[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
Shield of Humanity PDF
https://mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2zfoc5jo7s7vrb5/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Additional Resources:
https://mega.nz/#F!XgRDEDAJ!Np6F-HqCwdYzHXmeSs7m7w

Old Thread: >>47351449
>>
File: aquillia .png (67 KB, 960x363) Image search: [Google]
aquillia .png
67 KB, 960x363
Im thinking of starting an only war campaign with a group of mixed 40k fans and beginners.

My idea currently for a mission or campaign is to have them fall or somehow get lost in the depths of a hive city and have them find their way out as a squad and interacting with the locals of the underhive environment. I envision it as a 40k style dungeon crawler i guess.

tell me /tg/ is this a good idea? or should i stick to a more traditional campaign.
Help me develop this idea so its workable.
>>
>>47436154
Why are the IG being called into a hive in the first place?
>>
>>47435787
Stack Weapon Skill, Lightning Attack, and Warp Time.
>>
File: 1429646697072.jpg (133 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
1429646697072.jpg
133 KB, 600x473
>>47436325
assisting overwhelmed pdf forces?
removing pocket cultist forces outside of the city?
im not sure the idea is still young
>>
>>47436529
You see, the problem with discussing half-formed ideas is that you can't really discuss them, because they can be equally good or bad depending on the specifics and execution.
>>
>>47436656
Alternatively, the benefit of half formed ideas is that they allow everyone to field their favoured perspective or pitfalls to avoid.
>>
>>47436656
you make a good point although i was hoping for suggestions of any type just to get the ideas flowing again.
>>
>>47436325
regiment on R&R or reapprovisioning, and the squad getting lost in the hive.

>>47436154
Hey, I remember you.
It's a good idea.

IMO, it's important to have a guideline in the encounters, even in a dungeon crawler. If your players kill radiation mutants, then hive gangs, then aliens, then necrons, then feral beasts, then cultists, they won't care about your campaign, only for each encounter.
You should determine one or two main factions that you're gonna pit your PCs against.
You can add unrelated side encounters, but they shouldn't be the norm.

You already have a goal "get back upside", so each session, if not each encounter, should be an occasion to work towards this objective (technically, surviving also works towards it, but putting some stakes on the encounters is a good thing: The beast prevents you from accessing the elevator, the heretek archeological team has a map of this zone, and so on....)

Besides, you should determine the amount of psychic and technological stuff you want the campaign to have beforehand.

Also have some not-combat encounters. Mutant city with social interaction, athletic feats or simple puzzles (beware, it's really easy to mess a riddle or similar enigma in a rpg). It will add variety, and help you flesh out the setting.

IIRC the Kal Jericho comics are set in the underhive.
>>
>>47436154
Hm, I'm not sure how best to apply it to OW. If you were doing Dark Heresy I would suggest watching The Raid: Redemption...
>>
File: 1437516246630.jpg (238 KB, 640x1035) Image search: [Google]
1437516246630.jpg
238 KB, 640x1035
>>47436993
thanks man this is some nice advice, i had an idea or an encounter of a relatively civil bazaar like area after the first armed encounter of cultists or whatever, not sure how the underhive population would react to a group of fresh face guardsmen in full kit showing up.
Probably not well i assume.

also plan for some chaosy pic related down the line to spice it up a bit.
>>
>>47437176
The opening scenes of Rules of Engagement?

I can see parallels between the Sandbox and an underhive. If the people around aren't hostile, make nice, don't try too hard to be sneaky, etc, if they go hostile, WASTE THEM.
>>
>>47436993
also where do you remember me from? creeping me out man
>>
>>47436325
There's always the Dominate I guess. Would add another few factors, namely that they were there for war anyway and everyone hates them if they reveal their allegiances even more so than typical hive shit
>>
I'm trying to make a junior Guard officer who is mostly a paper pusher. What role would he have? I'm not sure if Sage and Seeker are really fit.
>>
>mfw when the "Eldar corsairs" we fought turned out to have neurotoxin-laced weaponry.

Though, as it turns out, Kabalites are pretty shit if you pin them. Although being hit WILL hurt, what with that Pen 3 and Toxic (2). Now, just to geek the High Marshal and take over the ship.
>>
>>47436325
The hive got attacked by orks.
The hive suffered such widespread rioting and gang warfare that the planetary governor panicked and called in the Guard.
Chaos cultists in the underhive.
>>
>>47437244
Well, people tend to be nice to those armed to the teeth. Until they can be ambushed, at least.

>creeping me out man
I knew you'd say that.

Isn't that you ? >>47401851
>>
So, I may just know where to get rosettes fairly cheap.

I found this guy on eBay that makes 40k stuff out of plastic and epoxy. Really well made, ships quick, I bought a Rosette on a chain from him, as well as an Aquila pin and a winged rosette pin. jesusgold7 is his user name, check his stuff out.

He's got a silver version of the Rosette with chain up right now. And a Tanith pin.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=jesusgold7&rt=nc

(and no, its not me shilling my own shit. If I wanted to do that, I'd point out the MEGA link. Wait. Shit.)
>>
How does manifesting psychic powers look like generally? I get that shooting lightning or chargin mah meltabeam is pretty obvious, but can the less flashy stuff be used undercover (disregarding psyniscience, phenomena or perils)? Say, a biomancer needs to stop some hive mob hardcore and goes all iron arm on them, would the mob be any wiser that he's a psyker apart from someone connecting dots of his fists caving in skulls and him shrugging off sledgehammer hits with his forehead?
>>
>>47438406
Pretty subtle, actually. If I remember correctly the main difference between a psyker and a sorcerer is that the sorcerer needs to chant and gesture to call upon his power, while a psyker can do it just by concentrating. I mean, some use chants, litanies or hand movements to help them concentrate, but they don't have to. So a random hive mobber would probably wonder, why that guy was closing his eyes and frown for a moment before kicking his pals' asses, but unless he knows how psykers work, he probably won't make the connection. Although if he sees someone tank construction equipment, the first thought in the average imperial citizen's head will probably be "WITCHCRAFT!"
>>
Are space marine helmets wearable by normal humans? I ask because one of my PC's is obsessed with them and is psychotic enough to believe he is one, and managed to loot one from a previous battle. It would seem like, since space marines presumably have normal sized heads, that they'd be fine for human use, if a bit cumbersome to wear.
>>
>>47439889
I imagine they'd be far too big - and super heretical to wear one.
>>
>>47440118
So Spess muhreens have huge heads?
>>
>>47439889
According to DW core book "man’s reach exceeds his grasp" on p.146, the machine-spirit is probably gonna rebel. Anyways, it's disconnected from a power pack.
So I'd say no auto-senses, just raw AP.

But nothing prevents him from wearing it afaik.
If you're feeling villainous, you can make him remove the lenses to be able to see while wearing it.
>>
>>47439889
They'd be wearable, though I'd imagine unpowered it wouldn't be much good. I imagine they're designed such that they don't have eyeholes so much as cameras that project onto the wearer. It'd be bulky as shit too. Hard to turn and move in.
>>
File: 25984.jpg (102 KB, 1000x1036) Image search: [Google]
25984.jpg
102 KB, 1000x1036
>>47440133
Compared to a normal human, yes. I'd guess they're still proportional to their bodies. If they had similar head size to unmodified humans, their noggins would look comically small in their frame.
>>
File: 9645311456_1afd4a8456_o.jpg (71 KB, 750x429) Image search: [Google]
9645311456_1afd4a8456_o.jpg
71 KB, 750x429
>>47440269
Yes, and...?
>>
>>47440348
For a second I forgot what setting we are talking about, I stand corrected.
>>
About to play Rogue Trader for the first time, and it seems I've been nominated by the group to be the titular character.

I've got only passing experience with the setting; should I just treat him as a space pirate captain, plundering xenos as I go?
>>
>>47440664
You certainly could. Consider yourself the 40k incarnation of Cortez or someone like him. Go where no man has gone before, find the xeno, kill (and/or enslave the xeno), take the xeno's stuff, sell the stuff at a steep markup.

The motivation of "Glory, Gold and God(-Emperor) works excellently.
>>
>>47440664
It's one of the possible takes on the character. It's a pretty original one, too, and it allows to visit freeports while staying 100% loyal.

Technically, you'd be a privateer/corsair, though, 'cause you got a Warrant of Trade.
>>
What are some of the best items for fighting demons/chaos in general (any 40k system)?
>>
>>47440746
See 2E's most recent splat for updated versions of sanctified gear. The Incinerator is particularly nasty.

Also, get yourself a Santic Daemonologist psyker. Psykers aren't really people, so I'm including them as an "item."
>>
Where can I download Forgotten Gods Dark Heresy 2 ???
>>
>>47440664
You can go for almost any kind of character as an RT. A swashbuckling pirate who uses his warrent for treasure (perhaps even hijacking and plundering xenos ships), an ex navy captain wishing to increase the power and presence of the imperial navy, a pious captain wanting to spread light to the ignorant masses of the imperium, a hunter who scours the unknown for the finest prey.
>>
>>47440965
Adding in various Rogue Traders from my games
>Ex-soldier looking to make a real mark on the world
>Spoiled noble brat forced to actually take the helm and be a leader
>Dutiful wife taking the reins from her dead husband
>Several different dynastic brats born to a millennia old legacy of backstabbing, looting, and fame and fortune.
>>
>>47440720
>>47440741
>>47440965
>>47441026

I was not expecting to have so many options; this is sounding like it's gonna be way more fun than I thought. Will still probably go full Conquistador, but will talk with the group first. Thanks!
>>
>>47438406
The Warp is heavily influenced by belief, so it depends what your psyker is like. A feral guy might have some animal spirit shit going on because he was raised as a shaman
>>
>>47441114
You can also go full-blown french fop on top of any of the other options.

Fois gras is always a justification.
>>
>>47436325
The players start as underhive gangers/escaped criminals, the city is under attack by a Tyranid scourge and its anarchy as Hive authorities struggle to control the terror. When they make their way out, they find that they only way off the doomed Hive City is by being press ganged into a Penal Legion thats being formed from the remaining Hive Scum.
>>
>>47441114
Two points about RT, from personal experience.

Even if you have a rogue trader/party leader, it's often best to have someone above every player character. It may be the master of the dynasty half a galaxy away, the titular rogue trader being in a coma and the player acting as a regent, a loan shark having a mortgage on the ship, and so on...
It doesn't remove freedom from the game, but provide some appreciable safeguards in the worst cases.

I find it best to have secondary player characters for specific situations. For example a bunch of pilots for dogfight situations, or Sgt. Markov and his squad for boarding actions.
RT can have pretty diverse gameplays, and it sometimes excludes a lot of the party. WIth this system everyone at the table will always have a role to play.
Besides, it allows every player to be in charge from time to time (the rogue trader can play the rookie pilot in the squadron, while the missionary can be the squadron leader,...), and makes high-mortality games and TPKs easier to manage.
I'd go with one secondary character created with the standard method, and NPC profiles for the rest if the need arises.

>>47441194
>I understood that reference.jpg
The Three Musketeers is great in its portrayal of french noblemen. Vain, disdainful and morally grey at best according to our standards, but with a lot of virtues nonetheless.
It got a scene where they go drink champagne and eat fois gras on the middle of the battlefield to taunt their famished enemies, while taking potshots at those that come too close.
>>
>>47441389
It doesn't even need to be a penal legion- many normal regiments are formed from the underhive riffraff.
>>
In first edition Dark Heresy, about what experience level should the player characters be to face a daemon host?
>>
>>47442408

I'd say about 5,000 xp, assuming a four man party of reasonably combat capable acolytes fighting an average host. Planning on throwing one at your players?
>>
>>47442408
Depends on their loadout and how they've spent their xp
>>
>>47442408
Don't have the core handy, but I believe... rank 5 ish they should be able to handle an unbound host. The rank that's named for their class, most of the time, like a Tech-Priest has the level listed as "Tech-Priest" for example.
Basically, by about then they'll have been able to take some good skills, get the essentials like Dodge covered, not have too many crap stats and maybe have a few extra wounds. Provided they have decent gear, they might get through it with no casualties.
Also, how bound is this Daemon Host?
>>
>>47440386
So how tiny is a primarch's head, then?
>>
>>47442539
Well I am writing up my first campaign now, and wanted to get a feel for the time frame that they should be facing one.

>>47442759
I haven't rolled one up yet, but I was thinking probably once or twice bound.
>>
>>47440269
>>47440348
>>47440386
The characters are not the same size as the minis, people, christ.
>>
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that DH2 doesn't include any rough 'tiers' of player power based on either XP or Influence. Even BC says "this much influence roughly equates to this", but all we have is "75+ influence to be an Inquisitor".
>>
>>47442759
Define not too many crap stats. I've got a little over 10k experience but most of it went into talents and skills
>>
File: 1445207952564.jpg (266 KB, 1024x1201) Image search: [Google]
1445207952564.jpg
266 KB, 1024x1201
Anyone have any advice on how to build a melee-capable Adept in DH 1e? Is it a doomed concept?
>>47443842
I'd say if you have at least a bonus of 3 in all your stats besides something like Perception or Fellowship, and preferably have 4's in the combat related abilities (WS, BS, S, T, AG), you should be okay. With crazy talents and true grit you'll be fine though.

>>47443464
Twice bound should be fine to give them a fright.
>>
>>47443924
If I remember right they get swift attack pretty fast, and cheaper than some combat classes. Shock training too.
>>
File: 1431410461552.gif (427 KB, 500x274) Image search: [Google]
1431410461552.gif
427 KB, 500x274
>>47438280
oh yea forgot about that post
>>
>>47436103
Is there any good tutorials on how to DM these.

Character creation and the rules themselves are clear enough but I don't know were to start on balancing encounters or making NPCs.

I've wanted to since before Rogue Trader and own DH, DW and OW so it's time to just wing it.
>>
>>47444781
Make npcs like how you would make a regular character but just choose what their characteristics, talents, skills, and gear are according to what they're supposed to be and their role in the campaign.
>>
File: 1453668830276.jpg (44 KB, 360x461) Image search: [Google]
1453668830276.jpg
44 KB, 360x461
>>47444781
What game are you thinking of running? I can give you some broad strokes for DH and DW

Dark Heresy:
>Remember that the focus is on investigation/horror.
>Combat is a *big* deal. Healing is difficult and slow, so a fight can seriously affect a character's ability to function.
>Rank 1 characters should be facing cultists, gangers etc. Armor should be scarce, weapons should be basic. A single Lesser Daemon is a serious challenge to rank 1 chars, and could easily kill them all.
>At higher levels, start giving enemies armor, more advanced weaponry, and grenades etc. The usual rule of thumb I have is 1.5 enemies for every pc, so a party of 4 will face about 6 or so enemies, usually with a "leader" of some kind wielding a fancy weapon or using minor psychic abilities.
>It's okay to occasionally put the players up against something they *shouldn't* try to fight. Running away is always a viable option. They're the intel team after all, part of their job is passing on the info that will get used by Storm Troopers/Assassin Cells/ Space Marines to clean things up when it gets intense.

Deathwatch
>Use the Errata bolters. Saves you a headache
>Focus on objectives. Like a good Superman comic, the interest is not whether the Astartes will defeat their opponents, but how and at what cost.
>Usually, two or three Magnitude 20-30 Hordes and a few Elite rank enemies is a good challenge. Mix in heavy weapon teams/snipers etc to give the players an extra threat and something for their snipers to shoot for.
>Elite enemies deployed solo are usually a good 1-to-1 challenge for the team, while a Master enemy can hypothetically take on a team by itself I usually give it a small bodyguard to keep it from getting blasted in a single turn.
>Don't be afraid to mix things up and throw stealth missions, bad intelligence and friendly fire at the players. War is hell, even for an astartes.

Both:
> REVIEW ANY PSYKER PC'S CAREFULLY! Psykers can break the game very easily!
>>
Plan on running a Black Crusade game soon for a group of players who are more used to the Imperium-side of things in 40k. Only thing is, I'm sort of debating whether to do a mixed CSM party with humans or just pure humans. Two players have expressed interest out of a party of six in potentially being CSM's, and I know mixing the group might make combat heavily weighted in their favor. I understand that a good way to counter-balance that is by showing off how humans are better infiltrators/socialites, but I'm just curious to hear people's experience with it and if they had any advice in regards on how to run things with a mixed group.
>>
>>47444979
I think I'll start with OW because i've clicked with it being a typical /k/ommando and it gives me an excuse to limit all the characters to be pretty similar make life easier. Only thing I'm hesitant about there is the lethality and whole extra NPC stuff I still don't quite understand (i just got it today).

I acknowledge I should run DH but I think it's a little setting heavy for my friends who are largely new to 40k.

Deathwatch got me interested in the idea of running a game but honestly I think I alone will get too silly too fast and it's not a good introductory game for RPG scrubs.

I've only played a handful of RPG games and never with full character sheets so I'm struggling a bit.
>>
>>47445095
Save yourself the headache and go full human.
>>
>>47445095
It can work easily. The best counter to the CSMs combat ability is hordes.

Holy fuck, one round of Horde damage can kill a CSM dead. It happened to me, my CSM lost a leg in a single round.

All human games can be more interesting, because CSMs generally follow the combat applications of their God whereas humans can do anything.
>>
>>47445095
Loyalist game so I dunno how useful it will be for you, but I'm playing a Killmarine in the current DH game I'm in. In general, the GM has balanced things wonderfully. While I can do some serious damage in a fight, everyone still contributes, and I'm utterly useless when it comes to subterfuge/keeping a low profile. I actually had fun with the "sitting in a van" aspect, where I'd stay behind while they investigated and occasionally give useless advice over the microbead.
>>
>>47445123
You might want to run a game using the Vostroyan Firstborn. They get a good starting equipment kit, good armor, not too much odd fiddly bits...they're generally an idiot-proof starting regiment. Plus you get to look like streltsy with laser rifles.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2736x2736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2736x2736
>>47436103
/40krpg/, please tell me stories of your times playing the games that rival or is greater than the freakiness and horror that is the Frilled Shark.
>>
>>47445241
I was thinking that comparing the starting modifiers. At least two of my players are Russaboos to boot.

I'll probably just go Cadian tho to keep everything as generic and graspable as possible. That and I have boner for Armoured Infantry and might start things with a theatrical Chimera ride.

Thanks for the replies everyone it's much appreciated.
>>
>>47445356
If you go Cadian I would swap out the autopistol with a laspistol, unless you and your players don't mind juggling weapon training for SP and las.
>>
>>47437713
Sage.
>>47443771
No one else is bothered because the book covers it in the section called encounter building.
>>
>>47445356
i had the same idea to introduce players to the game.

>Players get conscripted from their planet and train on the 2 week ride over to the other system
>they are in ship 1 while ship 2 has some delays
>Chimera ride of the first wave against supposedly 'untrained unarmed cultists'
>massive armor formation across semi open fields, everyone is hyped
>chimera gets hit/throws a track in the middle of the cultist kill zone
>obviously intel was wrong
>pile out and get butchered slowly while being told to advance on foot
>tell them to reroll characters and tell them they are on ship 2 as it arrives in system

planned for their second characters to be semi veterans of a scouting regiment, not directed at you but id though id just share the idea
>>
Which book has rules for a Multi-Laser?
>>
>>47446367
OW corebook has one.
>>
>>47445281
Those teeth. Not a fan
>>
>>47447367
They're a reminder that only death is in the ocean.
>>
Does anyone know if there are alternate career ranks in Rogue Trader? I have the PDFs, but I'm too lazy to go through and check them all. If there are, I can compile them all into a single PDF. Same guy who wrote up the list of Dark Heresy ones.
>>
>>47447488
There are, yeah, most of the supplements have a few.
>>
>>47448375
Ok, thanks. I'll work on putting that pdf together tomorrow. It'll be posted in my Mega folder, which is in the OP labelled as "Additional Resources"
>>
>>47448442
Same guy. Do people want me to include alternate career ranks from Fear and Loathing/The Fringe is Yours? Or would you guys prefer official stuff only?
>>
>>47449143
I'd prefer official only. Not sure if anyone would appreciate a separate 'kitchen sink' file. (probably)
>>
>>47449257
ok. Should be up by Saturday at the latest
>>
I need tips on roleplaying as a female Tau Diplomat.

My problem is that I don't know much about the Tau, other than they have a caste based society, and iirc that the Water-caste are their diplomats, correct?

What I'd need to know is how she'd act, either when meeting new xenos and with humans, and how Tau are named.

I'm planning for her to be a recurring character, so I want to go a bit in-depth here and all.
>>
>>47449740
>how Tau are named.
Tau names go
>Caste (In this case, Por) ' Rank (Probably La or Ui, for a starting character), so Por'La or Por'Ui
>Given name (s), pick something vaguely East or Southeast Asian and replace random vowels with apostrophes or break down syllables with same, like, say, M'Ko'To. Repeat anywhere from 0-3 times, depending on tastes. More names roughly correspond to more prestige.
>Deed name(s): Mark any especially important deeds with a deed name describing it, using http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tau_Lexicon . Keep the english translation handy as a nickname. Your character may not have any deed names if she's brand new. Ask your GM.
>>
>>47449814
Dammit, I forgot the sept name. Fuck me.
>>
>>47449814
Thanks a ton mate! This'll help a lot!

Not sure if this is an odd question or not, but what would Tau think of inter-species love/romance? The question just came to me right now as I remembered that if you discount the possibly 1984 theme they might have, (Can't remember how it actually is, as I've said before that I don't know much about Tau) they seem like the most 'reasonable' of all the factions, iirc.

Not that I'm actually going to use that roleplay-wise of course, though it might prove interesting, were it to be even close to allowed.
>>
>>47450060
Tau have a eugenics program forcing them to mate with others of the same caste. There's not really much to say that they do engage in anything inter-species, but I'd say that it's not a preferable option.
>>
>>47450060
>>47450091
That, and of the options available to them
>Kroot have no genitalia or indeed anuses
>Demiurg almost never meet anyone in person
>Vespids are fucking bees
>Nicassar are psychic zero gee flatbears
>Humans are too tall and bulky, and they're all...smooth and pink and weird-looking. Not that you'd say that out loud, it's rude.
>>
>>47450091
Ah, I see. I suppose that makes sense, fits in the 1984 theme they have. They do have that, right?

>>47450141
Honestly, I feel like Tau /d/ would be filled with Human porn. And that /d/eviants would still do Vespids.
>>
>>47450202
>fits in the 1984 theme they have. They do have that, right?
They're equal parts 1984, Communist China, India, and the more patronizing parts of the British Empire. They do horrible fucking things, but they genuinely think it's ultimately for the greater good (Pun intended). After all, it's not the humans' fault they're savages whacking buttons with their dicks, it's the fault of their backwards retard culture stifling potential and innovation. They need tau culture to civilize the poor things.
>>
>>47450231
Alright, got it, I think.

So, semi-naive, and wanting to uplift the noble savages sort of thing?
>>
>>47450270
Pretty much, yeah. Though depending on the tau, they might not see humans as especially noble savages.
>>
>>47450292
Eh, close enough!

Anyways, my boyfriend is going to play the Rogue Trader for the campaign, and I'm thinking I want to be a/the Tau Water-caste diplomat (in-training/new diplomat?) sent to foster relations using his influence.

Would be different enough, and it sounded like fun to me, so I thought I'd gice it a try. Though, I've not played Rogue Trader before, just Only War.
>>
So in an upcoming RT game I'm going to be the Seneschal in a game consisting of the following;
>Rogue Trader
>Arch Militant
>Navigator
>Void Master
>Explorator

I was wondering how does someone play a Seneschal well? Anyone have some tips or interesting stories?
>>
>>47450356
Which is why I wanted to ask on here so I'd know how to roleplay as one, not knowing much about Tau beforehand except a few little tidbits, as well as the small bits of background info our DM gave when meeting and/or fighting them in OW.

So now I just need to read up and figure out how to roleplay her and I think I'll have the basics down.
>>
>>47450367
As Seneschal, you are the captain's most trusted subordinate. You keep the books, you handle the day to day minutiae, and you take out the trash. You are the Alfred to his Batman, the Walter to her Integra, the Baldrick to his Blackadder, etc. You're the butler and the head subordinate, but you are a badass one (Or not, if you prefer).
Cultivate that supercilious, snarky subservience, and be loyal to your RT. The number one thing I see seneschals fuck up is being backstabbing dickholes. Don't be that. Back up your RT unless he is a complete retard. If he is a complete retard, try to steer him while slipping in snark where you can.
>>
>>47450430
Or better yet, if he's a complete retard you have to clean up behind the scenes, and make sure things go smoothly. So long as the other player understands that's the thing you've got going on, you'll be fine. If the player's a retard, good luck.
>>
>>47445394
But lasweapons blow aesthetically.
>>
File: CFO.gif (579 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
CFO.gif
579 KB, 500x281
>>47450467
>>47450430
I'm just picturing this guy as a Seneschal now.
>>
>>47450487
>implying that's not a perfectly valid interpretation of a seneschal
>>
>>47450487
> this guy
> doesn't explain any further
Wait there while I telegram my librarian.
>>
File: 1452614304954.jpg (160 KB, 740x1079) Image search: [Google]
1452614304954.jpg
160 KB, 740x1079
>>47449740
>>47450401
Hey, sorry for the wall of text, but your questions made me want to write a sort of crash primer on the Tau. Some of this is my opinion/speculations, and may conflict with "pure" canon, so be warned.

My thinking on Tau is that they are actually fairly close to humans. I like to focus on their initial appearance, when the darker aspects of their culture were kept neatly under the hood and vaguely hinted at instead of going full blown forced sterilization and all that.

Anywho, unlike Eldar or Orks, a big part of the Tau is that their habits are fairly familiar to humans. Tau like to get drunk, they like to have fun, they have dreams and ambitions, they have prejudices and resentments, all in a very human manner.

In general, they take their work very seriously. Work is determined broadly by birth, and fulfilling your job is akin to following your destiny. There's still some flexibility, for example an Earth Caste can be anything from a day-laborer to an advanced mechanical engineer, but aspiring to something too outside your Caste is *strongly* frowned upon. Iirc, there was an Earth Caste battlesuit pilot, but he was a very rare exception, possibly unique.

Their sexual relations aren't heavily touched upon beyond breeding being restricted to within caste. There's not much mention of forbidden cross-caste romance, so it can be assumed that it's seen as something shameful rather than romantic, whether it happens enough to be mentionable at all in the grand scheme of things.
(Cont.)
>>
>>47451093
>unlike...Orks, ...their habits are fairly familiar to humans
My favorite bit of RP with an ork was one of the earliest RT games I ran. The other players were quietly terrified of the ork and tried to get him killed at literally every opportunity by throwing him in the general direction of the nastiest looking threat.
This earned them his undying friendship, because they were being so generous by leading him to tough fights and letting him krump BIG FINGS all on his own. Then they tried to pawn him off by stranding him on a hulked frigate. A couple months later, he found them again in his brand new Savage Gunship full of orks, eager to go off with them to see what fight they'd throw him at next.
>>
File: 1460910923463.jpg (51 KB, 802x737) Image search: [Google]
1460910923463.jpg
51 KB, 802x737
>>47451093
>>47451093
(cont.)
Romance-wise, Tau do seem to have traditional mating pairs and family bonding, but it may be the case that your mating partner is not the most important emotional bond in your life. The Tau Bonding Ritual, symbolized in the Fire Caste by carrying a ceremonial knife, is often said to be the Tau equivalent of marriage. Bonded Tau have seriously dedicated themselves to their shared work, they are intensely loyal and committed to each other and see their Bond-mates as a sort of microcosm to the Tau empire itself.

The Castes revere the Ethereals, but they are capable of being critical/resentful of each other, even if this is something not casually mentioned. A drunken Water Caste expressed his fears to a Rogue Trader once that the Fire Caste would seize control and destroy the Tau in endless war, for example. A Tau will NEVER question an Ethereal's decision. Even suggesting such a thing is unthinkable though there are Tau renegades outside the Empire who seem to resent the Ethereals for some reason.

Likewise, prejudice exists against allied species, but is frowned on as impolite and ultimately contrary to the Tau'va. Most Tau find the flesh-eating of the Kroot disturbing, but will quickly cover up their distaste by commenting on the Kroot's heroism and loyalty.

Tau most certainly do think of themselves as superior and see it as their destiny to bring up all the other species of the galaxy that can be reasoned with. A "Blue Man's Burden", if you will. They will shoot you, burn your house down and crush your cities to dust... but it's all for your own good. They take no joy in it beyond the joy of knowing that soon, you will be on the path to joining them in their glorious empire. You'll be happy, fulfilled, serving something so much greater than yourself. You just have to be convinced first, and if it takes a gun to convince you... well it's all for the Greater Good, isn't it?
>>
>>47451143
Ha! That's great Ork rp. For merciless war beasts, Orks are certainly such cheery, good natured sorts.
>>
Wanting to run a full-Sororitas one shot with Dark Heresy 2nd Edition.

Recommended reading, which method do you prefer (Inquisitor's Handbook\Enemy Within), other thoughts\comments?

pls no bouli like 40K General did.
>>
>>47451093
>Their sexual relations aren't heavily touched upon beyond breeding being restricted to within caste.

I'm pretty sure there are references to the Tau practicing a form of soft eugenics. Men and women within their caste are matched up and told to get married and have children, and they don't really have much of a choice in the matter. If this is true, I would expect Tau to have a fairly dispassionate attitude to their partnerships; they're just another facet of their work to support and strengthen the Empire. If you happen to get on well with your co-worker, great, but if you don't then you just have to knuckle down and get on with it.
>>
>>47451803
If you're going to use 2e, why not use 2e material?
>>
>>47451093
>Their sexual relations aren't heavily touched upon beyond breeding being restricted to within caste
>Romance-wise, Tau do seem to have traditional mating pairs and family bonding
The Tau always seemed like a race that would be prone to eugenics, surrogate parents, and boarding schools to me.
If anything, they could have sexual relationships for recreation, disconnected from reproduction and family.
Even extramarital romance could be a thing as long as there isn't any pregnancy. Happy workers are productive workers.

Otherwise, it's solid IMO.
>>
Do you guys do space battles outside of rogue trader?

How do you run them?
>>
>>47452054
I did for deathwatch, once
Basically just take RT rules and scale it up.
I only did it once because it tends not to work so well out of RT. Players get annoyed that all of the space fights dont have an engineer, or anything like it. So its invisible rolls and everybody gets fragmented bulkhead hitting them.
>>
>>47452553
Ah well, my players have been itching for a space battle in DH2E but I thought it'd be kinda shitty to cram rules or run it natively anyways
>>
>>47452657
*narratively either way
>>
>>47451803
Read faith and fire
>>
>>47449257
>>47449414
Additional Resources guy here, computer can't edit any of my RT pdfs (unlike with the DH 1e pdfs), so I am unable to deliver on my promise to you guys. Sorry folks
>>
>>47453028
MEGA guy here, at least you know how to edit pdfs, I had to get another anon to remove the drivethruRPG watermark with my name on it from the GM kit.
>>
>>47453053
That's not good
>>
>>47449143

It would be great to include those, but with an asterisk or toggle for homebrew content.
>>
>>47451856
Your family are those bounded with you in the Taliserra ritual. Breeding is just breeding.
>>
>>47450367
Is seneschal that good of a class? All he seems to get is lore skills mostly iirc. I'd almost rather play a missionary and then fluff him as the seneschal so that way you can use your fellowship to actually interact with the crew.
>>
How would perceptive enemies like Eldar or Slaaneshi types or whatever do against things like stun or choke grenades? I'd imagine sensitive noses and ears would be more receptive to that kind of thing
>>
>>47456055
I'd imagine Eldar helmets would incorporate protection against that, but otherwise yeah.
>>
>>47456055
Slaaneshi would probably consider it to be a good pain and only get more motivated to kill you, so they be as likely to become Frenzied as they are to get knocked out.

IMO, Eldar with an helmet would ignore the additional effect due to the filters and dampeners. Eldar without helmets... It all depends on how you want to play it.

If you want to give them a disadvantage, you can (from the light stuff to the punishing one)
>give them a -10 penalty to tests against attacks to their senses
>make them take a thoughness test or take one level of Fatigue.
>make them take a thoughness test or take one level of Fatigue per degree of failure.
>make them take a thoughness test or be Pinned/Stunned.
>>
Hey /tg/

My Nobmmando in a rogue trader turned black crusade game keeps getting daemon stuff given or made for him.

So far he has a slaaneshi greatblade, a khornate chain axe, and nurglish armour made from a pseudo-daemon slug.

What would Tzeentch give this unexpected champion of chaos undivided?
>>
>>47457453
A sudden but in retrospect inevitable betrayal.
>>
>>47455914
I might be misremembering (been a while since I've looked at RT), but seneschals are also the sneaky/deceivey lot, and naturally they also easily get the commerce and trade related stuff, with their array of lores and languages and whatnot there to facilitate both aspects.
>>
>>47457453
Good old warp-flamer I guess?
>>
File: 1452039967439.jpg (118 KB, 590x804) Image search: [Google]
1452039967439.jpg
118 KB, 590x804
What's a decent premise for a campaign of heretics?

What kind of ghastly deeds would you have your players do? What kind of disgusting demons would they run into?
>>
>>47457521
Pretty sure that's what my rogue trader is gearing up to give m- ohhh.
>>
>>47457552
Ah, I have that. I guess when you have grots flash up archaeotech lifter armour with eldar warp destabilizing crystal it does weird stuff to the or kief parts they also grafted on.

The volcano cannon shoots daemon eating warp fire now.

Waz-Cutta doesn't question it overmuch.
>>
>>47457582
The best campaign would be to set them loose on the worlds, if they have motivation, and juxtapose their own horrible stuff with how imperial citizens are regularly treated.

Nitty gritty. Tzeetch acolyte? Suborns the willpower of some factory workers to destabilize a hive world.

Go into graphic detail on the working conditions and general terrible nature of humanity in the 41st millenium.

It's getting the evocative and emotional reaction from them. Make them want to hate the imperium personally, and allow them to destroy it, before you start sending out hit squads of inquisition acolytes and finally assinorum members after them. Give them a blaze of glory, only after you've broken them down and built them into the monsters they're supposed to play.
>>
>>47451890
I sought how to run Sororitas in 2e and that's what I heard. There's an SoB requisition ally but no player progression in core book.

Enemies Within is the 2e supplement that adds SoB background/Advances?
>>
Weird question, /40kRPG/. Would a tau scholar/teacher/librarian be an Earth Caste (Tech and science is their wheelhouse) or a Water caste (More sociable, and education seems Water-y)?
>>
>>47458250
Probably depends on the subject. I'd imagine that each caste has teachers, really.
>>
>>47451890
Well, some folks prefer Calixis.
>>
>>47451093
>>47451309
Hey, thanks for this! I fell asleep a little after I sent my post, but I'm really grateful for this, and you've been a great help! Now I just need to come up with a name and background, as well as how I should try to roleplay her, and I'll be set!

Also, the Tech-priestess pinup gave me a couple ideas.

Maybe as a tech-priestess who believes that the fusion of woman and machine accentuates the beauty of both the human form and the Omnissiah's domain. Probably biologis related?

And maybe a not-so serious erp game with my now fiance! and maybe one or two of my friends as well.

OH MY GOD HE PROPOSED EARLIER! I'm so excited!
>>
>>47459912
Congrats, anon! I hope the two of you have a happy marriage!
>>
>>47458250
Hmm... If I had to choose one caste, it'd be the Water caste for the reasons you listed.

>>47458378
Or this as well, each caste having it's own teachers.

>>47459912
Congrats, anon!
>>
>>47459912
That sounds like a pretty cool character concept, actually. I like it.

>40k erp
All the best girls are always taken. Always!

Ah well, congratulations and I hope you've a happy life together!
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 468x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 468x600
>>47459912
I hope everything turns out alright, Anon. Have a happy life together.
>>
>>47458095
Yes.
>>
>>47459953
>>47459980
>>47460116
Thanks so much! This ca/tg/irl is really excited and happy right now. Like, seriously I feel great!

>>47460116
Thanks, I'm thinking of maybe using her in the erp as my character probably. I really like the idea, honestly. Now I'm wondering if there are any canon instances of someone like her?
>>
>>47460258
Thanks anon! We've been dating for about four years now, I'm just glad he's finally popped the question!

Spoilered because blogposting.
tfw I want to be the stereotypical 50/60's housewife, stay at home and make sure everything is in order, and sex whenever. Seriously, if there's one thing he can't do is keep his apartment tidy, yet he can clean himself up pretty nicely.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2892x5844) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2892x5844
>>47460453
Oh my. Sounds like your fiancé is a neat slob or whatever the correct term. Would still want to be the stereotypical 50s/60s housewife if he could keep his place clean? Also have a great helm picture.
>>
>>47460624
Oh no, he's a great guy, cleans himself up, showers regularly and all that, and he's got a great job as well! It's just that he's horrible when it comes to cleaning his own house and he can't cook for himself very well. I still love him though, the goof he is, and he's an amazing roleplayer as well and he's DMed for both myself and our friends before too.

I'd still do the housewife stuff though. Because I think it'd be nice, really, and I'd rather him have to eat chinese take-out less. And when we do have kids, I'd rather be able to watch them whenever possible, y'know? Plus, I love to cook as well, and I like to be able to do it for him and the rest of my family when we visit them.

That's a really cool helmet though! Won't beat the sallet for my love, however.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 381x528) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 381x528
>>47460780
Your fiancé sounds like a keeper. Don't lose him. How did you two meet?
>That's a really cool helmet though! Won't beat the sallet for my love, however.
You have taste, Anon. Sallets just happen to be in my top favorite helms, next to closed helms and great helms.
>>
>>47460909
Ah, well we met in highschool as seniors, when one of my friends decided to invite me and a few others, him included, to her house to play D&D, stuff happened, we started playing other games like Call of Cthulhu and Dark Heresy, and then we started dating.

I'm 23 now. Today is also my birthday. Best brithday present in a long time.

I just really like the sallet for how cool it looks, no other reason, really. That's probably one of the reasons why I like 40k, actually.
>>
>>47461069
Happy birthday, Anon. Thanks for sharing about yourself.
>I just really like the sallet for how cool it looks, no other reason, really. That's probably one of the reasons why I like 40k, actually.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the only sallet wearers in 40k the Sisters and Skitarii?
>>
File: 1441801704167.png (155 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
1441801704167.png
155 KB, 563x542
This thread went an unexpected and very happy direction.
>>
>>47461145
Thanks again! And yeah, though I meant more like a general 'This looks cool' or cute AND cool in the case of Tyranids, sort of thing.

Though, I'm interested in maybe getting a Skitarii and AdMech army for the tabletop, because they're one of my favorite factions in the series, and I'm happy that they're finally getting soem tabletop love! Maybe once their codices are combined, though.

>tfw going to make said techpriestess from earlier as my character for the erp, realize that I've never heard any references what sex would be like with one, and now I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>47461286
>Thanks again! And yeah, though I meant more like a general 'This looks cool' or cute AND cool in the case of Tyranids, sort of thing.
>Tyranids
Huh. The meme is right again.
>Though, I'm interested in maybe getting a Skitarii and AdMech army for the tabletop, because they're one of my favorite factions in the series, and I'm happy that they're finally getting soem tabletop love! Maybe once their codices are combined, though
I hear that with the upcoming IA you will be able to take a unit or two from FW's Mechanicum line so that will probably interest ya. As for that last part Cain supposedly shagged a tech priestess, but I guess sex with one would include a lot of sacred oil, and playing with her tubes.
>>
>>47461431
Well, really it's mostly just the rippers, they're just so tiny!

The IA thing does interest me, that's good to know, thanks!

I'm afraid I've not read much 40k novels, I should though! I do want to read the Ciaphas Cain series as well, as I've heard it's quite good, which is nice.
>>
>>47461535
Anon, I'm pretty sure it's not just the rippers. Am I right?
>>
>>47461535
>Rippers
>because they're tiny
That's half the reason according to the meme. As for the novels they're iffy. Some are good but BL's not entirely great these days. One older series I recommend is the Inquisition War.
>>
>>47461703
Alright, thanks for that then, I'll have to check them out! And yeah, I've heard that BL isn't doing too well with the book quality right now. I'm currently reading the Priests of Mars, just got started with it yesterday, and it seems pretty good, though I'm only on page 60.

>>47461563
Don't make fun of my legitimate tentacle fetish. Or my other /d/ tier fetishes. Plz no bully!
>>
>>47461784
A problem BL is having is corporate interference as the Horus Heresy series is proof. That wasn't suppose to be a series that sent us on a grimdark future where there is only novels, but it did. The first four novels are great though. The banter between the marines and Horus being Super Dad is quite sad when you saw him becoming an edgelord.
>Don't make fun of my legitimate tentacle fetish. Or my other /d/ tier fetishes. Plz no bully!
And like that you proved you really are a Nid fangirl.
>>
>>47461784
>Plz no bully!
This phrase makes me want to throat punch whoever says it.

It's straight out of tumblr or some shit.
>>
>>47461880
That actually sounds pretty interesting, I think I'd give those ones a read as well.

Nah, that part was mostly a joke, considering the stereotypes.

>>47461911
Ah, sorry Anon! Just wanted to make a little joke there.
>>
>>47461941
Go for it.
>Joke
Whatever you say.
>>
>>47461911
It should make you want to bully something. It's out of /a/, you twat.
>>
>>47461982
I said "or some shit".

They're similarly terrible.
>>
>>47461975
Well, anyways, thanks for all the help /40krpg/!

I'm off to go do stuff, start planning, and probably some celebratory sex!
>>
>>47441194
Captain Poirot is always a classic.
>>
>>47462028
Considering these sorts of memes propagated across the entire site, I'd say you're the odd one out.
>>
So my friends and I tried playing the Black Crusade rpg, and found it to be one of the most ass backwards books ever written. Character options would be referenced but wouldnt exist on the page the reference pointed to (if at all). The book copy and pasted the same content over and over. The splat books suffered a terminal case of power creep.

So my buddy set out to mod Dungeon World x Black Crusade. Its not rdy yet, but is there any interest here in checking it out? Is there any companion guide to black crusade that unfucks that mess?
>>
>>47462064
A bit late, but congrats anon!

Is it okay to say that I'm jealous of her? And that I'd totally love to do a 40k erp with a fa/tg/uy, either on Omegle or Chatzy. I'm not really fond of the guys near me in a dating sense, and my boyfriend broke up with me two years ago after I found out he was cheating on me. I'm glad for her, don't get me wrong! I'm just feeling lonely is all. And I felt like complaining my frustrations away. Sorry for the blogpost. I feel a little better now. Sorry again for the blogpost.
>>
>>47462603
>And that I'd totally love to do a 40k erp with a fa/tg/uy
I mean, this is pretty simple to arrange...
>>
>>47462707
If you're offering, I'm down for it. Around 9:45-10:00 PST is when I'll be able to do it, if you want?
>>
>>47462757
Maybe? I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that with another girl, but if no one else pipes up and you're set on doing it, I may give it a shot.
>>
>>47462881
>not sure I'm comfortable doing that with another girl
>suddenly, thread filled with G.I.R.L.s
Ok, bud.
>>
>>47462881
I'd be fine with doing it with another girl, but if you feel uncomfortable about it, you don't have to! If someone else pipes up I'll invite him/her instead if you want.
>>
>>47462990
There's... two? people that have stated their gender. It's kind of needy, but it's definitely not unusual.
>>
>>47462990
At least one of them types like a girl. Yes, there are patterns you can see.
>>
There are a lot more females on 4chan than one might imagine, but for a wide variety of reasons they learn quickly to not mention this fact or realized to begin with that being a fem Anon is an impermissible permutation of the Anon identity.

That being said /tg/ has never had a moral fag problem so I don't think we care about AnonKultur. It's just the whole thing becomes needy boys (aged up thru 40) and needy girls (pretending, trans*, land whale, or otherwise normal), which is gross and wastes space.

In other news:
Space men.
>>
>>47463088
Really? That's interesting, how can you tell?
>>
>>47463088
Interesting, I've heard that sort of stuff before, but never paid it much attention. Care to elaborate?
>>
>>47463265
>>47463269
That's somewhat difficult to explain. It's sort of an impression I get after having been on the internet for so long.
>>
>>47463402
Well, alright then. I don't really care, just thought that was interesting. Honestly, I'd take up,
>>47462603
>>47462757
On her offer if it wasn't like around 4:00 in the morning here around then.
>>
>>47463402
Case in point, Turbofag the Womyn Whysperer right here claiming he can suss out clan scent from sentence patterns.

Someone start a genderfagging r20 table and leave this thread be.
>>
>>47463458
Anon, you are the cancer.
>>
File: 12975260172131.jpg (187 KB, 830x974) Image search: [Google]
12975260172131.jpg
187 KB, 830x974
>>47449740
>I need tips on roleplaying as a female Tau Diplomat
Babble a lot, don't do anything useful or logical.

>My problem is that I don't know much about the Tau
Tau are a shitty race with lego armor that were shoe-horned into 40k. Tau men have vaginas in place of where their nose should be, that's really all you need to know.

>What I'd need to know is how she'd act
Like a cunt.

>how Tau are named
Just make a word, divide it into two or three syllables, and put an apostrophe between two of the syllables. For example: Ho'Mo, Pan'Tee, Gay'Bo.
>>
Is there any recommended reading for a first time RT player outside of the rulebooks/supplements?
>>
>>47464115
Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>47464443
Treasure Planet, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Bodacoius Space Pirates.
>>
File: 1455236418378.png (780 KB, 565x782) Image search: [Google]
1455236418378.png
780 KB, 565x782
>>47459912
No problem Anon. And congratulations on the proposal! Nerd love always makes me so happy.
>>47452006
Their first codex did have a letter written from a Tau to his sister while he visited Pech, iirc. He basically says "Hey sis, Pech is a little scary but the Kroot are actually pretty nice despite the cannibalism. Love you lots, tell mom and pop I miss 'em!"
So I inferred from that that there is familial bonding among Tau, it's just not necessarily the same as the emotional bond between Taliserra participants. I could see, for example, a Tau mother being perfectly comfortable with the fact that her breeding partner spends a lot of time with his Bond-mates and openly displays affection and preference for them. She likes him a lot, after all, but he's only the father of her children and she knows how important the Taliserra is.
>>47461286
Well, there's a Biologis variant in the Lathe Worlds source book for DH that's all about having perfect biological parts and being good at interacting with non-mechanicus. Maybe you could start with that?
Ciaphas Cain makes oblique reference to banging a tech-priestess in one of the books. Her mechadendrites are flexible enough to not get in the way, and she's still mostly meat so it's not too different.

>>47462456
Welcome to 40krpg Anon, where the rules make no damn sense but we love 'em anyway. I'm not familiar with Dungeon World, what would that add?

>>47464443
Anything about Conquistadores.
>>
>>47464548
Already playing a flamboyantly dressed nobleman who's going to spend a lot of time searching for the 40k equivalent of treasure maps.

Do they make parrot servoskulls?
>>
>>47449740

What career are you using for the tau diplomat? I wanted to play one myself one day, but the only one I know of (water caste ambassador) is in the homebrew books in the OP. Are there others to compare to?
>>
>>47465262
Not her, though I'm thinking she might be using the homebrew, or modifying an existing class with her DM.

Though, if she gets back anytime soon she could tell you herself as noted in, >>47462064, she's off for some fun time with her fiancé.

Anyways, congratulations and happy birthday to you, Anon! A bit late, but it's the thought that counts.
>>
>>47464691
Then he comes back to the planet 30-odd years later and she's a magos, basically indistinguishable from any other magos beyond her vaguely warm nostalgia for him. He's mildly bummed out by that one.
>>
>>47465461
Well played Sandy Mitchell. Well played.
>>
>>47464691
Hey, thanks! I just looked it up, the Factors of the Lathes, and it seems perfect, honestly! The spoiler is nice too, another anon mentioned it earlier.

And since the description of the Factors has their implants be nearly unnoticeable and their mechadendrites much slimmer amd even detachable is something that's pretty cool as well, could totally be a cyborg pinup girl like that!

Also, that's a cool little tidbit on the Tau, I'll make note of that as well.

>>47465262
I'm going to use the homebrew one in the OP, our DM gave the okay for it, so that's what I'm using.

>>47465363
Thanks!

>>47465461
Huh, that's a cool little reference/continuity thing there.

One of my friends is totally down for joining the erp. Going to be real fun now!
>>
I'm going to DM my first game of RT in a week or two and it'll be my first time playing with any of the 40k systems. What are some important things to keep in mind and watch out for? I'd appreciate any advice you guys have got
>>
>>47445123
Had fun with an OW game i ran a while ago.
Assigned a bro-commisar with a 0% survival rate to them, and used him to force then into the worst shit i could find and make them try to survive.

Highlights include riding a pimped chimera through the warp, starring in tau propaganda and holding back a rather oversized mob of genestealers in a crashed ship.

Good times, and the players took it well even when i poured on the pain (although there was always a reason, even if they didnt know it)
>>
>>47459912
CONGRATS ANON!
>>
>>47467211
>run an OW camp before
>my first rt in a few weeks too

The system seems to have a few major differances, but the biggest thing that stands out to me is scale.

So i will be emphasising to my players the fact they can employ and equip a small army and navy if they put the effort and Profit Factor into it.
>>
File: captain.jpg (177 KB, 723x1080) Image search: [Google]
captain.jpg
177 KB, 723x1080
>>47467211
In no particular order
>DOUBLE CHECK ALL PSYKERS. PSYKERS CAN BREAK THE GAME. This includes Navigators. Don't disallow them, they're great, but run the math with their powers and make sure that they won't one shot every single baddie they come across.
>Remember that most rolls should be made with a bonus. Rolling against your raw skill is "Challenging". Don't forget to account for equipment, any situational bonuses you might want to put in there, whether the character is experienced with what he's doing, etc.
>RT is less "wiffy" than Dark Heresy, but remember even a failed roll doesn't necessarily mean disaster. Say the Seneschal is trying to get a vault door open, while a rival Rogue's mercenaries patrol the area nearby. The Seneschal fails by two degrees. He gets the door open, but it takes much longer, and there's a chance the guards spot him, so he'll have to roll to avoid detection.
>Remember, RT is about freedom. Be ready to improvise, and remember that Rogue Traders really can "Dust off and Nuke the Site from Orbit".
>Encourage the players to get into character. They're ambitious! They CRAVE danger! Don't sit back on the bridge and let the mooks explore the death world, they might make off with some sweet treasure that rightly belongs to the Dynasty!
>I highly encourage you to make characters as a group. The rulebook suggests that any time players select the same event on their life path, that should be how they know each other. I think this is a great idea, so run with it!
>Remember, the players are a big deal. Even starting Rogue Traders and their cadres are people with more money than god and the technical authority to do whatever they please outside the Imperium. Let the players have fun being snobs, but remind them that there are bigger fish they have to watch out for, and their warrant of trade don't mean shit to a Rak'Ghol warband.

Good luck anon! RT is one of the coolest settings, I hope you cats have fun.
>>
>>47445874
aka "The gm is going to kill all the characters you worked on, and their participation in the story is non existant to the plot that you want to tell, which includes their defeat no matter what they do."

I see~! Wow. Can't wait to play.
>>
Got a silly idea for an Ork character in a RT game, what do you guys think of it:
His Waaagh fought a lot against chaos raiders (puny things), and then landed on an Ogryn world.
As a result, he sees the Emperor like a human equivalent of Gork and Mork, making the 'umies stronger and better through fights.
He's joining a RT crew, and constantly urges them to worship the Emprah and get into fights, becayse they are still very scrawny, so obviously they're doing something wrong.
Also always considers the biggest humans to be in charge, going to enhanced bodyguards and vat-grown serivtors, and ignoring the real autorities.

>>47459912
Congratulations, anon.
>>
>>47467663
>DOUBLE CHECK ALL PSYKERS. PSYKERS CAN BREAK THE GAME. This includes Navigators. Don't disallow them, they're great, but run the math with their powers and make sure that they won't one shot every single baddie they come across.
This bit me in the ass. Our navigator is essentially good at three things. Navigatin', tradin' and not being hit. The Path Untraveled is an incredible power.
>>
Hey /TG? i need your help. My friends are coming over tomorrow morning to start a Black Crusade campaign and everyone is super excited. Problem is that i still haven't finished creating my character, i decided to play a plague meister and i'm happy with that but looking through the skills i get i found that it seems to really want me to play melee which seems really strange to me but ok game you want me to be melle.

so my party is a khornate berserker and a warpsmith, i don't really know anything else about them.

my stats are 30 ws 41 bs 30 str 51 Toughness 40 Agi 64 Int 36 perception 40 will 40 fellowship

i have -3 to both my weapon skill and ballistic skill which is already accounted for as well as a advance in bs and int

Should i try to make this a melee build and swap around my bs and ws, maybe swap perception and str?

I really don't know what to do with my build or what gear to take.

Please help fa/TG/uys i cant find any help from google, ill also post this in the 40k general with the hopes i get a reply soon
>>
So, what's the silliest character reference you've had in a campaign?

Excluding the ones GW did themselves, like Obi-Wan Sherlock Clouseau.
>>
>>47470335
Plaguemeister is whatever you want to do with it, really. Sure, it starts with the option of either starting with extra dodge or parry, along with a small handful of melee-oriented talents, but it's definitely not melee-focused from the start like say, a Khorne Bezerker.

Black Crusade is probably the most open in terms of character progression than any other 40K rpg, so build him however you want.
>>
>>47467973
Welcome to 40k?
At least attempt to get over your sense of self-importance.
>>
>>47471440
My game has Saint Mulan (AKA Hua Ping) and the blessed tech-saint Reedoo From Sturtt, whose holy error-correction code exists in devices across the entire sector.
>>
>>47471440
>"CAH TRA AL! ALAT! DEEEEEELLLLLL!" is the Tech Priest's ultimate cry of desperation when working with a difficult cogitator-spirit.
>>
File: Rt_camp_ig.jpg (71 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
Rt_camp_ig.jpg
71 KB, 660x371
>>47471440
Lord General Friedrich Mercurius.
>>
>>47464115
>t.Imperial guy salty cause his wyvern and vulture spam list is no longer autowin.

Never fails to make me laugh.
>>
File: Absolutely Halal.jpg (8 KB, 248x250) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely Halal.jpg
8 KB, 248x250
>>47471960
>>
>>47459912
Congratulations. Hopefully everything turns out even better than you're expecting.
>>
>>47471976
beautiful
>>
>>47471440
My player's inquisitor in DH is pretty much what would happen if the Blackadder Dynasty survived into the 41st millennium.
>>
So, how valid would it be to play an RT as a 'reluctant' Mafioso type?
>"Please understand, I am not a cruel or violent man. But should you continue to be stubborn, I shall, regrettably, be forced to refer you to some exceedingly unpleasant individuals in my employ who are both. Yes, on the dotted line. I am glad we were able to reach an equitable agreement today."
>>
>>47475705
Incredibly valid. As valid as the perfect metaphor I'm sure exists but can't think of right now.
>>
Sorry couldn't find a proper thread for this fluff question and I thought that /40krpg/ was closest proper thread for this.

Voidborn and Astares. As we know voidborn are slightly weaker than average human due to weaker gravity and enviroment that doesn't try to kill you always. How would you fluff Chapter recruiting from Voidborn, how would they do it and solve the problem of lower quality neophytes and recruits?
>>
I'm taking over for my friend in GM'ing our Rogue Trader game while he takes a break. We trade off GM'ing a lot, and I'm usually good at improvising and running social adventures, while my friend is better at organizing combat and making interesting battles.
The problem is that this is my first time running a 40kRPG, and I have almost no idea what I'm doing combat wise. I'm absolutely great at 40k lore, and stuff like that, but there's no real guide to making a good battle scenario, and I'm worried that all my fights are going to end on huge anticlimaxes or TPK.
On my first try, I pitted the group against a bunch of mooks which they easily killed, and then an Ogryn as the boss. I was worried that I'd have to pull my punches without seeming obvious, because he seemed like a really dangerous opponent, but it made sense story-wise.
Our explorator killed it in a single round with a bolter on full-auto.
I have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>47476168
Maybe a chapter that's always on the move and doesn't have a homeworld or recruiting world, so that's the best they've got?
>>
>>47476455
That is the idea. They do not have homeworld and Inquisitors would rip them a new one if they recruited from other planets so they rely on crews of their ships and bigass space station they call home.

Biggest problem is just that I just can't think proper recruiting methods and how they would get enough recruits. What could they do to ensure constant flow of new candidates.
>>
>>47476633
Three words: Nomad-Predation Pattern.
>>
>>47476721
Oh fuck that is a bloody brilliant idea. Actually I have already written in the fluff that they have been practicing Shanghaiing from beaten foes.
Thanks mate.
>>
>>47476721
Isn't that was the Carcarodons use? Or is their style 'Hunter Predation'?
>>
>>47476168
>lower quality neophytes and recruits
To compensate perhaps the Chapter doesn't focus on melee combat. Or even if they do, they're not about brute force when it comes to melee. More finesse strikes. Instead of carving the enemy's heart out in one blow, crippling them with knee and elbow strikes until they're defenseless.
>>
>>47476994

It's forge world memery that doesn't actually exist. is it really worth it when you have to make up stupid shit?
>>
>>47477154
>F-Forge world isn't canon
>Everything I don't like is memes
>Canon only
Hi, memesanon, I missed you.
>>
File: Carcharodons.jpg (465 KB, 550x778) Image search: [Google]
Carcharodons.jpg
465 KB, 550x778
>>47477154
Very much so.

They're the only loyalist chapter I really like.
>>
>>47476994
>Isn't that was the Carcarodons use?
Got it in one. Basically "Kill all fighting men and women, carry off everything not nailed down for supplies, steal the kids as new raw material, move on".
>>
>>47476168
Remember that the Imperium has artificial gravity in the form of grav-plates. While nobody outside the upper echelons of the Mechanicus understands how the fuck they actually work, the operating principle is simple enough
>Grav-plate goes in floor, run power through it
>More power = more gravity, up to I think an arbitrary limit of about 8g, I may be wrong on that
So it's entirely possible to have a ship or part of a ship with much heavier gravity than normal to bulk your recruits up on.
>>
>>47477611

The newest joint venture between the Ordo Chronos and a Mechanicum Adept charging a grav plate to 100x gravity, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber!
>>
>>47477807
That sounds like a really bad idea
>>
File: Popo.jpg (104 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Popo.jpg
104 KB, 2048x1536
>>47477807
Oh I'm sure that'll go swimmingly.
>>
>>47457582
I'd actually have them liberate a planet and recover a stock-pile of cursed weapons before hightailing it out just as the ordo malleus or hereticus brings the hammer down.
Essentially scav-marines or chaos raiders just trying to make a quick buck in a universe that's trying to kill them.
>>
>>47477807
You could only safely send vox and noospheric signals through it. It makes calculating stuff super easy.
>>
Question for a prospective Dark Heresy GM: What reasons would the various Ordos/the Inquisition in general have to send an agent or agents into a Hive World's crime scene, undercover as gangsters? I'm going for a general 80s crime movie/cyberpunk thing and I think a ganger plot would work best for that.
>>
>>47478760
Reasonable suspicion that heretics/xenos/daemons are involved or linked to something else they're investigating.
>>
>>47471976
Huh. He actually looks like him too!

Bump!
>>
>>47459912
Congrats, anon! Happy days to you and your fiancé!

This is also a bump.
>>
So, I'm going to be running an Only War game for my friends soon, and I've still no idea on how to be a good GM, nor do I know what I should be doing. There is a premade campaign in the Core Rulebook that I haven't looked at yet, though I'll probably end up using it, but I'm not sure how I should set up my own campaigns and scenarios while being able to make challenging combat and non-combat situations.

Could you anons help me?
>>
>>47482673
If you're going to be running Only War, you need at least a basic idea of how soldiers interact. Watch Band of Brothers, the Pacific, and Generation Kill.
>>
File: Bricks.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bricks.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>47437198
>power armoured
>yet barefoot
>right leg
>with left foot

Wow, Citadel's shitty old "our first try" figs sure had a lot of "character."

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

/sarc
>>
so how do you guys normally manage to find game groups?

moved town recently and have been nogame for a while, posted on last few gamefinders but nothing seems to be happening there.

would give left nut for a decent DH2e game at this point.

more on topic: how have you anons handled porting of DH stuff to DH2? specifically dragon scale and other rather classic tech-priest/enginseer type stuff that has been mysteriously left out of the DH2 core and splats thus far.
>>
>>47483633
>Wow, Citadel's shitty old "our first try" figs sure had a lot of "character."

FINECAST!
>>
>>47482763
This. Also Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Fury...pretty much any good war flick will do.
>>
File: FineCast4.jpg (280 KB, 1920x995) Image search: [Google]
FineCast4.jpg
280 KB, 1920x995
>>47484971
>FINECAST

RTV moulds were a problem for fledgeling Citadel in The Metal Age, whereas FC was a modern cluster from dumb concept to outright lying about the result to its reluctant withdrawal as a component of THE FINEST MINIATURES IN THE WORLD[tm] by a company that must have known all of that would happen - and did it anyway.
>>
bamp
>>
File: Last-Chancers[1].jpg (80 KB, 383x485) Image search: [Google]
Last-Chancers[1].jpg
80 KB, 383x485
>>47482763
Best 40k portrayal of IG IMO is the Last Chancers trilogy. Solid cohesion and relationships despite some people hating each other guts.
Early Gaunt's Ghosts were particularly cringey in that regard.

The primary goal of the military is to instill loyalty to each other and towards the institution.
That's not to say that there shouldn't be traitors, turncloaks and people that don't care, but unless it "penal conscripts thrown into the meatgrinder", those occurences should be rare, bar the cases of xeno/daemonic corruption.
tl; dr: Don't treat it like a job, it's more of a way of life.

Try to alternate sessions on the frontline and sessions in R&R, to offer more variety.

>>47484059
Do you have a game store in your new town?
>>
>>47436103
I had a question concerning RT that I can't seem to find touched on. In a lot of the books where you can affect the population of a ship in various ways the effects are lessened for Light Cruisers/Cruisers compared to the small ships because of ship size. But what about the bigger ships?

Transports/Frigates have a crews hovering around 25k. Light Cruisers are around 50-60K and Cruisers are around 100k. But what about Grand Cruisers which can have around 150k?

It just seemed weird that I haven't found rules concerning the even larger crew populations, such as bonuses for boarding etc. I started looking when in one of the pre-made adventures it says that you can turn your crew into levies under the mass combat rules. If the ship's crew size is less then 50k it's 2 Crew per 1 Strength of the unit, if it's over 50k it's 1 Crew per 1 Strength. That makes sense but it seems to fall apart once it gets into the larger ship crews. A unit must be formed with at least 6 strength. So if I use an average for the ship hulls, using Core, we get the following size of a 6 strength levy:

(Less then 50k Crew)
Transports: 2,280 Crew
Raiders: 2,880 Crew
Frigates: 3,390 Crew

(50k or more)
Light Cruisers: 3,900 Crew
Cruisers: 5,700 Crew

(50k or more hulls from battle fleet koronus)
Battlecruiser: 6,055 Crew
Grand Cruiser: 7,740 Crew

It seems counter to reason since the bigger ships should be able to put out even more levies. But by RAW the Grand Cruiser, which has nearly double the Crew of a Light Cruiser, can only put out the same number of equal strength levies as a Light Cruiser, despite the levies in fluff being twice the size.

With that, should Grand Cruisers get a buff to the creation of levies but also a further negative to ship actions affected by size? Core p. 226 says that you can use a +20 Charm Test to restore 1d10 Morale to smaller ship while only a 1d5 to larger ones. Should this be something like 1d5 rolled twice take the lower for Grand Cruisers?
>>
>>47486920
>to its reluctant withdrawal

I doubt it was ever intended as anything but a stop-gap measure. They were already pushing to plastics, but as tin prices went through the roof they wanted to get out of metal faster than they could carve the tooling. So pour some resin into the rubber moulds and hope for the best.
>>
Tell me about your games, how are they going, what are you doing, etc.
>>
>>47488428
What pre-built has the rules for converting crews to levies?
>>
>>47489927
We got captured by mercenaries working for a Chaotic sorcerer while exploring ancient ruins. The sorcerer freed us after we killed all of his minions (survival of the fittest, I guess. Despite being outnumbered and primarely conposed of non-combattants, we made a good use of terrain, hiding in a chockepoint and crashing a statue on them).
One PC swore alliegiance to the sorcerer to ensure his survival. I'm currently thinking about t the best way of killing this traitor.
Aside from this chaotic episode, our quest for xeno technology is nearing an end, we should retire soon as we got the last magguffin to control the warp storm of the sector, unless our GM has planned otherwise.

We extracted a bunch of high-ranking prisoners and slaves from a Pirate Port, luring a couple krakens in the system and detonating a nearby planetoid to prevent reinforcements, sinking a dozen or so enemy ships in the process, so the Inquisition is very pleased. On the other side, we nearly got our Imperial Navy ally killed and cost him a bunch of escorts and a couple capital ships when alll the raiders of the region retaliated; but it's just a temporary setback for the mighty sword of the Emperor.

I wish we had more glorious victories instead of daring escapes, though.
>>
>>47490344
Warpstorm 1 The Frozen Reaches p39 the subheading 'Their Crew' has it.

First, the Explorers can fi eld one or more units of House Troopers (see page 34). These follow the same statline as the other Rogue Traders’ House Troopers. However, such units are not automatically included in a Rogue Trader’s dynasty. The Explorers may only fi eld this unit if they previously commissioned or obtained a light infantry or bodyguard unit of at least 100 soldiers.
Secondly, the Explorers can draft some of their crew to form a unit of Armsmen (see page 34). These follow the same statline as the other Rogue Traders’ Armsmen units. To raise these units, the Explorers decrease the Crew Population of their ship by an amount of their choosing. For every two points of Crew Population they reduce, the unit they are creating gains +1 Strength. In addition, each unit they create adds the ship’s Crew Rating to its Strength (see above). Each unit must be at least Strength 5 (before adding crew rating), and follows all the special rules for units of Armsmen. However, the Explorers can create as many of these units as they like.
If the Explorers’ ship has a crew of greater than 50,000 souls, units they create trade Crew Population for Strength on a one-for-one basis, due the greater numbers of crew that each point of Crew Population represents. Once the war is over, these units can be “changed” back into Crew Population as the Explorers order their crew back to the ship. This follows the same process in reverse: the remaining Strength (discounting the Strength from Crew Rating) is exchanged back to Crew Population.
Finally, the Explorers may be carrying a full-fl edged military unit on their ship (i.e., if they have a Barracks and have fi lled it with soldiers). In this case, the GM should consider the size and type of the unit, and use the stats of the most appropriate pre-existing unit to represent it. (The GM can tweak these stats if he feels it necessary.)
>>
>>47490344
>>47491258

Also, my number assumed 6 strength, not 5 like it said, so the numbers should be:

(Less then 50k Crew)
Transports: 1,900 Crew
Raiders: 2,400 Crew
Frigates: 2,825 Crew

(50k or more)
Light Cruisers: 3,250 Crew
Cruisers: 4,750 Crew

(50k or more hulls from battle fleet koronus)
Battlecruiser: 5,050 Crew
Grand Cruiser: 6,450 Crew
>>
Would Only War suck fat dick if I took out the comrade rules?
>>
>>47491608
I find that it kills the feeling of OW being like Band of Brothers and just turns it into a low power Death Watch
>>
>>47491608
Yes, especially with the loss of comrade actions like Get Them!.
>>
>>47489927

Bombarding a world with phosphex is only HALF an Exterminatus...right?
>>
>>47491653
It's an 8-12 player play-by-post game. Having them make up the entirety of a one to two man squad might alleviate that? Or maybe I'll just keep comrades in.
>>
>>47491281
>Grand Cruiser: 6,450 Crew
That seems really low to me.

Always thought a Grand Cruiser, or similarly large ship, would be 20k+ crew members.
>>
>>47436103
I need help interpreting a power

RT has Sensory Deprivation which has the following text:
Sensory Deprivation
Focus Power Test: Opposed Willpower
Range: 10m x Psy Rating
The psyker has learned how to block the messages of the target’s senses. The psyker makes an Opposed Willpower Test against the target. If he succeeds, the target is struck deaf, blind, and is unable to smell or taste for as long as the psyker maintains the power plus 1d5 rounds.
This power can also be used as a crude form of effective ‘invisibility’ allowing the psyker to pass unnoticed to sight or sound. The psyker selects a number of targets equal to his
Willpower Bonus and selects which single sense he wishes to suppress. This must be the same sense for each target. Each target must make an Opposed Willpower Test. Those that fail notice nothing out of the ordinary, and the sensory information is successfully masked by the psyker until he stops maintaining the power.

With the second part of this ability does it turn the affected target(s) blind or is it more along the lines of looping camera footage? I just want to know since if it's the former then wouldn't it technically allow the Astropath to turn the entire party invisible? But if it's the former then how does it justify suddenly going blind as being something where someone " fails to notice nothing out of the ordinary" Basically, I need to know if it:

A) only affects "the psyker" by basically editing themselves out of the memory of what the targets have seen

or

B) if it causes the target(s) to go totally blind without realizing they've gone blind which would allow the astropath to effectively give the entire party invisibility
>>
>>47492807
You're misinterpreting what he's writing, I think. Grand Cruiser crew complements vary between 112k to 141k, and battlecruisers vary between 98.2k to 107k crew.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.