[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shadow of the Demon Lord. What it does right Combat damage is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Shadow of the demon lord.jpg (686 KB, 1209x804) Image search: [Google]
Shadow of the demon lord.jpg
686 KB, 1209x804
Shadow of the Demon Lord.

What it does right
Combat damage is pretty flat. No modifiers really get added into it for the most part. An Axe is going to do the same amount of damage no matter who is using it (with the exception of a fighter who is focused on it).
Everyone can use advanced combat options like trip, grapple, etc. however, martial focused characters negate the penalty that comes with performing such actions. Still a wizard can totally trip a fucker with an dagger to ankle.
It moves fast, initiative is simple, and a static number to beat for challenges (that can be modified with boons and banes) makes it easy for the DM
The adventures are vague enough to allow for customization but provide enough depth to keep you going so that a DM can run an effective adventure that will be different on multiple plays to better suit the party and most can basically be ran right out of the box.

What it does bad
The setting is edgelord as fuck
The concept of roleplaying your character to advance their professions is a neat idea, however, at 10 plays for campaigns on average it limits person growth
Almost 100% of the spells and abilities are related to combat only

With how easy it is to make a character and how fast it plays and you can make up something quick and easy that is still solid on the fly it is fantastic game for an in-between plays of longer lasting RPGs or if you just want to bust a few nuts on finishing total campaigns for once. It lacks character depth and some RP aspects because of the speed of the game, and the setting is super edgy, but the mechanics are pretty damn solid.

Plus, fuck elves.
>>
>The setting is super edgy.
This is not the game which is merges Warhammer Fantasy RPG 1st edition and D&D?
Had you played the modules of WHFRPG 1st Ed.? Man, there are moments in those which will give you nightmares.
The most soft one is a couple of halflings being in denial about their newborn being turn into a fucking aggressive zombie (claws and teeth included) and convincing the PCs that is just ill and needs medical attention. When you unwrap the baby from the comfy blankets cocoon, it basically jumps straight to your carotid.
Shadow of the Derpmon Lord is fucking tame compared to that.
>>
So not so good for long campaigns?
>>
>>47454154
SotDL has a spell that does nothing except make your dick explode into gore, accompanied with full artwork. If that's not middle-school tier edgy I don't know what is.
>>
>>47454411
I will not call it middle-school tier edgy.
I will call it "I am tired of your ERP shenanigans in my campaign" spell.
>>
>>47454308
The game haves a countdown chart.
The GM can make it advanced and with each step the things go from "the shit hit the fan" to "the fan blades just had detach from the dam thing, flied through the room, severed your mother's carotid and stopped just in the crib of your baby sibling" and from that to "you had died and your soul has ended in Bazinga! hell for all eternity".
>>
>>47454529
>I can't talk to my players like an adult
>I need really passive aggressive ways built into the system to punish them

Was anyone really trying to ERP during the playtesting for this thing? It's pointless, stupid, and gives a really bad first impression on the game as a whole.
>>
>>47454598
Millennials have this disgusting habit that we Baby Boomers and Generation X call the "Martin effect" or "HBO effect". If a millennial is exposed to a dark setting it will try to insert sexual themes in it even if that will be contrary to the campaign's ethos.
So almost fucking everyone age under 30s tries to add sex into a dark fantasy game.
This spell was necessary.
>>
>>47454693
Jokes on you, even playing a "dark fantasy" game in the first place.

>50 year old pedophiles sitting at a dining room table chuckling about imainary dicks exploding
>>
>>47454730
>20 somethings being yelled by girlfriend because he didn't pick her up because had to grind on WoW.
>>
File: whatthefuck.jpg (597 KB, 1298x1349) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuck.jpg
597 KB, 1298x1349
>>
>>47454693
No one says that.
>>
>>47454529
As much as I love this game, there are a few cringeworthy things like that sprinkled about. Doesn't ruin it for me though.
>>
>>47454762
That's fucking creepy. Does it's job as far as I'm concerned. But I understand the fear of magical realms or things that resemble magical realms.
>>
>>47452154
>The setting is edgelord as fuck

Is this what we're calling dark fantasy nowadays?
>>
>>47452154
What exactly is edgy, and why is it a bad thing? Are you sure it's just not a meme?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.