I'll reupload it now and let you know when it's ready. There's a free SRD here though: http://www.13thagesrd.com/

If you want 'dark fantasy' or more low powered fantasy, you have Shadow of the Demon Lord, which is literally by the author of Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2e. Again, it's more balanced and tactically interesting than DnD5e... and it does this despite the rules being SIMPLER.
Here's a free link.
http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/PXalKqpm/file.html

Between those three games, you'd have to be an idiot to buy DnD5e. After all, not only are they ALL better than 5e, but the cost of them all put together is LESS than buying the 5e corebooks.
>>
>>45013176
> Wizards' slower focus on individual products tends to produce better individual books

but anon, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide was a terrible book.
It was small, it was overpriced, the fluff material was borderline useless, and most of the player material like the new class paths were shitty. Only the cantrips were halfway decent, and they were basically a boost to Eldritch Knights and Bladelocks.
>>
>>45013253
Thanks man.
>>
>>45013412
Not all of them are winners. Counting the Starter Set, it's like 6 great books, 3 terrible books. And two of those terrible books are two parts of the same campaign.
>>
>>45013412
I agree with you for the most part but I thought arcana domain cleric was pretty good.

I wish wizards would release more class options, items/equipment and monster manuals, definitely monster manuals.

>>45013253
You sold me on 13th Age. Gonna download some of those books and get reading about it.
>>
>>45013253
I'm a 5e player who's already tired of how every 5e class works, looking forward to the 13th age pdf.
>>
>>45013651
Out of curiosity, what are you missing class-wise.
Not suggesting that there's nothing missing, just wondering what you want.
>>
>>45013651
>>45013651
My internet is shit, so my upload died. Sorry. Here's a corebook torrent instead.
http://kickasstorrentsph.com/13th-age-rpg-t9211767.html

There's a more complete torrent at Demonoid, if you have an account.

You're welcome to try and find an alternate torrent/download if you can't wait, or in case I forget.

Remember, there's a free SRD at www.13thagesrd.com/

There's also some great stuff that's been posted to the official blog, and to the fan-vault. For example, here's the Vanguard, which is basically a more interesting Fighter class http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13618

and here's the Stalwart, a beeflord class about throwing enemies at other enemies http://13thage.org/index.php/classes/164-stalwart

I repeat once more:
MY INTERNET IS SHIT SO THERE WILL BE NO COMPLETE 13TH AGE UPLOAD FROM ME, SORRY
>>
>>45007072

I liked Pathfinder until I tried 5e, now I would never play PF over 5e or really at all. 5e is so much better that it literally ruined pathfinder for me. That's just my opinion, though.
>>
5 is better, not D&D is best.
>>
>>45013825
It's mostly that a lot of options dont feel meaningful, at least not at low levels. Most martials get to choose between the good option, the shit option, and the pretend wizard option. Most caster choices feel dull early on as well, giving you a couple new spells and that's about it.
I've probably just played too much 5e, we've played on average once a week since the phb came out. I've just tried every class and none of them really made me want to go back and try them again.
>>
>>45007141
For the most part, 5e and PF don't actually require that much to get the same content as most games. The PF core will give you all you actually need to work with, and 5e divides core into three necessary books which is a bit unfortunate but there is a lot of content there.

The reasons most other games don't produce tons of additional content is that it isn't profitable. We used to have plenty of Exalted books, and Fate Core actually has tons of supplements no one looks at because the system is built around constructing your own shit. DnD and PF just own a large enough share of the market that they can publish more stuff for their fans and feel confident it'll sell.

I'm not really trying to defend DnD and PF specifically, I just think that every company in this game are more or less operating the same way.
>>
>>45007072
As long as you are dead set on playing a shit game and totally against playing the best version of it for dungeon crawling combat (4e) and presumably too young to remember the best version of it for wacky magical exploration (2e) then in that case I guess you should play 5e.
>>
>>45015855
>presumably too young to remember the best version of it for wacky magical exploration (2e)

I'm sorry, you seem to have incorrectly written 'BECMI'.

There are two good DnD editions, in the sense that they are complete, achieve strong design goals, and are fun to play.
Those are 4e, for crunchy dungeon crawlan fightan, and BECMI or B/X, for chillax rules-light fantasy.

For everything else, play something else. Shadow of the Demon Lord, 13th Age, even Dungeon World.
>>
>>45013989
I'm the anon from >>45013544

I think the kickass torrent link is more complete than demonoid. I downloaded the kickass link first and it went up to book 12 while the torrent on demonoid only shows it up to book 11.

Here's the link for anyone interested.
https://kat.cr/13th-age-update-as-of-november-2015-t11589146.html

Don't let the low seed count discourage you it didn't take long to download.
>>
>>45016152
The fuck is BECMI?
>>
>>45015424
That's exactly how I feel switching from older editions of D&D to 5th. There just doesn't feel like there is a good selection of character customization like the older editions were. If you try to do anything against the grain you get poor results and with the lack of magic items mentality 5th seems to limit you choices. If you want to play a skill focused fighter you probably can't improve certain things without multi-classing as a different class.
>>
>>45009695
>Liking Wayne Reynolds art
Well, at least we know your opinion is shit.
>>
For me I played a bit of 3.5 and a bit of pathfinder. It took a while to get it going and ultimately a couple of my friends got too bogged down by "mechanics" arguing the rules every 2 minutes.
I tried to DM 5e for the first time with no real prep time and I ran princes of apocalypse with 3 newb rpger's and one "veteran". they had a lot of fun making characters and just playing. We were able to make everyones character within an hour and ran a 2 hr session to test the waters. Definitely easier to get into.
there are less options/sourcebooks/supplements right now but the release line up from wizards has been pretty solid without feeling like they are trying to push products on us every other week.

5e is good if you want a game that isnt too heavy on your wallet (right now) and you arent too concerned about not having a million player options.

pathfinder used to be good but thats because it's competition used to be 4e...
>>
>>45016783
The old basic sets, which were eventually all compiled into the Rules Cyclopedia.
Basic, Expert, Companions, Master, Immortals.
>>
>>45016783
IIRC, it's shorthand for the D&D first edition weird box collection thing.
I don't know how it fits together, but i think that's what he's talking about
>>
>>45007072
>pathfinder
you want 3.5 but with less books here ya go min/max to your hearts content
>5e
you want to play d&d with bringing a calculator? here ya go

different strokes for different folks. For instance since I am a min/maxing shitlord I enjoy Pathfinder
>>
File: Tojanida 1.png (4 MB, 1851x1153) Image search: [Google]
Tojanida 1.png
4 MB, 1851x1153
>>45007072
Speaking as a fluff scavenger, Pathfinder splats aren't very good. Poorly written deities, poorly written histories, redundant monsters included to fill out space (there are about 6 variants of the Succubus for different varieties of Fiends)

The only PF book I could recommend is Misfit Monsters Revisited. The Flumphs and Tojanidas have good fluff in there.
>>
>>45017446
Basic DnD is not the same thing as ADnD1e.
You know you're in the internet and Wikipedia exists, right? You don't need to guess or ask on 4chan when you can just look it up.
>>
File: 0125162103.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
0125162103.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
>>45007072

>he doesn't cover his books

it's like you want to ruin your investment
>>
>>45018191
You're sick. You need help
>>
File: 0125162105.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
0125162105.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>>45018211

why?

makes it easy to put my errata in
>>
>>45007072
I prefer 5E, but YMMV. Really, the only way to figure your preference is to try out yourself.
>>
File: editions of D&D graphic.png (229 KB, 911x1470) Image search: [Google]
editions of D&D graphic.png
229 KB, 911x1470
>>45017511
>>45017446
>>
>>45018191
How badly do you mistreat your books that damaging them is a serious risk?
>>
Is ADnD best shit ever?
>>
>>45019531

I keep them in a bookbag with other books and notebooks and take them practically wherever I go so I can look at them just in case an idea strikes me and I need to check something.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.