[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Play MtG >Only build theme decks without caring about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: a92.jpg (68 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
a92.jpg
68 KB, 300x300
>Play MtG
>Only build theme decks without caring about mechanics
>Make a character, build deck around spells character would have
>Play mostly for the lore
>Think most of the lore and story is great
>Loving the SOI story so far
>Loved Theros
>Loved Tarkir, don't know why people complain about dragons
>Don't know why people complain about Gatewatch
>Or Jace
>Or Maro

Am I cancer?
>>
>>47430239
Yep
>>
>>47430239
For focusing on things other than mechanics/net decking to win? Not at all.

Not seeing an issue with how dumb the lore is at a lot of points? Still no, though you're closer in this case.
>>
>>47430285
Again not sure what parts of the lore are dumber than any other fantasy literature
>>
>>47430239
People complain about Dragons because they really liked the Khans setting and had gotten rather invested in it, and DTK took a lot of the interesting parts of the clans, ripped them out...and replaced them with dragons, leaving us with, yet again, allied color factions - all of which are rather horrible to the nondragons living under them.
And now the clans themselves have not existed for over a thousand years. And anything that happened in Khans of Tarkir simply did not happen and did not exist.
>>
>>47432251
Wasn't that the point of the Dragon Clans? Why would Dragons of all creatures treat humanoids as equals? And personally, all though I prefer the clans, I wouldn't say the Dragon clans are uninteresting or badly designed
>>
>>47432545
I don't think anyone expected them to treat the humanoids as equals.
However, I'm pretty sure people were hoping at least ONE of them wouldn't be a complete and utter villain. We already have the praetors for that, after all. We don't need Friend Dromoka, Dear Teacher Ojutai, Silumgar the saturday morning cartoon villain, Murderhobo Kolaghan, and Atarka the Flying Ecological Disaster as well.
It's kind of telling when the one that treats humanoids the best treats them little better than Friend Computer treats troubleshooters. Only they don't have clone backups.
>>
>>47430239
There are three main complaints about the Gatewatch, and they're completely different.
One is solely about the power level of some of the cards in the set Oath of the Gatewatch.
One is that some people don't like that almost every block from this point forward is going to involve one of the Gatewatch members - it's honestly rather limiting that one of Jace/Chandra/Nissa/Gideon have to be in a set for the next while (until they pick up new members), and means that some of the plotlines will honestly either be abandoned or have one of them shoehorned in - like the second half of Elspeth's Hero's Journey. Also Nissa has been retconned back and forth so much that nobody knows what she's actually supposed to BE like, so having one of the members of this group have no actual stable characterization other than 'green elf' is...kinda a bad thing.
The third complaint is that they managed to kill off two of the Eldrazi as the first thing they did as a full group. Something that they'd all but said outright was completely impossible, they did twice simultaneously - and in such a way to make it completely obvious that it was to get rid of the two that weren't as popular while keeping the Super Popular One around (and after retconning what Emrakul and Kozilek did to facilitate THAT as well...). They threw both of them under the grinder just to show off how powerful the group was working together when they could've done any number of other things to do that same thing (rebind them, drive them off, not involve kozilek), and did so in a way that made the worldeaters unable to eat a single world. There is no threat because they cannot perform what they are stated to do, and nothing of importance was lost - the underdevolped continents got ate, mostly, like three named characters from original zendikar are dead (tuktuk and the nondrana/kalitas bloodchiefs), and everything else is just offscreen 'yes horrible things are happening ooooooh'
>>
>indifferent to Jace and Maro

Simply intolerable.
>>
>>47433306
>Nissa
Still better than Garruk, who had no characterization other than 'me want to smash but too incompetent to do that right ever.'
>>
There are people that play for the lore?
...There's lore?
>>
>>47433306
Firstly I meant the problem with the story of Gatewatch, not the mechanics, which I don't really have an educated opinion on.

Secondly I don't really see the problem with reverting the story back to have a few characters as the main focuses like they used to do with the old Weatherlight stories. Also I think the SOI story is a pretty good example of a story that involves the Gatewatch without being about the Gatewatch, which is probably what is more likely to happen.

Thirdly, I agree, the Eldrazi deaths were a complete asspull. But then again I never cared about the Eldrazi or Zendikar as a setting period, so I guess it doesn't bother me as much.

>>47433329
Sorry senpai, I just don't see the big deal.

>>47433858
Yep. Good thing too, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered with it
>>
>>47432945
Again, I see where you're coming from, but expecting Dragons to not be evil doesn't make much sense to me. Besides, comparing the Praetors to the Dragons isn't really fair. Ones a threat to the multiverse and is going to be a long standing foe, while the other is a minor problem at best and opens itself up to a future conflict much sooner.
>>
>>47430413
not any other, most
>>
>>47430239
You're just playing casual. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you're visiting official tournaments and don't get why you're beaten 0-2 mostly.
>>
>Playing casual
As long as you have fun there is literally nothing wrong with it. Just do act superior because your deck is more "lore appropriate" or that everyone else's deck "doesn't have a theme".

Off-topic: If I offered someone $10 for a decent condition play set of lightning bolts, what are my chances they'll accept? The trade being face-to-face of course.
>>
>>47437866
>>47437927
Nah I don't really play to win
>>
>>47430239
Hi Vorthos
>>
>>47439639
Hi
>>
>>47433566
garruk was the raised by wolves, understands animals and lives the natural order survival of the fittest lifestyle guy. he only turned into garruk smash after he ran into liliana and they basically just flushed any possibility of a character for that. the webcomic with his backstory made him a sympathetic character that could've gone somewhere with the nature hermit/turbo ranger vibe.

garruk has as much wasted potential as nissa has contradiction
>>
>>47433306
I miss old Nissa. I read the entirety of that terrible Zendikar book they put out, and Nissa being a douche and a problem was the best part about that book. I liked that they were trying to create a character that wasn't baby/eating evil, but was by no means a good guy traditionally, and not in the edgy way. Having a racist asshole in the plot would be good for a character arc or to reflect other characters against.

NOPE!!!! Green elf animist because marketability.
>>
Honestly, I hate Jace because his flavor text makes him come across as the perfect stereotype of smug, overly superior, blue-playing autists. And I actually like blue, which just makes him more grating.
Then SoI story had him spending months to accomplish basically nothing, then he stumbles across Tamiyo, who actually knows what she's fucking doing, and then Sorin solves the current plot and nearly gets Avacyn to back down without breaking a sweat. If they actually play it with a hint of self awareness and let him be taken down a few notches by such a hilarious amount of failure, I'll like him a hell of a lot more.
They won't, because mainwalkers are not allowed personality beyond their color, but it would be really nice.
>>
>>47441218
I think most of the flavor text is funny, but whatever
>>
>>47430239
Absolutely not, you're the best kind of player.

People hate the dragons because they screwed over the Khan's factions order to appear, which were more widely desired and well received.

The Gatewatch sets the tone as a superhero story when some people wanted other things.

Jace is a bit of a cliche storm who is one of the characters most at the whim of the writers, and personifies a fair few of their fails. He is also reasonably overexposed at present, compared to other walkers.

Maro is one of the human faces of Wizards of the Coast that people vent at regarding the game.
>>
>>47441123
I wouldn't even mind if they had her actually, you know, working through that and becoming something different.
Instead, RETCONS NISSA DID NOTHING WRONG WAIT NO SHE WAS IN THE WRONG WAIT NO WHAT WERE WE TALKING ABOUT AGAIN
>>
>>47430239
Everybody that hates Maro is just jealous of his unparalleled Magic genius.
>>
>>47441218
The thing about Jace is that any Flavor Text Jace and Jace the acual character are two completely different entities. The smug superior Jace that talks down everyone? Doesn't actually exist - the Jace in Shadows is how he's always been. But because of the flavor texts, everyone has a completely wrong version of what Jace is like in their heads, and I can't blame them for that - it's a lot easier to note something from the cards you can find in the packs or look at online than in the books that you had to pay for and then read.
The fact that it's only once BfZ hit that people were able to see what the character was actually like - and then claim it was a 'new' characterization of him - is honestly kinda sad
>>
Wait, the other two titans are dead? I thought they were just imprisoned?
>>
>>47441218
> sorin, solving the plot
Look guys, I fell into exactly what the bad guy wanted me to do all along and have possibly doomed my home plane! I solved it good.
>>
>>47441612
WotC says they're dead. Take that for what it's worth
>>
>>47430239
You were cancer-free until

>Don't know why people complain about Gatewatch
>Or Jace
>Or Maro

c'mon man
>>
>>47432251
It's not about the dragons. It's about squatting the Khans clans. I think. And tarnsfroming wedge factions into yet-anoter-five-allied-colors factions
>>
>>47430239
>theme deck

Get the fuck out of my competitive game.
>>
>>47444934
Just don't see it.

>>47444993
I can understand that, but at least they are all different than, say, the Guilds
>>
>>47445008
Why? It should be an easy win for you, I'm having fun regardless, thats a win win
>>
>>47430239
Not really. You're having fun doing something completely harmless. Though your opinions on certain things aren't exactly popular.
>>
File: 1464183176079.jpg (122 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
1464183176079.jpg
122 KB, 750x450
>>47440691
Speaking of Garruk, I noticed this art of him in an old 'What are the Planeswalkers up to now' article. Is it just me, or is the crazy tendrils coming off him really similar to the stuff that's all over Innistrad? I know Emrakul is still the most likely big bad, but could it be possible that Garruk's going to show up and start fucking people up as well? Maybe his madness is spreading/being exacerbated by the Eldritch Moon.
>>
>>47430239
That's the problem with tarkir; outside of (some of) the dragonlords (and icefall regent), there really weren't any dragons of value or interest. It was extremely forgettable as a "dragon set".
>>
File: Male Androgyne.jpg (57 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
Male Androgyne.jpg
57 KB, 330x330
>>47446001
I guarantee Wizards forgot about that

>Nahiri completes ritual
>"Sorin! Now watch your plane fall!"
>Emrakul comes through the portal
>Shit starts getting fucked
>Garruk stumbles out of the woods
>Chops Nahiri's head off as she's demanding to know who he is
>Suplexes Emmy to oblivion
>"That was a pathetic quarry"
>Wanders off to bite the heads off squirrels
>Sorin, Jace, and Tamis face
>>
>>47446046
Speaking as someone who has no idea what makes a good card and a bad card, I thought it was pretty sweet
>>
File: 1462518929836.jpg (13 KB, 232x185) Image search: [Google]
1462518929836.jpg
13 KB, 232x185
>>47446118
>Liliana's face when she sees what she's created
>>
>>47446131
They REALLY needed to have had at the very least a cycle of common dragons - probably with drawbacks, likely themed as being injured or something.
>>
>>47446245
I was referring to the story of Dragons rather than the mechanics
>>
My main complaint about Gatewatch is that it was fucking boring. It managed to turn Zendikar into a fucking snore. We knew the outcome when the set of Oath was spoiled but we still had to go through the entire thing week by week.
I don't know how they managed to make it this much worse in BFZ when it was relatively fine in other story driven planes.
>>
>>47446531
Again, I always thought Zendikar was boring as hell, so I didn't really have any expectations to begin with
>>
>>47446118
The tendrils on soi look much different, look at thraben investigator.
>>
>>47434235
>Secondly I don't really see the problem with reverting the story back to have a few characters as the main focuses like they used to do with the old Weatherlight stories.
I'm sure it's great if you like the characters.
Wizards could not have hand-selected the bottom four members that I couldn't give less of a shit about for the GW. They could all have gotten ate and I would have felt nothing but joy.
>>
>>47446118
Garruk is on Shandalar. Well, if DOTP is canon anyways.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.