[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tabletop game about dinosaurs >where you play as dinosaurs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10
File: Saurian.jpg (318 KB, 1799x970) Image search: [Google]
Saurian.jpg
318 KB, 1799x970
>tabletop game about dinosaurs
>where you play as dinosaurs instead of humans

Why hasn't this been done yet?
>>
>>47449263
I am now imagining land before time table top...
it is a good thought.
>>
>>47449263
Because dinosaurs make good monsters, not so much protagonists. They're big dumb scalie things, the dragon to be slain, not the hero of the story
>>
>>47449263
I mean I guess you could just do like Ironclaw and have anthro/furry dinosaur people. Different species giving different stats, maybe do a "herbivores good, carnivores bad" thing depending on how corny you want it to be.
>>
>>47449263
I think a wargame with dinosaurs would work better than an RPG. I could totally see building armies with dinosaurs, and a Tyrannosaurus Rex being worth 3 Pterodactyls or however the fuck balance works.
>>
>>47449296
>anthro
Fuck. That. SHIT.
If I'm gonna be playing a dinosaur game, I want to play a motherfucking dinosaur game, not some /d/ shit.

Give me a struggle to survive, give me predators and great migrations. Give me Walking with Dinosaurs of Dinosaucers any day of the week.
>>
>>47449317
well my first thought was a migration game, but as a sort of wargame that would be cool.

each player controls a different herd, and whichever player makes it to the great valley or whatever with the most dinosaurs is the winner?
>>
>>47449325
Okay. This is why there isn't a (well known at least) RPG where you play as dinosaurs. If you're doing that, everyone is gonna be playing the same kind of dinosaur, so half the fun is gone right out of the gate not just for dinosaur autists, but for people who insist on diversity in a party. Not to mention that this is incredibly limiting for storytelling.

What you describing would make an awesome videogame. In fact, I remember an old flash game on the Discovery Channel's website where you played as the largest Allosaurus ever discovered. You played from hatchling to death, growing, eating, and mating while chasing other Allosaurs out of your territory. It was awesome, and it would make a shit TTRPG unless you just turned it into essentially a board game with light role-playing elements.
>>
File: 1457487859513.jpg (41 KB, 1033x679) Image search: [Google]
1457487859513.jpg
41 KB, 1033x679
>>47449451
>In fact, I remember an old flash game on the Discovery Channel's website where you played as the largest Allosaurus ever discovered.

Holy shit. I can't believe that anyone else ever played that fucking game. I spent like 3 hours trying to find a workable version of it the other day, I'm so salty that they took it off the website.
>>
File: tlbt.png (204 KB, 500x295) Image search: [Google]
tlbt.png
204 KB, 500x295
>>47449451
Well couldn't it just be like >>47449273 was saying? All the dinosaurs are still dinosaurs, but they go on adventures together and are just all around adorable?
>>
>>47449679
Anon, I'm about to reveal to you the terrible secret of /tg/:

If you want a cool game about [THING], you'll have to make it yourself. The only thing stopping your cool game from existing is the fact that you haven't made it yet.
>>
>>47449679
So... Engine Hearts with dinosaurs.
>>
>>47452166
Id play that. Well, that or something a little more serious (like having your dinosaur character eaten alive by raptors because he/she couldn't run away fast enough).
>>
>>47449263
>tabletop game about dinosaurs
>where you play as dinosaurs instead of humans

>Why hasn't this been done yet?

1: Because big stupid animals make for shitty protagonists.

2: Because playing a Dinosaur would require focusing 100% on shit that make the average D&D casualty flip the table, like constantly scrounging for food, getting ambushed by things you have no realistic chance of fighting off, and randomly dying from stupid shit like sliding down a muddy bank and getting stuck.

Have you seen the fucking threads about stuff like wilderness survival in role-playing?
>Our DM is retarded, he makes us keep track of water and having the right clothes instead of just plopping us down in another dungeon.
>If I wanted realism I wouldn't be playing games, hurdurr
>I should be allowed to have everything in this flashy anime picture because it looks cool, what do you mean impractical, it's a game...

Imagine the average players response when they get an Allosaurus on their trail because they forgot to mention kicking dirt over their shit or something.

4: Because the thing that makes any monster cool is the contrast, if everyone's a dinosaur, it's not as fun as when you have humans to compare them to.

5: Because dinosaurs don't have stuff, the main reasons people do retarded shit like intentionally going into harms way in role-playing games is to get stuff, protect their stuff or steal someone else's stuff. Tell your players that in the next game you're running, nobody is going to have gear and see how well that goes over.

Of course, none of this matter if you just want to run Land Before Time talking cute dinosaur hijinks, but at that point you might as well use an existing game and just say "everybody dinosaur now."
>>
>>47453630
>6. The reason why no one wants to play with me is because they're all stupid assholes, not because of my abrasive personality.
>>
File: Raptorred.jpg (13 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
Raptorred.jpg
13 KB, 200x300
>>47453630
>it would not be fun to play through something resembling this
>>
>>47453630
>big stupid animals
However you came here, go back to the 1800s.
>>
File: ponder.gif (1 MB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
ponder.gif
1 MB, 500x480
>>47453630
On this note, what are some solid survival games? I've heard Torchbearer is good for this. Any other decent systems?
>>
>>47453630
1: Don't do that then.
2: Don't do that then either. Every game is going to be shit if the players are not on board with the general tone of the game.
4: Contrast can come by showing the differences between the PCs and NPCs; the dinosaurs can be the last of their kinds in an area dominated by pesky fucking mammals.
5: Loot doesn't have to be the main feature of the game, it's not a requirement for an RPG, and there are systems out there (albeit ones that are generally quite divisive, I'm looking at you Fate) which basically go, hey, gear doesn't matter that much.

Though I'd still rather run it as Land Before Time talking cute dinosaur hijinks, because cuteness and hijinks seem to basically go hand-in-hand with any game my group goes near.
>>
>>47449263
too hard to relate to :^)
>>
>>47453630
6. you just realized there's no 3
>>
>>47453630
Then don't just have the game be about dinosaurs surviving in dinosaur times.

Get weird. Have aliens invade and the dinosaur PCs have to fight them off. Have it be post apocalyptic and they have to fend off encroaching human raiders.

There are plenty of things you can do with the PCs as dinosaurs instead of just having them be dinosaurs
>>
>>47449263
because there isn't a need to make a tabletop game about everything. You don't need to outline a campaign for every tv show you watch or book you read. Every time I see the monthly has anyone ever made a dark souls ttg thread I cringe.
>>
>>47449263
I'd consider working on that project.

You'd have to decide what direction you were taking the game though.

Hyper-realism,
Cute-dino-hijinks,
Realism, but with heightened intelligence and more complex language,
Sci-fi + Dinosaurs,
If I was making this project, my first thought is to do it as a fantasy. Dinosaurs, but intelligent, communicative, and in a world with magic. That would allow you to have some more of the role-playing progression that I think that you'd want, and it adds more story hooks. Since you don't have civilization, all knowledge and magical lore would be rare and need to be quested after, you could still have powerful antagonists of the intelligent and bestial varieties.
And when I say magic, I don't mean fireballs and lightning bolts necessarily, moreso, powers that set you apart from the rest of the world. Perhaps like Earthdawn's adepts, or a toned-down Exalted.
>>
>>47449263

Been Done.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/152101/OneDice-Raptors
>>
File: 11851553.jpg (26 KB, 295x475) Image search: [Google]
11851553.jpg
26 KB, 295x475
>>47449263
>Why hasn't this been done yet?
>>47449295
>Because dinosaurs make good monsters, not so much protagonists.

>being so wrong on so many accounts
>they didn't read West of Eden
>>
>>47457989

So good. One of my favorites. Spent years tracking down the trilogy in used book stores.
>>
File: wallhaven-35376.jpg (488 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-35376.jpg
488 KB, 1920x1080
>>47457218
>>
>not playing as the astrosaurs
>>
>>47457989
>>47458054
Local Lib had all three books.
They were great. I loved them.
>>
File: 25936.jpg (867 KB, 2085x1950) Image search: [Google]
25936.jpg
867 KB, 2085x1950
>>47449263

I could imagine a punched-up Bunnies & Burrows variation with dinosaurs working, but I'd like the option to have mammals or fantastical prehumans. If only to gussy it up.
>>
>>47463387
Those books were the shit
>>
SPACE DINOSAURS
>>
>>47465978
That's from EVO isn't it?
>>
It just hit me, couldn't you pull off the Land Before Time with Ryuutama? It's mostly about traveling and that's what they did in the movie. Combat is discouraged, since trying not to die also involves not getting yourself hurt.
>>
>>47449263
>roll to eat grass
>>
>>47469388
Silly anon, I'm not going to make you roll to eat grass. I am going to make you do a perception check though, because you thought it would be funny to move away from the herd.
>>
>>47466706
The fact that it says EVO P. didn't tip you off?
>>
>>47449263

RIFTS.

Seriously though I don't think there is enough of a market out there. Vidya just scratches that I want to be a flesh eating beast itch better than pnp.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.