[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deponia RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 600x849
Anyone know where to get a translated copy of the rule book for the Deponia tabletop game?
>>
>>47446400
I didn't know about that one. THanks for the info.

You should ask the pdf share thread.
>>
>>47446522

Huh, didn't notice the PDF share thread during a search. Got a link to it?
>>
File: hmmmm.jpg (84 KB, 387x514) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.jpg
84 KB, 387x514
>>47446400
Is that white chick wearing a bodysuit or walking around completely naked but strategically covered?
>>
>>47447267
Sadly, white body suit. They're part of the setting.

I mean, I assume. I've only played the games and had no idea there was a tabletop game. Hard to imagine how it'd go.
>>
>>47446400
bump for interest
>>
>>47446751

Just checked that thread, no luck I'm afraid.
>>
>>47446400
Well that's one thing I didn't expect. Bumping for interest.
>>
bumpity bump
>>
>>47446400
It's a FATE game
>>
>>47452464
Fitting, a garbage system for garbage planet populated by garbage people.
>>
File: deponiarpg.jpg (98 KB, 800x516) Image search: [Google]
deponiarpg.jpg
98 KB, 800x516
>>
>>47452488
>>
>>
>>47446400
Shit video game, shit rpg
>>
>>47452515
that looks like a pretty nice book.
>>
>>47446400
I enjoyed the games, but I can't see any reason why this should exist.
>>
>>47452464

Not familiar with that system, is it any good?
>>
>>47453465
It's FATE, so take it as you will
>>
>>47453483

Not quite sure what that means. Is it a flexible system? What kind of games does it tend to have? More combat or story oriented?
>>
>>47453781
FATE tends towards narrativist gameplay but with certain aspects or traits each character has. These traits can be compelled by the gm to affect the character negatively or utalised by the play, all to move the situation forward.
>>
>>47447267
>Is that white chick wearing a bodysuit or walking around completely naked but strategically covered?
Did you look at the picture?
>>
>>47453814

That style of game sounds fitting for this series, character and narrative driven.
>>
>>47453448

Probably because enough people thought it was an interesting setting worth having a tabletop game for it?
>>
>>47453465
FATEs too narrative/meta for my tastes. Instead of getting into the role of your character like most RPGs, it's more like you're acting as a director that's commanding things from behind the scenes. Also, making balanced aspects is a lot harder than most realize, meaning it's hard as hell to run a decent game with the system unless everyone's already comfortable and familiar with it; the high entry barrier is a constant issue with new groups.
>>
>>47447267
I love this artist so fuggin much
>>
>>47452464
That's just too fucking bad.
It always sad when that happens.
>>
>>47456183
Yeah I tried to run a fate game and the players actually told me they didn't like the whole cards/aspects thing. They liked rolling approaches to do things.
Then again I might have fucked it up because I didn't run the scenes with a "purpose".

Ultimatly there's nothing there, there's no system to gain mastry over, it's literally "do whatever you want" game.
>>
>>47456183
>>47456381

So does that mean it is easy to adapt to other systems? Make it more along the lines of traditional tabletop games?
>>
>>47456381
System Mastery is a dumb concept, but FATE is barely a system at all.

>>47456471
It barely has any noteworthy mechanics that couldn't be found anywhere else better. The problem with FATE is, that it's completely meat and flavourless. The GAME aspect is just not there, and everything you do feels the same. Every setting, every character.
Now, FATE fans will probably barrel in and say "That's completely on you! My characters all feel totally different!", but really? There are no mechanics to actually differentiate characters. In the end, it all comes down to formulate the Aspects that give you maximum coverage and trying to argue that this or that applies right now, so you nearly always get the bonus.

One of the examples people always give is a battle against a giant robot. Imagine a superhero game, where the heroes battle an evil robot rampaging through the streets.
The Human Torch guy will argue that the Robot is made of metal and his flames will melt, or at least weaken the metal, so he should get the bonus. So he makes the FATE Equivalent of an Attack Roll with the Bonus and inflicts the FATE Equivalent of damage.
Then the Machine Whizz Kid with Super Hacking Powers gets his turn, and he argues that the Robot is a bloody robot, so he should be able to use that Aspect. And then he rolls the same thing as Torch and inflicts the same damage.
Pretty much every single character will try to do this, so everyone ends up doing exactly the same thing.

Players with half a brain will have a good spread an applicable concepts in practically any situation. You don't even have to powergame for this, you only need to be creative. It's natural to usally take a good roll if you can get a good roll, after all.

The problem is, that the Deponia book will probably offer next to nothing mechanically. Just homebrewing something for another system from scratch will probably yield the same results as using the FATE expansion as basis.
>>
On a similar topic, i.e. mild narrativism in a humorous setting, what game would you guys run the Discworld on?
I can't seem to find anything I quite like. FATE and the like are obviously way too vague and does too little system-wise. Old School D&D, which is after all part of what it's poking fun at, requires too much work for running something that doesn't fit into the class archetypes (i.e. designing new classes), GURPS (which has a supplement) is too crunchy and doesn't really add anything beyond the fluff.

I'm considering doing something with the running jokes (wizards and 7+1, hundred year old barbarians with rheumatitis who're badass, tourists using some kind of luck/automatic success which could be modeled on bennies) and still having a decent gaming system underneath but I can't really decide on what.
Savage Worlds maybe? Basic Roleplaying?
>>
>>47457894
SW is usually my go-to system for these kinds of things, because it has enough of a framework to lean on, but it inoffensive and easy to homebrew.
>>
>>47456885

It would still benefit to have the book to have better information to implement in a homebrew style system. I'd assume they'd have to offer something mechanically meaningful.
>>
>>47457894
Out of those two probably Savage Worlds for being more action-y and less focused on insta-death for combat.
>>
>>47446400

Anyone speak German here? Think this might be the link to it but I can't tell if it has everything OP is asking for.

http://www.uhrwerk-verlag.de/?page_id=148
>>
>>47457894
>GURPS (which has a supplement) is too crunchy
Yeah, but the Discworld splat even says all you need to run it is GURPS lite which is much better and more streamlined in 4e.
>>
>>47456332
Not worse than both endings, though. Ha-ha, right? ;_;
>>
>>47460325

That would have to be pretty bad indeed.
>>
>>47452515

That's some serious armpit hair.
>>
>>47464786
Hippies, man
>>
>>47465382
Euro-hippies
>>
File: Deponia_Itemkarten.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Deponia_Itemkarten.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
File: Deponia_Abenteuergenerator.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Deponia_Abenteuergenerator.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
File: Deponia_Archetypen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Deponia_Archetypen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
File: Deponia_Charakterbogen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Deponia_Charakterbogen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
File: Deponia-Karte-Download.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Deponia-Karte-Download.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47466172
Where's Kovak?
>>
>>47468234
Three-Quarters most likely.
>>
>>47457894
>fate is too vague and does too little system-wise
lel, it's the perfect system for Discworld because both run on narrativium

As much as I adore Savage Worlds it's honestly too action-focused for a really decent Discworld game. A lot of the protagonists of Discworld (as long as you don't count Sam Vimes) aren't trained combatants, Rincewind only really won his fights by sheer desperation or just avoiding them altogether.
>>
Also when I first saw "Deponia" I immediately started pronouncing it "deponyer" in my head and that just stuck. I could get behind a depony-er.
>>
>>47466100

Are these cards? How does that work in a tabletop RPG?
>>
>>47446400
>But I'm an Organon! I'm just playing my character!
>>
>>47472252

Man, the Organon are kind of jerks, though.
>>
>>47453448
The video games this is based on are mildly popular in the states as far as a 2D point and click adventure game can be these days, but you need to understand how massive this series ended up being in its native Germany.

At the moment, everywhere else in the world, there's been a small revival of the adventure game genre thanks to kickstarter and indie developers and the like. It was huge, then the genre died off, and only now has it come back in the form of telltale episodic adventures and smaller studios like Wadjet Eye. But in Germany, adventure games never stopped being huge. Their laws on violence in media mean that a lot of shooters and violent action games either get neutered or never make it over, so the action game boom never actually happened in Germany the same way it happened everywhere else. Nothing came along to replace point and click games, so most of the big German video game studios make adventure games in German, for Germans, and very few ever leave Germany. Deponia's probably one of the most popular games in Germany's adventure game scene, even though it gets relatively little attention elsewhere, so it makes sense that its branching off into other mediums - and since tabletop gaming also has a huge scene in Germany, this is a reasonable place to start.
>>
>>47474170
They had a catchy national hymn, though

Seriously, me and the wife will occasionally start singing it for no reason, or whenever we decide to use oregano in our cooking
>>
File: 6038178444.jpg (15 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
6038178444.jpg
15 KB, 207x200
Official deponian money just passing through. It could be pretty handy for roleplaying purposes
>>
>>47475848

Huh, didn't know it was based off of an actual currency.
>>
Did the last game ever explain why The Goal baby was actually a Donna clone? I'm not sure whether I missed that part or if they just didn't explain it.

Also, during the part with the big fan, they explicitly say that it will start spinning if anyone moves, so why doesn't that happen once Rufus lets go? And what happened to Argus during all that?
>>
>>47474532
Point and Clicks weren't dead in Germany, but I'd call them far from huge. The action boom still happened, everyone still loves shooting at people. Generally speaking, people just get angry at the censorship or import them from Austria, and that's it. CoD, GTA and whatnot are still king.
Only a few outliers actually ever got banned.
>>
>>47476647
>second spoiler
Because writer was hit by lightning and went full retard. They wanted to kill him no matter how stupid it has to be.
>>
>>47476647

Didn't the Goal baby just happen on accident as a small mixup?
>>
>>47476647

The Donna baby was there because from the last game the crazy girl had gone with Cletus on the Organon ship. They didn't like her and chucked her overboard, which is why there was a dead body. That she looked similar to Goal while young is coincidental.
>>
>>47477607
And then they made an entire 4th game which just reiterated the point, but with more time loops.
>>
>>47482119
And aliens who reveal that everything done by the heroes and villains would ultimately come to nothing.
>>
File: Hussa.jpg (80 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Hussa.jpg
80 KB, 1920x1080
I can hear it already
>>
>>47484152
We all can

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJXBNaRfW0

>>47474532
>>47476865
C&P are very famous with german youtubers. I think thats why it gets a double boost from being loved and to get it from youtubers.
>>
>>47484152
Or
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rLTyPOvDXqQ
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 600x518) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 600x518
>>
>>47482119
>>47483511
I just thought of a way to fix the ending so only a few people's lives are ruined.

The Alien elephants could of dragged Future Old Rufus off the falling bomb and thrown him out in the stratosphere, so Original Rufus wouldn't need to be.

So he and Goal could live their shitty lives on the Planet covered in garbage.
>>
>>47459021
Nah, it's just character sheets, item cards, a free adventure module, and the deponia map.
>>
>>47484743
best girl.
>>
who is keeping this thread alive?
>>
>>47486729
people waiting to see if the FATE book will be put up
>>
>>47487802
>>47486729
Or people who like Deponia
>>
>>47487972
Ha!
>>
File: goal.jpg (226 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
goal.jpg
226 KB, 1024x1024
>>47487992
Ok then how about we just discuss the
plot
l
o
t
>>
>>47488126
That's about the sole goal of the plot
>>
>>47488126
>>47484743
Is there anything else I need to know about Deponia?
>>
File: image.jpg (284 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
284 KB, 1920x1080
>>47488925
This
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 350x197
>>47488925
And this
>>
File: image.gif (522 KB, 224x330) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
522 KB, 224x330
>>47488925
Dont forget
>>
File: image.png (76 KB, 176x225) Image search: [Google]
image.png
76 KB, 176x225
>>47488925
Nearly forgot this
>>
>>47488925

Try to go into it expecting some crazy logic at times.
>>
>>47471984
Pretty simple.
I am currently running a session in Deponia and I am using them in two ways. Firstly in the typical Adventure Game way, so that there is an puzzle the SC have to solve and they use the cards to do so.
Secondly I use them as FATE Points the SC can trade in for an bonus, if they can come up with a funny way to use the item described on the card (there are only pictures on them, so you can be very creative with the description). One of my players is an forgetful inventor and has the stunt that he can trade in FATE points for these cards, if he is able to use them immediatly. It is pretty funny to see him pulling a burning tire out of his Trenchcoat, which he than has to use to hack a computer.
>>
>>47493991

Huh? So you got the rule book for this game? Any chance you could share it?
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.