[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst part of being a guard player?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: for the emprah.jpg (20 KB, 250x324) Image search: [Google]
for the emprah.jpg
20 KB, 250x324
So I'm getting into collecting the imperial guard, and as far as I can gather, while /tg/ loves the imperial guard for being badass, they don't seem to think it's a very fun army to actually play. Is there a reason?
>>
>>47440163
Lots of models to paint. LOTS of models.
>>
File: 1416098839953.gif (1 MB, 326x256) Image search: [Google]
1416098839953.gif
1 MB, 326x256
In terms of actually gaming, I had a great time playing Guard. So many dice to roll.....
>>
>>47440163
Just bouncing off your thread how the fuck do Guard work? I see that an infantry platoon is 2 squads and then a platoon command unit, but can squad A, and Squad B operate basically entirely separate from each other, no need to maintain distance etc.? I assume that the platoon system is so guard can get a shitload of infantry on the table without going over the CAD.

But I've also noticed you can add heavy weapon squads and special weapons squads, but if you killed one of those auxiliary squads for example does it count as first blood, or does the whole platoon need to be wiped out? and do these auxiliary squads also work as independent units that can run around and do their own things?

Also how does it work when you bring Chimeras into the mix? Should you get one for each squad and then have the platoon command slog it on foot or should you get a Chimera for them as well?
>>
>>47440272
Well (OP here), as far as I can tell, platoons only actually matter in terms of force organisation (and combined squads), and then their units just work as normal in terms of gameplay (so a weapons team would give you first blood)

and then I think chimera is up to you
>>
Moving 10 trillion infantry. Field a tank division and kiss your wallet goodbye.
>>
>>47440325
Thats what I assumed.

I want to start a guard army but it seems like its gonna be pretty cost prohibitive if I'm gonna need a Chimera for every squad and the platoon leaders.

I was thinking of doing a Lord Commissar, 2 platoons of infantry with pretty basic loadouts, Chimeras for each squad, and then a Leman Russ which works out to be about 1k points with upgrades. But if I'm gonna need Chimeras for the platoon leads its gonna throw me off on points and I'd like to save $75 now and if I expand later I don't wanna have to get 3 chimeras for each platoon I might add on
>>
>>47440423
It is heresy to not supply your soldiers properly. Unhinge thine wallet.
>>
>>47440471
yea its Warhammer so I'm willing to throw some cash but whatever site had that poll that said Guard players typically only play Guard makes sense because its looking like this is probably the most expensive army.
>>
>>47440163
If you think playing guard makes you use a lot of models, try playign Renegades and heretics. They are much cheaper in points, can be in far more number then IG, and they have nice daemon stuff
>>
>>47440163
Take a look at 1d4 about Guard armies they cover pros cons and different guard armies.
>>
>>47440163
What really bugs me is the Leman Russ tank. Its ugly and a mess a left over of 2nd edition, but I'm afraid its to ingrained to be replaced but a less retarded design
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.