[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: demons_demogorgon_2.0.jpg (223 KB, 1800x1187) Image search: [Google]
demons_demogorgon_2.0.jpg
223 KB, 1800x1187
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Demon edition.

What's the best 5e adventure and why is it Out of the Abyss?
>>
Is there any errata saying a Battlemaster can use his superiority dice when punching someone?
>>
Any advice for a first time DM starting Princes of the Apocalypse?
>>
>>47437229
Read the module thoroughly. PotA is fairly open-ended and you'll want to be able to anticipate what's to come based on whatever the party decides to do.
>>
>>47437160
OotA is great but it hands out magic items like candy. At one point you can just talk to a guy and he hands you a Shield Guardian, for no reason.
>>
>>47437182
Unarmed strike errata, the one that removed them from the melee weapon list while clarifying that they still qualify for things that trigger off melee weapon attacks. Relevant portion caps'd:
>Melee Attacks (p. 195). The rule on unarmed strikes should read as follows:
"INSTEAD OF USING A WEAPON TO MAKE A MELEE WEAPON ATTACK, YOU CAN USE AN UNARMED STRIKE: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons). On a hit, an unarmed strike deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1 + your Strength modifier. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes."

It was taken off the weapon list because people were saying "well if I have a shield and no weapon, my fist is my weapon, so I still get the benefit of my Duelist fighting style," or "if I have a longsword in one hand and nothing in my off-hand, I am actually dual-wielding with a fist, so I can use my bonus action to attack like a two-weapon fighter would."

You can still Smite, use Maneuvers, or get your Rage bonus damage on unarmed strikes.
>>
>>47437845

>"if I have a longsword in one hand and nothing in my off-hand, I am actually dual-wielding with a fist, so I can use my bonus action to attack like a two-weapon fighter would."

Seems legit. I mean, that was an entire fighting style back when I played 7th Sea. Sword and Heavy Gauntlet.
>>
>>47437845
Can I sneak attack with my fist?
>>
>>47437879
Unarmed Strikes are not Finnese weapons, as they are not weapons, see >>47437845
Therefore, no Sneak Attacks.
>>
File: SolidSnake.jpg (26 KB, 470x640) Image search: [Google]
SolidSnake.jpg
26 KB, 470x640
>>47437910

Yeah, I guess sneak attacking unarmed is kinda silly.
>>
>>47437910
That's dumb.
>>
>>47437160
what makes the Trove V3? is there new stuff?
>>
>>47437640
It's like 50/50 from people about whether there's like no magic items or there's too many.there's no consensus with this campaign mostly because it's entirely up to the DM.

also to be fair that is near the end of the campaign where it isn't QUITE as op
>>
>>47437640
Well, going through the adventure proper, assuming the party gets every useful magic item.

Chapter 1: Vekynvelve:
2x potion of healing (Ilvara's Quarters)
1x Tentacle Rod? (should Ilvara be killed)

Chapter 2: Into Darkness
10% chance of 1 random magic item from Item Table B (80% consumable items, or some utility stuff)
OR
5% chance of 1-4 magic items from table C (Also mostly consumables, with some nicer utility stuff like Sending Stone or a Decanter of Endless Water).
These can only appear if you roll the Ambushers random encounter while the party is travelling, and even then only if they are ambushed near the ambusher's lair.

15% chance of 1 random item from their table A or table B, only if the Mad Creature encounter is rolled. Likely consumable.

5% chance of 1 random magic item from table B, if the Raiders encounter is rolled.

From set encounters:
A Potion of Invisibility carried by the halfling they can rescue in The Silken Paths.
An infant Hook Horror friend from the Hook Horror Hunt.
A magical mace that can be lit to do 1 extra fire damage, a +1 dagger, Oil of Slipperiness and Greater Healing Potion from The Oozing Temple.
A sentient Sunsword from the Lost Tomb of Khaem.

Chapter 3: The Darklake
5% chance of a table B magic item from the Deurgar Keelboat encounter.
2x healing Potion, 1x Water Breathing Potion, and a Spell Scroll of Light from the Archpriest's house in Slubloodop.

Chapter 4: Gracklstugh
The Stonespeaker Crystal from Cairngorm Cavern
An Oil of Sharpness, Potion of Flying, Potion of Longevity and Potion of Supreme Healing from Themberchaud's lair.
A scroll of See Invisibility, 2x Healing Potion, a spellbook with Tenser's Floating Disk and Feign Death, Boots of Speed and a sweet-ass hat from Droki.
2x Healing Potion, 1x Greater Healing Potion, 1x Potion of Fire Breath, 1x Potion of Psychic Resistance from the Grey Alchemist's lair.
A Keoghtom's Ointment from the Cultist Hideout.
Pelek's Ring, a single use Stoneskin.

(cont)
>>
Relatively new to character creation. Friends are planning a Zendikar-based dungeon brawler one-shot for our DM's birthday to get drunk to and just have fun.

I made a Kor bard and was wondering: if I choose the lore college, I get my extra spells from my regular spell secrets, reaching the max number indicated in the PHB and then add the Lore spells I get on top of that amount, correct?
>>
>>47438486
Chapter 5: Neverlight Grove
As many Potions of Greater Healing as you have party members.
3 scrolls, Protection from Fiends, Remove Curse and Spider Climb.
+2 Studded Leather
+2 Shortsword
A Bag of Holding

Chapter 6: Blingdenstone
+1 Shortsword from the gelatinous cube incursion
A blessing of either Protection or Weapon from the priest
A potion of Invisibility and an Earth Elemental Gem from Rockblight
Spell scrolls of Conjure Minor Elementals and Speak with Plants, and a 1x use Crystal ball of True Seeing in the Throne Room
Two spellbooks during the battle, which are badass for Wizards
A spell gem.

Chapter 7: Escape
Tentacle Rod (if they didn't already kill Ilvara)

Chapter 8: Gauntlgrym
A Shield Guardian , if you can beat a Wizard in three Int checks (which he has +9 to, how easy it is depends on if your DM lets you add proficiency with chess sets and if you have it to begin with)
A +1 weapon from the Order of the Gauntlet
Goggles of Night and Dust of Disappearance if you do something stupid like kill Davra.

Chapter 9: Mantol-Derith
1-4 table A magic items from the Drow Warehouse
1-4 table B magic items from the Duergar Warehouse
1-4 table C magic items from the Deep Gnome Warehouse
3x Potion of Vitality from Zilch's cave
A Flame Tongue longsword from the Eyemonger's lair.

Chapter 10: Descent
A Hat of Disguise and Cloak of Elvenkind with a silly name that falls apart in sunlight from the spy lady in Menzoberranzan

Chapter 11: Gravenhollow
A Stonespeaker Crystal if they don't already have one.

Chapter 12: Araj
A Cloak of Elvenkind and a Scroll of Protection from Fiends for everyone, along with a CR12 treasure horde if they attack and kill Vizeran.

Chapter 13: Wormwrithings
A+2 longsword, a +1 dagger, a Potion of Invisibility, a Ring of Protection and spell scrolls of Shield and Phantasmal Force from the Trog lair
2x Potion of Greater Healing and a Gem of Brightness from the Worm Nursery
(cont)
>>
File: 1462418265013.jpg (327 KB, 927x1000) Image search: [Google]
1462418265013.jpg
327 KB, 927x1000
Would an orc with the Savage Attacker feat get to reroll the extra crit-hit die if he uses his Savage Attacks racial ability?
>>
>>47438952
A potion of healing, potion of poison, scroll of Globe of Invulnerability, Gem of Seeing, Necklace of Adaptation and a Robe of Eyes from the Vast Oblivium.

Chapter 14: The Labyrinth
A Daern's Instant Fortress, which itself contains a Potion of Mind Reading.

Chapter 15: City of Spiders
A Tentacle Rod f you can kill Quenthel Baenre (who is CR 22).

Chapter 16: The Fetid Wedding
1-6 table C magic items if the Death Tyrant is rolled in Araumycos

Chapter 17: Against the Demon Lords
None.

Most of the times are consumable desu.
>>
>>47439010
Yeah, feat is still garbage though.
>>
File: 1462415277487.jpg (306 KB, 763x1000) Image search: [Google]
1462415277487.jpg
306 KB, 763x1000
>>47439155
Sweet! I'm interested in it for upping druid Wild Form damage.
>>
>>47439142
actually you can get the wand of orcus in the last chapter
>>
>>47439268
Cock, I knew I was forgetting something. Good catch.
>>
>>47438952
>>47439142
There are a couple that were missed. Scimitar of Speed, the Ruby Gem the priest hands you that can walk away with, the wand of orcus.

Also The shield Guardian I had mentioned can be given to you even if you fail at chess.

>If Zelraun proves unbeatable, you can
decide that Zelraun. ever the gracious winner, loans the shield guardian and amulet to the party on the provision that the characters vow to redeem themselves with a rematch upon their return from the Underdark.
>>
Gonna run CoS for a party of two PC and two NPCS , anything I should be wary about?
>>
>>47439392
I missed the scimitar of speed yeah, though I always assume the characters will actually follow through with the Ruby Gem rather than piss off the Deep Gnomes and risk getting thrown out.

Maybe it's just my style as a DM but I regarded the "Give them the shield guardian anyway" thing as a bit of a copout. I played Roaringhorn as being too proud and the harpers hesitant to help out the expedition, unless they appealed to his love of gambling (verging on an addiction). His honour as a nobleman means he upholds his end of the bargain if he loses, but he'll just be smug if he wins.
>>
im first time DMing the starter set adventure, and im really liking it do far. Running a party of 3 (Eldritch Knight, Assassin, Light Cleric). After its over im thinking about just running it headlong into Hoard of the dragon queen and letting them steamroll the lower level stuff. Thoughts?
>>
Say there's two party members: Steve the Wizard and Dave the Battlemaster Fighter. Both are level 17.

Steve uses True Polymorph to turn Dave into an adult gold dragon. He maintains concentration for the full hour, and it becomes permanent. Dave is now an adult gold dragon. Does he keep his Battlemaster manoeuvres?

After a week of being a dragon, Dave gets bored and wants to go back to being Dave the Battlemaster Fighter. Steve steps in, and casts True Polymorph again. Can Steve turn Dave back into a level 17 Battlemaster with True Polymorph, since CR is equivalent to level where only one or the other is present? Or would he have to use a 9th level Dispel Magic?

On a similar note, instead of a dragon, could Steve True Polymorph Dave into a 17th level Wizard (essentially a clone of himself, but retaining Dave's personality and alignment)? Can True Polymorph essentially be used to respec an entire character?
>>
>>47439660

I'm less experienced than even you, but wouldn't that be an awful lot of low level content to go through? I would be worried about my players getting bored.

I would either scale up the encounters, or cut out some of the story so that you can catch the players up. Or some mix of both.
>>
>>47439660
I think it's a good way to compensate for Horde of the Dragon Queen being a bit terrible until the end.

However you might need to make adjustments to the plot a little. Have them fall in somehow with reinforcements sent to Greenest to relieve the defenders, rather than simply turning up because. Also they're likely to win the fight against Cyanwrath, so bear that in mind when it comes to fighting off the cult.

From there I'd personally turn it from a somewhat low-key journeying around having random encounters, to a campaign about an all-out war between the Cult of the Dragon and several regional powers. Once you get to chapter 6 you can pretty much run it as-is though I imagine. End it with a bloody siege of Skyreach Castle and the realization that the threat is much bigger, leading into Rise of Tiamat.
>>
One thing I miss from previous editions, mostly 3.x and an obscure supplement in 2e, was the many abnormal and semi-magical materials an object could be made of. Not just mithril, but Kheferu, starmetal, bronzewood, deep crystal, abyssal bloodsteel, etc. Is there any conversion out there for all the abnormal metals and materials from previous editions?
>>
>>47439743
I would argue that, on the basis that his mental ability scores are changed, he's a completely different person. He's now an adult gold dragon with the personality and alignment of Dave. Dave is now an NPC, because Steve is an asshole. Dave has lost his class features as a result. He is however now a Dragon, and probably one disposed to like Steve having been adventuring with him for years now.

Now as to being able to dispel it, well first off Dave is going to end up as a Battlemaster yes (I could say that you can only move level>CR not the other way around but whatever, that sounds no fun), though his appearance and race will be up to Steve and he'll have to rebuild his ability scores thusly. As to dispelling it, I'm going to go with the line "The transformation becomes permanent" as meaning that the spell itself ends after the full duration, but the effects linger on. At that point only divine intervention or Wish can turn you back.

I suppose you could, if we're allowing polymorphing creatures into PCs of level equal to or less than their CR. But it'd be a Wizard that looked a lot like you with the personality and alignment of Dave rather than a clone. He'd have your stats though.
>>
>>47440020
None I've seen, although with how simplified 5e's weapons properties are I doubt they'd be functionally different to a regular magical one in the long run.
>>
File: 1445772977771.jpg (525 KB, 806x952) Image search: [Google]
1445772977771.jpg
525 KB, 806x952
Sorry for the tl;dr in advance

I'm going to be playing D&D for the first time this weekend. Ive never played a tabletop game before but my friends wanted me to come try it. I think he said it was the newest iteration, which I'm assuming fifth edition is.

He said he'll do his best to ease me into it, as in all I need to do is roleplay and he'll walk me through the mechanics until I have my sea legs. He did leave making the character and back story up to me however and I was hoping you guys could help me out since you're pros.
If anyone can spare the time to read this over and help me out at all I'd appreciate it, because I don't know the limits of what you can and can't do as a character. Maybe someone can just troubleshoot my idea and tell me if it's possible, help me iron out the details?

I want to be a person that specializes in traps and interacting with the environment in battle. Is there a class for that?
I pretty much want my character to be like Kevin from Home Alone, haphazardly setting up traps and using props to dispatch enemies. If you deal mostly in traps do you still need a primary weapon?
I want to be a titchy 60 year old man with a big bushy beard and a baggy wool sweater, bald on the top with messy hair on the sides.
Very scrawny frame, coke bottle glasses etc

Back story might be he makes his rounds through the city, pulling a cart around with him working as a traveling cobbler/clocksmith/general 'fixer' of small things and purveyor of oddities and knickknacks.
Because of years of working with very delicate mechanisms he's developed extremely dextrous hands/fingers despite being very clumsy in every other regard.
Obviously a bit of a goofball that's lost in his own world more often than not.

Help?
No idea what the fuck I'm doing. Need to iron out the details.
Too complicated? Not complicated enough?
>>
>>47440088
If you've never played before, a great place to start is reading the players handbook.
Not trying to sound like an asshole, but it's what you need to do. It'll give you a good sense of what you can do. Of course it's D&D so you can do anything, if your DM allows it. But again, if it's your first time you may want to play something simpler.
>>
>>47440025
If a sudden change in mental ability scores was grounds for being NPC'd, then anyone who put on a Headband of Intellect should get the same treatment. Going from 10 Int to 19 Int is a pretty massive change.
>>
>>47440088
Yeah, using traps as your main weapon is difficult in the default rules unless you're playing against really stupid enemies that don't react to watching you lay traps, or if you're defending an area and the monsters are aggressing (which is rare for dungeon crawling)
For a first character, I'd give the classes in the players handbook a read, see what sticks out to you.
Play it straight, be a hero, learn how the game system works.
You can save the weird stuff for when you understand the rules well, things like bags of rats and drop crossbow cycles are advanced techniques.
>>
>>47440352
>>47440216
These.
To be honest, over reaching will ruin your first experience.
Read the base classes, don't go too far from the norm, try weird stuff when you're more used to how everything works.
For reference my first ever character was a dwarvern cleric who had a hammer and shield. Typical as it comes.
>>
>>47439818
i figured that since they'll be such a high level compared to the encounters that they would probably only last a couple rounds max. the RPing out of combat stuff would be fine regardless of character level.
maybe ill ask the group what they think. I have an idea for an original adventure too that i might use. Eastern inspired adventure with the party getting to the bottom of a new drug epidemic that turns its users in to berserk zombies. Maybe lead to fighting a demon of some sort or something.
>>
>>47440463
so think Oni, evil samurai and Opium trade.
>>
>>47439743
Or you know you let Dave shapechange back into a human and regain his class.
He wouldn't just forget how to fight.
>>
>>47440216
>>47440352
>>47440383
How about a pirate then?
I think if I played a super standard sword and board dude I'd get too bored of it.
Is there a class that's effective but also capable of doing some tricksy things?

Can pirates use flintlock pistols? Do firearms even exist in D&D or is it all bows and crossbows?
If I can be a pirate I might be down for that.
I'm asking here because the wiki is kind of hard to digest and I don't have access to a book
>>
>>47440088
Play a rogue thief tinkerer or alchemist.
>>
>>47440521
if youre afraid of regular fighters stuff you could try barbarian or Eldritch knight ( a fighter variant that learns wizard spells)
>>
>>47440521
check out the sword coast adventurers guide Swashbuckler rogue archetype.

Pistols are in the realm of homebrew. Something you'd need to ask your DM to allow.
>>
>>47440521
That depends on your DM.
Ask him if he minds using expansions (I think Sword Coast Adventurers Guide has rules for duelist) and there are semi official rules for black powder guns (I think they're in the DMG but not the core rules maybe?)
If not then a Rogue would be fine for you
You can download the books from the link in this thread though
>>
>>47440521
Play a rogue(swashbuckler) if you want a fencing flavour pirate.

I don't think your DM will let you have guns thus better take one level as dragon sorcerrer and learn firebolt and booming blade.
>>
>>47440572
there's some rules for them in the dmg.
>>
>>47440646
You're right, I forgot about those.
>>
In my campaigns as a DM I have a habit of changing how the story was going to go as originally planned. One situation I planned was the PCs to travel along with a caravan where they could get to the next town quick, nothing would happen to the caravan just be short and have some downtime. Ultimately though they decided to just not and walk the route.

So I decided the caravan would get attacked instead and they have to work with the survivors. Nothing wrong with improv right? I don't do anything that wouldn't make sense prior.
>>
>>47440725
you do you, anon
>>
>>47437933
Shit character.
>>47437937
Shit reply.
Seriously, if you *need* this to be a thing, just work it out with your DM or something. Like fucking adults.
>>
>>47440020
The only ones that don't have a good analog are the ones that help your critical hit confirmation rolls, and kind of the ones that help your arcane spell failure chance (you could probably just make that into a small bonus on concentration saving throws).

The rest could all probably be ported over literally as written with no real problems. Just have the DM control the availability and price.
>>
Why are the feat rules in 5e so dumb

>need to take 4 levels in any subclass class or your feat progression is permanently ruined
>if dual-classing, can't take one level in each class at a time unless you want to be featless for 7 levels
>>
>>47437160
I've been loving my groups OotA campaign thus far. It's been a grand mix of harrowing combat, in depth role play, and occasional hilarity / shenanigans.

What I am looking most forward to atm is meeting Baphomet. I made a fiend warlock but forgot to pick a patron. My DM asked me for my patron mid session 1 and I picked Baphomet not realizing he is in fact a demon Lord. I'm interested to see how my DM will have Baphomet act forwards me, as well as how he will react to the fact that I stole a ritual book from a cultist of Demigorgon.
>>
>>47440521
>>47440088
Both of these concepts work in game, but how well depends largely on the game your DM will be running.

Most of your standard traps only work well on people sized humanoid opponents. None of them work on flying enemies. Your DM could have a relatively low magic campaign were you are fighting a rebellion against a king or something, in which case dumping a bunch of ball bearing or setting up bear traps on the ground might do you some good.

If you are fighting dragons and harpies, giant snakes and elementals? The traps aren't going to do anything for you.

Being a pirate type character is pretty easy, though using guns is up to your DM.

The good news for you though? No matter which of these concepts you want to play, you are going to start off in rogue. At level 1 you don't really have much gold to spare either, so its not like you will get a gun even if they are available, and you won't be buying many traps either.

So just make a level 1 rogue, to do that use the players handbook. You can download the pdf if you use the link in the OP. Whether or not you make a pirate or trapmaster, that won't be decided until level 3 when you choose your archetype (you would choose thief for trap master, since it will make laying traps a bonus action. you would choose swashbuckler for a debonair kind of pirate (found in the sword coast adventure guide, same place you found the PHB), or probably thief if you wanted a pirate with less flair and more ability to work the rigging and be on a ship.

TL;DR. Make a level 1 rogue. Play the game and figure out what you would actually like from there.
>>
File: aw yeah.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
aw yeah.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>47441027
>Trade offs for multiclassing
Music to my ears.
>>
>>47441027
To prevent people from abusing multiclassing like in previous editions.
>>
>>47441027
Because the feats are much stronger than they have ever been, on average anyway.

Second off, taking 1 level of a class and then alternating is absofuckinglutely retarded, regardless of feat progression. If you did it with martial classes you get no second attack until level 9, if you do it with spellcasting classes you are fucked out of casting high level spells (you get the slots, but don't get the spells).

Multiclassing is best done with dips in this edition (sometimes you can get away with large chunks of each class, but you don't alternate leveling with them), and those are strong enough that it makes a good either/or choice for feats and ASI Getting 2 levels or warlock, for instance, is pretty absurd for all char based casters, what balances it out is slowing down your feat/ASI progression and (marginally) slowing down your spell advancement.
>>
>>47441158
>"If your concept doesn't happen to fit perfectly into one of these ten slots, fuck you."
The way you stop multiclassing abuse is to grow a fucking spine and tell abusive players to stop, not make it even harder for someone with a non-standard concept in a class-based system to actually have a chance at realizing that concept.
>>
>>47440088
This right here

In all seriousness though, what you're looking for is most likely a Thief because they're better at using things like alchemist's fire (molotov cocktails) and bear traps and marbles and stuff

Or a wizard, you could honestly just treat all the fun spells as mechanical contraptions, like grease, catapult, fog cloud, ray of sickess, sleep etc
>>
>>47441212
>>47441226
Pretty much these two got it

Multiclassing in this edition is less "in equal measure a rogue and a wizard" and more "a rogue who dabbles in wizardry"

There are still character concepts that can use more or less equal levels in classes but you gotta do it in chunks like take 4 levels of wizard, then 4 of rogue or vice versa
>>
So, I was playing over my old copy of Final Fantasy 1 just for the nostalgia, and I was wondering; the Black Mage has become a pretty solid caster archetype, and you can find variations of it in /v/ and /tg/ media alike. But, could it work in D&D? If so, how?

Like, I could very easily see the Black Mage as just an Evoker Wizard with a spell arsenal focused on Fire, Ice and Lightning damage spells, plus some of the few Wizardly buff spells like Haste.

But I also think that "Black Mage" might be a good basis for a homebrew Sorcerous Origin. He's not a subtle caster, he doesn't have a wide arsenal of spells, but he can sure as hell hose a dungeon down with enough fire, ice and lightning to vaporize any number of mooks. Anyone else agree?
>>
>>47441244
But you can do interesting character concepts that involve multiclassing without having to take a level in each at a time just fine

You're just upset that you can't have your cake and eat it too
>>
>>47438744
Yes. "Magical Secrets" are part of your maximum Spells Known, but "Additional Magical Secrets" are not.
>>
>>47440840
>>47440036
Honestly the one I want most if Kheferu. From 3.5 Sandstorm. Its side property of accumulating salt crystals on its surface would be super useful to me in my current campaign. Salt is one of the primary trade goods across almost every setting. It is incredibly useful for a variety of purposes, but especially for preserving food. Something absolutely everyone needs. So a chain made of a material which accumulates salt crystals on its surface which is then suspended over a barrel on a ship constantly rocking, causing the chain to move and the salt crystals to shake free, would result in cheap and plentiful pure salt accumulating in a barrel. The party could then either sell the salt, or use it to salt and preserve the fish that they catch while at sea.
>>
File: dragonqueen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
dragonqueen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47438111
v1 and v2 got removed by Mega because some putz (Virt) and a WotC employee reported them.
>>
>>47441287
A while ago I was working on a concept for an "Ivalice Mage" class that would subclass into white, black, blue and red but gave up on it

A black mage-ish concept could totally be a sorcerous origin, something that specializes in fire, cold and lightning, maybe with some custom cantrips that just do straight damage and can be upped with metamagic (i.e. thunder, thundara, thundarra, thundaga) and a way to turn slots into metamagic on the fly
>>
>>47441244
Legitimately curious, what character concepts can you not pull off in this edition with a single character class? (Not character mechanics, character concepts)

Hard mode: What character concepts can you not pull off with up to a 3 level dip in another class?
>>
>>47441299
No, I'm upset that my options and methods are being limited because some dumbass DM somewhere doesn't know how to say "No, that's overpowered, I'm not allowing it in my game."

>>47441408
I haven't had a chance to play much 5e yet, so I haven't run into one yet. My point is that there's no reason to limit the option to freely multiclass in support of a concept (and I reject the idea that mechanics aren't a part of a character's concept, by the way) just because some people don't know how to stand up to players trying to abuse the system.
>>
>>47441350
Like I said, your DM can just say it exists and it will. Mechanically here nothing changes between the editions.

Though I imagine the price will be high, since i doubt you would be the only one to think of this.

Have you actually spoken to your DM about this yet?
>>
>>47441383
Well, you can actually already convert spell slots into sorcery points (you know, the stuff you fuel metamagic with?) and vice versa as your level 2 Sorcerer feature, but still, interesting. Don't suppose folks would be interested in discussing it?

Actually... you know, I wouldn't mind talking with you about your "Ivalice Mage" class, maybe see if we can pull it off, anon?
>>
>>47441517
>I haven't had a chance to play much 5e yet, so I haven't run into one yet

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>47441517
>I haven't run into one yet

Kek, way to try and fight for a cause that doesn't exist.

>My point is that there's no reason to limit the option to freely multiclass in support of a concept (and I reject the idea that mechanics aren't a part of a character's concept, by the way) just because some people don't know how to stand up to players trying to abuse the system.

By that logic, shouldn't everyone just freeform?
>>
>>47441517
I still don't understand what you're trying to accomplish, there is nothing that prevents you from multiclassing other than some minimal stat requirements and delaying some features in exchange for others
>>
>>47440088
If you're still here, for what it's worth, you're at least pretty creative. This is probably your type of game and you'll have lots of fun.
>>
>>47441158
I wouldn't say it's that much of a trade-off. You miss a feat but gain most of the defining features of classes right off. Two levels in Fighter gets you Second Wind, Action Surge, some proficiencies, and a Fighting Style; take a third and you get Battlemaster maneuvers, because why wouldn't you pick Battlemaster let's be honest. Compare that to going two or three levels into Wizard; you get the slimmest handful of spells and the first bit of an Arcane Tradition, only a few of which are relevant to all classes (Enchantment, Divination, Transmutation).
>>
>>47439660
I've seen some advice about it before, the idea was to somehow drop them directly into Chapter 6, Castle Naerytar. The Triboar Trail is not that far from it anyway, and you can hook it from Thundertree.

After finishing LMoP they might be approached by one of the major NPCs of Tyranny of Dragons (my advice is Ontharr Frume), saying they noticed the party's actions and would like to enlist them to infiltrate a fortress of the cult and discover its weak points, since it would seem lots of stolen loot from all around the Sword Coast are being hauled and hoarded there. Obviously they'll end up discovering the portal and from then you can follow the adventure.
>>
>>47441287
If you look at Final Fantasy as a whole, Black Mages are just Sorcerers without an origin. The analogue to Wizards are Scholars.

I'm not sure what a Black Mage Sorcerous Origin would really entail. More space warping? Better spell slot conservation? Evocation spells that take more than one turn to cast?
>>
>>47441557
Well the concept was trying to reconcile Vancian magic with mana
Black mages would work by having fire, ice and thunder castable as straight elemental damage first level spells, turning them into stronger versions with higher spell slots

White would have healing and status effects with much the same mechanic

Red would be able to combine white and black into dual casts but wouldn't get access to the strongest versions

Blue would be able to learn monster abilities he is hit with and "store" them in his spell slots

I might pick it up one day but for now it's too complicated, if you want I can whip up a quick black mage sorcerer homebrew, I like to believe I make some more or less balanced stuff
>>
File: Fenix-Vs-Prince-Puma-960x675.png (1 MB, 960x675) Image search: [Google]
Fenix-Vs-Prince-Puma-960x675.png
1 MB, 960x675
From a story standpoint how do Luchador/wrestlers make sense?
In that universe is wrestling real or fake? Is it that wrestling shows are fake but the moves can also be used in actual combat?
How does being a heel/face affect gameplay? If you're a heel are you actually a bad guy or is your character playing a character?
After a certain level you apparently get a title belt. Does the belt appear out of nowhere? Is it the DM's job to come up with a reason as to why they're awarded a championship title?

I'm DMing a new campaign soon and one of my pals wants to be a wrestler.
Any tips for how to write around/police a wrestler? I'm very inexperienced with this class.
>>
>>47441697
I figured it'd be something like this:

Increased Spell List, just in case there are some Fire/Ice/Lightning spells the default Sorcerer is missing out on.

Increased Damage with or Resistance to Fire/Ice/Lightning.

Possibly cribbing the Sculpt Spells trait from the Evoker Wizard.

Boosting the size of Fire/Ice/Lightning damage spells.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head, but I don't really have a solid plan to it myself. That's why I thought I'd toss the concept out here and see if anyone else might have useful suggestions.

>>47441733
Hmm... well, perhaps it might be a good idea to look at the Sorcerer or the Mystic, being the only classes in 5e with any semblance of a "mana system" at the moment, and that might be useful for brewing up your Ivalice Mage.

But, I'd like to try tackling this "Black Mage Sorcerous Origin" idea first. As you said, it's comparatively simple, and in all honesty, I'm not a huge fan of how limited Sorcerous Origins are at the moment.
>>
Away from DMG right now, what's the HP for an inch of stone wall? 12 or something?
>>
>>47441812
Why are you asking us how wrestling works in your setting? You're the DM, you get to decide.
>>
>>47442055
DC15 ish Strength test.

I've never liked giving inanimate objects AC and HP. They aren't combatants, why would you use the combat rules?
>>
>>47442183
Oh just as a reference point, I'm building a dungeon with a crawl space for gibbons and such so I wanted some reference in case someone thinks to smash through the wall.
>>
>>47441906
Well here is what I was thinking:

Level 1 features:
Learn a cantrip that does 1d8+cha damage of fire, cold or lightning type (your choice) to a single target

Spend a spell slot or sorcery point to cast fire/thunder/blizzard doing 3d6 fire/lightning/cold damage on a 10-foot radius, range 60, half damage on dex save
Can spend higher level slots or more points adding 1d6 per level after 1st or sorc point after 1st

Level 6
Spend sorcery points to increase the area of fire/thunder/blizzard by 5 feet radius/point

Level 14
Add CHA as bonus damage to the feature spell

Level 18
Get extra sorc point from converting spell slots
>>
>>47442441
The can trip levels like Fire Bolt and the others do, right?
>>
>>47442472
Basically, think firebolt but with 3 types you can choose from
>>
File: Dario-and-Matanza-Cueto-640x370.png (626 KB, 640x370) Image search: [Google]
Dario-and-Matanza-Cueto-640x370.png
626 KB, 640x370
>>47441812
It's just like handling any other class.

>How do Luchador/wrestlers make sense?
Instead of stabbing shit, they prefer to suplex it.
>In that universe is wrestling real or fake?
Clearly it's real enough to be a viable form of combat.
>Is it that wrestling shows are fake but the moves can also be used in actual combat?
What D&D campaign are you playing in that has television? If you mean there's just wrestling performances, ask yourself the same question about Jousting. War-like activities can also be used non-lethally for entertainment.
>How does being a heel/face affect gameplay?
Your player won't be wrestling other wrestlers 1v1 very often, most of the time they will be pile driving monsters with the rest of the party. But unless it's an evil campaign, or the character is more of a "bad boy" they'd most likely take the roll of the Face when solo wrestling someone else. They are, after all, one of your campaign's protagonists.
>If you're a heel are you actually a bad guy or is your character playing a character?
Depends on their character, or your's. You can't really dictate what the personality of your player's character is going to be. If you put your own Heels into the game to wrestle your player, it's completely up to what kind of story you wish to tell.
>After a certain level you apparently get a title belt. Does the belt appear out of nowhere?
Only if you're a bad DM.
>Is it the DM's job to come up with a reason as to why they're awarded a championship title?
Usually. Also up to the DM to come up with other story progressions for the other characters as well.

I think you're focused too much on the Wrestling aspect of this character. 95% of the combat they participate in will be apart of the group in dungeons or trying to save the world, not sold out 1v1 matches in a stadium with a free hotdog upon ticket purchase.

That's just basic DMing advice, I honestly don't know 5e's mechanics enough to comment on that aspect of the class.
>>
>>47442578
Wrestler isn't a class in 5e, the closest you can get is a barbarian/battlemaster or monk with the manouvers/martial arts fluffed as wrestling moves

I have no idea what anon is talking about honestly
>>
>>47441812
>In that universe is wrestling real or fake?
>After a certain level you apparently get a title belt.
>I'm very inexperienced with this class.

Did your friend tell you there was an official Wrestler class in 5e?
>>
File: lucha.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
lucha.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47441812
>>
>>47442738
I'll bet he's read some shitty dandwiki homebrew.
>>
>>47442784
This is pretty bad, sorry but not only does it hurt my eyes because of the awful formatting but it kinda looks like it was made by someone who only has ever played pathfinder and kinda skimmed over the 5e PHB
>>
File: Konchu.gif (485 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Konchu.gif
485 KB, 900x900
>>47442894
It is an eyesore, much like this thread at this point. Just thought I'd contribute!
>>
Here, if you guys want to make a wrestler you can just use this
>>
Would anyone be interested in a conversion of the Vigilante class from PF for 5e? If you are, what would you consider the most important things to translate? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante
>>
File: 1450354812267.png (29 KB, 183x238) Image search: [Google]
1450354812267.png
29 KB, 183x238
>>47437160
how do you guys divvy up spells known for sorcerers?
Just rolled up a 10th level draconic blaster mage sorc for a 3 shot a friend is running while the normal DM is out, and having trouble with how they should be spread.
A good method sounds like 3 spells known in both 1st and 2nd level, 2 in both 3rd and 4th, and one spell known in 5th.

But all the fun looking spells for a blaster mage are higher level, so that's where the problems I'm having comes in. Thoughts?
>>
>>47443031
Assassin/Vengeance paladin multiclass
>>
>>47443088
And charlatan background
>>
>>47443031
Please no. It's the most unnecessary class anyone has ever conceived of, and that's compared to the rest of Pathfinder which is just a series of unnecessary additions nobody asked for.
>>
>>47443068
To be honest, keeping the spread as you learn them naturally (which gives you roughly two spells per slot level, with extra at 1st and (maybe) 2nd level) serves me pretty well.

You don't want to load up on a bunch of high level spells, because you can only cast like two of them a day. And remember you can always scale up low-level spells with higher level slots, which keeps them relevant if you need damage.
>>
>>47442784
I don't think there was anything in there that I liked
>>
>>47442921
> R8 my hambro
> It sucks
> Ha ha no u
>>
>>47443146
>you can only cast like two of them a day
yeah, but there's always converting sorc points from low level, then into high level slots.
I do see your point about keeping them relevant, though.

I should probably pick spells that scale well with higher slots, then.
Thanks!
>>
>>47443068
Honestly even though the more fun looking spells are higher level you onky have so many spell slots, if anything you could take 2 second level spells and add another 5th
>>
>>47443068
For Sorcerer it's not all that necessary to keep their spells balanced over different levels. Remember the sorcery point system. If you want to focus on the higher level blasting spells you can convert several low-level spell slots into sorcerer points and then used those to generate higher level spell slots. You could probably burn all spell slots and sorcery points to make a dozen higher level spell slots and do nothing but cast a higher level Fireball all day if you wanted.
>>
>>47443141
Well they do ask for them, but I wont disagree with the rest of what you said
>>
>>47443141
While I agree about vig being unnecessary, PF's amount of options is one of the few things I think it has over 5e.
>>
>>47443253
I'm pretty sure most people would disagree, the lack of splat bloat is one of 5e's biggest draws
>>
All this talk of homebrew reminds me I still need to settle the monster that is the Weapon Summoner I shit out ages ago. Fuck.

I built it as a class, but I only ever got one archtype "complete" and think, maybe, I figured out the classes core features. I feel bad leaving the one in the mega at level 5 though... Guess I'll dig it up again.
>>
>>47443265
Eh, even if some options are trap options, I still prefer more.
>>
File: 1429950916478.png (86 KB, 180x248) Image search: [Google]
1429950916478.png
86 KB, 180x248
>>47443183
>you could take 2 second level spells and add another 5th
that actually sounds like a great idea, thanks.
one of my main annoyances was the lack of 2 5th level spells.
Suppose if we hit 11th in this, I'll swap out the extra 1st level for a 6th
>>47443187
Yeah, that's what I was considering as well. I just am unsure if that's really valid, but hell. it's only a 3 shot, might as well try it out.

Thanks, anons.
>>
>>47443288
Trap options are bad design

As it is almost any concept can already be achieved with multiclassing and feats
>>
>>47443359
Multi-classing is bad, and a lot of the feats are too. They're also way too sparse in 5e to make a decent character.
>>
>>47443383
You're kidding, right? None of the feats are bad investments for any character.
>>
>>47443383
>multiclassing is bad
Wew lad
>>
>>47443305
It's viable. You'll burn out quicker than most, but it's certainly more viable than it would be for other classes (albeit not a significant improvement over Wizards and Land Druids who can just regain specifically those spell slots during a shot rest). Still, if you're going to overload a spell level as one type of caster, Sorcerer does it best.
>>
>>47441812
Battlemaster with Tavern Brawler or Monk. Call it a day.
>>
>>47443439
mm, alright, thanks.
I guess I'll just swap out that extra first level now, then.
What would you suggest I put it into?
3rd, 4th, or 5th?
>>
>>47443265
Lack of material and options is not a draw for me. I bet your one of those people in the order line that take forever to order fries.
>>
>>47443288
Redundant options just for the sake of options is a poor design choice.

That way lies every single thing having its own, dedicated, almost-identical-to-six-others-except-for-one-gimmick class. And that's retarded. The design ethos of 5e is 'less is more'. Basically every archetype can be approximated through the existing classes and multiclassing between them.

What archetypes are missing? Really?
>>
>>47443404
You can't honesty believe this.
>>
>>47443494
I prefer to be the person that goes to the store to pick up potatoes, oil and salt
>>
>>47443498
>Warlord
But on a more serious note, I'd prefer more options within the current archetypes. Like the totem barbarian. I'm not a fan of getting locked into a string of mechanics within an archetype.
>>
I'm kicking around the idea of making a green dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer. How fucked am I going to be?
>>
>>47439479
Once you get to Vallaki it can seem like there's too many things to do
>>
>>47443404
Except Savage Attacker, which at its best gives you about 2 extra damage per round.

2. Compared to the extra attack you can get with polearm master/sentinel/GWF/crossbow master, which all give extra benefits as well. Even Weapon Master can give you more damage by moving to a higher-damage weapon than what you currently have.
>>
>>47443693
>poison
fairly.
it's the worst damage type, really. worse than fire. so much is outright immune to it.
>>
>>47443587
In that case would you not instead be "approximating" potatoes with cucumbers?
>>
>>47443523
Name one of the Feats that would not be a responsible investment for any character.
>>
>>47443867
>Keen mind
any character
90% of the time it's garbage.

>Inspiring leader
-any- character
It's always garbage

>Healer
Still any character
Literally any spell from anything ever beats it. Even just magic initiate could beat it, depending.

>Charger
any character that isn't a barbarian or doesn't have great weapon master
It's not great.
>>
>>47443956
In my games, the Healer feat has proven itself more than enough. The extra healing saves spell slots for in-combat stuff, and Healer's Kits are really cheap.
>>
Why is the Ready action so retarded?
Blow your entire action and a reaction just so you can act more slowly than before. Whatever happened to "if you want to act at a lower initiative than what you got, go ahead"?
>>
>>47443733
No, but you're the one comparing a class to a dish made with 3 of the most basic ingredients in the universe

The point is, the game has salt, potatoes, cucumbers and oil already, no need for salty potatoes to be their own thing
>>
>>47444000

magic initiate with shield will save you more hp than healer starting at level 5. guidance and resistance and shield of faith can also prevent a ton of damage, potentially.
>>
>>47443956
Wow guy, you didn't provide the best examples except for keen mind, which is still great in a wizard

Inspiring leader is only bad on characters with low charisma

Healer has more healing potential than a non-life cleric until they get 4th level slots

Charger works on any strength based class
>>
>>47443956
>Keen Mind
+1 int and the ability to stop a DM mid-sentence when they tell you that you are lost and say no, North is that way we were headed west so we're not lost. Plus the ability to stop a DM mid-sentence when they ask you to roll on whether or not you remember my new details of something which you don't remember what your character would have.

>inspiring leader
You have never played a character who interacts with NPCs, have you?

>healer
Invaluable in any party that does not have a cleric or druid.

>charger
I miiight give you this one, in that it is situationally very useful but not universally useful.
>>
>>47444056
>this route saves me gas money when doing groceries

>just get them delivered pleb, save on car payments
>>
>>47444070

>useful if your DM is a dick
>useful if you want to bog down combat with a bunch of unnecessary combatants
>useful if your party is doomed from the start
>>
>>47443687
Warlord is a Battle Master Fighter with all the inspiring actions and the inspirational speech feat
>>
>>47444083

u wot m8? when the enemies are dropping attacks that potentially do 5d6 starting at level 3, healer is going to look like shit.
>>
>>47444105
And you have just confirmed that you have never actually played the game in your life. Thank you.
>>
So what is /tg/'s opinion on the necromancer subclass of the wizard??
>>
>>47444114
Throw in a single level of bard with the healing word spell and bardic inspiration, and you've got it.
>>
>>47443693
Your breath weapon isn't going to do well against a larger number of enemies but since it's one use per rest and uses Con for save you aren't going to be relying on it no mater what element you choose, and poison resistance isn't a bad thing to have.
>>
>>47444135
It's great. someone did the math and you can have like 50-64 or so unead minions at 14th level.
It was capped, somewhere along the line, but I don't have it.
>>
>>47444114
Battlemaster Fighter / Valour Bard multiclass with the Inspiring Leader feat might be better.
>>
>>47444135
I like it. Really, all of the subclasses are useful. My favorite however is diviner
>>
>>47443727
>>47443693
Ask if it can apply the Poisoned condition. Greater utility against those enemies that can be hit by poison in exchange for its high resistability among many monster types. Or get a DM that gives creatures poison vulnerability.
>>
>>47444133

>DM can only allow you to do anything if you succeed on an ability check
>More combatants that you have relative control over matters when they can automatically cancel out an arbitrary amount of an enemy force
>all martial no healer party is going to work vs enemies with resistance and mental based DCs

I guess everyone plays with the DM s that are strict about roleplay but only ever send the PCs to fight orcs and ogres
>>
>>47444062
Charger is fucking horrible,
Inspiring leader is mediocre at best, even with a +5 charisma.
Healer is only useful at low levels, and it's kind of marginal then, since that's the only time gold is an issue.
>>
>Tiers of Play
>special paragraphs in each tier to talk about how great the spells are for that tier and how they can change the fight/region/realm/world
>MASTERS OF THE WORLD has a paragraph for how Wizards, Warlocks, Druids, and Clerics ascend to immortality or godhood or whatever, while "other classes found clans or dynasties"
reeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
File: Weapon Summoner Core Features.png (332 KB, 1024x3000) Image search: [Google]
Weapon Summoner Core Features.png
332 KB, 1024x3000
Alright so this is an updated version of the Weapon Summoner that is already in the mega.

Background is my buddy watched Fate/stay Night and wanted to play anime so I built up a quick level 5 class for a oneshot, and posted it here just because. Later on, I came back to it on a lark and expanded it to level 20, with a full archtype finished (of a planned three, another one is half done apparently).

Gonna post the core features here, the archtype features in the next post with the class guide, and finally a third post with the list of spells to choose from... but honestly I've been considering removing spells from the class altogether.

Opinions appreciated, insults expected (it is anime given form after all) and suggestions welcome.

Formatting is shit, because fuck making pretty things until I get the nuts and bolts tightened.
>>
>>47444056
Except Healer lets you heal *anyone* for 1d6+4+their HD once per (the target's) short rest. That's a level 1 slot per creature saved for something other than Cure Wounds and anyone can take it, at the cost of 5 sp per use.

Guidance won't save you any hit points unless that 1d4 on a Charisma check gets you out of a fight entirely, and resistance won't unless that 1d4 helps them pass a single save.
>>
>>47444198
Now you are just making up retarded shit. Nobody said anything about all Martial parties. Ever heard of wizards? Or warlocks? Or sorcerers?

Have you never had to give an impassioned speech before a beleaguered Village to rile them up into an angry mob to storm the castle or charge into a forest to hary a werewolf? Take control of a ship's crew to see them through a storm? Convince an entire exhausted brothel that one more round with the Goliath Bard is not out of the question?

Your idiocy and lack of imagination are really showing through. Either you have never played this game before, or you have only ever played with GM's who treated like a tactical simulator and nothing else.
>>
One thing about multiclassing that i have found very useful is that some classes do not have the spells you require, for example, a wizard could multiclass a lvl one cleric to gain access to the inflict wound and cure wound spells
>>
File: Weapon Summoner Forger Archtype.png (318 KB, 1024x3000) Image search: [Google]
Weapon Summoner Forger Archtype.png
318 KB, 1024x3000
>>47444223
Notepad doesn't transfer well to post, so I'll just screenshot the guide in a bit
>>
>>47443867
In addition to whats been mentioned;
Athlete is pretty bad.
Heavy Armor Master is only decent till ~3.
Savage Attacker is pretty horrible.
Tough is bad, but toughness will always be bad
>>
If you had to build an archer what would be the best way? Leaning towards the "Scout" fighter archetype in the "Kits of Old" Unearthed Arcana.

Ranger and the 50 rewrites they've done of it still don't feel right.
>>
File: Weapon Summoner Guide.png (30 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Weapon Summoner Guide.png
30 KB, 800x800
>>47444285
Cantrips
Acid Splash
Blade Ward
Druidcraft
Mage Hand
Mending
Poison Spray
Prestidigitation
Thaumaturgy
True Strike
Shillelagh

Alarm
Armor of Agathya
Bless
Compelled Duel
Detect Magic
Divine Favor
Ensnaring Strike
Hail of Thorns
Hex
Identify
Searing Smite
Shield of Faith
Tenser’s Floatng Disk
Thunderous Smite
Unseen Servent

Arcane Lock
Barkskin
Blur
Cloud of Daggers
Cordon of Arrows
Find Traps
Heat Metal
Knock
Locate Object
Magic Mouth
Magic Weapon
Nystul’s Magic Aura
Rope Trick
Spiritual Weapon

Conjure Barrage
Dispel Magic
Elemental Weapon
Glph of Warding
Leomund’s Tiny Hut
Meld into Stone
Nondetection
Remove Curse
Water Breathing
Water Walking
Wind Wall

Dimension Door
Fabricate
Freedom of Movement
Hallucinatory Terrain
Leomunds Secret Chest
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
Stone Shape
Stoneskin

Animate Objects
Bigby's Hand
Conjure Volley
Creation
Greater Restoration
Hallow
Legend Lore
Passwall
Swift Quiver
Telekinesis
Teleportation Circle
Wall of Stone
>>
>>47444313
Variant human fighter. Take Sharpshooter at level 1, pump your dex up as fast as possible. Go Battle Master and grab Precision Strike and anything else that suits your fancy.
>>
>>47444278

>these abilities are useful if you imagine a situation that isn't described in the rules

warlock and wizard can't cast magic weapon either. they don't have anything that raises AC by a flat amount. unless you are given magic items, going without a cleric or paladin results in a lot of situations where 6-16 hp is a pittance compared to losing 50-150+damage to resistances or regeneration.
>>
>>47444296

tough is pretty good. it's about on par with armor of Agathys or aid, but can't be dispelled
>>
>>47444152
>>47444165
Yeah, good idea! The archetype gets EVEN BETTER with multiclass, but it is still achievable within one class. Nice job 5E!
>>
So how do we fix the bad feats?

>Charger
You can still make your extra attacks, the benefit just applies to the first hit.
+1 Str or Dex

>Tough
You have advantage on Constitution saves against effects that would stun, paralyze, or otherwise incapacitate you.
Maybe something else?
>>
What's the best homebrew Gunslinger?

I want to make the archetypal cowboy

>>47444859
tough also gives +1 con
>>
>>47444886
Probably just using crossbow stats for guns, taking the crossbow feat, then playing a fighter or ranger and calling it a day
>>
File: 1261772875525.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1261772875525.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47444886
Mercer's is good

This one also has a gunslinger archetype but it's more james bond than cowboy
>>
>>47444886
Battlemaster Fighter, gaining proficiency with Tinkerer's Kit for all their gun maintenance. Use either a crossbow or the gun rules in the DMG. Take Crossbow Master of a homebrewed variant that functions the same but with firearms if taking the latter, and go wild.

Alternatively, Assassin Rogue, with Expertise in Stealth and Perception, and the Sharpshooter feat, Martial Adept to take Precise Strike, and be the sniper. Deal 2d12+20d6+15 with advantage on the attack roll against an unsuspecting target, and they have to roll a Con save or take twice as much damage.
>>
>>47444953
>>47445084
that's pretty boring man, i mean it's pretty effective but I want something with more flavor/custom mechanics

>>47445034
I just looked at mercer's and I dig it, grit points are cool

fighter is a weird choice imo but it's pretty good. And I do like the idea of being a more brawly cowboy, run outta bullets and pull out my sword or something
>>
>guy wants to play a water genasi
>who specializes in fire spells

Jesus christ this is worse than dorf characters wanting to be rangers
>>
>>47444017
I don't want potatoes, I want sweet potatoes, I don't care if I can approximate, I'd like it to be want I want it to be and I don't see why having that option in the menu is a detriment to your meal.
>>
>>47440088

You can use traps in combat but you'll want to also have a real weapon. My suggestion is Rogue; Fast Hands will let you set traps as a bonus action, so you can run around and shoot the enemies with a cross bow while leaving traps to slow them down when they pursue.

Read the Player's Guidebook, first though.
>>
>>47445141
> want more custom mechanics

...why? Why does a gun need extra mechanics to distinguish itself from regular combat when say, bows and swords function more or less the same; roll to hit, roll for damage, just that one is done at a distance?
>>
>>47445210
Are they going for a steam theme or something?
>>
>>47445265
Cause it's fun.
>>
>>47444135
It rocks. Does anyone have the screencap where an anon worked out the size of the horde you can bring?

>>47444282
One level in Cleric is good for Wizard pretty much always.

>>47444859
The bad feats don't need "fixing". They're an optional rule, feel free to ban any that are underpowered/overpowered or just not use feats. Otherwise just leave your players to decide, they should be able to read the feats and know the risks.
>>
I always ban Savage Attacker because it's just so bad and Mounted Combatant so that nobody gets any ideas.
>>
>>47445330
Is there any reason not to fix them?
>>
>>47445354
I ban savage attacker because despite half an hour of throwing maths at eachother I have a retard who insists that it's as good as GWM.

I haven't yet had to DM for him, because he doesn't own a computer for some reason and I currently run all my games on roll20. But the feat is prohibited, along with all the other shitty ones that make me cry when people take them.
>>
>>47445369
No, I suppose not. But I felt like registering my thoughts on the matter.
>>
>>47445391
Fair enough.
>>
>>47442784

truly awful

i can't read through it.
>>
Guy who DM'd AD&D here. What should I keep in mind when doing 5e?
>>
So I have a rogue who wants to implement some sort of blinding powder. Does a DC 10 +Dex mod versus the enemy's Reflex save for 1d4 rounds blindness sound too strong?
>>
>>47440025
>As to dispelling it, I'm going to go with the line "The transformation becomes permanent" as meaning that the spell itself ends after the full duration, but the effects linger on. At that point only divine intervention or Wish can turn you back.
Spell effects that have become permanent can still generally be dispelled, and errata for True Polymorph should be coming that spells this out explicitly for TP. It's already in the SRD.
>>
>>47445424
It's way simpler, give the books a read.
>>
>>47445455
Nah sounds fine, especially if he has to make it.
>>
>>47445243
Okay then, if your specific ass wants sweet potatoes then go ahead and homebrew that shit

Just remember there is already a basic potato and that yours is just a sub-potato
>>
>>47445321
Fun is relative.

More mechanics was 3.5's schtick. Everything got its own unique snowflake mechanics and rules, and the catalogue for the game was about eight million books long because of it.

5e is about versatility. Flexibility within a simple set of core mechanics. The PHB classes do get some unique mechanics, but they aren't invented whole-cloth, they're slight tweaks on the core mechanics that already exist. Battlemaster manoeuvres are just using weapon attacks to deliver status effects, much like spells do. Metamagic is just tweaks to spell effects, but doesn't change the spellcasting rules.

5e's design ethos isn't about adding more, it's about using what's already there.
>>
>>47445455
>DC 10 +Dex mod
8 + prof + dex mod would fit into similar mechanics.

Blindness the spell is a level 2 spell that lasts for 10 rounds and gives a save at the end of each round. 1d4 rounds of Blindness with only save seems pretty strong by comparison as the save each turn will cut it short pretty quickly, and combat rarely lasts that long anyway IME.

I would probably implement it as just "You have advantage on your next attack on the target" with no rolls? Something simple and very short term like that.
>>
>>47445424
>It's not AD&D
>It's still D&D
>>
>>47445593
Eh, 5e still has room to grow. The Mystic seems like it'd play pretty differently, for example.
>>
>>47442784
Not only is this shit for reasons already put forth, but a luchador is not required to wear a mask and if a masked luchador loses their mask they're still a luchador, plus traditionally they remain unmasked permanently.

This class was made by someone with only the most superficial knowledge of Lucha Libre.
>>
>>47445625
>This class was made by someone with only the most superficial knowledge of Lucha Libre.

What a crime that is.
>>
>>47445687
The Aztec Gods will not be pleased.
>>
>>47445593
Individual class mechanics aren't really a bad thing on their own so long as they aren't so convoluted that nobody except the player himself can track it, and they don't break the system math. I have no fucking idea what 'grit' is supposed to represent other than cool guy points though
>>47445455
I'd second the 8+prof+dex instead of the 10+dex, but it's fine either way. Arguably you would want them to gain a tool proficiency to actually add proficiency, but that's so roguish that they should probably just have it
>>
>>47444002
Check the sage advice compendium so you know how retarded your question is.
>>
>>47445621
The Mystic and an Artificer/Alchemist thing would be about all I expect them to come out with in terms of new classes. The artificer as a Wizard is a tad disappointing overall, though it's viable.
>>
>>47445915
There's always room for a fixed ranger, and definitely room for more archetypes for gimmicks.
>>
>>47445929
A fixed ranger would be great.
>>
>>47444175
I've been thinking about whether I like Abjurer or Diviner better, and I was wondering...for people who have played a Divination Wizard, do your portents ever deflate hype? Like, being able to just give someone a good/bad roll is super useful, but do your party members actually like it? I feel like, if a party member needs to make a good roll in a clutch, you stopping him and just giving him a good roll might be bad for the other players' morale. I don't know this, I just worry.
>>
>>47443068
Damn, I forgot that comic even existed. Is /tg/ still translating it?
>>
File: Robeandwizardhat.png (48 KB, 388x268) Image search: [Google]
Robeandwizardhat.png
48 KB, 388x268
Can you twin something that requires concentration?
Specifically the Immolate spell from elemental evil.
Being able to hit two creatures with 7d6 and then 3d6, and all 1s counting as 2s because of elemental adept...
that sounds fun.
The DM at my FLGS tends to make bosses not one absurd creature, but two slightly less absurd ones instead.
Or one not absurd surrounded by a veritable hoard of normal enemies.
Being able to twin for the first case would be nice, and there's far better non-concentration for the latter.
>>47446252
Nope.
>/tg/ Scanlations (687d ago)
>>
>>47445901
What, this?
>For a variety of reasons, we didn’t include the option to delay your turn:
>Your turn involves several decisions, including where to move and what action to take. If you could delay your turn, your decision-making would possibly become slower, since you would have to consider whether you wanted to take your turn at all. Multiply that extra analysis by the number of characters and monsters in a combat, and you have the potential for many slowdowns in play.
>The ability to delay your turn can make initiative meaningless, as characters and monsters bounce around in the initiative order. If combatants can change their place in the initiative order at will, why use initiative at all? On top of that, changing initiative can easily turn into an unwelcome chore, especially for the DM, who might have to change the initiative list over and over during a fight.
>Being able to delay your turn can let you wreak havoc on the durations of spells and other effects, particularly any of them that last until your next turn. Simply by changing when your turn happens, you could change the length of certain spells. The way to guard against such abuse would be to create a set of additional rules that would limit your ability to change durations. The net effect? More complexity would be added to the game, and with more complexity, there is greater potential for slower play.

Or the posts where Crawford clarifies Readying doesn't allow you to use Extra Attacks? Where you can't interrupt another creature's movement? That you can't utilize any bonus actions since your turn is over and bonus actions only occur on yoru turn?

The only real purpose of Ready seems to be grappling outside of your turn (since you are apparently not allowed to use your opportunity attack to do anything but stab a guy fatally) and waiting for more advantageous positioning for spellcasting. It's terrible and surrounded by rules that penalize physical (multi-)attackers more than spellcasters.
>>
>>47446305
>Can you twin something that requires concentration?

Of course.
>>
>>47446305
Yes. You are not casting two spells, you are casting one spell that now affects two creatures.
>two invisible martials decloak on the BBEG
>>
>>47444886
>>47445034
Was this intentional? Are you two separate people?

>>47444338
In a world where DMs allow Variant Humans...

>>47445330
>The bad feats don't need "fixing". They're an optional rule, feel free to ban any that are underpowered/overpowered or just not use feats.

What an amazing approach to game design. Something sucks? Well, shit, just ignore it then. Wasted all that paper and ink for nothing...
>>
>>47446251
When I do this, I wait for a shitty clutch roll, stop the table dramatically and say
"No, instead, it is (Insert roll here)!"
"I have forseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen it"

Then usually someone punches me.
I guess what I'm saying is, it's how you play it.
>>
>>47446396
There are easy rules for delaying the turn that could've been applied, and being unable to wait for someone else to do something is pretty moronic. Skipping an entire round so that you can do things in the proper order is pretty dumb all around. As for noninterrupted movement... *shrug* I've used and countered it before. It's pretty hard to continue moving when the readied fighter has tackled you, or worse, straight up killed you for trying to get past. Readied attack and then oppurtunity attack can be rough.
>>
>>47446429
>Was this intentional? Are you two separate people?
One is responding to the firsts question, anon.
>>
File: 1463771528403.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1463771528403.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>Literally every time we bring one particular player in our campaign, they end up causing problems
>They caused almost everyone's characters to die, including their own multiple times
>The DMs turned off PvP because of this person
>campaign is ruined
>>
>>47446251
Prince of Persia it.
>no no no, that didn't happen
>wait, that's not how it went
>>
>>47446435
>>47446520
I guess my problem specifically is that, RAW, you can't do either of those things because it states you can only interject before the roll is made. Maybe a DM would allow otherwise if I put forth my argument.
>>
>sorcerer player didn't realize friendly fire exists
>wants to multiclass as a wizard to get around it

Is this a really stupid idea?
>>
>>47446477
>Readied attack and then oppurtunity attack can be rough.
What? But you can't do that. Activating your Readied action requires your reaction. You can either make an AoO as an enemy walks past you or have a Readied Attack action whose trigger is "an enemy approaches", not both. Taking the Ready action never allows you to make more than one swing that round, because your reaction is used, your bonus action is gone, and you don't benefit from Extra Attack (because despite being rolled into the Attack action, which your Ready action can trigger, Extra Action specifies it only occurs on your turn--they did this to prevent people from saying "my opportunity attack is an Attack action that hits 2/3/4 times" when only a complete clown would argue that and it's much more elegantly guarded against by changing AoOs to signify "a single melee weapon attack").

There is nothing complex about Delay. I can't conceive why these guys think it bogs down combat, as if every player is sitting there for 30 seconds wondering if they want to Delay or not each turn, and the same for every monster. How does it not take more time to formulate and enact a Ready-Action-trigger-Reaction string than it does to say "I'd like to act on Initiative XY from now on"? How can it be this difficult to track? We've got rules for speed factors in the DMG which involve pretty much every combatant's initiative shifting from round to round based on their stats, equipment, and actions, but saying Dave the Rogue is now acting on count 15 instead of 19 is too hard? You can't move his token in the list? You can't scratch out his name and write DAVE between other characters while dice are being rolled? Hell, if that's the whole problem, let him revert back to his original initiative count and avoid the whole mess; a delay in a single round.
>>
>>47446629
>How does it not take more time to formulate and enact a Ready-Action-trigger-Reaction string than it does to say "I'd like to act on Initiative XY from now on"?
If you make readying so obviously bad, no one will use it and there will be no extra time used
>>
>>47440810
>Arbitrarily changing something that worked in the past
>If you think is silly you have shit opinion
You know you can enjoy something and still criticize it, right? you don't need to say yes to everything wotc releases, you can add some buts in there, nobody will think less of you.
Yo
>>
>>47446483
Oh, I know. It's just that
>>47444886
this character is voiced by
>>47445034
the person mentioned here.
>>
>>47446620
1s/2w gets essentially the same thing as 3s at the same level
the only difference is it requires sorcery points VS Evo spells only

so yeah, pretty stupid
>>
>>47441408
Different anon, but now that they released Zendikar races, how about the concept behind Stoneforge mystics, which is kinda artificer+geomancer+warrior
>>
>>47437874
Personally, if I were DMing, I'd let that be a thing. I'd even allow the Duelist fighting style to apply to the main hand's damage. I don't really see how this is mechanically overpowering if anyone who doesn't use two-handers or shields can easily find another dagger or a fucking twig to hold in their off-hand to make bonus attacks with, but there's probably some goofy interaction with crossbows, handling spellcasting focii, or object interaction since both hands are full. That, or the "you can take your hand off a two-handed weapon like a greatsword or longbow to do things even though you're wielding it in both hands" rule because YOU KNOW some chucklefuck would try to argue they get to swing-swing-punch with their greatsword.
>>
>if you have a reach weapon you have to wait until a creature leaves your 10 foot reach to opportunity attack
>a creature that is near you is somehow more free in their movement despite your greater reach
what the fuck.
>>
>>47446788
I mean, that's probably not a huge coincidence.

He came up with the class either probably because he voiced mcree, or he signed up to voice mcree because he already liked gunslingers enough to make an arhcetype about them. Depends on how long overwatch has been in development/how long since he'd thought of the gunslinger.

Voice actors usually like the characters they play as. It certainly helps, at least hearing from the friends I have that are VAs.
>>
>>47446923
they're really polite about asking to move under your staff, asking you to raise it when they go under it
>>
>>47446945
He came up with the class because he was converting his campaign to 5e from Pathfinder.
>>
>>47446620
Yes. Careful Spell is already a thing.
>>
>>47446620
I'll accept it if it means I don't have to get hit multiple times while trying to get around a fire giant.
>>
>>47447007
Meant to reply to >>47446923
>>
>>47446996
Man, everyone is going to take Twinned and Quickened right off. Waiting until 10 to get another Metamagic? Fuuuuuuuck that, groups don't even get that far.
>>
>>47446616
Oh my, bad, I meant shitty as in shitty situation. Like my buddy is about to get axed or something.
>>
>>47447025
If he's concerned about shaping spells as a sorc , it's the better bet.

Alternately, he can just forego metamagic until everyone else is at level 5 and eclipses him.
>>
>>47447007
A fire giant can only use one reaction, and moving around a creature doesn't trigger opportunity attacks. If you want to Dash and spend 60 movement to run up to a giant and do a full circle around him as close as you can, he's not going to get an opportunity attack, same as any creature without reach.

How's this for a work-around:
Since unarmed strikes can be made with any limb (you can specifically kick and headbutt without punching), you threaten every square within 5 feet of you with your unarmed attacks. Attacks of opportunity trigger when an enemy leaves your threatened area, but you have two threatened areas. Their leaving the 5 foot area to step into the 10 triggers your AoO, but nothing about AoOs specify which weapons you may attack with, so now you club them with your halberd anyway.
>>
>>47447025
>am >>47443068
>deciding what metamagics I want
It's suffering.
Empowered might not come up much, but it can be used with other metamagics.
Careful and heightened also look great, but twinned and quickened are basically mandatory.

I suppose that there's so many good options is a good thing, but it's still suffering
>>
>>47447116
It's suffering because everyone insists on starting at level 1 or 2 when it's common knowledge that just about every group falls to pieces before getting anywhere near the point where class features improve. You either pick a class that's good from start to finish or multiclass into other classes that are front-loaded and make them feel bad because they have nothing special until they're at a level they will never reach.
>>
>>47446996
Only the Evoker's Sculpt Spell specifies that they take no damage if the spell would normally allow for half damage if a save is made.

Careful Spell only allows creatures to automatically save. That's it, half damage at best if the spell allows for that, no wiggling out of all the damage unless they also have something like Monk/Rogue Evasion.
>>
>>47447222
It's also a perfectly viable option for the sorcerer to git gud and look before he blows his load all over his own party.

You automatically pass 100% of saves you don't have to make.
>>
File: ChRWX_IU8AAriVc.jpg (62 KB, 580x282) Image search: [Google]
ChRWX_IU8AAriVc.jpg
62 KB, 580x282
Are there any cool d&d series to watch? I tried to watch Critical Role but they started streaming it mid-campaign and I can't stand being dropped into a story without knowing how it started.
I'm already watching the Easy Allies series but they only upload on Wednesdays and I'm all caught up.
>>
>>47445621
I'll add, that epic God slaying levels 21-30 could be fun if done right.
>>
File: immortalsfury.png (1 MB, 810x724) Image search: [Google]
immortalsfury.png
1 MB, 810x724
>>47447427
If your DM is a real man, the Gods kill you. and everything else
>>
>>47447116
>>47447025
Quickened isn't really that great, but none of the Metamagics really are. Personally, I find that most decisions are more easily resolved when I think less about what I as the player would want, and more about what the character I'm playing would want. A self-absorbed asshole would never take Careful or Subtle Spell, for example. I'd just pick the ones you'd think your character would pick. Most Sorcs are narcissistic hellraisers, so Empowered, Distant and Twinned make sense for them, but if your character is more inquisitive and reflective, searching for a purpose or whatever, they may be more inclined to take Careful, Subtle or Heightened. If your character is paranoid and neurotic, maybe they'd take Careful, Distant and Extended.
>>
>>47447517
And that's were the epic levels campaign starts.
>>
>>47447582
Immortal's Fury was how you ended a campaign, all characters involved, and the whole setting, not how you start one.
>>
File: 1458242737361.jpg (81 KB, 600x3000) Image search: [Google]
1458242737361.jpg
81 KB, 600x3000
>>47446500
You know who you are, Triangle.

fucking tranny
>>
File: 1462724542411.gif (69 KB, 656x288) Image search: [Google]
1462724542411.gif
69 KB, 656x288
>>47447664
>>
File: MAD.gif (452 KB, 476x508) Image search: [Google]
MAD.gif
452 KB, 476x508
>>47447674
>>
File: squid.jpg (11 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
squid.jpg
11 KB, 350x263
>>47447664
>>47447674
>>47447700
>>
File: 1463612843492.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1463612843492.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>47447715
>>
>>47447425
Watch the show from the start on the Geek&Sundry website...?
>>
File: DnD.gif (341 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
DnD.gif
341 KB, 500x381
>>47447664
>>47447674
>>47447700
>>47447715
>>47447728
Will you fags stop shitting up our threads?
Thx
>>
File: Me.jpg (45 KB, 400x325) Image search: [Google]
Me.jpg
45 KB, 400x325
>>47447742

s'aaaahh dude
chill the beef dude
>>
File: 1512_1241_390 - Copy.jpg (47 KB, 355x332) Image search: [Google]
1512_1241_390 - Copy.jpg
47 KB, 355x332
>>47447742
im fuckin watching you OP
>>
File: +5 Wand of Death.png (171 KB, 575x575) Image search: [Google]
+5 Wand of Death.png
171 KB, 575x575
If one has a +1 focus [druidic, arcane, holy] does that mean that their spells using said get +1 to attack rolls+damage rolls?
Also wondering if that would up the DC on any spells that require saves, cast using that focus.
>>
>>47447425
If it's any consolation, they made a video summarizing every adventure they went on pre-stream.

Also, there isn't really an overarching narrative or anything to begin with. It's something some anons criticize Mercer for. Sometimes they do something that has repercussions months or even years down the line, and Mercer likes to foreshadow future plotlines, but all of their individual adventures are ultimately episodic.

You don't need to know that they fought a proto-lich or a necromancer or a glabrezu once, you just need to know that they're an adventuring band that have earned themselves a reputation as heroes in three or four cities. Also they have powerful NPC wizard friends hanging about.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.