[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG casual general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 21
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 375x523
What's your favorite color deck to play with?

How long have you been playing MTG?

If you play with friends how "optimized" are your decks?

How many cards do you have in total?
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 312x445
>>44990405
>What's your favorite color deck to play with?
White/(anything). I just really love using Pacifism on all of my friend's big creatures since none of them have a lot of cards to destroy enchantments.
>How long have you been playing MTG?
About three months? I'm fairly new to the hobby.
>If you play with friends how "optimized" are your decks?
Not really optimized at all. I just pick out all the nice cards from the two colors I make my deck out of and try to trim it down to around 60-70.
>How many cards do you have in total?
I don't know. Maybe 400-500? Just enough to barely fit in the Battle for zenkidar deck builder's toolkit I got for Christmas.

What's your favorite card to play against friends with? Mine's pic related. I nabbed 4 from Amazon for $2+shipping.
>>
Guess nobody else likes to play casual. Sorry OP.
>>
>>44990734
i dont have friends
>>
>>44990800
Well maybe if you showed some empathy and started caring about your appearance maybe you'd make a few friends.
>>
>>44990405
I don't really have a favorite color, but grixis is my favorite color combination

started in the last set of alara, so ~7 years

I build all of my decks with the intent of winning, some just do it better than others.

more than I can reasonably count. thousands. 80% of them are bulk commons/uncommons from when me and friends would split booster boxes and build decks on the fly with our pulls.

I need to slap together some more casual decks, some new players were at the shop last week. it's a pretty small shop and I wanted to entertain them but I didn't have any decks that wouldn't just roll them.
>>
>>44990405
My 'casual' deck has 4x Tinker and a Blightsteel Colossus in it. Should I kill myself?
>>
>>44990405
I like most of my decks. I don't really have a deck that I don't like playing, so I'm good with all colors.

2 years.

My 60-card decks range in optimization. The decks I made early on are more lethal, but after a while I started "dumbing down" the decks to even out the playing field (Not running 4 copies of spells, not using rares)

Too many. By doing some quick math, I can guess the total will be over 5000 cards.
>>
>>44990405
White. Angels are my favorite flavor, though at present my favorite angel is mono-red.
Urza's Saga, so since 1998.
Quite, seeing as my local group is fairly competitive-oriented. It's just that they're not "real decks", so in a Legacy tournament it's an uphill struggle.
No idea. Less than I used to, I sold off a bunch of bulk recently.
>>
File: tmp_8605-1437091358310-28487876.jpg (103 KB, 829x768) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8605-1437091358310-28487876.jpg
103 KB, 829x768
>>44993392
>friends deck runs 4x sol ring 4x tinker
>he uses it to fetch isochron scepter imprinting orim's chant or angel's grace
>if he already has scepters in play he gets platinum angel or platinum emperion
>his win con is mill you out with party jace and jace's erasure
>mfw every time
>>
>>44994213
I mean there's a reason Tinker is banned. A good one.

Start running NoFun Esper Lockdown.
T1 Island > Tome Scour > Surgical Exctraction his biggest threat.
Wait for Detention Sphere and Nevermore to come out. Start bouncing his creatures to hand or rely on alternate win-cons. Make him hate the game. He'll switch up decks when knows you're sick of his shit
>>
>>44990991

> dis projecting

>>44990734

I like casual magic OP. Partly because I'm mature enough to not waste hundreds of dollars a year on a hobby that is CARDBOARD

(i've probably wasted a couple hundred of magic cards over the years though. But never more than 5 bucks a card and even so I can only name like 3 instances I spent more than 2 bucks on a single card.)
>>
>>44994349
I've already rolled him with my rock deck. Scepters ain't got shit on k grip and abrupt decay. He knows his deck isn't invincible
>>
>>44994213
>>44994349
Maybe a Sire of Stagnation after bouncing a Tinkered Big 'n' Beefy might make him think twice about trying to get the mana up to stick it again.
>>
with all the hype of big creatures, I've gone to a bit of a blue-green mana ramp just to throw out my big guys early.
Emrakul on T3 is kinda overpowered admittedly.
when I don't I go with green white lifegain-token creation.
I've only recently started, about the start of kahns.
>>
>>44990566
>playing unhinged cards to fuck with your friends
shiggy
>>
>>44994518
It's literally a +2/+2 to all but two of my creatures so I consider it fairly balanced. Heck. Glaring aegis is the same cost for +1/+3 and I get to tap a opponent's creature while doing so.
>>
I HATE this once blue counter spell deck my friend has. What's even more annoying besides the counter spells is the mind control spells and creatures he has in there. How can I counter this without having to make a blue counter spell deck?
>>
>fav colour
I don't have a real preference per se, but I gravitate less towards white (one of my Legacy decks is Soldier Stompy however)
>how long
two and a half years
>how optimised
being someone who is both competitive and likes decks that are synergistic, they are finely tuned death machines that are only really limited by my budget

I tend to go more off-beat with my decks than the usual stuff I play against - newer players think nothing of Mindshrieker or Erratic Explosion until I cast Brainstorm in response and put Draco/Autochthon Wurm from my hand to the top of the library
>how many cards
too fucking many, I've been downsizing my collection to get board games but now I'm mostly left with bulk trash as far as unused cards go
>>
Bumping with my card count: 1,68(3 or 5).
>>
>>44990405
Naya
4 years
Not very much, but slightly more than the average
A shitload. I used to draft weekly in college so I have shoe boxes of shit commons.
>>
>>44995057
Mind control spells? So he takes control of your stuff? Or you?

These recommendations are going to be situational, and kind of flimsy without knowing what he's exactly using.

>Play land destruction (better done with older red/white cards)
>If he's stealing your creatures, bounce them back to your hand (mostly blue/white)
>Play more stuff that can't be countered.
>Play more stuff that's pro-blue, or has hexproof or shroud effects.
>"Bait" his counter spells. Play something weak before playing something strong.
>Utilize bringing out permanents during the second main phase. This works in tandem with "baiting" He might counter a spell you cast during the first main phase or during combat, and may be tapped out for a stronger play.
>>
>>44996200
What sucks is that I have 0 hexproof creatures since I started fairly recently. But the spells he's using are the old 2 blue mana counter spell, siren of the fanged coast, mind control, and a bunch of other spells that make him gain permanent control of creatures I have. I will try to do the main phase 2 trick, though I'm having trouble putting cards in the deck that supply enough +1/+1 counters.
>>
>>44996333
What color(s) are you playing?

Also, another strategy is to not have creatures---or run as few creatures as possible. Sounds like he just wants your creatures, so his deck can only be as powerful as you allow it to be.
>>
>>44996481
I mainly play white/green or a blue/red decks high I switch between. Running no creatures is not an option since I don't have nearly enough cards to run a no-creature deck. Also those no creature decks just seem boring to me.
>>
>>44996559
Gotcha. Well, from the sounds of it he can't take control of your creatures on your turn.

For the blue/red deck: Put in spells that provide temporary buffs over permanent ones. These will mostly be found in red.

For the green/white deck: Enchantment removal is common in both colors. When you destroy those enchantments, you will get your creature back.

The downside, of course, is that he could very well counter those spells, but he can't counter everything.
>>
>>44996737
Thanks for the advice. I'll start changing things. Good thing my friend don't have many ways of destroying enchantments.
>>
>>44990405
>Fave Colors
UG master race.

>Started Playing
I started right when Gatecrash released.

>Optimization
I consider tons of rulings when brewing. Most of my friends fail to consider the stack when playing spells. Thus, most of the time I end the game in victory, but always give tips and rulings so they don't royally fuck themselves at FNM.

>Card Totals
I have probably upwards of 6,000 cards total.
>>
>Favorite colors
Blue. Then white.
>How long?
Maybe a year? Haven't really been serious with the hobby.
>How optimized?
Not very. I've never bought specific cards online but I follow a lot of deck building guides.
>How many cards?
Maybe 1,200. Give or take a hundred.
>>
fave casual deck, gotta post it every casual thread. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/spoopy-ghost-deck/
>>
>>44998282
I can dig it.
>>
Here's a mono-white life gain deck that I kinda like. If only white had a single counter spell in it.
>>
>>44998387
Forgot link. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mega-life-gain/
>>
>>44998387
>If only white had a single counter spell in it.
there's also lapse of certainty
>>
File: mana tithe.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
mana tithe.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>44998520
ofc i would forget to attach the image
>>
File: Visions.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Visions.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>44990405
7 years this april, been playing since just before Alara Reborn dropped.

Blue decks are just so much fun. I don't eve care about counterspells, I just love playing Preordain and Dig Through Time, card selection is the greatest thing to happen to man.

Not particularly, though my EDH decks have been getting pretty tough lately. I've been noticing my decks getting less and less casual, so I'm going to be taking it back to my roots and building a lot of fun 60 card decks to play with my brothers/friends.

Several thousand, not sure on the exact number but I have 3 EDH decks, a 300ish card cube, and a big plastic tote full of all my playable commons/uncommons.

>>44990566
>What's your favorite card to play against friends with?
Spiteful Visions, because my friends (and me, to be grated) are all greedy motherfuckers and draw way too many cards. I love starting it out as a friendly black/red Howling Mine deck and then dropping that bad boy with a couple Kederekt Parasites to kill everyone in one cycle.
>>
File: chalice of life & death.jpg (63 KB, 449x310) Image search: [Google]
chalice of life & death.jpg
63 KB, 449x310
>>44998395
>>44998387
a friend has a similar life gain/pillow fort deck with the enchantments that make creatures useless or prevent things from attacking him. his win condition is chalice of life. it's pretty annoying lol
>>
>>44998646
Wow. I know there are overpowered cards in magic but that just be one of the best. Especially in a lifelink deck.
>>
>>44998728
I feel like this is bait
>>
prob not. casual players have no idea what is strong and what is casual junk
>>
>>44998728
It's casual powerful, i.e. not nearly Sanic fast enough to be powerful. It gives way too much of a warnint before being of any use unless you centered around it, and even then it's easily naturalized.
Good fun for casual in the right hands.
>>
Next time you have 40 bucks, go buy a Manaless dredge deck. It's everything a casual deck should be: fun, flashy, and can be easily hated for the scrubs
>>
>>44995057
I play and have played a lot of mono blue control decks. Blue decks are tricky, but you can attack them from a variety of ways.

First, you need to understand that blue players are arrogant. We feel like we're invincible, and often are, because our cards are more powerful than our opponent's and we know how to play better. This arrogance is what you need to exploit.

Second, most people look at a blue deck, see their hand of 6-7 cards and despair, feeling they can never match that. Well, that's true, unless you're playing blue yourself you can never outdraw the blue deck, but cards in hand is only one piece of the puzzle. Far more important is the amount of mana a blue deck has. It doesn't matter if they have 7 cards in hand when they only have 5 lands, they can only counter 2 things at that point. A good blue player always has at least one land in hand after discarding simply because of how important it is to hit all your land drops. Blue players need to maximize every resource: life, cards, and mana.

So how do you beat a blue player? Exploit these weaknesses. Play small, cheap, evasive threats. Your opponent's mind control looks a lot worse when it just stole a 2/3 deathtouch. And they look really dumb when you play Slippery Bogle turn 1 and enchant it the next turn. They can eventually bounce your board, but those cards are expensive and if you're smart and prepared, you can attack them, let them bounce your stuff, then redeploy the same or more threats to keep them on the back foot. This anon >>44996200 has good ideas, I'd add playing stuff with flash, because you can do that in response to your opponent tapping out for his card draw. He'll look really silly when he taps out and you drop a Boon Satyr.

Remember: Blue players are assholes, but they're assholes who have weaknesses. Show those motherfuckers who is boss.

Except me, I'll crush you instantly if we ever meet.
>>
>>44999260
(you)
>>
since we're talking casual how would you make mill work?
>>
>>44990566
Had a chaos draft once and one of the cards were this, now I want that too
>>
Should I go for a Blue/green Ramp/Control Eldrazi deck or a Black/Green graveyard deck (like the intro deck for OotG)?
>>
Anybody plays forge on android phones? I downloaded the deck packs but unsure where I should put them into
>>
File: 36251.jpg (16 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
36251.jpg
16 KB, 200x285
>>44990405
> What's your favorite color deck to play with?
Honestly my favorite is probably green, a lot of really cool creatures, and a lot of big beefy dudes with buffs.

> How long have you been playing MTG?
Been playing since shadowmoor, so around 2008, very much one of my favorite things

Downsized and gave about 2000 away, have about 1000 now

My favorite card of all time is the one pictured it kicks ass, and I love the art. I play modern, standard, and edh
>>
File: gw wolves 2015.jpg (695 KB, 1741x825) Image search: [Google]
gw wolves 2015.jpg
695 KB, 1741x825
>>44990405
I have a green/white. I built this based on the tribal rules, and added in DBC when it got reprinted and cheap. I like Tribal decks because I came from YGO where they had archetypes, and the idea of just throwing random shit that doesn't have a cohesive theme into a pile and calling it a "deck" doesn't really interest me.

Honestly, I haven't. Nobody has really done casual around here. There's a brand new store that opened a few months ago and they started doing a Wednesday night "Casual Modern" free play with a $0 tournament, to kind of encourage people to play what they want and not what they need to, so I might check that out.

I've also been trying to figure out MTGO because they have a tribal format, but it's clunky and I don't want to buy the cards again.

>friends

These, plus a few extra lands, as well as the 1-drop hexproof cards needed to turn this into a Bogle deck for actual Modern, but... I still haven't got enough balls to get out there and learn to play for real.
>>
Where do you guys buy your cards from online? How is the quality of near mint cards in general
>>
>>44990405
white.
and so I am of mercy/compassion of human so I am of communication of text of:_"\_ STIMULATION OF BODY-MOVING/LIKE-SENSE SINCE OF ELECTRICITY OF CAUSED OF IN OF BODY SINCE 1. tiny metals in human 2. metals moved since of energies striked/hitting metals 3. energies sent/from machine far of miles. _/"_:-_
>>
>>45004746
I usually use tcgplayer, since you can usually find some good deals. NM is basically some dude opened the pack and sent it to you, though I have had one or two instances where someone advertised NM and it was not.
>>
>>45004852
Sounds good, If you order a deck worth of cards will shipping still be per card(s) if you order them from the same source/store?
>>
>>45004918
Most stores will charge shipping once for an entire order, and many of them will waive shipping on high $ orders.

However, you do have to be careful, as there's one or two vendors (usually ones with low sales, no icons, etc.) who still do per-card for some reason.
>>
>>45004946
thanks for the heads up I appreciate it
>>
>>44990405
>>44990405
White or Black
2 years
My friends always have new decks from formats to play against me with. So I always bring out a random deck. I have a top tier legacy deck, a turn 3 win modern deck and a shitty homebrew "as many ways to cheat out emrakul as possible" deck. So it really depends.
A few thousand. Mostly Khans and MM2 commons.

How about we help out the new players with deckbuilding?
>evolving wilds
Do you run more than one colour? The only reason to run this card is to get the colour land you need. The "fetches" from Khans of Tarkir are much better at this, but are way more expensive.
The only other reason to run it is if you needed to shuffle your library, and chances are you arent playing a combo deck with heaps of scry. Just run more basic lands, your deck will be faster and better
>>
>>45005083
>fatties and bombs
These cards are basically "win more" outside of control decks. Theres absolutely no point in running a Void Winnower in an aggro deck, you will never get the mana to play it and its a waste of a card. Instead, play lots of cards that help your plan along.
Sure, 1 game in 10 you might play the emrakul, but otherwise he is a liability. If you get to play him you are winning anyway. This is the justification for no hero of Bladehold in tokens
I recently fixed some guys deck up at my Lgs. It was mono black aggro-control, played 25 lands, contained a mindslaver and a gristlebrand with no way to play him for cheap.
Instead, I stuck some discard in there, heaps of deathtouch and value creatures, cut a whole bunch of mana, and chucked in a heap of removal as that helped his deck way more
>>
>>44990405

It's weird. I love the color blue from a theoretical standpoint. It does things that interest me. But I find in practice I suck at using it. So my favorite colors tend to be the simpler ones, i.e. green and red. I'm a Timmy that wishes he could be a Johnny. The only color I don't like to play with is black, simply because I don't like the way it wins, the...cruelty of it, I guess.

I actually started when it was pretty young. My first ever booster park of cards was from The Dark, and I remember being excited for Ice Age and Fifth Edition and the like, but I was a kid with no one to really teach me how to play. Once interest at my school died down, I put it on the backburner. I only really picked it up again post 2006 or so, and have bought most of my cards from that era on. I regret selling off my old cards to a random guy in college. Ah, well.

Not at all, mostly because I suck at optimizing. My buddies are better at it and one builds weird decks for fun as a hobby, but when we all get together for Commander, we have some "spirit of Commander" rules to make the games last a little longer and let people actually play.

Never counted. Five to six thousand?
>>
>>45005162
>get 5 mana by turn 3
>play ad nauseum, get a bunch of 0 cost artifacts, rituals and tutors, tutor tendrils of agony
Or
>take your hand away, kill everything you play and hit you with a goyf every turn
No. Black is fun.
>>
>>45005205
Not my kind of fun, but I won't pretend it's not effective. Also three other guys in my group play black.
>>
>>45003523
Bump, got mostly BFZ, Theros and OotG cards
>>
shalom friends; recently attended fnm and keen for more "fun" play w/ significant other
duel/clash decks worth getting? are planeswalkers exclusively sealed off behind boosters/individual purchases?
i opened a nissa @fnm, never drew, keen to use but wouldnt want 'unfair' advantage
thanks
>>
>>45005535
Ramp is probably the more effective strategy out of those sets
Regardless, I would get a playset of each Urza land, expedition maps, ancient stirrings, eggs and then play your devoid eldrazi as a win condition. Tron is only expensive because of a few cards
>>
>>45005606
>eggs
You mean odyssey eggs?
>>
>>44990405
I used to play red and blue, but now I mainly blue and white. I recently started to use black, but only in a B/W deck (I found some old Orzhov cards form one of my brother)

I started playing like twelve years ago with my brothers, but i did not play for eight years until one month ago, when some friend of mine found a lot of cards in a crate.

Not much, we play casually. We try to get the best of our deck, but we are not looking for the ultra rare card to pimp our deck. We are just having fun.

Counting my brother's card (they stopped playing, sadly), I must have something like 600-700 cards. But where I play with my friend we have a collection (the crate they found) to build our deck, with something like a thousand cards.
Because I recently started playing again, I'd like to expand my card collection to start new decks. I looked at the intro deck for the "Oath of the GateWatch". Are they worth it ? Or should I look for something else ?
>>
>>45005765
I mean chromatic star and chromatic sphere
>>
>>45005863
Intro decks are really bad anon and arent fun
Learn about a format that you like the look of. Standard, Modern, Legacy or Commander and then learn the game from there. Look at decks online for your chosen format and learn what cards are good or bad

Standard plays cards from the last 5 or 6 sets. You can always buy boosters for them, cards tend to be cheaper (not always, you can blow thousands on Jeskai black and still get blown out by any modern deck), though games are less skill intensive, longer and less fun

Modern plays any card from 8th edition (2002 or so) onwards. It has a fair size ban list. Because it plays older cards, it is more expensive, and powerful. Turn 2 win with infect and Affinity is rare, but not unheard of. Decks have to be able to win or control by turn 4 or they arent modern decks. It tends to be the most popular format of people who know what they are doing.
Legacy is an eternal format, cards from every set and expansion are legal. It has a very long ban list. It is the most broken format though not the fastest. Think free counterspells, massively broken combos, unbreakable prison decks, playing a 15/15 for free. Basically every deck can win by turn 2-3 because most decks are combo decks, but it rarely happens due to free counterspells, the ability to manipulate your draws/library, and land destruction. This format is not popular due to the price of certain cards being ridiculous but you can play a lot of legacy decks extremely cheaply. Legacy is also amazingly fun.
Commander has 99 card decks plus a legendary creature as commander. You can only have 1 of every card in there, has to be the same colours as your commander, you can run as many basic lands as you want. It is very popular and almost everyone plays it, however it is slow and time consuming. There is always the anti-fun player who plays ensnaring bridge or ghostly prison, grand arbiter and just fucks you constantly though.

I would recommend starting with standard/legacy
>>
>>44994416
material has absolutely nothing to do with value. or dont you accept 500$ bills someone gives you because they are PAPER?
>>
>>45005998
Wait. I think I need to get a bigger collection because I don't think I have 100 unique cards total in my entire collection for a single color.
>>
Anything but White

A little over 5 years now, started right before Innistrad came out

Modern deck is competitive
EDH decks, while being casual, are also pretty optimized. Friends are competitive overall.

At least 5-6K, most of it is bulk though.
>>
>>44990405
Red mixed with pretty much anything
I played and collected on and off starting with Onslaught, but only got serious about it when Innistrad came out.
Not at all. My group is all fairly new (all started around Theros) so I don't want to blow them out. Besides, casual leads to crazy design space for your decks so throwing together fun jank is the best.
Way too fucking many, all of which are from the old days. I have to sell off the bulk/pack fodder but I've never dealt with that before, I started buying singles when Innistrad dropped
>>
Fav color. Everyone
Playing since alpha.
As for how optimized my decks are, when me and my fellow card sharks get together I grab one of my many office boxes full of decks. I have 13 of them I like the more random ness of availability and I also bring other options for my friends.
As for how many cards I own.. if my wife finds this out she'd kill me she's always trying to get me to sell some so I can buy her new stuff. But its in excess 645k easy.
But when it comes down to the fact I perfer artifact decks and I never use planeswalkers because it takes away from om the original premise of the game, "you are a planeswalker". Look it up in any old paper manual
>>
>>45007474
Well I mean, that's still the premise of the game, and is still something they push to new players. The idea of the walker cards is that they are other walkers you call in to help you out.
>>
How well does this synergize with Scion-spawning monsters?
>>
>>45009953
Whenever you sacrifice a Scion they will die, thus triggering Zulaport Cutthroat's ability.
>>
>>45010034
So, reccomended for a casual scion ramp?
>>
>>45010049
If you think you'll need/want an extort effect, sure. Why not?
>>
>>45007474
How the hell do you have 645,000+ cards? That's at least 43,000 15-card packs. You've spent over $172,000 minimum on cards mate.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>45009953
That will especially work if you have pic in your deck. I just got 2 out of a couple packs and I'm gonna surprise everyone with a new Green/Red eldrazi casual deck I'm making.
>>
>>45010144
Yeah, I got one of those, plus 2 brood monitors
Gon' be fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 200x285
Is it considered a dick move to play something this powerful in a deck where putting hexproof and flying on all your creatures is normal? I had it lying around in my "Rares and mythics" shoebox.
>>
>>45010276
Nah. Bring the pain.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 223x310
>>45010276
Eh. Having a 24/24 hexproof+trample by turn 9 is super powerful. Not as powerful as having a 27/27 on turn four with pic+wordmail though.
>>
>>45010170
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/more-scions
Threw something together quickly. Could be fun?
>>
File: liveforchaos-blisterpod_zWMdsyw.png (213 KB, 241x347) Image search: [Google]
liveforchaos-blisterpod_zWMdsyw.png
213 KB, 241x347
>>45011294
Forgot pic
>>
>>44994213
>Not Tinkering for vault/key or painter/grindstone
What a faggot
If youre gonna mill with tinker, do it right
>>
>>45011294
Yeah. Looks like fun to me. Never played a deck that used colorless mana before.
>>
>>45010276
Nah, it's fine. It's not like you're cheating Emrakul on the table or anything.

I run a Predator Ooze fight club deck with that thing in it. It's a pretty good clock to hide under Canopy Cover.
>>
>>45011402
He enjoys a slow victory that pushes you into conceding rather than actually winning. It's a good thing he doesn't follow modern or I'm certain he would build lantern control
>>
>>45010276
I had some filthy casuals at the shop get mad at me for using 4x prime time and 3x summoner's pact in my green stomp list. Ignore fags that get mad at good cards and tell them to fucking git gud
>>
>>45012902
Spotted the compettetive player.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 251x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 251x355
Since We're talking about cards, how's this one for a wincon?
>>
>>45013243
I'm not real competitive, I have a modern deck and play in the events on modern night but most of my decks are pretty casual. I just believe in improving them over time rather than dwelling in perpetual mediocrity. All of the cards in it were booster pulls or shit I traded for so it's not like I blew a bunch of money on a strictly casual deck
>>
>>45012902
Nobody is giving me shit and I play 4x mind's desire, petals moxes,yawg's bargain etc...

I basically play a 4x modified bannlist
>>
>>45013430
It's shit. So go nuts
>>
>>45013430
Eh. If the casual games your friend plays drag on long enough that this is a valid wincon option then go for it.
>>
>>45006286

The beauty of edh is that it uses cards that aren't good in any other format, but are genuinely good in edh, so you can actually build a fairly optimized deck with 90% of the cards being less than $5, and furthermore if you do decide you want a pricier card in your deck, you only need to buy one copy instead of 4 to play other formats
>>
Whats the best white instant released within the last three sets for a casual deck? Just fishing for opinions here.
>>
>>45015036
valorous stance
>>
>>45015036
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color=+@(+[W])&type=+[%22Instant%22]&set=|[%22Theros%22]|[%22Born%20of%20the%20Gods%22]|[%22Journey%20into%20Nyx%22]|[%22Khans%20of%20Tarkir%22]|[%22Fate%20Reforged%22]|[%22Dragons%20of%20Tarkir%22]|[%22Battle%20for%20Zendikar%22]|[%22Oath%20of%20the%20Gatewatch%22]|[%22Magic%202015%20Core%20Set%22]|[%22Magic%20Origins%22]

list of white instants released from theros to now including M15 and origins.
>>
>>45015241
Thanks anon.
>>
>>45015036
I gotta say it's Inbetween artful maneuver ( a +2/+2 and rebound) and dazzling reflection (You heal for target creature's power and it can't deal damage to you this turn). Both are 1+W and common so casual players should have them.
>>
is dragonstorm an acceptable casual deck? what if I replace 4x bogardan hellkite with some of the FTR/DTK dragons?
>>
>>45015977
>dragonlord kolaghan
>atarka, world render
>kolaghan, the storm's fury
>dromoka, the eternal
>swing for 80 the turn you go off

sounds like you don't want to make friends desu senpai
>>
>>45016426
heh, it's effective and actually a lot more flavorful for a "dragonstorm" deck. I like it.
>>
page 10 bump lmao
>>
>>44998387
Mana tithe. No idea about price/format legality. Too lazy to gatherer
>>
>>44990566
>2 dollars plus shipping
you got fleeced, son
MKM if you're European, tcgplayer if you're American
eBay is mostly good for big-name $20+ cards
also never use more than 60 cards
>>
File: common-courtesy.jpg (83 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
common-courtesy.jpg
83 KB, 480x680
>>44994518
>not playing Unhinged cards to fuck with your friends
diggy
If we're playing casual we're playing casual and you can bugger off if you get mad at me playing stupid shit

I've got a Modern, several Legacy and a trillion Pauper decks too so if you want to get your Spike on we can do that instead, but fuck if I'll play some stupid shitty tribal deck just so my casual deck isn't overpowered as fuck

playing crappy, stupid cards is the only way I'm having fun in this non-format
>>
>>44994416
>I've wasted more money than most competitive players ever do, but I have nothing to show for the money I spent and my collection is just as worthless as it was when I started

Fixed

I'll wipe the tears I'm feeling at my immaturity with my Gaea's Cradles (30/ea) playset of Snapcasters (10/ea) and my Zendikar fetches to mention a few
>>
>>44999260
given that you play mono-blue you're probably awful, dude
>>
>>44998728
It's quite literally the worst
>>
>>44990405
What's your favorite color deck to play with?
>UW

How long have you been playing MTG?
>Since Time Spiral. But on and off.

>I rarely play constructed. Last time I played it I was playing some enchantment bullshit thanks to ravnica and theros blocks.

How many cards do you have in total?
Quite a lot. I keep a drawer full of it. Mostly commons and uncommons though.
>>
File: 1st try.png (153 KB, 502x647) Image search: [Google]
1st try.png
153 KB, 502x647
I guess this is the best place to ask,

super tl;dr I'm supposed to be running an unsanctioned FNM the usual turn out is like ~3-5 people. It's more of a general video/book/hobby store so lots of not-mtg people come in. I want to advertise a little and was going to put a flier on the doors. the main audience is casual players since we don't really have anything to offer serious player. Here's a rough draft of the flier, any suggestions at all? I've never done any shit like this before and I feel retarded.
>>
>>45021653
Looks alright, but if you are posting those anywhere but your store I would put an address on it somewhere
>>
>>45005998
>Standard, Modern, Legacy or Commander
Legacy is the only good one of those and it's completely unplayable unless you're rich or Chinese
Commander can be fine but it's still pretty expensive for the most part thanks to the massive amount of casuals who've started playing it, and it's only fine if everyone playing it is terrible at Magic, or really good at building shitty decks that don't win without feeling bored about it.
It's way too easy to just build a deck that wins everything, and I just get frustrated when I have to pretend I'm having fun while pulling my punches and playing shittier cards and strategies than I know could easily be subbed in.

>>45005863
>>45006286
Play Pauper if you'd like to have fun with Magic without paying money out the ass.

Buy the cards needed for your chosen deck(s) individually, collections for most people are useless because 90% of them aren't worth the cardboard they're printed on. A collection actually worth not using in your fireplace in lieu of other fuel will come from trading, not from anything else, and you definitely don't have one yet, so don't worry about it.
>>
>>45022318
>>45005998
Also I didn't read your Legacy description but holy shit just shut the fuck up you have absolutely no clue what the fuck you're talking about Jesus Christ
>>
>>45010106
Eh, some people buy bulk cards because they're hoping to win the lottery.

I'm more worried about where the fuck he's keeping all of them.

Assuming a thickness of 0.5 mm (I couldn't find an exact number) and the average dimensions are 8.8 cm x 6.3 cm that's 1.8 (2 if sig figs but fuck you I'm not in school) cubic metres of pure, compressed cardboard. Assuming there's like, any fucking air between them it'll be significantly more

It's at the very least 1800 liters of Magic the Gathering, just taking up space that could be spent on... I dunno, a hobo?
>>
>>45010276
Why would playing shitty creatures be considered a dick move?
>>
>>45021653
This is incredibly cute

I want to be my usual angry, mean and hateful self but it's hard

Depending on whether or not you want people who don't already play Magic to come in (and you do, because people who already do won't actually bother showing up for your event), you should expand just what in god's name the fuck you're talking about. A random non-mtg person (the kind of person who frequents the store, it sounds like) won't necessarily know what any of those words mean. Keep some introductory decks lying around to loan to people (just something cheap, simple, mono-colored and evocative for each color maybe) and describe (extremely shortly, 20 words or less preferably) what Friday Night Magic is, what Magic the Gathering is and why they should come in and play

If you want to attract people who already play you can do that but that's a bad goal
>>
>>45022345
Tell me how I am wrong in any way, anon
Is modern not a turn 4 format?
Is standard not boring?
Is legacy not full of combo decks that are policed by Wasteland, Stifle and Force of will?
Shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>45021653
Use a better font and some hype formatting. Try comic sans and rainbow colors to show you're a fun and accepting group!
>>
File: 2nd try.png (101 KB, 495x638) Image search: [Google]
2nd try.png
101 KB, 495x638
>>45023083
i couldnt figure out how to make rainbow colors but I tried to make it real hype and cool. how is this?
>>
>>45023060
Legacy is not full of combo decks you fucking inbred, and Legacy was the one I was saying you have absolutely no fucking clue about. I didn't read your Legacy description before my first post, which was why I made another to clarify how fucking insanely wrong and inept and probably homosexual you are.

There's literally only three combo decks that are competitively strong. Storm, Elves and Sneak/Show. Of those, only ANT Storm is Tier 1.

Shardless BUG, Delver (BUG and Grixis are the best-positioned and individually tier 1, so Delver as a whole is A+++) and Miracles are the pillars of the format, and none of them are combo you imbecile.

Games last for fucking ever because it's the single grindiest format in existence. Go ahead and tell me how the three best deck archetypes can combo-win before turn 4.
Grixis Delver is the closest maybe with Delver blind-flipping, Young Pyromancer turn 2 with 4 Git Probe, Turn 3 double Lightning Bolt and swing with everything, and that's such absurd levels of magical christmasland it's not even worth pretending it's a thing

So no, Legacy is not full of combo decks, and it's not policed by Wasteland and Stifle (though Force of Will is arguable)

I have no fucking idea what makes you think (you don't do that in any remotely sensible fashion) people play Wasteland and Stifle versus combo. Tempo beats the living tar of fair decks more than it does combo decks.

The aforementioned three combo decks make up ~80% of the combo decks played in competitive Legacy which is only 29% of the total metagame, Control/Beatdown in various shapes splitting the remaining 71% fairly evenly, so why the fuck were you talking back stupid son of a bitch? Why did you feel the need to respond? Just because you felt you weren't retarded? Did you really want someone to beat into your stupid little head why you're wrong? Well there you go, you're wrong, you're bad and you should feel bad.

Fuck off.
I don't know why I'm angry
>>
>>45023359
This is a casual general if you haven't noticed.

Does anyone have tips on storing old cards and card packs? I have a couple unlimited edition card packs in the attic I'm too afraid to open and I don't know how to store cards long term.
>>
>>44990405
>favorite color
I love green, I've always been a timmy at heart.

>how long?
About twelve years now at varying degrees

>how competitive?
That entirely depends. I am not a "casual only player" so I have my dumb jank decks that I've made over the years, some with legit strategies some that are akin to what a 12 year old makes with a starter deck and a few packs, as well as my actual coneptitive decks I bring to local events. It's all about what I and my opponent feel like playing.

>how many cards?
10s of thousands, and barely any are worth the paper they're printed on
>>
How viable is a common-only deck for casual play if everyone makes one too?
>>
>>44990405

When I play with friends I just play one of my pauper decks: UB delver, mono u delver, boros kitty blue, rug tron, or mbc.

It's either that, or play storm and let them watch me having fun with myself all evening.
>>
>>45026142
Pauper is a format, a pretty neat one too if your group can get access to some older cards. With only recent cards it kind of devolves into delverfiend.dec, though, especially with the big combo deck getting a key piece banned recently.
>>
>>44999225
>manaless dredge 40 bucks
>a deck which runs 4x bazaar
Kek
>>
As to the question of how and where I store my cards. I was lucky to have a very helpful parent who own a card shop, and no I dont mean pokemon, I mean sports. Unfortunately by the time I was full on in the game and my dad too I lost my parents. So most of my free time was deck building. I still own the shop but it looks condemned, its in Compton. As for my wife she doesn't ask alot from me when it comes to the question of mtg because I've made a career out of being neurotic and a perfectionist. As for the idea of bulk buying I haven't bought anything like that since the last time I bought the last of the stock from another shop like 5 years ago. I buy what I want when I need it or look through inventory. The downside to it is I have kids with autism and a wife who is in and out of the hospital because of her lupus, so what free time I get is either with you seagulls or on the Oracle.
>>
>>45023358
the fedora is a nice touch. add some MLP to the unused space at the bottom
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.