[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone actually played the Ghostbusters RPG from way back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: ghostbusters1.jpg (71 KB, 359x450) Image search: [Google]
ghostbusters1.jpg
71 KB, 359x450
Has anyone actually played the Ghostbusters RPG from way back in the day? Was it good?
>>
File: 1383349801213.jpg (29 KB, 316x488) Image search: [Google]
1383349801213.jpg
29 KB, 316x488
>>47438439
I ran gurps 4e; Ghostbusters Tokyo
Shit was fun
>>
>>47438439

I actually hadn't heard of this until now, but I totally want to run some kind of Ghostbusters themed game with now. With all the anti-hype around the shitty reboot, it feels like the perfect time for it. Make our own Ghostbusters 3 and shit.

Thanks.
>>
>>47438439
It's surprisingly well thought-out for being a cash grab. The rules are dated, but some of the concepts are ahead of its time.

>>47438820
It's weird how people are getting so worked up over the reboot. If you don't like it, just don't pay to watch it, problem solved.
>>
File: ss whougonnacall.jpg (47 KB, 827x554) Image search: [Google]
ss whougonnacall.jpg
47 KB, 827x554
>>47438439
Iirc the original system was kinda shitty? Although we were like 13 when we tried it out for a couple of hours and simple, or freeform, systems weren't a thing back then, it was THAC0-math or gtfo.
>>
File: RickMoranis.jpg (338 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
RickMoranis.jpg
338 KB, 500x500
>>47438439
It was a lot of fun, definitely aimed at a younger crowd, but holy shit was it enjoyable to play. WEG were a top-tier publisher in their day.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/60jam96dzj8fxxl/Ghostbusters+RPG+-+Training+Manual.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k8549aydzvy9uwc/Ghostbusters+RPG+-+Operations+Manual.pdf
>>
>>47438937

I agree 100%, I was just saying that all the buzz about it has put me in a Ghostbuster-y mood. Hell, I even made a mental note earlier this very morning to download the original film again so that I can revisit it before seeing this thread.
>>
>>47438937
>It's weird how people are getting so worked up over the reboot. If you don't like it, just don't pay to watch it, problem solved.

It's damn strong, yeah.

I'm underwhelmed by the revealed stuff for the reboot but jesus people are mad.
>>
>>47438439
The WEG Ghostbusters game is really great, really fitting for the source material.
>>
>>47438996

It's just internet outrage culture man. Everyone is just sitting around waiting for the next thing to fly off the handle over, on both sides of the spectrum and regardless of importance in the grand scheme of things.

That being said though, the new Ghostbusters movie does look legitimately bad and justifying the entire reboot's existence on a lame casting gimmick is pretty dumb on several layers.
>>
File: cth3.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
cth3.webm
3 MB, 720x480
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bbzxpbjah8cqqft/Tobins.pdf

Tobins Spirit Guide supplement
>>
>>47438996
>but jesus people are mad.
>>47439102
>It's just internet outrage culture man.

I geddit, but on one of the other boards I lurk on, there's an anon who's devoted to maintaining a 24/7 LOL CUNTBUSTERS thread. Shit's weird.
>>
>>47438451
Do you want to drop those rules are Lincoln on I'm always looking for a new setting for my Gurps campaign
>>
File: img20120217143937.jpg (155 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
img20120217143937.jpg
155 KB, 800x600
>>47438439

Played a Ghostbuster's franchise campaign using Savage Worlds and had the d20 Exorsystems folks show up as our knockoff rivals.

I think there was a house ruled "ghost die" mechanic that was supposed to provide the same jumpsuit wetting anxiety as the original West End Games when you screwed up a skill check really badly.

Was set in 1990s Pinebox Texas, got to play discount Nathan Explosion aka Norsk BurnChurch. Was the metal head on trap duty because he wasn't trusted with the proton packs. Possibly also because his real name was Nortin -Wayne- Burnachuck and thus he was cursed.

Tangled with junkyard Gremlins, the great and mighty sewer poo and friggin Exorsystems.

Culminated in bargaining with a demon to appear at the next divebar concert Norsk's band was opening before the campaign fizzled.
>>
>>47440154
>houseruled Ghost Die mechanic
hardcore Savage Worlds faggot here, that really should be for if you roll snake eyes.

I am terminally jelly of you, though. I planned on running a Mini Six Ghostbusters: London oneshot that never got off the ground. Mostly because I'm in the North and we tend to have a dislike for southern pansies like Laahndaahn.
>>
>>47438439

Does anyone have any more of the supplements? I'd love to see some of the pre-made adventures
>>
>>47438439
One of the funniest games we've ever played. Gave a player an athsma attack because he was laughing so hard. Just don't be looking to run some long, deep campaign. Keep it episodic, light, and absurd when it's appropriate, story when you need to move things to the next absurdity.
>>
>>47438439
I DM a Ghostbusters group online actually. I implemented newer things like experimental equipment, interrogations, bills and equipment maintenance.

For a few sessions there was a Hellboy/Ghostbusters "special" session I did during Easter and Samhain event during the month of October.

In the future I hope to implement more monthly events.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.